Sort file:- Dover, March, 2021.

Page Updated:- Wednesday, 31 March, 2021.

PUB LIST PUBLIC HOUSES Barry Smith and Paul Skelton

Earliest 1838

Evening Star

Latest 1842

(Name to)

50 Biggin Street Pigot's Directory 1840



Chidwick in 1838 and named as Chadwick by Pigot's Directory in 1840 when the pub was said to be at number 50, and James Timan in 1842 when the authorities refused to renew the licence any more.


However, in 1792 to 1854 the same address of 50 Biggin Street was serving as the "Three Tuns", so whether there was a change of name at any time or a misprint in Pigot's Directory, I am afraid I do not know.


From the Dover Telegraph and Cinque Ports General Advertiser, Saturday 27 February, 1841. Price 5d.


On Monday last, an inquest was held at the "Hovelling Boat" public-house, before G. T. Thompson, Coroner, and a respectable Jury, touching the death of Jemima Day, alias Whitebridge, who was found lying dead on the sea beach, at the foot of Archliff fort, on Sunday morning.

Hill Norris, boatman, said - On Sunday morning, about half-past six o'clock, as I was looking out from one of the boat-houses, at the foot of Archcliff fort, I saw something bulky close by the water's edge. I went down to it, when I discovered that it was the body of a female, lying flat on its back. The body was dressed in a chequered straw bonnet, and a dark cloak, which had been washed over the head. The whole of the clothes were wet, and the body was quite cold, but not stiff. I immediately procured assistance, and we removed the body further up on the beach, and finally to the place where it now lies. The body was perfectly dressed, and none of the clothes were torn. It was high water about half-past ten on Sunday night, and it was nearly dead low water when I found the body. There was scarcely any wind all night. The tide would not run to the westward before four o'clock. About an hour after I found the body, foam issued from the mouth. The Coroner explained that in persons who were drowned, foam always issues from the mouth; but were the persons dead before they were thrown into the water, no foam ever issued.

Harriett Masters, spinster, said, I knew the deceased, as she lived at the "Evening Star" a house kept by my mother. She was what is generally called an unfortunate woman, and lived with a person named John Leggett. I last saw him with her about one o'clock on Saturday morning. Between nine and ten o'clock Saturday night - the last time I saw the deceased - she was dressed to go out. just before she went, she drank a part of two pints of beer with a railroad labourer, and she had two pennyworth of rum at the bar. About nine or ten months back, after having had a quarrel with Leggett, I heard her say, that she was afraid that she should come to some bad end. Deceased had during the last six weeks, been in good spirits, more especially so on Saturday, I never heard her complain that Leggett ever ill used her.

Louise Pique keeps the "Friend in Need," beer shop. On Saturday night about half-past ten o'clock, deceased came to my house, and asked me if her husband was there. I said, I thought not. She then entered the house and pointed to a stout man, a stranger to me, adding, that is my husband. She then went and spoke to him, and they appeared very friendly. The deceased and the man left my house about half-past eleven.

Mary Attwood said, I live at the "Evening Star." I knew the deceased , as she also lived at the above house with a person named John Leggett. On Saturday night, about eleven o'clock as I think, I met the deceased in Snargate-street, going towards the Pier. She said she wanted to speak to Leggett, and wished me to go with her. I did so, and we went to the "Royal Exchange," where we had a pint of beer; deceased had also a glass of rum. We then went to the "Friend in Need," and at the request of the deceased, I called Leggett out. He came out and wished her to go in, but she refused. He then gave her a glass of beer, and she went in and drank with him. They seemed very friendly; and they left the house together about twenty minutes afterwards. I also left the house a few minutes afterwards, and going along the Cross-wall, I saw Leggett standing alone. I asked him where Sally was. (We used to call the deceased Sally.) He said, "Gone down to the Pier; go and see if you can find her." I went down the wall a little way to meet her, and we both returned back to Leggett. They then walked down to the new Cross-wall together. I asked her if she were going home, and she answered No! I then said good night, and saw no more of her. I saw Leggett about an hour afterwards, sitting in the "Evening Star." I said nothing to him, and did not hear him speak to any one. He was very tipsy; deceased was also very tipsy when I left her. I never heard the deceased say that she would make off with herself; and I never heard her complain of Leggett.

John Leggett, blacksmith, being sworn, said, I reside at the "Evening Star," where the deceased used to live with me as my wife. On Saturday evening, I left home between six and seven o'clock; she was then in the house. I went to the "Life-boat," and had some supper with John Tults, a labourer; and after supper we had two or three pots of beer between us. We then went to the "Friend in Need," where we staid drinking till between eleven and twelve o'clock, when the last witness, Attwood, came in for me, and said that the deceased wished to speak with me. I gave her a glass of beer, and she afterwards came in and staid about a quarter of an hour or twenty minutes. After we left the house, we stood and talked on the Cross-wall, and she left me there, giving me six pence to spend, and telling me that she should be at home in a few minutes. I did not see her afterwards, but, being in liquor, I did not recollect much about it. I do not recollect the last witness, Attwood, coming and speaking to us on the Cross-wall. I never knew the deceased in better spirits than she seemed to be all day on Saturday. There had been no words between us. She has sometimes told me that she should some day make off with herself, but she never told me why she should do so, and I never asked her, for I thought it no business of mine.

The maiden name of the deceased was Day, a native of Broadstairs, at which place some of her relatives are now living. She was, however, some years since, married to a person named Woodbridge, but about five years since, when at Shoreham, in Sussex, she eloped with Leggett.

Verdict - "Found drowned, but how the deceased came into the water, there is no evidence before the Jury."




CHIDWICK/CHADWICK Edward 1838-40 Pigot's Directory 1840

MARSH Thomas 1841+ (age 40 in 1841Census)

MARSH Mrs 1841+

Last pub licensee had TIMAN/TYMAN James 1842 Next pub licensee had


Pigot's Directory 1840From the Pigot's Directory 1840


If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-