Sort file:- Dover, September, 2022.

Page Updated:- Sunday, 25 September, 2022.

PUB LIST PUBLIC HOUSES Barry Smith and Paul Skelton

Earliest 1713-

George Hotel

Latest Dec 1909

92 Snargate Street Post Office Directory 1903

Also Post Office Directory 1874Post Office Directory 1882Post Office Directory 1891 86 Snargate Street (88 Pigot's Directory 1832-34Pigot's Directory 1839) (89 Pigot's Directory 1840)


George Hotel

Above shows the "George Hotel", identified by the flagpole on the apex of the roof and was the first of the properties to go when it was demolished to make an easier turn for the trams from Snargate Street into Strond Street.

Next to the "George Hotel," on the town side, were the premises of Samuel Suter, a ship-chandler, and then came  the "Mechanics' Arms," the Friendly Society convalescent  home, Mrs. Wilson's lodging house, and the premises of R. Tritton, baker and confectioner.

Beyond the "George Hotel" van be seen the facade of the "Prince Imperial," the "Ship Restaurant," and the Waverley Temperance Hotel.

George Inn

George Hotel is shown above marked with "XX" just to the right of the ship. Markd with "XXX" is the "Mechanics' Arms." The single "X" is the "Prince Imperial."


To keep the record straight I have to say first that my searches produced the "George Inn" of 86 Snargate Street and the "George Hotel" of the same street. Not to be confused with the "George" of Bench Street. There being some confusion here with the "George" being in Bench Street just round the corner from the "George Inn" in Snargate Street. The licensees shed no light on the matter either. I expect they are one and the same establishment but I point that out before giving the facts I know.

I have also just found reference to a "New George" dated 1713, that was obviously a new build in the same year, but different premises. Again the licensees names give no further clues as yet.


The only brewer revealed was George Beer. A description of the "George Inn", which was said to date from 1720, identified it with a corner site on the South side of Snargate Street and stated that it narrowly missed compulsory purchase in 1835 when there were intentions to widen the approach to the victualling yard. Lack of funds prevented that.


From the Kentish Post or Canterbury News-Letter, June 17-20, 1730. Kindly sent from Alec Hasenson.

Sale of a Messuage advertised at the Sign of the George at the Pier in Dover July 2.



A description of the "George Hotel" about 1900, stated that it stood opposite the Packet Yard with entrances from Strond Street and Snargate Street. It was permitted to open at five a.m. from 1876.


From the Dover Telegraph and Cinque Ports General Advertiser, Saturday 4 February, 1843. Price 5d.


Mary Holliday, committed fro trial, charged with stealing a gown, property of Mary Ann Spicer, from the "George Inn," Snargate Street.


From the Dover Telegraph and Cinque Ports General Advertiser, Saturday 1 March, 1845. Price 5d.


FRIDAY - W. Carol, labourer, was fined 19s. including costs, for assaulting the landlord of the "George" public-house; and in default of payment was committed for one week.


From the Dover Telegraph and Cinque Ports General Advertiser, Saturday 26 December, 1846. Price 5d.


We last week published an account of a hoax practised on a tradesman in London. On Tuesday a similar trick was attempted on Mr. Philpott, landlord of the "George Inn," whose house for upwards of an hour was besieged by parties who had received notes containing orders, seemingly written by Mr. or Mrs. Philpott. Among those in attendance were - an undertaker, to take the measure of a gentleman just dead; two barbers, to shave the deceased; two butchers' men, with legs of mutton; two grocers, with huge cheeses; a tobacconist; a chimney-sweep; a dustman; a music master, &c., in addition to a mourning coach and three carriages.


From the Dover Telegraph and Cinque Ports General Advertiser, Saturday 16 March, 1850. Price 5d.


An inquest was held on Tuesday at the "George Inn," Snargate Street, before G. T. Thompson, Esq., Coroner for the Borough, to investigate the circumstances attending the death of William Watkins, messenger in the Naval Yard at Dover. Mr. Edward Beale was appointed as foreman, and the jury having been sworn and the body viewed, the following evidence was elicited:-

Joseph Dodd, also a messenger of the Naval Yard - I knew the deceased, who was in the same establishment as myself. On a Friday somewhere at out the middle of January last, I saw him take a ladder and bucket for the purpose of washing the windows of the Superintendent's (Capt. Baldock's house), I saw him again that day several times, when there appeared nothing the matter with him. On Saturday, the day following, he walked lame, and told me he had slipped off the ladder, falling across the edge of the bucket, by which his urethra was injured; he added, that there was a swelling there about the size of a hen's egg. He continued about the yard this day, but on the following Monday was absent from duty to which he never returned. He did not complain of any one having shaken or touched the ladder.

Edward Jones, surgeon, of Dover I was called in to attend deceased on Monday, the 21st of January last. I found a slight swelling behind the scrotum, which deceased thought very lightly of. In a few days I discovered that the urethra was ruptured, and the urine becoming extraverted to swelling enlarged to the size of an infant's head. He refused to have in incision made that were requisite, and in a short time the whole of the parts sloughed away. Deceased afterwards gradually sank, and expired on Sunday last, it would in all probability have sunk sooner but for the kindness of Capt. Baldock, who supplied him with wine, &c. The cause of his death was consequential on the blow he had received in the region of the scrotum, and partially upon a stricture of old standing. I have every reason to believe that his life would have been prolonged had he submitted to the necessary operation.

Verdict - That the deceased died from an injury received by accidentally falling from a ladder.


From the Dover Express and East Kent Intelligencer, 18 July, 1863.


James Henry, a cripple upon crutches, was brought up in custody charged with begging and annoying persons upon the promenade, and also with using obscene language.

The prisoner was released on Tuesday from six weeks' imprisonment for a desperate assault upon a man called Cullen at the "George Inn," Snargate Street. A few hours afterwards he was apprehended upon a charge of assault; but as the case coming before the Bench the prosecutor declined to proceed against him, and he was discharged on promising to leave the town. The prisoner, however, does not seem to have complied with the conditions of his discharge; for on the preceding afternoon, during the time of the performance of the 70th's band, complaints were made to the police that he had been annoying persons on the marine walks. A constable in plain clothes was accordingly set to watch him; and soon afterwards saw the prisoner go up and speak to some ladies - thought he could hear what he said - and at the same time offer them a couple of tracts. The constable at once requested him to go away, to which he replied that he was "selling tracts, and didn't care a ------ for anybody." He was then taken into custody, and removed to the police station, where his language was most obscene.

The Bench asked the prisoner why he did not leave the town as promised.

The prisoner replied that he got part of the way on the road, but his shoe hurt him so much that he was obliged to turn back. On getting back to the town, he sold his shirt to pay for his fare to Folkestone by railway, and was just upon the point of starting when the police took him into custody. He hoped the Bench would take a merciful view of the case, and if they discharged him he would leave the town immediately.

The Bench remarked that mercy appeared to be thrown away upon the prisoner. An opportunity for leaving the town was afforded him the previous day; but instead of availing himself of it, he had given them a repetition of his bad conduct. They had fined him 5s. and the costs, or in default seven days' imprisonment.

Prisoner was committed.


From the Dover Express and East Kent Intelligencer, 29 August, 1863.


Frederick Knowlws, a stripling who has appeared more than once before the Magistrates for disorderly conduct, was brought up by police-constable Alexander Williams, charged with drunkenness in Strond Street, and assaulting him, and was committed to the House of Correction for seven days. In the course of the case the prisoner brought a counter charge of drinking at the bar of the "George Inn," Snargate Street against the constable, but it was not substantiated by any evidence, and the policeman himself denied that it was true.


From the Dover Express and East Kent Intelligencer, 25 November, 1865. Price 1d.


Auguste Fernie, a Frenchman on his way home from America, was charged with being found in the "George Inn," Snargate Street, under suspicion of being there for an unlawful purpose. He was also charged with assaulting police-constable Belton while in the esecution of his duty and thereby breaking his leg.

The prisoner declared himself unable to speak English.

Police-constable Gedds having been sworn as interpreter.

Prisoner said he knew nothing of the charge, and it appeared that he was considerably the worse for liquor when taken into custody.

Leonora Browning said the "George Inn" was kept by her brother, Charles Browning. The prisoner was in the house on the preceding evening about a quarter past nine o'clock. He was not drinking there; but he walked in and proceeded to the top of a flight of stairs leading to the scullery. He made a great noise. She asked him what business he had there and told him he must not go down stairs, but he did not seem to understand her. He was very tipsy. She went back to the bar, and asked a soldier of the Rifles, who was there, to come and help her to get the prisoner out of the house. He accompanied her to the top of the stairs, but the prisoner would not leave, and persisted in going down the stairs. She then sent for a policeman, and on one coming in about five minutes, she desired him to follow the prisoner down stairs and get him out of the house. She was obliged to return to the bar, and in two or three minutes she heard a cry of a man, and the words, "My leg is broken!" Some other policemen subsequently arrived and the prisoner was then taken away.

Charles Kettle, a private of the 2nd Battalion 60th Rifles: I was at the "George" last evening, about a quarter past nine o'clock, when Miss Browning came to me ands asked me to help her get a man out of the house. On going along the passage with her I saw the prisoner, who was down stairs in the scullery. He was wandering about the place, very drunk, and as far as I could judge did not know what he was doing. I brought him up the stairs. and on my persuasion he went out, but afterwards came in again, and as it was impossible to get rid of him a policeman was sent for. On the policeman Belton arriving, he took hold of the prisoner by the collar and shook him up, at the same time asking him what he was doing there. The policeman was in the act of lifting the prisoner up, when the prisoner, who was tumbling about like a drunken man, fell to the ground, the policeman falling with him, and in this way breaking his leg. Another policeman who was with Belton went for further assistance and I took charge of the prisoner till he was taken away.

By the Court: The prisoner did not kick or strike the policeman. The injury to the policeman's leg was occasioned by their both falling together.

Police-constable H. Smith: I was on duty in plain clothes near the "George Inn," about a quarter past nine last evening, and went to Belton's assistance. On getting to the bottom of the scullery stairs I saw the prisoner and Belton in the act of falling, their legs being inter-twined. As soon as they were down Belton cried out that his leg was broken.

By the Court: The occurrence seemed to be purely accidental. I saw no blows or kicking. The prisoner was very drunk. He was very violent on the way to the station-house.

The magistrate considered the fracture of the policeman's leg as accidental, but said the prisoner must be punished for resisting the police, and he would be fined 1 including the costs.

The fine was paid.


From the Dover Express and East Kent Intelligencer, 17 April, 1874. Price 1d.


Mr. Joseph Simmons, who keeps an eating-house in Strond Street, was charged with assaulting Charles de Vere.

Charles De Vere deposed: I live at 195, Strand, but am presently staying in Dover. On Friday, about twenty minutes past one, I was in search of dinner after a long journey, and, with several members of my company, went into the defendant's establishment. I asked if he had any hot joints. He said no, but only hot vegetables and cold roast beef and pork. I could also have chops and steak. Two of the company had pork, but myself and lady being a little more particular asked to see the joint of beef first. He said, "There it is in my window." I went to the window with the lady, and, to speak candidly, did not like the look of it, so asked for two chops, and until they appeared went away. We returned in a short time, and he said, "The price of the chops will be eighteen pence each." I said, "It's rather dear, I think. What makes you charge so much?" He said, "Well, there's the fetching, the cooking, and the mess afterwards, and I thought I should have some trouble in getting the money from you after you had it." I said, "I think we will go to some place where we can have more politeness," and he replied, "I don't want your money; I took the measure of the lot of you before you came in, and saw you were too good for my place. We all went to the door on the pavement, the defendant during this time saying, "I don't want you," and that kind of thing. When we were outside he said, "Go up to the theatre; you are a theatre lot of people; go on, go on." I had a cigar in my hand, unlighted, but did not smoke in his shop. I never do. I threw this into his shop contemptuously, remarking, "You are a very low man." It did not touch him, but he rushed out of the shop, seizing me by the collar, broke my tie and collar stud, and doubles his knuckles into my neck, his other fist being doubled in front of my face. If it were not that a young man stepped in between us I think he would have struck me, but he let me go when the young man interfered. I do not take these proceedings to gain any damages, but as I travel a great deal I have done so for my protection.

John Wilson deposed: I am employed by Mr. de Vere. On Friday we went into the defendant's shop and defendant said before cooking the chops he might as well tell Mr. de Vere that they would be 1s. 6d., as he might have some difficulty in getting the money. Miss Edith remonstrated with him, and he then called us "dirty professionals." Mr. de Vere threw the cigar end down at the entrance of the shop, and Mr. Simmons rushed out and caught hold of Mr. de Vere, put his fist in his face, and used some very foul language, saying that he would knock his head off. When I went between them he caught hold of me and said he would knock his head off.

Miss Florence Montague, who is in the employ of Mrs. de Vere was called next, and her evidence was to the same effect.

The defendant said that a part of what had been told the Bench was true and the rest untrue. The complainant asked for the chops, and, as he sometimes found difficulty in getting his money from his customers after they had dined, he told them beforehand what the charge would be. He was annoyed by their manner and by other things, and replied rather sharply, whereupon Mr. de Vere, in a contemptible, aggravating way, such as he had never seen before in his business, threw the cigar into the shop. Like any other Englishman, he (defendant) then went out and seized him, when "the other warrior" rushed in between them and separated them. From firth to last there were a great many words between him and these people, and he would not put up with their bosh. Indeed, he hoped that such customers would never come into his shop again, for if they did he would shut it up.

He called John Ford who deposed: I keep the "George Inn." My attention was drawn to the noise at Mr. Simmons shop. They were talking loudly, but I saw no blows struck.

The Magistrates, after consulting together, said they had given the case their careful consideration, and although there was no doubt that the defendant had some provocation, he was guilty of an assault in putting his hands on the complainant. They had no alternative but to convict Mr. Simmons, who would have to pay 15s., which would include all the costs.


From the Dover Express and East Kent Intelligencer, 6 February, 1880. Price 1d.


Richard Lamb, 23, was charged with being a deserter from the 49th Regiment stationed at Dover.

Police-sergeant Johnstone said: On Saturday night about 11 o'clock, I met the prisoner down by the Commercial Quay, and when I turned round and looked at him he ran away. I followed him and caught him at the corner of the "George Inn." I asked him where he belonged to and he said Dover, but refused to give his name. Seeing he had a military shirt on, and suspecting he was a deserter, I called the piquet and asked if they knew him; but as they did not, I took him in charge on suspicion of being a deserter. At the station, where he still refused to give his name, we searched him and found he had on a regimental shirt and also trousers.

Sergeant George Dunn, of the 49th Regiment, recognised the prisoner as being a soldier missing since Friday night from the D Company 49th Regiment.

The prisoner's description was taken and he said he enlisted on the 3rd of October, 1879, at Leeds.

The Bench ordered the prisoner to be taken back to his regiment.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday 8 January, 1886. 1d.

An adjourned inquest on the body of Carl Heid Kruger, was held at the “George Hotel” yesterday afternoon. It will be remembered that this inquest was adjourned in order that inquiries might be made respecting the steamer which was said to have run into Fidelio, of which the deceased was a seaman. The Coroner (Sydenham Payn., Esq.), on this occasion stated that enquiries had been made, but no particulars could be gained respecting the steamer that ran into the Fidelio. It was now some seven weeks since the occurrence took place, and nothing fresh had turned up during the interval. The Jury then returned a verdict to the effect “that the deceased was drowned from the wreck Fidelio, having been run into by a steamer, name and nationality unknown.”


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday 23 March, 1888.


The tug Eagle, of Falmouth, put into Dover Hoarbour early on Sunday morning, having on board a pilot who had received serious internal injuries caused by a fall upon deck. The man was attended by Dr. Fenn, but he died on Monday morning.

On Tuesday morning an inquest was held by the Borough Coroner (Sydenham Payn, Esq.), at the “George Hotel”, on the body of Charles Brown, a pilot, belonging to Falmouth.

Joseph H. Deeble said: I am the son of the owner of the tug Eagle, belonging to Falmouth, and act as ship's husband on the tug. The body viewed by the Jury is that of Charles Brown, he was an oversea pilot belonging to Falmouth. He was shipping at that place on the 12th inst. As pilot to Hamburg, as the tug had to tow the barque Woodville there. All went well, and on the 17th the tug was in the North Sea, off Texall. It was blowing very hard, with sleet, a heavy sea was running, and the tug pitched heavily. About 6 a.m. the deceased came down some time in the cabin and said he was going to put canvas on the ship so that she could tack, as the wind was so strong the tug could make no headway. I replied, “Very well, pilot, do what is best.” He then returned to the deck. I was putting my things on to follow, when I heard one of the men call out “For God's sake come up the pilot is dead.” I immediately went on deck and found the deceased lying just outside the cabin door apparently dead. He was taken below as quickly a possible. Having lost the services of the pilot the tug could not proceed and the barque was signalled to slip the tow rope and then we proceeded for the nearest port we could reach. We arrived off the Admiralty Pier on Sunday morning about 7.30 and I landed and procured medical aid, Dr. Fenn coming off. From the time when the deceased was found he remained unconscious. He breathed very heavily. I noticed about two hours after he was found that blood trickled from his ear, but not much. The deceased appeared very well when he shipped.

Thomas Snell, a seaman on the tug, also gave evidence, and it appeared the deceased had fallen on the deck.

Dr. Fenn gave his opinion that the deceased died from a fracture of the base of the skull.

The Jury returned a verdict of “Accidental Death.”


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday 25 August, 1893. 1d.


Mr. Smith, of the “George,” who was fined 40s. and costs for having the house open on Sunday evening on the 21st of April was called up and cautioned.



Problems emerged when the tram rails were laid in 1897. The sharpest curve, described as a forty foot radius, occurred at George Corner. It became the custom for the conductor to beg a bucket of water from the packet yard and wet the rails in an effort to persuade the wheels to slide round the bend.


Dover Express 8th June 1900.


William Miller was brought up for being drunk and disorderly in Strond Street.

Sergeant Ruben Danson said that, on Saturday night about 10 minutes past 10, he saw the prisoner coming into Snargate Street by the "George Inn" and there he committed a nuisance on the pavement. He being very drunk, the Sergeant took him into custody.

This being the defendant’s first offence in the borough, he was fined 5s, or in default seven days imprisonment. He was taken below having no money or goods.


From the Dover Express and East Kent Intelligencer, 28 March, 1902. Price 1d.


John Duncan was charged with being drunk and incapable and obstructing the football in Strond Street.

Police Constable A. Baker said that about 10.50 on Friday night he found the prisoner lying helplessly drunk on the footway opposite the “George Hotel.” Three sailors had been trying to get him home, but they had given up. He was unable to stand or speak, and was brought to the Station. There was 1 10s. 4d. on the prisoner.

The prisoner was dismissed with a caution.



There was opposition to the licence prior to 1909 but that year the Chief Constable added his weight. The forces under his command were never happy about premises which could be entered and left from two streets, but in addition, he pointed out that no yard was available and the toilets were in the basement, approached by a winding staircase. It was an achievement to get a suitable house licensed at that period. That sort of evidence meant that the bells tolled. It closed on 31 December 1909. It was fully licensed and contained four bars. The lease had expired in 1906 but it had operated since then as a free house on an annual basis.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, 5 February, 1909.



This was an objection to the renewal of the licence of the George Hotel, Snargate Street, by the Chief Constable. The objection was that "having regard to the character and necessities of the neighbourhood, the number of licensed houses there and in the immediate vicinity is excessive and the licence now held by you is unnecessary; and, secondly, in the interests of the public, the renewal of the licence now held by you is undesirable."

Mr. R. Mowll appeared for the owners, Messrs. G. Beer and Co.

The Chief Constable said that the George Hotel was situate in Snargate Street, and was fully licensed. The brewers were Messrs. George Beer an Co. of Canterbury. The present tenant was A. F. Bidgood. It was transferred to him on May 4th, 1900. The ratable value was 70 gross, net 56. there were in the immediate neighbourhood the "Mechanics Arms," 8 yards distant, the "Prince Imperial," opposite, 14 yards distant, the "Barley Mow," Strond Street, 50 yards, the "Union Hotel," Commercial Quay, 57 yards, the "Golden Anchor," Commercial Quay, 79 yards, and the "Mitre," Snargate Street, 97 yards. Taking the block between "Apollonian Hall" and the "George" there were 13 licensed houses. The total feet of frontage of the "George" was 31 feet. There is a bar, public and private, with entrances from Strond Street, and two bars with entrances from Snargate Street. There is a coffee room upstairs. There is no yard to these premises. The w.c. is in the basement, approached by a winding staircase, which is very bad.

The Mayor: Has the house been well conducted? - Very well indeed; no complaints against it.

Witness said that at 2.15 p.m. on the 20th January he visited the house. There were no customers. At 10.15 a.m. on January 23rd there were no customers. At 6.20 on Thursday, 28th January, there was one customer.

The Mayor: One of the bars is shut, I believe? - Yes, one of the bars on the Strond Street side is not used by the public.

Mr. Mowll said the landlord had no questions to remark to make on the matter.

The Bench retired to consider their decisions in the four cases, and returned in a very few moments and announced that each would be put forward for compensation, the licenses would only be provisionally renewed


Dover Express 23rd July 1909.

Town, Port & Garrison.

At a meeting of the East Kent Compensation Authority held at Canterbury on Wednesday, the licences of the following public houses in Dover were refused, subject to compensation, notice having been received from the owners that they raised no objection to that course: "George Hotel," Snargate Street (Albert Fitzroy Bidgood), "Deal Cutter," Beach Street, (Clarence Walton), "Miner’s Arms," Beach Street, (John Mummery).


From the Whitstable Times and Herne Bay Herald, Saturday 16 October, 1909.


A meeting of the East Kent Compensation Authority was held at the Guildhall, Canterbury, on Tuesday, under the chairmanship of Lord Harris, the other members of the Committee present being:- The Earl of Guilford, Lieut.-Col. S. Newton Dickenson, and Messrs. H. Fitzwalter Plumptre, H. S. Chapman. F. H. Wilbee, F. E. Burke, and H. H. Green.

Compensation in respect of a number of houses was allocated.

“George Hotel," Snargate Street, Dover, tenant. Mr. Alfred Fitzroy Bidgood, registered owners. Messrs. George Beer and Co., Star Brewery, Canterbury. Mr. Jesse Hind (mortgagee), Fletcher Gate, Nottingham, solicitor, and the Dover Harbour Board, 34, Castle Street. Dover.

Mr. Rutley Mowll stated the total amount had been agreed upon and also how that should be apportioned, but the question had arisen in regard to certain fixtures, and Dr. Hardman was appearing for the tenant in regard to this. The total sum suggested was 835 of which the Dover Harbour Board were to receive 590, Messrs. Beer and Co., 95 as representing the fixtures, and the tenant 150.

Dr. Hardman said the tenant signed that agreement of figures under a misapprehension as to the fixtures.

The Committee approved of the total, and left the apportionment to be settled before the County Court Judge sitting at Dover.


Demolition was proposed in February 1910 and was carried out in September after ownership passed from Dover Harbour Board to the town. No doubt it would have improved matters for the trams but I understand that it was 1930 before George Corner disappeared altogether.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 9 May, 1924. Price 1d.



The public examination in bankruptcy took place in Canterbury on Saturday of Albert Fitzroy Bidgood, a Folkestone greengrocer, and a former licensed victualler at Dover (“George Hotel” May/1900-1910). The liabilities were scheduled at 265, with assets nil.

In examination by the Official Receiver (Mr. A. Harold Ward), debtor said that up to 1897 he was a Canteen proprietor in the Royal Navy. He explained that he had the privilege of running a canteen business on warships, and added that this business paid very well indeed. He gave this occupation up because his wife did not care about his being away so much at sea and wanted him to go into the “public line.” In the year 1897 they took a public house at Sheerness.
Asked what his capital then was, debtor replied that it ran into some thousands of pounds.

On the Official Receiver expressing surprise, bankrupt stated that he lost 11,000 in the Liberator Buildiing Society. He received a dividend of about 3d. in the on his “Liberator” investment. After paying the valuation of the Sheerness public house, he had some 700 or 800 over. Afterwards, he took the “George Hotel,” Dover, where he remained till 1911. He was then out of business for a year. In 1912 he started a retail greengrocer's business at Cheriton Road, Folkestone, with a capital of about 300. His business was, he affirmed, very good for a time, and he considered it paid very well up to 1918. At times during the war his takings were as much as 40 or 50 a week, but subsequently they declined very much, and sometimes were as low as 2 a week. His landlord brought a claim against him in the Folkestone County Court for 22 arrears of rent, and debtor counter-claimed for 50 damages.

The Official Receiver: Apparently the result of the action was that the landlord's claim was successful, and your counter-claim was dismissed?

Debtor: Yes; because he had Counsel from London, and I could not afford it. (Laughter.)

Debtor declared that he had never possessed any War Stock, or Exchequer Bonds.

The examination was closed.




DRISCOLL Thomas 1713+

Last pub licensee had CULMER John Hottum 1826-41+ Next pub licensee had Pigot's Directory 1828-29Pigot's Directory 1832-34Pigot's Directory 1839 (age 55 in 1841Census)(Houlton Pigot's Directory 1840)


PHILPOTT Stephen 1844-50 end Bagshaw's Directory 1847

INSKIP Henry 1850

PHILPOTT 1850-51 end

CURRIE Thomas 1858-64 (age 61 in 1861Census) Melville's 1858Post Office Directory 1862

BROWNING Charles Grist 1864-Nov/71(age 30 in 1871Census) Next pub licensee had

LAWS George Divus Nov/1871+ Dover Express

FORD John 1874-77 Post Office Directory 1874Dover Express

HART Mr C Jan/1878 Dover Express


HAPGOOD Charles 1881

DUMSDAY Albert 1882 Post Office Directory 1882

PEARSON Charles 1882

OWEN Oliver C to Sept/1885 Dover Express

WEBB T S Sept/1885+ Dover Express (Of 53, St. Paul's Road, Highbury)

HART Mrs 1887-89 Pikes 1889

HOOPER John 1887 end ?

HATWOOD William James 1891 Post Office Directory 1891

SMITH Mr 1893

SMITH Mrs Sarah 1891-95 (age 59 in 1891Census)

HOOLEY or HOLLY T E 1897-98

BYWATER Henry Archibald 1898-May/1900 Kelly's Directory 1899

BIDGOOD Albert Fitzroy May/1900-11 (09 end?) Post Office Directory 1903


Pigot's Directory 1824From the Pigot's Directory 1824

Pigot's Directory 1828-29From the Pigot's Directory 1828-9

Pigot's Directory 1832-34From the Pigot's Directory 1832-33-34

Pigot's Directory 1839From the Pigot's Directory 1839

Pigot's Directory 1840From the Pigot's Directory 1840

Bagshaw's Directory 1847From Bagshaw Directory 1847

Melville's 1858From Melville's Directory 1858

Post Office Directory 1862From the Post Office Directory 1862

Post Office Directory 1874From the Post Office Directory 1874

Post Office Directory 1882From the Post Office Directory 1882

Pikes 1889From Pikes Dover Blue Book 1889

Post Office Directory 1891From the Post Office Directory 1891

Kelly's Directory 1899From the Kelly's Directory 1899

Post Office Directory 1903From the Post Office Directory 1901

Dover ExpressFrom the Dover Express



If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-