Page Updated Adisham:- Tuesday, 19 April, 2022.


Earliest 1740-

Bull's Head

Closed 2009-

The Street


Bull's Head 1919

Above postcard, 1919. Kindly sent by Rory Kehoe.

Bull's Head 1929

Above photo, 1929. Kindly sent by Rory Kehoe.

Bull's Head 1960

Above photo 25 August 1960, kindly sent by Clive Bowley.

Bull's Head 1960

Above photo 25 August 1960, kindly sent by Clive Bowley.

Bulls Head, Adisham

Photograph by Stephan McKay.

Bull's Head sign 1960

Above sign 1960, kindly sent by Clive Bowley.

Bulls Head 1991Bulls Head 1996

Left July 1991                      Right July 1996

Above with thanks from Brian Curtis

Bull's Head card 1951

Above aluminium card issued June 1951. Sign series 3 number 8.


Earliest reference found so far is in the Wingham Division Ale Licence list, which shows the "Bull's Head," Adisham, to be re-licensed for the sum of 8 shillings in 1740 indicating that the pub was present before 1740.


From the Kentish Gazette, 21 July 1840.


June 29, at Adisham aged 55, Judith Ann, wife of Mr. Thomas Folwell, of the "Bull's head;" also at the same place, July 9, Maria Sarah, wife of Mr. George Crux, mariner, sister of the above.


From the Kentish Gazette, 18 July 1843.


July 13, at Adisham, much respected, Mr. Thomas Court, aged 84, formerly or the "Bull's Head" public house.


From the Kentish Chronicle, 21 January, 1860.


An inquest was held on Monday, before Charles James Fox, Esq,. deputy coroner for the county, at the "Bull's Head Inn," Adisham, on the body of J. Norris, a labourer on the works of the London, Chatham, and Dover Railway. From the evidence of his fellow labourers, it appeared that on Saturday last the deceased was in charge or some full trucks at a cutting near Adisham, and was in readiness to unhook the horse from the foremost truck, when the horse stumbled and fell, knocking the deceased on to the rails, and before be could recover himself the corner of the truck struck and smashed his head so severely as to cause instantaneous death.

Verdict, "Accidental Death."


Maidstone Telegraph, Rochester and Chatham Gazette, Saturday 15 December 1860.

Adisham Suicide.

The deputy coroner, C. J. Fox, Esq., held an inquest at the "Bulls Head Inn," in this parish, on Tuesday last, touching the death of a labouring man named John Keeler, who was found suspended from a tree on the previous morning.

Sarah Ann Rye, a widow, deposed that the deceased resided at her house. At about half past 5 o'clock on Monday morning he left home as usual, to go to his work, at Mr. Clark's farm, apparently in his usual spirits. In consequence of receiving a message from Mr. Clark that the deceased had not been to work, at about 7 o'clock, witness went towards the farm, and on her way there she saw the deceased hanging from an oak tree. She immediately gave an alarm. The deceased was about to be married to witness, and notice of the same had been given. The deceased was of a reserved disposition. There had been no quarrel or misunderstanding between them, and witness could give no reason why he had committed suicide. She had six children living by her former husband, the deceased's wages were, she believed, 14s. per week.

Thomas Young, parish constable, proved that he found the deceased quite dead, and assisted to cut the body down. He had known him since he was a boy, and he was a very quiet, inoffensive person. Witness knew nothing that would lead the deceased to destroy himself.

William Castle, brother-in-law to the deceased, stated that he (deceased) had been very low spirited since Michaelmas last, and had often remarked that he did not think he could maintain Mrs. Rye and her large family, if he married her. Witness believed it was on that account that the deceased committed suicide.

Verdict "Temporary insanity."


From the Kentish Chronicle and General Advertiser, 2 November, 1861. Price 1 1/2d.


An inquest was held at the “Bull Inn,” on Wednesday, by T. T. Delasaux, Esq., on the body of a railway labourer Named John Coley, who was accidentally killed on the previous afternoon, having been run over by the up train which leaved Dover at a quarter past four.

Mr. Clarke appeared to watch the proceedings on behalf of the company, and Messrs. Hall and McDonald on the part of the contractors.

Two Jurors named John Baker and Robert Brenchley were fined for not attending, after having received the usual notice.

The following evidence was taken:—

George Birch:— I live at Canterbury, and am a labour. Yesterday I was at work on the London, and Chatham, and Dover Railway, as was also the deceased. He was crossing the line with a wheelbarrow, in the parish of Adisham. I took the barrow from his back, and he then turned and said “Well, mate, here comes the quarter past four train,” and almost immediately I looked round and saw him on the up line, just in front of the engine, which was attached to the train just spoken of, and which was approaching him. I called out to him, but he was struck by the engine and thereby killed. I believe that the deceased had been employed on the line two or three months. I am satisfied that no blame can be attached to any person, nor can I account for the deceased being on the line. I am clearly of opinion that his death was purely accidental.

Alfred Goulden, station-master at Adisham:— Yesterday the deceased and other persons were at work on the London, Chatham, and Dover Railway. About twenty-six minutes past four o'clock in the afternoon I was on the platform, and saw the express train approaching the station from Dover, and as soon as it had past the said station I heard a danger whistle from the engine of the said train, and on looking forward I saw the deceased lying on the Dover line, and blood flowing from his mouth. He immediately died from the injuries he had received.

The jury returned a verdict of “Accidental Death.”


From the Maidstone Telegraph, Rochester and Chatham Gazette, 9 November 1861.

Adisham. Fatal Accident.

On Wednesday last, Mr. T. T. Delasaux, county coroner, held an inquest at the "Bull's Head Inn," on the body of John Coley, labourer on the London, Chatham, and Dover Railway.

George birch, labourer, said that on Tuesday he was at work with the deceased on the railway near to the Adisham station, on the Canterbury side. The deceased crossed the line with a wheelbarrow, when witnessed took it from him. The deceased then said, Well, mate, the 4:15 train has arrived. Immediately afterwards witness looked round and saw deceased on the up line just in front of the engine that was approaching. Witness called out to him, but the engine struck the deceased immediately, flinging him about 30 yards onto the down line, and he died a few minutes afterwards. The deceased had been in the employ of the company for the last two or three months. There could be no blame attached to any person, and it was witnesses belief that the deceased was killed accidentally. The station master at Adisham said deceased and other persons were working on the line, and at a little after 4 o'clock on Tuesday afternoon, witness was on the platform and saw the express train approaching from Dover. As soon as it had reached the station witness heard the danger whistle proceeding from the engine, and on witness looking towards the engine, he saw the deceased lying on the downline and blood flowing from his mouth. He died almost immediately from the injuries he had received from being knocked down. Verdict, "Accidental Death." The coroner had occasion to fine two of the jury, John Baker and Robert Brenchley, 5s. each for non attendance at the inquest, in pursuance of the notice given them.


From the Kentish Chronicle, 2 July, 1864.

Alexander McCluskey, 26, marine, was charged with unlawfully and maliciously wounding John Scott, and doing grievous bodily harm to him, at Adisham, on the 4th April, 1864. The prosecutor and prisoner lodged together at the “Bull Inn,” at Adisham, and the prisoner on the morning of the day named in the incident alleged that he had lost a sovereign from the bed room, and asked the prosecutor if he had taken it in a joke, prosecutor assured him he had not, with which statement he appealed satisfied; but in the evening, after they had been drinking together in the tap-room, the prisoner rushed upon the prosecutor and stabbed him in several places on his head and upper part of his person. The landlady, Mrs. Russell, run to the assistance of the wounded man, and wrenched a knife from the hands of the prisoner, who was given in charge of the police constable, and the prosecutor was conveyed to the Kent and Canterbury Hospital; the surgeon of which establishment gave evidence as to the nature of the wound inflicted, which though of a severe character were not dangerously so. Buss, the policeman, who took the prisoner in charge, stated that when he apprehended him, the prisoner admitted that he had committed the offence, and added “God only knows what made me do it.”' When called on for his defence he said be was very sorry for that which he had done. He said he had been drinking to excess for some days previous, and did not know what he was about; he had no more to say in his defence, and threw himself on the mercy of the Court. After some suitable remarks on the enormity of the offence he had been found guilty of, he was sentenced to twelve months’ imprisonment at St. Augustine’s.


From the Whitstable Times and Herne Bay Herald. 17 August 1867. Price 1d.


At the County Magistrates Office, Canterbury, on Saturday, a youth named Thomas Pegden was charged with assaulting Henry Reynolds. Complainant stated that a short time previously he left the "Bull" at Adisham, where he had been drinking in the same room as defendant. Several companions of the lad were "hustling" about outside the inn, and witness turned round to look at them. Pegden came up, and without any provocation struck him a blow on the face. Defendant then said to witness, "You gave me a horsewhipping once, and I promised myself to give you a thrashing when I became man enough." He accordingly "pitched into witness" again, blacked his eyes, and caused blood to flow freely from his nose and mouth. Defendant's father, who was in court, said it was true Reynolds had some time since horsewhipped his son most unmercifully, and the latter had ever since “bosomed" a desire to give him a “hiding.” He (the father) knew it was wrong, but could not control the actions of the boy. The Bench ordered the defendant to pay a fine of 20s. and costs. The father paid the money.

Pegden was then charged with assaulting a fellow labourer named Allen. The Bench asked Allen if he wished to press the charge. Complainant answered: “It 'twas fair I wouldn't mind; but he laid up in a churchyard for me, and I don't see that I should be "bat" about for nothing." The case was accordingly proceeded with, and the facts showed that, after assaulting Reynolds, Pegden waylaid Allen, with whom he did not appear to have had any quarrel, and when he was passing the churchyard on his way home he knocked him about to such an extent that complainant had been unable to work since (a week had elapsed). The chairman here asked the policeman who had charge of the case what character the accused bore. The constable said that he had been convicted of stabbing, and had suffered imprisonment. His pugilistic liking made him "the terror of the neighbourhood.” He was sentenced to two months' hard labour at St. Augustine's, and ordered to pay the costs, or suffer a further incarceration of seven days. The father (an old man) paid the costs.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday 6 May, 1881. 1d.



At these sessions, J. Henderson, Esq., presiding, Henry Bushell, inkeeper of Adisham, was fined 5 and costs for allowing horses to be worked in an unfit state, and George Adams and Frederick Penfold, in the defendant's employ, were fined 1 each and costs for the same offence.


From the Whitstable Times and Herne Bay Herald. 14 July 1894. Price 1d.


Mr. Martyn Mowll appeared for the plaintiff, who keeps the “Bulls Head” at Adisham.

Mr. H. Broughton defended.

This was a claim for 3 17s. for keep of two horses.

There was a counter claim for 33 for loss of a horse and depreciation in value of a pony.

William George Deverson deposed that he hired with the “Bull Inn” a pasture field of nearly 12 acres. He saw an advertisement about Michaelmas for keep, and he subsequently took two horses in to keep. The pony was in good condition, but the horse, which was a “caste one,” was worn out. He kept the two animals in the field during the day and in the yard at night. When his bill came to 3 he sent it in, but got no reply. He than wrote to ask the defendant to take them away, which be ultimately did one Sunday without witness's knowledge. When witness saw defendant he offered to sell the horse for 15s., which witness said he would have and he could take it off the account. Defendant did not agree to that.

James Husk, waggoner to the last witness, George Phillips, and two others corroborated.

Defendant said he advertised for keep, and when he sent the horse it was in good condition, he thought it was worth 15. The cob was fat and he was offered 22 for it, but would not sell it. When he went to take them away he hardly knew the horse, and the cob was not quite so bad. Going along the road the horse fell down, they got it up. He subsequently had to have the horse killed, and the cob had to be doctored.

William Castle, - Stratford, S. E. Smith, F. Farley, F. Spain, and W. Pierce all gave evidence as to the bad condition of the horses.

His Honour gave judgment for plaintiff for his claim and the counterclaim.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 8 November, 1929.


Plans for alterations to the public bar of the "Bull's Head," Adisham, were submitted by the Architect for the Brewers, who said the alterations would make the premises more light and airy. They were putting in more windows and making an open central servery.

The plans were approved.


Dover Express 22nd August 1941. Wingham Petty Sessions 21st August 1941.


Patrick Burkett of Adisham was summoned for assaulting Joseph Thomas Davies on July 30th and for using obscene language on the highway. He pleaded guilty to both offences.

Davies gave evidence that he helped the landlord at the “Moor’s Head” and, on July 30th, at closing time, he asked defendant to leave, but defendant refused and used bad language. Defendant eventually left and, when they got outside, punched witness twice in the chest and knocked him down.

P.C. Wissenden said that, at 10.25 p.m. on 30th July, he heard defendant using obscene language and a woman opened her window and complained of it. Defendant had had some drink, but was not drunk.

Defendant said that he was drunk and was very sorry it happened.

Fined 1 for assault and 1 for using obscene language and ordered to pay 16s costs.


Dover Express 29th August 1941.

In the report of Wingham Petty Sessions last week, the public house referred to in the Adisham assault summons was incorrectly given. It should have been the “Bull’s Head”.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, 19 September, 1947.


The Deputy Coroner for East Kent (Mr. Wilfred Mowll), conducted an inquest at the "Bull’s Head," Adisham, on Monday, on Henry Edward Pooley, aged 58 years, the licensee there for about seven years, who fell down the cellar steps on Saturday night and died within a few minutes.

Edward Henry Pooley, a coach builder said he resided at the "Bull's Head" with his father (the deceased) and on Saturday, he spent almost the whole evening in his company. His father was a rather heavily built man and enjoyed good health. He looked after his own cellar. On Saturday evening his father had only one or two halfpints of beer and was all right. After "time" had been called at 10.30 p.m., witness went into the dining room with his brother-in-law, Mr. Leonard G. E. Butler, and sister. Shortly alter there was a crash in the cellar, and they found deceased lying in a pool of blood at the foot of the cellar steps. The cellar light was on, and also at the foot of the steps was a bucket lying on its side and a broken glass, which, he imagined, his father had carried down with him. He was bleeding from the head and nose, and appeared to be unconscious. He made his father comfortable and telephoned the doctor. The cellar steps were steep, but strong, and had a handrail either side. Witness said his father had a fit last January and was attended by Dr. Mercer. He had not complained since, but spent one day in bed last week as he was a little feverish. His father often went down the cellar with his hands full, and without using the handrail. No one was in the bar when deceased fell.

Dr. Roger D. Hunter, of Bridge, said that when he arrived at the "Bull's Head," at 10.45 pm. on Saturday. Pooley was at the bottom of the steps dead. There was profuse haemorrhage from the mouth and nose and a very extensive depressed fracture or the frontal area of the skull. The injuries included fractures of the vault and base of the skull and were consistent with deceased having fallen down the steps face forward. Death was due to laceration of the brain and haemorrhage, resulting from the fractures. Earlier this year, deceased had seen Dr. Mercer, witness’s partner, and complained of dizziness and "blackout," which was attributed to a fit. Pooley made a fairly rapid recovery. On Saturday, he might have had a blackout or slipped.

The Coroner, recording a verdict of death by misadventure, said it was probable deceased had a blackout similar to that suffered earlier.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 5 March, 1965.


Bull's head, Adisham pile of pennies, 1965

Miss Valerie Atkins, Folkestone's beauty queen last Saturday pushes over the pile of pennies collected for cancer research at the "Bull's Head," Adisham.

Valerie (20), a chemist's assistant, collected a handsome addition to the funds from the customers at a shilling a time to guess the pile's total before toppling it.

She also made he draw for a highly successful fund-raising raffle and Mr. Ted Savage, the British Empire Cancer Research Campaign's local chairman was very well satisfied with the 20 he was able to take home.

The pile of pennies is only one of the things that ex-Folkestone policeman, Water May, has started in Adisham since he took over that pub in 1963. A youth club and a club for the over-sixties also owe their existence to him.


From the Dover Express, 9 October, 1970.


Bull's head landlord, 1970

Above photo shows Mr. and Mrs. John Southey and daughter Anetta settling in to their new life at the "Bull's head," Adisham.


New landlord of the "Bull's Head," Adisham is a former publicity officer for Dover, 47 year-old Mr. John Southey.

Mr. Southey, his wife and daughter Anetta, have moved from their Lydden home to the village pub, and they were behind the bar for the first time this week.

Mr. Southey resigned as publicity officer two months ago because he said he was being treated like an office boy. This followed his removal from his own entertainments and publicity office at the Town Hall, to the Town Clerk's department, at New Bridge House.

He had played an active part in the promotion of East Kent as a short term holiday centre for French and Belgian visitors.

At present Dover is without an officer with direct responsibilities for entertainments and publicity.


Band Suspect 1998

Above photo 1 November 1998, showing the band "Suspect" kindly taken and sent by Dougie Moon who was the drummer.

Band Suspect 1998

Above photo 1 November 1998, showing the band "Suspect" kindly taken and sent by Dougie Moon who was the drummer, second from left.


Unfortunately another one closed. (Information gained 2009).


Information taken from 20 December 2013

IDM have been running the planning application for the conversion of this derelict pub on behalf of a client.

Bulls Head

After the pub closed down the local residents put up fierce objections to losing the community use on the site, IDM initial application to convert the existing building and add new buildings to produce 4 houses was turned down. IDM have since negotiated with the local council and residents, and have produced a scheme that will produce 2 new houses on the site and new flat in the existing building and also a community shop for the local residents to use.

The Bulls Head planning application was approved in August 2011 and sold on with the benefit of the consent.

Bull's head and CGI graphics

Above CGI picture showing the proposed building.


From an email received 8 August 2014.


I am writing to let you know that my Dad and Mum had the licence for the "Bulls Head" from 1960 to 1963. There names were Percy (Pat) and Joan Morris. I was just a small child and attended the village school. My teachers were Mrs Shaw and Miss Fox.

Dad had great success in getting mystery bus tours to stop at the "Bull" and he caused something of a stir when one Saturday night he had six buses lined up outside, this probably doesn't sound too exciting but in those days there were only two buses a week, one on Wednesday and one on Saturday. I loved my time in the village but we left there to go to Hertfordshire where my dad became the Manager for the Staff Sports and Social Club of the Shenley Hospital. We emigrated to New Zealand in 1966 and both my parents have since passed away.

Kind Regards,

Jackie Blake.

Bull's Head 2016

Above photo September 2016, kindly taken and sent by Dougie Moon.

Bull's Head 2016

Above photo September 2016, kindly taken and sent by Dougie Moon.

Bull's Head 2016

Above photo September 2016, kindly taken and sent by Dougie Moon.

Bull's Head sign 2016

Above photo September 2016, kindly taken and sent by Dougie Moon.

Bull's Head demolition 2018

Above photo, January 2018, kindly taken and sent by Ray Hopkins.

Bull's Head demolition 2018

Above photo, January 2018, kindly taken and sent by Ray Hopkins.



RIGDEN Richard 1740+ Wingham Ale Licences 1740

FOLWELL Thomas 1840-51 (age 45 in 1841Census) Bagshaw's Directory 1847

FOLWELL Mrs Frances 1851-58 (age 62 in 1851Census)Melville's 1858

BUSHELL George 1861-Aug/1863+ (age 43 in 1861Census) Kentish Chronicle

BUSHELL Frances Mrs 1871-78+ (age 43 in 1871Census) Post Office Directory 1874

BUSHELL Alfred 1881+ (also fly proprietor age 33 in 1881Census)

CHEESEMAN Harry 1891 (age 43 in 1891Census)

EASTMAN Henry 1899+ Kelly's 1899

EASTMAN Richard Henry 1901 (also artist & decorator age 39 in 1901Census) Kelly's 1903

TUPPREY/TUPPENY T to Jan/1911 Dover Express

HUGHES Henry Thomas Jan/1911-Dec/22 (age 34 in 1911Census) Dover ExpressPost Office Directory 1913Post Office Directory 1922

Last pub licensee had FOX Robert William Dec/1922-Nov/29 Dover Express

UDEN Mr Charles John Nov/1929-Oct/1937 Post Office Directory 1930Kelly's 1934Dover Express (Previously for 15 years with the East Kent Road Car company.)

BISHOP Mr H E R Oct/1937-July/40 Post Office Directory 1938Dover Express

RAWLINGS Mr R P July/1940-Sept/40 Dover Express

POOLEY Mr H Edward Sept/1940-Sept/47 dec'd Dover Express

POOLEY Mrs Fanny to Nov/1953 Dover Express

Last pub licensee had SINCLAIR David Harold Nov/1953-56 Dover Express

MORRIS Percy (Pat) & Joan 1960-63

MAY Walter 1963-65+ Dover Express

SOUTHEY John Oct/1970+


The Dover Express stated that Mr. H. E. R. Bishop had enlisted in H.M. forces.


Wingham Ale Licences 1740From Wingham Division Ale Licences 1740 Ref: KAO - QRLV 3/1

Bagshaw's Directory 1847From Bagshaw Directory 1847

Melville's 1858From Melville's Directory 1858

Post Office Directory 1874From the Post Office Directory 1874

Kelly's 1899From the Kelly's Directory 1899

Kelly's 1903From the Kelly's Directory 1903

Post Office Directory 1913From the Post Office Directory 1913

Post Office Directory 1922From the Post Office Directory 1922

Post Office Directory 1930From the Post Office Directory 1930

Post Office Directory 1938From the Post Office Directory 1938

Kelly's 1934From the Kelly's Directory 1934

Dover ExpressFrom the Dover Express


Kentish ChronicleKentish Chronicle


If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-