Sort file:- Dover, July, 2021.

Page Updated:- Saturday, 31 July, 2021.

PUB LIST PUBLIC HOUSES Barry Smith and Paul Skelton

Earliest 1901

(Name from)


Latest Oct 1940

38 Townwall Street



The Chandos in the late 1940's, this was taken down in the 60's to make way for the new dual carriageway.


The sign of the "Liverpool Arms" was taken down sometime between 1895 and 1901. It sold for 2,500 in 1906 when it parted company with C. L. Adams and it was re-fronted in 1929.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday 6 July, 1906. Price 1d.



At the Dover Police Court this morning before Messrs. M. Pepper, J. W. Bussey, E. Chitty, and Capt. R. B. Cay, R.N. an application was made by Mr. Eugene Carder on behalf of Mr. W. A. Walsh prospective tenant of Messrs. Shepherd Neame and Co of the “Chandos” public house, Townwall Street, for permission to draw until the next transfer day.

Mr. Montague Bradley, on behalf of Mr. George James Knight the old tenant appeared to object to the transfer he being then in possession of the premises.

Mr. Carder said that mainly these applications were purely formal, and as regards the character of the house it should be so now, as the present tenant had been in the house a year and a half, and the previous one many years. The house, however, some time ago had been sold to Messrs. Shepherd Neame and Co. gave three months notice to quit on Mr. Knight not necessarily with the intention of his leaving, but in order to enter into correspondence. Subsequently, Mr. Night went to Messrs. Shepherd and Neame stating that owing to the increased prices, compared with which he had been paying as a free house for beer he would accept the notice to determine the tenancy. At a later date, the landlords stated that Mr. Knight was about to take another public house two doors away, and they finding that they were hindered in getting a tenant by that that they asked Mr. Knight to agree not to take a public house within half a mile, and subsequently they stood the terms not to take a public house in Townwall Street. Mr. Knight would not consent to that restriction and the landlords on their part told him that unless he signed the agreement they would not take his fixtures at the agreement. The tenant had previously signed a lease agreeing to oppose the transfer of the licence.

The Chairman: Does the present holder of the licence refuse to give it up?

Mr. Carder: I cannot tell what position his solicitor will take, but he has said he would refuse.

George Doorman, Messrs. Shepherd and Neame manager said that his firm were the owners of the “Chandos.” He produced the agreement under seal by which the present tenant holds the “Chandos.” That contained a covenant that the landlord might assign any assent for dealing with his tenancy on the termination of the tenancy, and further on that he would not oppose any application for the successor of his licence.

Cross-examined by Mr. Bradley: The covenant referred to the transfer of the licence, and all acts relating to this transfer.

Mr. Bradley: It does not refer specifically to an application for permission to draw.

Witness: It is necessary to it.

Mr. Bradley: In an ordinary case there is nothing to prevent a transfer being obtained without a temporary authority.

Witness continuing: In March wrote to Mr. Knight stating the prices of the beer and porter, etc. that would be supplied. They were higher than he had been paying as was customary to having been a tied house. There was however an advantage to him in the supply of spirits. Afterwards he wrote stating that he would give up the tenancy. About three weeks ago he told Mr. Knight that he had agreed to take a house in the very same vicinity as the “Chandos,” that had prevented them obtaining a tenant, as they would not take it under the circumstances. It gave him a document to sign and told him that if he did not sign it they would not take him out on valuation. He might have had 600 on getting in.

Mr. Bradley: You stated your intention to inflict a loss on him in order to prevent him setting up a few yards distance? There was nothing in the agreement not to set up any where else. There was nothing in the agreement that we should take him on at a valuation.

Witness said that they had offered to alter the clause “not to take a house on Townwall Street,” instead of half a mile, as originally suggested. They did not proceed with an application with a man named as last tenant, as he had had the money.

The notice served to quit served on Mr. Knight was then produced the term being to three months expiring July 6th.

Mr. Bradley said that his client did not wish to annoy the landlords by refusing to the terms for, but when he was asked to sign an agreement not to take a public house within half a mile of the “Chandos,” he felt that he ought not to sign it, and although that was subsequently altered to a prohibition as to Townwall Street only, the first pistol held to his head did not make it easier to come to an agreement after. Owing to his client not signing the agreement the landlord refused to adopt the usual course of taking his fixtures at a valuation, and thereby inflicting great loss on Mr. Wright, who had paid nearly 600 on going in, and the valuable wall fittings would if taken out be of little value than firewood.

George James Knight, the tenant of the “Chandos,” said he was the tenant under an agreement date April 1904, from Messrs. Adams. It was a free house for beer but not for spirits. He did not wish to leave if he were treated unfairly. After Messrs. Shepherd and Neame bought the house he received a letter quoting the prices of the beer, etc. they would supply. They were higher than the prices he had been paying. It was by reason of that he felt he could not remain, and he thereafter accepted notice to quit. Mr. Boorman asked him to sign a contract not to take another licensed house within half a mile of the “Chandos.” He declined to enter into it, and Mr. Boorman said that his term would not take him out by valuation if he did not sign. He paid 598 valuation when he went in, without expenses. About 300 to 400 for fixtures. If taken out they would be of little value. He refused to sign the contract licence, he wished to choose when he should go, and not to annoy Messrs. Shepherd Neame and Co. he objected to the authority being given as he was now in possession.

Cross-examined: The “Robin Hood” was two doors away. That house was a tied house belonging to Messrs. Beer and Co. he had not agreed to take it and had not paid any deposit. He did not sign such an agreement previous to the contract being submitted by Messrs. Shepherd and Neame. He knew Beer and Co's prices for tied beer. They were not higher than Messrs. Shepherd and Neame.

The Magistrates' Clerk: Are you getting out today?

No, I have not removed my fixtures.

Mr. Carder: Do you refuse to give up possession today?

Yes, I refuse to give up possession.

The Bench then retired to consider the case and after a few minutes returned, the Chairman stating that they had decided to adjourn the case until transfer day, which would be the 3rd of August.

The effect of this will be that the parties will be left to their civil remedies.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday 10 August, 1906. Price 1d.


At The “Chandos” of which there was a dispute between the outgoing tenant and the owners was settled, Mr. Carder stating that they were now in possession of the premises, and permission to draw had last week been granted to the new tenant. The transfer was confirmed.

The “Robin Hood,” Townwall Street, was stated to be in the course of rebuilding, and the transfer was confirmed.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday 20 March, 1914. Price 1d.


A case of sudden death was investigated by the Borough Coroner (Mr. Sydenham Payn) at an inquest, held at the “Esplanade Hotel” on Monday afternoon, on the body of Mr. Frederick Twyman, aged 34, of 12, High Street, who died whilst in the bar of the “Chandos,” Townwall Street, on Sunday night.

The Coroner briefly outlined the case, and said that he had some recollection of having held an inquest on deceased's mother some little time ago, who died from falling out of bed or something like that.

Mr. Buntz was chosen foreman of the Jury.

The following evidence was given:-

Mr. H. Twyman, 12, High Street, identified the body as that of his son, Alfred Frederick Twyman. Deceased was formerly a carpenter in the Navy, but left about a year ago. He had been working on the telephone cable laying, but just lately he had been working as a watchman in which position his duties consisted of attending to the lights on the Priory Bridge, where work is being carried out. On Sunday deceased went out shortly after 5 p.m. to light up, and returned in about half an hour, and had some tea, and then returned at about 6.30 to his work. That was the last the witness saw of him, and he was then as bright as he had ever been, and made no complaints. He used occasionally to suffer from severe kidney trouble, and with sharp spasms and shortness of breath. At about 10.45 p.m. a Constable informed him of deceased's death. Deceased had no lights to attend to in the vicinity of the “Chandos” on Sunday night, but had been on duty there previously. Deceased had not been attended by a doctor since he left the Navy, although he had been advised to have medical advice on account of his chest trouble.
Mr. William Collins, landlord of the “Chandos,” Townwall Street, said that on Sunday evening deceased went into his house alone about 9.15 and asked for “two of stout.” He drank about a third of it, and sat down on a chair in the bar. There was only one other person in the bar at the time. He sat there until about 9.30, when witness was called to the bar, and saw the other customer holding deceased up. Attempts were made to induce deceased to take some water and also some brandy, but he could not take either, and appeared to be dead. Witness immediately informed the Policeman on point duty, who came and saw the deceased. A doctor was sent for at once, and pronounced life to be extinct. Deceased was then removed on an ambulance to the mortuary. Deceased did not speak while in the bar apart from ordering the stout.

Mr. H. Tritton, boatman of Clarence Street, said that he was in the “Chandos” when deceased went in on Sunday evening, and after ordering the stout the deceased sat down on a stool near the counter without speaking. In a short time he swayed, and laid his head on the counter and witness caught him in the act of falling off his stool. Witness put him back on the stool, and another customer assisted him to place deceased in a low chair. Deceased might have been just alive, but looked very ill indeed, and he did not speak a word. When the doctor came he said that deceased was dead, and he was removed by the Police to the mortuary. Everything was quiet in the house.

P.C. G. Noel said that he was called to the “Chandos” at about 9.40 p.m. on Sunday by Mr. Collins. When he saw deceased there was a little moisture running from his mouth. Nobody seemed to know deceased, but on searching him he found a letter addressed to Mr. Twyman, 12, High Street, deceased's father, who he informed.

Dr. J. Baird, Police Sergeon, said that he found the deceased at the “Chandos” at about 9.45 p.m. on Sunday, lying back in a chair in the bar dead. There were no outward signs to indicate the cause of death. Having heard the evidence witness came to the conclusion that death was due to heart failure.

A verdict of death from natural causes was returned.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 9 August, 1929.


Plans were submitted for alteration to the "Chandos," Townwall Street, providing a new front, and these were approved.



It closed for the duration of hostilities in October 1940 and never reopened.


Reinstatement of war damage was refused in December 1950 and a compulsory purchase order was made in January 1954 and confirmed in May 1955. By then it was for the former site of the "Chandos". It became the property of the town when compensation of 770 was paid. In return, the town envisaged a converted value payment of 620.



Name from "Liverpool Arms."

Last pub licensee had DANE Edward Thomas 1901-1903+ (age 40 in 1901Census) Post Office Directory 1903Post Office Directory 1903Kelly's 1903

Last pub licensee had KNIGHT George James Jan/1904-Aug/06 Next pub licensee had Dover Express

COLLINS William 1906-Jan/25 Pikes 1909Post Office Directory 1913Post Office Directory 1922Pikes 1923Pikes 1924Dover Express

RUFUS Frederick William Jan/1925-Apr/26 Dover Express (Of Beckenham, Kent)

KINGSMAN William Apr/1926-32+ Dover ExpressPost Office Directory 1930Pikes 1932-33 (Of George Street, Maidstone)

KINGSMAN Mrs E 1933-38 Pikes 1938-39

PITMAN Mrs Emily 1938-47 end Post Office Directory 1938



Post Office Directory 1903From the Post Office Directory 1901

Post Office Directory 1903From the Post Office Directory 1903

Kelly's 1903From the Kelly's Directory 1903

Pikes 1909From Pikes Dover Blue Book 1909

Post Office Directory 1913From the Post Office Directory 1913

Post Office Directory 1922From the Post Office Directory 1922

Pikes 1923From Pikes Dover Blue Book 1923

Pikes 1924From Pikes Dover Blue Book 1924

Post Office Directory 1930From the Post Office Directory 1930

Pikes 1932-33From Pikes Dover Blue Book 1932-33

Post Office Directory 1938From the Post Office Directory 1938

Pikes 1938-39From Pikes Dover Blue Book 1938-39

Dover ExpressFrom the Dover Express


If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-