Sort file:- Canterbury, December, 2022.

Page Updated:- Saturday, 10 December, 2022.

PUB LIST PUBLIC HOUSES Paul Skelton & Rory Kehoe

Earliest 1801-

Royal Exchange

Latest 1913+

43 (22 in 1861Census) Stour Street

St. Mildred's


Royal Exchange 1909

Above photo, 1910, kindly send and identified by Rory Kehoe.

Former Royal Exchange

Above image from Google, March 2009, showing what I believe to be the former "Royal Exchange."

The B&W building is, today, numbered 42a and Willow Cafe 42.

42a is called Exchange House. The question is, was the "Royal Exchange" a small corner pub at 42, or a larger inn situated next door at 43. Tina M has 42 as Swain's Bakery and 43 (previously 10, Stour Street) as the "Royal Exchange." Good enough for me, so the B&W building it is!

Royal Exchange 2017

Above photo, August 2017, kindly taken and sent by Rory Kehoe.

Royal Exchange 2017

Above photo, August 2017, kindly taken and sent by Rory Kehoe.

Royal Exchange 2017

Above photo, August 2017, kindly taken and sent by Rory Kehoe.


Traced from between 1801 and 1913 to date, and listed as number 43 Stour Street, the building shown above is actually listed as number 42, but I believe this to have been the "Royal Exchange" during those years. It was situated opposite Hospital lane.


Kentish Gazette 18 September 1801.

Yesterday was married, Quarter-Master Jennings, of the 1st Royal Dragoons, to Mrs. Welby, landlady of the "Royal Exchange" public house, in St Mildred's.


From the Kentish Gazette, 27 March 1838.


On Friday evening last, an inquest was held at the "Royal Exchange," in this city, before Mr. T. T. DeLasaux, Coroner, on the body of a child about seven years of ace, named Jane Cullen, who was so dreadfully burnt by her clothes taking fire on the 5th of January last, as to cause her death on Monday the 19th instant. It appeared by the evidence of Mrs. Hammond, that the child had been left by her mother a considerable time sitting by the fire, where it was thought she fell asleep and her clothes took fire; the witness, alarmed by the screams of the child, ran into the house, and succeeded in extinguishing the flames by means of her apron.

Mr. Andrews, surgeon, stated that he attended the child at the City Workhouse nearly a month, by which time she was much better, and he did not in consequence see her again for a week, when he found her removed to her mother’s house in a state of great exhaustion and debility; he again gave his attendance, and continued to do so till she died.

It appeared from the testimony of other witnesses that the mother was in a public-house in a state of inebriety when the accident occurred.

The Jury returned a verdict of "Accidental Death by burning," and desired that the mother might be called in and reproved and admonished by the Coroner. She was accordingly sent for, — and on her arrival the Coroner addressed her to the following effect:—

"Mrs. Cullen, — The Gentlemen of the Jury, in consequence of what has fallen from the witnesses who have been examined touching the dentil of your child, have felt it right that some remarks should be made upon your conduct. They, as well as myself, regret to say that from your want of care and attention to your maternal duties, the accident, respecting which we are here to inquire to-day, has arisen. It is painful to find so much depravity in human nature, as the case of a mother so far forgetting the duties she owes her offspring as to spend her hours in an alehouse which ought to be devoted to the care and wants of her children. I trust the melancholy result of the present case may operate as a caution as to your future conduct; otherwise, it is to be feared that a portion of the remainder of your life may be spent within the walls of a prison, separated from those whom it is your bounden, and ought to be pleasing duty, to provide for and protect.”


Maidstone Journal and Kentish Advertiser, Tuesday 12 June 1849.


Important sale of the extensive Brewery of Messr's Flint, including 30 old established Inns and Public Houses, and other valuable property.

Mr. V. J., has received instructions to sell by auction, at the "Fountain Hotel," Canterbury, on Tuesday and Wednesday, 26th and 27th of June, at 12 o'clock each day, (in consequence of the death of the senior acting partner and the retirement of the surviving partners,) the valuable property known as Messrs. Flint's Brewery, in Stour Street, Canterbury, and the Inns, Public Houses, and other valuable property connected with theirwith. The first day sale on Tuesday, 26th June, 1849, will comprise the following property in and near the city.

Public houses.

Lot 1. The "City of Canterbury," situate on the road to Whitstable. Freehold.

Lot 2. The "George and Dragon," Westgate without, leasehold under Hind's charity for 17 years unexpired.

Lot 3. The "Three Compasses," Westgate within. Freehold.

Lot 4. The "Bell Inn" and Coach Office, in the High Street. Freehold.

Lot 5. The "Prince of Wales," St. Alphege Lane,. Freehold.

Lot 6. The "Weavers Arms," Broad Street, freehold and partly leasehold.

Lot 7. The "White Swan," Northgate. Leasehold under St. John's Hospital for a short term, at a ground rent.

Lot 8. The "Kings Head," Northgate. Freehold.

Lot 9. The "Swan Inn," at Sturry (close to the railway station). Freehold.

Lot 10. The "Ship," St. Martins Hill, freehold.

Lots 12. The "Star Commercial Inn and Tap," St George's, close to the Cattle market and Dane John. Freehold.

Lot 13. The "Blue Anchor," Old Dover Lane, near the Cattle market. Freehold.

Lot 14. The "Fleece Inn," High Street, opposite to the Corn market. Freehold.

Lot 28. Three neat Cottages opposite the Brewery, with large gardens extending to the river.

Lot 29. The "Two Brewers" public house and Spirit Warehouse, adjoining the last lot.

Lot 31. The "Black Dog" public house, Castle Street.

Lot 34. The "Duke's Head" Public House, Wincheap Street.

Lot 35. The "King's Head," Public House, Wincheap Street.

Lot 37. The "Royal Exchange," public house, Stour Street.

Lot 38. The "Kentish Arms," public house, and 5 cottages in Jewry Lane. Leasehold for a short term at a low rent.

Lot 40. The "Duke William," at Ickham, abiout five miles from Canterbury. Freehold.

Lot 41. The "Royal Oak Inn," at Deal. Freehold except a small portion.

Lot 42. The "King's Arms," Beach Street, Deal, and Cottage in the rear. leasehold for a short term, at a Ground rent.

Lot 43. The "Fleur De Lis," near the Railway Station, Dover. Leasehold for a term of 6 years, at a Ground rent of 3.

Lot 44. The "Two Brewers," Limekiln Street, Dover. leasehold for a term of 46 years, at a ground rent of 3.

Lot 45. The "Fountain Inn, adjoining the Market place at Dover. Freehold.

Lot 46. The "Lord Nelson," Radnor Street, near the harbour, Folkestone. Freehold.

Lot 47. The "Bricklayers Arms," Fancy Street, Folkestone. Freehold.

Lot 48. The "Castle Inn," at Sandgate. Leasehold for a short term, at a ground rent of 7s. 6d.

Lot 49. The "King's Head Hotel and Tap," at Margate. Freehold.

Lot 50. The "New Inn," at Elham, on the road to Hythe. Freehold.

Lot 51. The "King's Arms," at Milton near Sittingbourne. Freehold.

The Public Houses are for the most part in the occupation of unexceptionable tenants, and the majority of them are doing trades, both in beer and spirits, considerably above the average run of Country houses. (None of them have been beer shops; they're all old Licence Houses, with connections of long standing, thereby affording ample security for the permanency of the trade). The Premises generally are in a superior state of repair.

Particulars and Plans, price 1s. each, may be had of Messr's. Furleys and Mercer, Solicitors, Canterbury; at the "Fountain Hotel;" and of Mr. V. J. Collins, 3, Moorgate Street, London.


From the Kent and Sussex Courier, 27 April, 1901.


The City Coroner (Dr. T. S. Johnson) held an Inquest at the "Royal Exchange," Stour Street, Canterbury, on Friday evening, respecting the death of a married woman named Mary Ann Harris, aged 28.

Herbert Sydney Harris stated that the deceased was his wife. On Saturday, October 6th, 1900, his wife was taken from the Fair ground to the hospital on an ambulance, having had an accident. She was unconscious. On the Sunday witness saw the house surgeon, who said that the deceased had had a reaction which was a good sign. She was in hospital for about three weeks, and was better for the treatment.

In answer to the Coroner witness said he heard that the deceased fell off a merry-go-round, and that her hair pins went into her head, but he believed this was simply a rumour.

Witness, continuing, said the deceased complained of her head aching once before her confinement. He engaged Mr. Frank Wacher who gave her some medicine. He attended the deceased at hear confinement. The child, which was a female, was living. The deceased died on Wednesday about twenty minutes past three o'clock.

In answer to a juryman witness said the deceased could never remember how the accident happened.

The Coroner:— The deceased was unconscious.

Ellene Alberta Paine, wife of William Paine, a stone mason, living at 64, Stone Street, stated that she had known the deceased as a respectable woman for about ten years. She asked witness as a friend to attend her in her confinement. Witness said she would and she did so. On Wednesday the 10th deceased was taken poorly, and died on Wednesday the 17th. Mr. Frank Wacher attended the deceased after her confinement. On the previous Monday witness did not think the deceased would get better.

In reply to the Coroner witness said she thought Mr. Wacher said that he did not think the deceased would get better on the Monday. He said there was just a hope.

Witness, continuing, said when the doctor last saw the deceased she was unconscious.

In answer to a question witness said the deceased did not have any hair pins run into her head at the time of the accident. The deceased always suffered from head aches.

The Coroner:— Before the accident and after?

Witness:— Yes.

In reply to the Coroner witness said she did not know anything about the accident beyond hearsay.

Mrs. Elizabeth Willie, wife of Charles Willie, a reservist in the 11th Hussars, and living at Fortune's Passage, stated that on Saturday, 6th October, she was in the Canterbury Fair Field. She saw the deceased there. The deceased was on the horses of the merry-go-round. It was going round very fast. Witness saw the deceased fall off on to the ground. Witness palled the hair pins out of the deceased's head. On getting them out there was a lot of bleeding. Witness got one of the Fair men to get some water with which she bathed the deceased’s head. Mr. Prentice and the police were sent for. The deceased was very sick and foamed at the mouth.

In answer to the Coroner witness said the merry-go-round was going very fast.

In reply to a Juryman witness said the deceased fell off one of the horses.

Sergeant Hollands, of the Canterbury police force, stated that on the 6th October he heard of the accident and proceeded to the field in Rhodaus Town. He saw the deceased lying on her back. Mr. Prentice arrived and said there was a slight concussion of the brain. The doctor ordered the deceased’s removal to the hospital where she was takan on an ambulance. The deceased was unconscious. No complaint was made about the river of the merry-go-round to witness.

In answer to the Coroner witness said he saw a little bleeding about the deceased's head.

The Coroner said the doctor (Mr. Frank Wachar) who attended the deceased after her confinement had given a certificate of death. The primary cause was put down and crossed out, while the secondary cause—puerperal fever—was given as the cause of death. The primary cause was therefore not given. If certificates were given in this way how were the public to be satisfied as to the death of persons? The true cause of death was puerperal fever if the deceased had no accident. If the jury thought that the hair pins did not go into the deceased's head they must disbelieve the person who said she pulled them out. If the deceased died from the confinement that would be a natural death.

A juryman asked if it would not have been as well if the doctor had been present at the inquest.

The Coroner said they could adjourn the enquiry if they wished, but supposing they did, a doctor would not go behind his certificate. He suggested that the jury should return a verdict of death from puerperal fever accelerated by the accident.

The jury returned a verdict accordingly.



WELBY Mrs 1801+ (Married JENNINGS)

WELBY J 1824+ Pigot's Directory 1824

MATHER William 1828+ Pigot's Directory 1828-29

WRIGHT James 1832+ Pigot's Directory 1832-34

HILTON James "John" 1838-61+ (age 32 in 1861Census) Stapletons GuidePigot's Directory 1840Bagshaw's Directory 1847Melville's 1858

HOUSDEN W 1862+ Post Office Directory 1862

GAMMON George 1874+ Post Office Directory 1874

OWEN George 1881-82+ CensusHistoric Canterbury web sitePost Office Directory 1882

OWEN G 1888+ Greens Canterbury Directory 1868

SWANNELL Joseph 1889-91+ (age 42 in 1891Census) Historic Canterbury web site

FOREMAN G T 1913-10/Mar/19 Post Office Directory 1913

HILLS A W 10/Mar/1919+


Pigot's Directory 1824From the Pigot's Directory 1824

Pigot's Directory 1828-29From the Pigot's Directory 1828-29

Pigot's Directory 1832-34From the Pigot's Directory 1832-33-34

Stapletons GuideStapleton's Guide 1838

Pigot's Directory 1840From the Pigot's Directory 1840

Bagshaw's Directory 1847From Bagshaw Directory 1847

Melville's 1858From Melville's Directory 1858

Post Office Directory 1862From the Post Office Directory 1862

Post Office Directory 1874From the Post Office Directory 1874


Post Office Directory 1882From the Post Office Directory 1882

Greens Canterbury Directory 1868Greens Canterbury Directory 1888

Post Office Directory 1913From the Post Office Directory 1913

Historic Canterbury web siteHistoric Canterbury web site


If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-