DOVER KENT ARCHIVES

Page Updated:- Sunday, 07 March, 2021.

PUB LIST PUBLIC HOUSES Paul Skelton

Earliest 1840-

George

Closed 2016

Shalmsford Street

Chartham

https://whatpub.com/george

George January 2013

Above photo January 2013.

George

Above picture taken from Google maps July 2012.

George 2013

Above photo, 2013, from https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk

George sign 1987

Above sign 1987.

With thanks from Brian Curtis www.innsignsociety.com.

Chartham map 1896

Above OS map 1896.

Chartham map 1896

Above OS map 1896.

 

So far I have managed to trace the pub back to as early as 1858. However, during the late 1980s until the early 1990s the pub was operating under the name of "Ye Olde England" but after being closed for a time in the 1990s it reverted back again to the "George."

Michael George Cordwell says the following:- Our grandfather ran this pub between 1922 and 1927, he retired from the Dragoon Guards in Canterbury as Captain Charles Edward Cordwell and ran the "George" (my uncle was born there in 1925) until his mother died and then he moved the family to Woodchester, near Stroud.

 

History information taken from their web site.

SHALMSFORD-STREET is a hamlet in this parish, built on each side of the Ashford road, near the river Stour, and the bridge which takes its name from it, at the western boundary of this parish. It was antiently called Samelesford, and in the time of the Saxons was the estate of one Alret, who seems to have lost the possession of it after the battle of Hastings; for the Conqueror gave it, among many other possessions, to Odo, bishop of Baieux, his half brother, under the general title of whose lands it is thus entered in the record of Domesday: In Ferleberg hundred, Herfrid holds of the see of the bishop, Essamelesford. It was taxed at half a suling. The arable land is one carucate. In demesne there is one carucate, and three villeins, with one borderer having one carucate. There are three servants, and eight acres of meadow. In the time of King Edward the Confessor it was valued at sixty shillings, and afterwards forty shillings, now sixty shillings. Alret held it of King Edward. Four years after the taking of the above survey, the bishop of Baieux was disgraced, and all his lands and possessions were confiscated to the king's use. Soon after which this estate seems to have been separated into two manors, one of which was called from its situation.

 

THE MANOR OF SHALMSFORD-STREET, and afterwards, from its possessors, the mansion of Bolles, a family who had large possessions at Chilham and the adjoining parishes. At length, after they were become extinct here, which was not till about the beginning of the reign of queen Elizabeth, this manor came into the name of Cracknal, and from that in the reign of king James I. to Michel, one of whose descendants leaving two daughters and coheirs, one of them married Nicholas Page, and the other Thomas George; and they made a division of this estate, in which some houses and part of the lands were allotted to Thomas George, whose son Edward dying s.p. they came to Mr. John George, of Canterbury, who sold them to Mr. Wm. Baldock, of Canterbury, and he now owns them; but the manor, manor-house, and the rest of the demesne lands were allotted to Mr. Nicholas Page, and devolved to his son Mr. Thomas Page. He died in 1796, and devised them to Mr. Ralph Fox, who now owns them and resides here. The court baron for this manor has been long disused.

ON THE OPPOSITE SIDE of the road, about twenty rods from the bridge, stood an antient seat, which was taken down about thirty-five years ago, though there is a malt house remaining on the scite of it, which has evident marks of antiquity, and of its having been once made use of as part of the offices belonging to it. In the windows of the old house were several coats of arms, that most frequent being the coat and crest of Filmer, with a crescent for difference. This seat, with the lands belonging to it, was for a great length of time owned by the Mantles, and continued so till Mary Mantle carried it in marriage to Mr. Stephen Church, of Goodnestone, the present owner of it.

THE MANOR OF SHALMSFORD BRIDGE was the other part of the bishop of Baieux's estate here, described as above in Domesday, and was that part of it which was by far of the most eminent account, and was so called not only to distinguish it from that last-mentioned, but from its situation near the bridge of this name over the river Stour, on the opposite or west side of it next to Chilham, in which parish much of the lands belonging to it lie. It was antiently accounted a member of the manor of Throwley in this county, as appears by the inquisition taken after the death of Hamo de Gatton, owner of that manor in the 20th year of King Edward I. when Roger de Shamelesford was found to hold it as such of him by knight's service. His descendant William de Shalmelesford, who possessed it in the beginning of the reign of Edward II, leaving an only daughter and heir Anne, she carried it in marriage to John Petit, who resided here, and died before the 20th year of the next reign of King Edward III, bearing for his arms, Gules, a chevron, between three leopards faces, argent. In his descendants, who resided at Shalmesford, this manor continued down to Thomas Petit, esq. of Canterbury, who died possessed of it in 1625, (fn. 7) leaving his three sisters his coheirs, who became entitled to this manor in undivided thirds. They were married afterwards, Catherine to Michael Belke; Elizabeth to Giles Master, of Woodchurch; and Dorothy first to William Master, secondly to John Merryweather, and thirdly to Parker, of Northfleet.

Michael Belke above-mentioned, whose ancestors were originally of Coperham-Sole, in Sheldwich, having purchased another third of this manor, became entitled to two thirds of it, which continued in his descendants down to Dr. Thomas Belke, prebendary of Canterbury, who died in 1712, and his heirs sold them to Mr. Hatch, of that city, who was before possessed of the other third part of this manor, which he had under his father Mr. John Hatch's will, who had purchased it of one of the descendants of Mr. Thomas Petyt, before-mentioned, and thus became entitled to the whole property of it. He died in 1761, and by will devised it to his great nephew, Mr. John Garling Hatch, of Chartham, who sold it to Mr. Joseph Saddleton. He died in 1795 intestate, leaving Elizabeth his widow, and Joseph their only son, who are the present owners of it.

Mystole is a handsome well-built seat, situated on the green of that name, in the south-west part of this parish, about a mile and an half from the church of Chartham. It was built by John Bungey, prebendary of Canterbury, who was rector of this church, and married Margaret Parker, the archbishop's niece, by whom he had several sons and daughters. He bore for his arms, Azure, a lion, passant-guardant, or, between three bezants, (fn. 8) and dying here possessed of it in 1596, was buried in this church. His eldest son Jonas Bungey succeeded him here, and in his descendants it continued till it was at length sold to Sir John Fagge, of Wiston, in Sussex, who was created a baronet on Dec. 11, 1660. But before this purchase, there were those of this name settled in this parish, as appears by their wills, and the marriage register-book in the Prerogative-office, Canterbury, as early as the year 1534, in both which they are stiled gentlemen. He left a numerous family, of whom only three sons survived; Sir Robert, his successor in title; Charles, who will be mentioned hereafter; and Thomas, ancestor of John Meres Fagge, esq. late of Brenset. Sir John Fagge died in 1700, and by will devised this seat of Mystole, with his other estates in this and the adjoining parishes, to his second son Charles Fagge, esq. of Canterbury, before-mentioned, who continued to bear the family arms, being Gules, two bends, vaire. His only surviving son Charles Fagge, esq. resided here, and married Elizabeth, youngest daughter of William Turner, esq. of the White Friars, Canterbury. His son Sir William Fagge, bart. resided at Mystole, and married Elizabeth, daughter of Abraham Le Grand, gent. of Canterbury, who died in 1785. He died in 1791, having had one son John, and two daughters, Helen, married to the Rev. Mr. Williams, prebendary of Canterbury, but since removed to Winchester; and Sarah to Edwin Humphry Sandys, gent. of Canterbury. He was succeeded by his only son the Rev. Sir John Fagge, bart. who married in 1789 Anne, only daughter and heir of Daniel Newman, esq. of Canterbury, barrister-at law, and recorder of Maidstone. He now resides at Mystole, of which he is the present possessor.

 

From the Kentish Gazette, 18 February 1840.

Shalmsford Street.

(The following was in response to Queen Victoria's recent marriage to Prince Albert on 10 February 1840. Paul Skelton.)

A party of gentlemen met at the "George Inn," Shalmsford Street, near Chartham, where an excellent dinner was well served up by the worthy landlord Mr. Hukins. After the cloth was removed, the chairman in a neat speech proposed the Queen's health and that of her consort, which was received with enthusiasm. Many other loyal toasts were given, and the evening was spent with great festivity.

 

From the Kentish Gazette, 3 March 1840.

Chartham.

The members of the Chartham Burial Society met at the "George Inn" on Saturday evening, the 22nd ult. to celebrate the prosperity of the Society, when an excellent supper was provided by the worthy and much respected landlord, Mr. Hukins. The chair was taken and most ably filled by Mr. Joseph Stubberfield, the president of the Society. Loyal and other toasts were given and received with much applause; harmony and conviviality were continued throughout the evening, when the company dispersed to their respective homes in decorum, much delighted with the pleasures of the meeting.

 

Kentish Gazette, Tuesday 1 December 1840.

Chartham Agricultural Association.

J. B. Wildman Esq. President.

The Anniversary Dinner of the Society will take place at the "George Inn," Shalmsford Street, Chartham, on Thursday the 3rd day of December, at 3 o'clock, when the company of any Gentleman favourable to the Association, will be esteemed.

The ploughing match will take place at Thruxted Farm, Chartham, commencing at 10 o'clock the same day.

Plomer Mount, Jun,. Canterbury, Nov 22nd, 1840. Honorary Secretary.

 

From the Kentish Gazette, 31 May 1842.

DIED.

May 28, suddenly, in the buoyancy of spirits, while attending a meeting of the United Britons held at the "George Inn," Shalmsford-street, Stephen Norris, aged 39, a faithful upright servant in the establishment of Sir John Fagge, bart. of Mystole. By his uniformly correct conduct in the station which he occupied, he had the good fortune to endear himself to all around him of every degree. He lived, as he died—a most meritorious example to all those individuals in his immediate sphere of life.

 

From the Kentish Chronicle, 21 January, 1860.

CHARTHAM. RIVAL CORPS.

On Wednesday, a large and influential meeting was held at the "George Inn," in this parish in connection with our Rifle Corps that has lately been formed for this and several of the neighbouring parishes. Captain Morris occupied the chair, and a number of gentlemen were present. Another meeting was held on Saturday last, when it was expected the full complement of members would be obtained. If so the Corps will shortly commence operations for drill.

 

From the Kentish Chronicle, 9 June, 1860.

CHARTHAM. ANNUAL DINNER.

The members of the Chartham Benefit Club, held at Mr. George Bourne's, the "George Inn," dined together on Saturday. Upwards of 140 sat down to an excellent repost, served up in capital style. Mr. George Hayward (president) occupied the chair. The state of the weather prevented the company from joining in out-door games; but this circumstance only added to the spirit and conviviality that prevailed in the club-room. The usual division of the surplus took place. Every one present appeared well pleased with the result of their Annual gathering.

 

South Eastern Gazette 14 July 1863.

 BEAR AND KEY INN. WHITSTABLE. GEORGE BOURNE.

Having taken this old-established Inn, solicits a continuance of the patronage so long bestowed upon his predecessors by the inhabitancy of Whitstable and its neighbourhood, and by the visitors. G. B. also takes this opportunity of thanking his numerous friends and customers who supported him in his late business at the "George Inn," Shalmsford Street.

Whitstable 6th July, 1863.

 

From the Whitstable Times and Herne Bay Herald, Saturday 12 January, 1867. Price 1d.

CHARTHAM. SAMBLING.

At the County Police Court, on Saturday Thomas Newington, landlord of the “Cross Keys,” and Robert Streeting, of the “George,” both in this parish, pleaded guilty to allowing raffling to be carried on in their houses during the Christmas holidays, and were each fined 1s. costs 10s.

 

From Whitstable Times and Herne Bay Herald 12 September 1891.

ST AUGUSTINES PETTY SESSIONS.

SATURDAY, September 5th. - (Before O. C. Waterfield, Esq., in the chair, and Captain Lambert).

BREWSTER SESSIONS.

This being the annual licensing session, Superintendent Wood presented his annual report which was as follows:-

The GEORGE INN, CHARTHAM, has not been so well conducted as in my opinion it might have been.

I have no complaint to make against the house. There are 102 fully-licensed houses, 36 beerhouses, and 11 grocers and others licensed to sell beer, spirits, and wine not to be consumed on the premises. Thirty one persons ( 26 males and 5 females) have been proceeded against, and 30 convicted for drunkenness and drunk and disorderly conduct, this being one less than the previous year." The whole of the licences were then renewed, and the sessions adjourned for three weeks when applications for new licences will be heard.

 

From the Whitstable Times and Herne Bay Herald, Saturday 9 September, 1939.

PEDESTRIAN FATALLY INJURED IN MOTOR CYCLING ACCIDENT AT CHARTHAM.

A crash un the main Cantcrbury-Ashford Road at Chilham on Saturday evening between a motor cycle and a pedestrian, as a result of which, the pedestrian received fatal injuries, was investigated by the Canterbury City Coroner (Mr. C. A Gardner) and a jury at an inquest held at the Kent and Canterbury Hospital on Tuesday.

Deceased was William James Reed (51), a bricklayer’s labourer, residing at 9, High Street, Upchurch, near Rainham, who died in the Hospital on Sunday morning.

It was stated during the inquest that the motor cyclist, Sergeant D. J. Blowers, of the Royal Artillery, who resided at Shalmsford Street, Chartham, was still dangerously ill as a result of the injuries he received in the crash.

Myra Elizabeth Harrell, a mill worker, gave evidence of identification and stated that deceased had been residing with her for the past 15 years. On Saturday, he went to Lower Emsden Farm, Chilham, where hop-picking was in progress, to stay the week-end. At 10.15 that night witness left him inside the "George" public house, Shalmsford Street. His sight was failing but his hearing was quite good.

The Rev. Edwin Henry Steele 23, Limes Road, Folkestone, stated that on Saturday he was attached to the Hop-pickers’ Mission at Shalmsford Street. About 10.40 p.m. he was standing by the gateway on the path leading to Lower Emsden Farm when he saw a motor cycle coming from the direction of Canterbury. It was approaching very steadily as to speed and was under good control. Its lights were perfectly visible although they were obscured. It was on its proper side of the road. At the same moment, witness saw a pedestrian walking down Shalmsford Street in the centre of the road. He was walking in a manner which witness could only describe as "lazy or inattentive." It was clear that he was coming out into the main road but witness thought he saw the motor cycle. He appeared to halt and then go on again. Just as witness shouted a warning, the motor cycle hit the man. Witness was of the opinion that the motor cyclist did not see deceased until the very last moment and swerved slightly to avoid him. Deceased was then about four feet out in the main road from Shalmsford Street. He was thrown forward and landed in the gutter on the Ashford side of the turning. The motor cycle appeared to turn round and skid backwards in the opposite direction to the pedestrian. It landed some yards on the Ashford side of the Lower Emsden opening. There was a pillion passenger, who, as far as witness could see, was thrown clear but the driver was mixed up with the machine. Witness went to the pedestrian first and saw that he was severely injured. With the aid of another person he lifted him on to the pathway, made him comfortable and made arrangements for his removal to hospital.

Septimus Alexander Robson, a farmer, of Shalmsford Farm, Chartham, a special constable, stated that he was on duty on the evening in question and was standing about 150 yards on the Canterbury side of the turning to Shalmsford Street, when he saw a motor cycle approaching at a very normal speed and with its lights well obscured. A few minutes after it had passed him he heard a crash and he proceeded to the spot. In witness' opinion the lights of the motor cycle were according to regulation and the machine could be plainly heard.

Dr. J. L. Gild, resident house surgeon at the Kent and Canterbury Hospital, stated that deceased was admitted at 11.20 p.m. on Saturday and died at 11 a.m. the following day. Witness had since carried out a post mortem examination and found the cause of death to be shock following cerebral haemorrhage and several fractures, including one of the skull.

The Coroner, in summing up, said that although deceased had failing sight, his hearing was supposed to be good, and hearing counted more on such occasions. Motor cycles always made a considerable amount of noise while proceeding along a road.

The Jury returned a verdict of Accidental Death and exonerated the driver of the motor cycle from all blame.

 

From the https://www.kentonline.co.uk By Alex Claridge, 8 December 2013

Pub landlords Bob Mitchell and Sharon Austin say they are victims of hate campaign at George Inn in Chartham.

A couple say their dream of running a successful village pub has been turned into a nightmare by a vicious hate campaign against them.

Bob Mitchell and Sharon Austin, of Chartham’s "George Inn," have been accused of being drug takers, have had unwanted pizzas and taxis sent to them, received silent phone calls and false bookings, and believe their every move is being reported to the authorities.

Acting on complaints about planning issues, Canterbury City Council has threatened them with a possible 20,000 fine or two years in prison over static caravans at the back of the pub in Shalmsford Street.

Sharon Austin 2013

Landlady Sharon Austin feels someone is waging a vendetta against her.

Sharon, 56, said: “There is no doubt that a hate campaign is being carried out against us.

“We feel like our every move is being complained about, sometimes seemingly just minutes after we’ve done it.

“We are getting taxis sent, takeaways and someone even claimed we are drug addicts.

“Worse still, the council seems to be doing the bidding of the people who are targeting us in the village.

“It is turning into a nightmare.”

Sharon Austin 2013

Pub landlady Sharon Austin.

Bob, 50, known as Mitch, and Sharon took the pub on in August last year and opened at Halloween after spending thousands doing it up. They decided that in order to make a living they needed to offer punters more than just food and drink.

Static caravans for accommodation were moved to the back of the pub, a children’s play area was created with farm animal enclosures and a memorial garden is being built for her nephew Chris Austin, a musician who died, aged 38, from cancer earlier this year.

The council says the caravans are in breach of planning rules because they affect the look of the area.

But Sharon counters that a new 26-house estate across the road, which replaced a historic oast house, affects the area far more.

And she is furious that the council is refusing to tell her who in Chartham is behind the complaints about the "George."

“Apparently, if they tell me I might commit a criminal act – which is rubbish, of course,” Sharon said.

Bob added: “There are something like 26 pubs closing a week and all we wanted to do was offer people a diverse experience here.

“There’s nothing like this around here. All these complaints have done is strengthen our resolve to make the business a success.”

 

Information received in August 2016 say the pub has closed, been sold for development and the rumour is that it's going to be converted into a care home.

Further information, November 2016 says it's been sold for 350,000 and as the Canterbury County Council have refused its change of use it may reopen as a pub/restaurant with accommodation as a Bed and Breakfast, but currently is still boarded up.

October 2017, unfortunately still closed and awaiting a final decision from the planning department. I have just been informed by Amardeep Dosanjh that it has been bought privately and is currently being converted into a residential property.

 

Former George 2018

Above photo October 2018, kindly taken and sent by Doogie Moon.

Former George 2018

Above photo October 2018, kindly taken and sent by Doogie Moon.

George 2019

Above photo, April 2019, kindly taken and sent by Rory Kehoe.

 

LICENSEE LIST

GOLDUP Stephen 1858+

STREETING Robert 1867+ Whitstable Times

BOURNE George 1860-July/63 Next pub licensee had (age 45 in 1861Census)

WEBB George Edward 1871-74+ (age 41 in 1871Census)

GOLDUP Stephen 1879+

STUPPLES James G 1881-91+ (age 54 in 1891Census)

SILLS Edwin 1901-13+ (age 52 in 1901Census)

HAWLEY Newman 1922+

CORDWELL Captain Charles Edward 1922-27

Last pub licensee had MOODY Frederick Next pub licensee had 1930s

SINDEN Robert James 1938-39+ (age 39 in 1939)

EDWARDS Ron and Margaret Next pub licensee had 1960s-70s

MITCHELL Bob & AUSTIN Sharon Aug/2012-13+

https://pubwiki.co.uk/George.shtml

 

Whitstable TimesWhitstable Times and Herne Bay Herald

 

If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-

TOP Valid CSS Valid XTHML