Page Updated:- Thursday, 28 September, 2023.


Earliest 1740-

White Horse

Latest 2000+



White Horse

Above photo kindly sent by Glenn Hatfield, showing the original "White Horse" date unknown.

White Horse White Horse

Above two pictures showing the Old "White Horse" date unknown.

White Horse sinkers 1906

Above photo believed to be the first group of sinkers for Tilmanstone Colliery circa 1906. Kindly submitted by Colin Varrall.

White Horse 1906

Above postcard, circa 1906, kindly sent by Rory Kehoe.

White Horse 1952

Above photo 1952. Creative Commons Licence.

White Horse darts match 1970s

Above photo believed to be taken after a darts match in the 1970s, kindly submitted by Colin Varrall.

White Horse ledger

Thompson & Son ledger. Creative Commons Licence.

White Horse, Eythorne
White Horse, Eythorne
White Horse sign

All above photographs by Paul Skelton 27 Oct 2007.

Former White Horse 2014

Above photo, May 2014, kindly sent by Erik Hartland.


Earliest reference found so far is in the Wingham Division Ale Licence list, which shows the "White Horse," Eythorne, to be re-licensed for the sum of 8 shillings in 1740 indicating that the pub was present before 1740.

It appears to have been tied to a brewery owned by the prominent Sandwich family, the Wyborns to 1822. In 1764 William Wyborn, brewer, died and his business was left to his daughter Mary, who had married John Bradley. Their son, William Wyborn Bradley was born in 1752 William being described as "common brewer of Sandwich." William was elected Mayor Sandwich in 1785 and died in 1788. The Sandwich brewery and its tied estate of 27 pubs was eventually put up for "sale by private contract" by William's son (also called William Wyborn Bradley, born 1779) as advertised in the Kentish Gazette on 10th May 1822.

The pub was sold again along with another 11 public houses in neighbouring villages in 1826 for the sum of 670 but it is not known from who or to whom.

Unfortunately now closed for a few years, this pub used to have a skittle alley in the back garden.

The brickwork, has over time, been scored with the initials of the locals and regulars.


Sussex Advertiser 20 February 1826.

At the sale of the public houses and other estates, situate in the eastern parts of the County of Kent, which took place at the "Bell Inn," Sandwich, on Monday last, Messrs. Pott and Denne knocked down the following lots, at the sums affixed to them, viz.:—

The "Bull," at Eastry, 1,190.

"Three Colts," Tilmanstone, 500.

"White Horse," Eythorne, 575.

"Red Lion," Frogham, 455.

"Rose and Crown," Womenswould, 166.

"Duke of Cumberland," Barham, 910.

"Charity," Woodnesborough, 710.

"Three Crowns," Goodnestone, 620.

"Admiral Harvey," Ramsgate, 1,150.

"Ship," Ramsgate, 1,250.

"Red Lion," St. Peters, 1,100.

"Crown and Thistle," St. Peters, 705.

"Crown, or Halfway-house," Sarr, 940.

"King's Head," Walmer Road, 425.

The "Duke of York," Walmer Road, 310.

The sale-room was most numerously attended.

We understand that the "Ship," at Ash, and "Crispin," at Worth, have since been sold by private contract, the former for 750, and the latter for five hundred guineas.


From the Kentish Chronicle, 14 April, 1860.


(Before Sir B. W. Bridges, Bart., M.P., and W. O. Hammond, and Geo. Hughes, Esqrs.)

Richard Hogben and George Bye were charged by John Parker with assaulting him at the "White Horse" public-house, Eythorne, on the 27th March. The prosecutor deposed that on the day in question he was in the tap-room at the "White Horse," when the two defendants came in. They commenced to jeer at and otherwise "aggravate" him. Next they took hold of him, tore his things on his back, and cut his jacket and trousers. They pulled him down, rolled him about on the floor, and both of them kicked him while on the floor.

The defendants called evidence to prove that complainant acted in a very "aggravating" manner towards them by drinking out of their glasses without being asked, on which they pushed him out of the room. In doing this they did not use more violence than was necessary.

The evidence being so conflicting the Bench dismissed the case.


From the Kentish Chronicle, 16 April, 1864.


William Graham and John Whaley were charged with being drunk and assaulting a police-constable. The testimony of Sergeant Pope went to show that on the night of the 25th March the defendants came out of the “White Horse” public-house at Eythorne, drunk, and commenced fighting; that on a police-constable interfering, one of the defendants struck him a blow on the face, and the other in the chest. For the offence of drunkenness each defendant was committed to gaol for seven days, and ordered to pay the costs, 8s. with the option of a further seven days imprisonment in default; and for the assault on the constable a penalty of 20s. and 10s. costs, or three weeks’ hard labour.

The money was not paid.


From the Dover Express and East Kent Intelligencer, 8 August, 1879. Price 1d.


Mr. Edward Bromley, of Eythorne, was summoned for not keeping a dog, of which he was the owner, under proper control.

Mr. Mowll, solicitor of Dover, appeared for the defendant.

It appeared that on the morning of the 31st July, the complainant (Henry Amos, a baker, also living at Eythorne), was at the "White Horse" public-house transacting business, having left his horse and cart outside, a dog, of which he was the owner, being underneath the cart. Soon after he heard his dog cry out, and on going to the door he saw defendant's dog holding his dog's hind leg in its mouth. With assistance he parted the animal, and his dog's leg was found to be broken.

Several witnesses were called, who gave evidence calculated to show that defendant's dog was a very savage animal, and the Bench informed Mr. Bromley that he must keep it so as not to be a nuisance, and directed him to pay the costs of the case, amounting to 21s.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday 16 January, 1885.


An inquest was held on Thursday week, at the “White Horse Inn,” Eythorne, by R. M. Mercer Esq., Coroner for East Kent, upon the body of William Sutton, aged 62, a labourer. Deceased, it appeared, died very suddenly. On Wednesday, at about noon, he sat down to his dinner with his wife as usual. He did not talk, and she asked him if he were unwell. He made no answer, and directly afterwards the knife and fork fell from his grasp. The wife ran out to get assistance from her neighbours, and Eliza Nash going in found Sutton sitting in his chair besides the fire quite dead. A post mortem examination was subsequently made by Mr. William Dixon, of Shepherdswell, who found that deceased died from an affection of the heart. The immediate cause of death was syncope from failure of the heart's action. A verdict of “Natural Death” was returned.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday 20 April, 1888.


The annual Sparrow Club dinner took place at the “White Horse Inn” on Saturday last, when about 35 sat down to a hot spread, provided by Host Chase. After the loyal toast had been drunk, “Success to the Eythorne Sparrow Club,” which was received with musical honours. Mr. William Gray was voted to the chair, and Mr. John Blewit to the vice-chair. The chairman spoke at some length of what good these clubs have done to farmers in regard to preserving the corn. The Eythorne members have brought in nearly 2000 during the season, which was received with cheers. The health of the chairman and vice-chairman was drunk and also the Host, who responded. After some capital singing, the evening was brought to a close.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday 1 January, 1897. Price 1d.


On Christmas Day a terrible horror was brought to light at Eythorne. A man named Thomas Williams, and a woman who lived with him were drinking at the “White Horse Inn” on Christmas Eve, and they quarrelled. They left to go to their cottage at Hickburn not far away, and from the fact of the groceries which the woman was carrying being strewn about the road, and there being certain marks of struggling it is supposed the quarrel was continued on the way home. At two o'clock the next morning the man called a next door neighbour stating that his wife was dead. It was found that she was lying in the house dead, cold, stripped of clothing and covered with bruises. The man's statement was that he had reached home first and that his wife came home later, wet, and fell in at the door injuring herself and that he had taken off her clothes because they were so wet. The man was arrested, and an inquest held before Mr. R. M. Mercer, County Coroner, in an oast-house at Thornton Cottages, in the parish of Eastry, on Tuesday. Mr. T. Crofts, foreman, when the following evidence was taken:-

Ann Taylor, of Hickham, said her husband was a labourer. She had known the deceased at Hickham, 18 months ago. She went by the name of Mrs. Williams, and the man Thomas Williams lived with her as her husband. She only knew her as a neighbour living opposite her, and they were quite strangers when they came to live at Hickham.

Charles Chase, landlord of the “White Horse,” Lower Eythorne, said: The deceased has been in my place several times during the last three months. On December 24 she came into my house about nine o'clock in the evening, and called for a glass of porter. I served her with it. She appeared to be perfectly sober. I did not see her again until closing time, ten o'clock. I saw her go out of the front door and she wished me “good night” and shook hands with me, and I closed the door after her. She appeared to be sober. The man Thomas Williams was standing close by her when I shut the door. I know him as he has been to my house occasionally, and had been there that evening. I believe he was quite sober when he left. I knew the deceased as Mrs. Williams.

Albert Percy Dawson, a labourer, living at Ashley, Northbourne, said: On Thursday night the 24th inst. I saw the man Williams with the deceased at the “White Horse.” I was there with a man named William Henry Chapman. I was there from 7.30 until 10 o'clock. Williams and the deceased came into the tap room together about eight o'clock and stayed there until ten o'clock. I was in their company and drank with them until half-past nine and then went into the bar, leaving them in the tap room. The woman afterwards came out and called for a quart of beer. She said “I want a quart of beer, and I am going to treat you chaps.” She was not drunk, but appeared to show signs of drink. Williams came out and speaking to her said “that is your place in there,” pointing to the tap room. Previously she had had three quarts of beer, and it was drunk by those in the tap room. I left at ten o'clock and had not seen the deceased after the above occurrence. On leaving the house I went across to Mr. Chase's stables opposite, and stood in the door way. Whilst there I saw the deceased come out of the house with Williams. Both went away along the road leading in this direction. It was dark and they passed out of my sight rather quickly. They were the only people who on leaving went in that direction. Chapman and myself slept in that stables that evening. On Christmas Day I left the stables with Chapman shortly before nine o'clock, and came up the road in this direction. When I saw the deceased In the Inn she had a parcel, and several smaller ones in the basket. She said she had got a respectable home now and she had bought the articles for Christmas. The road up which I came has a bank on either side of grass, and on one side it is about five feet high. We could see in one place a woman and a man's footmarks, and where they had fallen against the high bank. The grass on the bank was pressed down, and the footmarks were all mixed up together. They were fresh. The place was about three feet square. Besides it I picked up a pin case produced and an orange. There were also some currants lying in the road. It was about nine o'clock when we found these articles. It had been raining earlier in the morning. On Sunday the 27th I took Instructing Constable Wall to the spot and helped him to take measurements. On the footpath leading from the high road to these cottages we found some blue peas and more currants. There were also signs there on the grass of people having been stumbling about similar to the marks higher up the road. The footmarks were not so clear owing to it having been raining.

Henry Morgan, blacksmith, residing near the Church, said: My house is between the “White Horse” and Thornton Cottages. On the night of the 24th about ten o'clock I went outside on hearing a woman scream. Hearing nothing more I turned back to go in when I heard a man's voice say, I think it was “Come along home missus.” I went in and did not hear anything more.

William Court said: I am a labourer, living next door to the Williams at Thornton Cottages. I went in my house on the night of the 24th and 25th inst. I am married, and am also a little deaf. The Williams have been at the house about six weeks, and I have seen them frequently. About 3.30 on the morning of the 25th inst. I was in bed. Hearing a knock at the door and afterwards at the window I looked out. Williams was there fully dressed as he is now with his hat on. He said “Will you get up, my old woman has come home, she was very wet, and I think she has gone. I told him I would come down in a minute or two. I got up and dressed and went down. Williams was standing at my door, and said “Will you come in and see her.” I went in with him and in the front room on the ground floor I saw the deceased lying on her back, in front of the fire stark naked, with a sack thrown over her middle. I went to see and found that she was dead. Williams said “do you think she has gone.” I replied “Yes I do.” She appeared to be quite cold. There were no marks of bruising on her face, or about her at all.

The Coroner: Do you mean to say that? How is it that there are bruises there now? (Turning to the doctor): I suppose they are not post mortem?

The Doctor: Oh no!

Witness: I see the bruises now, they were not there then. We had a lamp for a light and Williams held it.

The Coroner: Did you notice the black eye?

Witness: No.

The Coroner: Do you know what a black eye is?

Witness: No sir. (Laughter). I did not see her lip cut, or the bruises over the left ear.

The Superintendent remarked that the witness had informed the Constable on Christmas day that he saw the bruises.

Police-constable James Hall, K.C.C., stationed at Tilmanstone said: On Xmas day about half-past five in the morning William came to my house. He told me that his wife had just died suddenly. He was a stranger to me, but telling me where he lived, I arranged to follow him when I had dressed. I got to his house about seven o'clock. I knocked at the door and Williams opened it. He took me into the front room and I found the deceased lying exactly as described by the last witness. I saw she had a black eye and other bruises, including a bad bruise near the temple, one on the left hip, and one or two on the breasts. I said “How do you account for this black eye?” he said, “I do not know, we were together at the “White Horse,” lower Eythorne last night, and came away from there at turn out time, ten o'clock. When we got outside the woman ran away from me, and she had not got these bruises or black eye then. I came home to my cottage at Thornton, and she came home somewhere between one and two o'clock. She came to the door, opened it, and fell in. She was wet through and very cold. She had got some of her clothing on her arm. I made a fire, undressed and tried to warm her, but she soon died.” I said to him, “Is she your wife.” He said, “No her name is Agnes Ann Thompson, and we have been living together about three years.” I asked him if she spoke after she came into the house. He said she did not, and he could make nothing of her. I did not arrest him. Williams was in a very excited state. There was nothing particular about his hands and his clothing appeared to be in order. I found the woman's clothing in the back kitchen. It was very dirty and much torn. The clothing was very old and tattered.

Instructing Constable Stephen Henry Wall, stationed at Eythorne, said: From instructions received I went to the last witness' house about half past four on Xmas afternoon, and saw the deceased lying in the same state as described by the other witness. The basket produced was on the table in the same condition as it now is. There were several parcels of grocery in it broken open, and in a dirty condition, and the basket was crushed in. The spot pointed out by the witness Dawson was 127 rods from where the blacksmith lives. There had been a good deal of rain when I made the measurement, and the footpath could not be seen, but the grass was still pressed down. There was another place with marks 124 rods away, and another on the pathway 106 rods distant. At the latter place a quantity of blue peas, similar to those in the basket, could be seen.

The witness Court, recalled, said he went to bed about eleven o'clock. He did not hear Williams or the woman come home.

The Superintendent of the Police said that enquiry had been made at the surrounding farm houses, and they had not heard anything.

Dr. A. A. McAnnily, of Eastry said that he made a post mortem examination of the deceased on Sunday morning. The body was that of a fairly well nourished female, about 30 years of age. There were certain marks of violence. There was extensive bruising over the left eye, and on the left side of the head above the ear. There were also bruises o her hip, extending five inches on the thigh, three bruises over the region of the liver, and one on the front of the neck, which did not appear to be so recent. On opening the body he found that there was a large blood clot under the bruise on the head, and also there was bruising to be detected, but no fracture of the scull. The right side of the heart was congested with a dark fluid, and the liver was also congested. The cause of death was due to the injury to the head, aggravated by the excessive fatigue he was informed she had undergone.

The Coroner: How do you think that this pressure on the brain caused by the blood clot was caused?

Witness: probably by direct violence or falling against something.

The witness continuing, said that by direct violence he meant such as the blow of a fist. The abrasion of the ear was probably caused by falling, and the laceration of the lips was probably caused by the tooth of the upper jaw biting down on it. The marks on the hip he thought were also caused by falling too. He did not think they were caused by a kick. The injury to the head was the real cause of death, and that might have been caused by falling over a door step on to the floor. There were no marks of blood or dirt in the wounds. He should think that the blow on the head stunned her directly.

The Coroner: Was she a woman such as a man could carry up to the house?

Witness: I should think so.

In reply to a question suggested by the Police, witness said there was a good deal of mud in the hair, matting it.

The Coroner then told Williams that he could make a statement on oath if he wished, and cautioned him that there was no necessity for him doing so, and everything said would be taken down in writing, and might be used as evidence against him. Williams said he should like to say all he knew.

Thomas Williams was then sworn and said: I am a labourer and live at Thornton Cottages, Eastry. The deceased was named Agnes Ann Thompson. I had been living with her for going on three years. She told me that her home was in Birkenhead. She said her age was 33. On the 24th we both left the “White Horse,” Eythorne, about closing time and walked together as far as the church at the corner. She made the remark, “You do walk slow, ducky,” and ran off. I did not see any more of her until between two and three the next morning, when I heard the noise of the door opening and as if she fell. I came down stairs and found her lying in front of the fire place on the floor. I found her clothes were wet and muddy and her little brown bodice was off and lying on the floor. I took all her clothes off her, and lit the fire and tried to warm her. I could make nothing of her and went and called my next door neighbour. He came, and said, “Yes, she is gone,” and put a little bottle of smelling stuff to her nose. I then went to Tilmanstone and informed the Police about it. The Policeman told me to go back home and he would come over shortly. He came over afterwards. That is all I can say about it.

A Juryman enquired if he could ask any questions.

The Coroner: No, not of this man; you can of any other witness.

The Coroner: Do you want an adjournment, Superintendent?

The Superintendent: No, Sir.

The Coroner: What was the charge at Sandwich?

The Superintendent: On suspicion with having caused the death of the woman. He was brought up on that charge yesterday and remanded in my custody until tomorrow at ten o'clock.

The Coroner remarked that the only reason for the adjournment was to see if publicity would bring anything to light.

The Coroner, to the doctor: Do you think it possible to say positively how the blow was caused?

The Doctor; No, certainly not.

The Coroner asked Williams if he wanted to make any additions to the statement he had made, about the peas and the marks in the road.

Williams said that he brought those things home; he never saw the woman after he left at the corner of the road at Eythorne.

The Coroner said that that had heard the evidence, and he was not going to repeat it, as it would be fresh in their minds. The man leaves with the woman the public house, both going from that place to the same destination. The man's story is, he went home alone, the woman followed and fell in at the door; he came down and found her in this state, undressed and tried to warm her, but found that nothing could be done. That is one side; the other is that when the doctor examined her, he found extensive bruising, and a bruise on the head which in the doctor's opinion caused death. But it must not be forgotten that the doctor was unable to say whether it was caused by a direct blow or a fall. That was an important thing in coming to a decision. There was just the fact, that the man who is in custody – although, of course, no one in his custody before a Coroner's Court – had not said a single word with reference to the state of the basket, or the currants and peas found along the road, whilst he admits having carried the parcel. The peas and currents were found at a place where one of the witnesses said he found the grass trampled down, and it was the extraordinary thing that if the man did carry the basket, that the ground should be stamped down, not only on the highway, but on the listway where he went along home, when he said that she had gone on ahead and he had not seen her until one or two in the morning. It seemed that it was possible that the woman might have been carried to the house by the man. These things certainly amounted to possibilities, and the great difficulty in their way was when the doctor said, “I cannot say how the bruises were caused, whether by the fist or a blunt instrument wielded by a man, or by a fall.” Their duty was, of course, not to act as a Court of trial, but as a Court of first instance and to place any person on whom they thought suspicion rested before a Jury to be tried. That was the beginning and end. They could not put a person on trial against whom there was such sufficient evidence that a Jury could convict, and it was for them to say whether they thought that this was a case of suspicion, and that the man ought to be placed on this trial for wilful murder. If, on the other hand, they did not think there was sufficient evidence, then he could only suggest that they should return an open verdict that the deceased came to her death from an injury to the brain caused by a blow, and that how and by what means the deceased came by that blow there was not sufficient evidence to show. It ought to be pointed out that the man came forward candidly to give the evidence. He had not permitted him to be cross-examined, because in such cases he never did. It was as easy for a question to be put, and for a man not sufficiently educated to be unable tom protect himself.

The cast house was then cleared, and the Jury, after a short deliberation, returned the following verdict: “That the deceased met her death from a blow, the manner of which it was caused there not being sufficient evidence to show.”


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday 22 January, 1897.


The Kent Assizes were opened at Maidstone yesterday by Justice Matthew. There were two cases from the neighbourhood of Dover – Thomas Williams on the charge of murdering his paramour at Thornton Cottages, near Eythorne, on December 25th, and a charge of arson against two labourers named John James Tyler and Edward John Constant, for feloniously setting fire to a stack of sanfoin on the grounds of Frederick Prebble and another at east Langdon. There was also another charge of murder from St. Lawrence, one of the Liberties of Dover, against Agnes A. Bowers in respect to her newly-born child on November 25th, 1896.


His Lordship, is charging the Grand Jury, of which Sir D. Solomon was foreman, remarked that, the calendar was in some respects an extremely heavy one, although there were only a few prisoners – eighteen or nineteen; but there were no less than three capital charges. There were two charges against men for murdering in each case the woman he lived with. The incidents were somewhat of the same character in each case. Referring to the case against Williams, of Eythorne, he remarked that there was a greater mystery than in the other case but he thought that from the evidence they might return a true bill. They left a public house together, and the next morning the body of the woman was found in the house where the man lived, dead, lying before a fire. The man's explanation was that after leaving the public house, the woman ran away, and came to the house in the early hours of the next morning, wet and cold. The man said he lit a fire and tried to restore her, but she never spoke again. Well, that might be, but the suggestion on the other hand was that he treated the woman with brutal violence. The statement of the man was that he knew nothing more about the woman after she left him. The injuries must, however have been done by some one. There was a witness who heard a scream and the voice of a woman. When the poor woman's body came to be examined, death was accounted for by the injuries, and under those circumstances it was their duty to return a true bill, and let the petty Jury investigate it. He also referred to the case against the woman Bowers, who was turned out of her house, and subsequently gave birth to a child, that was afterwards found killed. He also directed that a true bill be returned in this case.


The hearing of this case is fixed for the second to day, and will not be concluded before evening. There are five new witnesses to be called for the prosecution.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday 29 January, 1897.



At the Kent Assizes held at Maidstone on Saturday before Mr. Judge Mathew, Thomas Williams, 3rd, labourer, was inducted for the murder of Agnes Ann Thompson, at Eastry, on the 24th or 25th December, 1896. Mr. Stuart Sankey and Mr. Talbot appeared for the prosecution on behalf of the Crown, the prisoner was represented by Mr. Tawell.

Mr. Sankey having detailed at great length the evidence which would be called.

Albert Percy Dawson, a labourer, of Eythorne, stated that on Christmas Eve he was in the tap room of the “White Horse.” Williams and a woman were also there, and at 9 p.m. the latter left the room to order some beer. Prisoner followed her and ordered her back to the tap-room. At closing time they left the house together, and went in the direction of Thornton Cottages, where they lived together. They were about two miles from the “White Horse.” On the following day he had occasion to pass along the road by the cottages, and was accompanied by a man named Chapman. He notices signs of a struggle in the road, there being distinct traces of the presence of a man and woman there. The grass on the adjoining bank was beaten down, but the marks were obliterated by a recent fall of rain. He picked up some currents, an orange, and a pin case. On the evening of the 27th he accompanied a Constable to the road and pointed out the spot where he saw the marks, and on the evening of the 28th, he and the Police officer found some currants and peas near Thornton Cottage. There were no bruises on the woman's face when she left the “White Horse.”

Cross-examined: There was nothing in the conduct of the man and woman, whilst they were in the public house to indicate that they were on bad terms.

William Henry Chapman, a labourer, gave evidence of a similar character.

William Hall, a thresher, of Eythorne, detailed the action of the deceased woman and the prisoner in the “White Horse.” He left just before closing time, and they were apparently on good terms then.

Charles Chase, the landlord of the “White Horse” corroborated, and added that the prisoner and his companion were apparently sober when they left his house. Prisoner was then carrying a basket which was filled with grocery, &c. The woman had no bruises on her face at that time.

Walter Sutton Thorne, grocer and draper, of Eythorne, stated that the deceased came into his shop on Christmas Eve, when, in change, he gave her a box of peas, similar to the one produced.

William Webb, assistant to the last witness, said he served deceased on Christmas Eve with currants, blue peas, and several other articles, similar to those produced in the basket. Cross-examined – He had not seen deceased since her death, but knew her from the description which had since been given him.

Henry Morgan, a blacksmith, living at Church Hill Cottages, Eythorne, stated that about 10.15 on Christmas Eve he heard some person passing his house, and going in the direction of Thornton Cottages. He heard a male voice say “That's all right mussus.” Directly afterwards a woman screamed loudly. He went out into the road, but it was too dark for him to see anything. He heard a man's voice exclaim “Come along home missus,” but he could not say whether it was the same as the one he had first heard. Cross-examined – he was under the impression that there were three or four persons in the party, but could not say as he saw no one.

John Court, living next door to prisoner at Thornton Cottages, said on Christmas morning prisoner came to him at 3.30, and asked him to come downstairs as his “old woman had come in wet through, and he believed she was gone.” He went down and found prisoner standing at his door fully dressed, and with his hat on. He accompanied prisoner into the house, and saw deceased lying in front of the fire. She was quite naked, but had a sack thrown over her middle. She was dead and quite cold. He did not hear either of them come home on the previous night. Cross-examined – The fire was alight. He did not notice the man's clothes or see anything else which attracted his attentions.

P.C. Hall, stationed at Tilmanstone, near Eastry, said prisoner called him to the house about 5.30 on Xmas day. He saw deceased lying in front of the kitchen fire, perfectly nude, with an old sack thrown over her. He examined the body and formed the opinion that she had been dead some time. Her left eye was blackened, and there was a bruise on the temple and another on the left hip. He asked the prisoner how he accounted for her state, and he replied that after they left the “White Horse,” on the previous night, the woman ran away from him. He went home, and between one and two o'clock deceased came in. When he opened the door she fell in, and as she was very wet and cold, he got her into the room and made a fire. He then took off her clothes and tried to warm her. The bruises were not on her face when she left him. Some time after she came home she died. He added that deceased was not his wife, but that they had lived together about three years. Cross-examined – The statement of prisoner was quite voluntary. He felt the clothes which he found lying near the body. They were very tatty and torn, and extremely wet. The cottage was very poorly furnished, there being nothing in it except two or three dilapidated chairs, an old table, and a heap of straw.

P.C. Wall, who also went to the cottage, corroborated the evidence of the last witness as to the condition of the deceased. He saw a basket standing on the kitchen table which had a number of articles of grocery in it, all of which were very dirty. Prisoner said he could not account for the state of the basket, which he himself carried home. On the following day he examined the road, in company with Dawson, who pointed out the spot where he had seen marks of a struggle. Nothing was visible then, butt he weather between Christmas and Boxing Day had been wet. From this spot to the cottage was a distance of 200 yards. On the 27th he went to the List Road, a private road leading from the main thoroughfare to the cottage inhabited by prisoner, and there he found a quantity of peas and sultanas. Both the roads were used frequently, but not much at night time.

Supt. Chaney of the Sandwich Division, said he went to Thornton Cottages, on the 26th December, and saw the deceased lying there as described by previous witnesses. He found several bruises, and then sent for a medical man, who examined the body in the presence of witness and the prisoner. The doctor stated, at the conclusion of the examination, that he thought the deceased had met her death by violence. Accused made no reply. Witness then charged him on suspicion of murder of deceased. To this he replied, “I am innocent. I know nothing about it. She left me at the corner of Eythorne Church and ran away. I did not see her again till between two or three in the morning, when she came home to the house. I came down stairs and found her in the room very wet and dirty, I lit a fire and undressed her, and I found she was dead. I then called my next door neighbour up. I brought everything home (including the grocery). She had nothing, nor any bruises.” Prisoner was then arrested. On the 27th, in the cells, prisoner said he did not desire to call any witnesses. He saw no one after he left the public house till he reached his cottage. He added that when deceased left him she ran towards her home. Cross-examined – prisoner bore a very good character. He had been in the Royal West Surrey Regiment for seven years and a few days, and was discharged with a good record. Prisoner was born at Hearn Bay, and was an inmate of the Blas Union until he was sixteen years of age.

Dr. McAnnally gave details as to the examination of the deceased's injuries and the subsequent post mortem. Death was due to concussion of the brain, following shock consequently on the injuries described, the clot of blood being especially indicative of serious injury to the brain. The injuries were either occasioned by a fall or blows either would account for the whole of the injuries. Deceased was a woman of slight build standing about 4ft 10in. he was of opinion that unconsciousness would follow immediately after the infliction of the injury over the eye. Deceased might have recovered consciousness, and would then possibly have been able to walk some distance.

Cross-examined: Deceased might have walked home from such a distance as this where the alleged struggle took place, and then have died on lying down.

By a Juror: If the woman died at 2 o'clock, it would be impossible for the body to be cold by half-past three. He should think it would take 24 hours for the body to get perfectly cold.

This closed the evidence for the prosecution, and Mr. Southey, in summing up the statement of the witnesses, considered that the evidence pointed conclusively to the fact that the prisoner knocked the woman down, and afterwards, by some means, got her home, and then did not seek help until her life had flown.

In an able address for the defence, Mr. Tapsell pointed out that the evidence against the prisoner was purely circumstantial, and in no particular was anything which would conclusively convince him with the information of the injuries from which the woman apparently died. They left the “White Horse” on amiable terms. The witness Morgan detailed the hearing of a voice calling on a woman to “come along” home, but added that the voice was strange to him and that there were probably three or four persons together at the time. The evidence as to the struggle along the road was very unreliable. One square foot of grass flattened down on a bank and a few footmarks in the roadway were held to be evidence of a “sharp struggle,” but no cast of the footprints was produced, in order to connect the prisoner with the spot. The doctor's testimony was conclusive in favour of prisoner's innocence, as he had firmly stated that all the injuries might have been caused by a fall.

In his summing up, the learned Judge paid a high tribute to the manner in which Mr. Tassell had, on his request, calculated the case to the defence. There was not a single topic in his speech which was not deserving of their considerations. His lordship then dealt with particular emphasis on the fact that there was not a single item of evidence which pointed to a motive for the crime. It had been alleged that prisoner was jealous of the woman, but nothing was adduced in support of this allegation. He laid particular stress on the fact that prisoner remained on the spot, and even invited the Police to his cottage. Considering these points, he ruled that the evidence was not sufficiently strong to warrant the Jury finding the prisoner guilty of the capital charge. As to the second count, that of manslaughter, he pointed out that the evidence was more conclusive. The prisoner himself stated that he carried home the basket, and several articles, which were picked up by two of the witnesses, corresponded with the goods bought by deceased. The witnesses in question also gave evidence as to the marks of a struggle in the road, which proved that a man and woman had been together there, and that a heavy body had pressed down the grass on the bank. He thought the evidence pointed to the deceased having been knocked down, because she was admittedly sober, and there was nothing to cause her to fall.

The Jury returned a verdict of “Not Guilty,” as both doubts, and prisoner was accordingly discharged.


From the last will and testament of Henry Edward Davies, 5 May 1914.

This is the last will and testament of Henry Edward Davies of the "White Horse Inn," Eythorne, near Dover, in the county of Kent, licenced victualler.

I direct all my joint debts, funeral and testamentary expenses to be paid and fully satisfied as soon after my death as conveniently manageable and subject thereto I give divine and legislate all my state and effects of everything whatsoever on to my wife Sarah Elizabeth Young Davies, for her own use and benefit absolutely, whom I appoint sole executrix of this, my will and hereby revoking and making void all former and other wills by me at any time heretofore made legally declare this to be my last will and testament in witness whereof the total on have testament set my my hands this 5th day of May 1914.  Signed by the above named Henry Edward Davis as his last will in the presence of witnesses being present at the same time, who to in his presence and in the presence of each other have hereunto satisfied our names to witness.

George Dye,

Sydenham Payne, solicitor.

14 Branch Street, Dover.

Henry Edward Davis


On the 29th day of June 1918 probate of this will was granted at Canterbury to Sarah Elizabeth Young Davies widow the sole execututrix.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, 15 January 1954.

West Street Hunt 1954


What better meeting place for the West Street Hunt, under their Master, Mr. A. J. Stevens, on his white horse, than the "White Horse" Inn, at Eythorne? A large field of riders, on Tuesday, enjoyed a good day's sport.


From an email received 5 December, 2011.

Dear Sirs,

Regarding the "White Horse Inn" at Eythorne I have some information to add regarding my family occupation of the pub in the 1950s.

My father William Frederick Lloyd moved together with his wife Lillian Lloyd and myself Alan Lloyd from the "Prince of Denmark" in Junction Road Islington London in 1950 approx., to the "White Horse" and was the licensee until approx 1957. He then took the licence of "The Holly Tree" pub in Hither Green, London, until he died in approx 1961. My mother survived until her death on the Isle of Wight approx 8 years ago.

My father and mother are in the picture of the hunt featured in your website. He is in amongst the hounds with a dark suit and my mother is wearing a light raincoat next to the convertible Austin Cambridge.

I remember him offering Mr Stevens the traditional stirrup cup on that day.

I was age 17 and worked for the firm of accountants Clemetson Stanford of Dover and was a friend of Stan Wells the well known reporter and later editor of the Dover Express. We sometimes toured other villages challenging the customers to a darts match. (no problems with drinking and driving then.)

Many of our customers were workers, invalids or recovering injured from Timanstone Colliery. Although well paid the miners were always in danger of injury or lung damage. Many families originated in the North and brought their love of whippets, pigeons and dominoes with them. A favourite joke was to play blind dominoes. This involved playing the dominoes face down without seeing the spots and usually started when a stranger was in the bar and ended with a free drink. (The secret was signalling with the feet under the table while keeping straight faces.) Traditional food from the bar involved cheese and pickle, pickled eggs and pigs trotters, (the trotters made an awful mess.)

I left Eythorne for my National Service mainly spent as a radar operator on the Isle of Wight where we sometimes launched fighter planes from mainland airports to intercept possible bomber threats from Russia. The cold war was well entrenched at that time.

Since then I have spent 55 years here on the island and have owned hotels, worked as an estate agent and finally managing director of a travel company featuring remote and exotic destinations ('Regent Holidays' now based in Bristol).

Currently I live on the seafront at Sandown but spend half my time in Southern Spain.

Best regards,

Alan Lloyd.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News. 26 April, 1963.

Seventy Years Young.

Albert Friend 1963

Meet a sprightly 70-year-old who spends his working day humping hundredweight sacks of coal around because he reckons it keeps him young.

Pictured taking his daily "pinta" at the "White Horse," Eythorne, the other day is Mr. Albert Friend, the Shepherdswell coal merchant, who has been delivering coal in the district for almost 45 years.

Known affectionately as "Tar," Albert founded his business after the first world war, with a horse and cart.

During his years "Tar" has also dabbled in other enterprises.

Between the wars he ran a scavenging business and built an incinerator at Tye Wood, just outside Elvington, which locals still call "Friendies Tip."

"The Council stopped it being used in 1936 because they thought it was out of date or something, but I think my old furnace could still  solve a lot of our refuse problems," he says.

And how's this as a proud boast! "Tar" says he still gets up at 5.30 every morning and - Sundays as well - can still keep up with his sons when it comes to humping sacks.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News. 7 June, 1963.

Licensee Leaving.

After four years and two months, in what he calls, "one of the nicest little villages in the whole of Kent," 50 year old Mr. Reg Biggs, popular licensee of the "White Horse" public house, isleaving.

With his wife and 12-year-old daughter, Gillian, he moved to Eythorne from London, where he was employed as a maintenance engineer in a factory which produced scientific instruments.

The Brewery have named Mr. John Hibbitt, formerly of Hastings, as Mr. Biggs successor, but his appointment is subject to the Justices Approval. If all goes well he will take over at the end o the month.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News. 22 January, 1971.


White Horse licensee 1971

Mine hosts at the "White Horse," Eythorne, Mrs. Patricia Chandler, son Roger and landlord Mr. Valentine Chandler.

Though wellknown in Aylesham and Sandwich - and born and bred in Littlestone - Mr. Valentine Chandler had never been to Eythorne before he took over as landlord at the "White Horse." All the more odd because his brother works at Tilmanstone Colliery, less than a mile down the road.

It was a long while since Eythorne had a gardening society for the soil does not encourage exhibition growers.

But if anyone can coax blooms out of the garden at the "White Horse" it will be Val who has taken the sweet-pea cup at Aylesham for the last three years and also the Astor cup at Sandwich three times in a row.

A man who likes getting on with things, even he was surprised when he was offered a pub only a fortnight after lodging his credentials with the brewers. He is at present a site agent with a commercial company working on the A2 improvements.

It will be a truly family venture. One of the keenest on a pub idea is Val's 21-year-ols son Roger.


Licensee and Daughter

Licensee and daughter, date unknown. Kindly sent by Colin Varrall.

White Horse licensee

Above photo showing the licensee, name and date as yet unknown. Kindly submitted by Colin Varall.


Latest news heard January 2015, a planning application has been submitted for a change of use to a bed and breakfast and restaurant.


From the Dover Express, 8 January 2015.

B&B planned for old pub.

RIPPLE: The former White Horse public house at Eythorne, converted into residential accommodation, is likely to be . welcoming guests again, but as a bistro-style cafe-restaurant, not a pub.

Chef Mark Stallard, of Beach Street, Deal, plans to convert the five-bedroom property, in Church Hill, into a bed and breakfast guest house, using only three of the bedrooms for guests.

He wants to retain one of the others for himself.

In addition, his plans include a licensed restaurant with ten tables offering breakfast, lunches and dinners.

The property, according to his planning application belonging to Susan Burrow, of Deal, has been empty since December.


The area of land that used to be the skittle alley and also car park, I am informed has been retained by the former owners Admiral Taverns, and although the current owners put in a bid for the land for their own garden and kept it nice for a few years, their offer was refused. The area is now overgrown and Admiral Taverns seem to have lost interest in any development or passing it over to the current occupants.



HUDSON Henry 1740+ Wingham Ale Licences 1740

HOGBEN William 1841-47+ Bagshaw's Directory 1847 (also farmer age 50 in 1841Census)

HOGBEN Richard Next pub licensee had 1851-58+ (age 26 in 1851Census)

HIGGENS Joseph 1859+

PARKER John 1860+

NORRIS Edmund 1866-74+ Post Office Directory 1874

CHASE Charles 1878-Nov/1910 (age 34 in 1881Census) Post Office Directory 1882Kelly's 1899Post Office Directory 1903Kelly's 1903Dover Express

GEORGE Thomas S Nov/1910-11+ (age 30 in 1911Census) Dover Express

Last pub licensee had DAVIES Henry Edward 1913-July/18 dec'd Post Office Directory 1913Post Office Directory 1914

DAVIES Sarah Elizabeth Young (widow) July/1918+ Dover Express

PRITCHARD Emily Louisa to Jan/1921 Dover Express

HARRISON William Jan/1921+ Dover Express

DAVIES Sarah Mrs 1930-38+ Kelly's 1934

PARKER Archibald to Sept/1940 Dover Express

BRAILSFORD Mr C Sept/1940-Oct/40 Dover Express

TERRY Mrs E J Oct/1940 Dover Express

Last pub licensee had GINN Mr G R Oct/1940-May/43 Dover Express

PLUMMER Arthur J May/1943+ Dover Express

TALMAGE Gerald T to Sept/1950 Dover Express

PAYNE George H 13/July/1950-53+ Dover Express

LLOYD William Frederick 1953-55

LEVER W G 1955-57


BIGGS Mr Reg Apr/1959-Jun/1963 Dover Express

HIBBITT Mr John Jul/1963-Oct/66 Dover Express

BULLEY E H Oct/1966+

CHANDLER Valentine 1971+ Dover Express

JONES Arthur 1974+ Library archives 1974 Charrington & Co


The Dover Express reported that T S George was formally a farmer from near Faversham.


Wingham Ale Licences 1740From Wingham Division Ale Licences 1740 Ref: KAO - QRLV 3/1

Bagshaw's Directory 1847From Bagshaw Directory 1847

Post Office Directory 1874From the Post Office Directory 1874

Post Office Directory 1882From the Post Office Directory 1882

Kelly's 1899From the Kelly's Directory 1899

Post Office Directory 1903From the Post Office Directory 1901

Kelly's 1903From the Kelly's Directory 1903

Post Office Directory 1913From the Post Office Directory 1913

Post Office Directory 1914From the Post Office Directory 1914

Kelly's 1934From the Kelly's Directory 1934

Library archives 1974Library archives 1974

Dover ExpressFrom the Dover Express


If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-