Sort file:- Dover, July, 2021.

Page Updated:- Saturday, 31 July, 2021.

PUB LIST PUBLIC HOUSES Barry Smith and Paul Skelton

Earliest 1837-

Rose and Crown

Latest 1986

(Name to)

8 Clarence Place


Rose and Crown 1926

Above photo supplied by Lisa Hudson, circa 1926.

Rose and Crown 1974

Above photo supplied by John Gilham, 1974.

Rose and Crown Pier District circa 1980
Rose and Crown Pier District

Above photos circa 1980 by Barry Smith.


The property shows on maps of 1624 but it is not known when it first entered the trade. It was selling liquor by 1841 and it opened at four a.m. in 1872 and three thirty a.m. from 1874. It was one of the few pubs allowed to continue with that concession after 1900. (But possibly five a.m. then).


From the Dover Telegraph and Cinque Ports General Advertiser, Saturday 15 July, 1837. Price 7d.



An inquest was held yesterday at the "Rose and Crown," South Pier, before G. T. Thompson, Esq., Coroner for Dover ad the liberties of the Port, on the body of a man, name unknown, who committed suicide by hanging himself in his bed-room, at the above house. He arrived there on Tuesday, and by circumstances which transpired in evidence, it seems he came from London, by way of Herne Bay. He had stated himself to be a shoemaker out of work and to one of the witnesses, who had mentioned some of the eastern parts of London to him, he said he came from the other end of the town. He appeared about four and thirty years of age, five feet seven inches in height; was slightly made; his hair, whiskers, and complexion dark, and nose remarkably prominent. His dress was a brown dress coat, with velvet collar; black trousers and a buff waistcoat, sprigged with purple, and bound with black. The maker's name in his hat, "Marks, 30, High Street, Bloomsbury." He had also a pair of Wellington boots that had been vamped, the original parts marked, "La Hogue, Boulogne." No other marks appeared on his clothing. He had no luggage or papers. In his pockets were found seventeen shillings and sixpence, a key, and some halfpence.

 The evidence of the landlord and others, proved that the deceased had been unwell and dispirited - that on retiring on Thursday night, he said he should have no rest until morning when he should have a long and comfortable sleep. The witness receiving no answer when he knocked at the door of deceased's room yesterday morning, called in assistance and forced the lock, when they found the unfortunate man on his knees by the side of his bed, having his arms crossed, and as if in the position of prayer. His head was suspended from the tester by a silk handkerchief, which they instantly cut, and medical assistance was obtained; but he was quite dead. The other evidence was merely corroborative of the above, and to prove the indisposition of the deceased, who on one occasion said to the landlady on retiring, 'what a blessing it would be if I should never rise any more!'

Verdict, temporary insanity.


From the Kentish Gazette, 12 September 1837.


Friday se’nnight. an inquest was held before C. T. Thompson, Esq. coroner for Dover, and a respectable jury, at the "Rose and Crown" public-house, on the body of a man, name unknown, who committed suicide by hanging himself by a silk handkerchief, to the tester of the bed he occupied at the same house, late on Thursday night or early on Friday morning. From the evidence, it appeared that the deceased had come from London by a Herne Bay steamer, and walked to Dover on Tuesday evening. He appeared to be about 25, wore a brown surtout coat, light waistcoat, and had on boots with the maker’s name, resident at Boulogne, stamped inside. The name "Farrier" was also written inside the boots, which was understood to be the name of the deceased.

Verdict:— "Committed suicide whilst labouring under temporary insanity."


From the Dover Telegraph and Cinque Ports General Advertiser, Saturday 17 April, 1841. Price 5d.


William Lawrence, labourer, aged 20, charged with stealing at Dover, 40 pounds of beef, the property of Joseph Sacre, who stated that on the evening of the 10th of January last, he missed a four quarter of beef, which had been hanging in front of his shop. The beef was a few days afterwards produced by a policeman, which was cut up into five pieces, but he identified it, by some marks, as his property.

Hogben, landlord of the "Rose and Crown," stated that prisoner lodged at his house. On the evening of the 14th January he went into prisoner's bed-room, and under the bed found a quantity of beef, which was owned by Mr. Sacre. There was another bed in the room, in which no person had slept for some weeks past.

Edward George Corrall, superintendent of police, was with the last witness when the beef was found. He went the same evening, accompanied by Sergeant Laker, to the "Horse and Jocky," where he apprehended the prisoner. There were several woman in the room, behind whom he was concealed in the corner. The jury after some consultation returned a verdict of Not Guilty. The Court being satisfied that the beef was the property of Mr. Sacre, it was given up to him.


From the Dover Telegraph and Cinque Ports General Advertiser, Saturday, 10 July, 1847. Price 5d.


On Saturday evening last an inquest was held at the “Rose and Crown Inn,” before G. T. Thompson, Esq., Coroner for the Borough, on the body of William Hogben, aged 33, fly-proprietor. The Jury having been sworn, and a foreman appointed, they then proceeded to view the body, and on their return the following evidence was given:-

William Henry Dray: I am a mariner belonging to the Ranger revenue cruiser. On Sunday, the 13th of June, I, with two of my comrades, and five females of our acquaintance, hired the deceased William Hogben and his fly for a pleasure excursion. We left Dover at a quarter-past three o'clock in the afternoon, and went first to River. We stopped at the “Dublin Man-of War” for about two minutes, and then stared for Mongeham. One of the horses drawing the fly refused to move, we put up at the “Three Cups,” while Hogben returned to Dover for the purpose of getting another horse, taking the refractory one with him. When he returned, we started for Mongeham, where we arrived about half-past six. The party had tea there, and a pot of beer, staying about two hours, and then started for Deal. At Deal we remained some short time, and had some gin and water. We left Deal at nine, the deceased driving; two of the party, of whom I was one, accompanied the box seat with deceased, the females and one of my comrades being inside. On our way to Dover we stopped at Ringwould, and had some more gin and water. We did not stop again; on coming to the Castle Hill the deceased did not skid the wheel; but when about half way down, having then nearly been capsized, he put the skid on. Hogben had jumped off previous to that, but said he was not hurt. After the skid was on, the deceased took the reins. When near the bottom of the hill, the carriage appeared to overpower the horses, and they went fast. At the entrance to castle Street, the carriage overturned; I was thrown off, and on recovering myself (in a minute or two after) I ran to the fly to assist the females. I did not see the deceased then, and having got the females out, I heard someone say there was a man under the fly; I found that it was the deceased, and I helped to get him out. It seemed to me that the box of the fly was rested upon him. He was insensible when we got him out, and his face was covered with blood; but his consciousness returned in five or ten minutes, and then he was assisted to Mr. Jones's surgery. Mr. Jones was at home, and attended upon him. I don't know how the fly was upset. The deceased was quite sober, and I am not aware of his having taken any drink during the day, except a portion of that which we had brought for ourselves. Neither I nor my comrades touched the reins at the time of the accident.

Edward Jones, surgeon, residing in Castle Street: On Sunday fortnight, a little before eleven, I attended the deceased at my house. I had gone out into the street, hearing a great noise, and there saw a fly upset in the road, and the deceased lying upon his back, with part of the carriage or the haunch of one of the horses resting upon him; on getting him to my house, and washing away the blood which covered his face, I observed upon it several lacerations; there was one nearly three inches long, and very deep, under the right eye. He did not complain of being hurt anywhere else. Having dressed his wounds, I took him to his residence, and attended him professionally afterwards. In two or three days he complained of pain in the upper part of the right thigh and the lower part of the belly. On an examination, I found a most extensive bruise; and in a few days more mortification threatened to set in, which I treated with success by incision, producing a separation of the parts. The wound put on a healthy character, and he promised well. On Sunday morning haemorrhage set in, and continued during the day, so as to alarm me. I subdued that, and up to Tuesday last he appeared to mend. On Wednesday last, on seeing him, I found incipient lock-jaw coming on, which continued to increase until Thursday night, the first instant, when he died. I believe his age to have been 33 years. The attack of lock-jaw was the consequence of injuries he had received when I first saw him.

The above forming the whole of the evidence, the Coroner then summed up, and after a short consultation the Jury returned the following verdict:- That the deceased died from injuries by the accidental overturning of a carriage, which he himself was driving.


From the Dover Telegraph and Cinque Ports General Advertiser, Saturday 11 March, 1848. Price 5d.


An inquest was held on Monday, at the "Rose and Crown," Clarence Place, before G. T. Thompson, Esq., Coroner, on the body of Samuel Perry, aged 33, a commissioned boatman, under the command of Lieut. Pearson, of the Coast Guard service, who died suddenly on Sunday morning.

Joseph Howlett, commissioned boatman in Coast Guard services deposed: On Sunday night last, I was on duty with deceased in the boat, in Dover Harbour. About 11 o'clock, we took off Mr. Morgan to the Lion Cutter, lying in the bay. On reaching the cutter, deceased held on a rope while Mr. Morgan got on board, and on turning round, I saw deceased had fallen across the gunwale of the boat. I went to him and unloosed his neckcloth, and he appeared quite lifeless. The galley belonging to the Lion was immediately lowered, in which deceased was placed and rowed o shore, and I went to call Mr. Coleman. Deceased had been on this station about three months, during which time he had never complained of illness, and on the night in question he appeared more cheerful than usual.

Macdonald Wallis, assistant to Mr. Coleman, surgeon, deposed: About two months since I met deceased on a Sunday afternoon at the back of the Railway terminus, and in course of conversation, he complained to me of certain symptoms, which induced me to think he was labouring under a disease of the heart. I cautioned him against using any violent exercise, saying, if he did so, he might some day die suddenly.

John Coleman, jun., surgeon, deposed: I was called on Saturday night, about 12 o'clock, to see deceased. I opened a vein, but found life quite extinct. From the suddenness of the death, and the peculiar froth around the mouth, as well as the evidence of the last witness, I judge that death arose from pulmonary apoplexy, arising from disease of the heart.

Verdict: "Died by the visitation of God."


From the Dover Telegraph and Cinque Ports General Advertiser, Saturday 1 June, 1850. Price 5d.


On Tuesday evening at half-past seven o'clock, an inquest was held at the "Rose and Crown," at the pier, before G. T. Thompson, Esq., Coroner for the Borough, on the body of George Norton, aged 37 years, one of the men employed with the "mud barges" in over harbour, who met with his death by falling overboard in the morning of that day. Mr. Joseph Long was appointed foreman for the jury, and the body, which was lying at the Boom-house, having been received, the following was taken:-

William Reffell, labourer in the employ of the Commissioners of Dover Harbour - I knew deceased, who was employed in the same barge with me. This morning, at about a quarter past 9 o'clock, we were in the barge together, opposite to the Boom-house, and were in the cat of warping her over to the other side. The warp had already been made fast, and the deceased, with it in his hands, was walking backwards to pass the rope over the timber head at the stern of the barge. I was standing at the bow, and on turning round to see how he was getting on I saw him in the act of falling overboard. I ran to his assistance, with a view of throwing him a rope; but the only one I could get was the one he had previously held in his hands, and that was drawn so tight by the stream of the tide that I could not get it to reach him. I looked out for something else, but before I could get a plank to throw to him he had sunk. The boat which had crossed with the rope then came up, and the man in it ran to the bow of the boat, but could not reach deceased. In about 20 minutes from the time of the accident another boat came to the spot, and the men in it succeeded in picking up the deceased, who was then taken to the Boom-house. I do not know what was the depth of water at the time - I should think not about 5 or 6 feet, as a signal had just been hoisted for a steamer to enter. Deceased did not attempt to swim.

John Martin, mariner - On hearing the cry this morning that a man was overboard, I ran for the Humane Society's drag, which with myself and two other sailors entered a boat near the Boom-house, and forthwith cast out the drag, but at the first haul found nothing. We then dragged at the spot where the man had sunk, and brought him up. Deceased was soon landed, and taken to the Boom-house. From the time that I heard the alarm till deceased was picked up I should think 25 minutes had elapsed. I judged there was about 5½ feet of water in the harbour at the time. There was a strong tide running.

William Johnson, working in the harbour - I assisted in carrying the deceased this morning to the Boom-house, and was present during the whole time the usual means of restoration were going on. Two medical men were in attendance - Mr. Coleman's assistant, and a physician staying at the "King's head Hotel." The attempts to re-animate deceased commenced at about 10 o'clock, and were continued till about a quarter past one, but without success.

This forming the whole of the evidence, the Coroner summed up, and the jury returned a verdict of "Accidentally Drowned," and suggested that a recommendation be forwarded to the harbour master for providing an additional rope to the barges, for services in any cases of accident that might again occur.


From the Dover Express and East Kent Intelligencer, 2 April, 1859.


Stephen Gilham, a powerful labourer, was being charged with being drunk and disorderly early the same morning, and with assaulting Sarah Ann Cheney, under the following circumstances.

Sarah Ann Cheney said - My husband is the landlord of the "Rose and Crown," in Clarence Place, and this morning between three and four, the defendant and a friend came to my house and asked for some beer, and then for some coffee. I served him and his friend with a quart of beer, for which they paid. He afterwards asked for some coffee, and I sent him a cup, charging him 1½d. for it, when he refused to pay but a penny. I then sent my servant to fetch the coffee back, when he struck me with his fist, at the same time using very bad language, and, therefore gave him in charge.

William Richardson, in the employ of Mr. Churelward, said he lodged at the house of the complainant. He heard the defendant abuse the complainant, and on his interfering, the defendant abused him too. After the defendant had left the house, he saw the complainant put her hand up to prevent him coming back again. He saw the defendant strike Mrs. Chorley twice; but the third time he interfered, or the complainant would have suffered much worse.

Defendant said the complainant assaulted him first by pushing him out of the chair in the coffee house when he was asleep, and by afterwards striking him.

The Magistrates said, that as the defendant had several times previously appeared before them, they should fine him 10s., and 7s. costs; or commit him to gaol for a fortnight, with hard labour.


From the Dover Express and East Kent Intelligencer, 25 January, 1867.


James Hickey and George Wilson, the men remanded from Saturday, on a charge of burglariously entering the shop of Mr. Moody, St. James's Lane, were again placed at the bar, the police being prepared with further evidence, and also with evidence to rebut the prisoners' statement, that they were drinking all the night of the robbery at the "Rose and Crown."

James Horn: I live at Prospect Place Cottages, and am a mariner. I was at the "Rose and Crown" last Friday morning, between five and half-past five o'clock. The soldier and other prisoner were there together; and the soldier offered me a pair of boots for sale. The pair of boots produced are the same. I left the "Rose and Crown," but shortly afterwards came in again, and the other prisoners then had the boots i his hand, offering them for sale to a navvy who was going snow digging and who was tipsy. Wilson asked 1s. 6d. for the boots, or 2s. 6d. for two pairs - this, and a pair of bluchers.

The witness, in cross-examination by the prisoner Hickey spoke positively as to his identity.

Emily Goodbun: I am daughter of the landlord of the "Rose and Crown." The two prisoners came into my father's house at half-past three o'clock on Friday morning. I had not seen them before during the night. They went into the front room, and I did not see them again.

The prisoner, who repeated that they were innocent of the robbery, were committed for trial at the next Maidstone Assizes.

From the Dover Express and East Kent Intelligencer, 25 January, 1867.


Ambrose Poynter, a fly-driver, was charged with assaulting and threatening Mr. Charles Goodbun, the landlord of the "Rose and Crown Inn," Clarence Place.

The complainant said he was in the habit of keeping his house open at night for the accommodation of the travelling public; and the defendant had repeatedly come in, very early in the morning, and, after refreshing himself with half a pint of beer, had gone to sleep in the taproom. The defendant, however, was at times very quarrelsome, and would then use disgusting language and indulge in violent threats. The same morning he came into the house, and after threatening what he would do, he kicked witness in a most unmanly way and dastardly manner.

He was still suffering great pain from the injury the prisoner inflicted, and he went in bodily fear of him.

The prisoner flatly denied that he had indulged in the threats referred to, or that he had committed the assault; but the Magistrates did not believe him, and fined him 40s. and the costs for the assault, or one month's imprisonment.

The prisoner said he must go to prison; and he was then informed that, when the term of his imprisonment had expired, he would be called upon to find sureties to keep the peace towards Mr. Goodbun for the space of six months.


From the Dover Express and East Kent Intelligencer, 6 September, 1872. Price 1d.



Mr. Worsfold Mowll made an application on behalf of Mrs. Goodban, the landlady of the “Rose and Crown,” a house adjoining the “Cinque Ports Arms,” for the extension of the hours during which his house might remain open, under the 26th section of the Act, which gave the Magistrates power to grant special licenses for the convenience of markets, theatres, or those “following any lawing trade or calling.”


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday 23 August, 1878


Benjamin Burville, Richard Betts, and William irons, hovellers, were charged with having concealed on a galley punt, named the Fox, 3½lbs. of foreign manufactured tobacco liable to fortitude.

Rober Alfred Wittingetall said: I am an acting examining officer of Customs. About a quarter to six this morning, I was by the steps of the Crosswall-quay with an out-door officer named Richard Hinkley, when the galley-punt Fox came into the Harbour, rowed by the three defendants, with a pilot on board. The pilot landed and the defendants went to the “Rose and Crown” public-house. I then directed Hinkley to search the boat, and the 3½lbs. of foreign tobacco produced was found in the stern of the boat. I then went to the public-house and fetched the defendants and asked them if the tobacco belonged to them, each admitted that it did. They said they got it in payment for posting a letter for the captain of the vessel where they had brought the pilot from. The single value and duty of the tobacco is 18s. 8d.

By the Bench: I have never had any reason to suspect these men before. The tobacco was covered up in the usual form. There was no concealment.

Defendants were fined each the single value and duty, 18s. 8d.; and the costs 5s., in default 14 days' imprisonment.

The money was paid.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 28 August, 1891. Price 1d.



The owner of this house was summoned on the 13th of March, 1891, charged with serving liquor to a drunken person, but the case was dismissed, nevertheless, the owner was called up and cautioned to be more careful in the future.

[Sotto Voce In law, "sotto voce" on a transcript indicates a conversation heard below the hearing of the court reporter. (from the Solicitor's Bench), not guilty, but don't do it again!]



By 1909 the front of the building was in danger of collapse and a re-frontage operation was performed. It proved to be a temporary solution because ten years later, other plans called for the practical rebuilding of the whole. From all accounts that was quite an achievement. Its neighbour, "The Cinque Ports Arms" was of a like age and was in danger of collapse whilst the work proceeded. The exercise apparently called for perfect timing and execution.


Rose and Crown billiard watercolour 1919

Above watercolour showing a billiard match 11th November 1919 signed Os'carius, between Harry Coe and Bill Banks. It was stated the match was drawn after Bill Banks ripped the baize.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 15 May, 1922. Price 1½d.


At the Dover Police Court on Monday, before Messrs. W. B. Brett (in the chair) and J. H. Back.

The case of the rate arrears of the “Rose and Crown” was mentioned.

Mr. Birch said that this case was adjourned a fortnight ago, on the application of Mr. Arrowsmith, for the purpose of an appeal being considered. The matter had come before the Assessment Committees and the assessment was confirmed. He asked for an order forthwith in this case, and, should the case go to the Quarter Sessions, that was not justification for non-payment, for a refund could only be obtained.

Mr. Arrowsmith said he took that opportunity of giving Mr. Birch a copy of his appeal to the Quarter Sessions. He had already enlarged the points previously, but under the Poor Rates Act of 1801 proceedings could only be taken for the recovery of the assessment at the rate defendant was assessed in the last effective rate, provided there was an appeal pending. In this case there was an appeal pending, and consequently, the only order which could be asked for was for payment on the rate on the basis of the last effective rate. They had paid the rate.

Mr. Birch. No, sir.

Mr. Arrowsmith: All right, it is going to be now (and the cheque was handed over). He said he thought the fairest way would be to adjourn the case until a fortnight after the Quarter Sessions, which he understood would be held on July 6th, by which time it would be settled one way or another. The amount outstanding was trivial now that the rate had been paid on the old basis.

The Magistrates' Clerk: have you anything to say, Mr. Birch?

Mr. Birch said the amount now outstanding was £22, approximately. In view of the fact that the rate had been paid on the old assessment, he thought it was the only course to adopt.

The Bench adjourned the case until July 17th.



Further plans for alterations were approved in 1928 but I have no details.


It wasn't until 1950 that the licence was transferred to "full" allowing the sale of beers and spirits.


Dover Express, Friday 22 September 1939.

Breaches of Blackout Rules.

Joseph Smith, "Rose and Crown," Clarence Place, pleaded guilty to showing a light at 10:55 p.m. on September 3rd.

Chief Inspector Saddleton said that P.C. Butler and Special Constable Smissen were on the Viaduct, and saw a light in the kitchen at the rear of the "Rose and Crown." They saw defendant, who said that he was having his supper, and told him it must be put out at once. Ten minutes later the light was still visible from the viaduct, and the officer again saw defendant, who said, "We are having trouble with the baby." They heard no baby crying.

Defendant was fined £1.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 21 March, 1952.

Punches Follow Pints

Two men who were said to have exchanged blows after first exchanging words outside the "Rose and Crown" were advised to keep away from each other in the future when they appeared before Dover Magistrates on Monday on assault charges.

Bernard William Dillon, of 15, Seven Star Street Flats, denied a change of assaulting Cecil Edward Dalton, of 4, Last Lane, who, in his turn, denied assaulting Dillon.

After hearing evidence of a scene outside the public house  where each man was said to have struck the other, the Chairman (Mr. D. Bradley) said the bench had decided to dismiss the summons in each case.



As a matter of interest, and still present as I retype in 1989, but now only a blind alley, is the passage alongside the pub which once led to Middle Row in the old pier district.


This was damaged by enemy action early in world war two but was repaired and made operational again by January 1941. That was a rare distinction indeed and certainly the only case in the town that I know of.


A past outlet of Rigden and Company, Faversham, which passed to the Whitbread group. It closed in 1986 and remained boarded up and derelict to 1988 when it was renovated and integrated with the "Cinque Ports Arms".


From an email received 25 September 2010

Thomas Cheney was Sarah Ann's first husband. In 1851 Census Thomas and Sarah Cheney lived in Sussex. Thomas's occupation was a coachman. In the 1861 Census Thomas Cheney was the Victualler in Clarence Place, Dover. Sarah Ann Cheney was there too.

In 1861 Thomas Cheney died. (Death record - Thomas Cheney, Quarter October November December, 1861, Dover, Volume 2a, page 439.

Sarah Ann Cheney married William Johnson in Dover in 1870. (Their marriage record - Sarah Ann Cheney, William Johnson, Quarter October, November, December, Year 1870, Registered Dover, Volume 2a, page 1431).


Julie Smith.


From the Dover Express and East Kent Intelligencer, 10 February, 1871. Price 1d.


Mrs. Chaney, the landlady of the "Rose and Crown," having recently re-married, applied for transfer of license to her husband, Mr. Johnson, and the application was granted.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 6 September, 1874. Price 1d.



The Magistrates refused to grant the renewal of the license of the “Rose and Crown” to William Johnson, as he was also the keeper of the “Swingate Inn,” Deal Road.




HOGBEN/HOGBIN William 1841-47 (age 50 in 1841Census) (Bagshaw's Directory 1847Hogbens)

HOGBEN Mrs Susan 1848-51+ (age 59 in 1851Census)

BURROWS Henry 1854

CHENEY Thomas 1859-61 dec'd (age 34 in 1861Census)

CHENEY Miss Sarah Ann 1861-Feb/71

JOHNSON William Feb/1871-Feb/78 Next pub licensee had Post Office Directory 1874Kelly's 1874 (Last pub licensee had wife ne CHENEY Sarah Ann)

GOODBUN Charles 1863-67+ ?

GOODBUN Elizabeth 1871+ (widow age 47 in 1871Census)


GOODBUN Mrs Elizabeth 1874-Oct/85 (age 56 in 1881Census) Post Office Directory 1874Post Office Directory 1882Dover Express

CONNOR Edward Oct/1885-1903 (age 54 in 1901Census) Pikes 1895Kelly's Directory 1899(Post Office Directory 1903Kelly's 1903 Out of date info?)(Conner was for some years deputy Master of Porters)

KEMP Sidney John 1901-1916 dec'd (age 30 in 1901Census) Post Office Directory 1903Pikes 1909Post Office Directory 1913

KEMP Mrs 1916-Jan/17 Dover Express

WRIGHT Thomas Jan/1917-22+ Dover ExpressPost Office Directory 1922 of Folkestone

PEARSON Charles Vaschell 1923-26 end Pikes 1924

MIELL George Frederick 1926-28 end

Last pub licensee had BALSOM John 1928-32+ (Post Office Directory 1930BATSOM)Pikes 1932-33

HARRIS James K W T 1937 end

MARTIN W 1937-38 end and 1941

SMITH Joseph 1938-50+ Post Office Directory 1938Pikes 1938-39Pikes 48-49Kelly's Directory 1950

COOPER William Frederick H 1952-53+ Next pub licensee had Kelly's Directory 1953

TERRY Albert W 1956-66

STEVENS L late 1960's

GILHAM Ronald G 1972-84 end Next pub licensee had Library archives 1974 Whitbread Fremlins


Wingham Ale Licences 1740From Wingham Division Ale Licences 1740 Ref: KAO - QRLV 3/1

Bagshaw's Directory 1847From Bagshaw Directory 1847

Post Office Directory 1874From the Post Office Directory 1874

Post Office Directory 1882From the Post Office Directory 1882

Pikes 1895From Pikes Dover Blue Book 1895

Kelly's Directory 1899From the Kelly's Directory 1899

Post Office Directory 1903From the Post Office Directory 1901

Post Office Directory 1903From the Post Office Directory 1903

Kelly's 1903From the Kelly's Directory 1903

Pikes 1909From Pikes Dover Blue Book 1909

Post Office Directory 1913From the Post Office Directory 1913

Post Office Directory 1922From the Post Office Directory 1922

Pikes 1924From Pikes Dover Blue Book 1924

Post Office Directory 1930From the Post Office Directory 1930

Pikes 1932-33From Pikes Dover Blue Book 1932-33

Post Office Directory 1938From the Post Office Directory 1938

Pikes 1938-39From Pikes Dover Blue Book 1938-39

Pikes 48-49From Pikes Dover Blue Book 1948-49

Kelly's Directory 1950From the Kelly's Directory 1950

Kelly's Directory 1953From the Kelly's Directory 1953

Library archives 1974Library archives 1974



If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-