Sort file:- Dover, July, 2020.

Page Updated:- Wednesday, 22 July, 2020.

PUB LIST PUBLIC HOUSES Barry Smith and Paul Skelton

Earliest 1801

(Name from)


Latest 1940

52 St. James' Street Pikes 1924Pikes 1932-33

46 St. James' Street Pigot's Directory 1832-34Pigot's Directory 1839


Fox Inn

Above photo, date unknown.

St James Street

The Fox Inn, an old victualling house, was here and some of the houses in the picture, (1880) with slightly bowed fronts, are of the style popular at the time of George II. The St. James National School is the large building on the left.

Fox map

Above map post WW2. Fox is circled.

Fox 1940

Above photo, date circa 1940.


Two tenements were converted to provide this one, which stood on the corner with Fox Passage. Certainly present in 1803 and stating established 1801, historians generally agreeing that the passage was named after the pub. Be that as it may, the reader is advised that it had previously traded as "The Turkey Cock". Possibly 1776, my notes are disappointing. Reynolds certainly present in 1805. As an established freehold pub it invited offers in 1859 when Thomas Walker sold off the Phoenix brewery to Leney's. I do not know whether Leney's topok on this pub though.


From the Dover Telegraph and Cinque Ports General Advertiser, Saturday 16 November, 1833. Price 7d.


Yesterday an inquest was taken at the Fox Inn, St. Jame's Street before J W Pilcher, Esq, Mayor & Coroner, on the body of Benjamin Burwell a poor man who with his wife and several children resided in a cave beneath the Castle Cliff. The deceased accompanied by another man, was returning from Deal with a cart on Thursday night, and had taken on two soldiers of the Rifle brigade. The party rode at the side of the cart and when near Broad Lees Bottom, the float on which the deceased sat gave way, and he fell on his head with such violence as to cause his death within a very short time after his removal from the spot where the accident happened, to the auxiliary poor house of St. James parish.

Verdict. Accidental death.


From the Dover Telegraph and Cinque Ports General Advertiser, Saturday 25 July, 1840. Price 7d.


On Thursday, at half past 6 o'clock, an inquest was held before Mr. Thompson, the borough coroner, at the "Fox," St. James's Street, on view of the body of Elizabeth Hall, aged 78, who fell down at the corner of Townwall Street, on the previous day, and almost instantly expired. - Mr. Warren, Marine Library, deposed that he was passing Townwall Street about half past two  on Tuesday, when he saw the deceased fall down on the pavement. He on the instant sent a person that was near for a surgeon. Mt. Astley soon after arrived, but the poor woman was dead before he came. - Dr. Astley deposed that the deceased was a corpse before he saw her. He attributed her death to the rupture of a blood vessel, but could not speak positively as to this, as he had not made a post mortem examination of the body. There were no marks of violence on the body. - Elizabeth Bass deposed that the deceased, who was the widow of David Hall, of Dover, mariner, had lived with her as a lodger for five weeks. Deceased had been poorly, though not confined to bed, for a fortnight back; but said she was better yesterday, and went out at half-past two for the purpose of getting some cherries. - Examined by the foreman of the Jury-The deceased had often complained of witness to want. She had only 2s from the parish to live on, and out of this she paid 1s to witness for rent. Witness had known deceased to be two days without a mouthful of food; and she told witness that she had been necessitated to eat tea leaves as a substitute for bread. In short the state of distressed deceased was in was quite shocking. She did not complain of want to witness on the day she died; but she did the day before.- Mary Wye, age 17, granddaughter of deceased, said it was her practise to go and see her grandmother every morning. On day she died witness had called and been told by deceased that she was better. Had her her say that her grandmother had twice fallen down before; once when coming from the Union, and on another occasion; but did not know of her own knowledge know of the cause of these falls.- This being the evidence, the Coroner, in reference to that part of the evidence which represented deceased as suffering from want of food, very properly said, that if the Jury had any doubts on their minds, he would order a post mortum examination of the body. This, however, the Jury declined; and after a few seconds of consultation brought in their verdict that the deceased "Died by the visitation of God."


From the Dover Telegraph and Cinque Ports General Advertiser, Saturday 25 July, 1840. Price 7d.


On Thursday last, and inquest was held at the "Fox Inn," before G. T. Thompson, Esq., Coroner for the Borough, and a respectable jury, over the body of Mrs. Elizabeth Hall, widow, aged 87 years, who dropped down dead in Townwall Street, o Wednesday, the 22nd inst.

George Warren, librarian, deposed that about half past two on Wednesday afternoon, as he was passing the corner in Townwall Street, he saw the deceased lying on the pavement. There were two women with her at the time. He immediately sent for a surgeon, and assisted in conveying deceased into the garden of the Rev. Mr. Drake, where she lay till the surgeon arrived.

Dr. Astley, surgeon, deposed, that he was called upon by a stranger. to go and attend the deceased. He found her in the garden of the Rev. Mr. Drake, quite dead. The cause of death, he thought, in all probability was from the bursting of a blood vessel; but of that he could not speak positively in the absence of a post mortem examination of the body.

Mrs. Elizabeth Bass said the deceased lodged at her house. She was the widow of D. Hall, fisherman, aged 78. Deceased had complained of being poorly during the last fortnight, but on Wednesday morning she stated that she was quite well; and about half-past two o'clock went out, stating that her appetite failed her very much, and she would go out to see if she could get some ripe cherries.

By the Jury: Deceased was in very low circumstances not having more than two shillings a week from the parish, out of which sum she had to pay her rent. I have known deceased to be without anything to eat for 2 days together; and have known her to eat leaves with fish, in lieu of bread, she not having any money to purchase bread with. On the morning of her decease, she had some meat and bread sent to her by a neighbouring butcher's wife.

Mary Wise, grand-daughter to the deceased, deposed, that she had been i the habit of visiting her grand-mother every day; she had been very poorly of late, but was much better yesterday morning. She had heard her say that deceased had dropped in two different fits.

The Jury then gave the verdict of "Died by the visitation of God."


From the Dover Telegraph and Cinque Ports General Advertiser, Saturday 14 November, 1840.


FRIDAY, NOV 5. - Richard Butler, charged by policeman Drenner, with keeping his house, the "Fox," open during divine service on Sunday.

Fined 13s. including costs.


From the Dover Telegraph and Cinque Ports General Advertiser, Saturday 6 March, 1841. Price 5d.


Yesterday afternoon, an inquest on the body of Mrs. Elizabeth Jones, wife of the late Mr. Walter Jones, aged 68 years, was held at the "Fox Inn," before G. T. Thompson, Esq. when the following particulars connected with her death were brought before the jury.

Mrs. Margaret Jones, on being sworn, deposed that she had known the deceased for some years past, having been in the habit of going to her house to work. She saw the deceased on Tuesday last, the day on which her husband died, when she seemed much troubled. Deceased took two or three opium pills before she went to bed, as was her usual custom, she believed, from her being troubled from a cough. Deceased had a small bottle of brandy in the house, but she did not see her drink any; but on the following day, when she visited the house, she perceived that about half of it had been drunk. Witness visited the deceased at about half-past seven on Wednesday morning, when she was fast asleep; and, on looking at her, perceived that she did not look so well as usual. She then went and called Mrs. Goodban, the nurse, and acquainted her of the facts. They then sent for the daughter of the deceased, and subsequently for a surgeon. The surgeon aroused the deceased, and gave them some medicine to give her every four hours, with directions to keep her awake. It was with difficulty, however, that they could keep the deceased roused up; and at about half-past seven that evening she gradually sunk and died.

James Cuthbert Ottaway, surgeon, deposed that he was sent for to visit the deceased between one and two on Wednesday afternoon. On his arrival at the house, he found her in bed, partly insensible, and labouring under the effects of narcotic. Upon enquiry he found that she had been in the habit of taking large quantities of opium for some considerable time past; but he was unable to learn whether she had taken more than her usual dose on the previous night. He questioned the attendants whether she had taken any spirits, and found that she had drank a small quantity of brandy. As he was satisfied by her state that she was effected by the opium, he used the usual means to arouse her, and succeeded pretty well. He remained with her about half an hour, during which time she seemed in a peculiarly sleepy state. He ordered that she should be kept roused, and prescribed stimulants for the same purpose. At about half-past six o'clock, he was sent for again, and told that she was suddenly worse. He went and found that she was dying. He believed that a sudden effusion had taken place on the brain, produced in all probability, or accelerated by the opium, which was the cause of death. Under the circumstance of grief, occasioned by the loss of her husband the day before, the same quantity of opium, or a little more than she had been in the habit of taking, would be enough to produce the effects which he witnessed. Four grains of opium in an adult, not accustomed to it, had been known to produce death; but to a person accustomed to use it regularly, from 5 to 7 grains might be taken with impunity.

The size of pills which he understood the deceased took, would contain about two grains and a half each.

Death from opium usually occurs about 7 or 8 hours after taking it; but a small quantity of opium would delay the effect. The deceased was a likely subject for an effusion on the brain, independently of her taking narcotic.

Catherine Goodban said that she went to the house of Mrs. Jones, on Tuesday morning, for the purpose of nursing her husband. She remained in the house all day with Mrs. Jones who was exceedingly full of grief. She saw her take some opium pills just before she went to bed; but did not know how many; there might be 2 or 3 more. She also drank a little brandy and water. Deceased was not at all restless during the night; but when witness arose in the morning, she perceived that she did not look so well as usual, but was fast asleep, and she continued to sleep till the surgeon came in the afternoon. When the surgeon came, he roused her up, and ordered them to continue to do so, but it was with the greatest difficulty that they could keep her awake. She died about half-past seven in the evening.

Verdict - "That death was caused by an effusion of the brain, caused by excessive grief from the death of her husband."


Kentish Gazette, 12 March 1844.


The following affidavit has been forwarded to us from the solicitor of the parties engaged in the petition of Richard Butler, late of the "Fox Inn," Dover.

I, the undersigned William Butler, of Canterbury, being now in my perfect slate of mind, do voluntarily and most solemnly declare that the evidence I gave at this trial was given by me while labouring under a severe attack of nervous excitement, and totally incorrect, and that the following I declare to be the truth, so help me God:—

I lent my brother, Richard Butler, the sum of four hundred pounds, on the 4th November, 1839, and on the 15th June, 1840, the further sum of two hundred pounds, for both these sums I look I.O.U's at the time of lending the money, and gave my brother to understand that the money as aforesaid was to be paid back to me on or before the 20th September,1843, that Mr. Charles Butler, Turson and Lott, were present at my lending the said sum of four hundred pounds, and I firmly believe that at the request of Richard Butler, a memorandum was made as to my words, and signed by these parties at the time as aforesaid, as also as to Mr. Lott and Terson being present at my lending the two hundred pounds, and that a similar memorandum was made And that the goods at the "Fox Inn," in Dover, were valued to me in September, 1843, &c., and that a memorandum as to how the account between myself and brother stood was signed by the parties, and in my presence in the Front Parlour of the "Fox Inn," and not in the Back Parlour as previously stated by me, there being no such room in the said house, and that the evidence given in this trial by Mr Terson, Lott, Charles and Richard Butler, is strictly the truth, so help my God. As witness my hand this eleventh day of March, one thousand eight hundred and forty-four.


Sworn before me, this 11th March. 1844.

Edward Wootton, Magistrate for Canterbury.


From the Dover Telegraph and Cinque Ports General Advertiser, Saturday 4 January, 1845. Price 5d.


This ancient order is now in a flourishing condition in Dover. Since the occupation of the "Fox Inn" by the present worthy host, the attendance of the brethren has been very numerous, and fourteen candidates have been initiated during the past quarter. On Monday  last a medal was voted to P. G. W. Tart, in token of the respect entertained for him by the brethren.


From the Dover Telegraph and Cinque Ports General Advertiser, Saturday 8 June, 1846. Price 5d.


An inquest was held on Saturday last, at the "Fox Inn, St. James-street, before G. T. Thompson, Esq., Coroner to the Borough, on the body of an unbaptized infant, aged 3 weeks, son of Caroline White, spinster.

Caroline White being called deposed - The child slept with me and my niece on Wednesday. About 2 or 3 o'clock the child awake, and appeared in pain, but soon went off as if asleep. I laid it up on the pillow, and fell asleep. A little before 6, my sister, Mrs. Butler, came to call me, and soon after, as the child did not look as usual, I sent the girl for my sister, who came and took the child into her room, and then sent for a surgeon, who came about 7 o'clock, and said the child was dead. The child never had any convulsions or fits, but appeared to suffer from a heaving of the chest. I always laid the child on my pillow, for fear it should get suffocated under the clothes.

James Cuthbert Ottaway, surgeon, deposed - On Thursday morning, about 7 o'clock, I was called to attend at the "Fox," where I found the child dead. It appeared to have been dead 2 or 3 hours. There were no external marks of violence, and I could come to no conclusion as to the cause of death, I have since made a post mortem examination, and found the brain, lungs, and all the viscera healthy, except the kidneys and bladder, the former of which were much inflamed, and the latter were enormously distended. These appearances were the result of disease, and sufficient to cause death. The witness further stated that it was a most extraordinary case, there being no obstruction whatsoever in the urethra, but explained that it might have been spasmodic, which would cease with death. In rely to a question from Mr. J. B. Adams, the foreman of the jury, Mr. Ottaway said he was perfectly satisfied that no unfair treatment had been practised on the child, and the jury returned a unanimous verdict of "Natural Death."


From the Dover Telegraph and Cinque Ports General Advertiser, Saturday 14 November, 1846. Price 5d.


Friday November 5th: Richard Butler, charged by policeman Drenner, with keeping his house, the "Fox," open during divine service on Sunday. Fined 13s. including costs.


Maidstone Journal and Kentish Advertiser, Saturday 16 July 1859.

To let by tender.

The following public houses situate in and near Dover, Eastry, and Folkestone, viz:-

1. The "Bull Inn," Eastry.

2. The "Halfway House" and land, on the Dover and Canterbury Road.

3. The "Chequers," at Folkestone.

4. The "Chequers" and land, at West Hougham.

5. The "Red Lion," at Charlton.

6. The "Fox," in St James's Street.

7. The "Ordnance Arms," in Queen Street.

8. The "Cause is Altered," in Queen Street.

9. The "True Briton," on Commercial Quay.

10. The "Three Kings," in Union Street.

11. The "Fleur-de-Lis," in Council House Street.

12. The "Cinque Port Arms," in Clarence Place.

13. The "Red Lion" in St James's Street.

14. The "Dolphin," in Dolphin Lane.

The above houses are to be let as free houses, in consequence of the proprietors of the Dolphin Lane Brewery discontinuing that business.

The holdings of the present Tenants expire under notice to quit, as follows, viz:- No. 2, on the 6th January next, No. 3, on the 6th July, 1860, No. 10, at Lady Day next, No. 13, on the 23rd October next, No. 14, on the 6th April next, and reminder on the 11th October next.

Tenders must be sent into the offices of Mr. Edward Knocker, Castle Hill, Dover, on or before the 20th day of July next, marked on the cover "Tender."

Particular and Terms of hiring, with the forms of Tender, to be obtained on application to Mr. knocker, or Mr. Thomas Robinson, Estate Agent, Bench Street, Dover.

Tenders may be given for the whole together or separately. The Tenders will be accepted subject to the houses being sold on or before the 20th day of September next, and the proprietors do not bind themselves to accept the lowest or any tender.

N.B. The proprietors are open to treat for letting the Brewery, Malthouse, and Premises, in Dolphin Lane.

Edward Knocker. Castle Hill, Dover, June, 1859.


From the Dover Express and East Kent Intelligencer, 20 May, 1865.


Henry Foster, landlord of the "Fox Inn," summoned by Police-sergeant Bayley for serving on a Sunday last during divine service, was fined 5s. and costs.



From the Dover Express and East Kent Intelligencer, 5 October, 1866.


Stephen Eccles and John Helpin, soldiers of the 75th Regiment, were charged with stealing three sixpences and two farthings from the till of the "Fox Inn," St. James's Street, on the previous day.

It appeared that the prisoners went into the "Fox" between eleven and twelve o'clock on the previous day. They came to the bar and asked for some beer, with which the landlady (Mrs. Forster) supplied them. As they were standing in front of the bar, Mrs. Forster had occasion to leave the bar, to give some directions to her servant. While she was away she heard a sound which she immediately recognised from its peculiarity as the shutting of her till. On coming back she accused the prisoners of the robbery, having found on looking into the till that three sixpences and two farthings had been taken out of it during her absence. She threatened that if they did not give up the money she would send for the police. She accused Helpin of the robbery, but he declared he had not got the money; but at the same time he let a sixpence and a farthing drop upon the ground. The wife of a sergeant who was present said, "He has got some more money in his hand," and he then delivered up two more sixpences and a farthing. He put the money on the counter. The landlady then sent for the police.

In cross-examining by Helpin Mrs. Forster said she would not swear whether the till was opened or shut when she left the bar to speak to her servant.

In answer to the Magistrates Mrs. Forster said the prisoner Helpie sat sufficiently near to the till to reach it with his hand.

Police-constable George Raymond said that on the previous morning, about half-past eleven, he received information as to a robbery at the "Fox." He went to the house and saw the last witness, he pointed out to him the prisoner Eccles, who was in a public house opposite. In consequence of what she said to him he called Eccles across and asked Mrs. Forster in his presence if he was the man who had robbed her. She said he was not, and that the man who did it ran away. He asked Eccles some questions as to the other man and on Eccles declining to give him satisfactory answers he told him he must take him into custody. While he was speaking police-constable Faith came in, and with faith's assistance Eccles was taken to the station-house. In going out of the door Eccles kicked witness severely in the back; but after that he went away very quietly till he reached the bottom of Queen Street, when he resisted very much tripping witness up. On getting to the station-house the prisoner assaulted him again. In consequence if information given by Eccles on arriving at the station-house Helpin was afterwards taken into custody, being found by the witness and faith at the "White Horse" public house. Mrs. Forster and her servant went with them, and pointed out Helpin as the man who had robbed the till. On telling him that he was taken into custody on a charge of robbing the till of the "Fox" he pretended not to know where the public house was. When the charge was read over to him at the station-house he said he should make no statement there, but should tell all to the Magistrates.

Both prisoners desired that they might be dealt with summarily. Helpin, on being asked to plead, said he was "not-guilty - of taking the money out of the till," Eccles also said he was not-guilty.

On the prisoners being told that they might make any statement they pleased, Helpin said that during the time he and Eccles were drinking the beer, the landlady went to the till and took out some money which she left on the counter while she went from the bar. He admitted taking the money from the counter, but declared he gave it back to the landlady as soon as she discovered her loss.

The Magistrates ordered the prisoners to be imprisoned for three weeks, with hard labour. Eccles, for his assault on the police-constable, was fined 5s.; in default, an additional week's imprisonment.


From the Dover Express and East Kent Intelligencer, 19 April, 1867. Price 1d.


Notice of intention to build a store at the rear of the "Fox Inn," St. James's Street, was received from Mr. T. W. Richardson. This was in lieu of a notice to build a house on the same site, the place of which were disapproved by the Board some weeks since on the ground that sufficient air space had not been left. Mr. Richardson was aware of the disapproval, but had persisted on building the house on the ground that because he had left part of the old wall standing it would not be considered a new building within the meaning of the act; but the Town Clerk read an opinion of the counsel (Mr. F. M. White) from which it appeared in this case the building must be regarded as a new building and must come under the operation of the bye-laws. Notice had consequently been given to Mr. Richardson; and hence the withdrawal of the old and substitution of the new plans, which were referred to the Surveyor in the usual way.

A notice from Mr. W. J. Adcock of his intention to alter the premises, 51, High Street, by carrying out the front, was presented; but the plans being in some way defective they were referred back to Mr. Adcock for further details.


From the Dover Express and East Kent Intelligencer, 2 August, 1867.


Henry Forster, the landlord of the "Fox," an elderly individual of burly appearance, was summoned on the complaint of his wife, Ann Forster, who charged him with assaulting her and declared she went in bodily fear in consequence of his threats.

The defendant pleaded provocation by return of Mrs. Forster's fondness of liquor and her disinterest from to perform her domestic duties. She was in the habit of going away from home and staying away for days and nights altogether. Mr. Forster said, and when at home there was "no doing anything with her" from the infirmity to which he had referred.

Mrs. Forster, who appeared in a state of great nervous excitement, so that she was unable to give the Court any clear amount of the particular acts which had caused her to take the present proceedings, detailed in a confused manner various enormities on the part of her husband, including the emptying of water-jugs upon her as she lay in bed, the breaking of a hand-basin about her head, and knocking her down like a bullock. She had endured his ill-treatment eight and thirty years, and she thought it time to complain.

The Magistrates told Mrs. Forster that she must confine herself to particular acts, and she then, with much discursive reference to the general conduct of "that monster," as she termed her husband, gave the Bench to understand that on the previous Thursday the defendant had struck her and had threatened to stab her. He had threatened her on several other occasions. She concluded by stating that all she wanted was " peace" and a "maintenance."

The Magistrates said they could not procure her a maintenance, as that was a point about which they could not interfere, but they would endeavour to preserve the peace. Did she, in consequence of these threats, go in bodily fear?

The complainant said she wished to have nothing to do with him. All she wished was a "maintenance."

Mr. Ottaway: Yes, yes; but do you go in bodily fear?

The complainant said, why of course she did. She had her eyes which she could not see out of, owing to their being blacked and blued from top to bottom.

Defendant: All false, your worships. (To complainant). Tell the Magistrates how you're every night after night, drunk.

Mr. Ottaway (to defendant): The Magistrates are bound to take recognizance of this complaint; but they find the justice of the case will be met by your being bound over in your own recognizance of 20.

The defendant (producing his pocket book, and taking out some bank notes): Certainly I will, like a little cock-bird. (Laughter.)

Magistrates: We don't want you to pay any money. The effect of your being bound over to keep the peace is, find if you assault your wife, or threaten her, within the next six months, you will have to pay the 20, but not without.

Defendant: Then I don't agree to it. I'd rather pay the money now.

Mr. Ottaway: But we cannot take it. Wife beating is not a luxury that can be purebased for 20, or any other sum. The question is, will you keep the peace?

Defendant (after some hesitation): Under circumstance. (Laughter.)

Complainant (from the other end of the Court): Give me a "maintenance."

Mr. Ottaway: Do sit down, my good woman, and let me deal with your husband, if that be possible. (To the defendant.) Will you promise to keep the peace, because if you do not, I shall have to send you to prison.

Defendant: Will you bind her down to keep the peace too?

Mr. Ottaway: We cannot do that at present.

Defendant: Ah, that's where it is. I can't agree to it: I'd rather pay the money.

The Magistrates informed Mr. Forster that the alternative would be that he would have to go to prison, and he then reluctantly "promised to hold to the Queen." &c, and having paid the costs, though he gravely doubted whether he was "justified" in paying them, seeing that his wife had gone to the law and not himself, he slowly left the Court, Mrs. Forster following him, with the intention of doing what she could to produce a maintenance.


From the Dover Express and East Kent Intelligencer, 6 September, 1867.


Henry Robert Foster, the landlord of the "Fox Inn," St. James's Street, was charged with causing an obstruction of the footway, while in a state of drunkenness, yesterday afternoon.

Mr. T. Lewis appeared for the defendant.

It appeared from circumstances deposed to by police-constable Baker that the defendant and his wife, who did not live together on the most amicable terms, the Magistrates having more than once been appealed to in the settlement of their grievances, were quarrelling on the previous afternoon about three o'clock when the defendant came to the door and made use of very obscene language. The constable told him he must be quiet, when the defendant made use of dreadful epithets both towards himself (witness) and Mrs. Foster.

Mr. H. J. Meadows was called as a witness. He deposed that Foster and his wife were "having a fall out" on the previous afternoon about the time stated, and came to the door in a state of great excitement. They were throwing liquor at each other and made use of some other missiles.

In cross-examination the witness declared that there was no ill-feeling existing in his mind in consequence of a dispute he had had with the defendant as to the valuation of his effects, when he took the "Fox."

Mr. Lewis having addressed the Bench on the defendant's behalf.

The Magistrates fined the defendant 10s. and 7s. costs, which he paid.

Ann Foster, the wife of the defendant, was charged by police-constable Corrie with drunkenness. The offence arose out of the circumstances just deposed to, though it was not till twenty minutes to one this morning that the woman was taken into custody. She was then found sitting on a step in St. James's Street, in a state of drunkenness, and was making a great noise, which disturbed the neighbourhood. She had been endeavouring to gain admission to her husband's house.

The bench fined her 2s. 6d. and costs 6s.; in default, four days' imprisonment.

The defendant said she would send for the money. 


From the Dover Express and East Kent Intelligencer, 16 January, 1874. Price 1d.


Mr. A. Annett, of the "Fox Inn," St. James's street, applied for an extension of time on Wednesday night, when the annual dinner of Dover Odd Fellows was to take place. The house would be closed to the general public at the usual hour.

The Bench said they had previously refused similar applications and could not make an exception in this case.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday 11 January, 1884. 1d.


Mr. W. Mowll applied on behalf of Mr. Beaton Bushell for permission to draw at the “Fox Inn”, Townwall Street, and said that the applicant had kept the “Admiral Owen Inn,” Sandwich, for five years, and also worked for the firm of seed merchant Messrs. Bradley Bros., of Sandwich and Dover. The number of hands during the past year had been lessened, and Mr. Bushell was one that was discharged, and this effected him so much that he took to drinking, and that was reported against him and the license was renewed at the last annual renewals on the condition that the owner of the house Mr. Webb promised to give the applicant notice to leave by Christmas. He (Mr. Mowll) would now ask the Bench to give the applicant another trial and grant permission to draw till the next transfer day, the 6th of March, and if he sustained the good character he had at Sandwich the license would be renewed, but if not he would have to get out of the house. There was a letter from Mr. Hughes, the Mayor of Sandwich, stating that the applicant's house had been a well conducted one during the time he had kept it.

The Bench after a short consultation, said that they could not accede to the application – it would not be kind or charitable to place the applicant in such a position again – after he had been in some other pursuit and showed that he was capable of keeping from drink, then permission might be granted. At present it would be placing him in temptation to put him in his old place again. The application would be refused.


Canterbury Journal, Kentish Times and Farmers' Gazette, 22 January 1898.

A publican and his niece.

William Dobson, landlord of the "Fox Inn," Dover, was summoned to show cause why he should not contribute towards the support of the illegitimate male child of Louisa Frances Johnston, now living at 16, St. Georges Lane, Canterbury, of which he was the alleged father.

Mr Rutley Mowll appeared for complainant, and Mr H Broughton representing the defendant, who pleaded not guilty.

It appeared that at the time of the offence defendant, the uncle of complainant, was landlord of the "Royal Mortar," Military Hill, and that at Christmas, 1895, complainant, who was then nearly 18, became an inmate of defendants house and assisted in the bar. She had no cause of complaint to make against him for a considerable time, but on the 14th July, 1896, defendant's wife went to Canterbury for a fortnight's holiday, leaving her husband and complainant at home, and it was during her absence that the offence was committed. Defendant, at the time, requested her to say nothing about what took place, but that at any time she wanted money he would be pleased to supply her with it. She left the house in September, 1896, and defendant paid her her wages up to date, beside giving her five shillings and a bottle of port wine. The Johnson's spent Christmas that year with the Dobson's, and complainant's condition was mentioned. In the beginning of January, complainant received a letter from her Uncle as follows; "Are you going to correspond with me? If you want any money right to T, "Fox Inn," St. James's Street, Dover.

On the 14th April, 1897, the child was born, and a fortnight afterwards complainant told her that the defendant was the father of the child. A letter was sent by complainant's father to defendant as follows:- "I suppose you have heard of the disgraced sent home to me. Your niece has had a child, and it is yours. Your wife wants to keep the matter from being exposed, and unless something is paid towards the expense the matter will be placed in the hands of a solicitor. It is one of the most unmanly acts for an uncle to do."

Mr Mowll called upon defendant to give evidence, and he absolutely denied ever having seduce the girl. He also said that never at any time had he behaved with impropriety to her. He admitted giving her port wine and five shillings extra, but said his wife paid her her wages. He denied sending the girl a letter, and never told her that if she wanted money she was to write to him. He never knew that he was mentioned as the father until he received Johnson's letter. He showed it to his wife, and he would not have done that has he been guilty. It was quite true that he agreed to take the child and keep it, but he did that because the affair happened at his house.

Mr Broughton submitted that the letter of correspondence was a concoction on the girl's part, though he was grieved to have to say it. He also submitted that Mrs Dobson was in the house on the 14th July, and never left till the following day.

The bench ordered defendant to contribute 2s. 6d. a week until the child attained the age of 15, and also to pay the costs.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 20 May, 1904. Price 1d.


An occasional license was granted to Mr. Dobson, of the “Fox Inn,” for the supply of refreshments at the Danes on Whit Monday, from 10 a.m. to 8.p.m.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday 4 January, 1907. Price 1d.


Re. William Dobson, Licensed Victualler.

This debtor returned his liabilities at 155 18s. 6d. and estimated his assets to produce 41 8s. 8d. leaving a deficiency of 117 14s. 2d.

Debtor stated that formerly he was a baker at Canterbury, and that about fifteen years ago he took the “Bell Inn,” St. James's Street, Dover, the ingoing valuation being between 150 and 160. He had about 20 of his own, and borrowed the balance required to pay the amount of the valuation from relatives. Subsequently he took the “Unity,” Palace Street, Canterbury, and later the “Royal Morter,” Millitary Hill, Dover, while ten years ago he took the “Fox Inn,” St. James's Street, Dover. That house paid and he was able to repay the money he had borrowed. About six years ago he took a contract in a conjunction with Edward Seinford Fry to supply the Dover Athletic Ground. No deed of partnership was entered into, but they arranged to share the profits. As a matter of fact there was a considerable loss on that contract, and Fry left him, and all the creditors came on him (debtor) to pay. He paid them as well as he could out of the profits at the “Fox Inn.” During the last two or three years the trade of his house had not been so good, and he gave up the “Fox Inn” about six months ago. The valuation he received on leaving he paid to his creditors, each of whom received something on account. Debtor then borrowed 25 from his wife and purchased a small drapery and stationary business at 246, Folkestone Road, Dover. He agreed to the purchase price at 52, and paid 25 on account. He soon found out that the business was not paying him. The person from whom he purchased it represented the takings at 7 a week, but he did not take 3 a week.

In reply to Mr. Rutley Mowll, who appeared on behalf of Mrs. Harrison, the vendor of the drapery business, bankrupt admitted that he employed a valuer and that the purchase price of 52 was fixed by him. He also admitted that the 52 was for the stock, and that nothing was included for goodwill.

The examination was closed.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 8 October, 1937.


Fox Darts team 1937

The "Fox" Inn team, of St. James' Street, Dover, winners of the Shepherdswell "Quads" Darts Competition. This team has also been runners-up in the Dover Darts League for the past two seasons. From left to right:- J. Curtis, J. Whitnall, B. Whitnall and M. Booker.


Dover express 22 April 1938.


The final of the Dover licensed victuallers' darts knock-out competition was played on Wednesday evening, when the “Fox Inn” defeated the “Dew Drop Inn” by six games to five. The winning team was :- B. Whitnall (captain), J. Whitnall, J. Curtis, M. Broker, F. Matcham, W. Murphy, A Brookes, D. Shoesmith, G. Rogers and T. Swindells. At the conclusion, the cup was presented to the winners by Mr. W. Drennan, chairman of the association.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 29 April, 1938.


Fox Inn Darts Team 1938


Winners, for the second year in succession, of the Dover Licensed Victuallers' Dart League. Reading from left to right:- G. Rogers, W. Murphy, E. Shoesmith, J. Whitnall, A. Brookes, B. Whitnall, F. Matcham, T. Swindells, M. Booker and J. Curtis.



It was closed following war damage in world war two and a compulsory purchase order was made by the town in January 1954 and confirmed in May 1955 for the site and war damaged-building. A converted value payment was made in 1957 for 2,400.


The property was demolished by August the same year.




ALLMAN Ephraim 1823 Pigot's Directory 1823

MOORE Young 1826-28+ Pigot's Directory 1828-29

MARSH William 1832-39+ Pigot's Directory 1832-34Pigot's Directory 1839

MARSH Jane Ellen 1840 Pigot's Directory 1840

BUTLER Richard 1840-41

UPTON Harold 1847 Bagshaw's Directory 1847

BETTS Richard 1850-51 (age 49 in 1851Census)

Last pub licensee had BRACKENBURY William Palmer 1850 end Next pub licensee had

WICKHAM William 1854-59

FORSTER Henry R 1864-68 end Dover Express

WOOD G to Jan/1868 Dover Express

FORSTER H R Jan/1868+ Dover Express

ANNETT William Enos Nov/1870-74 end Next pub licensee had Dover Express

McEWEN Andrew 1874-Jan/75 Dover ExpressPost Office Directory 1874

STEVENS Alfred Jan/1875-76 (victualler, London) Dover Express

FRIEND Thomas 1878

JOHNSON William to May/1878 Next pub licensee had Dover Express

Last pub licensee had TWIGGS John July/1878-1882 (age 33 in 1881Census) Dover ExpressPost Office Directory 1882

HOGBEN John 1891-Jan/97 Dover ExpressPost Office Directory 1891

Last pub licensee had DOBSON William Jan/1897-Aug/1906 Next pub licensee had (age 33 in 1901Census) Dover ExpressKelly's Directory 1899Post Office Directory 1903Post Office Directory 1903

Last pub licensee had BAKER Josiah bentley B Aug/1906-11 (age 57 in 1911Census) Next pub licensee had Dover Express

NORRIS Albert George 1911-Sept/14 Next pub licensee had Post Office Directory 1913Dover Express

WATKINS Arthur James Sept/1914-30 end Dover ExpressPost Office Directory 1922Pikes 1923Pikes 1924Post Office Directory 1930 (Formerly a baker working for River and District CO-OP)

WHITNALL Richard Henry 1930-39 dec'd Pikes 1932-33Post Office Directory 1938Pikes 1938-39

WHITNALL Jack P 1939-Aug/40 (age 23 in 1939) Dover Express

WHITNALL Effie (widow) Aug/1940+ Dover Express


Pigot's Directory 1823From the Pigot's Directory 1823

Pigot's Directory 1828-29From the Pigot's Directory 1828-9

Pigot's Directory 1832-34From the Pigot's Directory 1832-33-34

Pigot's Directory 1839From the Pigot's Directory 1839

Pigot's Directory 1840From the Pigot's Directory 1840

Bagshaw's Directory 1847From Bagshaw Directory 1847

Post Office Directory 1874From the Post Office Directory 1874

Post Office Directory 1882From the Post Office Directory 1882

Post Office Directory 1891From the Post Office Directory 1891

Kelly's Directory 1899From the Kelly's Directory 1899

Post Office Directory 1903From the Post Office Directory 1901

Post Office Directory 1903From the Post Office Directory 1903

Post Office Directory 1913From the Post Office Directory 1913

Post Office Directory 1922From the Post Office Directory 1922

Pikes 1923From Pikes Dover Blue Book 1923

Pikes 1924From Pikes Dover Blue Book 1924

Post Office Directory 1930From the Post Office Directory 1930

Pikes 1932-33From Pikes Dover Blue Book 1932-33

Post Office Directory 1938From the Post Office Directory 1938

Pikes 1938-39From Pikes Dover Blue Book 1938-39

Dover ExpressFrom the Dover Express



If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-