Sort file:- Dover, January, 2023.

Page Updated:- Monday, 09 January, 2023.

PUB LIST PUBLIC HOUSES Barry Smith and Paul Skelton

Earliest 1713-

Three Tuns

Latest 1856

(Name to)

50 Biggin Street



Hawkins served in 1792 if this indeed is the same premises, but by 1854 it had developed a reputation for doing the wrong thing.



From the Dover Telegraph and Cinque Ports General Advertiser, Saturday 25 November, 1843. Price 5d.


William George, a railway labourer, was charged by Mr. Tyman, of the "Three Tuns," with striking him an unprovoked blow on the face, on Saturday night; and Simon was charged with attempting to rescue him companion from the police, who had been called in by Tyman. The men expressed themselves sorry for what they had done, and as they were working men, and George had always, on previous occasions, conducted himself peaceably, Mr. Tyman said he did not wish to press the charge, and, thereupon, the Bench dismissed the case - remarking that they had to thank Mr. Tyman for his leniency towards them.



In 1849, John Stone, the licensee of the "Dog and Gun," indicated to the Magistrates, that this house held several women of ill repute, while being on a similar charge himself. When accusations of receiving stolen property were added to the list the authorities said enough! By 1856 it was referred to as the "Lord Raglan"

In the event the renewal was not sought anyway. In spite of everything, trade looked good here and a tun is a large cask with capacity for 252 gallons.


From the Dover Telegraph and Cinque Ports General Advertiser, Saturday 8 June, 1844. Price 5d.


William Tilt, a private in the 68th Depot, was charged with breaking into the kitchen of the Officers' barracks at the Heights, and stealing there from a coat, waistcoat, pair of trousers, silver watch guard, &c. the property of John Higgins; and a silver watch, the property of Henry Scanlan.

Henry Scanlan, servant to Lord Hinton, deposed - I arrived at the Heights yesterday with the detachment from Canterbury, and put my box in the kitchen. I left about 9 o'clock in the evening, when I saw that my box was locked. On being called at seven in the morning, I found the box broken open, and a silver watch and hat gone. A pane of glass was broken which was whole when I left last night.

John Higgins, servant to Lieut. Percy Hill, was next examined - I was the last to leave the kitchen last night, about half-past nine o'clock. When called about 7, I found my box broken open, apparently with a bayonet, which was lying on the window. O examining the box, I missed a black frock-coat, waistcoat, pair of trousers, shirt, silver watch guard, a sovereign, about 7 or 8 shillings in silver, and some half-pence. I informed my master, and he went with me and Scanlan to the Police Station and from thence to the "Three Tuns," when from information we received, we then proceeded to the Buckland Road, and found the prisoner in the "Britannia" public-house dressed in my clothes. The prisoner had been in confinement, and we suspected him, from being reported as missing at the guard room.

 William Hall, servant to Capt. Phipps, deposed to finding the kitchen in the state described by the last witness, of which he immediately gave them information.

James Tyman, landlord of the "Three Tuns," Biggin Street, deposed - This morning, about 7 o'clock, prisoner, accompanied by two females, came and called for a pint of beer. I went into the yard, and on my return, in about 5 minutes, prisoner was gone, but the females remained in the tap-room. About eight o'clock an officer, with the witnesses Scanlan  and Higgins, came and asked if a man had been there, describing the dress as that worn by the prisoner. I told them there had, and went to the females, when after some conversation one of them told me the prisoner was to be taken up at the "Royal Standard," by the Canterbury omnibus, about 9 o'clock, and that they were to accompany him. I then accompanied Scanlan and Higgins and found prisoner at the "Britannia" dressed in the clothes now produced, which Higgins identified as his property, and a watch with a silver guard round his neck, identified by Scanlan as his property. I then took him to the station-house, and gave him into the custody of policemen Friend and Hammond.

The prisoner was them fully committed for trial at the next Dover sessions.

It appears the prisoner had been servant to Mr. Stoner, by which he obtained a knowledge of the locality of the kitchen. He was, however, discharged on Monday for misconduct, and placed in confinement for absenting himself from barracks.


From the Dover Telegraph and Cinque Ports General Advertiser, Saturday, 13 March, 1847. Price 5d.


James Norberry was charged with breaking fourteen squares of glass, at the “Three Tuns,” in Biggin Street. It appears that prisoner has vowed vengeance on Timan, who was one of the Jurors on the late inquest, (see inquest here) and went to the house, where he deliberately smashed the windows. He was taken to Clerk's office for examination, and on Timan's entrance, Norberry flew at him and gave him a tremendous blow in the face, (which caused a copious flow of blood on the floor,) saying, at the same time, he would rather murder him if he could, and did not mind being hanged for it. The Mayor then ordered defendant in two sureties of 20 to keep the peace for six months, and in default was committed to prison.


Dover Chronicles 13 March 1847.


James Norbury, basketmaker, was brought up, charged by Mr. Tyman, landlord of the "Three Tuns," Biggin Street, with the following offence:-

Mr. Tyman deposed, that Norbury assailed the window of his house about 9 o'clock that morning, and broke 14 panes of glass and several bottles which stood inside, and threatened to "do for him" (prosecutor).

While going through the passage to appear before the Bench, prisoners dealt him a heavy blow in the face, and was only prevented from further violence by the interposition of the police. Prisoner was not intoxicated at the time. Prosecutor, therefore, prayed for the protection of the Bench, as he considered his life to be in danger from the prisoner's violence.

Norbury is the man who was arrested on suspicion of having cause of death of Ann Timpson, and was only liberated on Tuesday afternoon.

Mr. Tyman served on the jury, which investigated the woman's death; and, it is supposed, by some observations as a juryman, gave offence to Norbury, who took this method of retaliation. The Bench called upon Norbury to find two securities in 20 each, and be bound himself in 20, for his keeping the peace towards the prosecutor for 6 months; but, in default, he was committed to prison for that period.


From the Dover Telegraph and Cinque Ports General Advertiser, Saturday, 27 November, 1847. Price 5d.


Mr. Timan, landlord of the “Three Tuns,” stated that in consequence of the statement he made at the inquest on the woman in Barwick's Alley, and with whom Norberry cohabited, he had been subject to continual abuse from Norberry, who had threatened to do for him. He now wished the advice of the Bench; and was directed to take out a summons, which would be logged with the gaoler, and the complaint would be heard on the termination of the present sentence.


From the Dover Telegraph and Cinque Ports General Advertiser, Saturday 5 February, 1848. Price 5d.


John Timan and Joseph Timan, of the "Three Tuns," Biggin Street, were charged with an assault on James McGragh, an artillery-man. It appeared the assault complained of was in turning McGrath out of the house; but he not being in attendance, the case was remanded till Monday.


From the Dover Telegraph and Cinque Ports Advertiser, 31 March, 1849.

Friday - John Baptist Phanton and James Lock were charged on suspicion of felony. - Superintendent Laker stated that he found the prisoners together at the "Three Tuns," where Phanton was offering a pair of loaded pistols for sale; and having seen the report, in the Hue and Cry, that the house of the Rev. Mr. Riley, at Walworth, had been broken into from which a sum of money and a pair of pistols had been stolen, he took the prisoners into custody. - Information of his apprehension was sent to London by Phanton, and this knowing two ladies attended before the justices stated them to be his relatives, and that on the 18th of the month he absconded from home, taking with him 24, which he had since squandered away in company with his friend Lock. His parents, however, declined coming forward to prosecute and the prisoners were discharged.


From the Dover Telegraph and Cinque Ports General Advertiser, Saturday, 23 February, 1850.


Two young men, named Frederick Dennison and William Bushell, were charged with breaking into the house of Mr. Thomas Smithett, pawnbroker, in Dolphin Lane, in this town, on Sunday evening last, and stealing, amongst other articles, a pair of silver sugar tongs, and a pair of silver spectacles, his property.

Mr. Smithett was first examined:- On Sunday evening last, a little before 6 o'clock, I left my house with my wife, to attend a place of worship, but returned home about a quarter to eight. No one had been left in the house. On my return, upon entering the back parlour, I kicked against something on the floor like boxes or stools. On a light being procured, I found several things out of order; the tea caddy, which was always placed on the table against the window, had been removed to a table in the centre of the room. On looking at the caddy, I discovered that a pair of silver sugar tongs were missing there-from. I then turned towards the window, and found that a pane of glass had been broken, by which means the window fastening had been undone, and the sash thrown up, and an entrance thus effected. The sash was up when I first saw the broken pane. I immediately sent for a Policeman, and Superintendent Laker was soon in attendance, when we proceeded to make a search over the house. We found that several articles had been stolen, amongst which were the sugar tongs, and a pair of silver spectacles, as portions of which I can identify the pieces of silver now produced, more particularly the spectacles, fro the peculiar nature of the repair made to the article. The sugar tongs were of the value of 8s., and spectacles, 7s. The other property stolen consisted of a watch, a silver pencil-case, two pair of shoes, a green purse, and a pair of spectacles. I saw the watch hanging up in the room immediately before going out. It was a silver one, with a white enamelled dial, and had a piece of white worsted stay-lace tied to it, with a key attached. The glass was also cracked, in a zig-zag form. The watch was of the value of twenty-five shillings, of a medium thickness, and of a flattish make. From discoveries afterwards made, it was ascertained that a light has been used by the robbers.

Sarah Timan, landlady of the “Three Tuns” public-house, Biggin Street, deposed:- On Sunday night, at about a quarter past 12 o'clock, the prisoner Dennison came to my house, and asked for a lodging, which he was accommodated with, and just before he retired to rest, he gave me a watch, which he requested me to keep for him. I did so, and next morning I gave it up to him. The watch had no glass in it; it was a silver one, and had a white enamelled dial. A piece of tape or string, about nine inches long, was attached to it, which has something light at the end, but I could not say whether it was a key watch or not.

William Hopley, sen., jeweller, Snargate Street, deposed:- On Monday afternoon, between two and three o'clock, the prisoner Dennison brought the pieces of silver sugar tongs and spectacles (produced) to my shop, and offered them for sale. I told him that Mr. Laker had been to my shop, a short time previously, to see whether any such property had been offered for sale, and I asked the prisoner if he had stolen them. He said he had not; that they were his father's property, and that his name was Dennison. I told him to leave the silver, and call again in half-an-hour, when, if I found it was not stolen property, I would buy it off him. A few minutes after this, I saw Mr. Laker, and, informing him of my circumstance, described the person who offered the silver for sale. Mr. Laker then went in search of the party, and in a few minutes he brought the prisoner to my shop, whom I immediately identified as the person who brought the silver. I then gave the silver to Mr. Laker.

Superintendent Laker deposed:- I received information of the robbery on Sunday evening, and a full description of the articles stolen. Yesterday the various pawnbrokers' and jewellers' shops were visited, with a view of obtaining a clue to the stolen property. In the afternoon, shortly before three o'clock, on my way to the shop of Mr. Hopley, I saw the two prisoners talking together, at the shop of Barley Mow Lane, Snargate Street, (near Mr. Hopley's.) After I came out of Mr. Hopley's, I saw them still together, a little lower down the lane. Shortly after this, as I was passing by Mr. Hopley's door, he called me to come in, and said that a person had been offering him some silver for sale, and described him to me. In consequence of this, I ordered Geddes to apprehend Dennison, which he did, near the spot where I had seen him standing. I then took him to Mr. Hopley, who identified him as the person who brought the silver, and handed it over to me.

Police-constable Geddes stated that previously to his taking Dennison into custody, his suspicions had been excited from the fact of Dennison having been drunk and in possession of plenty of money on the Sunday night, although he had had no emply for some time. Before he took him into custody, when at a distance from him of 8 or 9 yards, witness saw him pass something to the prisoner Bushell, which appeared to be as large as the palm of his hand, and flat, and had the appearance of a watch. On taking Dennison to Mr. Hopley's, witness communicated this fact to Superintendent Laker, who immediately instructed him to apprehend Bushell. He went towards the Wellington Bridge for the purpose, but ere he could not reach the Esplanade, Bushell had commenced running, and was lost sight of. Witness had not seen him from that time till this morning, when he came of his own accord to the Magistrates' Office.

George Pain, a labouring man, residing at Russell Place, (in a line with Dolphin Lane,) was next called, and deposed that the prisoner Bushell and Dennison passed his door together on Sunday evening, about 20 minutes after 6 o'clock.

The prisoner, (after being cautioned in the usual form,) were then asked if they had anything to say in defence; upon which, Dennison said he knew nothing about the breaking in, but that he found the silver, and offered it for sale. Bushell denied that he was with Dennison at all on Sunday night.

The prisoners were both fully committed to take their trial at the forthcoming Quarter Sessions, and the witness bound over to appear.


Kentish Gazette, 7 January 1851.

The Quarter Sessions of the Peace were held on Monday, 30th November, before William H Bodkin, Esq., Recorder, when the following prisoners were brought up for trial.

William Tyler, soldier, committed on the 15th of November 1850, charged with stealing at the "Three Tuns," in Dover, a watch, the property of William Swinyard. Prisoner pleaded guilty, and was sentenced to 1 year's imprisonment with hard labour.

John Fuster, labourer, committed on the above date, charged with having received the same with a guilty knowledge of its having been stolen. The jury found a verdict of guilty, and the prisoner, only 17 years of age, was sentenced to 18 months imprisonment with hard labour.


From the Dover Telegraph and Cinque Ports General Advertiser, Saturday 25 February, 1854. Price 5d.


Several parties residing in Market Lane, attended to complain of the annoyance experienced from the "Regent Tap," and the annoyance and disturbance created by those in the habit of visiting that house. The Bench directed Mr. Coram to order his force to observe from time to time whether prostitutes were permitted to assemble at the "Regent Tap," and a proof thereby to take the necessary steps for bringing the landlord (said to be a Mr. Newing) before the Court. A similar order was given in reference to the "Three Tuns," Biggin Street.




GOODWIN Israel 1713+

HAWKINS Edward 1792-93 Dover and Deal Directory and Guide 1792


COLLIS Robert 1823 Pigot's Directory 1823

COLLIS Ann 1828+ Pigot's Directory 1828-29

PLEDGE John 1832-39+ Pigot's Directory 1832-34Pigot's Directory 1839

I believe that between 1838 and 1842 this pub went under the name of the "Evening Star" as the name Tyman/Timan is connected to both, at the same address. Perhaps it changed from "Three Tuns" to "Evening Star" and back again. The dates of licensees does tally.

Also, there is a John James Timan mentioned at the "Horse and Jocky," from 1840-45.

Last pub licensee had TYMAN James 1843-48 dec'd

TYMAN Mrs Sarah 1850-54 end (TIMAN 1850 Dover Telegraph)


Dover and Deal Directory and Guide 1792Dover and Deal Directory and Guide 1792

Pigot's Directory 1823From the Pigot's Directory 1823

Pigot's Directory 1828-29From the Pigot's Directory 1828-29

Pigot's Directory 1832-34From the Pigot's Directory 1832-33-34

Pigot's Directory 1839From the Pigot's Directory 1839

Dover TelegraphFrom the Dover Telegraph


If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-