Sort file:- Dover, July, 2020.

Page Updated:- Wednesday, 22 July, 2020.

PUB LIST PUBLIC HOUSES Barry Smith and Paul Skelton

Earliest 1849

(Name from)

Dog and Gun

Latest 1852

Laureston Place


Laureston Place

Above photograph by Paul Skelton, 19 August 2009, shows the pink house on the left, today's premises that I believe was the "Dog and Gun."

This has just been stated that it is indeed not the correct house (8 July 2011) This house was built in 1832 and the "Dog and Gun" burnt down in 1852.



Kept by John Stone from 1849-52. Evidently a house of ill repute as shown by the passage from the Dover Express below.


From the Dover Telegraph and Cinque Ports Advertiser, 2 June, 1849.

A person named Moody, residing at Barham, attended to prefer a complaint against John Stone, landlord of the "Dog and Gun," for refusing to deliver up the clothes &c., of his sister, Elizabeth Moody, who had been living for some time past at the said house.

From the statements made by complainant, it appeared that the girl, about 18 years of age, had left her home some 4 or 5 months since, and that her place of abode, and dissolute mode of living, had not been discovered till recently. With a view of inducing the fallen one to retrace her steps, and retrieve her character, the brother had arrived at Dover, but, on applying for his sister and her clothes, was refused an interview with the one, or the possession of the other; and the present stop was taken to obtain the advice and assistance of the Bench - The particulars of the complaint were corroborated by Elizabeth Moody herself, who, with her father, appeared before the Magistrates, and expressed her willingness to return home with her friends. During the investigation, certain observations implicating Stone as the keeper of a common brothel were elicited, and information against him thereupon laid, upon which the police were ordered to bring him before the Court; and on his appearance, the information being fully sustained by the girl Moody, he was fined £5 6s. costs included, which was paid before the defendant was permitted to retire.

Stone, in his defence, argued that he was ignorant of any improper proceedings in his house, and thought it strange that he should be aimed at by the Bench, when the "Three Tuns," at which several females were kept, and other houses keeping a large number, were left unmolested.

The Bench severely remonstrated with defendant on his attempting to justify his conduct, which, as far as concerned his house, was notorious, and his pretending ignorance of which was most atrocious. With respect to the other places he had alluded to, the Magistrates only awaited the necessary information, and the parties would then be forthwith summoned.


[A somewhat similar case was last week presented before the Bench, when a like fine was inflicted. "We cannot do otherwise than co-operate, by our comment, with the proceedings of the magistracy - proceedings that must prove a slight check at least, and we hope a powerful one, upon a vice that rears its hydra head above the innumerable vices of our fair land, and stalks forth with the unblushing effrontery of noon-day. We at the same time incline to commiserate the degraded position of, we had almost said the more automatons of the vile dealers in prostitution, believing that no small number of the "unfortunates" are the victims of deceptive seduction - wiled from the paternal roof by the sophistry of the practiced villain, and, when forsaken by the base authors of their miserable course, thrown with all their immoral habits upon the community; and thus becoming the easy dupes of those who, for paltry gain, despise alike the ultimate wretchedness of their victims, the gross immoralities they are loosening amongst society, and the disgraceful and disgusting system they, by means to disreputable and unprincipled, are supporting and extending."] 



The public house was completely destroyed by fire in the month of June 1852. The proprietor lived next door, being the owner of both properties. Two floors of his dwelling were also written off, the contents being destroyed.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, June 1852.

At an early hour on Thursday morning (about one o'clock) the slumbering denizens of this almost suburban district were aroused by a cry of “fire.” The alarm speedily circulated through the surrounding neighbourhood and in a short time numbers were hastening in the direction of the scene of the conflagration, which was soon observable from the glare diffused around in consequence of the height the fire had attained. Here it was found that two houses in Laureston Place the two forming fortunately a detached block were on fire. One of the houses was well known as the “Dog and Gun” in the tenancy of Mr. W. Stone and the other was a private residence in the occupation of Mr. Meadows who is the proprietor of both. Almost simultaneously with the shout of alarm the rumbling of a fire engine towards the locality was heard by the inhabitants-terror inspiring, yet grateful sound because it tells of an approaching friend in the hour of need. This proved to be the No. 1 corporation engine and the despatch of it fully manned from Caroline Place to Laureston almost after the echo of the first cry of fire had died away, calls for a word of explanation mingled with a fair portion of deserved praise. On the eve of the fire a party had assembled at the Apollo Rooms and was still there when the message for the engine arrived. Several of them at once rushed to the aid of those of the fire brigade present and before a daughter of Meadows could convey intelligence of the sad event to the Police Station, engine No. 1 was at Laureston Place and ready for action.

The scarcity of water and a disposition in some unknown ones to assume the dictatorship though they were not very remarkable circumstances in connection with fires at Dover rendered the engine useless for twenty minutes or more after the arrival.

At last by a supply of buckets distributed to the houses in the vicinity, water was obtained and the engine brought into play in front of the "Dog and Gun".

Three other engines soon appeared almost together on the spot one of them being from the Castle manned by the men from the 30th depot under the command of Major Hoey, which took up its position on the Old Deal Road another the No. 2 corporation engine, which was placed in the rear of the premises, as was the third from the Heights manned by the Artillery. The two last were copiously supplied with water from the stream.

We have no wish to particularise the efforts made on the occasion because all strove most efficiently to discharge the duties upon which they had so cheerfully entered. The Captains of the corporation engines Messrs G. T. Parks and Jas. Wood while justly acknowledging that the service of their own men was entitled to the full need of much praise. They expressed themselves as highly gratified with the fearless conduct of the military the excellent working of their engines and the determination, which characterised their great efforts of doing all that the exigencies of the case, demanded. Some idea of the water thrown upon the burning houses may be gathered from the fact of the supply for the engines in front having exhausted the contents of more than one well in the neighbourhood. For three hours the engines almost combated the flames and at four o'clock all apprehensions of further danger from the fire, which had completely gutted the "Dog and Gun", and the two upper floors of Meadows house was removed. From the first arrival of the engines it was apparent that no effort could save the house occupied by Stone and it was feared that but little success could crown any exertions directed in reference to Meadows house.

In the latter instance however they particularly succeeded the ground and first two floors escaping comparatively scathe less though furniture removed from them was damaged beyond repair in its hasty transit to the street. In addition to the whole depot of the 30th and a company of the 67th Superintendent Coram and some of his force were promptly on the spot and naturally assisted in the maintenance of sufficient order. A passage of some 16 feet wide intervened between each of the burning houses and the premises adjoining. But for this circumstance and the fact of their being scarcely a breeze at the time the extent of damage might have been much more considerable. A temporary fence between the "Dog and Gun" and the house below was much charred and some of the windows in the upper storey of the house above that of Meadows are said to have been cracked by the intense heat of the conflagration. With these trifling exceptions the engines succeeded in confining the fire to the two houses alluded to as well as preventing it reaching to some out buildings attached to the "Dog and Gun". The origin of the fire consists at present a subject of inquiry. The damage done as follows -: "Dog and Gun" completely gutted and the whole contents destroyed. Meadows house-two floors and contents destroyed and the furniture in the other rooms damaged beyond recovery. The house was insured in the Sun to the full value.


Kentish Gazette 22 June 1852.


At an early hour on Thursday morning, (about one o'clock.) the slumbering denizens of this almost suburban district were aroused by a cry of "fire!" On reaching the spot, it was found that two houses in Laurestone Place—the two forming fortunately a detached block—were on fire: one of the houses was well known as the "Dog and Gun," in the tenancy of Mr. W. Stone; and the other was a private residence, in the occupation of Mr. Meadows, who is the proprietor of both. The scarcity of water rendered the first engine useless for 20 minutes or more after its arrival. At last water was obtained, and the engine brought into play in front of the "Dog and Gun." Three other engines soon appeared almost together on the spot. For three hours the engines almost incessantly combated with the flames, and at four o'clock all apprehension of further danger from the fire, which had completely gutted the "Dog and Gun," and the two upper floors of Meadows's house. The damage done is as follows "Dog and Gun" completely gutted, and the whole contents destroy. Meadows's house—two floors and contents destroyed, and the furniture in the other rooms damaged beyond recovery. The houses were injured in the Sun, it is said to their full value. The furniture of Stone was insured in the Union Office for £200, and the stock in trade for £50. The furniture of Meadows was uninsured.


Lloyd's Weekly Newspaper 27 June 1852.


The greatest excitement prevails at the present time in this town, in consequence of the outbreak of a fearful fire, which was attended with a great loss of property, and the subsequent apprehension of two persons, John Stone and his servant maid, Eliza Chapman, on a charge of arson. About one o'clock in the morning smoke was perceived issuing from the premises belonging to Mr. Stone, formerly a wine and spirit store, the licence of which had been taken away by the magistrates, owing to the house being of bad repute. The premises of late have gone by the sign of the "Dog and Gun" beer-house; and, as far as can be learned, at the time of the discovery contained only Mr. Stone and the servant before alluded to. If any other parties were in the building they unquestionably must have perished in the course of a few minute, after the alarm was given, the fire took possession of every part of the building, whence it travelled to the house adjoining, No. 6, in Lancaster-place, so that in a very brief period, both premises presented one tremendous sheet of flame. Mr. Superintendent Coram with a body of police was soon on the spot, as well as the Borough engine, which was followed by another from the castle, under the superintendence of the officers, and about 200 of rank and file of the 30th depot. After getting a supply of water, which was effected with great difficulty from the different tanks belonging to the houses adjoining, the whole force was brought to bear upon the flames; but it was past four o'clock before the fire could be extinguished, and not until Nos. 5 and 6 were entirely destroyed, and damage done to those adjoining. No. 5 was insured for £640, in the Sun, and the furniture in No. 6 was insured for £300, in the Union. Whether the other houses were insured or not could not be ascertained. From certain circumstances which came to the knowledge of the police, Mr. Stone and Eliza Chapman were both given into the custody of Mr. Coram, on a charge of having wilfully caused the fire.


Kentish Gazette 22 June 1852.


Charge of Arson against a Publican.

William Stone, landlord of the "Dog and Gun," Laurestone Place, taken into custody by Superintendent Coran on suspicion of having wilfully set fire to his residence, was brought up for examination.

Superintendent Coram deposed:— This morning, about 20 minutes past one o'clock, I was present at a fire in two houses in Laurestone-place, one of which, the "Dog and Gun," was in the occupation of the prisoner, whom I saw about an hour after going thither. I enquired of him the cause of the fire, and he replied that he had no idea, unless it had originated from a fire made in a copper stove on the ground floor to heat some water for cleaning up, as there had been painting in the house. He also told me that he went to bed about eleven, and was awoke about one by a crackling noise. On getting up and opening his chamber door, he found the smoke intense, issuing up the staircase. Prisoner at once ran to his servant's room, and succeeded in getting her into his own chamber in safety. He said that if he had been two seconds longer, both must have perished. I afterwards saw the servant, who told me that the copper fire had not been lighted for a month: she said that three soldiers were the last to leave the house on Wednesday night. They left about nine o'clock. On again questioning Stone, he said that Mr. Meadows was the last person in the house, and that he left about 10 o'clock. On taking prisoner to the station-house I searched him, and found on his person the following property:— In his coat pockets—a canvass bag containing 3s. 5 1/2d. in copper, 1 1/2d loose, 16 keys, some loose tea, a small account book, a memorandum book, a pair of steelyards, a bottle of clarified marrow and a pair of spectacles; in his right hand trousers pocket—a silver watch and guard, and 5s. 6d. in silver; in the left hand pocket—a silk and steel purse containing a silver watch, and a silk purse with 5 1/2 sovs. in gold, a £5 Bank of England note, an old coin, and a duplicate in the name of Hatton. I have since heard prisoner say he had only his shirt on when he gave the alarm, in addition to a pair of drawers. If the case be adjourned, I have every reason to believe that I shall be able to produce additional particulars to the evidence already in possession.
Eliza Chapman, servant to prisoner:— I have lived with Mr. Stone about 9 month. This morning I was awoke by my master calling "Fire!” I was in my first sleep and I think it must have been before one o'clock. I went part of the way down the flight of stairs leading from my chamber, and was then caught by my master, who pulled me into has bed room. I had only my night clothes on. On getting into his chamber, he opened his window, and cried out "Fire!" I thought he had his trousers on, and think so still; but I cannot say what colour they were, as it was dark.

By the Bench:— The flames were issuing up the staircase, but master shut the chamber door directly we got in, so that there was no light by which I could observe the colour of his trousers. There had been no painters, nor any oil brought in, other then what master and Mr. Meadows used, who had themselves been painting. I made a fire in the small copper to heat some water for cleaning up. I told Mr. Coram that no fire had been made there for a month. I had then forgotten what I have since recollected, that yesterday afternoon, between 4 and 5 o'clock, I did make a fire in a small copper, I used all wood, and no coal. Can't say whether or not the fire went out. Mrs. Stone left Dover about a fortnight ago, and took with her a large box; what it contained I don't know, nor can I say whether it was light or heavy. I have noticed nothing particular about the house this last few days. I don't know where master keeps his money; he threw his gun out of the chamber window, and such other articles as could be easily taken hold of. I know the gun used to hang over the fireplace in the bar, but about 2 months ago it was removed up stairs. The copper money was always taken up stairs at night. The tea was kept in a caddy in the bar, and I know nothing of the loose quantity found in master's pocket; the steelyards were kept in the bar. From appearance while up stairs, I must have gone through the flames to have smashed the bar, from which the fire seemed to emanate. I missed the steelyards yesterday from their usual place is the bar.

Sergeant Back:— I saw Mrs. Stone leave Dover by rail a short time since. Her husband has said it was a week last Monday, and I believe that it about the time. Her luggage, on entering the station, I observed to consist of a large box about 1 feet long, and one or more packages besides. The box appeared heavy. Stone told me that his wife was gone to visit a sick sister at Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, and since her absence bad been ill herself. He said nothing about her return to Dover.

The Bench considered that there were circumstances in the affair of a sufficiently suspicions character to warrant a remind, and the case was then adjourned to Monday next.



The name John Stone crops up on two other occasions in Laureston Place, earliest at the "Almond Tree" and later at the "Grove" and I am going to guess that those and this one were in the same premises, just the names being changed.



Last pub licensee had STONE John 1847-52 end Bagshaw's Directory 1847 (Beer retailer) (age 50 in 1851Census)


Bagshaw's Directory 1847From Bagshaw Directory 1847



If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-