DOVER KENT ARCHIVES

Page Updated:- Monday, 05 October, 2020.

PUB LIST PUBLIC HOUSES Barry Smith and Paul Skelton

Earliest 1792-

Three Herrings

Latest 1839+

Fisherman's Row

Dover

 

Ann Johnson in 1792 but not seen again after 1839.

 

From the Kentish Weekly Post or Canterbury Journal 07 September 1819.

Valuable Brewery free public houses and other Estates to be sold by auction by Mrs White without reserve.

Lot 34. A Messuage called the "Three Herrings," with the appurtenances situate at or near Fisherman's row, in the parish of St. Mary in the Town and Port of Dover aforesaid, and now in the occupation of John Miller.

N B. This lot is held by lease from the Honourable Warden and Assistants of Dover Harbour, for 61 years, from the 6th April 1813, at 2, 18s. 6d. per annum.

 

From the Kentish Gazette, 3 July 1838.

Singular Death.

On Sunday morning John Miller, boatman, of Dover, formerly landlord of the "Three Herrings," who had been in the habit for years of drinking hard, came home in a state of intoxication, and upon his wife scolding him, he made an attempt to strike her, which she avoiding, he fell violently into a potato bin, where he lay struggling with his face downwards, whilst his wife endeavoured to extricate him; but not being able to do so, she ran for a neighbour to assist her, and when she returned Miller was dead.

 

LICENSEE LIST

JOHNSON Ann 1792-93 Dover and Deal Directory and Guide 1792

CARLTON 1805

MILLER John 1819+

BARNES John 1823 Next pub licensee had Pigot's Directory 1823

HARRISON George 1826-28+ Pigot's Directory 1828-29

 

Dover and Deal Directory and Guide 1792Dover and Deal Directory and Guide 1792

Pigot's Directory 1823From the Pigot's Directory 1823

Pigot's Directory 1828-29From the Pigot's Directory 1828-9

 

If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-

TOP Valid CSS Valid XTHML