Sort file:- Dover, September, 2021.

Page Updated Dover:- Wednesday, 29 September, 2021.

PUB LIST PUBLIC HOUSES Barry Smith and Paul Skelton

Earliest 1883

Beaconsfield Arms

Dec 1910

3 Adrian Street

8 Adrian Street



A fully licensed house and an outlet of the East Kent Brewery Company, Sandwich.


James Middleton present in 1883.


Disraeli, the Earl of Beaconsfield, returned to England via Dover in 1878 which may have influenced the title.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 30 August, 1889. Price 1d.



In this case there was no tenant available to take out the license, and it was adjourned to Broadstairs.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 13 September, 1889. Price 1d.


At the adjourned meeting at Broadstairs on Wednesday, Sir Richard Dickeson was in the chair, and the other Magistrates present were F. S. Pierce, T. V. Brown, J. L. Bradley, and A. Bottle, Esqrs.

The license of the “Beaconsfield Arms” was granted to the widow of the late Robert Mills, who was the chairman at the “Phoenix Music Hall.”


Canterbury Journal, Kentish Times and Farmers' Gazette, Saturday 30 July 1898.

The Whiskey Stealing Cases.

At the Quarter Sessions on Monday, John Crouch, seaman, pleaded guilty to stealing 34 bottles of Kinahan's whiskey, consigned to Messrs. J. Lukey and Sons on the hoy Blazer, of which prisoner was mate, the property of Messrs. F. W. Prescott and Company, on the 29th May.

Thomas William Stanley, formerly landlord of the "Beaconsfield Arms" was indicted for that he on the 29th May, receive 17 bottles of whiskey well knowing them to have been stolen.

Stanley pleaded not guilty, and was defended by Mr. Lewis Glyn, the prosecuting counsel being Mr. Croft.

In the end the prisoner was acquitted, and Couch received a sentence of six months' hard labour, to date from June 6th last.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 1 March, 1901. Price 1d.


Patrick Lawless, one of Messrs. Pearson's labourers, was charged with being drunk and disorderly in Adrian Street.

Police Constable Prescott said that on Sunday evening about 9.30 the landlady of the “Beaconsfield Arms,” Adrian Street, asked witness to remove the prisoner and another man. They were both drunk and quarrelling. The bar was full of men and women, and they were all more or less drunk. The landlady requested the two men to go, and they refused to go. Witness ejected the prisoner and the other men. Outside the prisoner fell down, and witness took him into custody.

Police Constable Mount said he was on special duty near the “Beaconsfield Arms.” About 7.30 he saw the prisoner and two other navvies go into the house. They were apparently sober then, and he saw no more of them till 9.30, when P.C. Prescott was called to eject the prisoner and one of the other navvies who went in with the prisoner. The men had never left the house from that time until they were ejected. The bar was full of soldiers and navvies, and several of them were the worse for drink. There was a disturbance inside the house before Prescott went there.

A fine of 5/-, or in default seven days', was inflicted.

The landlord of the house called forward. In reply to the Magistrates, he said he had kept the house since the beginning of December. He made an excuse for the state of affairs on Sunday, that he was ill in bed.

The Magistrates said that they could not accept that as a proper excuse. The house should have been in a proper charge.

The landlord said that he had got rid of all the bad characters. The house was dreadful when he took it.

The Magistrates remarked that the conduct on Sunday also seemed to be dreadful. The case would be reported to the Watch Committee, and they would take such steps as they thought necessary.



It was considered surplus to requirements in 1910, together with the "Milestone", "Pier Inn" and "Neptune Hall". During that year, 2,373 was paid in compensation but this survived a little longer. Its licence was not renewed in June 1911 and the brewer, who was the lessee, was eventually compensated with 603. Fred Sawkins the keeper got 20 and the freehold owner, 141. The street was rebuilt completely in 1937.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 26 January, 1906. Price 1d.


Plans for alterations to the “Walmer Castle” so that a door might be made for the private portion of the house were approved and also for the construction of a club room at the “Beaconsfield Arms,” Adrian Street.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, 1 January, 1909.


A fire broke out at one o'clock on Tuesday at the Beaconsfield Arms public house, Adrian Street, but it was fortunately extinguished before very great damage was done. Some clothes, which were left to dry in front of a fire became ignited, and set fire to the woodwork of the mantel, and the hearthrug. Mr. Moore, the landlord, with the help of some customers attacked the flames, and the alarm was given at the Queen Street Police Station. P.C.'s Smithen, Southey, and Brown turned out with the fire hose, but on their arrival the flames had been extinguished. The only damage done was to the clothes, woodwork of the fireplace, and rug.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, 11 February, 1910.



The licence of the "Beaconsfield Arms," Adrian Street, was also opposed on the instructions of the Magistrates on the grounds of redundancy.

No one appeared to legally represent the tenant or owner, but the Secretary of the East Kent Brewers Company and the leaseholder  were in Court.

Chief Constable Fox said that the "Beaconsfield Arms" was a fully licensed house situated in Adrian Street. The owners were the East Kent Brewery Company, Sandwich, and the tenant was Horton Walter Moore, and it was transferred to him on October 2nd, 1908. There had been five changes in nine years. The rateable value was 40 gross, net 32. The licensed houses in the immediate neighbourhood were the "Liberty," 11 yards, the "Trocadero," 29 yards, the "Prince Louis," 40 yards, the "New Mogul," 51 yards, and the "Criterion," 74 yards. The frontage was 27ft. The accommodation was the front bar, side bar, small kitchen on the ground floor, and upstairs a club room used also as a dining room (private), and there were four bedrooms. It was visited at 11.50 a.m. on Thursday, January 20th, and there were two customers; at 3.50 p.m. on Monday, January 24th, one customer; at 10.05 a.m. on Saturday, January 29th, no customers; at 7.47 p.m. on Thursday, February 3rd, three customers.

The Secretary of the Brewery Company said that they were not asking any questions.


The Mayor at once said: The Bench have come to the conclusion that the four licenses ought to go forward. Of course we quite appreciate the eloquence of our friend, Mr. Mowll, and if it were a question of dealing with a matter from one of sentiment, it might have been decided otherwise. We have a very difficult question to deal with, and the decision we have come to must have regard to the question of redundancy in the neighbourhood. before even this case went to Court great care was taken that those houses which we really believed are redundant, are those that come before the Court, and I think the Bench in this case are of the opinion that all these houses are in that category, and that it is important to do otherwise than to send the four cases to be dealt with by the Quarter Sessions.

The licenses were provisionally renewed pending the decision of Quarter Sessions.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, 22 April, 1910.


SCENE AT A PUBLIC HOUSE. James McCullish a private in the 2nd Battn. 5th Fusiliers was charged with wilfully breaking a plate glass panel in the bar door of the "Beaconsfield Arms" public house, Adrian Street.

The witnesses in the case were entered out of Court.

Frederick Dawkins said: I keep the "Beaconsfield Arms," Adrian Street. Last night about 9.45 the prisoner came into my house and called for a drink. There being other soldiers in the bar at the time. I refused to serve the prisoner as I considered he had had enough. He then began to quarrel with another soldier in the bar, and I told him to quit the premises. He went outside, and some of the others also went out, and they began fighting. I cannot say who fought, as I did not go outside. When the fighting was over prisoner was about to re-enter the bar when I stopped him at the door. He tried to force me out of the way to get in, and then said, "Take that," and broke the glass panel of the door with his fist and ran away. There were other soldiers outside, and others at the bar. I have no doubt prisoner is the culprit. I subsequently informed a police-sergeant, and went with him to the guard room at the Citadel Barracks. The prisoner was there, and I recognised him. Prisoner was only in my house about five or ten minutes, and had not been in previously that evening. The damage done has been estimated by Mr. Rickon glazier, at 30s.

The prisoner said that he was in the house for about half an hour, and had four drinks while he was there.

The landlord denied this.

P.S. Fox said: About 10.10 last night I was on duty in the Market Square, when, from what I was told, I went to the "Beaconsfield Arms," in Adrian Street. The landlord showed me a plate glass panel broken in the bar door. From what he said I went with him in search of the prisoner, and found him detained in the guard room of the Citadel Barracks. The last witness pointed to the prisoner and said "That's the man." There were some others in the guard room. prisoner was then charged, and in reply said that a civilian with whom he was quarrelling did the damage. The knuckles of the prisoner's right hand were cut and bleeding, and when I asked him how he did it he said it was in warding off a blow from a civilian after the window was broken. prisoner, when charged at the police station with breaking the window, said, "I refuse the charge," and wished witness to be called. At prisoner's request a doctor as fetched to dress his hand.

Prisoner, in his defence, called the following witnesses:-

Private E. Tierney, of "H" Co. 2nd Battn. Northumberland Fusiliers, said: I was in the "Beaconsfield Arms" last night about 9.45. There were several soldiers, some woman, and a civilian in the bar. Prisoner was there when I arrived, and I was talking to him when the civilian came up and agued the point about being in the Navy, and wanted to fight. I got the prisoner outside, and the civilian struck him. The prisoner turned round to return the blow, when the landlord or someone closed the door and the prisoner's fist went through the window. The piquet came along and ordered us to get to the barracks. I was in the house for about twenty minutes, and the prisoner was there before me. The prisoner had a glass of stout, and also stood me a drink.

The landlord: You say the prisoner had something to drink in my house? - He had some stout.

The landlord: - I say he had nothing.

Private C. Thompson, 2nd Batt. 5th Fusiliers said, I was in the "Beaconsfield Arms" last night when the prisoner was there. He was under the influence of drink. He had an argument with a civilian, and they went outside to settle it. The prisoner tried to strike the civilian, when the landlord closed the door, and prisoner's fist went through the window. It was quite an accident, and not wilfully done.

Private Frederick Bolton also corroborated, and prisoner said he had still several more witnesses.

The Chairman said they would give the prisoner the benefit of the doubt, and the case would be dismissed. He hoped it would be a caution to him in the future to behave himself like a soldier.

The prisoner was ordered to pay the doctor's fee of 3/6.


From the Whitstable Times and Herne Bay Herald, Saturday, 19 November, 1910.


The "Beaconsfield Arms," Adrian Street, Dover, alehouse, owners the East Kent Brewery Company, Sandwich, tenant Mr. Frederick Sawkins. Total amount 764 5s.; divided, free-holder 141 5s., lessee 603, tenant 20.




MIDDLETON James 1883-Sept/89 dec'd Dover Express

MILLS Mrs A Sept/1889+ Dover Express

JOYNER Richard 1891+ (age 65 in 1891Census)

STANLEY Thomas William 1895-98 Pikes 1895

FRENCH Henry John 1899-1901+ Kelly's Directory 1899

WARINGTON T to Apr/1901 Dover Express

Last pub licensee had WRIGHT William Henry Apr/1901+ Dover Express

WOOD Mark W to Dec/1903 Kelly's 1903Dover Express

BAKER Edward Hyram Dec/1903-08 end Next pub licensee had Dover Express

BAKER W J 1907

MOORE Horton WaIter 1908-June/10

SAWKINS Frederick June/1910-Dec/1910


Pikes 1895From Pikes Dover Blue Book 1895

Kelly's Directory 1899From the Kelly's Directory 1899

Dover ExpressFrom the Dover Express

Kelly's 1903From the Kelly's Directory 1903


If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-