Sort file:- Dover, September, 2021.

Page Updated:- Wednesday, 29 September, 2021.

PUB LIST PUBLIC HOUSES Barry Smith and Paul Skelton

Earliest 1867

(Name from)

Bell and Lion

Latest Sept 1878

(Name to)

8 Adrian Street



An outlet of Wright, it had been known as the "Great Mogul Tavern". George Burnett came here from the "Cambridge Arms" in 1867 and may have made the change. It was not a very lucky choice. Disorderly behaviour brought about the closure in 1877, although it did reopen again at the end of the year.


Somebody was lucky enough to get the licence reinstated the following year but from then it was restricted to six day trading and the name changed once more to "Northumberland Arms".


From the Dover Express and East Kent Intelligencer, 29 November, 1867.


Ellen Macdonald was charged with stealing, from a soldier named Michael Kennedy, a handkerchief and 4 15s. in gold and silver.

The prosecutor said he was a private soldier of the 51st Regiment, stationed at Dover. On the evening of Saturday last, he was at the "Bell and Lion" public-house, Adrian Street, in company with the prisoner. He went in first about five o'clock, but left and returned about seven o'clock. The prisoner went with him to the "Cambridge Hall," between five o'clock and seven. They then went back to the "Bell and Lion." He was perfectly sober. The prisoner asked him to take her to the "Clarence Music Hall," and he consented to do so; but on the way she asked him to take her into a public-house in Snargate Street to "release" some rings for her. He refused, saying, "What a fool I'd be." They then went to the "Clarence," the prosecutor paying for the admission of himself and the prisoner and also for another soldier and a girl. They all went back to the "Bell and Lion," where he called for half-a-pint of rum. The prisoner brought in the half-pint of rum, and also a separate glass full of some other liquor. He drank it, and it made him very ill; he went outside, and when he returned to the house his "head reeled," and he became insensible. Another girl brought a basin of water and washed his face. He partially recovered and felt the prisoner's hand in his pocket, in which were the handkerchief and money. There was also a pair of mits in his pocket. There were three sovereigns, three half-sovereigns, and a five shilling piece in the handkerchief. The latter was of white cambric and his initials were marked upon it. After the robbery, he left the house and was taken by the patrol, and conveyed to barracks.

Michael Scanlan, also a private in the 51st Regt., deposed that he was in company with the prosecutor on Saturday night at the public-house in Adrian Street. While they were sitting in the tap-room the prisoner and another girl came down stairs. The four of them sat down to play cards for half-pint of rum. Kennedy afterwards called for a second half-pint of rum, of which they all partook. Witness and Kennedy then went to the "Cambridge Hall", followed by the two girls. There they had another half-pint of rum. The witness next described the visit to the "Clarence," and also the return to the "Bell and Lion," at both of which places they had more rum; and he also corroborated Kennedy's statement to the separate glass handed to the latter by one of the girls, but he would not swear it was the prisoner. After Kennedy had returned to the tap-room he was bleeding from the effects of his fall, and the prisoner shouted, "Who did that, who got him in such a state?" At the same time, the other girl brought in some water and a towel. The two girls were quite close to Kennedy, and witness saw the prisoner with a handkerchief, a knot in which she was opening with her hand. Witness did not know whether Kennedy had given her the handkerchief to hold, but he knew there was money in it, because Kennedy had just received his bounty of 5. He told the prisoner he was aware how much money there was in the handkerchief. He thought Kennedy received his handkerchief back again. Both the girls then went out of the room together. Witness added that he saw there was gold in the handkerchief, while it was in prisoner's hand. Neither the money not the handkerchief have been recovered.

By the prisoner: I was not fighting with Kennedy in the back yard. He fell down.

George Matson, landlord of the "Perseverance" public-house, Snargate Street, deposed that he knew the prisoner. He saw her in front of the bar on the Saturday named, in company with the prosecutor. On Sunday she brought a sovereign to him, and "released" three silver rings that he had had of hers for a week previously. He gave her 18s. 6d. change, all in silver. He saw no more money in her possession.

Sarah Christy, wife of William Christy, shoemaker of Last Lane, deposed that on Saturday evening the prisoner came to the shop about eight o'clock for a pair of boots on which she had left 4s. Another young person who was with her paid the remaining 3s. 6d. The other girl then bought a pair of boots for 7s. 6d. and the prisoner paid for them with a half-sovereign, receiving 2s. 6d. in change.

The prisoner had nothing to say in defence, and pleaded guilty.

She was committed to Wandsworth gaol for six weeks' hard labour.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 1 January, 1869.


George Cunliffe, a gunner in the Royal Artillery, was charged with stealing from the "Bell and Lion" public-house, a tobacco-cutter, the property of Mr. Burnett, value 2s.

Prisoner it seemed went to the house in question and brought away the tobacco-cutter with him which he afterwards showed to one of his comrades.

As this was his first offence, he was only sentenced to 14 days' imprisonment with hard labour.


From the Dover Express and East Kent Intelligencer, 2 January, 1874. Price 1d.


Thomas James, a private in the 9th Regiment, was charged with having stolen, on the 27th inst., one silver watch, the property of Emma Knighton.

Prosecutrix deposed: I am a servant at the "Bell and Lion," Adrian Street. On Saturday night, at half-past ten, I was going to Bulwark-hill with prisoner, who had called me to see a friend of mine on guard there. When we got half-way he asked me the time. I took out my watch to see, when he snatched it away and ran off with it. There was a black chain attached to the watch which was broken. The value of the watch is 2. Prisoner ran off towards the South-Eastern Station. I first gave information to the military police. I have been on the register of prostitution for two years. The landlord of the "Bell and Lion" is aware of that.

Emma Belsey deposed: I live in Oxenden-street .I am on the register. On Saturday night, at about half-past ten, I met Knighton in Oxenden-street. Prisoner was not with her. She was going towards the hill, and I went with her. Prisoner came up and spoke to Knighton, asking her what the time was. She took out her watch, and he snatched it away and ran off with it. He was not with her before that. I did not go anywhere with prisoner to drink. A girl named Baker was with Knighton when I met her. Prisoner ran down the hill with the watch. I have met Knighton with the watch before. After that Knighton and Baker went down Oxenden-road. Knighton had previously called out to a soldier; who was coming up the hill that prisoner had taken her watch.

By the Bench: I had never seen prisoner before I saw him snatch the watch. Prisoner was not with Knighton when I met her.

Agnes Baker, of no fixed residence, deposed: On Saturday night, between nine and ten, I met Knighton in Snargate-street. We went together towards Archliffe Fort. We went first to the "Bell and Lion," Adrian-street. I had met Knighton close to the turning leading to the "Oxford." Prisoner was with Knighton when I met her. After we left the "Bell and Lion" we went straight down Snargate-street, and through Limekiln-street, and we went into the "Archliffe Fort Inn." We then went up Bulwark-hill. We did not meet any women. No one met us before the robbery took place. We met Belsey at the "Archliffe Fort Inn." Prisoner walked up the hill with us, and frequently asked Knighton what the time was. When Knighton took out her watch prisoner snatched at it and ran away. We were all three together, and went down Snargate-street with the policeman.

The military policeman on guard at the bottom of Bulwark-hill said he was told by prisoner that a soldier had stolen her watch.

He divided the picquet and dispatched them in different directions but could not see the prisoner. It was about half-past ten. Prosecutrix and another woman who was with her appeared to be drunk.

A Sergeant who was on duty at Fort Burgoyne said prisoner came there at about three minutes past 11. He was then quite sober.

The officer who watched the case said prisoner bore a very good character.

Police-constable Corrie said he apprehended prisoner. The watch had not been found.

The bench said the prisoner would be discharged on his own recognisance's and in the meantime enquiries would be made respecting the watch.


From Dover Express, Friday, September 24, 1875; pg. 3; Issue 895.



(Before R. H. Jones, and T. E. Back, Esqrs.)

John MacManus, landlord of the "Bell and Lion" public-house, Adrian-street, was summoned for having his house open for the sale of intoxicating drinks at 11.35 on Wednesday night; and Thomas and William Welby were summoned for being on the premises.

Police-sergeant Barton said that on Wednesday night he went with Constables Walker and Edmunds to the "Bell and Lion" and after knocking twice were admitted. The two defendants Thomas and William Welby were standing before the bar, the one with a glass of ale and the other a glass of spirits. Sergeant Barton asked why they were there, and the landlord said Thomas Welby was going to sleep there. William Welby drank his ale and left. Thomas Welby stayed in the house but he subsequently left saying there was no accommodation there.

The Constables corroborated Sergeant Barton's evidence.

The landlord said that William Welby was a personal friend of his and that Thomas Welby had engaged a bed, but as he had left the house and had not paid for it in advance he did not let him in again.

Thomas Welby said he had only the previous day arrived from Paris and was not aware what time the houses closed in Dover.

The landlord was fined 40s. and costs, and the defendants 5s. each and costs. There being nothing known against the house previously the licence was not endorsed.


From the Dover Express and East Kent Intelligencer, 27 April, 1877. Price 1d.


John MacManus, landlord of the "Bell and Lion" public-house, Adrian Street, was summoned on the information of Superintendent Saunders, for permitting his house to be used as a brothel.

Mr. Worsfold Mowll deposed: Evidence was given by two unfortunates, Susan Jones and Emma Morgan, who had slept at the house with men.

Henry B. Shillito, residing opposite the "Bell and Lion," said he had frequently seen girls of the town enter the defendant's house with different men, and go up stairs, but he had not seen so much of that lately.

Mr. Alexandra Brock gave similar evidence.

The Bench inflicted a fine, including costs, 5 19s. 6d., and the license to be taken away.

Mr. Mowll mentioned that a new license would be applied for on Monday next.


An application was made by Mr. Worsfold Mowll on behalf of Mr. Herbert Wright, brewer, at Maxton, for a new license, to be held by the Clerk until a suitable tenant could be found for the "Bell and Lion," Adrian Street, which had been closed owing to the tenant's being convicted for allowing disreputable characters to remain upon the premises.

The Bench retired to consult together and after an absence of a few minutes returned into Court, the Chairman (T. E. Back, Esq.) stated that they had had some difficulty in coming to a decision in this case; the license would be granted again, but particular care would have to be taken that the house was conducted properly as the license would not be renewed on another occasion.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 14 December, 1877. Price 1d.


The "Bell and Lion," Adrian Street, was transferred to Cornelius Brown, and he was warned to be very careful how he conducted the house, which had been closed under circumstances of foul reputation.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday 6 September, 1878


The annual sitting of the Dover Magistrates Licensing Committee took place on Monday at Dover, for the purpose of renewing public-house licenses, and hearing applications for new ones. The Licensing Committee consists of E. F. Astley, S. Finnis, R. Dickeson, T. E. Black, R. Rees, W. R. Mowll, and C. Stein, Esqrs. They were all present except Mr. Dickeson, who is in Cumberland.


On the application of Mr. Coleman, the name of this house was changed to the “Northumberland Arms,” and a six instead of seven day license was granted.




Last pub licensee had BURNETT George 1867-72 end Next pub licensee had

McMANUS John 1872-77 end Post Office Directory 1874

BROWN Cornelius Next pub licensee had Dec/1877-Sept/78


Post Office Directory 1874From the Post Office Directory 1874


If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-