Sort file:- Dover, September, 2021.

Page Updated:- Wednesday, 29 September, 2021.

PUB LIST PUBLIC HOUSES Barry Smith and Paul Skelton

Earliest 1847-

Duke of Cambridge

Latest 1913

72 Snargate Street Post Office Directory 1874


Duke of Cambridge

Above photo, date unknown, kindly sent by Paul Wells.

Duke of Cambridge

The western docks, in 1880, with Snargate Street in the foreground showing some of the properties swept away when Commercial Quay was enlarged. The buildings now gone include those of the Duke of Cambridge Inn, left, (marked with an X), The Grand Shaft Inn, the Mitre Hotel and Bishop, the Ironmonger.


On the east side, facing the Grand Shaft; there were no less than four public houses - the "Mitre." the "Lord Roberts," the "Duke of Cambridge" and the "Duke of York," These houses were attacked by the Dover Temperance Council in 1895 when it was hoped by the precedent of the Sharp and Wakefield case, to get some of them closed on the ground that they were not all needed by the general public. Mr Boulter, a chimney sweep, who lived next door to the "Duke of Cambridge," was the nominal objector. Owing to his objection, the "Duke of Cambridge" licence was refused at the Dover Licensing sessions, but, on appeal to the East Kent Quarter Sessions, the licence was renewed, and Mr Boulter was ordered to pay the costs.


Backed by the Temperance Party throughout England, Mr Boulter appealed against that order, and the case was carried, in his name, through all the superior Courts to the House of Lords, when he succeeded on the question of costs. Mr Boulter, who was an aged man at the time, died in 1898. "The Duke of Cambridge" was closed in 1912; "The Duke of York" went six years earlier; "The Lord Roberts" in 1913; whilst "The Mitre" crossed the road when alterations were made in 1930.

Information taken from John Bavington-Jones' book "A Perambulation of the Town, Port and Fortress of Dover", 1906. (Reprint in The South Kent Gazette, March 5th, 1980.)


This faced the grand shaft which led to the barracks above and was an outlet of Kingsford, which, by 1895, had passed to George Beer. It must be said though, that in 1864, Weston appears to own it.


Bagshar's directory of 1847 mentions an eating house at 72 Snargate Street, although doesn't give a name, other than the proprietor being a Zacharia Simmonds. That dates this address to before the Duke of Cambridge being a drinking establishment. Bagshaw's Directory 1847


The magistrate refused to renew the license when Mr. Evans applied for one in 1878 saying "the house did not possess the requisite accommodation," but I do have a succession of licensees there during 1880, if the records are correct.


From the Dover Express and East Kent Intelligencer, 12 February, 1880. Price 1d.


John Booth and John Stokes, labourers, were charged with stealing from the “Duke of Cambridge” public-house, Snargate Street, four china spirit barrels, five pictures in frames, one looking glass, one chair, one Kidderminster carpet, one toilet cover, two basins, two jugs, two chambers, three half-pint glasses, and two jugs, and several other small articles to the value of about 3.

Mr. Mowll appeared on behalf of the prosecution.
Edwin Fenn, clerk to Messrs. Worsfold and Hayward , market Square, Dover said: I went to the “Duke of Cambridge” public-house with a gentleman on the 29th January, for the purpose of showing him over it. I saw the things produced in the house, and in particular the pictures and china barrels. The house has been lately unoccupied. I locked all the house up and brought the key away. On the 2nd of February I went again with another gentleman for the purpose of showing him over, when, on opening the front door, I saw the back door was open, also the grating which leads from the yard into the cellar was taken away and placed on the other side of the yard against the wall. I missed some of the things , so I gave information to Messrs. Worsfold and Hayward, and the Superintendent of Police.

Superintendent Sanders said: From what I heard last night, I, in company of Sergeant Hemmings, went to Stokes's house at medway Cottages, between 11 and 12 o'clock. He was not in, so we waited for him till he did come, which was about 12. I asked him if he would allow me to look over his house. He gave me permission and said he had nothing except what belonged to him. I searched the house, and in the washroom found the stone jar now produced, and the name Kingsford, wine and spirit merchant, Dover, on it. I asked him where he got it, and he said amongst some other things be bought at a house on Waterloo Crescent. Afterward he said he got it from Mr. Joyce, at Buckland. We then left and went direct to 6, Chapel Court, Snargate Street, and remained in the vicinity until half-past five, when Sergeant Hemmings tapped at the bedroom window and was answered by a female. The Sergeant asked for Mr. Booth, who soon after came to the upstair window and asked what we wanted. Hemmings said who we were, and said we wanted to speak to him, and asked him to come downstairs. He said come again tomorrow, and he shut the window. I then got the assistance of two constables and a sergeant in uniform. I places Police-constable William Cadman at the door, and directed him to knock again, which he did, and prisoner again came to the window with a chamber in his hand and threatened to throw it at us if we didn't go away. He used very obscene and abusive language. I told him I should not go away until he came down. He reached out of the window and threw an earthenware pot at Cadman which struck him on the shoulder, and then the prisoner threw a water bottle which struck the same policeman on the helmet. We remained an hour and a quarter waiting for the prisoner tom open the door, and during that time the prisoner Stokes came up the passage within five or six yards of us, and then said “Oh!” and was making off, only Sergeant Hammings stopped him and said he should charge him with being concerned along with the prisoner Booth in a robbery of furniture, &c. , from the “Duke of Cambridge” public-house, Snargate Street. Stokes said he had come up to wake the prisoner Booth to go to work. Shortly after the prisoner Booth opened the door and we arrested him. I gave the two prisoners into the custody of the two constables, and Sergeant Hemmings and myself went and searched the house, finding in the sitting-room cupboard, four spirit barrels, two basins, the toilet cover, and two chambers. I then sent the prisoners to the station, and we made a further search finding in the same room the Kidderminster carpet, one chair, a bedroom looking glass, five pictures in frames, and on a shelf up the stairs, three drinking glasses and two jugs. All those produced are the same. I had the things removed to the Police-station, where I went and charged the prisoners with stealing the goods. Stokes said he knew nothing about it, except that he was going to call the man up. Booth expressed the wish that he had killed Cadman. All the goods have been identified by one of the clerks of Messrs. Worsfold and Hayward, auctioneers, Dover, as some of the goods belonging to the “Duke of Cambridge,” public-house, which is unoccupied.

A remand was asked for and granted by the Bench till Tuesday, 17th February.


From the Dover Express and East Kent Intelligencer, 20 February, 1880. Price 1d.


John Booth and John Stokes, labourers, were brought up on remand charged with stealing from the “Duke of Cambridge” public-house, Snargate Street, on or about the 2nd instant, four china spirit barrels, five pictures in frames, one looking-glass, one chair, one Kiderminster carpet, one toilet cover, two basins, two jugs, two chambers, three half-pint glasses, and several other articles to the value of about 3, the property of Messrs. Kingsford Bros., brewers, Dover.

Mr. Worsfold Mowll appeared for the prosecution.

The evidence of Edwin Finn, clerk of Messrs. Worsfold and Hayward, Dover and Superintendent Sanders was then read and confirmed, which was reported in our last week's edition.

Henry Hayward, of the firm Messrs. Worsfold and Hayward, auctioneers and valuers, Market Square, Dover, said: I made an inventory of the contents of the “Duke of Cambridge” public-house in July last year, as I had the letting of it. On the 26th of last month I checked the inventory and value of the contents. I have looked at the articles previously produced and find they all correspond with similar articles described in my inventory. I can positively identify the four china spirit barrels and one of the pictures, a milkmaid. It was my clerk's duty to show people over the house for the purpose of letting it. The things missing altogether are valued at about 15.

Henry Wellard, a labourer working for Mr. Still, contractor, and living at Paris Yard, said: I know the two prisoners by sight. Last Sunday week I saw them at the “Duke of York” public-house. Snargate Street, about dinner time and again in the evening when I went. On the latter occasion I heard booth say to the landlord that he had some things for sale, and the landlord replied that he did not buy on Sundays. Stokes said to Booth, “If you have got anything for sale speak to the man (meaning the landlord) in the morning.” That is all I know as I was not listening to their conversation.

Henry James Pritchards, landlord of the “Duke of York,” Snargate Street, said: I know the prisoners as customers of mine since I took the house on quarter day, the 6th of January last. I attended a sale at the “Providence” public-house and bid for some spirit barrels, but did not purchase them. I recollect saying a short time after to some men in the bar that I had attended the sale and bid for some spirit barrels, but Mr. Young of “Neptune's Hall” had bought them. I remember there were five or six in the bar, but did not notice the two prisoners as being amongst them, but from what I have heard since I believe they must have been. The prisoners came to my house on Sunday week at dinner time and in the evening, each time together, when Booth told me he had something that would suit me. I said I didn't do business on Sundays. Stokes said, “talk to the man in the morning.” There was a lot of whispering between the two prisoners. They remained till shut up time, 10 o'clock. I heard they were apprehended next day.

Edward Finn, of the firm Messrs. Worsfold and Hayward, said: The bottle produced, which the Superintendent said had been found at Stokes's house, was similar to those of the “Duke of Cambridge.”

James Joyse said: I am landlord of the “Rose and Crown” public-house, Buckland. The bottle produced I have never sold to the prisoner Stokes. I never dealt with Messrs. Kingsford Bros., but with Mr. Court. I have sold Stokes several other things, but believe no bottles in baskets like the one produced.

The prisoner Booth made no reply in answer to the charge.

Prisoner Stokes said: I know nothing whatever about this affair. I went to call Stokes in the morning as usual and I knew nothing of what he had in his house that did not belong to him. My daughter and another woman who lodges with us knows better how the bottle came into my house.

The prisoner called on behalf of the defence, Mrs. Jane Cox, who said: I live as a lodger with the prisoner Stokes, and have done so since April last. I have seen the bottle produced in the houses ever since I came as a lodger. I saw it before Stokes came out of prison in November last. I believe his wife brought it home. I was not well and did not come to court last week. On Monday week the prisoner's daughter said, in answer to my missing it, that the bottle had been taken away by the police. I did not know why Stokes was locked up.
The bench dismissed the prisoner Stokes and committed Booth to the Quarter Sessions.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday 16 April, 1880.


John Booth, labourer, was charged with stealing from the “Duke of Cambridge” public-house , Snargate Street, four china spirit barrels, one Kidderminster carpet, two basins, one arm chair, one looking glass, five pictures with frames, and several other small articles to the value of 6 16s., the property of Messrs. Kingsford Bros., brewers, Dover, between the dates of the 29th of January and 2nd February last.

The prisoner pleaded “Not Guilty.”

Mr. Croft prosecuted.

Mr. Henry Hayward, of the firm Worsfold and Hayward, auctioneers, valuers, and estate agents, Market Square, Dover, said: Last July Messrs. Kingsford Bros. made us agents for the letting of the public-house called the “Duke of Cambridge,” Snargate Street. An inventory was at once made on the contents of the house, and amongst them all those mentioned in the charge. I can identify the spirit barrels, the arm chair, and one of the pictures produced. I saw them on the 26th of January last.

Edwin Fenn, clerk to the previous witness, said: On the 29th of January last I went to the “Duke of Cambridge” with a gentleman to show him over the house. It was then untenanted. When we left I locked all the doors. On Monday, 2nd February, I went with another gentleman. I opened the front door with a key and then saw the back door was open and the grating which leads to the cellar at the back pulled up. A man could get down from the cellar up the kitchen stairs. I missed the barrels and other things, but did not know what they were. I gave information to the Police.

Henry James Richards said: I am landlord of the “Duke of York.” The prisoner was in the habit of using my house. On Sunday, 1st February, the prisoner and another man names Stokes came into my house, and whilst there the prisoner said he had something that would just suit me. I told him I bought nothing on Sunday. Stokes then said to Booth “talk to him,” meaning myself, “another time.”

By the prisoner: My house is next door to the “Duke of Cambridge.” I said I would but anything in a legal way, but not on Sunday.

Superintendent Sanders said: On Sunday, the 8th February, I went to the house of a man named Stokes at 11 o'clock at night. He was not in, but he came soon after. We searched the house and found one spirit jar with the name of Kingsford Bros. on it, and from there we went to 6, Chapel Court, the prisoner's residence. We arrived about half-past eleven and stopped till five, and then I told Police-sergeant Hemmings who was with me to tap at the window. He did so, and a woman came to the window, and Hemmings said we wanted to see Booth, the prisoner came to the window, but told us to come tomorrow. Hemmings told him who we were. The prisoner shut the window. I then got the assistance of two constables in uniform, and Police-constable Cadman was one of them. I told Cadman to tap at the door, and in answer the prisoner came to the window and said if we didn't go he would empty the chamber over us. We knocked again and the prisoner threw a soap dish and a bottle at us, the latter hitting Cadman on the shoulder. The prisoner came down soon after and let us in. We searched the house and found four barrels, two jugs, one chair, one Kidderminster carpet, five pictures, one looking glass, three drinking glasses, and other small articles. Stokes had come up the passage, but on seeing us was about to go back when I had him apprehended. We took them both to the station, and they were charged with stealing the goods produced. Booth (the prisoner) said Stokes knew nothing about the robbery. Stokes has been dismissed since by the Magistrates. The prisoner has been sentenced to six weeks' for assaulting a policeman. The “Duke of Cambridge” public-house is about 60 yards from where prisoner lives.

The prisoner, I his defence, said they were left at his house whilst he was at work, and he didn't know who left them. The man told his wife to tell him (the prisoner) to sell them for him. He had not seen the man since.

The Jury returned a verdict of “Guilty.”

The Superintendent said the prisoner was convicted in April, 1876, for stealing, and was sentenced to 10 months' imprisonment.

The Recorder sentenced the prisoner to a further term of imprisonment of 10 months.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 20 June, 1890.


Mr. Spain applied on behalf of Mr. Charles Wallis for permission to draw at the “Duke of Cambridge,” the outgoing tenant being Mr. Thomas Goulden. It was adjourned till to-day.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 28 August, 1891. Price 1d.


The renewal of this license was objected to by the Temperance Council, and it stood out of the ordinary list.


The Magistrates' Clerk said the Magistrates would next proceed to consider the objections to the houses standing over.


The license of this house was also objected to by Mr. Mark Knowles on behalf of the Temperance Council, and notices had been duly served, but he said he would not go into the case fully, so as not to occupy the time of the Court. The case was well within the knowledge of the Court, and they had the power to deal with it.

The Magistrates' Clerk: You must go on and prove your notice or abandon it.

Mr. Knowles: Then I will withdraw. I do not wish to increase the agony.

The Mayor said: I will now read the decisions of the Magistrates in the following cases:-

The “Duke of Cambridge,” license granted.



At the Sessions of 1895 the licence renewal was refused because an objection was made by 8 resident in the street. When that was later ruled out of order and he was asked for costs he appealed to the House of Lords and they decided, on 26 July 1897, that any inhabitant who objects before the annual licensing meeting to the renewal of a pub's licence, would not be liable to pay the costs of the case.


Mrs. Weston was the proprietor at that time, when her defence presented it as a well established and respectable house. Whatever it was, history was made that year. The licensee's life was no bed of roses as William Beer found when he kept this pub from 1898 to 1901. He always retained his job as a miner because he maintained that without other employment a living was not possible.


When you consider that of seven consecutive houses facing the Grand Shaft Barracks, five were licensed, and within thirty yards, on the other side of the street were "York House" and the "Ordnance" who could disagree. If anyone should, he could always draw attention to the dozen pubs, all within two hundred yards which existed on Commercial Quay.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday 13 May, 1904.


The license of the "Duke of Cambridge" was temporarily transferred from Mr. Harmer to Mr. T. A. Olver formerly of the "Granville Inn," Folkestone, and an ex-Navy man. At present he is employed by Messrs. Pearson and Son Ltd.



In the event the pub did well to survive until 1912. That year however the licence was withheld and it was referred to the Compensation Authority, although the licensee, Miss Jane Kennett was mentioned as having the pub in the 1913 Post Office Directory.


I have no figures for that particular year but there is little doubt that was the end. Which brings to mind an earlier date which could have spelt curtains. That was January 1908, when a passer by noted smoke and raised the alarm. Miss Kennett the hostess made a habit of sleeping at the "George Hotel" so was not on the premises. The building was saved but the bar parlour was destroyed.


From the Dover Express. 3 January 1908.

Fire in Snargate Street.

Narrow Escape of the Duke of Cambridge.

Early yesterday morning about three o'clock, Mr. Martin of 22 Commercial Quay, who was getting up to attend to the morning boat perceived that the bar parlour of the Duke of Cambridge public house was in flames. He at once ran up Snargate Street and met Police Constable Potts who sent for the hose reel from Queen Street, and proceeded to the outbreak himself. On arriving he got through Mr. Martin's house and burst open the back door of the public house. He found that there was no one on the premises but that the parlour was well alight. The hose reel arrived shortly afterwards and a standpipe was fixed in Commercial Quay. A good supply of water was obtained and the fire soon got under. Meanwhile the hose reel from the Pier Fire Station arrived. Inspector Fox, and a number of constables were soon present. It seems that the landlady Mrs Kennett does not sleep on the premises, but at the George Hotel, which is kept by relatives. When she left the house there was a large fire in the bar parlour, and for safety's sake the carpet in front of the fire was rolled. A cinder must however have got out on the floor and set the boards alight. The fire was quickly extinguished but the bar parlour was practically gutted, the floor boards and the thick joists being burnt through, so that it was not safe to stand on them. But before Mr. Martin giving the alarm there is no doubt that the fire would have gained such hold that the house would have been burnt down.


From the Folkestone Express, Saturday, 17 August, 1911.



A meeting of the East Kent Licensing Compensation Authority was held at the Sessions House, Longport, Canterbury, on Wednesday, under the chairmanship of the Right Hon, Lord Harris. No objections were raised to the abandonment of the following licenses, the renewals of which were accordingly refused:- “Duke of Cambridge, Snargate Street, Dover, (Jane Kennett).


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 26 January, 1912.


The Magistrate are asking that the following houses shall be remitted to the Licensing Compensation Authority, with a view to the licenses being taken away and the owners and tenants compensated: The “Duke of Cambridge,” Free House, Snargate Street, opposite the Grand Shaft. It was in a previous objection to this licence that the celebrated test case so well known in the licensing law took place.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 9 February , 1912.


The annual licensing sessions were held at the Town Hall on Monday at noon, before the following Magistrates:- The Mayor (Councillor W. Bromley), Sir William Crundall, Messrs. E. Chitty, T. A. Terson, and J. L. Bradley.


There was a similar notice of objection in regard the “Duke of Cambridge,” Snargate Street (occupied by Miss Lucy Kennett).

Chief Inspector Lockwood stated that he visited the house on the same dates as in the previous case, and found no customers on any occasion.

The Chief Constable stated that the house belonged to the Dover Harbour Board, and was tenanted by Miss Kennett, to whom the licence was transferred on 1st June, 1906. The rateable value was 25 gross and 20 net. The licensed houses in the vicinity were the “Lord Roberts,” 11 yards away; the “Mitre,” 24 yards; the “York,” 27 yards; the “Ordnance,” 60 yards; the “Golden Anchor,” 50 yards; the “Standard,” 50 yards; the “New Commercial Quay,” 66 yards; the “Union,” 83 yards; and the “Barley Mow,” 86 yards.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, 9 February, 1912.



There was a notice of objection against the renewal of the licence of the "Duke of Cambridge," Snargate Street, (occupied by Miss Jane Kennett) on the grounds of redundancy.

Chief Inspector Lockwood stated that he visited this house on the same dates as those of the "Albion," and found no customers on any occasion.

The Chief Constable stated that the house belonged to the Dover Harbour Board, and was tenanted by Jane Kennett, to whom the licence was transferred on 1st June, 1906. The rateable value was 25 gross and 20 nett. The licensed premises in the vicinity were the "Lord Roberts," 11 yards away; the "Mitre," 24 yards, the "York," 27 yards; the "Ordinance," 60 yards; the "Golden Anchor," 50 yards; the "Standard," 50 yards; the "New Commercial Quay," 66 yards; the "Union," 83 yards; and the "Barley Mow," 86 yards.

The Magistrates, without retiring, intimated that the renewal of the licenses would be withheld, and the houses sent forward to the Compensation Authority to deal with.




SIMMONDS Zacharia (Eating house) 1847 Bagshaw's Directory 1847

WESTON John 1861+ (age 41 in 1861Census)

WESTON Henry 1864

BLISS Charles Frederick 1873 Next pub licensee had

BRIGGS George 1874 and 1883 Post Office Directory 1874

ONION Henry 1876

EVANS Mr (Refused license) 1878

PARNABY George Thomas 1878 Post Office Directory 1878

PRITCHARD Henry James to Jul/1880 Dover Express

HOLLOWAY William Jul/1880 Dover Express (late storekeeper Chatham Dockyard)

BURNABY G T 1880 end (perhaps PARNABY)

DUNN John 1881

DUNN Charles 1881-82 (age 37 in 1881Census) Post Office Directory 1882

HOLLINGSWORTH William 1885 end

MEADOWS James P 1885

RANDALL James William to Jan/1888 Next pub licensee had Dover Express

Last pub licensee had BROWNING William Henry Jan/1888+ Dover Express

BEER William Finnis 1888+ (age 19) (father was "BEER Finnis William of the "Chequers," Hougham.)

GOULDEN Thomas 1890

WALLACE Charles 1890-91+ (age 34 in 1891Census) Post Office Directory 1891Dover Express

WRAIGHT Harry 1895 Pikes 1895

SHARP George 1898 end

Last pub licensee had BEER William Finnis 1898-May/1901 Kelly's Directory 1899Dover Express

PANTER Robert May/1901-02 (age 33 in 1901Census) Dover ExpressPost Office Directory 1903Kelly's 1903

McPHERSON Charles to Dec/1902 Dover Express

WARD Alexander George Dec/1902-03 Dover Express

HARMER 1904 end

Last pub licensee had OLIVER Thomas A May/1904-June/1905 Dover Express

FRIEND M A June/1905-June/06 Dover Express

KENNETT Jane Miss June/1906-13 (maiden name Bedgood age 42 in 1911Census) Dover ExpressPost Office Directory 1913


Bagshaw's Directory 1847From Bagshaw Directory 1847

Post Office Directory 1874From the Post Office Directory 1874

Post Office Directory 1878From the Post Office Directory 1878

Post Office Directory 1882From the Post Office Directory 1882

Post Office Directory 1891From the Post Office Directory 1891

Kelly's Directory 1899From the Kelly's Directory 1899

Post Office Directory 1903From the Post Office Directory 1903

Kelly's 1903From the Kelly's Directory 1903

Post Office Directory 1913From the Post Office Directory 1913

Dover ExpressFrom the Dover Express



If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-