Sort file:- Dover, February, 2022.

Page Updated:- Tuesday, 08 February, 2022.

PUB LIST PUBLIC HOUSES Barry Smith and Paul Skelton

Earliest 1823


Latest 1860

10 Snargate Street



Described at different times as a tavern, a commercial hotel and an inn, it stood on the corner with Wellington Passage and Culmer served for twenty years up to 1860. (Prebble in 1826). The police admitted it was always a well kept house and omnibuses ran to meet every train. Coaches left here for Deal, Ramsgate, Margate and Canterbury.


From the Dover Telegraph and Cinque Ports General Advertiser, Saturday 25 March, 1837. Price 5d.

Simon Dallas, a discharged soldier, was taken on Thursday, at a beer-house in New Street, by Police Officer Webber, on a charge of stealing a coverlet, four blankets, and other articles, the property of Alexander Brown, the new landlord of the "Wellington Tavern." The prisoner had been employed by Mr. Brown in removing his furniture to the "Wellington," and the articles stolen were found at the house where he was apprehended; he either having sold or deposited them there. He was examined by the Magistrates this morning, and committed for trial.


From the Dover Telegraph and Cinque Ports General Advertiser, Saturday 15 April, 1837.


Simon Dalias, labourer, aged 35, charged with stealing a counterpane and other articles, the property of Alexander Brown. The prosecutor had left the articles in question at his late house in Biggin Street. They were entrusted to the prisoner for the purpose of conveying them to the "Wellington," in Snargate Street, he having been previously employed by Mr. Brown. It appeared that the prisoner sold the property at a Beer house, in New Street, where he had hired a room.

Guilty. Prisoner attributed his offence to the influence of liquor. Two months imprisonment and hard labour.



Reference, shown below, of the celebrated opening of the "Wellington Tavern" in 1837, suggest that the premises was either closed just before this mention or that the building was a new one.


From the Dover Telegraph and Cinque Ports General Advertiser, Saturday 13 May, 1837.


Soon after one o'clock on Thursday morning the inhabitants from the Pier to the Market Place were aroused from their beds, by an alarm of fire having broken out at Magnus's clothes warehouse, opposite the Grand Shaft. Mr. Magnus, the conductor of the concern, had left the house some time from ten to eleven o'clock on the proceeding evening, leaving, it is said, a lighted candle in the back shop, and the gas burning in the front. He proceeded to join a party who was celebrating the opening of the "Wellington Tavern" by Mr. Brown, with a dance; and it was there he received the information of his house being on fire. The inmates of the house, at the time of it being discovered, were two ladies who have occupied the principal apartments for a considerable time - a lad, named King, and a son of Mr. E. Levey who slept with him. The ladies were first aroused by a stench from the burning woollens below; and after much difficulty succeeded in awakening the boys in the adjoining apartment. They then ascended to the flat roof of the building and gave an alarm, which the lad was also then doing in the street, supposing that a chimney was on fire. Police Constable Crosoer and a private watchman attended immediately; and the former entering the house with the boy, proceeded to the upper apartments, where the ladies were, without observing any direct appearance of fire; on descending, however, the melting of the paint and turpentine on the doors of the lower rooms, proved where the devastating element was at work, and before they left the house the stairs were on fire. The ladies were thus rescued, and conveyed in their nightdresses, covered with the police capes and watch coats, to the "Paris Hotel;" and the boys were next placed in safety. This was the work of a moment; and the neighbours having assembled, the shop-door on being struck two or three times, flew open, when a body of flame instantly rushed out; and extended nearly half way across the wide street, completely seared the paint and letters on the houses at the opposite side. Magnus soon afterwards arrived; and shewing great excitement, made a frantic attempt to rush into the burning mass, in which he was presented by the officers, but not until he had suffered severely in his face and hands. The engines now arrived in rapid succession; but those belonging to the Town, notwithstanding the palavers held on the state they ought to be in the meetings of the Pavement Board, were found to be miserably defective. Those however from the Castle, the Heights, the Ordnance, and Harbour departments, were in excellent condition; and speedily put into beneficial application. The water fortunately was kept up in the inner harbour; and the vessels being moved from the Commercial Quay, into the rear of the premises, three of the engines were placed there with self-supplying hoses in the water. These were manfully worked by some of the inhabitants, soldiers of the Rifle Brigade, and the Royal Artillery. The barrack engine, in superior order, was worked by the Artillerymen, under the command of Major Stopford, in a manner so truly scientific and effective, as excited the admiration of every one whom witnessed it; and this presented an example well worthy the imitation of those to whom the management of the town engine is confided.

The number of spectators was comparatively few; but there was no lack of willing hands to render the requisite assistant; and we could name several persons, were it not that we wish to avoid individual distinction, where all seemed equally ready to preserve their neighbours' property from destruction. Still we must accord the palm to the officers and soldiers of the garrison, whose conduct on the occasion was meritorious in the highest degree. It is also but justice to notice that first engine brought to the spot, was drawn by the sergeants and constables of the police, assisted by the Mayor and other individuals.

By two o'clock the roof and floors of the buildings were completely destroyed, but the burning beams and rafters still threatened the destruction of the neighbouring houses; and the partition walls of that adjoining, occupied by Mr. Thorpe, butcher, were burnt through in different places. The house of Mr. Knight, on the Commercial Quay, into which the flames frequently burst, was saved only by the immense body of water forced through it; and that of Mr. Hall, silversmith, though separated by the narrow alley, was certainly preserved by the temerity of those friends who placed themselves on the roof. Much injury was sustained by the occupants of other houses in the removal of furniture; and we regret to add, that Mrs. and Miss. Lawrence, the ladies before mentioned as occupying the principal apartments, which they had done for a considerable time, are sufferers to a serious amount in cash, jewels, plate, valuable paintings, wardrobe and furniture; non of which were insured. The tithe deeds of their property, and other legal documents, also fell a prey to the flames. A small part of the remains of the parchment was found on the top of the smoking ruins yesterday morning. The house, which belonged to Mr. W. H. Payn, was insured in the Guardian Office; but not to its full value. Mr. Magnus, at the time of the fire, stated that his stock was not insured. Since the arrival of his brothers, however, who are said to be principles in the concern, it is understood to have been insured by them for 500, in the Globe, which, it is added, was about half its value. The agent of that officer in Dover, who was not previously aware of the fact, has consequently placed the ruins in charge of the police; and nothing is allowed to be moved until the orders of the Directors are received. There are different causes assigned for the origin of the fire. With these, however, we can have nothing to do; either are we aware whether it be correct or not, as has been stated, that the lights were left burning in the shop.

The hour of calamity is doubtless that in which the human mind should least feel disposed to indulge in fanciful gratification; but so splendid was the scene at times displayed by the reflection of the flames, that few could refrain from its contemplation. The roof of the building being timber, thickly covered with tarred paper, its conflagration threw out a volume of light that illuminated the whole of the cliffs above the town, the ships in the harbour and the bay, and the new houses on the Waterloo Crescent, and the Esplanade, in a splendid manner; and which contrasting with the lurid glare of the clouds above, produced, to use an oft repeated appropriate phrase, an effect, at once awful and sublime. As the day broke the flames were subdued, and the apprehended extension of the devouring element to the adjoining premises, providentially prevented. This happy result we must gain attribute in a great degree to the prompt assistance rendered by the heads of the public departments, and the officers and troops of the garrison; and in offering the thanks of the town to them, we feel conscious of expression the sentiments not only of the Chief Magistrate, and the whole of the authorities, but also those of the inhabitants in general.


From the Kentish Gazette, 2 May 1843. Dover.

We regret to state that Mr. Alexander Brown, late landlord of the "Wellington Inn," here, who was unfortunate in business some time since, was one of the sufferers in the ill-fated mail-packet Solway, lost on the coast of Spain on the night of the 7th ultimo, while acting as steward on board. Mrs. Brown was left to accompany her husband next voyage, and was consequently spared.


From the Dover Telegraph and Cinque Ports General Advertiser, Saturday, 7 November, 1846. Price 5d.


On Sunday evening two men, generally dressed, entered the “Wellington Inn,” Snargate Street, and engaged beds for the night. On Monday morning they breakfasted at the Inn, for which they settled, and ordered dinner to be provided. At an early hour in the afternoon a neighbour stepped in to ask change for a 10 note – the strangers in the meantime supposed to be sitting in a room up stairs. Mrs. Culmer, to whom the note was delivered, not having sufficient change at hand, took her keys with the intention of going up stairs for the cash, and in doing of which she passed the two persons on the staircase, who came down in a very hurried manner, and on reaching the front door immediately ran up the street. Not suspecting what had occurred, Mrs. Culmer proceeded up stairs, when she found that the lock of her bed-room door had been picked, and on entering the room the robbery was soon disclosed, as the drawers were all discovered to have been ransacked, from one of which four 5 notes and 24 or 25 sovereigns were abstracted. The fact was soon communicated to the inmates, and the party calling for the change having observed the direction taken by the two men, pursuit was instantly made, and the thieves were traced to the “Red Cow,” on the Folkestone Road, where they had engaged a conveyance and were gone of towards Folkestone. With all possible speed the pursuit was continued to Folkestone, where it was found that they had taken refreshment at the “York Hotel,” and directly left in the direction of the Canterbury road. As no further clue could be obtained the search was given up, and the partied returned to Dover, since which a full description of the robbers has been very extensively circulated, and every available means for their detection put into operation.


From the Dover Telegraph and Cinque Ports General Advertiser, Saturday, 10 July, 1847. Price 5d.


Michael Hurley, labourer, was committed for trial, charged with stealing a coat, value 1, from the “Wellington Inn,” the property of the landlord, Mr. G. H. Culmer. The prisoner was apprehended on the morning after the robbery by Policeman Adams, with the coat in his possession, which he stated he had purchased of two men for 1s. 6d.


From the Dover Telegraph and Cinque Ports General Advertiser, Saturday, 23 October, 1847. Price 5d.


Michael Harley, weaver, aged 39, was charged with stealing a coat, the property of John Holtum Culmer, landlord of the “Wellington Inn,” Dover, who deposed: that on the evening of July 15th, prisonerv was in the house, and shortly after, the coat which had been previously hanging on the door, was missed, in the room where prisoner had been sitting, of which information was given to the Police.

Police-constable Adams, deposed, that he met prisoner (who answered the description given) the following morning, with the coat on his arm, which he said belonged to him, and that he bought it off a man at a public-house.

Guilty. Two months imprisonment and hard labour.


From the Dover Telegraph and Cinque Ports General Advertiser, Saturday 18 March, 1848. Price 5d.



An inquest was held on Monday, at the "Wellington Inn," Dover, before G. T. Thompsom, Esq., Coroner for the Borough, on the body of Abigail Joy, wife of Thomas Joy, who was found drowned in the pent on Sunday morning.

The jury having appointed Mr. J. Debenham foreman, they proceeded to view the body, and on their return the following evidence was taken:-

John Hatton, supernumerary of the police deposed: On Sunday morning, about a quarter before five o'clock, I met Mr. Joy, in Bench Street, who asked if I had seen a woman in a night dress, with a shawl on. I replied I had not, and he left me. About half an hour afterwards I saw him come up Fishmonger's Lane with a bonnet in his hand: he said he found it tied on the iron bar at the bottom of the lane, and feared she had thrown herself into the river. He then went to the station-house to give information to Sergeant beck, who returned with him, and we searched the stream to the mill, but did not find her. I then went down the steps at Batcheller's Library, and after searching the pent I found the body lying in the water at the back of Squier's Bazarr. I took the body out of the water, when Sergeant Back came, and we conveyed it to the "Wellington Inn." The body was quite cold when taken out of the water.

Sarah Susan Springett deposed: I have for the last three months lived at Mr. Joy's house, and have attended Mrs. Joy as nurse during her illness; she has been in a weak, low, nervous way, but did not keep her bed till Saturday morning, and was ordered by Mr. Cocke, who had been called in by Mr. Joy, to be kept quiet in bed. I remained with her till 20 minutes past one o'clock on Sunday morning, when she begged of me to go to bed, which I did, as she appeared more composed. I went into her room at half-past two, when she was asleep by the side of her husband and child. I returned, and sat on the bed shortly after 3 o'clock, when Mr. Joy called to know if Mrs. Joy was in my room. I replied she was not; and we searched the house for her, when Mr. Joy found that the bar of the shop door had been taken down. He then dressed himself, and we went out to search for her. I followed with Miss Joy, and went over to the Union, as from what she had said I thought it likely she was gone that way. I also called at Mr. Mannering's and Mr. Aldersley's, relatives of deceased, but could not hear anything of her, till I was informed that she had been found in the pent. She was very desponding on Friday, saying her time was short here, but she had no fear, as she was sure Joy would take care of the children.

The Coroner said the only other evidence he had to adduce was that from Mr. Cocke, who attended deceased before death, and Mr. Sankey, who was called in after death. It was, therefore, for the jury to determine if the evidence of the nurse was sufficient to return a verdict, or whether they would require a medical witness.

The jury, after a short consultation, considered the evidence quite sufficient, and returned an open verdict of "Found Drowned."


From the Dover Express and East Kent Intelligencer, 8 February, 1862.


Thomas Wilson, a stonemason, charged with endeavouring to create a disturbance at the "Wellington Inn," was dismissed with a caution, Mr. Culmer, the proprietor, declining to press charges against him. It appeared defendant had gone into the "Wellington" in a state of intoxication, and Mr. Culmer said he believed he had been sent there for the express purpose of creating a disturbance. As defendant, however, was too drunk to be responsible for his actions, he would not press the charge.



When sold in 1859 it realised 950. The following year it was taken down.



PREBBLE Richard 1823 Pigot's Directory 1823Pigot's Directory 1828-29

PREBBLE William 1826

BOURNER William 1832-37 Pigot's Directory 1832-34(Pigot's Directory 1839?)

BROWN Alexander 1837-40+ Pigot's Directory 1840

Last pub licensee had CULMER John Holtum 1840-62+ (age 55 in 1841Census) Bagshaw's Directory 1847Dover Express


Pigot's Directory 1823From the Pigot's Directory 1823

Pigot's Directory 1828-29From the Pigot's Directory 1828-9

Pigot's Directory 1832-34From the Pigot's Directory 1832-33-34

Pigot's Directory 1839From the Pigot's Directory 1839

Pigot's Directory 1840From the Pigot's Directory 1840

Bagshaw's Directory 1847From Bagshaw Directory 1847



If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-