Sort file:- Dover, September, 2021.

Page Updated:- Monday, 27 September, 2021.

PUB LIST PUBLIC HOUSES Barry Smith and Paul Skelton

Earliest Jun 1860

(Name from)

Guilford Hotel

Latest 1913

36 Liverpool Street



Managed by Pentecost from at least 1856 and becoming later a fully licensed outlet of George Beer. It had formerly been known as the "Four Porters", the sign changing in June 1860.


Pentecost stayed until at least 1877 which would be twenty one years without looking further. The number would have altered over the years. Its position might more readily be identified if I say that when it was made redundant in 1913, the "Mail Packet", "Star and Garter" and "Providence" were all within 125 yards. Compensation of 180 went to George Beer and 147.10s went to James Denny the tenant. 5 went to property owners Dover Harbour Board.


A fire occurred in the bar of this hotel in April 1913, which event may have taken place whilst the negotiations proceeded.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 30 July, 1869.


On Friday afternoon last the Borough Coroner , W. H. Payn, Esq.,  held an inquest on the body of Mrs. Eliza Clark, the lady whose death resulted from a carriage accident at Castle Hill, on the previous night, particulars of which were given in our last. (Click here). The account we gave was substantially correct; but it appears that the deceased lady, though residing in Brighton, with her husband and family, had come from Sandgate to Dover, and not from Brighton to Dover, on the day of the accident, in company with her sister, Mrs. Beresford, who was staying in Sandgate, and to whom Mrs. Clark was on a visit. The inquest was held at the "Guilford Arms," Liverpool Street; and the Jury having returned from the "Imperial Hotel," where the  deceased lady was laying, and whither they had proceeded for the purpose of viewing the body, the following evidence was adduced:-

Stephen Brooksby said: I am a tutor residing in Avenue de Roule, Paris. the deceased lady, Eliza Clark, was the wife of captain Henry Clark, who is an officer in the army, residing at Brighton. her age was about twenty-four years. Yesterday, about half-past twelve, I went to the South-Eastern railway Station at Dover in a fly, which I had hired at Walmer, and met the deceased and her sister, Mrs. Beresford. They accompanied me to St. Margaret's Bay in the fly, but before we started from Dover the horse was changed, as the one which had come from Walmer in the fly was to return to Walmer in the evening. After visiting the bay and the neighbourhood we started, on our return, at seven o'clock, in order to have plenty of time to save the 8.45 up train  of the South-Eastern Railway. the fly had just got past the turnpike gate, at the Castle Hill, when we felt that something was wrong, the horse going at a very rapid pace down the hill. I looked out of one of the windows, to see if anything was wrong, and, o retaking my seat, I found that the deceased had opened the door and had jumped out. her sister would have followed, but I prevented her, and said, "Let me jump first," which I did. Mrs. Beresford would have followed, but the horse was stopped by a Mr. Packham, who was on the hill. After having jumped out of the carriage, I ran to the assistance of the deceased , whom I found to be perfectly insensible. Mr. Packham went for a doctor, and the deceased was taken to the "Imperial Hotel" in another fly. Dr. parsons attended her all night, and she died about four o'clock, without being able to speak. The fly hired by me at Walmer was a closed fly. I know the fly had a skid attached  to it,  because I saw it while going down St. Margaret's Hill. I hired the fly from Mr. Barnes, of Walmer, but I do not know the name of the man who drove it. The same man drove to St. Margaret's who drove me to Walmer. he was a middle-aged man. When coming down the hill I did not tell him to put the skid on.  I left that to the man's judgement. he was perfectly sober. The fly was closed when the horse went so fast, so that i could not see if the driver was pulling hard. I do not think Mr. Packham had caught  hold of the horse when we jumped out. I think the skid ought to have been on upon our descending the Castle Hill. I do not know if the skid was on, but I should think not. I have heard that the driver was pulling  up, to put the skid on, when the breeching broke.

Edwin Packham said: I am a livery stable keeper residing in Dover. Yesterday evening, about a quarter past eight, I was sitting on a seat on Old Castle Hill Road, when I heard a horse running away down Castle Hill. I heard it kicking. I immediately ran up the bank, and saw a horse and a carriage going down the hill at a furious pace. The driver was pulling up the horse to the best of his power, but seeing that he required assistance, I ran up to the horse's head, while the animal was going down the hill, and eventually succeeded in stopping it. The skid was not on. I found the skid in the front part of the carriage. The man who was driving appeared perfectly sober. I told him that he should have had the skid on, and he said he was pulling up to put it on, when the breeching broke. I saw the breeching was broken. I saw somebody lying on the said of the road, but at the moment I couldn't tell whether it was a lady or a gentleman. I held the horse's head while the driver went to see to the lady. I afterwards went for a doctor, and ordered a fly to go and fetch the lady into the town.

James Doer, having been sworn and previously cautioned, said: I am a fly driver living at Walmer in the service of Mr. Thomas Barnes, a fly proprietor  of the same place. Yesterday morning, at a quarter to eleven, I was engaged by a gentleman, Mr. Brooksby, to go to the South-Eastern Railway Station, at Dover, for the purpose of taking some passengers from the railway. On arriving at Dover I was ordered to put my horse into the stable, and the gentleman said that another horse should be put into the carriage, as he desired to go to St. Margaret's Bay. The horse was put into my carriage by the owner, Mr. Kittel. I then drove the gentleman  and two ladies to St. Margaret's Bay. On the way back to Dover, the horse shied at Castle Hill Turnpike, before I had time to put the break on, and ran down the hill about the distance of two hundred yards. During this time the deceased lady opened the carriage door, and jumped out. In pulled the horse up with the assistance of Mr. Packham. The breeching of the harness broke, and that caused the animal to run away. I had never on any previous occasion  driven this particular horse. The harness did not belong to Mr. Barnes. It was very rotten.

Charles Parsons said: I am a doctor of medicine residing in St. James's Street, Dover. Yesterday evening, about a quarter past eight, I was called to see a lady who had been injured  on the Castle Hill. On arriving at the turnpike I found the deceased lying  insensible in the arms of a gentleman, and several people nearby rendering assistance. I ordered her to be placed in a fly and immediately removed to the nearest hotel. I accompanied her in the fly, and she was conveyed to the "Imperial Hotel," and placed in a bed. On removing her clothes  I made a careful examination, but could only fond a swelling at  the back of the head with a fractured scalp wound, apparently caused by a hair pin which had fastened a chignon at the back of the head. She was cold, pale, and almost pulseless, and was totally insensible. She remained in this condition, with very slight improvement, until about four o'clock, when she suddenly became flushed, the breathing laborious, and in a few minutes she was dead. I found no fracture of the skull. She probably died from the violence of the shock causing fatal injury to the nervous substance of the brain.

The jury returned a verdict of "Accidental Death."


From the Deal, Walmer, and Sandwich Mercury, 31 July, 1869. 1d.


A sad accident, which was attended with fatal result, took place upon Castle Hill on Thursday week about 8 o'clock in the evening. It appeared that a gentleman named Brooksby had hired a fly from Mr. Barnes, of Walmer, in the morning, and drove to Dover. Here Mr. Barne's horse was changed for an animal belonging to Mr. Kittell, of the "London Hotel," and Mr. Brooksby having taken up two lady friends, named Mrs. Clarke, and Mrs. Beresford, at the South Eastern Railway Station, gave the flyman orders to drive to St. Margaret's. All went well till the return journey, when just as the party had arrived at the turnpike-gate upon the hill, the "breeching" of the harness broke, and touched the hind quarters of the horse, which started off at a furious gallop down the hill, continuing its mad career for about 200 yards, when, with great courage and presence of mind, Mr. Packham, junior, who was near at the time, seized the animal's head and stopped it. Mrs. Clarke had in the meantime jumped out, and, falling to the ground, received serious injuries. Dr. Parsons was soon present, and had her removed to the "Imperial Hotel," where she died on Friday morning about four o'clock, from concussion of the brain. An inquest was held upon the body at the "Guildford Arms Inn," Liverpool Street, on Friday afternoon last, before the Coroner W. H. Payn, Esq., and the following was the evidence:-

Mr. Stephen Brooksby, a tutor, residing in the Avenue do Roule, Paris, stated that on Thursday morning he met the deceased and her friends at the station. He took them up about half-past twelve, they having come down by train from Brighton. Her sister, Mrs. Beresford, was with her. They went to St. Margaret's Bay. Before starting they changed the horse to prevent the Deal horse from being tired in returning. They returned from St. Margaret's to Dover about seven o'clock, and had just got through the gate at the top of Castle Hill, when the horse ran away. He looked out of the window, and on getting back again he found the deceased had opened the door and jumped out. Her sister would have followed her but the witness stopped her, and said, "Let me jump first." He jumped out, and in a minute afterwards Mr. Packham jun., with great courage stopped the animal. He then ran to Mrs. Clark's assistance, whom he found perfectly insensible. Mr. Packham ran for Dr. Parsons, who shortly afterwards arrived and had her conveyed in a fly to the "Imperial Hotel." It was a closed fly from Walmer, and had a skid. The driver had certainly no control over his horse, and was quite sober. The deceased was aged 24 years, and was the wife of Captain Clark, in the Army. He did not know whether any of the harness broke.

Mr. Edwin Packham, of the "Shakespeare" stables, Dover, deposed that he was on the old Castle Hill, on Thursday evening, and heard the horse running away down the hill. He ran up and saw the horse and fly going down the New Road at a furious pace. The driver had then a command over the animal and was pulling him up with all his power. He, witness, saw assistance was required, seized the horse's head, and ran with it a distance of 100 yards, and eventually succeeded in stopping it. The skid was not on and the man was perfectly sober. In answer to a question the driver told him he was pulling up to place the skid on, when the breeching broke and the horse started off before he had time to get down. He went for a surgeon, and ordered a fly to go and fetch the lady down.

After a discussion of a few minutes as to whether it was politic for the flyman, James Down, to give evidence, he was sworn at the wish of the Jury, and stated that the horse was put into the carriage by its owner, Mr. Kittell. On his return, the horse at the Dover turnpike shied before he could put the break on and ran a distance of 200 yards. The breeching of the harness, which belonged to Mr. Kittell, broke, and caused the horse to run away. He had never driven the horse before and it shied twice before he came to the gate. The harness was in a very unfit state, and if the breeching had not have broken the accident would not have occurred. The lady also would not have met with her death if she had kept her seat.

Dr. Charles Parson, physician and surgeon of Dover, said he attended the deceased on the spot. She was lying senseless in the arms of a gentleman. He had her placed in a fly and brought  to the "Imperial Hotel." There she was placed in bed, and on examining her he found a contusion at the back of her head. She was cold, pale, and almost pulse less. She remained in this condition with slight improvement till four o'clock this morning, when she suddenly became flushed and expired. The probably cause of her death was from the violence of the shock, causing fatal injury within the brain.

The Jury, after a brief consideration, returned a verdict of accidental death, but were of opinion that the harness breaking was the cause of the accident.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 20 February, 1891. Price 1d.


An inquest was held on Friday afternoon at the “Guilford Hotel,” Liverpool Street, by the Borough Coroner (S. Payn, Esq.), touching the death of John O'Connell, who died suddenly the previous day at 14, Woolcomber Lane.

The following formed the Jury:- Mr. W. H. Norman (foreman), Messrs. R. Crosier, J. Muddle, F. Fox, J. Humphries, R. A. Cornes, J. V. Longley, G. Church, T. Sinclair, J. Broad, H. Spain, P. Pilcher, J. Leeds, and H. E. Fairly.

The body having been viewed the following evidence was taken:-

Margaret Kehoe a widow, said: I live at14, Woolcomber Lane, Dover, and let lodgings. The deceased (John O'Connell), came to my house last Wednesday week. He said he had come down for a change of air, and he seemed very poorly. I last saw him alive at ten o'clock on Wednesday night, in my kitchen at supper. He then went to bed, and I did not see or hear him again. He slept on the ground floor. He was to have gone home on Wednesday, only he did not feel well enough. About a quarter-past eight on Thursday morning I went to his door and knocked, but got no answer. I went again at nine, and getting no answer I went in and found deceased in bed with the clothes over him. I found he did not speak, and then touched him and found him dead. I sent for assistance and Dr. Baird.

John Baird said: I am a surgeon practising at Dover. On Thursday morning about half-past nine, I was called to 14, Woolcomber Lane. There I found deceased in bed, and from all appearances he had been dead some hours. There were no marks of violence. Beneath the bed was a basin with traces of vomit in it. I produced a telegram from Dr. Pearse as follows: - “Probable cause of death of O'Connell, overloaded stomach or vomiting acting on a very weak heart.” My own opinion of the death is in accordance with Dr. Pease's opinion, namely, failure of the heart's action in consequence of straining to vomit.

Police-constable Pilcher gave evidence as to searching the deceased's room and clothes.

The Jury returned a verdict of death from natural causes – failure of the heart's action while vomiting.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 11 January, 1895.


An inquest was held at the “Guilford Hotel” yesterday afternoon, by the Borough Coroner, on the body of Mrs. Margaret Sanderson, of 50, East Cliff, who had died of erysipelas (skin infection), the effect of a wound received by falling down Mr. M. Mowll's steps, Chaldecot, Leybourne Road. Mr. Smeeth was foreman of the Jury.

Mr. Joseph Sanderson, an army pensioner, 50, East Cliff, said the body the Jury had viewed was that of his wife Margaret Sanderson. She was 57 years of age. On Friday afternoon 30th November, she was brought home on a fly by Mr. Martyn Mowll. She was bandaged round the head. She said she had fallen down Mr. Mowll's steps and struck her head. The Hospital doctor attended her, and she went on well until symptoms of erysipelas set in, and she got worse on the Sunday. On Monday Mr. Mowll brought Dr. Best, who said she was in a very weak state. She died on Tuesday morning. The Hospital doctor did not call after Sunday, and witness had not seen him since.

Mr. M. Mowll, solicitor, said that on Friday, November 30th, about 3 p.m., the deceased called at his house for a Hospital ticket for her husband. Witness saw her and gave her the ticket, and as she left the house by the front door, watched her go down the steps. When she got half-way down the steps, on to the landing, she, from some cause witness could not perceive, fell down to the bottom of the steps. It was a terrible fall, and witness thought that she must have broken her neck. The Coroner, who lived opposite, saw what occurred, and helped to pick her up. She soon came to herself, but seemed dazed, and the Coroner examined her head, which was bleeding rather freely, and found that in the fall a comb that she was wearing on the back of the head, had broken, and had made three or four wounds in the scalp. As soon as she was fit, she was taken into the house and Dr. Best was telephoned for and attended to the injury, and she was afterwards taken to her home in a cab. Witness heard afterwards that she was going on all right, until last Friday, when he heard that she was worse, and witness' wife saw her. Dr. Best saw her at witness' request.

The Coroner said that at the time of the accident he was at his window, and saw her fumble with her feet, and topple completely over, falling on the top of her head.

Edward Know Goodwin, House Surgeon of the Dover Hospital, said he took that post on December 6th, and first attended the deceased when sent for on December 19th. The wounds were unhealthy, and had not completely healed. He was sent for on January 3rd, and witness found that erysipelas had set in, and prescribed for her. He saw her again on the three following days, and on Sunday she was a little better. Witness was very busy, and as no message arrived when the medicine was sent for, he did not visit her as he originally intended. He had 28 patients to visit that day and the work was very heavy and rather too much, and for this reason he was leaving. Witness ascribed death to erysipelas, brought on from the wound.

The Jury returned a verdict that the deceased died of erysipelas, originating from injuries accidentally received.


From the Whitstable Times, 31 May, 1902.


An inquest was held by the Coroner (Mr. Sydenham Payn) at the “Guilford Hotel,” on Monday, on the body of Edward James Tapley, a retired draper, 77 years of age, who lived at No 10, Clarence Lawn. From the evidence it appeared that on the 14th inst, deceased went into the garden of his house to clean out a gutter, using a pair of steps for the purpose. Shortly afterwards, the maid, Daisy Croaoer, heard groaning, and on going into the garden she found deceased lying on the ground partly unconscious, with the steps lying beside him. He was conveyed indoors, and according to the evidence of Miss Florence Tapley, the daughter, he revived and seemed to improve. But during the past week he became worse, and died on Monday. Deceased told her that he became dizzy and fell from the steps. Dr. J. Richardson said he found deceased suffering from severs shock, from which he did not recover, and peritonitis set in. The jury returned a verdict of Accidental Death.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 7 February, 1913. Price 1d.


Mr. Mowll said that he understood that the owners were not objecting to the house going for compensation.

The Chief Constable said that it was a fully licensed house in Liverpool Street. The owners were Messrs. George Beer and Co., Canterbury, and the present tenant was J. Denny, and the house was transferred to him on April 8th, 1904. The rateable value was 50 gross, 40 nett. The house had a back entrance. The licensed houses in the immediate neighbourhood were the “Mail Packet,” Woolcomber Street (56 yards), the “Providence,” Trevanion Stereet (88 yards); the “Star and Garter,” Trevanion Street (125 yards). The house stood back from the street 39 feet. The accommodation included a billiard room.

Chief Inspector Lockwood said that he served the notice on the 23rd January. On the 22nd January he visited the house at 3.20 p.m., and found no customers; at 10.30 a.m. on the 23rd January, no customers; at 10.35 a.m. on the 27th January, two customers; at 7.40 p.m. on the 29th January, no customers; at 5.10 p.m. on the 30th January, no customers; and at 9.25 p.m. on the 31st January, three customers.

The Magistrates decided to report the licence for compensation.



I also have reference to a "Guilford Arms" or "Guilford Tavern" which I assume to be the same building, but these predate this one.



Last pub licensee had PENTECOST William June/1860-77 (age 49 in 1861Census) Post Office Directory 1874

ROBINSON Edwin to Nov/1881 (age 39 in 1881Census) Dover Express

AUSTIN James Nov/1881-82 Next pub licensee had Dover ExpressPost Office Directory 1882 (Late butler to the Marquis of Conyngham.)

NEWMAN W to Mar/1893 Dover Express (Kept the house for many years)

HORTON W Mar/1893+ Dover Express

HAWKINS William Webber 1891-Jan/1900 (age 36 in 1891Census) Post Office Directory 1891Pikes 1895Kelly's Directory 1899Dover Express

SANTER Henry Jan/1900+ Dover Express (late of Tonbridge)

KNIGHT George James 1903-Jan/04 Next pub licensee had Post Office Directory 1903Kelly's 1903

DENNY James 1904-13 (age 45 in 1911Census) Post Office Directory 1913


Post Office Directory 1882From the Post Office Directory 1882

Post Office Directory 1891From the Post Office Directory 1891

Pikes 1895From Pikes Dover Blue Book 1895

Kelly's Directory 1899From the Kelly's Directory 1899

Post Office Directory 1903From the Post Office Directory 1903

Kelly's 1903From the Kelly's Directory 1903

Post Office Directory 1913From the Post Office Directory 1913

Post Office Directory 1874From the Post Office Directory 1874

Dover ExpressFrom the Dover Express



If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-