Sort file:- Dover, November, 2023.

Page Updated:- Wednesday, 29 November, 2023.

PUB LIST PUBLIC HOUSES Barry Smith and Paul Skelton

Earliest 1838

Victoria Hotel

Latest Dec 1914

38 Castle Street Pigot's Directory 1840

10 Castle Street Bagshaw's Directory 1847

Russell Street Post Office Directory 1874


Victoria Hotel 1910

Above photo showing the 4th Buffs and the local Royal Engineers Territorials probably returning from an Easter parade from St Mary's Church on Sunday 27 March 1910. Just passing the "Victoria Hotel."

Victoria Hotel as stationes 2009

Until May 2009 this was Cross's art store, now being renovated for a new concern and currently showing it as previous concern William E Girard (Dennis Weaver's) Printer Stationer. Originally the "Victoria Hotel." The original paintwork can just be seen on the left wall, highlighted below.

Victoria paintwork 2009

Both photos by Paul Skelton, 12 August 2009.



On the corner with Russell Street in 1838. It was a commercial hotel supplied by Russell's Gravesend Brewery. The haunt for many years of the Dover Bicycle Club. Kelly's directory of 1874 described the premises as the "Victoria" family and commercial hotel, and billiard room; Russell Street.


Dover Telegraph and Cinque Ports General Advertiser, Saturday 24 March 1838.

Dovor. Valuable Freehold and Leasehold Estates.

To be sold by auction, Mr. T. Robinson, on Tuesday, 3rd of April, 1838, at 6 o'clock for 7, in the evening, precisely, at the "Victoria Hotel," Castle Street, the following freehold and leasehold Estates, which afford a most desirable opportunity for investment, or private presidents, consisting of


Lot VI. All that freehold Dwelling House, situated in High Street, Charlton, known by the sign of the "Almond  Tree," in the occupation of Henry Dixon.

(Please note, this "Almond Tree" is described as a dwelling house, and not to be confused with the "Almond Tree" in Laurestone Place, and as such probably was not a public or beer-house.)

From the Dover Telegraph and Cinque Ports General Advertiser, Saturday 26 October, 1839.


On Monday last, information was received by the Police station that a forgery had been committed on the Gravesend branch of the London and County bank, by a gentleman name Nathaniel Isaacs, of Chatham, and who was supposed to have arrived in Dover. Every search was made by the Superintendent of the Police, accompanied by a gentleman from the bank, without success, till last evening, when information was left at the station-house, that a gentleman had just died; by taking poison, at the "Victoria Hotel."

Mr. Corral immediately proceeded to the hotel, and found the unfortunate gentleman to be the person he had been in search of. The following are the only particulars we have been able to glean of this melancholy affair:- The deceased is very respectably connected at Chatham, and arrived at Dover on Monday morning by the mail, and said he was going to Mr. Magnus, who was his brother-in-law. It appears, however, that he did not do so, but to the "Victoria Hotel," about seven o'clock and ordered breakfast to be ready at nine. He then went out and did not return till about four o'clock in the afternoon, when he had tea, and shortly afterwards went to bed, but did not rise the following day till nearly four o'clock. He then stated to Mr. Boyce, the landlord, that he was an officer from Chatham, and that he intended to ride on the coach only a few miles when h left Chatham; but that he found a female so very engaging, that he followed her to Dover, where she was living with a family on the Marine Parade, as lady's-maid, and that he had been with her on the water all day. He then wrote some letters, and went to bed, where he remained till late the next day. On Wednesday evening, when he went to bed, he wished the landlord not to disturb him till the day mail arrived, at four o'clock, when he expected his servant would arrive with his luggage. Mr. Boyce went to call him, as desired; and on asking if he would have any refreshment prepared, the deceased said he was very ill, and wished for a glass of cold water. The door was fastened, and it was some time before deceased was able to get the door unlocked, and he appeared so ill, that Mr. Boyce insisted on having medical advice, and called in Mr. Hunt, who immediately perceived that the deceased had taken poison; and with the assistance of Mr. G. E. Rutley the stomach-pump was administered, and other means used, but without success, as the deceased lingered in the greatest agony till last night about six o'clock, when death terminated his earthly existence. The Inquest on the body will take place this day at two o'clock.


From the Dover Telegraph and Cinque Ports General Advertiser, Saturday 2 November, 1839.



An inquest was held at the "Victoria Hotel," on Saturday last, before G. T. Thompson, Esq., coroner for the borough, on the body of Nathaniel Isaacs, aged 39, who had died the previous evening from the effects of poison. The Jury having been sworn, and appointed by Mr. V. Bax their foreman, proceeded to view the body in an adjoining room; and on their return the following evidence was adduced:-

William Boyce, landlord of the hotel, being sworn, said the deceased came to my house between seven and eight o'clock on Monday morning, when he had a glass of brandy, and was shewn to a bed-room, and said he should no rise till 2 o'clock. I then went out, and on my return found the young man had gone out, and left orders for breakfast at half-past nine. He did not return till about five in the evening, when he had tea, and requested me to sit with him a short time, as he was alone. In the course of conversation he made an observation that it might appear strange for a gentleman to be travelling without luggage; but that when he left home he had no intention of proceeding more than a few miles on the road for a ride; but he found a very agreeable female companion, and he had come with her to Dover, and had been with her on the water the whole day. Deceased had written a letter, addressed to a gentleman at Tilbury Fort, which he wished me to send to the post. The letter was unsealed, and he wished me to read it, which I did. It gave a similar description of his leaving home, and requested a cheque for 15 to be sent to him. He then went to bed, and did not rise till about four o'clock the next day, when he had breakfast and went out. He returned in the evening and enquired if any parcel had arrived in reply to his letter; and then went to bed, where he remained till about the same hour as the previous day. After having tea, he went out for a walk, and returned about ten o'clock, when he again went to bed. requesting he might not  be called till four o'clock the next day, when he expected his servant would arrive with the luggage by the day mail. He said he was an officer in the army. On Thursday afternoon, I went to his bed-room. at the request of my wife, and asked if he would require any refreshment. It was some time before I could get an answer, when he said in a faint voice he was very ill. I requested him to unfasten the door; but he said he was too ill to get out of bed. I said I thought he could reach the latch from the bed; and after some time he unfastened the door. I brought him a glass of water at his request; but he said he was too ill and I must lift up his head. I then pressed him to let me send for medical assistance; but he refused, saying it was only a bilious attack, and that he should soon get better. Seeing him so ill, I insisted on his having some one, and sent for Mr. R. Hunt, who said he had no doubt the deceased had taken poison. I then searched his pockets, and found in them a letter addressed to Mr. Magnus, to be opened by him and him only, which I immediately forwarded. He had appeared very cheerful, and I observed nothing strange in his manner except on Tuesday, when he said he should go to bed, and shortly afterwards said he should go for a walk. His general behaviour was that of a person who appeared to know what he was doing.

Richard Thomas Hunt, surgeon, deposed as follows:- On being called to see the deceased, I found he had been vomiting, and I expressed to him my fear that he had taken poison, which he denied; and on questioning him further I could get no replies. I then called in the assistance of Mr. Rutley, who was of the same opinion as myself and we applied the stomach-pump and the usual antidotes. I requested Mr. Boyce to search the pockets of the deceased in which he found a letter addressed to Mr. Magnus and three papers labelled poison which were empty. He appeared in great pain but denied having taken poison. I said it was useless his denying it as we had found the papers and asked at what hour he had taken the poison; when he said he did not know. I then asked him why he had taken it, and he said because he was a ______ fool. He continued in great agony, and  attended him till the last evening about 5 o'clock, when he died from inflammation of the stomach, in consequence of taking poison.

Roderick Tunch, Chemist, King-street, said deceased came to my shop about the 17th or 18th instant, and represented himself as an officer living at the Castle, where he was dreadfully annoyed by the cats that came into his rooms, and wished for poison to destroy them. I gave him a quarter of an once of Carbonate of Barytes, labelled "poison." A day or two afterwards he came again, and said that he had destroyed some of the cats; but that he required more poison as they were still troublesome. I then supplied him with some arsenic. On each occasion he appeared very cheerful, and remained for some time conversing with the people in the shop.

Samuel Magnus, clothier. Snargate-street, examined. - The deceased is my brother-in-law, and is about 22 years of age and attends my father's business as an army broker, at Brompton. On Thursday last, a letter was brought to me by Mr. Boyce's son. I was so agitated on reading it, that I put it into my pocket, and have not since been able to find it and believe it to be lost. The letter stated that he was  at the "Victoria," where he had taken poison, and that Mr. Goff was the cause, as he had robbed him of upwards of 2000. On receiving the letter, I immediately wet to the "Victoria." The deceased appeared insensible, and I could get no answer from him, nor did he appear conscious of my presence. He was at my house last week, when by his manner appeared as usual. I have not seen him since, until called for on Thursday. several Jurors have expressed their surprise that a letter of such importance should be lost; and  some remarks being made, they were stopped by the coroner who observed that Mr. Magnus had stated on his oath that the letter was lost, and they were bound to believe him.

Mr. J. B. Knocker, manager of the Dover branch of the London and County bank, applied to the coroner, stating that he appeared on behalf of several parties who were sufferers by the deceased; and if not out of order he should wish the evidence of the lad taken who delivered the letter to Mr. Magnus, which it was thought might contain some information of importance relative to the property which had been obtained.

William Boyce, jun. examined - I took the letter to Mr. Magnus about 5 o'clock on Thursday evening, and gave it to him in the shop, where he opened it; and after looking at it hastily, put it into his pocket. There was a piece of paper folded in the letter, which Mr. Magnus took out; but he could not tell what it was.

Thomas Waller, mariner, being called refused to be sworn until he knew who was to pay him. The coroner replied that he had no power of making any payment, but if the witness persisted in his refusal, he had the power of committing him to prison. After some hesitation the witness gave the following evidence in a most irreverent manner, which was severely commented on by the coroner - On Monday last I took the deceased to St. Margarets, where he landed and had some breakfast, and returned to Dover about four o'clock. He slept nearly the whole distance in the boat. On landing he appeared afraid of being seen on the parade, and went towards the Castle. He agreed with me to take him to France the next day, but did not come.

----- Corral, superintendent of police, at Dover, stated that a gentleman arrived on Monday, from the Gravesend bank, and gave him information that several forgeries had been committed by Nathaniel Isaacs, at Chatham, who he thought had arrived at Dover, and wished me to apprehend him. I found no trace of the party until last evening; when I heard a person had taken poison at the "Victoria," who, on enquiry, I found to be the party I was in search of.

The Coroner commented on the evidence, observed that there was no doubt that the deceased had died by poison, and the only question was, as to the state of mind when the deed was committed; and after explaining the law of felo-de-se, as laid down by Lord Hale, the Jury retired, and after a consultation of about 20 minutes, returned a Verdict (That deceased destroyed himself during a fit of insanity."

The deceased was the son of Mr. Isaacs, of Brompton, who has carried on an extensive business in Chatham, as an army agent and general outfitter, by which, having amassed considerable wealth, he had latterly left the entire arrangement to the deceased. The young man being a very genteel and prepossessing appearance, was a great favourite with many of the chief families of Chatham, and the officers of the garrison and had latterly been living in a rather expensive style. The amount of his bills afloat are named from 7,000 to 10,000; it is said that the names of several officers of te army have been used in the fabrication of the bills; among whom we hear Capt. Daubeney, of the 55th for 300; Capt. Kyle, of the 45th, for 400; Earl Cassalis, of the Rifles, for 500; and several others. Messrs. Solomons, of Chatham, the County Branch Bank, at Chatham; and Mr. Chaplin, of the "Spread Eagle" Gracechurch-street, are said to be losers to a very considerable amount. Some erroneous reports appear to have been circulated respecting the father of the deceased, as will be seen by the following correspondence which we are required to publish:-


Sir, - certain false and scandalous reports have been industriously circulated in Chatham. and in some of the newspapers that Mr. Samuel Isaacs, outfitter, had been concerned in the late forgeries, or has received part of the proceeds, we beg to inform you that we have already commenced legal proceedings against Mr. Solomon Lucas, and Mr. John Marks, both of Chatham, on account thereof, and also against the proprietors of a newspaper containing a similar statement; and we have to request that the public will suspend their judgement upon the matter, until the trial of the actions, where the defendants will have an opportunity of proving the truth of their statements.

We subjoin the copy of a letter sent to the Editor of the Era newspaper, which they refused to insert even as an advertisement.

We are, sir, your obedient servants.


11, Queen-st. Place, 30th, Oct. 1839.

"To the Editor of the Era. Sir, there appearing in your paper of Sunday last, a gross and malicious libel upon Mr. Samuel Isaacs, of Chatham, the falsehood of which you either knew or could have easily ascertained, and your sub-editor having refused to furnish us with the name of the author, we beg to inform you that we have instructions immediately to commence legal proceedings against your proprietors, either by actions or criminal information, as Council may advise.

"In the meantime the public are requested to reserve some judgement."


From the Dover Telegraph and Cinque Ports General Advertiser, Saturday 30 January, 1841. Price 5d.



On Monday, the 15th day of February, 1841, at Three o'Clock in the Afternoon precisely, at the "Victoria Hotel," Castle Street.

1st. All that newly erected MESSUAGE or TENEMENT, with the Outbuildings and Premises, thereto belonging, situated at Hubert Terrace, and designated by the No. 5.

2ndly. All that newly built DWELLING HOUSE, with the stable and Yard attached, situated at Tower Hamlets in Charlton, now let to a respectable Tenant, Mr. Thomas Burden, at the yearly rent of 10 8s. Land Tax redeemed.

3rdly. Also a new building DWELLING HOUSE, situated in Ladywell Place, consisting of 2 rooms on the Ground Floor, 2 Chambers, 2 Attics, a Cellar and Kitchen, with a Pump of good Water and other conveniences, lately occupied by Mr. James Edmett.

For Particulars apply to Mr. KENNETT, Solicitor.


Kentish Gazette, 23 December 1851.

COURT OF BANKRUPTCY—London, Thursday, Dec. 18.

(Before Mr. Commissioner Holroyd.)

Re Boyce. Dover:— The "Victoria Hotel."

This was the first meeting fur the proof of debts and choice of Assignees, under the bankruptcy of William Boyce, of the "Victoria Hotel," Dover, innkeeper.

The bankrupt’s debts are stated to be under 1,400, but the dividend will depend upon the settlement of Mr. Divers’ claim by the Assignees, as he holds an agreement under which be is entitled to possession of the Hotel for money advanced to the bankrupt. The assets are at present stated to be 15s. in the pound, and it is to be hoped they will not be expended in litigation. Among the proofs tendered and admitted on this occasion were the following on behalf of the residents of Dover, &c:— Mr. Haynes Grant, 406 12s.; Mr. Alfred Kingsford, 267 11s. 5d.; Mr. Thos. Howard, 152 10s.; Mr. Wm. Batcheller, 19 15s.; Miss Lydia Back, 31 2s. 6d.; Mr. William Burman, 54 16s. 7d.; Mr. John Lilley, 24 7s.; Mr. Frederick Wood, 50; and Mr. J. B. Smart, 12 13s. 3d.

Mr. James Grant was nominated to act as Trade Assignee and having accepted the trust, the further proceedings were adjourned until the 15th of January next., at 12 o’clock, when the bankrupt must come up for the purpose of passing his examination.

The bankrupt applied for an allowance, and obtained 3 per week. Renewed protection was granted the bankrupt.


Kentish Gazette, 20 January 1852.


To Innkeepers, Wine and Spirit Merchants, Brewers Builders and Others.

NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN, that by order of the Assignee of William Boyce, a Bankrupt, and with the concurrence of his mortgagees.

The valuable FREEHOLD PROPERTY consisting of the well known and admirably situated HOTEL, called the "VICTORIA HOTEL," in Castle Street, DOVER, A Genteel HOUSE adjoining, and an eligible piece of BUILDING LAND, in Russell Street, Dover, will be offered for Sale by PUBLIC AUCTION.

At the "Victoria Hotel," DOVER, on MONDAY, the 9th February, 1852.

Further particulars will appear in future advertisements, and meantime may be obtained of Mr. Chalk, Messrs. Thompson and
Watson, or Messrs. Bass and Stilwell, of Dover, Solicitors, or of Mr. John Grant, of Dover, the solicitor to the Assignee.


Kentish Gazette, 27 January 1852.

COURT OF BANKRUPTCY,—London, Thursday.


(Before Mr. Commissioner Holroyd.)

Re Boyce.

The "Victoria Hotel," Dover.

This day was appointed for the bankrupt William Boyce, landlord of the "Victoria Hotel," to come, up for the purpose of passing his examination. The sitting was also for the proof of debts.

Mr. Cross represented the trade creditor. Mr. Thomas Grant, of Dover, distiller, and Mr. Engleheart, solicitor, of Doctor's Commons, attended with Mr. Divers, the bankrupt's son-in-law, to watch the proceedings.

The circumstances connected with this failure, and the amount of dividend which the creditors may expect to receive, (unless the assets he frittered away in expensive litigation,) will be collected from the balance-sheet filed by the bankrupt. It commences on the 1st of January, 1852, and ends at the date of the petition, the 1st of last December. It is thus summed up, viz.:—


To Creditors 1465 0s. 8d.

Mortgage Creditors 1741 3s. 0d.

To Capital 653 1s. 3d.

To Profits on trade eleven months returns 621 13s. 5d., estimated at being 25 per cent 155 8s. 6d.

Total 4014 13s. 10d.


By Debtors, 11 17s. 1d.

By Debtors doubtful 4 12s. 0d.

By the assignees 585 0s. 0d.

By Valuation of Freehold mortgages 3000 0s. 0d.

By Trade charges 161 19s. 11d.

By Law costs 120 0s. 0d.

By Interest 37 10s. 0d.

By Personal and domestic expenses 94 3s. 3d.

Total 4014 13s. 0d.

According to the "Statement of Affairs," the bankrupt stood in the following position on the 1st of January, 1852, viz.:—

Dr.—W. Bourner, Dover, 55 ; Miss Back, 61 2s. 6d.; Henry Driver, 300; Mr. Dodd, (costs), 2 4s. 6d.; Wm. Batcheller, 19  15s. 10d.; — Chandler. 6 18s. 4d.; Flashman, 6 18s. 5d.; Grant and Co., 291 15s. 4d.; King, 7 9s; Alfred Kingsford, 250 1s. 3d.; C. Lamb, 6; Leman, Hart, and Co., 100 9s.; S. Rorwood, 152 10s.; National Provincial Bank, 23; R. Watson, 31 11s.; Frederick Wood, 50; Thomas Wrictle, 1200; Building Society, 386 3s. 9d.; balance capital, 653 1s. 3d.— Total, 3604 0s. 2d.

Cr.— By household furniture, 500; stock in trade, 100; freehold "Victoria Hotel," mortgaged for 1200, valued at 2500; freehold house, No. 10, Castle-street, Dover, mortgaged to Building Society, at value, 500; debts due, Crump, 3 11s 3d., Warrick, 8s. 11d.; total, 3604 0s. 2d.; balance capital, 1st Jan., 1852, 653 13s.

In reference to the creditors, the bankrupt makes the following statement in page 1 of his balance sheet:—

"William Bourner, Dover, 51 16s. 7d., joint promissary note with my son, William Boyce, for his provision, but stated as a debt due from me."Samuel Norwood, Dover, 152 10s. Amount advanced on my furniture, but the security is given up.

"Driver Henry Lauden, about 250. This creditor is my son-in-law. There is a long disputed account with him—he claiming a debt due to him of 500, but which I do not owe. All the papers connected with this account are with the solicitor to the petition."

Under the head of mortgage creditors are—

"Building Society, Dover, balance 391 3s. 9d., holding a mortgage on freehold house and land, adjoining the hotel. I estimate the present value of the property at 500.

"Macleod, Thomas, Dover, 150, holding a mortgage on both the above, subject to the paid charges thereon. This mortgage is dated in 1851.

"Property taken by the assignees—household furniture and fixtures in the "Victoria Hotel," 500; stock in trade estimated at 100; left to be paid in full— Fanny Boyce, one quarter's salary, 5; assessed taxes, 10; balance, 585."

After a brief conversation, the bankrupt's examination was adjourned until the 29th inst, to enable the official assignees to enquire into circumstances, which had only lately come to his knowledge. The bankrupt's protection was renewed.


Kentish Gazette, 9 March 1852.

Re-Boyce, Sen. The "Victoria Hotel," Dover.

The bankrupt, Wm. Boyce, sen., was proprietor for many years of this well-known hostelry, at Dover. The former proceeding under this bankruptcy have already appeared in this Journal, and he now came up and applied for his certificate.

Mr. Cross, from the Office of Messrs. Church and Langdale, agents for Mr. Grant, solicitor, of Dover, appeared on behalf of the Creditors' Assignee, Mr. Grant, of Dover, distiller. The bankrupt was accompanied by his Accountants, Messrs. Glover and Son, of Bucklersbury, and a number of friends, but was not represented by any legal gentleman.

Mr. Cross stated that he was not instructed to oppose the present application, but on the contrary, the Assignees considered the bankrupt's conduct to have been most fair and honourable, in giving up his property for equitable distribution among his body of creditors, so that they might shine and share alike. The accounts he had rendered were satisfactory, and as no creditor came forward to offer any opposition, he (Mr. Cross) ventured to suggest that the Court should grant a certificate of the highest class.

His Honour, after examining the proceedings, remarked, that he regretted that he could not grant the bankrupt a first class certificate, in consequence of his imprudence in having signed an agreement affecting his property to his son-in-law, and but for which circumstance he would have received the highest class certificate, as all the other points of the case appeared to be creditable to him. The Court, however, would grant him an immediate certificate of the second class.

The bankrupt thanked his Honour and withdrew with his friends.

It was stated that Mr. Boyce would continue to conduct the Hotel, and that some of the members of the Corporation are about to have a dinner in aid of his future trading.


Kentish Gazette, 28 December 1852.

COURT OF BANKRUPTCY, London, Dec. 23rd

(Before Mr. Commissioner Holroyd.) Re Staner's Bankruptcy.

Complaint Against Assignees.

Mr. Swain the barrister applied to the court for its assistance under these circumstances. The learned counsel stated, that his client, Mr. Divers, was the son-in-law, and largest creditor to the bankrupt, William Boyce, of the "Victoria Hotel," Dover, who failed so far back as the month of December, in the last year. At the meeting for the choice of assignees, Mr. Thomas Grant, wine merchant of Dover, and brother of the solicitor to the proceedings, was appointed to act as trade assignee. The bankrupt passed his examination on the 29th of January, in this year, and on the 26th of February last, an audit meeting was held, when it appeared the assignees had received 350. In July last, the assets received amounted to 1074 2s. 5d. but, notwithstanding 5 months of elapse, no dividend had been declared, and the body of creditors had been kept out of their money. Among the expenses which had been incurred and paid were — the Chief Registers Account, 36. 13s. 10d., postage and petty charges, 11 4s. 3d., Official Assignees allowance, 18 19s. 8d., messenger's allowance, 38 16s., the solicitor up to audit, 118 0s. 8d., brokers charges, 10, 19s, auctioneers charges, 52. 7s. 6d, Grant, the assignee for travelling expenses 8 2s. 2d., and bankrupt's travelling expenses and allowance 30 0s. 6s. The furniture, fixtures and effects with valued in March, 1851, by Mr. Hiller at 575 15s. 5d, but they had been sold for 350. 17s. 6d. The bankrupt still continued in possession of the hotel and property which had been bought in by the assignee for 515 in July last, still remained undisposed off. Mr. Divers after every possible opposition, and at considerable trouble and expense, have proved for 340, but was unable to obtain his dividend, or any redress through the family compact which appeared to exist between a solicitor and assignee, and what seems to him, (Mr. Swain) to be an extra ordinary feeling which ha been imported into the proceedings against Mr. Divers. Under the circumstances he had to request the interference of the court, to compel the assignees to pay the dividend forthwith.

Mr. Edwards, the official assignee, in answer to his Honour, explained that the solicitor for the trade assignee had only just delivered his second bill of costs, and as that had not yet been taxed, the dividend had not been paid.

Mr. Swain said that ought not to have occasion the delay off which he complained, as the sum of money might have been reserved for payment for the solicitor's bill, which ought to have been delivered and taxed long ago.

His Honour said he had no power at present to assist the learned counsel, but some stringent rules on the subject of dividends would shortly come into operation. The solicitor's bill of costs ought certainly to have been delivered in the early part of November, and unless he exercised due diligence, the better way would be for the official assignee to pay the credit as the dividend without regard to the solicitor.

Mr. Swain then applied that Mr. Divers should be allowed to attend the taxation, and the Court granted the application.


From the Dover Express June 1853.

A large concourse was attracted to Castle Street on Sunday afternoon about two o'clock to an alarm of fire having broken out at Boyce's Victoria Hotel. On proceeding to the spot it was found that this was incorrect the facts being briefly as follows:-

From foulness or some other cause the soot in the chimney of the Victoria ignited.

The adjoining house was at the time under repair, and the slate being off its place was supplied with a large sailcloth. Several fragments of the burning soot fell on this covering and lighted it. The flames rapidly communicated to the exposed joists and but for the prompt intervention of most efficient aid the house in question, and no doubt other property too, must have fallen a prey to the devouring element.

The two Corporation Engines with their Captain's Messrs G. T. Parks and Wood were promptly on the spot, and one of them (which was sufficient) was forthwith brought into operation. A plentiful supply of water was at hand and in less than 20 minutes the fire was got under. The short time that elapsed from the commencement of the engines playing on extinguishing of the flames is in some measure to be attributed to the mode of proceeding on the occasion. Though no porters are said to have been present the engines were ably manned. Mr. Wood directing operations below and Mr. Parks bearing the hose on the scene of danger thus the water was directed downwards on the burning masses.

The effect of its application in that manner was soon evinced by all apprehensions of a further spread of the fire being shortly removed. The damage sustained will require an outlay of about 50. We understand that not the slightest injury is done to the Hotel on one side of the burning house or the residence on the other side. We would not omit complimenting those having control of the engines on the promptness and energy displayed. We visited the Engine House after the conflagration, it is situated in Caroline Place near St. Mary's Church. An additional room has been provided for the arrangements and the order in which it is kept reflects much credit on Mr. Parks. Now the practised hand need waste no time in equipping for any emergency.

Information kindly supplied by Joyce Banks.


South Eastern Gazette, 3 January, 1860.

Concealment of Birth. Coroner's inquest.

An inquest was held on Tuesday afternoon last, at the "Victoria Hotel," Castle Street, by G. T. Thompson, Esq., borough coroner, on the body of the newly born infant child of a servant girl named Jane Hinckley, residing with Mrs. Carter, Castle Street. Hinckley had never mentioned the condition in which she was, and never appears to have been suspected until Sunday morning, when about six o'clock she went into her mistresses bedroom and complained of being ill. Mrs. Carter got up, and began dressing, went on hearing and exclamation from the servant, she turned round and saw what she believed to be a child's foot, on which she went downstairs and sent at once for Mr. Kelsey, surgeon. That gentleman on his arrival found the dead body of an infant in a chamber utensil. On a post mortem examination the child did not have seen to have breathed, and had in fact been still born, whether suffocated in birth or not could not be ascertained.

The jury returned a verdict to the effect that the child was still born.

When she can be removed she will be apprehended on the charge of concealment of birth.



The Dover Express of 9th May 1863 reported: The "Victoria Inn," Castle Street, which has been carried on by the owner, Mr. Marchant, since the retirement of Mr. Trevelyan, it was stated that a new landlord was expected to take possession at the end of the week, and the Bench therefore postponed the transfer till Monday next.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 13 February, 1864.


William Goodman, a bricklayer, was charged as a "drunk and disorderly," having been found by police-constable Faith knocking at the street door of the "Victoria Hotel," Castle Street, which, owing to the bewildering influence of his excessive liberties, he had mistaken for that of his own lodgings. Being unknown to the police, he was dismissed with a caution.



The premises was put up for auction in 1868 as shown by the following article that appeared in the Dover Express in June of that year.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 5 June, 1868.

Important Notice to Innkeepers, Wine and Spirit Merchants, Brewers & others, of Auction Sale of a


In one of the best localities in the Borough of Dover, in the County of Kent, which, under the instructions received, will, on THURSDAY, 11th JUNE, 1868, be submitted for public competition by Messrs. James B. Terson & Son. At the "Royal Oak Hotel," Dover.

At three o'clock p.m. all that Well-Established and Admirably Situated HOTEL known as the "VICTORIA," with frontage to Castle Street, and Russell Street, Dover, in immediate proximity to the Market Square, the Fashionable Promenades, and Baths; an easy distance from the Railway Stations; and a direct House-of-Call for the traffic to and from Dover and Walmer, Deal, Sandwich, Ramsgate, Margate, &c. This eligible Property is Freehold, is of modern and substantial build, most conveniently and skilfully arranged, especially constructed to replete with every convenience for HOTEL PURPOSES, and now in hand. The position is central, cheerful, and respectable. Immediate possession may be had on completion of the purchase, and a portion of the purchase money may remain on mortgage if required. The valuable Freehold premises are well drained and water is laid on. The whole of the Vendor's Fixtures and Fittings now on the Property will be included with the purchase.

For further particulars and Conditions of Sale and Orders to View this Valuable Hotel Property apply to Messrs. FEW & COLE, the Vendor's Solicitors, 71, High Street, Southwark; Messrs. FIELDING & GREENHOW, Solicitors, Dover; or to Messrs. JAMES B. TERSON & SON, Auctioneers, Estate and General Agents, No 48, Castle Street, Dover.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 6 August, 1869


The Magistrates granted permission to sell till the next transfer day at the "Victoria Hotel," Castle Street, to Mr. George Henry Eden.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 14 December, 1877. Price 1d.


An application for the transfer of the "Victoria Hotel," Castle Street, from Mr. Benjamin Cane to Mr. F. G. Coxworthy was made.

The applicant handed in several letters from his late employer, which related more to matters of business than references as to character; these the applicant thought was sufficient.

The Bench said no doubt the things was right; but the Superintendent would make enquiries, and the applicant could be renewed the following Friday.


From the Dover Express and East Kent Intelligencer, 20 February, 1880. Price 1d.


An inquest was held yesterday afternoon at the "Union Workhouse," Bridge, near Canterbury, before the County Coroner (Dr. J. S. Johnson), on the body of newly-born male child  found in a field, suspected to be the infant of Julia Horn, late servant at the "Victoria Hotel," Castle Street, Dover, who is now in the custody of the Canterbury Police. The Superintendent of the Dover Police was present, but was not called upon to give evidence.

Mr. John Martin was chosen foreman of the jury, who, after viewing the body, heard the following evidence:-

Stephen Buxley, waggoner in the employ of John Coppins, a bailiff of the Rev. Hughes Hallet, Higham, said: Yesterday morning, about 7 o'clock, I was at work in my master's field when, on going towards a hedge, I saw the body of the deceased lying just inside the edge. I then went and told Coppins. About ten o'clock Poloice-constable Davis, my master, and myself visited the body. The constable pulled the body of the child out of the hedge, and I then saw three small marks at the back of the head and the face disfigured. The body part of the child was covered over with a towel, which was marked "H7" in ink.

By the Jury: I saw no marks after the towel was taken from the body. The one produced I believe is the same, but I am not sure of the colour of the marking on it.

John Coppins said: I am bailiff to the Rev. Hughes Hallet. Yesterday morning, about a quarter past seven, the last witness (Buxley) told me about the deceased child. I sent a man for the police and then I went to see the child alone, but did not touch it. I gave orders for no one to stamp about near the place. It had a towel round the lower part of the body. I told my landlord what I had seen. About ten o'clock I accompanied Police-constable Davis to see the body. The child was lying face downwards and the constable picked it up and turned it over. I then saw the face was disfigured. The towel was wet and dirty, and "H7" was marked upon it in red.

Police-constable Davis, stationed at Bridge, said: Yesterday, about 10 a.m., I received information from Thomas Bushell, a labourer in the employ of the Rev. Hughes Hallett, that a child was lying dead beside a hedge at Higham farm. I went to the spot in company with the last witness. The child was lying face downwards in the hedge with the towel now produced round its waist. There were three small marks on the back of the head. I saw no blood. In lifting the child from the hedge I noticed that the left side of the mouth was greatly pressed back towards the ear. There was no blood near the fence. I brought the child back to the Workhouse and reported the case to the coroner.

Dr. Wacher, practising and residing at Canterbury, said: This afternoon, about half-past two, I first saw the body of the deceased male child. I examined it externally and the only mark of violence I found was the left cheek was torn from its attachments to the lower jaw. I have since made a post mortem examination of the body. The lungs were of a healthy consistence and contained air, floating when put in water. It was a full-grown child and healthy to all appearances. It measured 1 ft. 8 in. and weighed 6 lbs. In my opinion the mother of the child had not been attended by an experienced person. I cannot say how long the child had breathed.

By the Jury: I should say the child was born about ten days ago. I believe it would have lived had the mother been properly attended.

The Coroner summed up and the Jury, after a brief consideration, returned a verdict "That the child was found dead, but how it came by its death they are not in a position to say."


The girl Julie Horn, late  servant at the "Victoria Hotel," Dover, who has confessed to having been delivered of a child, was brought up before the City magistrates of Canterbury this morning charged with the wilful murder of her child and also concealment of the birth of the same. It appears that a short time the prisoner hurriedly left her situation at the "Victoria Hotel," Dover, by omnibus and travelled to bridge, near Canterbury, to the residence of her parents. She had three bundles with her. A few days after the child was found in Higham Farm field at Bridge wrapped in a towel, which had since been identified by the landlady of the "Victoria Hotel" as her property, and which was in the prisoner's bedroom. A constable was sent to the house of the mother of the prisoner, but both denied knowing anything of the child till the following day when the prisoner confessed that she had been delivered of a child. She was then removed to Canterbury Prison on the charge of the wilful murder and concealment of birth of the deceased child.


From the Dover Express and East Kent Intelligencer, 27 February, 1880. Price 1d.


On Friday afternoon, at Superintendent Walker's Office, Canterbury, before J. W. Z. Wright, Esq., a young woman, aged 18, named Julia Horn, was charged with causing the death of a child at the “Victoria Hotel,” Dover, on the 4th inst.

Stephen Buxley said: I reside in the parish of Patrixbourne, and am employed by Mr. T. Hallett, as waggoner. I was at plough on the 18th at seven o'clock in the morning, in a field near where the prisoner's mother lives. I was turning at the end when I observed something lying in the hedge, and on going to look at it I found it to be the body of a child lying among some grass on a bank by the side of the hedge. The lower part of the body was wrapped in a towel. I then sent and informed the bailiff, who sent one of the workmen for a policeman, and Police-constable Davis came and took charge of the body. I did not see anyone about the place. I know the prisoner but did not see her. I did not know she was at home. The other side of the hedge was the main road to Adisham. The towel produced is the one I saw round the body of the child. I know the towel by the mark on “H7” on it.

Police-constable Davis said: I proceeded to the field in question at Higham Farm, where the last witness had been ploughing. I there saw the body of a dead child lying face downwards in the hedge. The hedge was a thick one, but where the child was lying there was a gap, but the body could not easily be seen from the road, the body lying on the field side. The towel is marked “H7” with red cotton. I conveyed the body to the Bridge Union, where an inquest has since been held upon the body. I placed it in the dead-house attached to the Union, locked it up, and gave orders to the master that no one was to touch it. The jury returned a verdict of found dead. From inquiries I made I found the prisoner was residing with her mother, 50 yards from the place where the child was found. A watch was kept by the police over the house. I took the towel produced to Dover, and made inquiries at the “Victoria Hotel.” I showed the towel to Mrs. Coxworthy and from what she told me afterwards I apprehended the prisoner, and charged her with having caused the death of her child and concealed its birth. She answered indignantly “it is not my child.” I received from Mrs. Coxworthy the towel produced, marked “H3.”

Mrs. Maria Coxworthy said: My husband keeps the “Victoria Hotel,” at Dover. The prisoner had been in my service since the 24th of last March, as general servant. On the 4th February, between eight and nine o'clock in the morning, I was told that the prisoner was downstairs in great pain. I went down and found her doing up the fireplace. I told her as she was ill she had better go away, and I would do the work. She appeared to be in pain. She then went away for about an hour, and returned saying she had been sick, but now felt better. She still appeared to be in pain, and I sent her some breakfast in her room, and did not see her again until between 12 and 1 o'clock. She then went to my room and began to work. I found she was in an unfit condition, and I told her she had better go to bed. I sent her some beef tea and other food. At tea time I went upstairs and found her still unwell. I told her to remain in bed, but I had no suspicion of what occurred. The same night I took her some port wine, and on the following day, finding that she was still weak, I told her to remain in bed and said I would send for her mother. She said that I need not do that for she had been in the same condition several times when she was younger. I did, however, send for her mother. On Friday she said she would go away but I would not let he go. On Saturday her mother came and she went away. I told her mother I thought something was wrong and she should have a doctor. She promised to have one. I had no suspicion of what was the matter. The towel marked “H7” is similar to the towel she used when in my service. The towel marked “H3” I found in her room after she had left and gave it to the police.

Jane Axford said: I am a charwoman and have worked occasionally at the “Victoria Hotel.” I did not know the prisoner's condition, but I had a month or six weeks ago jokingly said she was getting very stout, she only laughed and said “that's all right old girl.” I think I mentioned the circumstance three or four times to her, but I thought no more of the matter. She afterwards said “oh, there's nothing of that kind the matter with me,” and always denied being enceinte. The witness also deposed from her examination of the linen to her belief that a birth had taken place.

Mr. Frank Wacher said: I know the prisoner, about two o'clock yesterday afternoon at the police-station. I examined her and formed the opinion that she had been delivered of a child within a fortnight. I was quite certain of the fact, therefore I don't think that any conversation that took place need be given.

The Clerk: The question is, did she make a statement?

Mr. Wacher: She did make a statement. I asked if she had been confirmed, and she said I have not been confirmed. I said I am certain you have been confirmed, how long ago was it? She said a fortnight ago yesterday. I have seen the body of a child at the Bridge Union yesterday afternoon, and in my opinion it had been dead about a fortnight. I made a post-mortem examination and found the lungs inflated with air. There is no doubt that the child had breathed. I think from the state of the lungs that breathing must have gone on some time.

Mr. Wacher continued: The umbilical cord had been left attached to the child to the length of six inches; it had not been cut but torn.

The Clerk: Were there any marks of violence?

Mr. Wacher: The left angle of the lip was pulled from its attachment to the lower jaw.

The Clerk: can you state whether the child had a separate existence from its mother?

Mr. Wacher: No, I cannot state that.

The Clerk: Not if it had a momentary existence separate from its mother?

Mr. Wacher: I cannot even state that. The body did not appear as if it had been attended to.

The Clerk: You know the charge against you, and you are charged that you, having been delivered of a child, which instantly died, you did unlawfully try to conceal it by placing it in the hedge.

Mr. Wright having read the usual caution, said: Have you anything to say in answer to the charge.

The prisoner: I have nothing to say.

Mr. Wright then formally committed the prisoner to take her trial, upon the above charge at the next Maidstone Assizes.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 15 April, 1887. Price 1d.


The Dover Cycling Club will open the season with a run to Alkham on Wednesday, April 20th, the members meeting at the “Victoria Hotel,” Castle Street, at six p.m., and unattached riders are cordially invited. Amongst the cyclists asked to take part in the Easter Manoeuvres were the members of the Dover Cycling Club.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 6 June, 1890.


At the Police Court on Monday, Herbert Clark, a Corporal in the Highland Light Infantry, was charged with being drunk, and breaking a pane of embossed glass, value 2, at the “Victoria Hotel,” Castle Street. Mr. Seth Watts, the landlord, said: the prisoner, accompanied by a Royal Fusilier, entered his house on Saturday about 5.15 p.m., they were both drunk, and called for some beer, which he refused to serve. They then made a disturbance with some customers in the bar, and a Policeman was sent for. The men then went out, and the landlord locked the door. Finding they could not get in, the prisoner took off his belt and struck the door with the buckle end of it, breaking the glass, doing damage to the extent of 40s. An officer of the Regiment gave the prisoner a very good character, stating that he had only just been promoted to a full corporal. He was dismissed on paying the costs, amounting to 2 3s. 6d.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 13 January, 1891. Price 1d.


On Monday afternoon, the Borough Coroner (Sydenham Payn, Esq.), held an inquest at the “Victoria Hotel,” Castle Street, on the body of Mrs. M. Young, of 14 Caroline Place, who died on Sunday from injuries received by falling downstairs on her head. Mr. Zoller was chosen foreman of the Jury, and the following evidence was taken.

George Young, husband of the deceased said he worked at Messrs. Friend & Co. The body the Jury had seen was that of his wife Maria Young, and her age was 59. he left home on Saturday about two o'clock, and came back about half past eleven, which was nearly an hour later than usual, as the boat trains did not arrive on time. He found the front door locked, which was rather unusual. He then went to the back door and shook it. The deceased who was upstairs called out that she would be down directly. He heard her come down a few stairs then fall. His son who was with him then got in by the cellar flap, and let him in. He found his wife at the bottom of the staircase in her night dress. Dr. Baird was sent for immediately.

William Young, the above witness's son, was also called, and corroborated his father's evidence.

The Jury returned a verdict of “Accidental Death.”


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday 22 February, 1907. Price 1d.


Mary Heathcote was charged with refusing to quit licensed premises, the “Victoria Hotel,” and further with breaking a plate glass window at the Hotel.

Herbert Edward Ashmore, landlord of the “Victoria Hotel,” castle Street, said: Last night, about 7.15, the defendant came in alone. She was sober, and called for a glass of beer, and I served her. She sat there about a quarter of an hour. I thought that long enough for her to take her refreshment, and I asked her if she was waiting for anyone. “Yes,” she said, “I am waiting for my husband.” I said, “You have been here quite long enough; you had better drink your beer and wait for him outside.” She refused to do so, and told me I had no right to order her out of the house. I said if she refused to leave I should put her out. She was not drunk, disorderly, not quarrelsome. She picked up her glass and went out. She took the glass with her. The next moment I heard a smash, and found that a plate window in the bar was broken. I went outside and arrested the woman, sent for a Policeman, and gave her in charge. She must have thrown the glass at the window, as it fell outside. Mr. Francis estimated the damage at 4 13s. 0d.

Driver James Beach, A.S.C., said that he was in Castle Street about twenty to eight, and was passing the “Victoria Hotel.” The prisoner came out of the house. She had a glass with some ale in it. As soon as she was outside she threw the glass at the window, breaking it. The landlord came out and arrested her.

The woman alleged that she was thrown out of the house by a drunken man, and she then broke the window. This was absolutely denied by both witnesses.

Police Constable Morecroft said that when he took the prisoner into custody she used most filthy language to a bystander, and knocked his hat off. All the way to the station she used most filthy language.

The Chief Constable stated that on Sunday night the woman was in company with a notorious Dover woman and a number of soldiers on Castle Hill creating a great disturbance, and had to be cautioned.
The woman was sent to prison for 14 days' hard labour.



Financial difficulty resulted in the closure on 31 December 1914. The Gravesend Brewery Company received compensation of 100 and the trustees for the debenture holders, 125.10s.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 22 July, 1910.



Victoria Hotel just after closure 1915Edward Grimerd v Messrs. Russell and Co., Ltd. This was a claim of 12 17s. 2d. for removing a billiard table by Mr. E. Grimerd, billiard expert, of Dover. The claim was admitted, but the defendants counterclaimed 12 12s. 6d. for damage done on the railway to the billiard slates removed by the plaintiff through improper packing.

Mr. Tatham said that the defendant had at the "Victoria Hotel," Dover, a billiard table which they wanted to transfer to Shoeburyness. The plaintiff was employed to take the table down, put it on the rail, and at Shoebury to put it together again. The slates of the table were put on the rail by the plaintiff, and on arriving at Shoeburyness it was found that two of the slates were broken. A claim was made against the railway, but it was found that the slates were sent on devoid of packing, and Mr. Grimerd signed for them to be forwarded at owner's risk. The defendants therefore claimed for damage from neglect on the plaintiff's part.

William Beer, foreman in the goods yard at the Priory station, said that on March 26th a billiard table and accessories were sent to Shoeburyness. The plaintiff put them on the rail, and packed them with the assistance of the railway men into a railway truck. The slates were laid in the bottom of the truck, and they were separated by battens of wood. There was also wood packing on the sides, the legs, and other parts of the fittings were laid out separately. They were well loaded so far as they could be, but they were not what they called packed unless they were in cases. He would not accept them unless they were packed in cases except at owner's risk note. The plaintiff had signed on the owner's risk note before, and must have known what they were. He produced one and the plaintiff signed.

The defendant admitted that he signed the note.

Cross-examined: He had seen several tables come and go packed in the same way, and never heard of one being broken before this.

Mr. Grimerd said that damage through wilful misconduct was excepted from owner's risk. He took it that neglect through shunting would do that.

His honour said that that would be neglect, not wilful misconduct, and that was not included in the exceptions.

George Summers, carman in the South-Eastern and Chatham Railway's employ, said that he collected the slates from the "Victoria Hotel" and assisted Mr. Grimerd to put them into the truck as stated. He considered them sufficiently protected for owner's risk.

Cross-examined: The top slates were moved 3ft. from the end of the truck. Mr. Grimerd drew his attention to it, and said that the truck had been bashed about most unmercifully for the slates to be moved as they were.

William Benson, foreman carman for the London, Tilbury and Southend Railway, said that he unloaded the slates. Some of them were broken. They were not properly packed, and not protected at all. Some of the battens were in their place and some were not. There were no signs of more than ordinary shunting.

Cross-examined: He did not know why the box car was opened before Mr. Grimerd arrived. He did not remember hearing it said that there was a runaway shunt which was the cause of the smash.

The Judge: A neglectful shunt will not help you. Mr. Grimerm may have made a contract that entitled them to be sent at owner's risk, which would be a good reply, but this question of neglectful shunting would not effect the case. It must be wilful misconduct. He had signed a document which admitted that the goods were not properly protected by packing. It may be open to him to show that the other side authorised him to sign at owner's risk.

Mr. Grimerd said he was not told how to send them. It was in the ordinary way.

The correspondence between the parties was handed to His Honour. The defendant in his first letter said that he would put the table in a box truck in the ordinary way.

Mr, Grimerd said he would call attention to the letter of April 14th.

His Honour said that was the one in which he repudiated giving an owner's risk note. Why did he repudiate that?

Mr. Grimerd said there were three different coloured notes, and he signed the note after it was dark. He was not told that it was an owner's risk note, and he did not know it was one.

In reply to His Honour Mr. Tatham said that the charge for the carriage was 55/8. That was the same as if at company's risk.

His Honour: They did charge full price.

Mr. Tatham: If they are not properly packed you have to pay full company's risk price.

Mr. Grimerd said that there was a letter from the defendants which ordered the new slates to be applied to their account. He maintained that as he had that order he was entitled to payment. He also contended that if the company charged 55/8 they took it at company's risk. In his letter he said he would pack them in the ordinary way in a box truck, and the railway company said they had seen them coming and going in this way without any damage.

Cross-examined: The two new slates cost 12, - and he also claimed 12/6 for an extra journey to Shoeburyness.

His Honour said the plaintiff was employed as an agent, and he was to take all care, and if guilty of negligence was liable for damages. Owing to the act of their agent in signing the owner's risk note the defendants were precluded from bringing any action against the railway company. The agent was therefore liable, and he had to give judgment for the amount of the damage, 12.

His Honour suggested there should be no costs. The plaintiff's intention was to do what he could for the defendants, and he did not think they should press for costs.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 6 February, 1914. Price 1d.


The Chief Constable said that the “Victoria,” Castle Street, belonged to Russell's Brewery Company, Gravesend. The tenant was Mr. Cullinane, who had held it since January, 1910. There had been transfers in 1900, 1902, 1903, 1905, 1906, and 1909. the rateable value was 40 gross and 32 net. The licensed houses in the immediate neighbourhood were the “Castle Inn,” Dolphin Lane, 64 yards; the “Ancient Druids,” Stembrook, 80 yards; the “Burlington Inn,” Castle Street, 113 yards; the “Dolphin Inn,” 138 yards; and the “Fox Inn,” St. James's Street, 141 yards.

Inspector Lockwood said that when he visited the house at 10.20 a.m. on the 22nd January, and at 9.24 on the 25th, there were no customers; on the 27th, there were, at 6.45 p.m., three customers; and on the 30th, at 8.55, six customers.

The house was referred for compensation.


From the Dover Mercury,18 April 2015.

A property in Dover with shops and flats is on sale at auction next month.

Clive Emson auctioneers are selling the building on the corner of Castle Street and Russell Street.

Former Victoria Hotel 2015

The residential part is known as Victoria Residence. It has a freehold guide price of 245-250,000.

The flats are on assured short hold tenancy agreements and the shop is let under a 20-year lease from May 2012 at a rental price of 7,500 per year.

Kevin Gilbert, auctioneer and familiar figure on BBC’s Homes Under the Hammer, said: “This substantial mix-use block presents an attractive investment opportunity.

“Currently it brings in a rental income of 24,600 per annum and we believe there will be a number of investors looking at the opportunity.”

The auction is at The Clive Emson Conference Centre, Kent County Showground, Maidstone, at 11am on Monday, May 5.



HIPGRAVE George date unknown

BOYCE William 1837-53+ Next pub licensee had Pigot's Directory 1840Bagshaw's Directory 1847

ADAMS George 1854 (Victoria)

RENYON James 1856

RANDALL William 1861

PAYNE E 1863 (Victoria Inn Castle St)

TREVELYAN 1863 retired (Victoria Inn) Dover Express

MARCHANT to May/1863 (Victoria Inn Castle St) Dover Express

WRIGHT William May/1865 Next pub licensee had(Victoria)

EDEN George Henry Aug/1869-71 (hotel keeper age 56 in 1871Census) Dover Express

CULLEN Mrs Matilda July/1871-July/72 Dover Express

JUDGE James Bourne July/1872-74 Dover ExpressPost Office Directory 1874Kelly's 1874

CAVE/CANE Benjamin 1876-Dec/77 Dover Express

COXWORTHY Franklyn Drayson Dec/1877-89+ (Post Office Directory 1882Victoria)Pikes 1889

WATTS Seth 1890-95+ (age 52 in 1891Census) Dover Express

WALKER Apr/1898 Dover Express

PURNELL Francis Henry Apr/1898-99 Dover ExpressKelly's Directory 1899

GOODCHILD Edward June/1900+ Dover Express

DOUBELL C R 1902-Sept/03 Dover Express

COULTER Thomas Dangerfield Sept/1903-May/05 (Formerly hotel keeper in China and Japan) Dover Express

BAKER Joshua Bentley May/1905-May/06 Next pub licensee had Dover Express (Former licensee at Gravesend)

ASHMORE Herbert Edward May1906-Jan/09 (Non commissioned officer recently retired with excellent credentials from the Royal marines) Dover Express

BURGESS Daniel Jan/1909-Jan/10 Dover Express

CULLINANE John James Jan/1910-14 end (of Gillingham)


The Dover Express says Daniel Burgess was an Army pensioner before taking over the hotel. Also John James Cullinane was from Gillingham licensed victullers. Dover Express


Pigot's Directory 1840From the Pigot's Directory 1840

Bagshaw's Directory 1847From Bagshaw Directory 1847

Post Office Directory 1874From the Post Office Directory 1874

Post Office Directory 1882From the Post Office Directory 1882

Pikes 1889From Pikes Dover Blue Book 1889

Kelly's Directory 1899From the Kelly's Directory 1899

Dover ExpressFrom the Dover Express



If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-