DOVER KENT ARCHIVES

Sort file:- Walmer, December, 2018.

Page Updated:- Sunday, 23 December, 2018.

PUB LIST PUBLIC HOUSES Paul Skelton

Earliest 1797

King's Head

Latest 1837

(Name to)

Walmer Road

37 The Strand

Walmer

Former Queen's Head Hotel

Above picture taken from Google maps 2010.

 

Found in the Pigot's directory of 1840, alongside the "Kings Head," Deal and also "Kings Arms," Deal, so definitely another pub not to be confused with those others. Earliest known reference as the "King's Head" is documented in 1804 but the first licensee mentioned in 1797.

The pub was sold along with another 11 public houses in neighbouring villages in 1826 for the sum of 425. It is not yet known who sold the pub or who purchased it.

In 1837 the name changed to the "Queen's Head," while under the rule of Mary Ann Dawes, probably to commemorate Queen Victoria's ascension to the thrown on 20 June that same year.

 

From the Kentish Gazette, 7 June 1808.

Mr. Edward SMITH, Landlord, "King's Head" public house, Walmer, married 5 Jun to Miss GOODWIN.

 

Sussex Advertiser 20 February 1826.

At the sale of the public houses and other estates, situate in the eastern parts of the County of Kent, which took place at the "Bell Inn," Sandwich, on Monday last, Messrs. Pott and Denne knocked down the following lots, at the sums affixed to them, viz.:—

The "Bull," at Eastry, 1,190.

"Three Colts," Tilmanstone, 500.

"White Horse," Eythorne, 575.

"Red Lion," Frogham, 455.

"Rose and Crown," Womenswould, 166.

"Duke of Cumberland," Barham, 910.

"Charity," Woodnesborough, 710.

"Three Crowns," Goodnestone, 620.

"Admiral Harvey," Ramsgate, 1,150.

"Ship," Ramsgate, 1,250.

"Red Lion," St. Peters, 1,100.

"Crown and Thistle," St. Peters, 705.

"Crown, or Halfway-house," Sarr, 940.

"King's Head," Walmer Road, 425.

The "Duke of York," Walmer Road, 310.

The sale-room was most numerously attended.

We understand that the "Ship," at Ash, and "Crispin," at Worth, have since been sold by private contract, the former for 750, and the latter for five hundred guineas.

 

 

LICENSEE LIST

DAWES Richard 1776-1804 dec'd

CARTER Stephen 1797-99 The Old Pubs of Deal and Walmer by Glover and Rogers

SMITH Edward 1799-08+ The Old Pubs of Deal and Walmer by Glover and Rogers

DAWES William 1811-24 The Old Pubs of Deal and Walmer by Glover and Rogers

DAWES Ann Mary 1824-37 Next pub licensee had Pigot's Directory 1828-29Pigot's Directory 1832-34 (King's Head)

Name changed to "Queen's Head." DAWES to 47+ Pigot's Directory 1828-29Pigot's Directory 1832-34Pigot's Directory 1839Pigot's Directory 1840

 

Pigot's Directory 1828-29From the Pigot's Directory 1828-29

Pigot's Directory 1832-34From the Pigot's Directory 1832-33-34

Pigot's Directory 1839From the Pigot's Directory 1839

Pigot's Directory 1840From the Pigot's Directory 1840

 

If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-

TOP Valid CSS Valid XTHML