Sort file:- Dover, July, 2021.

Page Updated:- Saturday, 31 July, 2021.

PUB LIST PUBLIC HOUSES Barry Smith and Paul Skelton

Earliest 1823+

(Name from 1)

(Name from 2)

Cinque Ports Arms

Open 2020+

9 Clarence Place

Claremont Place Bagshaw's Directory 1847


01304 203557

Cinque Port Arms

Cinque Port Arms date unknown.

Cinque Port Arms circa 1980
Cinque Port Arms circa 1980
Cinque Ports from viaduct
Cinque Port Arms circa 1980

Above coloured photos circa 1980 by Barry Smith.

Cinque Port Arms

Above photo showing pub in Whitbread's days.

Cinque Port Arms sign 1991

Telegraph sign August 1991.

Above with thanks from Brian Curtis

Cinque Port Arms 2008

Above photo 2008, by Roger Hurst.


As an outlet of Walker, previous to 1814, the sign was "Coach and Horses" and this name is again listed in Pigot's directory of 1823.


An examination of the beams in the sixties of the twentieth century, led to the conclusion that the property was over three hundred years old. A pair of slippers with turned up toes, as worn by the jesters of the day, was discovered in the brickwork. Further corroboration was provided in January 1982 when internal alterations brought to light a large fireplace or inglenook of the early sixteenth century. Perhaps also of interest, was the opinion of the experts at the time that the cellar may well have been part of a previous building. It certainly shows on Harbour Board maps of 1624 but it is not possible to confirm its connection with the trade that year.


The thoroughfare itself had been known as King's Head Street but by 1676 it was referred to as Crane Street or Crane Quay. The houses opposite the pub were fronted by a quay thirty five feet wide. They were taken down between 1812 and 1814. Some may have survived to 1822. I would not know if it applied to those particular houses but up to 1812 the leases in that area were for twenty one years. After that, many were for sixty one years. Prints do exist, one may still have its place on the wall here, which show boats moored opposite the inn.


From the Dover Telegraph and Cinque Ports General Advertiser, Saturday 4 May, 1850. Price 5d.


On Monday evening at 7 o'clock, a jury was empanelled at the  "Cinque Ports Arms," at the Pier, before George Thomas Thompson, Esq., Coroner for the Borough, on the body of James Diplock, aged 40 years, one of the men employed in the "diving" department  at the Harbour of Refuge Works, who met his death in the morning of that day by injuries sustained from falling from an elevated portion of the Works. On the assembly of the jury Mr. William Parrish was appointed foreman; and they having been severely sworn, a view of the body took place, after which the depositions were made:-

James Morris - I am engaged with the diving bells at the New Harbour Works. I knew the deceased, who was also a diver. This morning, the deceased, with myself and others, was at the works. We were engaged in removing some timber on the top of the pier, a and the deceased ascended to the stage of the "traveller" in order to make a "taught" a chain which was used to prevent its being put in motion by the wind or other causes. His accent was in the customary way. Whether his foot slipped or not I cannot say, but shortly afterwards fell from the stage, passing by the timber on to the stonework, which was just a few courses above the foundation. I think he fell from 20 to 30 feet; and I and others went down directly to pick him up, but before we could do so a wave washed him from the spot, and he floated on the water, motionless, from 15 to 20 minutes ere we could get to him. Deceased was then taken to the engine-house, where Mr. E. Sibbit, surgeon, was already in attendance, and the usual means of restoration was resorted to, but without success. The fall was purely accidental.

William Mantle, labourer at the works, corroborated the above evidence, and stated that restorative means were used by Mr. Sibbit for upwards of an hour and a half.

No other evidence being required by the jury, the Coroner summed up, and a verdict to the following effect was afterwards returned:- That the deceased, James Diplock, was killed by an accidental fall at the works of the new pier.

The deceased was a married man, and had a family of two children. At the close of the investigation Mr. W. Wakeley, the pay clerk at the works, stated that he had instructions from the Messrs. Lee, the contractors, to discharge on their behalf the expenses attending the internment of the deceased, and he had no doubt some provision would be made for the bereaved wife and children.


Kentish Gazette, 4 June 1850.

Attempted Self-Destruction.

On Wednesday’ evening between eight and nine o’clock, a respectably-attired female, a native of Belgium, engaged one of the rowing boats on the beach for the alleged purpose of a short trip off in the bay. A man named Charles Baker was the boatman accompanying her. When about two miles from the shore, the lady, who was sitting with her back towards Baker, put her hand into her pocket and pulled out her purse, which she throw into the man's lap and instantly jumped overboard. Baker fortunately caught hold of her gown before she reached the water, and after some exertion succeeded in grasping her arm, which she held fast, at the same time crying out "Boat, boat!" He then managed to pull her on the side of the boat, in which position he held her for a quarter of an hour, and ultimately got her into the boat, where she lay exhausted for awhile; but on recovering, she again attempted to jump overboard, and a struggle ensued between her and Baker, who at last got her down, and held her till a boat from the lugger Isabelle of Deal, arrived, when one of the men came into Baker’s boat, and assisted him in holding the lady while the others rowed them ashore. She was then taken to the "Cinque Ports’ Arms," and placed under the strictest surveillance for the night, and in the morning removed to the police-station, and thence to Mr. Latham’s, the Belgian Consul, that the affair might be investigated. The Belgian Ambassador in London has been communicated with, and the authorities in Dover await his reply in reference to the necessary steps to be taken. The name of the party has not transpired. The reported cause for the rash act is, the recent death of her husband and child in Paris, where they had been residing for the last 16 years. Excessive grief is supposed to have caused temporary insanity. We understand Baker during his generous efforts lost one of his oars.


So to 1859, when the business, yard and stabling was on offer. Its 61 year lease had commenced in 1834. Either then, or privately afterwards, Leney would have gained control from the Walker's Phoenix Brewery.


Maidstone Journal and Kentish Advertiser, Saturday 16 July 1859.

To let by tender.

The following public houses situate in and near Dover, Eastry, and Folkestone, viz:-

1. The "Bull Inn," Eastry.

2. The "Halfway House" and land, on the Dover and Canterbury Road.

3. The "Chequers," at Folkestone.

4. The "Chequers" and land, at West Hougham.

5. The "Red Lion," at Charlton.

6. The "Fox," in St James's Street.

7. The "Ordnance Arms," in Queen Street.

8. The "Cause is Altered," in Queen Street.

9. The "True Briton," on Commercial Quay.

10. The "Three Kings," in Union Street.

11. The "Fleur-de-Lis," in Council House Street.

12. The "Cinque Port Arms," in Clarence Place.

13. The "Red Lion" in St James's Street.

14. The "Dolphin," in Dolphin Lane.

The above houses are to be let as free houses, in consequence of the proprietors of the Dolphin Lane Brewery discontinuing that business.

The holdings of the present Tenants expire under notice to quit, as follows, viz:- No. 2, on the 6th January next, No. 3, on the 6th July, 1860, No. 10, at Lady Day next, No. 13, on the 23rd October next, No. 14, on the 6th April next, and reminder on the 11th October next.

Tenders must be sent into the offices of Mr. Edward Knocker, Castle Hill, Dover, on or before the 20th day of July next, marked on the cover "Tender."

Particular and Terms of hiring, with the forms of Tender, to be obtained on application to Mr. knocker, or Mr. Thomas Robinson, Estate Agent, Bench Street, Dover.

Tenders may be given for the whole together or separately. The Tenders will be accepted subject to the houses being sold on or before the 20th day of September next, and the proprietors do not bind themselves to accept the lowest or any tender.

N.B. The proprietors are open to treat for letting the Brewery, Malthouse, and Premises, in Dolphin Lane.

Edward Knocker. Castle Hill, Dover, June, 1859.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday 18 July, 1863.


Thomas Middleton, the landlord of the "Cinque Port Arms," pleaded guilty to having his house open at half-past seven o'clock on Sunday morning, when some travellers were there drinking. Defendant said the hovellers came to his house to share their money, after having been at there the whole night, and the Magistrates thought the justice of the case would be met by a fine of 2s. 6d. and costs, 11s. which he paid.


Dover Express, Saturday 12 March 1864.

Infringement of Licence.

Thomas Middleton, landlord of the "Cinque Port Arms," summoned for having his house open for the sale of beer at the prohibited hours, urged that the person to whom beer was applied as a mariner needing refreshment, and his defence being made out to the satisfaction of the Bench, he was just discharged with a caution on paying the costs.


From the Whitstable Times and Herne Bay Herald, Saturday 19 January, 1867. Price 1d.


Present—A. Crofton, Esq. (in the chair), Sir W. M. Coghlan, K.C.B., and the Rev G. W. Sicklemore.


Sarah Nairne, a married woman, was charged with stealing a 5 note, 2s., and a penny piece, the property of June Marriott, on the 10th inst.

The prosecutor said:- I am a pensioner. Yesterday evening I went to the “Cinque Ports’ Arms,” having, during the day, received my pension, amounting to 7. When I went into the house I had a 5 note and some silver, together with a tin case containing my discharge. I paid for two gallons of ale, and when I left the house I was drunk. This morning, as I was passing the pier gates, a little boy threw my tin case down at my feet. I ran after the boy, but I could not catch him. On opening the case, I found my discharge and the 5 note.

John Stead said he was in the room with the prosecutor last evening, and saw the prisoner take a 2s. piece and a penny out of prosecutor's pocket.

William Bushell said he saw the prisoner have the tin case in her hand, but he did not know where she got it from.

P.C. Buckley said he went to the prisoner's house last night, and charged her with stealing the 2s. 1d. The prisoner said that she had the money given to her to pay for some beer; but the magistrates, however, committed her to one month’s hard labour for stealing the 2ft. 1d.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday 19 April, 1867.

Charles Jans, a Frenchman, was charged with drunkenness and disorderly conduct and wilfully breaking a window at the "Cinque Port Arms Inn," Clarence Place. Mr. Middleton, the landlord of the "Cinque Port Arms," said he had no desire to press the charge if the prisoner paid the amount of the damage, and the man having undertaken to do this, the Bench admonished the defendant, and ordered him to be discharged.


From the Dover Express and East Kent Intelligencer, 20 November, 1868. Price 1d.


James Horn, a boatman, was charged with being drunk and disorderly and annoying the complainant, Thomas Middleton, in his business. It appeared that the defendant had gone to the house of the complainant, the "Cinque Ports Arms," and requested to be served with beer when he had already had more than enough. The complainant declined to comply, when he became very violent and wanted to fight. The complainant, however, called in the police and had him removed.

It appeared that the defendant was very well behaved when sober, and was the means of supporting an aged mother. The Magistrates, under these circumstances, took a lenient view of the offence, and discharged him with a caution.


From the Dover Express and East Kent Intelligencer, 10 June, 1870. Price 1d.


Thomas Middleton, landlord of the "Cinque Port Arms," charged with infringing his license by having customers in his house on Sunday last, was fined 10s. and costs, 10s. 6d., and cautioned that if he was not more careful as to the way in which the house was conducted the chances were that he would lose his license.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 29 July, 1870.


George Thomson, a boy, having the appearance of belonging to a fishing smack, was charged with stealing from the till of Mr. Thomas Middleton, landlord of the “Cinque Ports Arms” public-house, a leather purse and 3s. in silver, his property.

William Alexander Hilman: I went to the “Cinque Ports Arms” yesterday afternoon, and o entering the bar I saw the prisoner leaning over the counter with his hands in the till. I exclaimed, “You are a thief!” and confined him, and at the same time knocked for the landlord. As soon as I caught hold of him the prisoner drew back, and I saw he had something in his hand which he slipped into his pocket. The landlord then came in.

Thomas Middleton, the landlord of the “Cinque Ports Arms” public-house, Clarence Place, said: Yesterday afternoon, about half-past four o'clock, I had drawn the last witness a glass of ale, and he stepped out of the bar into the inner room. I was absent for about three minutes, when I heard a knocking and on going into the bar I found the till wide open and a purse which had been in the till lying upon the counter. The last witness had the prisoner by the collar. When I left the bar there were two shillings and two sixpences in silver, and on returning the two sixpences alone were remaining, the two shillings being on the counter near the purse. I went for a policeman and gave the prisoner in charge.

Police-constable George Swain said he took the prisoner into custody at the “Cinque Ports Arms.” The prisoner admitted haven stolen the money, and remarked that his “chum,” who was outside might to be taken as well as himself.

The prisoner desired to have the case dealt with by the Magistrates, and pleaded guilty to the charge.

Mr. Middleton said he had never seen the prisoner before, but stated that he had had his till robbed on two previous occasions.

It appeared that the prisoner was not known in Dover, but entered the town with a notorious thief, another boy named Ashton, who was in custody.

The Magistrates decided to have the other prisoner brought up before dealing with the present case.

George Ashton, the “chum” of the last prisoner was then charged with loitering near the “Cinque Ports Arms” with intention to commit a felony.

Swain said he found the prisoner loitering on the Crosswall on the previous day, and believed he was there to commit a felony. Witness had the last prisoner in custody, and Ashton followed them up, saying that the prisoner was his chum. He knew the prisoner to be a reputed thief. He was convicted at Dover on the 3rd of May last.

The prisoner said he was looking for a ship, and had no intention to commit a felony.

The Magistrates sent Thompson to prison, with hard labour, for fourteen days, and Ashton for a month.


From the Dover Express and East Kent Intelligencer, 4 August, 1871. Price 1d.


Henry Horn, charged with being drunk and obstructing Mr. Middleton, of the “Cinque Ports Arms,” in his business, yesterday, was fined 10s. and costs; in default seven days' imprisonment.


From the Dover Express and East Kent Intelligencer, 6 September, 1872. Price 1d.



Mr. Wollaston Knocker appeared in support of an application made by Mr. Middleton, landlord of the “Cinque Port Arms,” Clarence Place, for the extension of the hours during which his house might remain open, under the 26th section of the Act, which gave the Magistrates power to grant special licenses for the convenience of markets, theatres, or those “following any lawing trade or calling.” For ordinary purposes of refreshment the “Cinque Ports Arms” might be regarded as the nearest house to the Admiralty Pier, and he need not remind the Magistrates that a number of persons were in their “lawfull calling” during the night in connection with the arrival and departure of the trains and packets. Boats arrived and departed at all hours, and upon the South-Eastern Railway trains left at 1.40 and 4.45. In attendance upon these packets and trains were a number of licensed porters and others, and it would really be a matter of great inconvenience to a numerous class if they were prevented from obtaining refreshment during the night. He therefore applied, on behalf of Mr. Middleton, that his house might remain open at all times except between the hours of 1 and 2 a.m. Mr. Knocker concluded by handing in a memorial signed by the ticket porters and others employed during the night who were in the habit of obtaining shelter and refreshment at the house of the applicant.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday 22 May, 1889.


At the Police Court on Monday, William Fitzgerald was charged with breaking a pane of glass, value 1, at the “Cinque Ports Arms,” Clarence Place. Stephen Harvey, landlord of the “Cinque Ports Arms,” said the prisoner came into his house the worse for drink. He asked for beer, but was refused. He then used abusive language, and refusing to go was put out. The defendant afterwards put his fist through the glass door and broke it. The prisoner, who had been previously convicted, was fined 10s., damage 1, and costs 7s., or in default of payment one month's imprisonment.



Four a.m. opening was allowed here from 1874 and that became three thirty two years later. Plans for structural alterations were approved in 1921.


Together with its neighbour the "Rose and Crown" this stood in the midst of 8 vast freight clearing area in the seventies and eighties. 1986 saw the closure of the Latter and it remained empty and derelict until mid 1988 when it was repaired and refurbished and became part of the "Cinque Ports Arms". The original order for the stopping up of part of Clarence Place, Elizabeth Street and Council House Street was made in October 1968. The demolition of Beach Street and the flats in Seven Star Street, which was first formed in 1607, was carried out in 1975.


From the Dover Express, Friday 23 February 1906.

A robbery at the pier. Till Theft at the Cinque Ports Arms.

At the Dover Police Court on Monday, before Messrs. J. L. Bradley and H. F. Edwin, Edward Howell was charged with stealing from the till of the bar at the "Cinque Ports Arms," 15/-. in money.

William Simmons, manager at the "Cinque Ports Arms," Clarence Place, said:- The house is kept by Mrs. Kingsmill. On Saturday evening at five minutes to ten I was in the little room behind the bar. There was no one in the bar. The prisoner called in and had half a pint of beer. I knew him. He said, "I am going to spend my last penny, the only penny I earned to day." After I had served him I went back into the little room, leaving the prisoner by himself in the bar. I was in there about two minutes, the door being half closed, when I heard the till open. I saw the defendant withdrawing his hand from the till, which was open. The till is under the counter. He made a rush for the door as I came out. I followed him, and he ran towards the "Lord Warden." As I ran past, I looked in the till, and saw that two five shilling pieces were gone. He escaped, and I went in search of a constable. Miss Kingsmill was looking after the house. I met a constable at the Dover Harbour Station, and told him what had happened, and he came back to the town station with me. When I went back to the house I found that altogether 15/-. or 17/-. had gone. The money taken consisted of 5/-. pieces, and the others were 2/-. pieces,. One of the 5/-. pieces was a Kings dead. I afterwards went to the Police Station and saw the prisoner brought in there at midnight. At the Police Station he said he knew nothing about it. It was not the first time I had had my suspicions about him. He said to me at the Police Station, "Do not be cross with me."

Walter Thomas Jeffery, landlord of the "Deal Cutter," Fleet Street, said:- My house is not far from the "Cinque Ports Arms." The prisoner came into my house between 9 and 10. I cannot say, for certain. The prisoner produced the 5/-. piece to my wife, and had 2d. of ale, and I gave the change 2/6, 2/-, and 6d., my wife changed the latter. He drank his beer, and went away. He drank it very quickly and went away. The next day Detective Constable Southey came, and I told him what had happened. I went to the Police Station. I identified the prisoner, and believed him to be the man. My wife does not, however, identify him.

Cross-examined:- You had a cap with a badge on it. I'm not absolutely positive you are the man, but I believe you are.

George William Packham, landlord of the "Two Brewers," Limekiln Street, said:- About a quarter past ten on Saturday night the prisoner came to my place. I know him. He called for a drink, tended me a 5/- piece. It was one of the two produced, an old one or a King's Head one. I gave him the change, 4/10. He treated two or three, and then went away. About 12 o'clock I heard banging at the door, and found Detective Constable Husk there. I told him that Howell had been there and produced 5/- for a drink.

Police Constable E. Kingsmill said:- On Saturday night about 10:45 I saw the prisoner coming up Snargate Street by the Soldiers' Home. I asked him to accompany me to the Police Station. He said, "All right." We walked a little way, and he said, "What for?" I said, "I will tell you when we get to the Station." At the Station he was told by Sergeant Palmer, he was suspected of robbing the till. He said he knew nothing about it. He produced 9/2, including a 2/- piece and 2/6.

The prisoner agreed to the case being dealt with by the Magistrates. At first he said if he can get bail he will go for trial, but immediately afterwards changed his mind.

The prisoner pleaded not guilty, and said he knew nothing whatever of the two 5/- pieces. He stood in front of them an innocent man. He had a glass of beer. He drank it, and bid the manager goodnight. He went to the South Eastern and the Harbour Stations, and met a soldier on coming up the street, who asked him where the "Two Brewers" were. He took the soldier there, and met Mr. Bloomfield and some friends, and had a drink with them. To the best of his belief he changed a 5/- piece in there. As for the "Deal Cutter," he never went there. He could account for the one 5/- piece. He received it from a commercial traveller on the previous Thursday or Friday week. This remark about the penny was that it was the last bit of family plate. That was a saying they had, and he did not mean anything by.

The Chairman said that there was no doubt in the minds of the Magistrates that he was guilty. It being his first conviction, he would be sentenced to 3 weeks hard labour, and the money found on him returned to Mrs. Kingsmill.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 16 December, 1910


Mr. Hyde, licensee of the "Cinque Port Arms," Clarence Place, applied for permission to be open from 12.30 a.m. to 3 a.m. on the nights of 23rd and 24th December, for the purpose of supplying refreshments to the Post Office staff engaged in sorting at the Town Station, the number of Christmas letters, etc. making a heavy increase in the work.

It was stated similar permission was given last year, and the application was again granted.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 6 October, 1922. Price 1d.


An extension was granted to the "Cinque Ports" R.E. Club for a whist drive on Friday.


Cinque Ports Roger Greaves

From the Dover Express 20 December 2007 by Yamurai Zendera

'Del Boy' not happy unless behind a bar.

A JOVIAL pub landlord described as a real-life "Del Boy" has died.

Roger Paul Greaves, 66, who for the past 15 years ran the Cinque Port Arms in Clarence Place, passed away in hospital on Monday, December 10.

Mr Greaves' daughter-in-law Tracey, who is married to his only child Steve, 39, paid tribute to a "real character".

Medical secretary Mrs Greaves, also 39, said: "His claim to fame was selling a poppy to a German - that was the sort of person he was.

"Then there was the time they'd knocked down one of the walls in the pub to renovate it, and he sold the rubble to American tourists off the cruise liners by telling them it was chalk from the White Cliffs of Dover.

"He was a real character, a wheeler dealer like Del Boy you could say."

The mother-of-two added: "He was a real family man who will be sorely missed.

"The night before he died he told his business partners if there was ever a time he could not do his job, he didn't want to live. He was not happy unless he was behind the bar."

Avid Arsenal fan Mr Greaves was born in Suffolk on April 20 1941 and had two sisters.

The family moved to East Anglia from Dover during the Second World War and returned when he was five.

He attended Barton Road School before starting at the Dover Engineering Works. He then had a short stint in the building trade and later worked on cross-Channel ferries before taking over the Cinque Port Arms with two business partners in 1992.

Mr Greaves' funeral took take place at Barham Crematorium on Friday 21 Dec 2007 at 2.40 pm.


From the Dover Mercury, 17 September, 2009.

Docks historic pub saved from fire.

By Beth Easton.

Cinque Ports fire

DOZENS of fire-fighters from across Kent battled to stop a fierce fire spreading at a historic pub in Dover's western Docks.

Six fire engines were called to tackle the flames at the Cinque Port Arms, which is almost 400 years old, on Friday evening.

Landlord Michael Milburn has praised crews for saving the pub after the blaze broke out in a separate porch at 6.41pm.

"It has totally destroyed the back part or the building but we're on top of it," be said.

"Luckily the wind was blowing away from us so that saved us and stopped the pub filling with smoke.

"It's business as usual but it's going to need a lot of alterations.

"Thanks go to the fire service for getting it under control."

The pub was busy at the time the fire broke out, and customers and staff were evacuated from the three-storey building along with those from the nearby Customs office.

The landlord, who lives above the bar, along with a number of staff, could not satisfy fire officers there were adequate means of escape for those living there.

He has been served with a prohibition order to ensure he improves safety measures.

The landlord said: "It was lucky it was early evening when it happened."

Kent Fire and Rescue spokes-woman Faye Kavvadias said the fire was thought to be an accident, with sparks from smoking materials causing the flames.

"Ninety per cent of the building adjacent to the pub was destroyed and 10 per cent of the main building was affected.

"Fire crews fought really hard to prevent the fire spreading to the main building."

By 7.45pm, the operation was scaled down.

Police were at the scene for traffic control.

Crews left two hours later but attended again at 2.45am to check it had not reignited.


From the Dover Express, 17 September, 2009.

Cigarette end blaze damages pub


Above photo by Alistair Brenchley.


A CARELESSLY discarded cigarette is believed to have caused the fire which destroyed a Dover pub on Friday (September 11).

Cinque Port Arms fire 2009

Kent Fire and Rescue Service was alerted to the blaze at the Cinque Port Arms in Clarence Place at 6.41pm.

At the height of the fire, five engines and a height vehicle were called to the scene to stop the flames spreading.

The blaze is believed to have started in one of the pub's outbuildings and is not being treated as suspicious.

Customers were evacuated from the premises.

Ten per cent of the pub, which included the back porch, toilet roof and some window frames, were destroyed by the fire.

A Kent Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said: "The fire-fighters worked really hard to bring the fire under control and ensure it did not cause even more damage than it did."


From the Dover Express, 17 September, 2009.


After big refurbishment The Cinque Port Arms reopens

Report by Yamurai Zendera

Kat Beaty and Andy Snelgrove

THE new leaseholders of The "Cinque Port Arms" in Dover plan to make its bad reputation a thing of the past.

Couple Andy Snelgrove and Kat Beaty have spent the last six weeks renovating the pub situated at the Western Docks in order to reinvent it as a family friendly venue offering food and drink and a place to sleep.

The 29-year-old Kat said: "About 20 years ago when it first started it was very successful, very busy.

Just in the last six years it went downhill. It was more known as a drugs house after hours. But we have clamped down on that and we have no tolerance for drugs.

"It's going to be changed back to having a good reputation for good food and drink and clean bed-and-breakfast accommodation and rooms to let. A place where families with young children are welcome."

Kat and Andy 61, had a massive refurbishment job on their hands when they began but Kat said it was their dream to run their own pub since getting together two years ago.

She said: "We wanted to work together and spend more time with each other.

"The opportunity came up and we took it.

"I used to work with my brother in a restaurant near Brighton and Andy was a truck driver but he's had previous experience of owning pubs on and off for the last 20 years."

The couple, who met in Dover through a mutual friend, believe they can succeed where many other pubs have failed since the smoking ban came into force.

Kat said: "I think we can make a good go of it and get it up again. We want to push the food sales. There are a steady stream of customers like builders, truckers, the customs officers and cruise terminal users."

The couple expect to complete refurbishment work next month, although the pub is already open for business.


From the Dover Mercury, 21 October 2010.


DOVER has two new shops and a re-opened public house.

ModernGent has opened in Snargate Street and offers a range of goods including coat hooks that look like darts and a full-size Sweeney Todd mirror in the shape of a razor blade.

Country Brides of Faversham is based in Castle Street and is offering hundreds of bridal, bridesmaids and prom dresses.

The "Cinque Port Arms" pub, which is close to the cruise terinal at the Western Docks, is under new management and has undergone a full refurbishment. It also offers bed and breakfast accommodation.

As first reported in the Mercury more than a month ago, Brighthouse, a company that offers household goods on a rent-to-own basis, will open in Biggin Street next week, creating seven new jobs. There will be an opening party at the store on Friday and Saturday, October 29 and 30.


From the Dover Express, Thursday 13 January 2011.

Cinque Port Arms advert 2011

From the Dover Express, Thursday, 10 November, 2011. 60p


A pub has announced it is to donate part of its Sunday lunch profits to the Royal British Legion.

The "Cinque Port Arms" in the western Docks is putting on a Remembrance Sunday dinner from midday to 4pm on November 13.

The three-course meal includes a glass of wine and is priced at 15.95.

The pub is giving 20 per cent of its profits as a donation.


From the Dover Express, Thursday, 1 December, 2011. 60p


Author finds histories of haunted boozers

Report by Mike Sims

FROM tales of a man killed in a pub and thrown down a well to details of the ghostly Lydd pub previously owned by a man called Lepper, a new book about haunted watering holes features ten across Shepway and Dover.

Donald Stuart, the Journalist turned author who has completed Haunted English Pubs 2011, visited more than 1,000 towns and villages including Sandgate, Elham, Lydd, Hythe, Dover, Deal and Aldington and discovered haunted yarns galore.

Mc Stuart, who is a member of the Ghost Club, said: "With many of England's ancient pubs disappearing, this is a timely account of some of their paranormal associations."


Tales include the Fish Lady at the "Ship Inn" In Sandgate, a woman who appears reeking of fish, and a solider in Victorian uniform In the same pub.

The "Bell Inn" in Hythe has a 'grey lady' who died during childbirth haunting its cellars. The "George Hotel" in Lydd has the ghost of young officer John McKenzie who was killed in a battle between smugglers and revenue men and the "King's Head" in Deal is haunted by a man wearing cricket clothes, according to the book.

Mr Stuart, 76, said: "I have not set out to prove or disprove the existence of such claims. I have merely recorded what has been reported in myth and legend over the years.

Other accounts in the book include locked and bolted doors bursting open in the "King's Head" in Hythe, several phantom children in Victorian dress gracing the "Walnut Tree" in Aldington and a haunting comedian in the "Cinque Port Arms" in Dover - the only pub in England to have the ghost of a comic.


From the Dover Mercury, 2 February, 2012. 80p


TURN up on Friday for a quiz and supper night at the "Cinque Port Arms" in Clarence Place, Dover, at 7.30pm in aid of Parkinson's UK. Tickets are 4.50 for the meal or 2 for the quiz only. The evening has been organised by David Richards 72, from Dover, chairman of the charity's south Kent branch who is aiming to raise 5,000 for the cause through a trek in Peru.


From the Dover Express, 24 July, 2014.

Barman binge.

DOVER: A former bar worker at the "Cinque Port Arms" has pleaded guilty to damaging a TV table and glass frame after throwing chairs around the pub following a late night binge.

Along with another man, Matthew Barnes, 26, inflicted damage totalling 850 in May.

Barnes was sacked following the incident and magistrates have now ordered him to pay 425 in compensation, 85 costs and a 60 victim surcharge.


From accessed 17 June 2015.


Before 1823, the locals knew it as the "Coach and Horses" and, judging from forensic tests of beams, the building is over 300 years old. During one renovation, a pair of pointed slippers, as worn by court jesters, someone found behind the brickwork. A 16th century inglenook fireplace has also been uncovered in good condition. Late at night, there are sounds of manic laughter and slapping from around that fireplace. This is the only English pub haunted by humorists; the others are of a much more serious nature.



JELL Henry 1791 (Clarence Place)

ATKINS 1805 (Clarence Place) This name also appears at the "Black Pig" the same year.


1823 called Coach and Horses

EASTES R 1828-30 Batchellor 1828

KEMP James C 1832-41 (age 50 in 1841Census) Pigot's Directory 1832-34Pigot's Directory 1839

ROBINSON Jacob 1840+ Pigot's Directory 1840

DENNIS Ann 1847 Bagshaw's Directory 1847

Last pub licensee had BRACKENBURY William Palmer 1848 Next pub licensee had

OAKENFUL Henry 1851+ (age 42 in 1851Census)

FLETCHER Richard Thomas 1858-61+ (age 34 in 1861Census) Melville's 1858

FLETCHER Sarah Elizabeth 1862 end

MIDDLETON Thomas 1862-78 (age 49 in 1871Census) Dover ExpressPost Office Directory 1874

KNIGHT John Frederick Mar/1877+ Dover Express

HARVEY Stephen 1881-91+ (age 49 in 1891Census) Post Office Directory 1882Post Office Directory 1891

KINGSMILL Richard 1895-1903+ Pikes 1895Kelly's Directory 1899Post Office Directory 1903Post Office Directory 1903Kelly's 1903 (age 40 in 1901Census)

HYDE J 1907-Aug/11 Pikes 1909Dover Express

SHINGLETON William Albert Aug/1911-20 Next pub licensee had Dover ExpressPost Office Directory 1913

Last pub licensee had HARRIS Arthur Herbert 1920-24+ Post Office Directory 1922Pikes 1923Pikes 1924

HOBBS Herbert Edward 1926-Aug/27 Next pub licensee had Dover Express

Last pub licensee had BRITTON/BUTTON George Aug/1927-30 Dover Express

BRITTON Mrs Harriet 1930-32 end Post Office Directory 1930Pikes 1932-33

GLADDEN Henry Edward 1932-Jan/33 Dover Express

WOOD George Parks Jan/1933-Dec/33 (Clerk of Messrs. Fremlin bros, Ltd) Dover Express

HOGG James Percy Dec/1933+ Dover Express (Former greengrocer)

HICKS William Thomas 1937-June/40 (age 46 in 1939) Pikes 1938-39Dover Express

HOVER James William June/1940 Dover Express

Last pub licensee had GROUNDS William Arthur June/1940 Dover Express

CLAYTON Arthur Blake 1948-51 end Kelly's Directory 1950

BRILL Edward George 1951-60 dec'd Kelly's Directory 1953Kelly's Directory 1956

BRILL Mrs Elizabeth E 1960-74 end

FULLER Harold 1974-80 Next pub licensee had Library archives 1974 Fremlins

McHUGH Dominique 1980-90 end

GREAVES Roger Paul 1992-2007 (dec 10 Dec 2007)

MILBURN Michael 2008-09 (Closed for short period)

SNELGROVE Andy & BEATY Kat July-2010+


James William Hover in 1940 of 31, Leyburne Road, Dover, was brewer's manager.


Batchellor 1828From Batchellor's New Dover Guide 1828

Pigot's Directory 1832-34From the Pigot's Directory 1832-33-34

Pigot's Directory 1839From the Pigot's Directory 1839

Pigot's Directory 1840From the Pigot's Directory 1840

Bagshaw's Directory 1847From Bagshaw Directory 1847

Melville's 1858From Melville's Directory 1858

Post Office Directory 1874From the Post Office Directory 1874

Post Office Directory 1882From the Post Office Directory 1882

Post Office Directory 1891From the Post Office Directory 1891

Pikes 1895From Pikes Dover Blue Book 1895

Kelly's Directory 1899From the Kelly's Directory 1899

Post Office Directory 1903From the Post Office Directory 1901

Post Office Directory 1903From the Post Office Directory 1903

Kelly's 1903From the Kelly's Directory 1903

Pikes 1909From Pikes Dover Blue Book 1909

Post Office Directory 1913From the Post Office Directory 1913

Post Office Directory 1922From the Post Office Directory 1922

Pikes 1923From Pikes Dover Blue Book 1923

Pikes 1924From Pikes Dover Blue Book 1924

Pikes 1932-33From Pikes Dover Blue Book 1932-33

Pikes 1938-39From Pikes Dover Blue Book 1938-39

Kelly's Directory 1950From the Kelly's Directory 1950

Kelly's Directory 1953From the Kelly's Directory 1953

Kelly's Directory 1956From the Kelly's Directory 1956

Library archives 1974Library archives 1974

Dover ExpressFrom the Dover Express



If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-