Sort file:- Dover, September, 2021.

Page Updated:- Wednesday, 29 September, 2021.

PUB LIST PUBLIC HOUSES Barry Smith and Paul Skelton

Earliest 1859-

(Name from)

Eight Bells

Latest 1938

25-26 New Street (Turne-againe Lane)


Vicinity of the original Eight Bells

The "Eight Bells" was opposite the "Prince of Orange" (Just shown left) and would have been situated somewhere in the vicinity of where the Dover Heritage Taxi building is today. Photo by Paul Skelton, 1 May 2010.

Above map of 1871, shows the location named "The Sailors Arms," just to the left of the Corn Market and Assembly Room.


An early beerhouse, probably opening in the 1859 but previous to this it was the "Sailor's Arms." It stood on the same side of the street as the "Metropole" trade entrance. An outlet of Phillips, it was used for many years unofficially up to 1913, as a common lodging house. Although aware of its existence, the police turned a blind eye because they admitted in 1911, although very old it was always clean and well kept.

Walter Drury was a drayman for the Diamond Brewery for fourteen years before starting here in 1908. He made his arrangements with the gods in 1915, shortly after the closure. That was in 1911 when it was declared surplus to requirements and compensation of 467 was made to the brewer and 70 to Drury. It was fully licensed and a public and a private bar were available. It continued as "Ye Olde Eight Bells Lodging House" well into the thirties. There is also mention of it still being in existence in 1938 when Mr. Edward Prescott, of Eight Bells Lodging House was called as a witness to a sudden death of John Strange, landlord of the "Park Inn."

The Pike's Dover Blue Book list it in 1923 and 1932 as the "Eight Bells" under "Hotels and Public Houses".


From the Dover Express and East Kent Intelligencer, 8 January, 1859.


George Clements, a lad who described himself  "of no fixed residence," and a sailor, was brought up by police-constable Barton and Bayley, charged with stealing several articles from the brig Water Lily, of Dover.

James Hawkins, a seaman on board the Water Lily, identified a blanket frock, a book, pipe, and some copper coins produced by police-constable Bayley as his property, and said they were safe on board the brig, in the forecastle, at 5 o'clock on the preceding evening. He next saw them that morning in the hands of the police. When he left the brig the forecastle was locked with a padlock and staple, but on going on board a little after seven that morning he found that the nails of the staple had been drawn out and a quantity of things, including the articles he had identified, had been taken away.

Police-sergeant George Geddes - About half-past six o'clock this morning I saw that the forecastle of the Water Lily had been broken open. The staple was wrenched off the top, and, inside, the forecastle had the appearance of having been ransacked. As I was overhauling it the last witness came on board. When I went on board a man named Sharp, a coal-worker, was lighting the fire, but he said he had not been near the forecastle, and appeared to be ignorant that anything unusual had occured.

Emma Johnson, landlady of the "Eight Bells" public-house, New Street - The prisoner came to my house at 12 o'clock yesterday and remained there till dusk, when he went out. He returned again shortly before seven o'clock, and he then had with him the sack and bundle produced by police-constable Bayley. I did not see anything in his hand when he left the house. He placed them against the door and asked if he might let them lie there a little while. Police-constable Barton and two others shortly afterwards came in and asked me some questions, when I gave them the bundle and sack produced. Hey said these were not the things they were looking for, and I put them back in the place where they had been lying. The policeman, however, came again in the evening and took them away.

Police-constable John Bayley - About 11 o'clock last night I went to the "Eight Bells," accompanied by police-constable Barton, and apprehended the prisoner. I brought away the sack and bundle produced. In the sack I found the blanket frock which has been identified by the witness Hawkins; and on searching him at the station-house, I found upon him the copper coins and the pipe.

The prisoner requested to be dealt with by the justices. He pleaded guilty, and begged to be treated mercifully.

The superintendent of police said that his description of offence was of very frequent occurrence, persons like the prisoner, dressed in the garb of sailors, making it a practice to go from port to port and break open the cabins of such vessels as might be left unwatched.

The Bench sentenced the prisoner to the full penalty permitted by law - three months' imprisonment, with hard labour.


From the Dover Express and East Kent Intelligencer, 29 January, 1859.


Richard Morgan, a hawker of no fixed residence, was brought up by police-sergeant Geddes, charged with having in his possession, at the "Eight Bells" public-house, part of a loin of pork and some scrubbing brushes supposed to have been stolen. It appeared that the articles were the property of different prosecutors, the cases were dealt with separately - that of the pork being taken first.

Richard Watford, a journeyman  butcher in the employ of Mr. Edward Adams, Strond Street - In the latter part of yesterday afternoon, or in the evening, a loin of pork was lying in my master's shop. It was not missed until police-sergeant Geddes came and enquired if we had lot one; and on looking, it was then discovered that one joint out of six which had been hanging up on the front rail of the shop window was missing. The six joints were hanging inside the window over the shop-board, and comprised two lions and four necks. No other meat was hanging there. I had seen them all there about one o'clock in the day. It was possible for a joint to be reached from the street, supposing a person came close to the window. The piece of pork produced is a portion of the missing joint. I know it because it corresponds with the other loin, which is its fellow, and also because it is of my own cutting. I do not believe it was sold, but it might have been without my knowledge. It was worth 3s.

Police-constable Bayley - In consequence of information I had received I went last evening soon after nine o'clock, in company with sergeant Geddes, to the "Lord Raglan" public-house, in Biggin Street, and apprehended the prisoner on suspicion of having in his possession a bundle supposed to contain stolen property. He said his bundle was at the "Eight Bells," in New Street, to which house we then went. On getting there the landlady gave up a bundle which the prisoner said was his. We then conveyed the prisoners to the station-house, bundle and all. On searching the latter, we discovered the piece of pork produced, and other articles. On apprehending the prisoner I told him that I took him on suspicion of stealing some pork, when he said that he obtained it from a man on the Canterbury road.

Police-sergeant Geddes - I accompanied police-constable Bayley to the "Lord Raglan" public-house yesterday evening, and assisted to apprehend the prisoner. I asked him where he was lodging, and he said at the "Eight Bells." I then questioned him as to whether he had a bundle there, containing a piece of pork and some brushes. He said he had; and on my asking him where he had obtained them, he said he had bought them at Canterbury. I then told him I must take him into custody on suspicion of felony. We then went to the door of the "Eight Bells" and called for the bundle, which was handed out by the landlady. The prisoner admitted it was his, and Bayley took charge of it and brought it to the station-house. The prisoner then remarked that he got it from a man on the Canterbury road. I took the prisoner to the station-house, and saw Bayley search the bundle. I afterwards showed the pork to the witness, Watford, and he identified it.

The prisoner, being questioned in the usual manner, requested that the case might be summarily dealt with. He was then asked if he was guilty or not guilty to the charge, and he pleaded guilty.

The prisoner was then charged with stealing ten scrubbing-brushes, the property of Mr. W. Binfield, grocer, Last Lane.

Mr. Binfoeld said he was a dealer in brushes. The same morning, about eight o'clock, police-sergeant Geddes called upon him and enquired if he had missed any brushes. He was not aware that he had; but on looking over the brushes in his possession after the officer had left the shop, he found that a bundle of brushes which had been hanging at the door on the preceding day, marked 5d., was missing. On going to the station-house the bundle of brushes produced by police-constable Bayley was shown him, and he then identified it as the missing bundle. He recognised the bundle by the marks on each of them. He knew the figures as his son's. He had last seen the brushes safe about nine o'clock on the preceding morning, when they were hanging on the doorpost of his shop-door. The value of the brushes was about 4s. They were not sold to anyone.

The officers Bayley and Geddes were then called upon to repeat the statement they had made in the previous case, substituting the brushes for the other property stolen.

In reply to the Magistrates, police-constable Coram said the prisoner was not known to the police in connection with any previous case of this kind. He had been about Dover before as a professor of sparring, but that was all.

The prisoner desired that this case also might be summarily dealt with, and pleaded guilty to the charge.

The Magistrates then sentenced him for the first offence to a month's imprisonment, with hard labour, and for the second to two months' imprisonment with hard labour - the imprisonment for the second offence to commence on the expiration of the first sentence.


From the Dover Express and East Kent Intelligencer, 30 April, 1859.

A short thickset man, giving the name of Samuel James Whitnall, was brought up by police-sergeant Geddes, charged with assaulting Emma Johnson, the landlady of the "Eight Bells" public-house, New Street, and breaking a pane of glass the property of the landlord, William Johnson.

Mrs. Johnson said that the defendant came into her house a little after 8 o'clock on the preceding evening and wanted to rouse up a tipsy man who was sitting asleep in the tap-room. Witness requested him to desist, telling him that the man was quarrelsome, and that if he got into the street he would only create a disturbance; but defendant would not, and instead "pitched into" her, hitting her in the face twice and once in the ear, and tearing off "nearly everything" she had on. He also broke a pane of glass. He was the worse for liquor at the time.

The defendant said he had no recollection of the circumstances.

The Bench fined him 1s. and the costs 6d., and on his failing to produce the money committed him for seven days.


From the Dover Express and East Kent Intelligencer, 27 August, 1859.


Ann Mulligan, a woman of apparently bibacious habits, (addicted to drinking) who described herself as being married and living at the "Eight Bells," New Street, was charged by Police-constable Bowles with being drunk and causing an obstruction in York Street, at about twelve o'clock on the previous evening. From the evidence of the police-constable it appears, that while he was on duty in York Street, he observed the defendant lying on the footway, apparently asleep, with a soldier by her side; and that on rousing her he found that she was very intoxicated, and her conduct, subsequently, was such as to justify him in removing her to the station-house.

The defendant, who acknowledged the offence, expressed her regret at what had occurred, and hoped that the Bench would grant her liberty that time, and she would promise no repetition of the offence should occur; but the magistrates, after a little admonitory advise, said he could not allow the offence to pass unpunished, and fined defendant 5s. with 6s. costs. In default to be committed to prison for seven days.


Ann Mulligan, who had also been released from prison only a day or two before, was brought up by police-constable Irons for being drunk and causing an obstruction in High Street, Charlton. The Magistrate, after an admonition, dismissed the defendant, on her promise to leave the town immediately.


From the Dover Express and East Kent Intelligencer, 27 August, 1859.


John Mulligan, whose appearance presented that of an inveterate drunkard, was brought before the Bench, on the information of Mrs. Johnson, the landlady of the "Eight Bells," New Street, charged with disposing of the following articles of clothing, the property of the crown, viz.- one pair of boots, a flannel shirt, and one cotton shirt; but from the evidence that follows, it will be seen that only the charge of stealing the latter (the cotton shirt) was proceeded with.

Maria Johnson deposed:- I am the wife of John Johnson, who keeps the "Eight Bells." Yesterday morning, between ten and eleven o'clock, I saw the defendant in the tap-room of my house in company with a soldier of the Royal Artillery, whose name I have since learned is Mackenly. They were conversing together. Shortly afterwards I saw Mackenly take off his boots, and lay them upon the table, upon which the defendant was in the act of taking them away, when I remonstrated with him and told him that if he did so I should send for a policeman. There were others in the room at the time - I think one soldier, and three or four civilians. Both the defendant and Mackenly appeared to be very intoxicated. I then went out of the room, and shortly afterwards I heard the defendant, who was leaving the room, say he had got 2s. 1d. for the boots. The defendant and the soldier remained in the room drinking for about an hour, when I was informed that the soldiers and the defendants had gone out into the water-closet, for the purpose of changing their clothes. I, being in the cellar at the time, which is adjoining the water-closet, called out to them. The defendant then went away with the two shirts under his arm, and came back soon afterwards, when the soldiers were asleep. I did not hear the defendant say anything respecting the shirts, the tap-room door being closed while they were there. A police-constable then came to the house, when I informed him of what had occurred,

Sarah Whitnall, being sworn, said - I keep a second-hand shop at the top of New Street. Shortly after ten o'clock yesterday morning, the defendant came into my shop with a white shirt in his had. He asked me if I wanted to purchase a shirt, for which he asked 1s. On taking it into my hands I told him that I could not give him a shilling, and offered him 8d. as it was nearly worn out. He said he could not part with it for that, it having cost 3s. 8d. a short time since. He then retired from the shop with the shirt in his possession, but shortly afterwards returned with it again, asking me the same questions, as if he had not previously applied. I, however took the shirt into my hand again, and on examining it, I found that it was a military shirt. I told him that it was marked as a military shirt, when he replied that it was once, but it was his own, he having been lately discharged by the army. With that understanding I gave him 8d. for the shirt. The shirt produced is the same. The shirt was placed upon the table in front of the room, where it remained until an application was made for the same by Sergeant Scutt, to whom I handed it over.

Sergeant Scutt - I produce the shirt which by request was handed to me by the last witness.

Jonathan Hemingway (who appeared in command of an escort with the two soldiers concerned in the matter) deposed - I am a staff-sergeant in the Royal Artillery. I identified the shirt produced as a military shirt, and it is marked with the name of gunner Mackenly, who belongs to the Royal Artillery. I know that it was in his possession on Saturday last. He was absent yesterday till nine o'clock, when he returned to the barracks at the Castle, without his or any other shirt. The shirt in question is worth 1s.

The Bench, taking a lenient view of the case, and there being no proof of any previous offences of the kind against the defendant, remonstrated with him upon his future proceedings, and then inflicted a fine, in default of paying which he was committed to prison for one month.


From the Dover Express and East Kent Intelligencer, 17 January, 1863.



James Williams, a scissors-grinder living in New Street, was charged with assaulting John Edwards, who described himself as "servant" at the "Eight Bells" public-house and lodging-house.

From the statement of the complainant it appeared that on the previous day the prisoner and another man in the custody of the police on a separate charge were at the "Eight Bells," and on the landlord desiring to close the house both of them refused to leave. The prisoner's companion threw a boulder at Mr. Johnson, the landlord, and another at the complainant, and the prisoner struck complainant with a glass ginger-beer bottle. The latter blow inflicted a bad wound on complainant's forehead, which was covered with strapping and seemed to have bled very profusely. Williams was given into custody, but the other man escaped.

The second man, another scissor-grinder named John Sheridan, was then brought in by the police, and identified by the complainant as the man who threw a stone at him.

Police-constable Campany said he was on duty in New Street, about three o'clock on the previous afternoon, when he heard a great disturbance in the "Eight Bells." On entering the house, he found the complainant bleeding from a wound in the forehead an the prisoner William just behind him, with a ginger-beer bottle in his hand. Witness took Williams into custody. He had previously seen him at the "Red Lion," where he was committing a similar disturbance and breaking the windows. Previous to taking him into custody, the prisoner said he did not mean to strike Edwards so hard, but that he ran his head against the bottle. (Laughter.)

Prisoner now had the audacity to repeat this version of the assault to the Magistrates in his defence. Sheridan said that Edwards hit him, and he returned the blow - that was all.

The Bench did not believe the prisoners, and committed each of them to one month.


From the Dover Express and East Kent Intelligencer, 24 January, 1863.


James Sinclair, a man who said he was a baker by trade, but had no employment, was charged with stealing from the North Foreland Meadow on the previous Saturday, a steelyard and a hay-cutter. From the evidence of Joseph Bush, a labourer belonging to Canterbury, it appeared that he had worked in the meadow in question during the past week, binding hay. He left work at four o'clock on Saturday afternoon, leaving his implements at the top of the stack and covering them over with hay. At half-past ten o'clock on Monday morning, on going to resume work he found that they had been taken away. The prisoner, it seemed, had been seen in the neighbourhood of the stack, and had had possession of the things, having asked a man named William Smith, a labourer lodging at the "Eight Bells" public-house, where the prisoner was also staying, to sell them for him. It appeared that he had concealed the things - the cutter behind a pigsty in the yard, and the steelyard under some mats in the kitchen. Information was given to the police, and the prisoner was then taken into custody.

The prisoner was remanded, Dr. Astley expressing his intention of sending him to the next county petty sessions.


Dover Telegraph and Cinque Ports General Advertiser, Saturday 26 September 1863.


Sept, 17, at the "Eight Bells," New Street, Dover, the wife of Mr. W. Johnson, aged 29 years.


From the Dover Express and East Kent Intelligencer, 12 December, 1863.


Clara Greenstreet, an unfortunate who has many times appeared before the Bench, was charged with maliciously breaking some windows at the "Eight Bells" public-house, New Street, on the previous day, while in a state of drunkenness; but the proprietor of the house, a man named Johnson, although promising the police that he would attend and prosecute the charge, failed to put in his appearance, and the prisoner was therefore dismissed with a caution.


From the Dover Express and East Kent Intelligencer, 27 April, 1866.


William Jones, a tramping baker, was charged will illegally pledging a silver watch, value 6, the property of John Taylor, of the "Britannia" public-house, Canterbury.

The prosecutor said; I am a discharged soldier, and lodge at the "Britannia" public-house, Canterbury. On Monday morning last I saw the prisoner at the "Golden Lion." He told me he was a watchmaker, and was going to work at Mr. Mason's, of Canterbury. I showed him my watch and he said he would take it and repair it for me. I let him have the watch, and as he did not bring it back at the time he had promised it, I went to Mason's, and found that they knew nothing of the prisoner, and that there had been no promise given to employ him there. I then traced him to Dover, and discovered that the watch had been pledged at a pawnbroker's in Canon Street. I found the prisoner at the "Eight Bells" public house, in new Street.

Clerk: Had you known the prisoner long?

Prosecutor: Only since Friday last. He was lodging in the same house with me.

Henry Nathan: I am a pawnbroker carrying on business in Cannon Street. The watch produced was brought to me on Monday night by the prisoner, but he then declined to leave it for the amount I offered upon it. He brought it again on Tuesday morning, and then told me that if I would lend him the amount I had offered on the previous night he would accept it.

Magistrate: What was the sum?

Witness: 25s.

Examination continued: The prisoner pawned the watch in the name of John Taylor (the name of the owner).

Prosecutor: My name is on the back of the case.

The prisoner did not deny the charge, and the Magistrates fined him 7 for the offence; in default a month's imprisonment, with hard labour.

The prisoner said he must go to prison.

The Magistrate then ordered that the watch should be given to the prosecutor.

The pawnbroker requested that the money found upon the prisoner might be given up to him, as it was no doubt part of the money he had received from him.

The Magistrates at first said they had no power to make such an order.

The pawnbroker pointed out, however, that such a course was frequently adopted in the London Police Courts, and ultimately the Magistrates, after some consultation, directed that the money found upon the prisoner should be given up to the pawnbroker, the prisoner himself expressed no unwillingness to such a course.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 24 April, 1868.


William Knight, a young man, was charged with stealing from an unfinished building near St. James's Church, on the 18th inst., a basket of carpenter's tools, belonging to Thomas Sawyer, and William Sheppard was charged with aiding and assisting Knight in disposing of the property.

Thomas Sawyer, a journeyman carpenter, said he lived at 3, Prospect Cottages. The tools produced, consisted of an axe, three saws, three planes, a pair of pincers, a pair of compasses, two punches, two gimlets, two bradawls, four chisels, two screw-drivers, a rabbit-plane, and a level were his. There were some other tools in the bag when he last saw it, but they were not in it now. He left the bag in an unfinished building in Harold Street, at the rear of St. James's Church, on Saturday afternoon, He meant to call for the bag after he had had his tea. He accordingly went back to the buildings at half-past five, and found that the tools were gone. He looked round to see how anyone could have got in, and he found that a square of glass had been taken out from the back kitchen window. He at once gave information to the police, and he next saw the tools at the shop of Messrs. Long and Bacon, pawnbrokers. The tools were worth 2.

Mr. James Long said the prisoner Knight brought the tools to his shop about six o'clock on Saturday evening. He offered them in pledge, asking for 10s. to be advanced on them. Witness asked to whom the tools belonged, and prisoner said, to his brother. Witness thereupon sent him for his brother, and after about half-an-hour's absence, he returned with the other prisoner, who said he was the brother of Knight and the owner of the tools. Witness then advanced 9s. on the tools. Both the prisoners gave the name of Sawyer. The tools were afterwards given up to the police.

Police-constable Raymond, in consequence of the information given by the prosecutor on Saturday evening, went to the "Eight Bells" on Sunday morning. He found Knight, and told him he should take him into custody on a charge of stealing some tools from a house at the back of St. James's Church. Witness took him into custody and conveyed him to the police-station, where the charge was taken down, when the prisoner admitted taking out the pane of glass, and being in the other man's company when the tools were actually stolen, and also when they were pledged.

Police-constable H. Smith deposed to apprehending Sheppard, who was also found at the "Eight Bells," at eight o'clock on the previous night. the prisoner, on being told what he was being charged with, denied knowing anything about it, except going to the pawnbrokers' shop and saying that the tools were his, at the request of Knight.

Both men pleaded guilty to the charge, which was summarily disposed of by the Magistrates, each of the prisoners being sent to Wandsworth for three months, with hard labour.

Another basket of tools belonging to some plasterers employed on the same building had been found by the police at the "Antwerp Tap," where they had been left by Knight and another man. The men to whom the tools belonged were in attendance and identified their property. The tools were, therefore, restored to them, the Magistrates not thinking it worth while to go into a second charge against the prisoners.

The Bench thanked Mr. Long for the course he had pursued, and ordered his expenses to be paid.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 22 May, 1868.


Cornelius Geary and George Kean were charged with disorderly conduct at the "Eight Bells" public-house, New Street, and with wilfully breaking certain articles of crockery, value 6d.

Sarah Johnson, the wife of William Johnson, the keeper of the "Eight Bells," said that the men had been lodging there two or three days. They came home on Tuesday very disorderly, and used threatening language to a servant, saying they would knock her brains in, at the same time breaking a cup, two saucers, and a glass bottle. They also threatened to kick the landlord's ______ in. No provocation whatever had been given them. The value of the articles broken was 6d.

Elizabeth Reeves, servant at the public-house, gave corroborative evidence. She was afraid because of the threats used to her.

Both defendants belonged to the Artillery Militia, recently disbanded. They said they had spent all their money at the public-house, and now the landlord wanted to get rid of them.

The magistrates informed defendants that the charge would be left open till Friday, and in the event of their leaving the town by that day it would be dismissed.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 21 August, 1868.


Mary McGuire, a k'rect card of the feminine gender, was charged with disorderly conduct and wilfully breaking three dinner plates at the "Eight Bells" public-house, New Street.

The Magistrates ordered the police to see her out of the town, instructing them to bring her up again on the same charge if she returned.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday 30 April, 1869.


Susan Bartholomew, a travelling woman, was charged with wilfully breaking a pane of glass at the "Eight bells" public-house , new Street.

It appeared that the defendant came to the house in question  on Tuesday and asked for lodgings. As she had behaved herself badly on a previous occasion, however, the landlord declined to accommodate her. She came again on Wednesday morning, and said she had been unable to get lodgings and had had to walk the streets all night. The landlord told her that if she conducted herself properly she would find no difficulty, but he could not take her in himself. She then went into the kitchen, where the lodgers were breakfasting, and took up their food and threw it over the room. he removed her from the house by the back-door, and she afterwards came round to the front of the house  and broke a pane of glass in one of the windows, the value of which was 8d. The landlord  then sent for a policeman, and gave her into custody. After getting into the custody of  the police she behaved very badly.

Sergeant Stevens, who had taken the woman into custody, deposed to her violent conduct and her disgraceful language on the way to the police-station and while in custody there. She cut her hand very badly in breaking the glass, and it was necessary to send for the doctor, but she spat in his face, and he was obliged to go away.

In her defence the woman said she was supplied with drink by the landlord of the "Eight Bells" all the while she had money, but when her money was exhausted she was turned out of the house. On the following morning she was interfered with by a couple of women in the house and she got exasperated and broken the window.

In default of paying the damage and costs, the defendant was sentenced to a week's imprisonment , and to a further fourteen days' for the violent assault upon the constable and her disgusting behaviour to the medical gentleman who was called in to attend upon her.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday 3 September, 1869.


John Williams, a labourer, was charged with stealing a pair of boots  the property of Mr. Moody, of St. James's Lane.

Henry Moody said he lived in St. James's Lane, and knew the boots produced as his property. On the previous night the prisoner came into his shop, with his wife and child, and asked for a pair of boots. Witness handed those now produced, when the prisoner tried them on, but asked for another pair, saying that the first were rather too long. Witness thereupon gave him another pair which appeared to fit him. The prisoner then said he would go and fetch the money as he had not enough with him. After the prisoner, with his wife and child, had left the shop, witness missed the boots produced, and immediately gave information to the police. The value of the boots was 2s. 6d.

Police-sergeant Stevens deposed to going to the "Eight Bells" public-house , in new Street, at about eight o'clock, on Saturday evening. he saw the prosecutor  outside, and requested him to remain there while he (the witness) went inside. Witness saw a woman in the passage, and while he was speaking to the landlady of the house, the woman called the prisoner out of the tap-room, and he went out of the front door. Witness immediately went out, when he asked Moody if the man who had just gone out was the man who had stolen the boots. In consequence of what Moody said in reply, witness followed the prisoner, and saw him going through a passage leading to Queen's Gardens. He stopped the prisoner, and asked him to let him look at his shoes, when he saw he was wearing a pair of boots similar to those described as missing. Witness brought him back to the public-house, and told him to take one off. He did so, when witness showed it to the prosecutor, who immediately identified it. Mr. Moody then gave prisoner into witness's custody on the charge of stealing the boots; but the prisoner said he was not guilty.

the prisoner now pleaded guilty, and desired to be tried by the Magistrates. In his defence, he said he was very sorry for what had occurred. He himself did not steal the boots nor had he any intention of doing so; but after he had left the shop his "missus" produced them from under her shawl; and he did not then like to take them back.

The magistrates sent the prisoner to gaol for one month with hard labour.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 5 November, 1869. Price 1d.


Charles Higrers Maynard, a French bookbinder, was charged with having in his possession at the “Eight Bells” public-house, New Street, a silver watch, supposed to have been stolen.

Police-sergeant Barton said that in consequence of information he received he apprehended the prisoner at the “Eight Bells” on the previous evening, at half-past eleven, when he found in his possession a silver watch, supposed to have been stolen. He asked that the case might be remanded in order that he might be enabled to obtain evidence.

The Magistrates remanded the prisoner until Wednesday.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 14 January, 1870.


George Deal, a mariner, belonging to Dover, was charged with purchasing a regimental woollen shirt, from a soldier of the 4th regiment.

Provost-marshal Edward Robins, said the shirt produced was part of the regimental necessaries of a private in the 4th name Arthur Hemmit, and was marked with his regimental number as well as with the year in which it was issued (1869). The prisoner had the shirt on his back when he was found, at the "Eight Bells" public-house, New Street, and witness gave him in charge, the prisoner himself admitting that he had bought the shirt from a soldier. The value of the shirt was 6s.

The prisoner said he had purchased the shirt at the "Eight Bells" of a soldier, but was not aware that it was a regimental shirt, and did not see any marks upon it.

The Magistrates fined him 1, besides treble the value of the article, 18s., and the costs, 6s.; in default fourteen days' imprisonment. The penalty in which he had rendered himself liable was 20, or six months' imprisonment.

The prisoner said he must go to gaol, and was removed in custody.


Whitstable Times and Herne Bay Herald, 14 May 1870.

George Sutton, a man in the service of Mr. Dean, Hardres Court, was charged with neglecting to attend to horses under his care on Tuesday last.

P.C. Kemp stated that the horses and waggon were standing in New-street, and there being no one to look after them, the horses were backing across the road into the houses, when he stopped them. Defendant ultimately emerged from the "Eight Bells."

Defendant, who pleaded not guilty, said he had left his horses before. He was only having his "allowance."

Fined 1s.; costs, 13s.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 25 June, 1877. Price 1d.


George Blackman and Thomas Horn, privates in the 6th Regiment, were charged with having in their possession, on the 25th inst., at the “Eight Bells” public-house, a silver watch value 2, the property of Philip Hahn, supposed to have been stolen.

Philip Hahn said: I am here with a German band playing in the streets. On Monday night I was at the “Eight Bells” public-house, in New Street, about nine o'clock. I had rather more drink than was good for me. There were some soldiers in the house. I wanted to go out to the back, and two of the soldiers followed me out of the front door into the yard. As I came out of the urinal one of the men that had followed me caught hold of my watch guard and pulled my watch out of my pocket. I went into the house again and told the landlord. The watch now produced is the same. The glass and spring is broken and also the guard to which it was attached. I value it at 2. I could not say who the men were.

By the prisoner Blackman: I cannot say it was you, but it was someone very much like you.

Sarah Winter said: My husband keeps the “Carpenter's Arms” public-house in Peter Street. The prisoners have been to my house several times. They came last night between six and seven o'clock and called for a pint of beer which I served them with. Hore asked me if I had a key that would wind up his watch. I told him my husband would be home shortly and perhaps he had one. He gave me the watch, and while I had it a Policeman came in and in the presence of the two men asked for the watch. I said “What watch?” And he said “The one that you have.” I then gave it up. The Policeman told Hore that he should take him into custody for stealing the watch. Hore made some reply which I did not notice and both prisoners ran out of the house. The watch now produced is the same.

William Hallett, landlord of the “Eight Bells” public-house, said he remembered the prosecutor being in his house on Monday night the worse for drink. He was in company with the two prisoners and a sailor. The latter called for half a gallon of beer. They all went into the tap-room and the beer was served there. The prosecutor asked where the back-way was, and the prisoner Blackman said he would show him and they both went out. In about three minutes the German returned and said he had lost his watch. The soldiers were then gone from the tap-room, but the sailor was there. The larger portion of the beer was still untouched. The prisoners had been in the house about five o'clock the same evening and stayed about an hour. Witness did not remember seeing Hore after the watch was gone.

Police-constable Fogg said he went to the “Carpenter's Arms” about half-past six on the previous evening, and he saw the two prisoners sitting in the tap-room. He asked the landlady for the watch she had, and she said she had not got one, but afterwards handed it over on being told that she would have to go to the station to be searched. When the prisoners were told that they would be charged with stealing the watch they ran out of the house. The Constable followed and caught Blackman at Effingham Crescent. He said he knew nothing about the watch. The other prisoner was apprehended at the barracks and he said he did not steal the watch, but that he was at the “Eight Bells” when it was stolen.

The men were committed for trial at the Quarter Sessions on Monday next.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday 13 December, 1878


William Abbott, landlord of the “Eight Bells” public-house, new Street, was summoned on the information of the Inspector of Water Fittings for a waste of water.

Mr. Wollaston Knocker, Town Clerk, prosecuted.

The Inspector (H. B. Shillito) deposed to visiting the defendant's house on the 25th of November, and on going into the yard saw a stop tap, direct from the main, half turned and the water running. He then went into a water-closet and there found the stop valve leaking. He called the defendant's wife attention to the waste and told her it must be repaired. Again he visited the defendant's house on the 4th and 6th of December and found the same state of things. He had cautioned the defendant.

The defendant said he was very sorry; but he would be more careful in future.

Fined 9s. 6d., including costs.


From the Dover Express and East Kent Intelligencer, 6 January, 1882. Price 1d.


William Charles Napier, a man who claimed to be related to the baronet of the same name, was charged with stealing eight files and one saw set, the property of John Cremer.

The prisoner pleaded “Not Guilty.”

John Cremer, a saw sharpener staying at the “Eight Bells” public-house, New Street, said: The eight files and the saw set produced are my property, and I use them in my business. On Tuesday night, shortly after nine o'clock, I went to bed at the public-house and left my tools on the window sill in the kitchen. I forgot to take them upstairs with me, and between ten and eleven o'clock I dressed and went downstairs, but found the set was gone. I told the landlord of my loss, and we all searched, but nothing was found. The prisoner who had been lodging there for some time, was in the kitchen when I went to bed, but was absent when we were looking for them. The next morning I came to the Police-station, and afterwards returned to the “Eight Bells” with a constable, and I accused the prisoner of stealing the files, but he said he knew nothing about them. We then went to different public-houses and called at the “Sultan,” and from something we heard there we returned to the “Eight Bells,” and I gave prisoner in charge.

John Mackay, landlord of the “Old Commercial Quay Inn,” said: On Tuesday night at about ten o'clock the prisoner came into my house and said he wanted a sixpence to take him to Folkestone, and offered to leave the tools with me if I would lend him the money till the morning. I gave him sixpence and kept the files. This morning a policeman came, and from what he said I handed him the tools. The prisoner had told me they were his own, and that he used them for sharpening saws.

Police-constable Pilcher said: Yesterday about twelve o'clock I accompanied the prosecutor to the “Eight Bells” public-house, New Street, and he there accused the prisoner of stealing his tools, which the prisoner denied knowing anything about, and said he would have been truly too glad to tell the prosecutor if he knew. From enquiries I made at several public-houses we returned afterwards to the “Eight Bells,” and the prisoner was given into my custody. This morning I went to the “Old Commercial Quay” public-house, and Mr. Mackay gave me the tools produced.

The prisoner made a long defence, but of little advantage to himself.

The Bench sentenced the prisoner to 21 days' imprisonment with hard labour, without the option of a fine.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 30 March, 1888. Price 1d.



At the Dover Police Court on Saturday before A. Bottle, Esq., in the chair, and C. Stein, Esq., Patrick McGourley was charged with stealing from Edward Harris, a gunner in the Royal Artillery, at Dover, a bag containing about 60 in gold. The case excited great interest, the court being densely crowded.

Mary Ann Knott said: I live at 6, New Street, with my husband, John Knott. I went into the “Eight Bells” public house, on Thursday night about 9 o'clock to get a glass of beer, and when I went in I saw the prisoner standing at the bar. Shortly afterwards an artilleryman came in and the prisoner called out to him, “Halloa Spider, how are you getting on?” They shook hands, and the artilleryman asked the prisoner what he would have to drink, and they had a pot of beer, the artilleryman paying for it. The artilleryman when paying for the beer gave a sixpence to the landlady, and the landlord told him he did not pay 6d. for a pot of beer, and gave him 2d change. Just before the gun fired at 9.30 p.m. the soldier was going home when he dropped 4s. 11d. on the floor in front of the bar, and I picked it up and gave it to the soldier. The soldier then pulled a little pink bag tied with red tape, out of his pocket and said the people in the bar were honest for he never expected to get the money back that he dropped, and asked what we would have to drink. The soldier took the bag from his pocket in his big coat, and he asked me to feel the weight, placing the bag in my right hand. He said there was 60 in it, and I told him to put it in his pocket and not be silly. The prisoner was in the bar all the time and heard the conversation. I told the landlord of the house that the soldier said he had got 60, but the landlord said he did not believe a private soldier would have that money. The prisoner then said the soldier was a married man. And the 60 was his wife's month's washing money, (laughter). The soldier then said he was going and the prisoner said he would go with him. They left the house together, and I left the house also to go home. I saw the two go down New Street and turn in the direction of St. Mary's Church. The soldier when in the public house did not say the money was his wife's washing money, but before he left he told me he felt bad, and I advised him to have a split lemon and go straight home to the barracks. The prisoner never spoke to me at all. The artilleryman now in court is the soldier that I saw in the bar of the public house on Thursday night.

Edwin Harris said: I am a gunner in the depot of the Cinque Ports Division Royal Artillery. I went into the “Eight Bells” public house, New Street on Thursday evening last about 9 o'clock. I saw the prisoner in the bar when I went in, and he got up and shook my hands with me and wanted to know how I was getting on. He might have called me “Spider” but not to my knowledge. I had known the prisoner when he was in the Militia some time ago. When I went in the public house I had 68 in gold in a little pink bag, and also some odd silver. I brought the money out with the express purpose of putting it in the Bank, but I was too late, as the bank closed at 4 o'clock, and I was not aware of that. I got the money from my home as I have an income. I changed the cheque at the London and County Bank last Tuesday for 100 and I then took 30 of it and put it in the Post Office. I remained in the “Eight Bells” until the gun fired at 9.30 p.m. I wanted to come away before, but the prisoner persuaded me to stop. I paid for the liquor there out of some loose money that I had had. I do not recollect dropping any money whilst there. I had some beer and I was not sober for it took an effect on me and overcame me suddenly and I wanted to get home. I may have taken the bag out of my pocket but I do not recollect either taking it out, or showing it to the last witness Mrs. Knott. I left the house soon after the gun fired. I kept the money in a bag in the breast pocket inside of my great coat, and to get at it I had to unbutton my coat. The prisoner went out of the public house with me when I left and went up with me to the top of the steps leading to Dover Castle, where I am stationed. He stopped at the entrance gate, and I was going to wish the prisoner “goodnight” when he pretended that my belt was not straight and was putting it right. The second button on my coat was undone and the prisoner put his hand quickly into my coat pocket, snatched the bag of money and ran away in the direction of Fort Burgoyne. I did not run after the prisoner but came down the steps and when I got to the top of Castle Street near where the Jubilee tree is planted, I met the piquet and I reported what had happened but they did not believe me and made me a prisoner. I was brought down yesterday (Friday) morning, to the Police Station and there I saw the prisoner in the cells and identified him as the man that ribbed me. The prisoner was not dressed in the same clothes when in the “Eight Bells” as he is now, but was wearing the old clothes which are now produced.

By the prisoner: I did not tell you that the money belonged to the Government when at the entrance to the Castle, and I did not ask you to take it.

Margaret Pratt, wife of Benjamin Pratt, landlord of the “Town Arms Inn,” Bridge Street, Dover, said: I knew the prisoner in the summer when he was in the Militia, as he used to visit my house. The prisoner came to my house on Thursday night about 10.30 or 10.40 and he slept there the night. When he came to my house he was dressed in the old clothes now produced. He went out the next (Friday) morning about 7 a.m. and came back at nine a.m. with a bundle. He went upstairs to his room and when he came downstairs again he was dressed as he is now in the dock, in a new suit of clothes. I went out with the prisoner that day and went to a public house in Ladywell and I was with him when he was arrested. Before the prisoner and myself went out he gave me several pounds in gold for me to take care of and I did not count it then, but wrapped it up in a piece of paper, putting it in a drawer. I afterwards handed the money over to the police, and they counted it and found it to be 9.

William James Champion Hearn said I assist my father who is a clothier, and carries on business at 66, Snargate Street, Dover. The prisoner came to my shop on Friday morning last about 9 a.m. and asked to be supplied with a suit of clothes. I supplied him with the clothes which the prisoner is now wearing in court, and also with a brown overcoat, two beaver shirts, a felt hat, a pair of braces, and the woollen scarf prisoner is wearing. The articles came to 3 5s. and the prisoner gave me four sovereigns and I gave him the 15s. change. The old clothing now produced is what the prisoner was wearing when he came into my shop.

Charles George Sherwood said: I am a watch-maker and jeweller carrying on business at 67 Snargate Street, Dover. The prisoner came into my shop on Friday last at 25 minutes past nine a.m., and purchased a silver case watch and metal chain, a pair of silver bangles, and two silver rings. The prisoner had 27s. 6d. out of which the watch cost 15s. 6d. The prisoner gave me two sovereigns and I gave him 12s. 6d. change. When I gave him the watch I gave him the bill and warrant, not produced, and the prisoner gave me the name of Patrick McGourley.

Margaret Pratt, recalled, said: I have seen the silver rings and bangles before. The prisoner gave me the pairs of silver bangles yesterday (Friday) for my daughter, and one of the silver rings for my son.

Police-sergeant Suters said: Early yesterday morning I received information of a robbery and went in search of the prisoner. I was searching for the prisoner the whole morning until about two o'clock in the afternoon, when I went to Ladywell, and there I saw the prisoner coming out of the “Wheatsheaf” public house, accompanied by the last witness, Mrs. Pratt, and a child. The woman and child got into a cab that was standing outside, and the prisoner was about to get in also when I touched him on the shoulder and said, “I believe your name is McGourlay.” He replied, “It is not, my name is Smith.” I said, I believe you are the man I am looking for,” and I asked him if he had been in the “Eight Bells” the previous night. The prisoner said, “No.” I told him I did not feel satisfied and that I should detain him. I asked him to get into the cab and drive to the Police Station, but the prisoner refused and said, “If you detain me I shall was compensation, for you have made a mistake.” I then charged him with stealing 60 or thereabouts from a gunner in the Royal Artillery the previous night. I took hold of the prisoner and he became very violent. Mr. May, park keeper, who was standing near, came to my assistance, and after a deal of struggling we got the prisoner to the Police Station. I then searched the prisoner, and in his trousers pocket I found 38 10s. in gold and 11s. 6d. in silver and 2d. in bronze coins. I also found the watch and metal chain in his waistcoat pocket, and the silver ring which the prisoner was wearing on his finger. The prisoner was dressed the same as he is now with the exception of an overcoat, which he was wearing, and which got covered with mud during the struggle in arresting him.

Mr. Edward Tordifee said: I am the cashier at the London and County Bank, Dover. I have seen Edwin Harris, who is in court before. Some money was remitted to our bank on a day or two before the 20th of March, an account of a gunner named Edwin Harris. On the 20th March Edwin Harris called, and in consequence of what was said, I drew a cheque for him, and he signed it. It was a cheque for 100. Harris had been in our bank two days before and had brought a cheque for 100 on some country bank; I believe it was a bank near Oxford. He left the cheque with us to collect. When he came on the 20th inst. this cheque now produced was drawn, and I gave him 100 in gold.

Superintendent Sanders said: Last night I received 9 and the prisoner's old clothing from the witness, Mrs. Pratt. This morning I had the clothes taken to the cell where the prisoner was confined, and I requested him to take off the new clothes he was wearing and put on his old ones. The prisoner who is known by the name of McGourley in the Militia, refused to change his clothing, and said the old clothes were not his, for he had thrown his in the sea. I examined his clothes, and in one of the pockets found the memorandum (produced) from Mr. Sherwood, respecting a watch purchased by the prisoner.

This evidence completed the case, and the prisoner in answer to the charge, having nothing to say, was committed to take his trial at the next Dover Quarter Sessions.

Arising out of the following case was the following:-

Stephen Vallentine and Henry Hanson were charged with breaking and entering the stable in Colbran Street, and stealing from there a roan gelding pony.

William Kennet said: I live at 15, Colebrane Street, Charlton, and I am a labourer. I have a lodge at the back of my house. I used to keep a donkey there. The man Patrick McGourley came to my house on Friday afternoon about two p.m. he went away, but afterwards came back with a cream coloured pony, which used to belong to Mr. Simpson, butcher, Buckland, and asked me to put the pony in the lodge, which I did and tied it up. I told Mr. McGourley the pony would want some straw, and he gave me one shilling to buy a bundle of straw. I bought the straw from Mr. Sheaff's for 10d. I went to the “Tavern Inn” to see the prisoner and offered him the 2d. change, but he said I could have a pint of porter with it. I had the porter. McGourley afterwards gave me 6d. to buy some cut meat for the pony, and I bought it and took it to the stable and locked the stable door. He said to me, “I will call for the pony in the latter part of the afternoon, as I am going to drive it to Deal, and if you pay anything more for food, charge it to me, and I will pay you for it.” About five o'clock, whilst I was in doors, my little boy said the stable door was open. I said it could not be open, as I locked the door and had got the key in my pocket. Looking out of the window, I saw in the stable and found the pony had been taken away. I afterwards gave information to the police that my premises had been broken into and the pony taken away. The yard gate does not lock, but it bolts, and I found that it had been forced open. The chain of the stable had been broken and the door opened. I found two pieces of a file close to a lodge door. I have not seen the pony since I locked it up in my lodge.

Alfred Dennis, a carrier, living at 8, Ethelbert Road, Tower Hamlets, said he had a cream coloured pony, and he sold it to McGourley on Friday morning for 1. Witness saw McGourley take the pony round to the last witness's lodge. Witness after going and looking at the pony, which was brought outside the Town Hall, returned, and said that the pony was the same that he had sold to McGourley.

The Magistrates' Clerk addressing McGourley, said the Magistrates wished him to be a witness in this case, but he was not bound to say anything and he need not say anything that would incriminate him in the other case.

Patrick McGourley was then put into the witness box and said; I had a pony which belonged to me. I took it round to Kennett's house, and at my request he put it in his lodge. I saw Kennett lock the stable door. I never authorised the two prisoners or anybody else to take the pony away. I have known the prisoner Hanson, but I have never seen the other prisoner Vallantine before.

Richard Beer, a carrier, living at Chapel Hill, Buckland, said the two prisoners came to his house last Friday night about seven o'clock with a cream coloured pony. The prisoner Hanson asked witness if he wanted to buy a cheap pony. Hanson said he had got it to sell. Witness said he would buy the pony, and as he knew it had been sold for 12s. 6d. before, he would give them one guinea for it. Witness gave Hanson the money, and the other prisoner had hold of the pony's head. The police have since taken the pony away.

Police-sergeant Harman who arrested the prisoners Vallantine and Hanson, said: On searching them at the Police Station he found 10s. 2d. on Hanson, and 7s. 7d. on Vallantine.

Both prisoners, in answer to the charge, said they had nothing to say, and that they were committed for trial at the next Dover Quarter Sessions.


From the Dover Express and East Kent Intelligencer, 28 March, 1902. Price 1d.


Elizabth Ratcliffe was charged with being drunk and disorderly and using obscene language in York Street.

Inspector Nash said that at 20 to 5 on the previous afternoon he saw the prisoner in New Street in company with two men. They went into the “Eight Bells” public house. He followed in and told the landlord not to serve her as she was drunk, and had just been turned out of a public house. She followed witness into the street, and used obscene and filthy language, and behaved in a very disorderly manner. He advised her to go away, and one of the men got her into York Street, where her conduct became disgusting, and she lay down. Witness then took her into custody, and had considerable difficulty in bringing her to the Police Station.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday 1 March, 1907. Price 1d.


The death occurred at the Infirmary today of Mr. Stephen Smith Wickenden, of the “Eight Bells” public house, New Street, who on Sunday last slipped down some stone steps at his house. He was taken to Dover Hospital, and found to be suffering from a broken leg just above the ankle. He was afterwards transferred to the Dover Union Infirmary, where he died last night. An inquest will be held at the Union Workhouse tomorrow afternoon.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday 8 March, 1907. Price 1d.



An inquest was held at the Union Workhouse on Sunday, by the Borough Coroner, (Sydenham Payn, Esq.), on the body of Stephen Smith Wickenham, aged 53 years, the husband of the landlady of the “Eight Bells” public house, New Street. The deceased, on the evening of Sunday, February 24th, was returning to the “Eight Bells” when something caused him to fall down. A man who was lodging at the “Eight Bells” was returning there soon after, and saw the deceased on the ground surrounded by a number of boys. Upon his arrival the boys decamped. It was then discovered that Wickenden's leg was broken. He was removed to the Dover Hospital, and from thence on Wednesday last week to the Dover Union Infirmary, where he died on Thursday evening.

The Jury was as follows:-Messrs. F. Kidd, (foreman), J. E. Hayward, A Groombridge, G. Spinner, J. Dye, S. Butt, H. Carter, W. J. Hanson, G. Pierce, A. Harman, G. Sedgwick, W. J. Hodgson, S. Nash, E. Marley, and W. Saunders.

After the body had been viewed, the following evidence was taken:-

Sarah Ann Wickenden, widow of the deceased, and landlady of the “Eight Bells” public house, New Street, said: The deceased is 53 years of age. He has been in the Army in the 50th Regiment, but left some years ago. Last Sunday afternoon, about 4 o'clock he left the “Eight Bells” to go to Mr. Dolbear's, Leighton Road. I did not see him again till I saw him about 8.30. I was in my house, and I heard a noise. I went out and I saw my husband surrounded by a number of boys, who were holding him up. I did not know then that it was my husband, so I went indoors. About ten minutes afterwards someone knocked at the door. I went to the door, and saw my husband on his hands and knees. The boys had disappeared. Mr. Walker assisted my husband in the door. I could see that his leg was broken. I sent for a cab and took him to the hospital. He said his leg was broken. He said he had fallen down but did not blame anyone. He remained in the Hospital till Wednesday, when Mr. Patmore came to me and said that my husband was delirious and would have to be removed. He was then removed to the Workhouse. Recently he has been quite well. He was not an excessive drinker. The deceased had been a good worker, having good references from all his places.

James Dolbear, landlord of the “Plough Inn,” London Road, said: I live at Leighton Road. On Sunday afternoon the deceased came to my house about 4.30. he stopped till about 6 o'clock, when he came up to the “Plough” with me. He seemed quite well. He left the “Plough” about 7.15. he was quite sober. He was an intimate friend of mine. He had some drink in the “Plough,” but he could not finish it. I thought he was a little queer then. The next I heard of him was that he was in the Hospital, which I was surprised to hear. On Monday afternoon about 2.15 I went to the Hospital, and saw the deceased. He was delirious, but he recognised me, and said that he did not know how the accident happened, beyond that he fell down. He did not complain about being knocked about. He had never drunk very much to my knowledge.

The Coroner (to the Police): Have any enquiries been made about the youths?

Detective Mount: I made enquiries in five different streets this morning, but could not find any of them.

William Walker, a labourer, lodging at the “Eight bells,” said: On Sunday evening I was returning to the “Eight Bells” when I saw a number of boys run out of the house. When I came they ran away and I then saw the deceased lying on the ground. I went to him and lifted him up. I opened the door and helped to get him inside. He complained of his leg. He said he had fallen down.

The Coroner: What were the boys doing?

Witness: Well, it looked very funny to me. They scampered off very quickly when I got there.

Dr. E. Elliot, Medical officer at the Workhouse Infirmary, said: Arrangements were made on Tuesday for the removal of the deceased from the Hospital to the Workhouse. He was admitted to the Workhouse on Wednesday evening. He had a broken leg just about the ankle, and he was suffering from delirium tremens. He remained in the same condition, and died suddenly of heart failure on Thursday evening. I do not think that the delirium tremens could have been caused by the accident alone.

Mr. Dolbear: Did you examine his head? Were there any bruises at the back of his head?

Witness: No.

Was there anything on the front part of the face?

He was scratched about his face.

Do you think it was caused by a heavy fall or by gravel rash?

By gravel rash.

Nurse Margaret Preston said: I am a nurse at the workhouse. The deceased was brought to my ward on Wednesday evening about 8 o'clock. He was placed in bed. He was very delirious. His condition did not change at all. He died at 8.50 on Thursday night. He was not conscious at any time.

The Police stated that they had no evidence to offer, as they had no report of the matter until they heard of the man's death.

The Jury returned a verdict that the deceased died through heart failure, following the delirium tremens, and a fractured leg caused by falling down in the street.


From the Dover Express. Friday 10 April 1908.


The "Eight Bells," New Street was transferred from Sarah Ann Wickenden to Walter Drury, of Maxton, drayman.

In reference to the transfer of the "Eight Bells," New Street, the Mayor asked if the new tenant was aware not only of the difficulty of conducting an ordinary licence, but of this particular house, which was a common lodging house.

The applicant, who had been a drayman at the Diamond Brewery for 14 years, said he was.


From the Dover Express. September 1910.

Shammed Illness.

At the Dover Police Court on Tuesday William Frederick Knell was charged with being drunk on licensed premises “The Eight Bells” New Street, and further with assaulting the landlord Mr. Drury by striking him. The prisoner sat down while the evidence was taken and appeared to be in a state of collapse. Dr. Elliot said he and the other medical men had the man under observation for a week and they found he had been malingering. He was all right the previous night and there was no doubt that he was “putting on” all these fits.

Walter Drury landlord of the “Eight Bells” said on Friday September 24th, prisoner who had slept at the house the night before came into the kitchen where witness was doing some lime washing. Prisoner complained about the kettle being on the fire and said he wanted to fry some fish. Witness was standing with one foot on the table and the other on some steps and when he declined to take the kettle away prisoner struck him knocking him to the ground. The man was the worse for drink but he had not had the liquor in the Eight Bells. Witness sent for a constable and gave the man in charge. P.C. Husk said he was called to the house and in the kitchen he saw the prisoner and Mr. Drury who was bleeding from the face and also had a black eye. When arrested prisoner became very violent and had to be handcuffed and taken to the Police Station on an ambulance. When searched 10s 6d was found on him. The Mayor said he noticed prisoner had over 50 convictions against him. He had not missed being convicted either one or more times annually from 1878 to the present time. He would be fined 1.3s. 6d inclusive of costs and allowed a fortnight to pay.


Information kindly supplied by Joyce Banks.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, 3 February, 1911.



This was a notice of objection to the Eight Bells, New Street occupied by Mr. Walter Drury, on the ground of redundancy.

Chief Constable Fox said he had given notice of objection to the licence of this house, the "Eight Bells," New Street. It was fully licensed, a common lodging house, and situated in New Street. The owners were Messrs. T. Phillips and Co., Dover and West Malling. The present tenant was Walter Drury, and the licence was transferred to him on February 3rd, 1908.The rateable value was 36 gross, 29 net. The licences in the immediate neighbourhood were the "Prince of Orange," opposite, 15 yards; the side door to the "Metropole," 31 yards; the "Rose," Cannon Street, 45 yards; the "Wellington," Biggin Street, 67 yards; the "Marquis of Anglesey," York Street, 88 yards; the "New Inn," York Street, 92 yards; and the "Crown Inn," Military Road, 132 yards. The frontage was 50ft, and the accommodation a public bar, private bar, two private rooms on the ground floor, one large kitchen for lodgers, five bedrooms used by lodgers, accommodation 30 beds, also a very large cellar. The property was very old, and clean considering the old property it is. The renewal of the licence was not required on the grounds of redundancy.

Cross-examined by Mr. Mowll. The landlord had been there three years , and he kept the premises clean, and there was nothing to say against the tenant, who had conducted the house very well, although it was a difficult business to manage. There was no reason to select this particular house. It was a neighbourhood where they could select another later.

The Magistrates' Clerk: It is a common lodging house?

Witness: Yes, that is one ground.

Inspector Lockwood said that at 10.20 a.m. on Thursday, 19th January, he visited the "Eight Bells," and found two customers. At 8.45 p.m. on Saturday the 21st, there was one customer, at 11.30 a.m. on Monday, 23rd, no customers; at 2.40 p.m., on Wednesday, 25th, no customers; at 5.05 p.m. on Tuesday, 31st, no customers; on Friday February 3rd, at 6.55 p.m., two customers.

Cross-examined: After the first two men saw you they did not come again. Do you not think that harrying these people like this is rather hard? - They did not know we were coming.

Mr. Mowll, addressing the Bench in regard to the cases, said that in regard to the last two the brewers were prepared to resign themselves to their fate. In regard to the first two, different considerations applied. In regard to the "Eight Bells," it was a lodging house, where there were 30 beds, and the evidence was that the tenant had conducted the place well and kept it clean. These were very useful assets in regard to a man who was conducting a common lodging house. It was most desirable that they should be in the hands of those who conduct them in clean, respectable manner. Of course some might say it could still be conducted as a common lodging house after the licence had been taken away, but people who use these houses generally went there where they could have the facilities they had had in the past. There was another aspect. This man had paid a very substantial valuation to go in, and he would not get that valuation back. A tenant going out was entitled to receive more compensation by the Act and do nothing in respect to beds and the furniture of the premises, which were not strictly assets to the licensed premises, and all he would get would be the price they would fetch by auction, and the difference between the valuation given and the auction price would be a considerable one. In regard to the "Albion," it was difficult to understand how it could be selected again. Only two years had lapsed since they had the fact before them that the "Albion" was doing a very good trade, but they decided to schedule the house for compensation. But when the compensation authorities were face to face with the figures and saw the trade the "Albion" were doing, they said "No; this is too expensive a house," and the licence was renewed. Since then the "Neptune Hall," another house in the same locality, had had its licence taken away, and therefore the compensation of the "Albion" were fewer now than when the Quarter Sessions renewed their licence. If this house were scheduled it would no doubt mean that a very sustainable trade would go to someone else. Was it fair that a tenant described by the police as an admirable one, who had worked up this trade which had increased from what it was two years ago, should have his licence taken away. They had evidence that the house was doing not a small trade, but a large trade. How absurd it was to take away such a licence on the ground that it was unnecessary.

The Magistrates without retiring, stated that the house would be sent forward to the Compensation Authorities to deal with.


From Dover Express 21 July 1911.


The East Kent Licensing Compensation Authority on Wednesday confirmed the decision of the Magistrates at Dover as to the closing under compensation awards of the "Eight Bells," New Street, the "Clarence Inn," Council House Street, and the "Mechanic's Arms," Strond Street.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 13 November, 1933. Price 1d.


The Dover Quarter Sessions were held on Monday, at the Town Hall, before the Recorder (Sir Archibald Bodkin, K.C.B.). It was the first occasion that the Sessions had sat since the abolition of Grand Juries Attempted Burglary in Snargate Street.

Frederick George Mussett, 27, a miner, of the “Eight Bells” common lodging house, was charged with attempting burglary, on September 16th, at the shop of John Frederick Edwards, jeweller, of 181, Snargate Street. He was further charged with being found in possession of a housebreaking implement.

Defendant pleaded guilty, and admitted a conviction for felony at Dover on November 14th, 1932.

Mr. Fletcher, who appeared for the prosecution, described how Mr. Edwards was disturbed by a noise during the night, and saw a man in the doorway. He fetched a policeman, and the prisoner was arrested. In his possession was found a piece of iron with brown marks on it, corresponding to the brown paint on the door, which had been tampered with.

Detective Sergeant Cadman read a list of Police Court convictions against Mussett, including several for stealing.

The Recorder said that it was clear that the prisoner had gone out on that night intending to break into Mr. Edward's shop and stealing what he could lay his hands on. He had been convicted on at least three previous occasions of dishonesty. He had had work in the collieries, and for a month or so this year in Jersey, which showed that he was an able-bodied workman. He had pleaded guilty to the offences in the indictment and also admitted a previous conviction for felony, which gave him (the Recorder) power to send him to penal servitude for a very long period, under a statute which was passed to prevent people of bad character from preying upon others. He was not going to take such a serious course as that, and one reason why he abstained was the fact that Mussett had been in employment this year for a short time and that perhaps he might have had difficulty in getting immediate work. He would be sentenced to imprisonment with hard labour for nine months.


Dover Express, Friday 21 January 1938.


The funeral took place on Tuesday, at Charlton Cemetery, of Mr. Edward Brewer, of the "Eight Bells," New St., Dover, whose death occurred on January 13th at the age of 64 years. The Rev C. K. Chadwick officiated, and the mourners present were Mr. G. Brewer (brother), Mrs. Tolley, Mrs. Monk and Madge. Also present were Mrs. Chidwick, Mrs. Rigden and Miss Rolfe. Floral tributes were sent as follows:—With sympathy from G. Brewer; Frank and Mrs. Monk; Reg and Audrey; Mrs. L. Bird and Madge; a few friends.

The funeral arrangements were carried out by Mr. B. J. Andrews, of 22, New St. and 34, Longfleld Rd, Dover.



JOHNSON James 1859

JOHNSON William 1859-74+ (age 61 in 1871Census) Post Office Directory 1874Kelly's 1874

Last pub licensee had HAMMOND William 1875


FITZGIBBON John 1880-June/1904 (age 59 in 1901Census) Post Office Directory 1882Post Office Directory 1891Kelly's Directory 1899Post Office Directory 1903Post Office Directory 1903Kelly's 1903Dover Express

Last pub licensee had WICKENDEN Mrs Sarah Ann June/1904+ Dover Express

Last pub licensee had WICKENDEN Stephen Smith 1904-Mar/07 dec'd Dover Express

WICKENDEN Mrs Sarah Ann 1907-Apr/08 Dover Express

DRURY WaIter Feb/1908-13 dec'd (age 38 in 1911Census) Dover Express

BIRD A 1923 Pikes 1923Pikes 1924

MARSH Mrs 1932 Pikes 1932-33

BREWER Edward to Jan/1938 dec'd


Walter Drury was a drayman from Martin before taking on he Eight Bells.

In reference to the Eight Bells, New Street, the Mayor asked if the new tenant was aware not only of the difficulty of conducting an ordinary licence, but of this particular house, which was a common lodging house.

The applicant, who had been a drayman at the Diamond Brewery for 14 years, said he was.


Kelly's 1874From the Kelly's Directory 1874

Post Office Directory 1874From the Post Office Directory 1874

Post Office Directory 1882From the Post Office Directory 1882

Post Office Directory 1891From the Post Office Directory 1891

Kelly's Directory 1899From the Kelly's Directory 1899

Post Office Directory 1903From the Post Office Directory 1901

Post Office Directory 1903From the Post Office Directory 1903

Kelly's 1903From the Kelly's Directory 1903

Pikes 1923From Pikes Dover Blue Book 1923

Pikes 1924From Pikes Dover Blue Book 1924

Pikes 1932-33From Pikes Dover Blue Book 1932-33

Dover ExpressFrom the Dover Express



If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-