Sort file:- Dover, April, 2024.

Page Updated:- Tuesday, 09 April, 2024.

PUB LIST PUBLIC HOUSES Barry Smith and Paul Skelton

Earliest 1840

(Name from 1)

Eagle Hotel

(Name to 1)

(Name to 2)

Open  2022+

324 London Road and 2 Tower Hamlets Road


Eagle hote pre 1900

The above photo shows the "Eagle Hotel" before 1900. Just by the gentleman's head on the right is also just seen the original "Royal Standard." It also appears as if the pub today has another 2 storeys added to the one shown here.

Eagle advert 1890

Above advert circa 1890. Kindly sent my Ken Chapman.

Eagle 1931

Above postcard postmarked 8th July 1931. Kindly sent by Graham Butterworth.

Eagle 1930s

Above photo, 1930s when it was part of the Samuel Smith's chain..

Eagle 1958

Above photo, circa 1958, kindly sent by Rory Kehoe.

Eagle Hotel circa 1987

Eagle 1976 (Photo by Paul Skelton)

Eagle circa 1980

Above and below Eagle circa 1980 by Barry Smith.

Eagle circa 1980 Eagle sign 1973Eagle sign 1990

Eagle sign left, 1973, sign right August 1990.

Above with thanks from Brian Curtis


On a commanding corner position, the original was built on the former site of the "Black Horse", shortly after 1840. It possessed a tea garden but that attraction was discontinued when it was rebuilt in 1863. Brockman served in 1843 and might well have been the first to do so.


Kentish Gazette, 23 January 1844.


Jan. 13, Mr. J. Brockman, keeper of the "Eagle Tavern and Tea Gardens, at Charlton, Dover.


Kentish Gazette, 13 February 1844.



ALL Persons indebted to the Estate of JOHN BROCKMAN, late of the "Eagle Tavern," DOVOR, are required to pay their respective debts at our Office, within one month, or they will be sued. And any parties who have claims on the said estate are requested to deliver particulars thereof at the same office, in order that they may be examined.

By order of the Administratrix, KENNNET and SON, 12th February, 1844. Solicitors, Dovor.


From the Dover Telegraph and Cinque Ports General Advertiser, Saturday 23 May, 1846. Price 5d.


An inquest was held on Tuesday, at the "Eagle Gardens," Charlton, before G. T. Thompson, Esq., coroner for the Borough, on the body of William Wellard, mariner, aged 19.

The first witness was called:

Richard Wellard, father of deceased, who deposed: In September last I entered my son as cabin boy on board the schooner Falcon, of Whitby. He came home at Christmas in good health, and he then wished to be apprenticed on board the same vessel. On Saturday last he again returned, when, from his altered appearance, I scarcely knew him. The next day finding him very ill I sent for Mr. Walter.

Elizabeth Wellard, wife of last witness, deposed: When deceased came home he complained of being ill and said he had been put on shore from his vessel at Deal. He said he had not been allowed to write home, but did not otherwise complain of ill-treatment.

John Walter, surgeon, deposed: I was on Sunday called to see deceased, who was then in the last stage of low fever, of which he died the following morning. He complained on no pain in his back, nor did I discover any marks of injury or violence on his person. Under an attack of fever a person ought to have been kept perfectly quiet, and not exposed to the weather or work.

The jury here expressed a wish to have evidence of the treatment the lad had received on board, for which purpose the enquiry was adjourned till the following day, and the coroner issued his warrant for the attendance of the master and crew of the vessel.


The jury re-assembled on Wednesday, when the first witness called was John Hawkesfield, seaman on board the Falcon, who deposed: On Wednesday last deceased complained of a sore throat, and on the following day a pain in his back, which he said was caused by a cork fender falling on him. He appeared to suffer from cold, and I told him to take some nitre. He was worse on Friday, and was at his own request discharged from the vessel. The captain took him ashore at Deal in his own boat. I did not hear him complain of illness, or wish to be put on shore before. He never asked to write home. I never saw him ill-treated, but he was very dirty, and would never clean himself. He would have gone ashore at Deal in his shirt sleeves had I not given him fresh clothing. The captain was always kind to him, and I only saw him strike him once slightly for eating some sugar. We put into Dover harbour on Saturday last, wind-bound, and sailed the following Monday.

Thomas Bingham, jun., master of the Falcon, deposed: Deceased had sailed with me since the first of March last. He did not complain of any illness till Sunday week, when he said he had a sore throat. The vessel was then at Middleborough, and he ate a hearty dinner on that day. On Thursday he said his throat was still troublesome, and I gave him some rhubarb, that being the only medicine I had on board. We made the Downs on Friday last, when deceased wished to be discharged, and I sent him ashore at Deal the following morning. He walked up the beach, but appeared weak. I saw him put his hammock into a fish cart, and he said he was going to ride to Dover. I did not know his father lived in Dover. He never asked to go on shore, and was not prevented from writing home. I never struck him with a ropes-end, and he appeared satisfied with his berth.

The jury after a short consultation returned a verdict "that deceased died from natural causes," and added, that there was no imputation against the character of the master.


From the Dover Telegraph and Cinque Ports General Advertiser, Saturday, 17 April, 1847. Price 5d.


On Monday afternoon an inquest was held at the “Eagle Tavern,” Charlton, before G. T. Thompson, Esq., Coroner, on the body of Charles Wilson, aged 4 years, son of Stephen Wilson, labourer, in the employ of Mr. Joseph Walker, and whose death was occasioned by his clothes having caught fire. The Jury having been sworn, the body was viewed, after which the following evidence was adduced:-

John Young, labourer, deposed: On Sunday morning last, at 8 o'clock, I heard children screaming, and on going into Wilson's house I saw a child with its clothes in flames, which I immediately extinguished, and took off the remains of its dress. There were only two other little children in the room. There were some scorched peas strewn on the floor.

Edmund Bath, stoker at Mr. Brock's mill, deposed: While at breakfast on Saturday morning I heard children screaming, and on looking out of the window was smoke coming out of Wilson's door. I ran across, and on going in saw Young wrapping a baize cloth round deceased, and on assisting him in pulling off the burnt clothes.

Mary Wilson, mother of deceased, deposed: On Saturday morning I left home a little before 8 o'clock, to take my husband his breakfast. He was working at Mr. Walker's mill, at Finnis Hill. I left deceased in bed asleep. The other boy, aged 6 years, was up; and I left the youngest child in a chair for him to take care of. When I returned I found deceased had been burnt. He lingered till 8 o'clock in the evening, when he expired. Deceased could not dress himself, but his brother had been taught to do so. About 12 months since I found the children playing with matches. I corrected them, and have not seen them do so since. I cannot say how the accident originated. The eldest boy told me that he went next door to buy a farthing's worth of scorched peas.

Verdict. – Accidental Death.


From the Dover Telegraph and Cinque Ports Advertiser, 6 January, 1849.

Thomas Saunders, a shoemaker, was charged with carrying off a beer glass from the Eagle Tavern, Charlton. From the evidence, it appeared that several young men were drinking at the "Eagle" on the previous evening (Sunday) and having broken two glasses, they were hidden to prevent discovery of the damage, one of them being  pocketed by Saunders. - Ordered to pay the cost of the glasses and the summons.


From the Dover Telegraph and Cinque Ports General Advertiser, Saturday 20 November 1852.

Eagle Gardens, Charlton.

Foord's Eagle Gardens open on Tuesday, November 23rd and continue during the fair.

Talented quadrille band will be in attendance.

Refreshments of every description of first-rate quality, at moderate charges. Good fires and good order will be constantly kept. Dancing to commence at 8. Admission 6d.


Kentish Gazette, 9 May 1854.

Coroners Inquest.

On Saturday evening last a coroner's inquest was empanelled at the "Eagle Tavern," Charlton, before G. T. Thompson, Esq., the coroner for the borough, to enquire into the circumstances connected with the death of a child aged six months, named Ann Maria Hearn, whose parents resided in Bridge Street, Charlton.

It was stated that death had occurred from suffocation, it appearing that the child had been laid in a bed by the person in whose charge it had been left, and who upon going to it some time afterwards found it had sunk below the bed clothes, and was just breathing its last. From the evidence that was adduced, it appeared that the parents of the child occupied a house jointly with a Mrs. Farr, and that the mother of the deceased on leaving home on the morning of the occurrence left the child in Mrs. Farr's charge. It then appeared in good health. The mother also stated that it was a healthy child, and was generally well.

Mrs. Farr said that she laid the deceased down about half-past 11 o'clock the same morning, and on going to look at it an hour and a half afterwards found that it was just expiring. She immediately called in a neighbour, in whose arms the deceased breathed its last.

K. T. Hunt, Esq., the parish surgeon, who it appeared had been called in, was here examined as to the cause of death; but being unable to state positively upon this point, the jury adjourned till the following Monday, in order that a post mortem examination might be made in the interim.

Upon again assembling on Monday, Mr. Hunt, being recalled, said:— I yesterday made a post mortem examination of the deceased child. From the large size of the head my attention was first drawn to the necessity of opening it; and on removing the skull-cap I found the membranes of the brain very much thickened, the substance of the brain highly congested, and the lateral ventricles containing a large quantity of fluid. Such appearances would occasion convulsions, which would result in death. I examined the chest. The lungs presented a very healthy appearance, indicating that the child did not die from suffocation. The heart and all the other organs were healthy, and presented a natural appearance. I attribute the death of the child to convulsions arising from the state of the brain.

The jury, without further deliberation, returned a verdict of "Died from natural causes."


From the Dover Express and East Kent Intelligencer, 2 October, 1858.



There was a claim for 11 2s. 1d. for gas supplied to the "Eagle Tavern," Charlton. Mr. Fox appeared for the plaintiffs, Mr. Elwin for defendant.

Mr. R. H. Jones, one of the managers of the Dover Gas Light Company, stated that at the end of the year 1856, a Mr. Foord was in occupation of the "Eagle Tavern," Charlton, but in the beginning of 1857, the Gas Company having threatened to cut off the supply, Mr. Smith, the defendant, requested, that it might be continued, and guaranteed payment of the debt due. Foord renewed his occupation in the following February, and had since kept the gas account paid up.

Mr. T Winterbourn, collector, in the employ of the Gas Light Company, corroborated the statement of Mr. Jones as to Smith's admission of his ability and his promise to pay the claim due by Foord.

Mr. Elwin, for the defendant, contended that although the trade assignee of Mr. Foord he was not liable for the debts of the bankrupt. He called Mr. Smith, who denied that he ever became liable for Foord's debts. All he promised to the Gas Company was that if he got the money out of the Bankrupt Court he would pay them.

Verdict for defendant, with costs.


From the Dover Express. 1861.

Juvenile Pickpockets.

Ellen Goldfinch and Barbara Duff, two girls one nine and the other 10 years of age where charged with picking the pocket of Mary Garlinge wife of William Garlinge, New Street, in the Eagle Gardens, Charlton on Monday. It appeared that “Charlton Fair” was held at the Eagle Gardens on the evening in question.

Complainant went into the gardens and shortly after coming out she missed her purse containing a florin and some other coins together with four or five pawnbroker's duplicates. She remembered pulling out her purse shortly after getting into the gardens and was positive she replaced it in her pocket.

The prisoner Goldfinch was apprehended by P.C. Terry on Thursday afternoon in Limekiln Street and on being told by the constable of the charge against her she said “Yes Barbara Duff told me to take it.” She first put her hand in but would not take the purse out. I then put my hand in and took the purse.

Mrs. Garlinge was with the constable when this took place and nothing was said to induce the child to make the confession. She was afterwards taken to the Station House and on the charge being read over she again admitted that she had taken the purse out of the complainant's pocket. Terry afterwards apprehended the prisoner Duff at a house in Church Street. She said she did not take the purse but that she had one duplicate which she had torn up and part of the money. She also repeated this statement on being cautioned in the usual way at the Police Station.

Supt. Coram in reply to the magistrates said the girl Goldfinch was brought before the Bench three years ago charged with pocket picking but she was then only six years old, and in consequence of her tender age the charge was not pressed. In the interim there had been some complaint made against her by her schoolmistress but it was not gone into. The prisoners both pleaded guilty and the Bench in sentencing them to seven days imprisonment censured their mothers who were both present for the want of care they had manifested in the control of their children. The magistrates also said they were of the opinion that Mr. Foord the proprietor of the Eagle Gardens, was much to blame for permitting the “fair” to take place on his premises and intimidated that the circumstances would not be forgotten when he applied for renewal of license.


Information kindly supplied by Joyce Banks.


From the Dover Express and East Kent Intelligencer, 11 April, 1863.


Permission to sell at the "Eagle Tavern," Charlton, was given to Mr. George Prescott. Superintendent Coram, in reply to the Bench, said complaints had been made of the manner in which the "Eagle" had been conducted, and the Magistrates advised the new landlord to be careful. The outgoing tenant was Mr. James Foord.


From the Dover Express and East Kent Intelligencer, 12 September, 1863.


George Prescott of the "Eagle," Charlton, failed to answer his name at the Dover Police Court Annual Licensing day and therefore had to go to Broadstairs to get the license renewed.

It is not know whether he did as January the following year shows George Chatwin as licensee.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 13 February, 1864.


Frederick Keyton, summoned for the assault on George William Chatwin, the landlord of the "Eagle Tavern," was dismissed. The complainant charged him with throwing some dirt at him, but defendant said the dirt went over complainant by accident, the latter passing his cart as he was shovelling it in.


Maidstone Journal and Kentish Advertiser, Monday 25 July 1864.

EAGLE TAVERN, DOVER, KENT. Eligible Freehold Building Land.

Mr. Whittingham is instructed to sell by auction, at the "Royal Oak Hotel," Cannon Street, Dover, on Wednesday, July the 27th, 1864, at six for seven o'clock in the evening, in 32 lots, the first portion of the eligible Freehold Building Land, situate in the Canterbury Road and Black Horse Lane, formerly being part of the "Eagle Tavern" Grounds.

The corner lot, with frontages to the Canterbury Road and Black Horse Lane, is set apart for the erection of a Tavern; the present building to be pulled down.

Nine-tenths of the purchase money may be remain on mortgage or contract at 5 per cent., to be paid in nine years by half-yearly instalments; but the whole or any part of the balance may be paid off at any time without notice.

Particulars, plans, and conditions of sale may be obtained about ten days before the sale, at the "Eagle Tavern;" of the foreman on the estate; of Messrs. Russell and Davies, 59, Coleman Street, E.C.; of the Auctioneer, No. 14, Moorgate Street, London, E.C.; and at the place of sale.


From the Dover Express and East Kent Intelligencer, 22 April, 1865.


Isaac Watson, the landlord of the "Eagle Tavern," Charlton, was charged with having his house open in the hours of divine service on Sunday, April 9th, contrary to the form of his licence.

The offence was proved by police-sergeant Stevens, who said that about half-past nine in the morning of the day named in the information he went to the defendant's house, and found a man, who belonged to the parish of Charlton, sitting on a table with a quart of beer before him. The father of the defendant's wife was also in the room, and he took the pot off the table as soon as witness appeared, and endeavoured to hide it behind a coal-scuttle.

The defendant said he was not about at the time, and that the beer was drawn by a nephew of his who had no business at the engine.

The police-officer said that men were frequently seen to leave the house of this defendant in the prohibited hours, although he admitted that this was the first case the police had been able to bring home to him.

The Magistrates gave defendant the benefit of every assumption that might be made in his favour, and fined him, as the penalty of a first offence, 2s. 6d., and the costs, 10s.



The new house had teething troubles from the start and by 1868 the licence was suspended.


From the Dover Express and East Kent Intelligencer, 11 September, 1868.



In the name of the "Eagle Tavern," landlord Frederick Adams.

Superintendent Coram said that the house had been greatly complained of by the neighbours during the time Mr. Adams had conducted it, and that the police had found it necessary on several occasions to interfere. Reports to this effect had been made both by Sergeant Stevens and Sergeant Johnson.

Police-constable Baker, who had also found it necessary to make a report of proceedings at the house, was examined. He said that on one occasion he found a mob around the door, and found the landlord in an excited state and a great disturbance in the bar. On his getting to the door Adams ordered him to come in and clear the house. He declined to do that, but said he would stand by the door, while the landlord cleared the bar, and that if there was any breach of the peace he would do his duty. He remained for some time, but the landlord made no attempt to clear the house, and he was, in fact, under the influence of liquor.

Mr. Adams made a statement with the view of showing that the police were not inclined to give him that degree of assistance in keeping order which it was their duty to render, and made special complaint of the conduct of Police-constable Faith.

Faith was present, but the Magistrates did not think it necessary to call upon him for any reply; and they informed Mr. Adams that his license would not be renewed that day, but would be suspended.

Mr. Adams: Till when?

The Mayor: You will have liberty to make application at Broadstairs, when the Magistrates sit there.


From the Dover Express and East Kent Intelligencer, 17 July, 1868. Price 1d.


A charge of embezzlement brought by Mr. Adams, the landlord of the "Eagle Tavern," against a man named John Dennis. was to have been proceeded with today, but the defendant, who had undertaken voluntarily to come before the magistrates, was not in attendance.

From the statement of Mr. Adams it appeared that Dennis was employed on a recent occasion as door-keeper to a dancing saloon at the rear of the tavern, the charge for admission to which was two-pence, and that Dennis having received certain two-pence's for admission, vacated his post, and allowed such as pleased to have ingress to the saloon free of cost. Mr. Adams was prepared, he said, to prove the breach of trust in two or three cases where the admission money was paid to this effect having just been taken, the police received instructions to secure the attendance of Dennis on Friday (this day).


From the Dover Express and East Kent Intelligencer, 31 July, 1868. Price 1d.


William Gibbons, a labourer, was charged with drunkenness by Police-constable Baker, on Sunday afternoon, opposite the "Eagle Tavern," at Charlton, was fined 5s. and 6s. costs. In the case of the defendant was one, and the worst, of four or five men who were standing outside the "Eagle Tavern" between four and five o'clock in the afternoon, all more or less drunk, and were amusing themselves by insulting every respectably-dressed person who passed.

The practice in which the prisoner had indulged, the policeman explained, was not at all an uncommon one; and Superintendent Coram said it was of such a serious nature that he had been obliged to put an extra policeman on the beat with the view of repressing it.

The defendant said he had no money; and the Magistrates told him he must go to prison, then, for seven days.


From the Dover Express and East Kent Intelligencer, 31 July, 1868. Price 1d.


Thomas Minter, a labourer, living at Tower Hamlets, was charged with drunkenness and disorderly conduct in front of the "Eagle Tavern," Charlton, at half-past ten o'clock on the previous night, and was fined 1s. and the costs.

The police repeated what had transpired on the previous day that the disorderly conduct of the persons frequenting the "Eagle Tavern" was becoming a serious nuisance to the neighbourhood, and Mr. Finnis said he thought that if an improvement did not take place the Magistrates would be justified in taking some special action in the matter.


From the Dover Express and East Kent Intelligencer, 14 August, 1868. Price 1d.


William George Prescott, a labourer living at Charlton, was charged with drunkenness and unlawfully obstructing Mr. Frederick Adams, the landlord of the "Eagle Tavern," in his business.

It appeared that the defendant had been drinking at the "Eagle," and having taken a brief nap in a chair he arose in a volatile frame of mind and threatened to turn the rest of the customers out of the house. The landlord, considering that the defendant was obstructing him in his business, sent for a policeman and had him removed.

It appeared that the defendant had been locked up since the preceding day; and he was therefore, after a suitable admonition, set at liberty.


From the Dover Express and East Kent Intelligencer, 21 August, 1868. Price 1d.


William Beer was charged with obstructing the footway in High Street on Saturday night. It appeared that a disturbance was caused at the "Eagle Tavern," a house about which complaints are made daily (or nightly) by the inhabitants.

As this was the first time defendant had been brought up, he too was discharged on paying 2s. for the hearing.


John Wood was also charged with disorderly conduct in High Street, and further with assaulting police-constable Faith.

Police-constable Faith said that on Saturday night, about half-past eleven, he was on duty at Charlton. The landlord of the "Eagle Tavern" came after him, and asked him to put defendant out of his house because of the disgraceful language he was using. He went to the house, and hearing defendant's conversation he asked him to go out, which he did. As soon as he got out, however, he, having a pint of beer in his hand, threw it directly at the constable's head. It struck him on the shoulder, and then struck a son of Mr. Clark on the leg. After this defendant ran away to the "Royal Standard" public-house, from which he afterwards was removed with the assistance of police-constable Sabin.

By the defendant: I did not push you backwards.

Defendant said the pot fell out of his hand; he did not throw it.

The Magistrates imposed a fine of 8s. 6d., including costs, which was paid.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 18 September, 1868.


James Dowell, a costermonger belonging to Charlton, was charged with assaulting Mrs. Clara Adams, wife of Frederick Adams, the landlord of the "Eagle Tavern."

Mr. Lewis appeared for the complainant, and stated that the defendant's absence from the town was the reason of the summons not being issued earlier.

Clara Adams, wife of Frederick Adams, said the defendant was in the bar of the "Eagle Tavern" on the 20th August. She was in the bar alone, and on defendant asking to be supplied with some gin, she refused to serve him, as he had already been drinking. On her refusing he took up a half-pint tumbler and threw it at her, making use of violent language at the time. The tumbler struck her on the shoulder. He also threw at her an iron spittoon. Her husband came in shortly afterwards, and she told him what Dowle had done. Dowle told her husband that if he would come round the bar he would serve him the same. In consequence of the defendant's violent proceedings and his threatening language she went in bodily fear of him. He exclaimed several times that he would murder both her and her husband.

Frederick Adams deposed to finding the spittoon in the middle of the bar, and observing sawdust on his wife's dress, on entering the bar. Dowle was present, and on his asking his wife what was the matter, Dowle exclaimed that "he had served her _____ well right." This witness gave corroborating evidence as to the defendant's violent threats.

The defendant denied that he used any threats or did anything like what he was imputed to him, and declared he was "solid and sober."

George Williams said he was in the bar with Dowle on the race-day. The defendant came in with another man and called for some ale. Adam's who was at the bar, as well as his wife, told the defendant to go to ____, as she should not serve him. He also leaned over the bar and struck the defendant. Dowle asked why he had done that, and Adams told him to go out of his house or he should put him out, at the same time pulling off his coat and offering to fight him.

Israel Hicks, a labourer employed in the Gas Works, was also called for the defendant, and corroborated his story.

The Magistrates considered justice of the case would be met by the defendant being bound over in his own recognizance's to keep the peace for six months, which was done.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 18 September, 1868.


James Dowell, a costermonger belonging to Charlton, for whose apprehension a warrant was issued on the 24th August, was brought up in custody, charged with threatening the life of Frederick Adams, the landlord of the "Eagle Tavern," Charlton. The threats alleged to have made use of by the defendant were said to have been uttered on the evening of the 20th August - the day of Dover Races - and on the summons being issued it was found, on this day that it was made returnable, that the defendant had left the town. Upon the affidavit of the complainant a warrant was then granted by the Magistrates, and upon the warrant the defendant had been apprehended on returning to the town the previous day.

The defendant, on the charge being read over to him, indignantly denied that he was the transgressor, and said that Adams himself ought to stand in his place, as he had caused whatever disturbance had been created on the race night.

Frederick Adams, on being sworn, said the defendant came into his bar on the evening of the 20th, between five and six o'clock, and called for two pennyworth of gin and water. Witness declined to serve him, as he considered he had had enough to drink already, whereupon the defendant became very abusive and threatened to murder him, declaring that his bar-shutters should be ornamented with his brains on the following morning. In consequence of these threats he went in bodily fear of the defendant. Adams also mentioned that the defendant had been a source of great annoyance to him for some time, as he had been the instigator of disturbance which had taken place at his house. [The complainant's license was suspended on the annual licensing day.]

Magistrates: I suppose strong language is commonly indulged in my your customers?

Complainant said it was unfortunately so to too great an extent.

Magistrates: Then language of this sort would hardly have the same force used in your house as it would in other places.

Complainant was obliged to admit that this was the fact.

In cross-examination by the defendant complainant declared to swear that the time which the disturbance took place was between five and six. It might have been more in the evening part, but he was certain he had stated the time correctly within an hour.

The defendant: It was between eight and nine, Sir.

Complainant in reply to another question put by the defendant; denied that he employed him on the evening in question to wash up glasses behind the bar. He also denied that he struck him in the first instant, or in any way gave cause for the creature of any disturbance. If the Bench wanted corroborative proof he could have his wife in attendance on the following day.

The Magistrates would have no objection to granting a remand, if the complainant could furnish himself with any independent testimony, but if the only witness he could produce was his wife, it was of no use to grant a remand, as she could not be examined.

The defendant called a couple of witnesses, Frederick Keyton, another costermonger, who was in his company on the night in question, and George Williams, a lad sixteen years of age, who was in the bar at the time, who both stated that he made use of threatening language, but that Adam's conduct was on that occasion, as well as upon others, highly provocative of disturbance. The witness corroborated the defendant's statement as to the time of the occurrence.

The complainant impugned the testimony of both these witnesses, and denied that the boy was present at all; but he rather weakened the force of the latter assertion, and elicited much laughter, by enquiring immediately afterwards about something which had occurred when he "first came into the house."

The Magistrates dismissed the case, but advised Dowle to keep away from the "Eagle" for the future - a recommendation which the defendant promised to act upon.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 2 October, 1868.


William Jarrett was charged with stealing a pewter pot from the "Eagle Tavern," where he had been drinking Saturday afternoon. It appeared that the prisoner had secreted the pot, and after battering it had endeavoured to sell it for old pewter, but not succeeding he had had the impudence to bring it back to the owner. He was given into the custody of the police; and the Magistrates now sentenced him to fourteen days' imprisonment, with hard labour.


From the Maidstone and Kentish Journal, Saturday 8 January 1870.


Eligible Freehold Building Land.

Mr. Whittingham is instructed to sell by auction, at the "Royal Oak Hotel, "Cannon Street, Dover, on Wednesday, July the 27th, 1864, at six for seven o'clock in the evening, in 32 lots, the first portion of the Eagle Freehold Building Land, situate in the Canterbury Road and Black Horse Lane, formerly being part of the Eagle Tavern Grounds.

The corner lot, with frontages to the Canterbury Road and Black Horse Lane, is set apart for the erection of a Tavern; the present building to be pulled down.

Nine-tenths of the purchase money may remain on mortgage or contract at 5 per cent., to be paid in nine years by half-yearly instalments; but the whole or any part of the balance may be paid off at any time without notice.

Particulars, plans, and conditions of sale may be obtained about ten days before the sale, at the "Eagle Tavern;" of the foreman on the estate; of Messrs. Russell and Davies, 59 Coleman Street, E.C.; of the Auctioneer, No. 14, Moorgate Street, London, E. C.; and at the place of sale.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 14 January, 1887. Price 1d.


In this case the plaintiff, a furniture dealer, claimed of the defendant, a builder 1 4s. 10d. for a number of loads of bricks and bats.

The hearing of this case commenced at the last sitting when his Honor reserved judgement until the next Court.

Mr. Martyn Mowll, who appeared for the defendant, said that since the last court Mr. Jackson had traced the whereabouts of the man Petts, who had sold the bricks in question to him. Mr. Mowll had subpoenaed him as a witness, and hoped that his Honor would hear his evidence before giving judgement.

William Petts then deposed as follows: I live at Alexander Cottages, Ramsgate. I remember selling some bats to Mr. Jackson at the “Eagle Hotel.” I purchased them of the plaintiff, Mr. Davis. The bargain was made at the back of the Snargate Street premises about a fortnight previous to my taking them away, after having sold them to Mr. Jackson. I made arrangements to give plaintiff 4s. per load. I told him that I could not give more. There was no specific time for me to remove them. I subsequently agreed to sell them to Mr. Jackson for 6s. per load delivered. They were removed by two carts. Mr. Davis opened the gate when I went for the first load of bricks. We had a conversation together about the bricks and also about the two chimney pots which I had previously bought. I told him that I thought there were about seven or eight loads of bricks, but I found out that there were only six. Mr. Davis then said to me that he wished he had sold them to me for eight loads. I had paid him for the chimney pots, but they were no use, as I afterwards found they were broken. I offered 18s. as part payment for the bricks, but he refused to take it. He wanted 24s.

Mr. Davis subjected the witness Petts to a long cross-examination, in the course of which Petts replied that he did not take the bricks on the understanding that Mr. Dolbear was going to purchase them. They were not purchased in Dolbear's name.

In reply to his Honor, Mr. Davis said that after the bricks were gone he made out a bill and gave it to Mr. Dolbear. He refused to have any dealings with Petts. The bricks were removed on his having been given to understand that Mr. Dolbear was to have them.

His Honor was op opinion that Mr. Davis had allowed Petts to cart away the bricks with the understanding that they were going to Mr. Dolbear's, and gave judgement for the plaintiff for the amount claimed.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday 20 April, 1888.


The messenger recently employed in the Surveyor's office, named George Griffin and who was discharged a fortnight ago for drunkenness committed suicide on Thursday morning at his house in Peter Street. The deceased was a pensioner and when he first came to Dover was employed by Mrs. Johnson at the “Shaftsbury Caf” he being a member of the Good Templars at the time. Latterly he has given way to drink and after his last pension day he had another outbreak. The loss of his situation preyed on his mind, and no doubt his despondency led to the rash act which ended his career. An inquest was held at the “Eagle Inn” yesterday afternoon, when Mr. Wright was the foreman of the Jury. The evidence was to the effect that the deceased hung himself on Thursday morning, in the scullery of his dwelling house at 52 Peter Street and also that for the past fortnight he had given way to drink through which he lost his situation. A verdict of suicide during “Temporary insanity” was returned.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 13 February, 1891. Price 1d.


James Murton, Edward Murton, and Robert Murton, two brothers and a cousin, were charged with being drunk, disorderly, and using obscene language in London Road.

Police-constable Groombridge said that on Saturday night, about half-past seven, he was on duty in London Road, when he saw the three prisoners go across to the “Eagle,” and try the door. He told them they were too late, and they turned round and asked him what that was to do with him. He saw they were all drunk, and advised them to go home. They were making use of very bad language, and Police-constable Cook came, and also advised them to go away. They went up Tower Hamlets Road a little way, and came back again, and started using bad language. Then they took them into custody.

Police-constable David Cook corroborated the last witnesses evidence.

The Magistrates dismissed the prisoners, it being their first appearance; but severely cautioned them that if they were again brought up they would not be dealt with so leniently.



It next operated as the "Denmark Arms" but the new name did little to change its fortunes. The licensees changed every year up to 1877 and by 1893 the sign was once more the "Eagle".


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday 12 May, 1905. Price 1d.


An occasional licence was granted to Mr. H. Fowie, of the "Eagle Hotel," to sell refreshments at the Town Hall on Monday, 15th May, on the occasion of the presentation of the Dover Hospital Club.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday 6 July, 1906. Price 1d.


Arthur E Clark was charged with being drunk and disorderly and refusing to quit the “Eagle Hotel” when requested to do so.

Police-constable A. W. Holmes said that at 5.30 on Saturday evening he was outside the “Eagle Hotel,” and Mrs. Fowlie came out and said that the defendant was in the public bar wanting to fight. He appeared to have been fighting his right hand being bleeding. He refused to leave the house. On being ejected he became very rough and was taken to the Police Station by two constables.

The defendant said that if they would be lenient with him, he would give up the beer altogether.

He was fined 10s., including costs.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 7 March, 1913. Price 1d.


Mr. Harvey, of the “Eagle Hotel,” applied for an occasional licence to supply refreshment at the Drill Hall, Northampton Street, on March 12th, on the occasion of a St. Patrick's dance.

The application was granted.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 10 February, 1922.


Mr. Ovenden, of the "Eagle Hotel," was granted an extension for the dinner of the Dover Amateur Billiards Association on Wednesday.


From the Dover Express, 8 September, 1922.


At the Dover Police Court on Friday last, before Dr. C. Wood (in the chair) and Messrs. S. Lewis, W. B. Brett. T. Francis and C. E. Beaufoy.

Mr. E. Ovenden, licensee of the "Eagle Hotel," applied for an occasional licence to supply refreshment at the military tattoo and dance to be held in the Park from 7 p.m. to 11 p.m. on September 6th. He stated in his application that the dance was under the supervision of the Entertainments Committee, who were in favour of the application.

Chief Constable Green said that he had been in touch with the Town Clerk, and he stated that anything the Bench did would be subject to the approval of the Corporation on Tuesday, as no article could be sold there without their consent.

The Chairman, after the Magistrates had consulted, said that the Bench were not prepared to grant the application.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 16 November, 1923. Price 1d.


The licence of the "Eagle Hotel," London Road, was temporarily transferred from Mr. H. Beasley to Mr. W. H. Smith, of Sundridge, near Tunbridge Wells - The transfer was under the usual period, but a medical certificate was produced from Dr. Waugh, stating that Mr. Beasley had to give up the licence on account of his health.



The house was suggested for redundancy to the Compensation Committee in 1929. Perhaps the mayor had something to do with its continuation as James Robinson Cairns, landlord 1929-31 was the longest serving Mayor of Dover in the 20th century. (See info.)


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, 29 April, 1927. Price 1d.


At the Dover Police Court on Tuesday, before Messrs. W. J. Barnes and J. W. Bussey.

Walter Vincent, described as a horse trainer, was charged with (1) stealing by means of a trick or fraud, on April 10th, 1926, 10 in money, the property of Hugh Own Ellis; (2) stealing, by means of a trick or fraud, 5 in money, the property of Ida Mabel Gower Ellis.

Mr. De Wet defended.

Hugh Owen Ellis, landlord of the “Eagle Hotel,” London Road, Dover, said: On Thursday, April 8th, 1926, the prisoner came to the hotel and asked for a bed and breakfast and I accommodated him. He spent the evening in the saloon bar. He went out the following morning and came back o the Friday evening and slept at my hotel again that night. He talked a good deal about horse racing and said he had considerable wealth and a motor-car. His friends, he said, were staying at a prominent hotel in the town, and he thereby excused himself of having no sleeping kit. He said they were left at the other hotel. I was given to understand that he was a horse trainer. He said: “I suppose you remember I won a very large sum of money recently” (running into thousands.) I provided him with requisites for sleeping and he expressed himself very grateful. On Saturday morning, at breakfast time, I was in my bedroom completing my toilet. My wife came up and said I that the prisoner would put 5 on a horse for her. In consequence, I gave her 3 to go with the 2 she had, to make the 5. The prisoner came into the dining-room practically at that moment, and after dealing with my wife he turned to me and said, “This is what I have done for you, Mr. Ellis,” naming two horses, and stating he had put 5 each way on each of them. He gave me two cards, but I have not got them now. He said “I don't usually do this for people, but you have been very good to me and I am doing it as an extra favour.” I gave prisoner 10 and he went away. I have not seen him since this day. He did not pay his bill.

Cross-examined: The cards prisoner gave were mislaid. Prisoner showed witness his passport, which showed him as a trainer at Newmarket. He did not ask prisoner for a tip. The ticket had the name of a bookmaker on it. It was in respect of two horses, not one.

The horse won at 16-1 didn't it?

No, it didn't win at all.

Witness said that the horses were Myra Grey and Emplacement, and they didn't win according to the records. He did not know prisoner was leaving that morning, and he was staying the week-end. He did not say if the horse won he need not worry about the bill.

Did you present the cards to the bookmaker whose name was on the ticket?


Why not?

Because the horse didn't win.

He was backing these horses for you and that is why you gave him 10?

I understand he had already placed his money on them for me, as compensation for the treatment he had received.


My contention is, it is shown by Vincent's procedure throughout the business, and not coming back as a gentleman to meet his obligations.

What was his obligation?

To pay for his accommodation.

How much?

Two nights, 16/2.

Because he didn't discharge his obligation of 16/2 you are alleging he obtained 10 by a trick?


Re-examined: To the best of his recollection the entries on the cards were in pencil.

Mrs. Ellis said that on the Friday evening she got into conversation with the prisoner, who said he had been a horse trainer and had won plenty of money. Folkestone races being on, she said to him, “Perhaps you can tell me a winner for to-morrow.” Nothing was said there as he was in the saloon bar, but next morning at breakfast he handed her a card with the name of the horse “Rock Fire” on, which won. The card had a large number in pencil on it. Prisoner said “Keep this.”

The Magistrates' Clerk: You didn't?

Unfortunately, I haven't.

Witness said prisoner said “I have put 5 on for you.” She said “Do you want the money now?” He said, “Yes, I have just been out to put it on for you.” This is about 9.30 or 10. She gave him the 5, and he said it was a sure thing. She was very excited all day expecting to get the money. She did not see prisoner again, but presumed he had gone because a coat and hat were.

Cross-examined: The race was at Newbury Saturday afternoon. She only received one ticket as she had only one horse. She had never had a ticket of that kind given to her before. She had had a bet once or twice, but was not in the habit of doing that kind of thing.

Mr. De Wet: Otherwise you would not have got a 16:1 home. Did you take the ticket to the bookmakers whose name it was in?

No, I suppose I was too lenient.

Too lenient to get the money back you had put on?

I was not in the habit of doing it, but I thought it was no use.

Detective-sergeant Cadman said in consequence of information received, two warrant against the prisoner were issued on April 16th, 1926. Witness saw the three betting cards at the time, and to the best of his recollection they had the name of Rawlinson printed right across them, but no address, as far as he could remember. The cards had since been mislaid. When charged at the Police Station that morning prisoner made no reply. There was no bookmaker of the name Rawlinson in Dover.

Mr. De Wet submitted that there was no case to answer.

The Magistrates said that they considered there was a case to answer.

Mr. De Wet said that he would enter a plea of guilty in that case, and asked the bench to take late consideration the sentence the prisoner was now serving. This was not a case of doing down the widow or the poor, but a case of obligating the licensed victualler.

It was stated the prisoner had still five months to do of another sentence.

Chief Constable Bond said that there was also a warrant against the prisoner for stealing a wallet containing 80 by snatching, at Oxford. There were many convictions against him. In March 1878, he was sent to an industrial school for stealing money; 25th May, 1880, 19 months for robbery with violence; 1891, three months for stealing boots; 1893, seven months, stealing money; 1894, three months, stealing tobacco; and also eight months, stealing gold chain; 1896, six months' hard labour under Prevention of Coiners' Act, 1897; five weeks for loitering, and three months for false pretences; 1899, eight months and a year's supervision for stealing money; 1905, three year's penal servitude for stealing 5 note, after previous conviction; 1908, three years' imprisonment at Dieppe and fined 16 francs for picking pockets and insulting behaviour; three years at Carlsruhe for fraud; 1916, fined 10 for falsely representing himself to be a Police Officer; 1921, three months for stealing 60 by a confidence trick; 1922, six months and to refund 100, stealing cheque 10 by trick; 1924, at Auckland, New Zealand, six months for three cases of theft and three false pretences; and on March 3rd, 1927, for false pretences, six months, at Brighton. The Chief Constable added that the offences took place all over the country.

The Chairman said that the Bench had no hesitation in awarding a sentence of six months in each case, to commence from the present time, and to run consecutively.

Mr. De Wet: Con currently.

The Magistrates' Clerk: No, it means he will have an additional seven months to serve.

Mr. De Wet made an appeal for the sentence to be concurrent, but the Chairman said that the Magistrates would not alter their decision seeing the record of the man.

Mr. De Wet: The Oxford case is taken into account?



From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 26 June, 1931. Price 1d.


At the Dover Police Court on Saturday, before Messrs. W. J. Palmer and W. L. Law.

Harry Clubb, of Chapel Hill Yard, was charged with being drunk and disorderly on the 19th June in Tower Hamlets Road.

P.C. Southey said that at 10.50 p.m. the previous evening he was on duty at the top of Bridge Street, when he saw a number of men in conversation outside the “Eagle Hotel” in Tower Hamlets Road. Shortly afterwards he noticed the defendant with three other men fighting in the doorway of the hotel. Witness went across to separate them, when in the scuffle he tripped over the iron chains, and fell to the ground, the defendant and the other men falling on top of him. Witness's trousers were badly torn and his hands and face were scratched. He told the men to go home quietly and that they would be proceeded against. Clubb stayed on and he took him into custody. Defendant denied being drunk and asked to be examined by a doctor. Dr. Richardson examined him and gave him a certificate. Defendant was later admitted to bail.

The Chairman: Did you have any difficulty in getting him to the Station?


Defendant said that he was standing on the road side waiting for his brother to come up and that was all that he said to the Constable.

The Chief Constable said that there were several convictions against the defendant, but that was the first time for drunkenness.

Fined 1, including doctor's fee of 10s. 6d., and part of the costs of the Constable's torn trousers.

Defendant was allowed a fortnight to pay.


Dover Express, Friday, 22nd November 1935.

On behalf of Samuel Smith, Old Brewery (Tadcaster), Ltd., for alterations at the "Eagle Hotel," providing for re-arrangement of the bar and lounge and living quarters, sanitary accommodation for both sexes and reconstruction of the billiards room.


From the Dover Express and East Kent Intelligencer, 13 December, 1935. Price 1d.


Alterations to the "Eagle," which had been passed by the Council, were approved.


Dover Express 6th June 1941.


At the Dover Police Court on Monday before Messrs. W. B. Brett and W. L. Law.

Alfred Davidson, butcher’s assistant, 11, Albion Road, Folkestone, was charged with stealing a whisky glass, value 1s, from the “Eagle” Hotel, London Road, Dover, on 31st May.

Defendant pleaded not guilty.

Mr. P. A. G. Aldington, prosecuting, said that it might seem a small offence but he particularly desired to point out that the theft of glasses from public houses in the borough was very serious and it was almost impossible to obtain replacements. The case was brought to try and stop the offence.

Alfred Mark Harrison, licensee of the “Eagle” Hotel, said that about 10 p.m. on Saturday, May 31st, he was on duty in the hotel and defendant ordered three whiskies and he served them in stem glasses. A few minutes later he saw defendant pass the serving hatch and noticed he had a glass under his coat. Witness said “You’ve got one of my glasses”. Defendant said “Yes”. Witness took it from him and then defendant bolted out. Witness gave chase, but was unable to catch him, but told a soldier. Witness saw defendant again 10 minutes later with a policeman. Witness added that that type of glass was unobtainable at the present time.

Defendant: I never left your house with the glass did I ?

Witness: No.

Police War Reserve Constable Russell said that, at 10.15 on 31st May, he was given a description of defendant and saw him outside the Hospital. He admitted coming from the “Eagle” and witness took him back there. The licensee said “That’s the thief who took the glass.

Defendant said that the glass was not stolen and he had no intention of stealing it. He ran away because the landlord chased him, but he didn’t know why he ran.

The Chief Constable said that defendant was aged 18 years. He had no previous convictions.

The Chairman said that they considered the case proved and they were sorry to see a young man in that position. There were a lot of those offences going on and it must be stopped. They were letting defendant off lightly, but they warned others against doing the same thing.

Fined 10s.


Dover Express 5th July 1946.


When the "Eagle Hotel," London Road, Dover, was offered for sale in London public auction by Messrs. Fleuret Howell, Marks and Barley last week, it was sold for just over 18,000 to a London buyer.


It was an outlet for many years of Samuel Smith's Tadcaster Brewery but changed in 1946 to Courage (Elder).


From the Old Brewery News Magazine, September 1978.

The Good Old Days"

From Mr. Norman Swindon of our Cashiers Dept., who has been with the firm for over 40 yrs comes the following article.

In the early 1930's the Company opened a Depot in Deal to supply Clubs run by the Miners who had moved down from South Yorkshire to work the Kent Coalfields and had not liked the local brew. Deliveries to the Depot were made by rail from Tadcaster to Deal via London. The Eagle Hotel in Dover was purchased to support the local operation.

During the 1939-45 war. beer deliveries were zoned because of obvious transport difficulties: the Depot was therefore closed, and not re-opened after the cessation of hostilities. The Eagle Itself was sold round about 1947.



This remained the "Eagle" till 1998 when it again changed name to the "Old Irish Times", but this only lasted till 2002, when again it reverted to the old favourite of the "Eagle" again, where it is still trading under this name (March 2009).


From the Dover Mercury 7 February 2002.

Plans for town pub to reopen.

A DOVER pub is due to reopen later this month.

The Eagle, at the junction of London Road and Tower Hamlets, had been known as the Olde Irish Times, but was closed some time ago.

Building work has been carried out, and 'new' landlord Mick Murphy is planning to reopen the pub as a free house and revert to calling it The Eagle.


From the Dover Express, 7 March 2002.


Eagle licensees 2002

Mick and Karen Murphy behind their new bar.

A new watering hole called the "Eagle" held its grand opening on Friday night.

The pub, formerly known as the "Old Irish Times," was taken over by Mick Murphy and given a massive face lift.

Mick said: "We've re-plastered the walls, brought new furniture and created a back bar area. It looks fantastic and the response we've received from customers was extremely positive.

"Our first weekend was a huge success. It went above and beyond all our expectations."


London Road


KILLING TIME: The gallows used to stand at the junction of Tower Hamlets, Bridge Street and London Road. Ref pd 237674



COMMEMORATION: The blue plaque near the gallows' site. Ref pd 237673

Plaque outside Eagle

From the Dover Mercury 26 September 2002

Hang around the Eagle for a grisly history lesson

THE spot where the town's criminals were executed has been marked with the last in a series of 10 blue plaques erected by the Dover Society.

The Honorary Recorder of Dover, Judge Andrew Patience QC, unveiled the memorial on Saturday following the Confederation of Cinque Ports Speaker's Day event in the town.

The mayor Cllr Diane Smallwood and members of the Dover Society were among those who watched the ceremony at the Eagle public house, at the corner of Tower Hamlets and London Road.

And she was reminded that, until 1837, it was the mayor's duty to announce the death sentence.

The public hangings used to take place on the corner opposite the Eagle, at the junction of Bridge Street and London Road, but there had been difficulty in obtaining permission to put the plaque there.

The Dover Society started on the plaque project five years ago to commemorate the Millennium by choosing sites around the town where important events had taken place.

Dover Society chairman Terry Sutton told how the wretched felon would be drawn on a cart, his coffin beside him, to the gallows while townspeople hurled abuse.


From the Dover Express, 6 November 2003. By Nadine Miller.

Eagle landlord Mick Murphy

CLOCK STOP: Eagle landlord Mike Murphy

Clock plans hit a new hurdle.

PLANS for a controversial new clock have stumbled at the last hurdle after The Eagle pub's landlord refused to have it sited on his London Road building.

Although planning permission has been passed, Mike Murphy, 40, does not want any part of the scheme which has stirred up local opinion about the cost implications.

He said: "Since the town council plan was announced I've had people come and stop me in the street and in the supermarket to say they've signed a petition to stop the clock.

"When the councillors approached me about putting it up I said yes straight away as I hoped it would be a focal point, not just for myself but for all the traders in the area.

"Then I thought about the cost and I just could not justify it and I just thought no."

Mr Murphy is a board member of the Dover Partnership Against Crime and would like to see the money set aside by the council spent on more CCTV cameras.

Dover Web's Rick Jones has been organising a campaign to stop the clock since the decision to construct it was announced at a meeting at the beginning of October.

He said: "The response against the idea has been overwhelming and the support for us has just been terrific with probably more than 1,000 signatures already.

"If Mr Murphy's decision stops the clock then this really is a victory for the people of Dover who have made their voices heard over an issue they feel is just sheer folly.

"What we want to do now is follow up the campaign with a poll of seven more suitable projects where the estimated 23,000 should be spent, so the residents have their say."

Mayor George Allt voted for the clock and says he will continue to support it.

He said: "If Mr Murphy does not want to go ahead, then he should tell us but we've received nothing from him.

"I would ask why he has now said no. Maybe it's because of bad press and he has reacted to the pressure. If he is certain, then the clock will have to be renegotiated, but we certainly want to know the real reason why he has changed his mind."


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 20 May, 1960.

Frank Townsend

Down crash 10-worth of pennies, after a push by the Mayor. Waiting to catch the cash in a blanket are members of the Gloucestershire Regiment. Next to the Mayor is licensee of the "Eagle," Mr. Frank Townsend.


From the Dover Express, Thursday, November 13, 2003.

Is the clock a waste?

AS REVEALED exclusively in last week's Express, a pub landlord has called time on the town council's decision to build a controversial four-sided clock on his premises.

LAURA SMITH took to the streets to ask the people of Dover if the 10,000 expenditure seemed to them like a tick-tock idea...


KAYLEIGH HEATH, 16, a Tower Hamlets resident was adamant the council had made the wrong decision in deciding to build the clock in the first place. She said: "It's pointless, isn't it? We've got the clock tower in town anyway. They could spend the money on something better because there's not much to do in Dover, especially for the kids. All we've got is the skate-park, and that's not very good."

Penny Bond

Facilities for the younger residents of Dover was also a strong theme with Dover resident PENNY BOND, 45. She said: "I think the money could be spent on something better to be honest. With all the empty shops around here it could have gone elsewhere. And there's nothing for the kids to do."

TOM MacGAWAN, 36, who campaigns for the rights of asylum seekers, agreed that the money could be useful if directed elsewhere. He said: "I think that there are more important things to spend money on. It's especially difficult to see how money is wasted on asylum seekers when they're spending 10,000 on the aesthetics of Dover. The hospital should also be a priority."

Lorna Thompson

Retired resident LORNA THOMPSON, 68, felt strongly about the matter, and believed the clock was not the only construction money would have been wasted on in the town. She said: "It's ridiculous. The bandstand was a waste of money as well. What do we need a four sided clock for? We're not Westminister!"

BRIAN CLAW, 60, who has lived in Dover for most of his life also questioned how useful and relevant the clock would be to residents. He said: "I think a better idea would be to get the one on the town hall working, then that would be all we need. Most people have got a watch anyway."

Only OLIVER BOULTON, 20, who works at the magistrate's court, thought the clock had the potential to be a good expenditure. He said: "I would be interested to know the reasoning behind the decision to build it, but 10,000 isn't really that much when it comes to expenditure on local issues.

"The council have been put in place, trusted with the money, and I'm sure they probably had a reason behind spending it."


Eagle sign 2002

Above sign 2002.

With thanks from Roger Pester

Eagle sign November 2006Eagle Tavern sign 2012

Above sign left showing Eagle sign November 2006. Sign right 2012.

From the Dover Express, 7 August, 2008. By Rhys Griffiths.



A DEVASTATED dad has described his family's pain as his son was left fighting for his life after a vicious stabbing in Dover.Mike Brankley

Mike Brankley, of Pilgrims Way, was stabbed 20 times during a horrific attack in London Road at about 2.30am last Thursday.

The 24-year-old dump-truck driver was taken to the William Harvey Hospital in Ashford where he underwent a six-and-a-half hour lifesaving operation on his horrendous injuries.

Mike's family were woken by police at their Pilgrim's Way home at about 3.30 a.m. and they dashed to the former Archers Court pupil's bedside at hospital.

Dad Michael Brankley and mum Joan, both 48, had to be warned of the horrific injuries their son had sustained before they arrived at the hospital.

The sickening assault, which happened outside the "Eagle" pub, left Mike with a deep cut to his face, a punctured bowel and a 10-inch stab wound.

Michael, is a storeman at regeneration company EDSR where he works alongside Mike.

He said: “When the police came here in the morning they told us to prepare ourselves because it was not a pretty sight.

“Half his face was hanging off - it was like a horror movie. It was devastating.

“It has ripped us apart, it is just devastating to see him lying there. Even though he is on the mend, it is upsetting for us all.”

Mike had been out for the evening with friends.

His dad thinks if it was not for pal Dean Forrest-Holden and a woman they were with tending to the stricken victim, then the attack could have ended with a fatal tragedy.

He said: “They phoned an ambulance but a police car came by.

“From what I can make out, if Mike had been on his own and the car had not come by, then it could have been a lot worse than it is.

“The emergency services did their job very well.” Mike's family have been visiting him in hospital every day since he was attacked.

He has been able to leave intensive care but he still faces a long period of recovery ahead.

His family had to cancel a holiday to Bulgaria they were due to leave for on Monday.

Now they just want to help Mike recover and to see his attacker brought to justice.

Michael said: “We just want to get him home and see him out and about again.

“It has turned everything upside down. All we can hope is that Mike makes a speedy recovery.

“Of course we want to see the man who did this caught because we don't want him out there doing this to other people.

“I just don't know what possesses people to do this sort of thing, this guy needs to be taken off the streets.

“This is happening all over the country. If you are caught with a knife then you have got to go to prison. It has just got to stop.”

Detectives have set up an incident room at Folkestone and are hunting for a man seen in the area at the time of the attack.

A police spokesman said: “He is described as a white man in his mid-to- late-20s, of stocky build with a Scottish accent.

“He has short dark hair and was wearing dark-coloured shorts. His clothing is likely to have been blood-stained.


(Link to more info)


From the Dover Mercury, 5 November, 2009

Grim ride to the gallows with his coffin for a seat

From the days before William the Conqueror, Dover, as a Cinque Port, had a number of privileges in return for providing ship service to the ruling monarch - including passing all sentences, including the death sentence. Local historian Lorraine Sencicle looks at the history of execution in Dover right through to the last hanging in the town, in 1822.

FR centuries, execution by hanging took place outside of Dover's town walls opposite to where the Eagle pub now stands, on the corner of the High Street.

The Dover Society plaque is on the Eagle as they were unable to get permission to put it in the correct place.

Public hangings in the 18th and early 19th centuries were a regular feature of town life. In earlier days, felons were hurled from the top of Western Heights, near the Bredenstone, which was nicknamed the 'Devils Drop of Mortar' for that reason. Alternatively, they were thrown from the top of Sharpness (now Shakespeare) Cliff, which also had a nickname ... 'Devil's Drop!'

Hanging was increasingly preferred as the punishment was seen as a deterrent so the wooden gallows were always there as a reminder.

They were only replaced when dilapidated or when an incoming mayor wanted to make a point. For instance, Thomas Warren, who was elected mayor five times from September 1549, had strong views on punishment. So not only were the gallows replaced regularly, the ducking stool repaired and a new lock on the stocks was ordered.

A description of the execution of Alexander John Spence, the last Dover man to be publicly hanged, still survives. It tells us that Spence was a "robust good-looking man", who shot Coastal Blockade Officer (forerunners to Coastguards) Lieutenant Philip Graham on August 9 1822.

On the morning of-his execution, Spence ate a "hearty breakfast" followed by a visit from the Rev John Maule. Spence was resolute but following the visit of his sisters, his attitude changed.

He was then given the sacrament and climbed into the cart to take him to the gallows.

The cart, with horse and driver, was hired from Worthington's stables in what was Worthington Lane, (now Street). Mr Worthington charged 10s (50p) of which 2s 6d (12p) was paid to the driver. Spence sat on his coffin in the body of the cart.

The executioner, carrying the rope, sat at the front with the driver. The Rev Maule accompanied them, constantly praying. The Mayor and town dignitaries travelled in covered carriages behind.

The spectacle of the condemned man being taken up the Charlton High Road (now High Street) in open carts to Black Horse Lane - the old name for Tower Hamlets Road, was enjoyed by the 'multitudous' crowd. Rooms had been hired at the Black Horse Inn, rebuilt in 1863 (now the Eagle) for the town's wealthy.


The mayor and officials, having carried out their duties, joined them. It is reported that the proprietor of the Black Horse Inn charged 1 1s (1 5p) for rooms with a window.

On his way, Spence stood up and bowed to friends and relatives. However, at the place of execution, he was meditative as the hangman put the hood over his head.

Before the executioner could drive the cart away, Spence either slipped or threw himself off and "struggled wildly." Afterwards, Spence's body was given to relatives for disposal and he was buried in St Mary's Churchyard.

In 1835, the Municipal Corporations Act took most of the ancient privileges out of the hands of the town's officials. This included the right of passing the sentence of death.

Although Alexander Spence was the last Dovorian to be publicly hanged on the town's gallows, in 1823 a young man from Margate was hanged there for robbery.

That is not the end of Dover's connection with hanging, for in August 1868 the hanging of a local man made national headlines.

He was Thomas Wells, a 19-year-old London, Chatham and Dover Railway carriage cleaner. Part of his duties was looking after the station garden but, against railway policy, he used a gun to scare birds away.

Wells was reprimanded by Stationmaster Edward Walshe and shot him dead. Wells pleaded insanity but the jury were not convinced. Wells was hanged at Maidstone Prison the first person to be convicted of murder since an act banned public executions.

Capital punishment in the UK was abolished (except for treason) in 1964. The last execution took place in that year. Capital punishment was abolished totally in 1998.



Latest news (February 1st 2012) the premises was being boarded up, so looks like another closed pub, let's hope it's not for long.


From the Dover Mercury, 29 March, 2012. 80p


THE Eagle public house in London Road, Dover, has opened under new management.

The new managers say they will be introducing a daily carvery.


June 2016, the pub appears to be closed again.

Glad to say that after being renovated inside, the pub opened again at the end of August 2016.



BROCKMAN 1843-Jan/44 dec'd

FOORD James 1846-May/63 (Eagle Tavern) Melville's 1858 (SMITH-FOORD Thomas Dover Express) (widower age 75 in 1861Census)

PRESCOTT George May/1863-Sept/63 Dover Express

Last pub licensee had CHATWIN George William Jan/1864-Mar/1865 Dover Express

WATSON Isaac Mar/1865+ Dover Express

HARRIS T B to Jan/1868 Dover Express

KNOTT J Jan/1868-July/1868 Dover Express

ADAMS Frederick July/1868 Next pub licensee had Dover Express

FISHER Thomas 1871+ (age 40 in 1871Census)

See "Denmark Arms"

JACKSON Charles William R 1887-1911+ (hotel manager age 66 in 1911Census) Post Office Directory 1891Pikes 1895

FOWLIE Hugh 1898-Mar/1914 Kelly's Directory 1899(Wine and spirit merchantsPost Office Directory 1903)Post Office Directory 1903Kelly's 1903Post Office Directory 1913Dover Express

BEANE Francis James Mar/1914-May/15 Next pub licensee had Dover Express (Late of St. Stephen's, Canterbury and who served for 19 years in the 21st lancers.)

Last pub licensee had FAGG William John May/1915-19+ Dover Express

OVENDEN Ernest G 1920-Apr/23 Post Office Directory 1922Pikes 1923Dover Express

BEASLEY Henry Arthur Charles Apr-Nov/1923 Dover Express (Retired Army officer of Cambridge)

SMITH Herbert WaIter Nov/1923-Aug/25 Next pub licensee had Dover ExpressPikes 1924

BROWN Edwin Curtis Aug/1925-Sept/25 Dover Express (Of Clapham Common)

ELLIS Hugh Owen Sept/1925-28 end Dover Express

RICHARDSON George Joseph 1928 end

STREETER Percy 1928-May/29 Dover Express

Last pub licensee had CAIRNS James Robinson May/1929-Apr/31 Next pub licensee had Dover ExpressPost Office Directory 1930

Last pub licensee had SMITH Herbert WaIter 1931-Jan/38 Pikes 1932-33Dover Express (Late of "Anglesey Arms Hotel," Winstall, Burton-on-Trent, Staffordshire.)

HARRISON Alfred Mark Jan/1938-48+ (age 46 in 1939) Dover ExpressPost Office Directory 1938Pikes 1938-39Pikes 48-49

TOWNSEND Frank to 1960+ Dover Express

ANSTEY H G 1961-73

STUART-SMITH Michael I L 1974-75 Library archives 1974 Courage, Barclay & Simonds

STOKES Victor T 1974-76 dec'd Library archives 1974

STOKES Mrs Celia 1976-77 end


SCOTT Clive 1981

BLACKHURST Michael N 1987 end

LEWIS David 1988

TOWNSEND John ???? Next pub licensee had

MURPHY Mick and Karen 2002+

WRIGHT John 2011-14+


According to the Dover Express Alfred Mark Harrison was a Licensed Victualler from the "Anglesey Arms Hotel," Winshall, Burton-on-Trent, Staffordshire.


Melville's 1858From Melville's Directory 1858

Post Office Directory 1891From the Post Office Directory 1891

Pikes 1895From Pikes Dover Blue Book 1895

Kelly's Directory 1899From the Kelly's Directory 1899

Post Office Directory 1903From the Post Office Directory 1901

Post Office Directory 1903From the Pos/t Office Directory 1903

Kelly's 1903From the Kelly's Directory 1903

Post Office Directory 1913From the Post Office Directory 1913

Post Office Directory 1922From the Post Office Directory 1922

Pikes 1923From Pikes Dover Blue Book 1923

Pikes 1924From Pikes Dover Blue Book 1924

Post Office Directory 1930From the Post Office Directory 1930

Pikes 1932-33From Pikes Dover Blue Book 1932-33

Post Office Directory 1938From the Post Office Directory 1938

Pikes 1938-39From Pikes Dover Blue Book 1938-39

Pikes 48-49From Pikes Dover Blue Book 1948-49

Library archives 1974Library archives 1974

Dover ExpressFrom the Dover Express



If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-