Sort file:- Dover, March, 2021.

Page Updated:- Wednesday, 31 March, 2021.

PUB LIST PUBLIC HOUSES Barry Smith and Paul Skelton

Earliest 1841

Carpenter's Arms

Latest 1878

25 Peter Street (St. Peter's Street)



Travelling towards Charlton from the High Street the premises would have been on your left. Luke Stephens served in 1841 but by 1877 there were joint owners. Cottenham and Flavins Kingsford. They attempted that year to transfer the licence to Clarendon, (probably 26 Clarendon Place). They were prevented from doing so and this pub was closed the following year anyway when rowdiness and prostitution were alleged. It does not seem to have opened again. Tenants were shy of this one.


Kentish Weekly Post or Canterbury Journal 25 March 1806.


Maidstone, Wednesday, March 19.

Richard Butcher was indicted for the murder of George Farr, at Dover, by giving him several mortal blows and kicks, on the 15th of October, of which he died on the 23rd of the same month.

By the evidence of William Gee, a soldier in the Herefordshire Militia, it appeared that the Prisoner and the deceased were both private soldiers.

On the 15th of October the prisoner and deceased were playing cards, at the "Carpenter's Arms," in Dover; they quarrelled about a chalk, and they began boxing; the prisoner kicked at the deceased as well as struck him. In the third round they fell, and the prisoner's left knee fell in the belly of the deceased. He immediately cried out very much, and begged to be led out to make water; they led him to the door, but no water could pass. He begged to be laid on his back on the table, and then declared that the prisoner had killed him. - He lived a few days and then died.

The Assistant-Surgeon of the regiment proved that deceased died of an inflammation in the bladder, occasioned by external violence.

The Jury found the prisoner Guilty of Manslaughter, and he was sentenced to six months imprisonment.

(With there being several "Carpenter's Arms listed in Dover, and no address given, this may not be the premises where the above took place. I would say it was probably nearer the Snargate Street area myself.)


From the Dover Telegraph and Cinque Ports General Advertiser, Saturday 23 January, 1841. Price 5d.


Monday:- John Williams, shoemaker, was charged by Mr. Luke Stevens, of the "Carpenter's Arms," Charlton, with having violently assaulted him, on the previous Thursday evening, under the following circumstances:- It appeared that Williams and a clique of several others, who used to be constant attendants at the far-famed house known by the name of the "Black Horse," and being turned out of their old quarters, laid lately taken it into their heads to spend their evenings at the "Carpenter's Arms," and to the small annoyance of the landlord of the house, and his more peaceable customers. On Thursday evening, being again assembled, the landlord refused to draw any more liquor after eleven o'clock; when they fastened the door and remained in the room nearly an hour; committing all kinds of nuisance. At last, however, they made their exit from the window. Mr. Stevens was then standing at the front door, when Williams came up to him, and said he would go in again. On being denied admittance any more that night, Williams seized the complainant by the collar, and dragging him into the street, violently assaulted him. The Magistrates complimented Mr. Stevens for his conduct on the occasion, and for bringing the defendant to the bar of justice; adding, that they wished al the publicans in the town would do likewise. Williams was then fined in the mitigating penalty of 10s. and 10s. cost; in default of which a fortnight's imprisonment.


From the Dover Telegraph and Cinque Ports General Advertiser, Saturday 13 March, 1841. Price 5d.


On Wednesday evening  an inquest was held at the "Carpenter's Arms," Charlton, before G. T. Thompson, Esq. the borough coroner, and a respectable jury, touching the death of Samuel Young, a child about 10 weeks old, son of William Young, labourer.

Julia Ann Chapman, on being sworn, deposed that between 9 and 10 o'clock on Saturday morning, while she was hanging out some clothes, George Young, a child about 4 years old, ran out of his father's house, crying for his mother, and saying that the baby had caught light. She immediately ran into the house and found the child, who was lying before the fire, about a foot from the fender, enveloped in flames. She immediately caught the child up in her arms, and ran with it into Mrs. Spearpoint's house, were the flames were extinguished. There was a wood fire in the grate.

Mrs. Francis Spearpoint, widow, deposed that at about half-past nine o'clock on Saturday morning, hearing some screams, she went out of her house, and close to it, met the last witness with the deceased in her arms, enveloped in flames. She took the child, and the fire was extinguished. Hearing some one say that Mrs. Young's house was on fire, she gave the deceased into the hands of some one present, and went to see. On entering the house, she observed that the mat which lay before the fender was on fire, which she extinguished with some water which was boiling over the fire. There was a lighted firebrand which lay on the mat, but she could not saw whether that set it on fire. bout an hour after the accident occurred, Mrs. Young sent for Mr. Hunt, surgeon, who attended the deceased until his death, which took place on Tuesday morning. The lower extremities of the body were much burnt, and the child seemed to breath under the greatest agony till death relieved it of its sufferings. Mrs. Young was in the habit of going out frequently, and leaving the children alone.

Mrs. Young, mother of the deceased, said that on Saturday morning she left the deceased with its brother George, who is about four years old, and his sister, who is two years younger, to go to a neighbour's for some wash. She told George to take care of the child while she was gone, for she should not be absent for more than a minute. She was, however, gone about a quarter of an hour - not more. When she returned, she was told that her child was badly burnt. She had seen both of her children play with the fire, and had flogged them for it. It was a wood fire that was in the grate.

Verdict - "That the deceased died from its clothes having caught fire; but by what means they became ignited, there is no evidence before the jury."


From the Dover Express and East Kent Intelligencer, 2 December, 1865. Price 1d.


Charles Cole, a man who has on previous occasions appeared before the Bench, was charged with drunkenness and disorderly conduct, and assaulting Charles Romney, landlord of the "Carpenter's Arms," at his residence, Peter Street, Charlton.

It appeared for the statement of the complainant that defendant entered his house about a quarter past ten on the preceding night. He was in liquor, and on his calling for a pint of beer, complainant declined to draw it for him. He then began to swear and "blackguard" him, when complainant told him to go out, saying that if he did not go out quietly he would put him out. Defendant refused to go, witness commenced pushing him out of the house, when defendant struck him and knocked him down. Complainant did not push him violently. Two persons who were present pulled defendant off him. Witness's wife then sent for the police, and witness gave him in charge. On a policeman appearing defendant went with him quietly.

Cross-examined by defendant: I don't know who hit you in the eye. You were very drunk.

William Pain said he was at the "Carpenter's Arms" on the previous night. He saw the defendant come in. Defendant was drunk. He called for a pint of beer, which the landlord refused to draw for him. Defendant then began to kick up a disturbance and the landlord wanted him to leave the house. He refused to go, and the landlord told him if he did not go he should put him out. The landlord took hold of him to carry his threat into execution, when the defendant hit him in the face. They then scuffled in the passage, and both went down. Witness helped pull the landlord up, and a policeman was then sent for.

The defendant had nothing to say in answer to the charge, except that he was drunk, and knew nothing of what had occurred. He had, however, been badly knocked about as his face testified, and he trusted the Magistrates would think he was not altogether to blame.

The Magistrates considered the assault proved, and fined the defendant 10s. including costs. In default of payment, seven days' imprisonment.

The defendant paid the fine.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday 4 October, 1867.


In the case of Charles Macey, landlord of the "Carpenter's Arms," summoned for an infringement of his license by having his house open on Sunday last, during prohibited hours, the defendant did not attend, and the services of summons having been proved, the particulars of the offence were deposed of to Sergeant Stevens, after which the Magistrates inflicted a fine of 1 and costs. The wife of the defendant attended, but her excuses had no effect on the bench.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday 15 January, 1869.

Edward Groombridge, for assaulting Mrs. Pain, of the "Carpenter's Arms," Peter Street, was fined 10s. and costs; in default, he went to prison for 14 days.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday 29 September, 1871.


The "Carpenter's Arms," Peter Street, Charlton, Dover; also the "Lord Raglan," near the South-Eastern Railway Station, Folkestone. Apply to Alfred Kingsford, Buckland Brewery, Dover.


From the Dover Express and East Kent Intelligencer, 31 August, 1877. Price 1d.


The landlord was called, and told that although there had been no conviction against the house, there had been several complaints, and the Bench cautioned the landlord that a conviction  might take place if he were not more careful, in that case the Bench would suspend the licence. The license now would be granted.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday 2 November, 1877.


Emma Gatehouse was summoned on the information of Sarah Elizabeth Winter for being disorderly on the premises known as the “Carpenter's Arms,” in Peter Street, and with refusing to leave such premises when requested to do so.

Mrs. Winter said her husband kept the “Carpenters' Arms.” Last Thursday evening the defendant came to the house with a man and called for a quart of beer which they were supplied with. They sat down by the fire and complainant told them that was not allowed and requested them to leave the house. They became very abusive and would not go until a policeman was called.

Defendant stated that she was not requested to leave the house or she would have done so.

Mr. Finnis: But the complainant swears you were.

The Bench said persons holding public-house licenses were responsible for the way in which their houses were conducted, and if the defendant was requested to leave she must leave; they should impose a fine of 10s. and costs, or seven days' imprisonment.

Defendant said she would go to prison.

A voice from the gallery: Say thank you.

Defendant: I have said “thank you.”


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday 7 December, 1877.


Bernard Conley, of the 6th Regt., was charged with breaking and entering the dwelling house of Mr. S. Winter, Peter Street.

Samuel Winter said: I keep the “Carpenter's Arms” in Peter Street. The prisoner was in my house about half-past six last evening and remained till about nine. He was sober when he left. My wife locked up the house at eleven and came to bed. Shortly after eleven I heard a smash of glass, and at once struck a light and went down stairs into the tap-room, where I saw a large pane of glass broken in the top sash, which had been pulled down. I saw the prisoner crouched down in the corner of the room and asked him what he wanted there. He said it was very cold outside and he wanted to get warm so he thought he would come in. My wife then came down stairs and called to a man to fetch a policeman. The prisoner did not try to get away. I do not think he got through the broken pane but must have got over the sash and broken it with his foot. The amount of damage is about 5s. I think the man was under the influence of drink.

Mrs. Winters said the window of the tap-room, at the back of the house, was closed but not fastened. The prisoner returned about a quarter to eleven that evening and went into the tap-room. After he had been in there a few minutes he left by the back of the house.

The Superintendent said the prisoner had been two months in prison for assaulting a policeman.

The Bench sent him below for another three months.


From the Dover Express and East Kent Intelligencer, 29 March, 1878. Price 1d.


Samuel Winter was charged, on remand, for having on the 15th of March unlawfully and knowingly opened his house, the "Carpenter's Arms," for the resort of reputed prostitutes.

Mr. Worsfold Mowll defended the prisoner.

Police-sergeant Hardman deposed: On Friday, the 15th inst., at eight o'clock in the evening, in company with Police-constable Prescott, I visited the "Carpenter's Arms," in Peter Street, Charlton, kept by defendant. I there saw three prostitutes in front of the bar - two Gatehouses and another named Ratcliff. The landlady was there, and I cautioned her. She said they came in for refreshment, and were allowed twenty minutes. At a quarter past eight I was at the end of Colebran Street with Police-constable Prescott, and saw two of the same women leave the back premises and go up to the end of Colebran Street. They then came back and went into the house again. At twenty minutes past eight we visited the house again, and found the same three women in front of the bar still. I sent Prescott to the back while I remained in Peter Street, and at a quarter to nine I saw one of the three prostitutes leave the house with a soldier. I then went to the back of the "Carpenter's Arms," and at nine o'clock visited the house again, and found two of the same women I had found before in front of the bar with some soldiers.

Cross-examined by Mr. Mowll: There is a passage right through the house, from the back to the front leading into Peter Street. I am not aware that the passage is used as a short cut by the inhabitants of Peter Street. The back premises are open. There is a back yard, but it is always open. There were no seats along the front of the bar, and the women had to stand. I do not know whether the Gatehouse's friends live down Peter Street. I saw the landlady on the first occasion I went, and she told me they were allowed twenty minutes for refreshment. She told me the previous night that that information was given to her by Mr. Vidler. She did not tell me she had applied for a summons against one of these women for going into the tap-room. On the second occasion I went in, and there were two glasses of beer and one of porter standing on the bar counter.

Police-constable Prescott collaborated the Superintendent's evidence.

Mr. Mowll, in addressing the Bench in defence of his client said: He need not point out the importance of the case to the defendant, because from the policy their worship had adopted any offence committed under the Licensing Act operated to nullify the agreement, and the landlord at once got rid of the tenant who had committed the offence, and therefore the defendant might be thrown out of a house and home in consequence of that clause. He would ask them to bear in mind the position of the house, and the class of house it necessarily was. he believed he was correct in making the statement that the defendant was extremely, particular never to allow one of these unfortunate girls into the tap-room, and only to have refreshments in front of the tap-room, and only to have refreshments in front of the bar, where they remained no longer than was absolutely necessary to consume the refreshment ordered. The defendant's wife had applied at Mr. Stillwell's office a short time since for a summons against one of these girls for entering the tap-room against her orders, and was told that they had a right to enter the tap-room so long as they did not remain longer than was necessary for the purpose of consuming the refreshment they ordered. As he was instructed, on several occasions when the women came to the house they did not have any drink at all, and had only been in the house a few moments when the constable first went in, but he could not ask their worships to believe that story, although he believed the landlady was perfectly truthful in what she had instructed him.

Mr. Mowll then called Sarah Elizabeth Minter, who deposed: I am the wife of defendant, who keeps the "Carpenter's Arms." On the night in question my husband was away, and I was conducting business. There is a passage through from the front to the back of our premises, which is used as a thoroughfare. On the 15th inst., when Harman came to my house I told him I knew who I had got. Shortly afterwards two of the girls left the house, but I do not know where they went. Harman is not right in saying there were three. I do not let them to go into the tap-room. I do not allow them to sit down at all. I have been in the house a year and seven months. If the magistrates could order me not to serve these women I should be glad not to do so.

The Superintendent said there had been no previous convictions against the house.

Mr. Jones said Mr. Mowll mentioned the fact of the girls not being in the tap-room, but he had omitted to state that one of the girls was seen leaving the house with a soldier. The girls were evidently at the bar for the purpose of entrapping the soldiers as they left the house.

Mr. Mowll said that was a very strained construction to put upon the evidence. A man might meet one of the girls at the door and walk off with her, but that was no evidence of harbouring prostitutes.

Police-sergeant Harman recalled, said he saw a soldier and a woman leave the house - a red coat man and Emma Gatehouse. The woman in court who came out with the militiaman, left some time before he saw the others.

My Mr. Stilwell: He saw a militiaman and a woman come out together.

Charles Smith deposed: I am a bandsman in the Kent Artillery Militia. I use the house as a thoroughfare and generally get a glass of beer as I pass through. I have used the house many times , and have never seen the tap-room used by prostitutes.

The Bench considered the case proved, and find the defendant 40s. and costs, the license to be endorsed.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday 6 September, 1878


The annual sitting of the Dover Magistrates Licensing Committee took place on Monday at Dover, for the purpose of renewing public-house licenses, and hearing applications for new ones. The Licensing Committee consists of E. F. Astley, S. Finnis, R. Dickeson, T. E. Black, R. Rees, W. R. Mowll, and C. Stein, Esqrs. They were all present except Mr. Dickeson, who is in Cumberland.


Mr. Worsfold Mowll applied that the licence might be granted in the name of the owners until a tenant was found to the satisfaction of the Bench. They had a tenant ready to take the house, but they could not make an application that day, so he asked them as a matter of courtesy to grant it to the owner of the house until the next special Petty Sessions, when he would apply for the licence to be transferred to the tenant.

Dr. Astley said he presumed Mr. Mowll knew that a conviction was obtained against the house, and the licence endorsed for allowing the house to be the habitual resort of prostitutes.

Mr. Mowll said that was so, and directly, on the owner hearing of the case, he immediately gave notice to the tenant to quit the premises, and within a week the house was closed; and it had been since kept closed in order to get the women out of the habit of going there, so that a new tenant might have an opportunity of keeping the house respectably.

The Bench refused the application and Mr. Mowll intimated that an appeal would be made at the Quarter Sessions.




STEVENS Luke 1841+ (age 30 in 1841Census)

STEVENS Mrs Ann 1851


HUCKSTEPP Stephen 1854-58+ Melville's 1858

ROMNEY Charles 1862-Jan/67 Post Office Directory 1862Dover Express

MACEY Charles E Jan/1867-Jan/68 end Dover Express

PAIN William Jan/1868-69+ Dover Express

PALMER Henry 1871+ (age 29 in 1871Census)

SADDLETON Johnn Sept/1871-July/72 Dover Express

FORSTER Henry James July/1872+ Dover Express

RAND Stephen 1874 Post Office Directory 1874

WINTER Samuel Aug/1876-Mar/78+ Dover Express

KINSGFORD Cottenham & Flavin 1877 (owner brewers)


Melville's 1858From Melville's Directory 1858

Post Office Directory 1862From the Post Office Directory 1862

Post Office Directory 1874From the Post Office Directory 1874

Dover ExpressFrom the Dover Express



If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-