Sort file:- Dover, September, 2021.

Page Updated:- Monday, 27 September, 2021.

PUB LIST PUBLIC HOUSES Barry Smith and Paul Skelton

Earliest 1826


Latest 1907

8 Trevanion Lane

Woolcombers Street



Above photo, date unknown, kindly sent by Paul Wells.


Retailing in 1826, and later belonging to George Beer and Company. Possibly on a corner, the address in the last century was often Woolcombers Street.


From the Dover Telegraph and Cinque Ports General Advertiser, Saturday, 6 November, 1847. Price 5d.


An inquest was held on Wednesday, at the “Star,” in Trevanion Lane, before G. T. Thompson, Esq., Coroner of the Borough, on the body of Daniel Manser, labourer, aged 40, when the following evidence was adduced:-

Benjamin Pilcher, grocer, deposed: On Monday night about half-past nine o'clock, I saw a man at the top of Commercial Quay, going to the back of Mr. Court's porter vaults. Shortly after I heard a heavy fall, and on looking over the quay, saw a man lying on the mud. It was low water at the time, and I went to the “True Briton” to call for assistance.

John Willis, labourer, deposed: I was at the “True Briton” on Monday evening, and on hearing an alarm that a man had fallen over the quay, I went with several others, and found deceased, who I recognised, lying on the mud. We got him on his legs, and I asked if he was hurt, but he only complained of his back. I saw blood running from behind his ear, and told him he had got “a spat on the head,” but he said he did not feel it. We then we got him on the quay, and he wanted to walk home alone, but I would not let him, and walked with him to his house, where he lodged. He had no difficulty in walking, and only complained of his back. He gave no further account of the accident than that he went round the corner, and slipped over. In my opinion he was not sober.

John Manser, brother of deceased, deposed: On Monday night about 10 o'clock, deceased who lodged in the same room with myself, came home and laid himself down on the bed with his clothes on. He complained of his back, saying he had had a fall. He did not disturb me during the night, but when I got up at 5 o'clock, I left him believing him to be asleep. I went to call him at 6 o'clock, and found he was dead, and his body quite cold. This evidence was corroborated by Robert Stokes, shoemaker, who slept in the same room.

Edward Jones, surgeon, deposed: I was called to see deceased about half-past 6 o'clock, and found him lying outside the bed with his clothes on. He was quite cold and had been dead some hours. I have carefully examined the body, and find there is a small puncture wound behind the left ear, but it is only skin deep. There is also a slight graze on the left buttock, as if it had scraped against some rough substance. There are no other marks on his person. The wounds I have mentioned would not cause his death. I cannot state from what death has arisen, nor form any conclusive opinion upon that head. As the wound on the head is certainly the result of a blow, arising from a fall or other violence, it is possible that death has arisen from extravagation of blood upon the brain.

Fanny Goodfellow deposed: I lodge with my husband in the house. On Monday night when deceased came home I lighted him to bed, and took off his neck-cloth. He laid down in his clothes, and I covered him up with a great coat. I went to bed in the next room to deceased about half-past eleven o'clock, and hearing a loud snoring in deceased's room, I requested my husband to go in. I was awake at 12 and 1 o'clock when all was quiet in the room, the snoring having ceased.

John Goodfellow, ostler, deposed: I went into the room as requested by my wife, when I heard a queer noise, as of a rattle in a person's throat. I found the noise proceeded from deceased, and seeing that his head had fallen off the pillow on to the mattress, I lifted it up. He then ceased to make any noise, and began to breath quietly. I then left the room and was not disturbed again during the night.

The Coroner then briefly addressed the Jury, who after a short consultation, returned the following verdict:- “That deceased died in consequence of injuries received by accidentally falling over the quay, at the back of Mr. Court's porter store,” and the Jury desire to add to their verdict, a strong expression of opinion, that the place where deceased fell is not sufficiently protected, and that the Harbour authorities he called upon (the above not being the first instance of accident) to adopt a remedy so as to insure the perfect safety and convenience of the public.


From the Dover Express and East Kent Intelligencer, 3 March, 1882. Price 1d.


Otto Dannenburg, landlord of the “Star Inn,” Church Street, (this is incorrectly addressed. Paul Skelton) was summoned for serving intoxicating liquors during prohibited hours, and Sergeant William Smith, Trumpeter, John Smith, and Gunner Martin Reeves, of the Royal Artillery, were summonsed for being upon the premises at the same time.

The landlord pleaded “Not Guilty,” and the soldiers said that they were guilty of being found on the premises, but were ignorant of the laws, as they had only just arrived from India.

Police-constable Wickham said: On Tuesday the 21st instant, at a quarter to twelve o'clock at night, I was on duty in the Market Square, when from information I received I went with a sergeant of the Garrison Military Police to the “Star Inn,” Church Street. I knocked at the door and the landlord opened it I asked him whether he had any persons inside, and he said, “No, only lodgers.” I then walked through into the tap-room, and found the three defendants of the Royal Artillery sitting down with a quart jug and two glasses in front of them, each containing beer. I asked them whether they were lodgers, but they made no reply, but drank up their beer and left the premises. Nothing further was said about the defendants being lodgers. The three defendants belong to the Royal Artillery, and are situated at Fort Burgoyne, their battery having come in last Saturday week.

Witness, examined by the landlord, said: You did not tell me that they said that they had come from Chatham.

Sergeant Gallaher, of the Royal Scots Fusiliers said: I am acting on Garrison Military Police duty. At about half-past eleven o'clock on Tuesday, the 21st instant, I saw three Artillerymen enter the “Star Inn.” There being Artillerymen about I wished to examine their passes. I got the last witness to obtain admittance to the inn. We went and knocked at the door, and the landlord answered. The constable asked if there were any persons inside the house, and the landlord said “only lodgers.” We went into the tap-room, and found the three defendants there. I examined their passes and found that they were on leave till midnight. They belong to Fort Burgoyne. The landlord said that they were lodgers in the presence of the men, but when I asked them if that were true, they said “no.” When we first went to the house it was shut, and the door fastened. The defendants left the house and went up Castle Street. If they had stopped any longer I should have made them prisoners.

By the Bench: The Artillerymen came to Fort Burgoyne about a fortnight ago from India.

The defendant Dannenberg said that he would not have got himself into that row for the sake of a pot of beer. He had taken the word of the soldiers that they were going to be lodgers.

The Artillerymen said that they were ignorant of the laws, having just returned from India, but seeing a light in the public-house, they had knocked and obtained a little beer.

The Superintendent said that this was not the first offence against the landlord. About nine months ago he found the house open late at night, but some explanation was given to the Bench about its being with a soldier's dinner that they had there that night. Only last Saturday after the summons had been served on him, at twenty minutes to one o'clock, there were three men found in the top part of the house, and who belong to Dover.

The bench fined the landlord 40s. and 10s. 6d. costs, and the other defendants were ordered to pay the costs, 7s. 6d. The money was paid.

The Clerk told the artillerymen that this case would not be reckoned as a conviction against them.


From the Dover Express and East Kent Intelligencer, 10 March, 1882. Price 1d.


Otto Dannenburg, landlord of the “Star Inn,” Church Street, (this is incorrectly addressed. Paul Skelton) was summoned for serving intoxicating liquors during prohibited hours, and two men were summonsed for being upon the premises at the same time.

Mr. Mowll appeared on behalf of the defendants, who, in answer to the charge, pleaded guilty.

Police-constable Cook said: On Saturday, Feb. 25th, at 11.35, I was on duty in Church Street, when I saw an artilleryman enter the “Star Inn,” and five minutes afterwards a man named Samuel Baker went into the house and remained for ten minutes, when someone forced him out of the house. I reported what I had seen to Police-sergeant Harman.

Police-sergeant Harman said: On Saturday night the 25th February, my attention was called to the “Star” public-house by Police-constable Cook. I went with Police-constable Pilcher at twenty minutes to one o'clock the same night to the house, and was let in by the landlord. The house was shut up and in total darkness when I knocked at the door. We walked through the passage into the kitchen, and found seven men sitting at a table, but with no drink before them. I asked the landlord if the seven men were lodgers, and he replied that they were. The men were strangers to Police-constable Pilcher and myself. I then went upstairs, and in the club room, over the bar, which was in total darkness, I found the two defendants, the one behind the door and the other under a table. I turned on my lantern and soon found the men. The landlord was present, and said that one came in as lodger. I asked him how he accounted for the other, and he replied, “Don't' say anything, as I am summoned to appear at the Court on Monday already.” I told him that I could not help his being already summoned, and that I was obliged to report the case.

Police-constable Cook, recalled, said: The man Samuel Baker was drunk when he left the “Star Inn,” and I had to separate him from another man whom he was fighting with, shortly after leaving the house.

Police-constable Harman, continuing, said: I took the defendant's names and reported the case at the Police-station.

Mr. Mowll said that he appeared for the defendant, who had stated that they were very sorry that that had committed the offence. This case would be the cause of the landlord's ruin, and he would be obliged the premises. He (Mr. Mowll) had received instructions to apply for the transfer of the license of the house this morning.

The Clerk said that the defendant, the landlord, had been summoned to appear at Court on Monday, 27th of February, and this offence took place on Sunday, the 26th. He was on the Monday fined 40s. and costs. The summons must have been in the house at the time when the defendant's were found there.

The bench said that under the circumstances they felt compelled to fine the landlord 10 and costs 9s. 6d., or in default one months' imprisonment, and the two men found on the premises were fined 10s. each and 9s. 6d. costs.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday 29 August, 1890.



On the name of the landlord of the “Star,” Trevanion Lane, being called, no one answered.

Mr. Worsfold Mowll said as he knew the parties he would take that license.

Mr. Stilwell: Have you a written authority to make the application? If so, you must produce it.

Mr. Mowll: I cannot do that.

The name was passed over.



When the list had been exhausted, Mr. Worsfiold Mowll asked if the new rule, requiring a written authority, was to apply to Solicitors. He could understand that it might be a very good rule to apply to agents who had no right of audience before the Magistrates, but he thought it ought not apply to Solicitors. He was there to watch all the cases of all the houses of Messrs. G. Beer & Co. This was one of their houses, and Mr. Sandford, their Manager, was present, and he knew that the landlord of the “Star” did not want his licence renewed.

Mr. Stillwell: You said yourself that you are here to represent the landlord, and not the tenant.

Mr. Mowll said that Mr. Sandford knew that the tenant wanted the license renewed.

Mr. Mowll again argued that the rule, as to written authority, ought not to be applied to Solicitors who had the right of audience at the Court.

Mr. T. V. Brown said he could not allow it to go forth that anyone except Solicitors, had the right of audience in the court. There were agent who introduced applicants, but they were never allowed to argue or address the court.



The renewal was opposed by the Chief Constable in 1907. He thought the design of the building was not compatible with its use. Sadly also, it had changed hands six times in six years. I hasten to point out in view of that, there had never been a conviction, accept the one above in 1882.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday 15 February, 1907. Price 1d.


The Annual Licensing Meeting of the Dover Magistrates was held at the Police Court on Monday at noon. The Magistrates on the Bench were:- The Mayor (G. P. Raggett, Esq.), Sir William Crundall, Messrs. J. L. Bradley, M. Pepper, W. J. Barnes, W. J. Adcock, H. W. Thorpe, H. F. Elwin, J. W. Bussey, F. G. Wright, E. Chitty, J. Scott, F. W. Prescott, and T. A. Terson.


Mr. R. Mowll appeared for the brewers, Messrs. G. Beer and Co.

The tenant, Mr. L. Burrows, was informed that the Superintendent of the Police objected to the renewal of the licence, and in addition to the two usual grounds of objection, he also objected on the ground that the premises were structurally unsuitable.

Chief Constable Knott said that the “Star” beer house was situated in Trevanion Street. The present tenant, L. Burrows had the licence transferred to him on October 5th, 1906. There had been six changed in six years. The licenses in the immediate neighbourhood were the “Star and Garter,” 53 yards, the “Mail Packet,” 65 yards, and the “White Horse,” 163 yards, the “Guilford” and the “Providence” were within easy distances. The rateable value was 19, and net 15 10s. The house was situated bad because the back yards of Nos. 37 and 38 Trevanion Street were in common with the back yard of the licensed premises. On December 8th, at 12.30, there were five customers, on Friday February 1st at 7.50 p.m., one customer, and on Tuesday, February 5th, at 11.25 a.m., one customer.

Mr. Scott: The lighting is very bad, the customers cannot tell whether they are drinking beer or porter. (Laughter.)

Mr. Mowll to the witness: Is it true that customers cannot see whether they are drinking beer or porter?

Witness: The rooms are very dark.

Mr. Mowll: But of course, there are means of lighting them?

Witness: Yes.

In reply to Mr. Mowll witness said that there had never been a conviction against the house. There had been seven transfers in 20 years.

Inspector Fox gave corroborating evidence and said that on January 3rd, at 7.17 p.m., there were no customers.

After the luncheon adjournment:

The Magistrates' Clerk announced that all the five houses, i.e. those at the “Star,” the “Volunteer,” the “Comet,” the “Nottingham Castle,” and the “Ordnance Arms,” would be provisionally renewed so that they could go before the Compensation Authority the Quarter Sessions at Canterbury with a view to compensation.


From Dover Express 12 July 1907.


The previous action of the Dover Magistrates in refusing the licences of the "Nottingham Castle," Adrian Street, the "Star," Trevanion Lane, the "Comet," Priory Road, and the "Volunteer," London Road, was at the Licensing Committee of the County Magistrates yesterday at Canterbury, confirmed, the owners making no objection.


Nine houses were referred that year but a lack of ready in the money box meant that only five were closed and compensated. I never found the outcome of those proceedings but I think there is little doubt the bells tolled for this one. If the property survived to 1945 it would have disappeared then.



FRY Edward 1847

DUNN James 1861 (1 Trevanion Lane, only mentioned as mariner age 42 in 1861Census)

CLARK 1865 end

DUNN James 1865-69 (St James)

LILLEY Richard Sept/1870-82 Dover Express (also mariner age 50 in 1881Census)(St James)

RUSSELL John 1878 (Trevanion Lane)

FAWCETT Joseph 1879

DANNENBURG Otto 1881-Mar/82 Post Office Directory 1882Dover Express

ATHERDEN Charles Matthew 1887-Apr/1901 Kelly's Directory 1899Post Office Directory 1903Dover Express

DEALING Mr W Apr/1901+ Dover Express

Last pub licensee had GATEHOUSE Mrs Amelia Caroline to Dec/1903 Dover Express

MARSH Mr Sidney James Dec/1903-June/05 Dover Express

PICKARD Fred June/1905-06 end (St James) Dover Express (Late of the "Beaver", Ashford, cowkeeper) Dover Express

BURROWS Mrs L Oct/5/1906-7 (St James)

Last pub licensee had WHITING Walter 1907 end


Post Office Directory 1882From the Post Office Directory 1882

Kelly's Directory 1899From the Kelly's Directory 1899

Post Office Directory 1903From the Post Office Directory 1901

Dover ExpressFrom the Dover Express


If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-