Sort file:- Dover, July, 2020.

Page Updated:- Wednesday, 22 July, 2020.

PUB LIST PUBLIC HOUSES Barry Smith and Paul Skelton

Earliest 1848

Sailor's Arms

Latest 1858

(Name to)

New Street


Above map 1871, showing the "Rose Inn," (yellow) the "Saracens Head" (blue) the "Prince of Orange," (orange) the "Royal Oak," (green) and the "Sailors Arms," (red)


I would have liked to see this sign. A beerhouse of 1848-58 on the opposite side to the "Prince of Orange". Come 1859 it was called the "Eight Bells" but still run by the Johnson family.


From the Dover Telegraph and Cinque Ports General Advertiser, Saturday 23 December, 1848. Price 5d.


Bridget Smith was charged with stealing a shawl, value 6d., the property of Rachel Simpson, who deposed that on Friday she left the shawl on the bed in the room, which she occupied at the "Sailor's Arms" in New Street. Shortly after she saw prisoner, who slept  in the same room, go upstairs and subsequently found the shawl was missing.

Edward Symonds deposed that on Sunday morning prisoner came to his shop in Market-Lane, and offered the shawl for sale, and he gave her a gown, worth 1s. 6d., and sixpence for it. There were holes in the shawl which he had repaired. I asked her if the shawl was her property, and she replied it was.

Prisoner, who said nothing in defence, was then committed for trial.


South Eastern Gazette 03 August 1852.


On Friday night, at about half-past eleven o'clock, the inhabitants of New-street, and its neighbourhood were alarmed by cries of "Murder", and calls for assistance proceeding from a low house in New-street, called the "Sailor's Arms," and which continued for a considerable time. On the police reaching the spot it was found that a riot had broken out amongst the lodgers, many had risen from their beds to fight in their night clothes, and that one man was seriously injured on the head, having a wound produced by a violent blow with a jug. One of the wretches, an Irishman, had actually seized him on the shoulder with his teeth, and gnawed it as a dog would a bone. The poor fellow was of course much hurt. By the police, quiet was restored. He had found nine women and seven men fighting furiously, most of whom were either entirely or almost in a state of nudity. Such occurrences are not unusual at this house.


From the Dover Telegraph and Cinque Ports General Advertiser, Saturday 9 February, 1856. Price 5d.


Margaret Brown, something of a mulatte (of mixed race) was brought up on suspicion of felony. It appeared that she had offered four shoe brushes for sale to the landlord of the "Sailors' Arms," in New Street, who, suspecting they were stolen, gave her 8d. for them, and informed the police of the circumstances. Sergeant Geddes succeeded in finding the woman at the "Red Lion," and took her into custody. In reply to the Bench, Brown said she bought the brushes of some man, unknown at Canterbury. This account did not satisfy the Bench, who remanded her until Friday, it being the impression of the police that the brushes had been stolen from some area in Dover.


South Eastern Gazette 18 November 1856.


Yesterday week, a young woman named Mary Ludlow, a hawker, made application at the Dover Hospital for assistance in her confinement; when Mr. Jarrett, the manager and one of the governors of the institution, who happened to be present, seeing the precarious condition in which she evidently was, sent for a fly to convey her to her lodgings, the "Sailors' Arms." While waiting she sunk down on the hospital steps, and Dr. Astley coming up ordered her to be removed inside, where in about ten minutes she gave birth to a sturdy boy, the third illegitimate child of the same mother, who is still only twenty years of age.


From the Dover Telegraph and Cinque Ports General Advertiser, Saturday 23 January, 1858. Price 5d.


John Hickman, alias Horsfield, apprehended by police constables Smith and Bayley, on suspicion of being a deserter from the 2nd Battalion of Foot at Shornecliffe.

Police constable Henry Smith: I took the prisoner into custody at the "Sailors' Arms" in New Street. He was taken from information given by a young man named Burns, who while in the "Sailors' Arms" heard prisoner expected to be "nabbed" before morning, as he had been a soldier. When apprehended, he denied being a deserter from the 2nd Foot, but said he might as well have him as any body else, as he expected to be taken before morning. He also said he had been a soldier, but that he must find out what he belonged to. Some false hair was attached to the side of his cap on both sides, which, when the cap was being worn, gave him the appearance of having long locks of hair on each side of his face; but on the cap being removed, it is seen that his hair is closely cut, as that of a soldier. I also found some hair in his pocket. I have heard read the description of John Horsfield, a deserter from the 2nd Battalion of Foot, and prisoner answers to that description.

Prisoner, in defence said: I am not a soldier, nor ever was I one in my life.

Ordered to be detained until the War Office had been communicated with.


From the Dover Telegraph and Cinque Ports General Advertiser, 6 February, 1858. Price 1d.


Friday: Before Capt. Noble and E, Sibbit, Esq.

George Williams, charged with having in his possession two cotton shirts, without accounting satisfactorily for their possession, and also with assaulting the police. He was taken into custody at the "Sailor's Arms," but at the station a woman came and stated that Williams did not steal the shirts, but was only instructed to sell them for the man who did steal them. The shirts were sold for 8d., and that excited suspicion that they were dishonestly obtained; but as no evidence of a felony was forthcoming, the charge of assaulting the police was proceeded with, and Williams fined 1, including costs, and in default, imprisoned for a week.


From The Dover Express, Saturday, August 07, 1858.


Wednesday. (Before James Worsfold, Esq.)

BUTTONLESS. - WILLIAM SMITH, a man of soldierly appearance, dressed in mutilated regimentals, was brought up by Police Constable Barton, on suspicion of desertion from the 90th Regiment, quartered at Canterbury.

Barton said that on the previous day he received an intimation which induced him to go to the "Sailor's Arms" public-house, New Street, where he found the prisoner in a state of drunkenness. All the ordinary traces of identification were removed from his clothing, the number of the regiment having been cut out of the shoes and hose, and the buttons removed from the coat, etc. The facings were those of the 90th, and as that regiment was quartered at Canterbury it was considered probable that the prisoner had deserted from that city and made his way to Dover.

The prisoner denied that he had ever been a soldier, but did not account for his possession of the uniform he was wearing.

Remanded till Friday.


From the Dover Express and East Kent Intelligencer, Friday 4 December 1858.


Mary Ann Lyons, a little girl, very rugged and dirty, the child of a vagrant of the sister isle, who also presented a detestably filthy and squalid appearance, and who was told by the magistrate - whether on account of his dirt or rags or not it is not possible to say - that he should have "known him for an Irishman out of 5,000," was placed at the bar by Sergeant Geddes charged with robbing another little girl names Ruth Duff, of 6d. The latter at appeared had been sent into the country to sell herrings on the previous day, when the prisoner, a sharp little thing, managed, although much younger, to draw her into conversation, and while off her guard to snatch from her pocket the coin named. The magistrates asked a few preliminary questions of the girl Duff, who is about twelve years of age, in order to test the truth of her statement, and she was then sworn upon the following testimony:-

Ruth Duff said she went to Frith Farm, on her way to Guston, on the previous day, to sell herrings. Upon the road she met the prisoner, who spoke to her just before getting to the farm, and in reply witness told her she was going to Guston. At the farm she sold sixpennyworth of herrings, and put the sixpence she received for them into her pocket. The prisoner was near her at the time, and was able to see what she did with the money. After getting away from the house the prisoner caught hold of witness's dress and put her hand into her pocket, but withdrew it immediately and then ran away. On feeling in her pocket witness found that the sixpence was gone. She called after the prisoner, who ran away very fast in the direction of Dover. When witness got home she told her mother. She had never seen the prisoner before, but was sure she was the same girl who took the sixpence out of her pocket.

George Gedds, of the Dover police, said he apprehended the prisoner at the "Sailor's Arms" public house, in New Street, on the previous evening. On that day (Tuesday) she had told him at the stationhouse that she gave her father sixpence on the day previous.

The girl Duff, re-called, said the prisoner, at the time of committing the robbery, asked her "what she had given for her pretty new pinafore?"

In defence the prisoner said that half of Duff's statement was untrue. She admitted being with her on the previous day, but she was sure she "saw nothink of no sixpence." An officer gave her sixpence upon "her crossing" opposite the New Bridge, the preceding afternoon, and that was what she had given to her father.

This statement did not bear the test of cross-examination; and the Bench, who declared themselves fully satisfied of the prisoner's guilt, sentenced her to a month in the House of Correction, with hard labour.




HINES Henry 1849

FAIR Frederick 1852-54 end

JOHNSON Mrs Emma 1854-57

JOHNSON Miss Ann 1858


If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-