Sort file:- Dover, September, 2021.

Page Updated Dover:- Wednesday, 29 September, 2021.

PUB LIST PUBLIC HOUSES Barry Smith and Paul Skelton

Earliest 1867-

(Name from)

Archcliffe Fort Inn

Latest 1989

5a Bulwark Street and Limekiln Street Kelly's Directory 1950

6a Bulwark Street in 1901 Post Office Directory 1903


Archliffe Fort Inn circa 1900

The original Archliff Fort Inn, Bulwark Street in about 1900. Thought to date from 1867, it overlooked the fort of the same name built by Henry VIII. It moved to new premises in the same street in 1914.

Archliffe Fort

Above photo showing the original "Archcliffe Fort" probably just before demolition, date unknown, kindly supplied by Lisa Hudson.

A document attached with the above photo when posted on the internet stated the following:- 1925 (Old) Archliffe  Fort, 5A Bulwark Street, Dover. The Old Archliffe Fort stood detached and open for Custom, for about 12 months. 93 year old Mr. Bert Marbrook, (1973, May) today still living in Bulwark Street was the landlord.

The row of houses on the left-hand side of the picture is Limekiln Street. The tall building in the centre is the "Granville" Public House. The building up on the cliff, above Limekiln Street, is to do with the minister of defence, and was pilled down in April-May 1973.



Further recent research gathered from an early map (circa 1850) shows a public house called the "Prince of Orange" situated in Bulwark Street on what is believed to be the very same site.


Archcliff Fort pre 1914

Above shows the original Archcliff Fort Inn pre 1914 when it was demolished and moved slightly.

Below shows the original Archliff Fort just before it was demolished.

Archliff Fort Inn pre circa 1914

From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 19 May, 1874. Price 1d.


Samuel French, brought up in custody from the Union Hospital, was charged with attempting to commit suicide on the 18th of April last.

Charlotte Parfitt deposed: I am the wife of Charles parfitt, who keeps the “Archliff Fort Inn.” On the 12th of April, at about half-past twelve, prisoner came in and called for a pint of porter, and went into the parlour with two soldiers. They stayed there about 1 hours, when the soldiers came out and asked if I would allow prisoner to lie down somewhere, and I permitted him to lie down in the sitting-room. About seven or eight minutes afterwards I looked into the room and saw he had cut his throat. Dr. Colbeck and a Policeman were called, and prisoner was soon after removed to the hospital.

Police-constable Pilcher deposed: On the 18th of April, about two in the afternoon, I was called to the “Archliff Fort Inn.” I went to the front sitting room upstairs, and saw prisoner, who was being attended by Dr. Colbeck, lying on the floor with a wound in his throat and a large clasp-knife by his side.

Dr. Alfred Grandison deposed: I am house surgeon at the Dover Hospital. On the 18th of April prisoner was brought in. I examined him and found he had been drinking hard for some time previous, being in a condition bordering on delirium tremens. I have no reason to suppose he is insane.

The Bench: Where do you come from?

Prisoner: From London. I'm a stableman.

The Bench: What have you to say for yourself?

Prisoner: Very sorry, sir. I was disappointed in getting work, and had more drink than was good for me, and did not know what I was about.

The Bench: The Magistrates will leave the case to be tried before the Recorder. You are committed to take your trial at the next Quarter Sessions.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 3 July, 1874. Price 1d.


The Grand Jury returned a true bill against Samuel French, 26, groom, indicted for attempting to commit suicide on the 18th of April.
Prisoner pleaded guilty.

On the 18th of April, at about two in the afternoon, French entered the “Archliff Fort Inn,” and, after drinking with two soldiers, requested to be allowed to lie down. He was shown a room, and after he had been there a few minutes the landlady, attracted by the noise, rushed into the room, and saw prisoner on the sofa with a wound in his throat, and a clasp-knife lying beside him.

In answer to the Recorder, the Superintendent said prisoner was taken to the hospital on the 18th of April, and discharged as cured on the 25th of May, when he was brought before the Magistrates.

Major Plummer said prisoner, who had been admitted to bail, had been in the service of the Rev. Charles Oxenden, of Nonington, for about a month and had tried hard to give satisfaction.

The Recorder: have you anything to say?

Prisoner: I am very sorry it happened.

The Recorder: It was a wicked act on your part to inflict a serious wound of this kind with intent to take your own life. I understand that when in the hospital you expressed great regret, and before the Magistrates said you were exceedingly sorry. It seems that since you have met with kind friends, and there is reason to believe you will not repeat this act, so you will enter into your own recognizance of 20 to come up for judgment when called upon, which means you will hear nothing further of the matter if you conduct yourself well in the future. I am sure you most deeply regret what has occurred, and take care by your behaviour to remove the unpleasant impression caused by your rash attempt.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 17 July, 1874. Price 1d.


William Charles Parfitt, landlord of the “Archliff Fort Inn,” was summoned for assaulting Henry Knott.

Defendant pleaded not guilty.

Complainant deposed: I am a labourer, and live at 37, Oxenden Street. On Saturday afternoon between one and two, I went into the “Archliff Fort Inn,” kept by defendant. I called for a glass of beer, and stood waiting for it, when defendant, who was behind the bar, without saying anything, up with his fist and struck me on the face. I asked him what he did it for, and he then took hold of my collar and ran me into the street. I did not say anything, but went to Mr. Stillwell's office and got a summons for him.

Parfitt said in defence, that complainant came drunk into his house. When refused to be served, he began to use foul language, so he was ejected with gentle force.

There were no witnesses for either party, and the Bench said it was impossible to say on which side the truth lay. The case must be dismissed.


From the Dover Express and East Kent Intelligencer, 11 December, 1874. Price 1d.


On Monday evening about half-past five, Thomas Fenner, a young seaman of the crew of the Trinity Pilot Cutter, No. 4, was crossing the dock gate at the Wellington Bridge, when he fell into the deepwater in the Pent, when it is supposed he was sucked under by the force of water running through the gates. He was rescued in four minutes, but life then could not be restored. W. H. Payne, Esq., Borough Coroner, held an inquest on Tuesday at the "Archliff Fort Inn," when the following evidence was given:-

Frederick Pike, mariner, master of the fishing smack, Alice, of Dover, said: I have known the deceased three or four years. He was one of the crew of the Dover Pilot Cutter, No. 4. He was 26years of age. He lodged at my house and was home at dinner about one o'clock yesterday. I saw him no more till after he was drowned.

Edward Hambrook said: I am a seaman on board the Pilot Cutter, No. 4 Yesterday evening about a quarter past five, as we left the cutter, in the bridge way, the deceased fell into the water. We had been engaged scrubbing the cutter's bottom. We were leaving, and I started first, and I heard a splash in the water inside the dock gates near the swing bridge. Drags were brought immediately, and I hooked him in the chest the first time I threw the drags. The drag unhooked when he came to the surface. I hooked him again in the leg and pulled him up and got him out. We took the deceased to the Sailor's Home and Dr. Colbeck was in attendance and tried to resuscitate him but failed.

George Brown, a gentleman's servant, said: Yesterday evening about a quarter past five, when I was walking on the Wellington Bridge, I heard a sailor say "Good Night Tom" to some one on board a cutter. I got as far as the end of the bridge when I heard a splash and a man cry, and I heard someone on board a cutter say, "Poor Tom's overboard." I immediately ran down to the gate to look if I could do anything and could see nothing, and I saw nothing there, but heard a cry from the other side. I looked there and saw a few bubbles in the water, but saw nothing of the man. I ran for a drag and gave it to the last witness, who drew up the deceased with it. I reached over the bridge and held up the deceased by the boot while a mate tied a rope round his leg and pulled him up. I did not think he was dead then for I put my hand down his breast and felt beating of the heart. We put him in a wagon and took him to the Sailor's Home. Efforts were made to restore him without effect.

By the foreman: The deceased had his head under the water a minute and a half before we could pull him out. I should say he was under the water four minutes altogether.

Dr. Colbeck said: Yesterday evening about half-past five I went to the Sailor's Home and found the deceased stripped and efforts were being made under Mr. Hatch's direction to restore animation. On examination I discovered that he was quite dead, and felt all further attempts would be useless. I have arrived at the conclusion that he died from drowning.

A verdict of "Accidental death was returned."


Dover Express, Friday 1 October 1875.

Suspicious posession of a dog.

Samuel Young, and Henry Smith, privates in the 104th Bengal Fusiliers, were charged with stealing a black and tan terrier bitch, the property of Charles Parfitt.

Charles Parfitt said:- I keep the "Archcliff Fort Inn." The prisoners were in my house last night, about 6 o'clock. They left before 8 o'clock. I saw my dog in the bar at 6 o'clock, when the prisoners were there. I went to lie down soon after the prisoners came, leaving my wife and daughter in charge. About 10 o'clock, the Sergeant of Police asked me if I had got a dog, and I gave a description of it. We searched for the dog, and I gave a description of it. I went with him to the Police Station, and there I saw the dog, which I know produce, and identify as mine. The dog is hardly 4 months old. I would not take 5 for the dog.

Sergeant Stevens said:- About 9:15 last night, my attention was drawn to the two prisoners in King Street, and I followed them into Castle Street. I found them in the "Burlington" bar Castle Street. The prisoner Young had the dog in his arms, and Smith had a white cat, spotted with brown and black in his arms. I asked Young whose dog it was, and he said it was his. I asked him how long he it had been in his possession, and he first said a "day or two," and then said "It was giving him that night by the landlord of the "Archcliff Fort Inn." I then asked Smith who the cat belong to, and he said he had had it given him by the landlord of the "Archcliff Fort Inn." I told him I had reason to believe that they were stolen that I should take them into custody. They were about to make their escape, when I called the aid of a picket and took them to the station, where I charged them with stealing the cat and dog. I afterwards went to the "Archcliffe Fort Inn," and saw the landlord, and came to the station and identified the dog.

By Mr. Jones: The prisoners have been in the habit of using my house and Smith has been coming there ever since the regiment came to the garrison and I am much surprised at this job occurring. Young I do not know so much about, but he has been there occasionally.

Young said he saw the dog in Bulwark Street, and he picked it up, thinking it belonged to a sergeant of his Regiment.

The Lieutenant attending said that Young's character was fair; Smith's was indifferent.

Mr. Back:- Can you call a witness to prove that there is a dog at the barracks like this.

Prisoner:- Yes.

Corporal Morgan came forward and said there was a dog at their quarters, that might have been mistaken for this one.

Sergeant Stevens in reply to the Bench, said the men were not quite sober.

The Magistrates said they should be very sorry to bring a stain on the character of the two men, being in Her Majesty's Service, and there being considerable doubt in the case, it would be dismissed.


From the Dover Express and East Kent Intelligencer, 20 August, 1880. Price 1d.


An inquest was held at the “Archliffe Fort Inn” on Saturday, before the Borough Coroner (W. H. Payne, Esq.), on the body of Dennis Mahoney, a private of the 86th Regiment, who was drowned the previous day whilst bathing.

Sergeant James Kearney, of the 86th Regiment said: the deceased private Dennis Mahony is 22 years of age. Yesterday morning at about six o'clock the deceased went down to the sea shore near Shakespeare's Cliff, with his regiment to bathe. I saw the deceased in the water when he was swimming. I passed him, but on getting about 15 or 20 yards ahead of him I heard somebody call out, “There is something wrong with Mahoney.” I turned round and noticed that his head was lower in the water than it should be. I shouted to the man nearest to me, and told him to catch hold of deceased by hair to support him until I could reach there. He tried to do so, but deceased sank almost immediately. I dived with Private O.Brien, but we did not succeed in finding deceased. There was a very strong undercurrent. O'Brien dived several times. I went ashore and reported the accident to Major Crofton. The spot was about 20 or 30 yards from shore.

William Collins deposed: I am a private in the 86th Regiment. Yesterday morning at about six o'clock I was on the beach near Shakespeare's Cliff, and saw a body in the water about 30 feet from the shore. I ran into the water up to my waist and pulled it out on the shore. I identified it as the body of the deceased. He had been in the regiment about two years.

Brevet-Major F. Crofton, of the 86th Regiment, deposed: Yesterday I marched the bathing parade of the regiment to the appointed place – near Shakespeare's Cliff. On arrival there, seeing that the bathing piquet and boat were at their proper station, I ordered the men to enter the water. The witness came out and reported to me that deceased had sunk. I got into the boat and rowed about the spot he indicated for more than half an hour, but I could find no trace of him. I sent to the harbour for drags. We dragged the place till 8.20, when the body washed in. On shore no idea prevailed that anything had happened till the sergeant came out and told them.

By Mr. Boulter: The boat was not on shore.

Surgeon Blair Brown, of the Army Medical Department, said he examined the deceased and he appeared to have been drowned.

By Mr. Boulter: It is not the rule for a medical officer to accompany the regiment.

The Coroner then summed up, and the jury returned a verdict of “Accidental Death,” expressing also that a medical officer should accompany the parade in future.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday 22 January, 1909.


Last week the death, at Deal, was announced, at the age of 70, of Mr. Frederick Buckingham, for several years landlord of the "Archliffe Fort Inn," the "Engineer," and the "Invicta Inn" at Dover. The deceased gentleman had had a somewhat varied and interesting career, having joined the Metropolitan police force in 1858, being then not 20 years of age. He was posted to the Vine Street division, where his ability and natural shrewdness, coupled with his smart and good appearance, soon brought him under the notice of Sir Richard Mayne, who appointed him one of the special officers at the Exhibition of 1861, where his knowledge of the shady characters of the West End of London stood him in good stead in checking the various forms of swindling, etc. then so much in vogue. Being appointed Divisional Detective for several years the "Duke," as he was familiarly called, was specially selected for duty at the Royal enclosures at Ascot, Goodwood and other classic races, particularly when Royal parsonages were attending. In the seventies, consequent on the Fenian activity, he was sent to the East End of London, where he served with distinction and credit, that the arduous duties of guarding the immense Beckton gas mains from the threatened attack of Fenians ( damage to which would have plunged half of London in darkness) told severely on his health, and in 1882 he was reported by the Chief Surgeon unfit for service, when he left with a pension for life. Mr. Buckingham was a genial individual, and a great favourite with his superiors and colleagues alike. A good officer and many of his old colleagues will learn of his death with the utmost regret. Mr. Buckingham, was a member of the Peace and Harmony Lodge of Freemasons, and also of many benevolent and Philanthropic Institutions of Dover.



The business moved slightly in 1914 when new premises were built, in the same street, but a few yards distant on the site of a former shop. The first viaduct crossing the railway lines opened to traffic in 1922 but was replaced in the seventies with the spur to Bulwark Street discontinued.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday 27 February, 1914. Price 1d.


The adjourned annual Licensing Meeting was held this Friday morning, before the following members of the Licensing Committee:- Sir William Crundall (in the chair) and Messrs. W. J. Barnes, H. F. Edwin, F. W. Prescott, F. Wright, T. A. Terson, and M. Pepper.

Mr. Rutley Mowll applied on behalf of Messrs. Leney and Co., for permission to renew the licence of the “Archliffe Fort Inn” from the house on the present site to a new house to be erected in Bulwark Street on the site of Mr. Burkett's shop. It was only moved 10 feet, and the application was really a technicality. There was no opposition.

Mr. Herman proved the service of notice, etc., and Mr. F. Hayward produced the plans.

In reply to Mr. Harby, Mr. Mowll said he supposed the site would be replaced with a private house. In reply to the Magistrates Mr. Mowll said it was in accordance with an arrangement with the Town Council. It was taken to a corner. The cost would be about 1,200.

The application was granted, and the plans agreed to.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 4 March, 1914. Price 1d.


The removal of the licence of the “Archliffe Fort Inn,” to the site of the late Mr. Burkett's shop was also confirmed.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 8 February, 1924. Price 1d.


Mr. Rutley Mowll applied, on behalf of Messrs. A. C. Leney and Co., for the removal of the licence of the “Archliffe Fort Inn" from one side of the spur at the Viaduct to the other, rendered necessary by the arrangement of the railway services at the Pier.

There was no opposition; and the application was granted, and plans approved.



The nearby fort which at one time dominated the whole, was largely demolished in 1927-8. It was a defensive measure instigated by Henry VIII at the same time as the Mote Bulwark along the sea shore. The formation of Bulwark Street commenced about 1800 but the origin of the pub is thought to be 1867.

Referred to as "Carter's Archcliffe Fort Inn", suggests that James Carter was the first keeper. He handed over to Parfitt in 1873.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 13 March, 1925. Price 1d.

Limekiln Street 1925

Limekiln Street - with the south side removed - and the rebuilding of the "Archliffe Fort Inn" commenced. The roadway is now being widened by the Corporation. There is at present no scheme put forward for using the vacant land. It was stated that it would be impossible to build on it, but the "Archliffe Fort Inn" is being rebuilt on the same level as the old houses.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 17 July, 1925. Price 1d.


New Archliffe Fort 1925

This street, which has been widened and tar macadamised, has just been re-opened. The new "Archliffe Fort Inn," at the corner of Limekiln Street and the Spur, is on the right of the photograph.



In 1924, Leney proposed the transfer of this licence to a new pub he intended building in Limekiln Street. The plans for that and the licence transfer were authorised in June 1925 when the new building was nearing completion.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 1st November, 1935.

Limekiln Street flats and Archliffe Fort Inn 1935

New flats at Limekiln Street showing the "Archliffe Fort Inn" extreme right. (Click here for further information on area.)


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 1st November, 1935.

Bulwark Street


A second widening scheme of importance in Dover has now begun. Following on the completion of the Castle Street improvements, which cost about 6,000, work began one week on the Archcliffe Road scheme, which is to cost about 11,000. The picture shows houses in Bulwark Street which are now being demolished. The improvements is to be continued some distance up, and on the left an open space overlooking the sea is proposed.


Archcliffe Fort

Above photo, 1945, kindly supplied by Paul Wells. Robert Hearn says:- "The picture would have been taken in 1945 and is of my mother and her niece, we had been shelled out at the "Mitre Inn" Stargate Street. In September 1944 and were living in a flat further up Snargate Streett. My parents used to open the pub during the normal opening hours and we would then walk back to the flat. The "Archcliffe" was finally repaired later in 1945.

Archliffe Fort and Limekiln Street 1978

Above photo, 1975, showing the "Archliffe Fort" and Limekiln Street. Kindly submitted by Lisa Hudson.

For photo of Limekiln Street click here.

Archlife Fort and new P & O offices

The new Archliffe Fort showing the rear of the pub with the newly built P & O offices in the background. Circa 1980.

Archliffe Fort Inn date unknown

Above shows the new Archliffe Fort Inn. Notice it is now spelt with an "E". Date unknown.

Below a photograph taken by Barry Smith, circa 1980.

Archliffe ort Inn crca 1980
Archliffe Fort 1986

Above photo, 1986. Kindly supplied by Michael Lock.

Archcliffe Fort Inn 1986

Above photo circa 1986, kindly sent by Martin Welch. Also showing the former "Lord Warden." (White building.)


1989 saw this outlet of Whitbread-Fremlin closed and boarded up. An extension of the motorway to the Western docks area called for its removal.



CARTER James to Jan/1873 Dover Express

PARFITT Charles William Jan/1873-75 Dover ExpressPost Office Directory 1874

Last pub licensee had ANNETT William Enos 1876 Next pub licensee had

EVANS Edward 1876

HANNING 1878 Next pub licensee had

EVANS Mrs Ann 1882 ?

EVANS B 1882 ?

Last pub licensee had HARRIS Henry Weller 1881-91+ (age 44 in 1891Census) Post Office Directory 1882Post Office Directory 1891

BUCKINGHAM Frederick 1895-1901+ Next pub licensee had Pikes 1895Kelly's Directory 1899Post Office Directory 1903

DRAYCOTT Albert William 1901-Dec/02 (age 35 in 1901Census) Dover ExpressPost Office Directory 1903Kelly's 1903

MONCK/MONK William James Dec/1902-07 (age 54 in 1911Census) Dover Express

BURVILL Frederick 1907-10 end Pikes 1909

CLARK Harry 1910-Dec/13 Next pub licensee had Post Office Directory 1913Kelly's 1913Dover Express

MARBROOK Herbert A Dec/1913-Aug/25 Post Office Directory 1918Post Office Directory 1922Pikes 1923Pikes 1924Dover Express (Transport driver of Paddington)

MILES John Arthur Aug/1925-42 end Dover ExpressPost Office Directory 1930Pikes 1932-33Post Office Directory 1938Pikes 1938-39

FULLAGER Arthur Edward (secretary Messrs. Fremlins Ltd.) 19 Jun 1942+

Last pub licensee had HEARN Mrs Florence Mary Barbara 1945-56+ Pikes 48-49Kelly's Directory 1950Kelly's Directory 1953Kelly's Directory 1956

SALMON Arthur T 1963-82 end Library archives 1974 Fremlins


The census of 1911 showns James William Monk as publican, widower. Violet Francis Monk 23 years, daughter, assisting the business and Rose Hubbard 23 years, domestic servant. Although other information shows Frederick Burville and Harry Clark to have been licensee between this year and 2007 when I assumed he stopped as publican.


Post Office Directory 1874From the Post Office Directory 1874

Post Office Directory 1882From the Post Office Directory 1882

Post Office Directory 1891From the Post Office Directory 1891

Pikes 1895From Pikes Dover Blue Book 1895

Kelly's Directory 1899From the Kelly's Directory 1899

Post Office Directory 1903From the Post Office Directory 1901

Post Office Directory 1903From the Post Office Directory 1903

Kelly's 1903From the Kelly's Directory 1903

Pikes 1909From Pikes Dover Blue Book 1909

Kelly's 1913From the Kelly's Directory 1913

Post Office Directory 1913From the Post Office Directory 1913

Post Office Directory 1918From the Post Office Directory 1918

Post Office Directory 1922From the Post Office Directory 1922

Pikes 1923From Pikes Dover Blue Book 1923

Pikes 1924From Pikes Dover Blue Book 1924

Post Office Directory 1930From the Post Office Directory 1930

Pikes 1932-33From Pikes Dover Blue Book 1932-33

Pikes 1938-39From Pikes Dover Blue Book 1938-39

Post Office Directory 1938From the Post Office Directory 1938

Pikes 48-49From Pikes Dover Blue Book 1948-49

Kelly's Directory 1950From the Kelly's Directory 1950

Kelly's Directory 1953From the Kelly's Directory 1953

Kelly's Directory 1956From the Kelly's Directory 1956

Library archives 1974Library archives 1974

Dover ExpressFrom the Dover Express


If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-