Sort file:- Dover, July, 2020.

Page Updated:- Wednesday, 22 July, 2020.

PUB LIST PUBLIC HOUSES Barry Smith and Paul Skelton

Earliest 1827

(Name from)

Newcastle Arms

Latest 1853+

Limekiln Street Pigot's Directory 1840Bagshaw's Directory 1847

Limekiln Lane Pigot's Directory 1832-34



Present in 1827? (1828-29Pigot's Directory 1828-29) and known previously as the "Black Pig".

For photo of Limekiln Street click here.


From the Dover Telegraph and Cinque Ports General Advertiser, Saturday 11 July, 1835. Price 7d.


J. Peake, having erected a powerful Machine  for the Manufacture of Soda Water & Lemonade, respectfully informs the Public of Dover and its Neighbourhood, that he is prepared to supply them with those Articles, wholesale, on the most reasonable Terms.

The Apparatus being driven by a Steam Power, possesses a great advantage, in compressing the Fixed Air, at a very high Pressure.

FACTORY, next to the "Newcastle Inn," Limekiln Street.


From the Dover Telegraph and Cinque Ports General Advertiser, Saturday, 14 June, 1845. Price 5d.


W. King and W. B. Tadhunter, “Newcastle Arms Livery Stables,” Limekiln Street, (Late of the “Ship Hotel Yard”) Respectfully inform their Friends, and the Nobility, Gentry, Inhabitants, and Visitors of Dover, that they have commenced business in the above line, and trust by strict attention, combined with perseverance and moderate charges, to meet with a share of patronage, which it will ever be their study to merit.

Superior BRITZKA, CLARENCE FLY, and CLOSE and OPEN CARRIAGES of every description, by the day or hour, to any part, on the shortest notice.



Its position can be identified by the account of a fire which destroyed the oil mills in August 1853. It stated that the only way the pub could be saved was by continuous hosing throughout.


From the Dover Telegraph and Cinque Ports General Advertiser, Saturday 20 August, 1853. Price 7d.


Immense Destruction of Property and No Loss of Life.

Happily since 1808 when the warehouse &c. of Mr. Fector termed the “Old Building” then occupying a portion of the site of the harbour enlargement of 1844, fell a sacrifice to the flames, Dover has not been visited by a conflagration of so extensive and serious character as that of Sunday night last, involving in itself the destruction of property to an immense amount, and endangering the safety of a densely populated district in its immediate vicinity.

Whether we regard the vastness of the operations conducted on the premises constituting the scene of a late catastrophe, the skill and science brought to bear in the developments of the projects embraced in the business of the establishment, or the value and power of the machinery employed in the multifarious works carried on in Dover Oil Mills of Mr. Joseph Walker had acquired such a reputation, and were generally known to the commercial and mercantile world, that the intelligence of the fire will create a feeling of regret more widely spread than any locality might conceive; and especially when it became known that models and patterns of machinery to the value of several thousands of pounds were totally consumed.

In presenting to our readers the few particulars we have been enabled to glean of this sad affair, we would say, that in all our enquiries we have sought to arrive at the truth; but as the details were drawn from various sources, and the information given by several individuals, some of the statements may have a tinge of error, either from our imperfectly grouping what we elicited, or a misconception of what was so readily and courteously stated to us. Probably a wrong colouring may in some instances be traceable to another cause, which we feel to be due to our profession to acknowledge, viz. the ingress refused to us by a member of the Police Force, whose ignorance of the usages of society forced us to some extent to depend on others for what we might otherwise have seen ourselves. However, the courtesy we experienced from Mr. Coram, and the sergeants and others of the force, induce a disposition to forget the past, in the hope that the future will produce in the quarter we have alluded to more wisdom and discretion; while we proceed to notice, in the first place.


The public eye was not familiar with the interior of this immense establishment; and even an ordinary intimacy with the intricacies of the Dover Patent Oil Mills and Refinery - the lofts, the stores, the shops, the vaults, the smithies, the kilns &c. &c. would not suffice for such description of the series of buildings now razed to the ground, as could convey an accurate idea of the spot to those not conversant with the locality. The area occupied was about three-quarters of an acre; and every inch had its useful application, while many places the surface space was quadrupled by floor rising on floor to a towering height. On the north-west, the cliff forming part of the Western Heights constituted a boundary of the Mills, and was also subservient to a multiplicity of purposes, excavations within it being made, to admit of furnaces, boilers, tanks &c. - the loftiest chimney in Dover, emerging from a slope in the cliff, and reaching nearly to its summit, indicating the vastness of the operations going on at its base. On the north-east, a slope of cliff formed almost the entire boundary, and was within half a dozen paces of the site of the immense fall of chalk that took place at Dover in January of the present year. On the south-east were sundry premises of the Messrs Rutley and Co., used for stores, malt-houses &c.; also the "Newcastle Arms" public house and two or three small tenements. Sundry cottages, the "Three Compasses," and a shed or builders' yard with a malt-house &c. made up the south-western boundary. Admission to the premises was gained by two entrances opening to Limekiln Street - the one on the town side appearing to be connected with offices &c.; and the other, or the pier side, having attached to it the residence of Mr. Robson, the manager and engineer of the Works. Once in the interior, a series of buildings rose before the spectator, and of the principal of these, with their contents, as seen before the fire broke out, we will attempt an outline.

The old steam flour mill. - This portion of the establishment was well known to our townsfolk generally, and occupied the southern extremity, and joined the malting premises of Messrs Coleman, Jeken and Co. At the time of the fire, it contained 100 tons of cotton seed from Egypt, which was totally consumed, and the building entirely gutted. Stables, offices, a weight bridge - a smith's shop and a yard to which cake &c. were weighed, adjoined, and the whole were connected and covered by an extensive glass roof. The same roof is said to have formed a covered communication with --

The oil mill. - The basement of this department, termed the pressing rooms, contained, in addition to some seed pans, several hydraulic presses of immense power, weighing 50 tons each, and capable of the astonishing pressure of 1,600 tons; the purpose to which presses were applied need not be stated. By contraction or expansion, consequent on the amazing body of heat to which they were exposed during the conflagration, these presses were split and rendered useless. The first floor of the Oil Mill formed a capacious seed store, and on Sunday morning contained a cargo of linseed; its capabilities admitted of four cargoes being discharged into it. Two cargoes of Egyptian cotton seed, in a rough state, and machinery suitable for the various processes through which the seed passed, occupied the second floor; and a cargo of prepared cotton seed was stored in the third floor; a portion of the walls only of this building now remain, - the seed still forms a considerable body of fire, and emits as we write (Thursday) a tolerable volume of smoke.

The Engine Room, and especially since the fire, proved a point of attraction to visitors. It contained a pair of 25 horse power engines, and at a distance of 80 feet in a vault of the cliff, a second pair of similar power, connected by the same shaft with machines between for grinding seed, also so connected. The same room contained the pumping engine connected with the West Dover Waterworks, capable of supplying 1,000 gallons per minute. The gear of this engine was destroyed, but, if we understood it right, the engine itself was but slightly injured. In no part of the premises was the force of the flames more strongly depicted than here. Six-inch wrought iron shafting was bent like wire; the wheels were melted, and ran like lead; and granite stones, 7 tons weight, ran like slaked lime. Continuing an eastern course, an open yard used for the deposit of various materials, old iron &c., led to the old cement works, kilns &c. In the cliff at this point, a quantity of coal, several hundred tons, was stored, and its ignition led to the fall of cliff narrated below. An incident might be related here. The intensity of heat from the engine room found a channel for a current of flame in a cave at this point; after taking a circuitous route of some extent, it reached the furnaces of the boilers in the cliff, and actually consumed the fuel already laid for lighting on Monday morning.

Another building, the name of which we have not been able to ascertain, nor its present position, was appropriated as follows - the basement constituted the workshop of the engineers, and contained lathes and other apparatus for engineering purposes, all driven by steam. The floor above was composed of the mill-wright and patent shops, and contained models, patterns, &c. of great value, the amount of which can hardly be estimated; and all were totally destroyed. The second floor contained a quantity of cotton seed in a prepared state, imported from America; and the third floor had also a quantity of American cotton seed, but in a rough state. The only building, we think, of any import now undescribed is -----

The Refinery, at the northern point of the premises and from which the fire was first seen to issue. This building was of comparatively recent construction, and was used, as its name implies, for the refining of oils. It was fitted up with machinery of the most complicated and costly character, with all the necessary appliances, vast tanks, vats, &c. A steam engine of 10-horse power was also within the building, which contained but one floor (constructed of stone); although a considerable elevation there was a kind of platform containing vessels for oil. In this department, every precaution experience could suggest for averting the calamity that has befallen it, was put into practice, and nothing left undone to admit of the probability that fire might be induced, or spontaneous combustion arise. No great quantity of oil, we believe, was within the Refinery at the time of the conflagration - probably not above 50 tons; and the ignition of this at a late stage, from the falling in of the roof, gave rise to the reports of the explosion of tanks, &c. - the falling materials having caused an overflow of the pits on the store floor among the burning mass surrounding. Below the Refinery, and running a distance of 200 feet into the cliffs, were several extensive tanks or reservoirs, each capable of holding 800 tons of oil, and constructed of brick and with cement. Only two of them contained oil at the time of the fire - one having about 400 tons, and the other 200. It is said that the only external communication with these tanks was by two-inch pipe, and their contents are believed to be uninjured.


Here we are at fault, and so are wiser heads than ours. The mystery that at first enveloped the cause of the catastrophe remains a mystery still. Conjecture, however, has not been idle; and reports and opinions have been circulated to an almost indefinite extent. Incendiary has more than once been named, but not the slightest ground exists for a conclusion that the premises were wilfully set on fire, or for many other equally unfounded surmises. Spontaneous combustion of the seeds in store appears the only rational solution of the query. How did the fire originate? and this even puzzles us, if the fire really broke out in the Refinery, and why? Because that was only the repository of oil already extracted, which had then to undergo the various chemicals process required producing refined oil. No seed would be deposited there; again, those daily on the spot, and having supervision of the concern, confirm the rumour prevailing, that no fire had been lighted in the Refinery for the last three months - in short, since April. We believe the fire originated elsewhere, in all probably in what was called the Oil Mill - the large storehouse, in which at the time were three cargoes of cotton seed, and one cargo of linseed. What communication existed between the Refinery and other buildings, so as to admit of the former appearing to be the site of the outbreak, we know not; and no circumstance has since transpired, no intelligence been communicated, tending to furnish the positive data for a conclusion not liable to be controverted. Of the vague rumour that such and such a one was on the spot an hour before the fire - of the foolish tale, that the establishment chemist was in his laboratory on Sunday afternoon conducting experiments - we will say nothing, satisfying ourselves with leaving the mystery as we found it, knowing full well that we cannot on this point enlighten the public. In our enquires, we have been careful to ascertain one particular - at what time on the Sabbath day any of the men were employed in the mills, inasmuch as numbers are reported to have seen smoke issuing from the place hours before the actual discovery of the fire, but took no notice of the matter, from a supposition that the furnaces were in operation as usual. We find that it was not the practice to "light up" on Sundays; that the furnaces or boilers were not lighted till 10 o'clock on Sunday night, ready for the coming in of the men at 12 o'clock to commence the week; therefore, that whatever was seen of smoke in the afternoon could have no connection with the business of the premises.


At one o'clock on Sunday afternoon, Mr. Robson, the engineer, &c., of the establishment, who resides, as already stated, on the premises, saw not the slightest indication of fire, and took such an ordinary survey as, in the absence of suspicion, would warrant his considering all were safe. At about twenty minutes to five, one of his children, who was probably amusing herself beneath the glass roof of the yard communicating with the Refinery, heard the falling of glass, and ran to tell her father that boys were throwing from the cliffs, and that some of the glass was broken. Mr. Robson at once hastened to the spot, when he saw smoke, &c., issuing from the Refinery, and without waiting for further investigation, he at once returned to give an alarm to the neighbourhood. No sooner had he opened the entrance gate of the establishment near to his house, and was on the point of proceeding, when he observed several people rushing towards him, eager to convey to him the intelligence he was about to impart to them. He at once despatched some of them to the fire stations of the borough - the intelligence soon spread through the town - the Admiralty bell alarmed the Pier district - the Market bell threw the locality surrounding it into consternation - and the bells of the churches of St. Mary and St. James added to the general rousing of the town to the danger that menaced the Pier; and hundreds were in a few moments hastening to the spot. Three persons from different quarters arrived at the same moment to inform Mr. Parks, Captain of No. 1 Corporation Engine, of the fire. In less than five minutes, fully manned, No. 1 was half-way from the station to the fire. No. 2 was ready to follow, but not sufficiently manned to facilitate progress. At this juncture, George H. Loud, Esq., returning to Dover from "Reach" in a dog cart, desired Captain Wood to attach the engine to his vehicle, and the laudable conduct of that gentlemen placed No. 2 at the scene of operation almost at the same moment of No. 1. We believe the railway engine No. 6, from the Dover terminus of the South Eastern Railway, was first on the spot; that the second arrival lay between No. 1 Corporation Engine and that from the Ordnance. Other engines followed in rapid succession, and others again at more distant intervals until eleven o'clock at night, when no less than eleven were engaged in lessening any danger that might be apprehended from any fresh outbreak of the apparently confined fire.

At about half past five, when the No. 1 Corporation Engine had just entered the mill premises, the fire was entirely confined to the Refinery, and hopes were entertained that its further extension would be effectually checked. Unfortunately, a considerable delay occurred in rendering available the water resources of the establishment; and this circumstance may, for ought we know, have been the primary cause of much of the sad result that followed ere the conflagration had spent its fury. We are informed by an individual who was early present, that nearly half an hour elapsed before the engines were efficiently at work. The books, papers, &c., were early removed from the offices, to the house of Mr. Reeves, of the customs.

Up to six o'clock no particular changes was observable; the alarm given had studded the surrounding cliffs with lines of spectators, and congregated masses on every point of the quays, &c., from which a view of the building could be obtained; and water was being plentifully directed from the engines to the Refinery, from the caves of the roof of which the flames were curling. Shortly after six, the fire issued from the windows of this department with great fury, the upper part of the Oil Mill adjoining was observed to smoke, and in a few moments that range of store-houses was emitting volumes of fire that foreboded no hope of saving much within the factory. At seven o'clock, when every energy had been in vain directed to arrest the progress of the flames, the scene presented by the conflagration, which was now lying waste the whole of the establishment, was one of appalling grandeur. Our continental neighbours saw it, and kind messages of inquiry were transmitted. Our townsmen looked on and wondered where its fury would be stayed. It was such a spectacle that none would wish to see its like again. At this crisis, when the position of the tenements and buildings near was becoming critical, and their safety a matter of doubt, the work of demolition was advised, lest the entire district should fall a prey to the devouring element. The building exciting the most concern, and to which the Mayor's attention was directed by Mr. Coram, was the Dover British School. A builder's tarred shed, filled with deals and scaffolding poles, occupied (with a small passage) the space intervening between the schools and the buildings on fire. With promptitude the shed was removed, and the school was thus saved. Other premises that appeared likely to facilitate the extension of the fire were also pulled down. The "Three Compasses Inn" occupying a portion of the mill ground, but without the walls was entirely gutted. Below this house, a store was formed, and doubtless the ignition of the store led to the destruction of the "Three Compasses." In pulling down malt-houses, cottages, stables, &c., much confusion ensued; and in the hurried removal of the furniture, and other effects, many articles missed, and, were in some instances, pilfered. To say that in every case the pulling down was judicious, would be admitting too much. In certain quarters, it was widely suppressed; but as the British School, and much valuable property, were preserved by removals of what might have communicated fire, and as well were actuated in their endeavours by the noblest motives, credit and not blame, must be awarded, the rapidity with which the flames enveloped building after building affording but little time deliberating on the advisability of preserving this or that structure. At eight o'clock less apprehension existed for the safety of the surrounding district, - the fire, though raging with intense heat, becoming more and more confined within the fragments of walls that towered above the awful wreck around. The engines previously playing within the premises, had before seven o'clock been driven within the gates by the advancing flames, and their supply of water in that direction cut off. Fortunately, the harbour authorities had an eye to what might be needed, and closed the gates of the inner basin against the retiring tide. This afforded an inexhaustible fountain, and one engine was employed to receive water for the service of as second, and thus a continuous supply was available without other difficulty than that of the most unremitting and laborious extension. From eight to ten o'clock, every moment tended to allay the fears aroused by the threatening appearances at seven o'clock; and the efforts of every succeeding hour throughout the night, till the break of day on Monday morning were crowned, with the successful confining of the fire to the vast area it had devastated at an early hour on Sunday evening. A judicious pulling down of walls, chimney, &c., contributed greatly to this issue, as much of the large body of the fire within the ruins was by this means buried. It is true, that an apparent outbreak late on Monday morning, apparently as if the fire had come in contact with a large quantity of inflammable materials afresh excited alarm for a short time, but the danger had soon passed, and with it the fears to which it had given rise. Throughout Monday, an engine was kept in action at intervals to extinguish the smouldering masses, and admit a passage to the vaults and machinery in the cliff. Awaiting the result of a survey by several Insurance Companies with which policies had been effected on behalf of the property, nothing has been done to remove the burning heaps that still emit continuous clouds of smoke, and a stench at times almost insufferable.


The value of the property destroyed by the fire on Sunday night has been variously estimated, and, as no unusual circumstances in similar cases, some have speculated most extravagantly in this particular. We have good authority for stating that the loss is estimated at less than £50,000. £45,000 was the first sum first named, but subsequent enquiry has rendered an addition necessary. This estimate is exclusively confined to the Patent Oil Mills and Refinery; what expenditure the repairing of the tenements damaged, and the reconstruction of the premises pulled down, would involve, we have not ascertained. Through the favour of Mr. Superintendent Coram, of the Police Force, we have been presented with a copy of his report touching this matter, of which we give a summery as follows -----

On Finnis Hill - the "Three Compasses," the property of Mr. Joseph Walker and occupied by Mrs Chater, House burnt down and furniture partially removed. Insured but amount unknown. Nine houses, also the property of Mr. Walker, and respectively occupied by Cooper, Cocker, Clements, Marks, Southby, Harris, Freeman, Bray and Boyce. Furniture removed; windows broken; insured, amount unknown. A pumping house and water-works, the property of Messrs Jeken and Co. Unroofed, and other damage - not insured. A house occupied by Punnett, the property of Mr. Wrightson. Partially pulled down, and otherwise much damaged. Insured in the Alliance. - Three cottages, occupied by Wilson, Syms, and Smith, the property of Mr. Hukesen. Furniture removed, and doors and windows broken. Not insured. - A house, occupied by Bridgland, the property of Mrs. Cramp. Great damage sustained - front pulled down - furniture removed. Insurance not ascertained. - Three houses, the property of Mr. Patterson; two occupied, and one empty. Furniture removed, windows and doors broken, and premises much damaged by water played on them. Insured - Kent. - A shed, the property of Mr. Eastes. Partially burnt, and then pulled down. Insurance unknown. - Two cottages occupied by Bale and Bourne, the property of Mr. Bale. The furniture removed from the first, but not the second. The doors and windows of both slightly damaged. Insured - Norwich Union.

In Limekiln Street. - A shed and stable, the property of Messrs. Coleman and Co., occupied by Mr. Osborne. Insurance unknown. The former burnt down, and the latter pulled down. A forge belonging to the same firm, burnt down. Insurance unknown - A malt house, in the occupancy of the proprietors, Messrs C. & Co., pulled down. Insurance unknown. - Three houses, the property of Mr. Thompson, and occupied by Thompson, Stokes and Goodiff. The furniture removed from the two last, and partially from the first. Insured - Alliance. Part of the last house pulled down, and the windows broken in the two first. - Three cottages, occupied by Tadhunter, Pledge, and Burgess. Furniture removed, and houses partly pulled down. Insured - Alliance. A limekiln, owned by Mr. Stiff. Roof partially destroyed by fire. Insurance unknown. - A smith's shop, occupied by the proprietor, Mr. Gutsole, partially unroofed, and other damage. Insurance unknown. - Smith's shops, occupied by the proprietor, Mr. Rouse. Pulled down. Insurance not known. -The roof of the wine vaults of Messrs Jeken and Co. was slightly injured by water. Every precaution was taken for their preservation; and at the suggestion of Mr. W. R. Mowell, about 40 tons of chalk were placed so as to close the entrance to the vaults. This precautionary measure was not tested, from the successful confining of the fire, or we have no doubt that under more favourable circumstances it would have proved sufficient to avert the threatening evil, and have saved the valuable stock it contained. - The "Newcastle Arms" was slightly injured by the playing of the engines.


We have already given the best information that time would admit of obtaining, in reference to the insuring or non-insuring of the several premises sustaining damage directly or indirectly by the above sad calamity. It now remains the state of what extent Mr. Walker was insured. Five Offices are named - the Norwich Union, Alliance, Globe, West of England and Atlas. Without enumerating the respective sums in each, it might be stated that insurance in the first was effected to nearly £10,000 and that the total amount in the several offices was £28,000.


Probably at no period has ever such an assemblage of fire engines been seen in actual operation at Dover, as was witnessed in the vicinity of the fire on Sunday night last, and we are satisfied that nowhere has any more energy, from first to last been displayed in working them than on that occasion. Various circumstances will influence the arrival of an engine at the scene of danger, - such for instance as distance from the fire, time of receiving information of its outbreak, being inefficiently manned, &c., - and hence, although the greatest credit is generally awarded (and properly so) to the first arrival, the palm, considering the circumstances to which we have referred, might very fairly have been borne off by others later at the conflagration. With such a view of the case, and backed by the universally expressed opinion that nothing could exceed the admirable manner in which the whole of the engines were worked, we shall give priority to none, and prominence to all. One feature must not escape us - that the heads of the departments supplying engines accompanied them to the spot, stood by them during the continuance of danger, and only retired when the public safety and the preservation of property no longer required their valuable services. The engines present were -----

No's. 1 and 2, Dover Corporation - 2

London Fire Brigade (Southwark District) - 2

No's. 6 and 7 South Eastern Railway Company - 2

Dover Harbour Commissioners - 1

Admiralty Yard - 1

Ordnance, Storekeepers' Department -1

Western Heights Barracks - 1

Castle Barracks -1

Total - 11.


Admiralty yard. - The engine from H. M. P. Station was brought early to the scene of action, and took up a position within the walls till the spreading flames compelled a hasty retreat to a place of safety. Captain Herrick R.N., Superintendent of the station was present with his men, affording such assistance and advice as his experience dictated, and the exigencies of the occasion called forth. We need not say that the men from the naval yard nobly did their duty. and well merited the high compliments their exertions repeatedly elicited.

South Eastern Railway Company. - Intelligence of the fire in Limekiln Street reached Mr. Way, the Superintendent of the Dover Railway Station, somewhere about five o'clock. Not a moment was lost by this gentleman in summoning the resources of that establishment; and in 3 minutes the powerful engine, No. 6 equipped for service, was approaching the conflagration. We admire such displays of promptitude; they afford proofs of a ready and willing hand, and noble heart; and the men by whom the engine was manned evinced that they were actuated by a spirit kindred to that of their superintendent. How efficiently they fulfilled the arduous task they had undertaken, we have pleasure in recording; and render to them, in common with all whom so fearlessly and energetically took part in the suppression of the fire, our thanks for the services they rendered. The supply of lanterns finished by Mr. Way were of invaluable service, as they to a great extent prevented the hose crossing the streets from being trampled on, which might seriously have affected the operations of the engines. In consequence of a telegraph message forwarded to Folkestone by Mr. Way, No. 7 engine of the company was despatched from that station to Dover, and placed with others at the Old Dock, where it was enabled to assist materially in supplying engines near to the conflagration. We are not going to institute comparisons of this engine with that, or that with the other; but will allow ourselves to compliment the South Eastern Company on the superior character of the apparatus brought into play on Sunday night, and whisper a wish that Dover had the like. We hope to have the pleasure of someday publishing the mode in which Insurance Officers recognise such services as these gratuitously rendered by Mr. Way and his staff.

The Ordnance - The engine supplied from this department was stationed on the Custom-house Quay, and principally manned by Rifles, who, in whatever sphere of action they moved, throughout the whole night, exerted themselves to the utmost.

The Castle. - The Castle engine was present soon after the cries of alarm had been sounded, - first taking the position near the entrance to the Mills, and subsequently removing to Finnis's Hill. Without disparagement to any class then on the spot, we have only to say that it was manned by the military, and none who saw their efforts in the whole scene will dispute that it was most effectively worked.

Dover Harbour. - The engine of Harbour Commissioners must not be overlooked. Under the able superintendence of Mr. James Barter, the resident engine, it contributed materially to affording a constant supply of water from the inner basin, and was thus a most important auxiliary in preventing the extension of the fire.

The Western Heights. - The engine from the Heights was brought to the spot by the Artillery, and at a most fearfully rapid pace. It took up a position on Finnis's Hill, and assisted to check the progress of the flames in that direction.

The London Fire Brigade. - Mr. A. Page, superintendent of the safety of the Pier, after telegraphing to Marden for Mr. Walker, who at the time of the fire was absent from Dover, despatched a message to the Metropolis for aid from the Fire Brigade. The request was complied with and at half-past 10, Mr. Superintendent Braidwood, with two engines horsed, and ten of the Brigade, arrived in Limekiln Street from London in about two hours and a half. Though the fire at the time confined within the walls, and but little doubt existed that the progress of the flames was effectually checked, the powerful engines of the Brigade were brought into play; and we might say, that even the presence of Mr. Braidwood and his experienced body, had a tendency to lull any still existing fears. We observed a moment on the part of Mr. Braidwood, that may be dropped as a salutary hint. On entering the premises, after receiving from Mr. G. T. Parks a verbal outline of the various structures, he called to the Superintendent of Police, and, while remarking that the force appeared to want some refreshment, he promptly ordered the needful to procure what was required. It is a pity that a judicious imitation of such a course was not generally adopted. The experienced officer knew what exhaustion meant, and was satisfied that some recruiting of wasted strength was needed. At 2 o'clock on Monday morning, when the iron roof of the Refinery is reported to have fallen, and added fuel to the fire by causing a quantity of oil to overflow. Mr. Braidwood left for London, and was relieved here by Mr. Henderson, of the Southwark District, who returned to town with his engines, &c., at 2 o'clock in the afternoon.

The Dover Corporation Engine. - Not least, though last, out of courtesy to the various parties similarly assisting are our Town Engines, and what can we say of them more than is already known. The skill and energy of Captains Parks and Wood are as familiar to us as "Household words," and their presence at the outbreak of any fire looked for as a matter of certainty. Few were on the spot on Sunday night when they and their engines were welcomed by the neighbourhood; and few were there, of the thousands who saw what followed in the succeeding hours, that could not hear testimony to the untiring energies put forth by them to extinguish the flames, or check the ravages of the destroying element. The intimate knowledge possessed by Mr. Parks of the several edifices composing the establishment was of important service, and especially in the pulling down of walls, chimneys, &c. Under their superintendence, the porters acquitted themselves handsomely, and deserve high commendation. We understand the firmness of the "Captains" led to the saving of much property about to be recklessly pulled down.

In conclusion we might observe - never were the Corporation engines better worked, and never more ably directed, than on Sunday night last.


Immediately on intelligence of the fire being communicated to the Police Station. Superintendent Coram despatched a constable to the fire station, and arranged for the attendance of his whole force (17) - in Limekiln Street, &c., where they were variously stationed to prevent those working the engines from interference, and to protect the hose crossing the streets, as well as the property lying about, from the hasty removal that had been affected. Some of the force were more actively employed; and we understand that the preservation of the British School may, in no small measure be attributed to the exertions of Mr. Coram and Sergeant Burridge. We regret that notwithstanding the vigilance exercised, pilfering to a considerable extent was carried on, and one gentleman was most audaciously robbed of a silk handkerchief. In the removal of furniture, &c., from several tenements deserted, advantage was taken of the opportunity for purloining. However, the police force exerted themselves well in the performance of the duty assigned them, and we have pleasure in acknowledging their exertions.


Several of the officers and men of this service were also present, and aided in the general efforts directed to stay the spreading fire.


Who could be otherwise than gratified while witnessing the indomitable energy exhibited by the troops, who were so readily ordered by their officers to march to the assistance of the civilians, in the sad calamity that threatened to overwhelm the town on Sunday. On such occasions they have ever been found ready to lend a helping hand. The troops on the ground comprised a large body of Artillery, and the depots. of the Rifle Brigade and 67th Regiment, accompanied by their respective officers. Many of them assisted at the engines, others were employed in removing goods from the houses in danger, and some were on duty at the avenues leading towards the fire, keeping a clear space for the unfettered operation of those at the engines, and preventing intruders coming within reach of the property unavoidably exposed in the confusion consequent on a hurried departure during an alarming crisis. One individual, named Thomas Shinton, a private in the Rifles, was pointed out to us as conspicuous for daring feats. Others were also spoken of, but not named; and it is hardly necessary, where such a general effort to aid to the utmost of their power was evinced by the military, to attempt to individualize. Many a flattering compliment was heard paid to them, and richly both officers and men deserve it. The meeting of Thursday shows that the authorities appreciated their exertions.


If anything can afford us pleasure in narrating the particulars of this terrible catastrophe, it is this - that amid the destruction of property to the amount of thousands of pounds, calling forth in its preservation the exertions of hundreds of individuals, and repeatedly placing them in jeopardy, not a limb was fractured, nor a life lost. Statements to the contrary have gone forth, but we repeat, not a limb was fractured, nor a life lost. Bruises were plentiful but none heeded during the excitement of the fire. The first incident fraught with injury took place during the rapid passage of the Castle engine from the Barracks to Limekiln Street. In descending Castle Hill one of the private's tripped, and a wheel passed over his arm. He was reported as expected to leave the hospital on Thursday. The second circumstance followed the issuing of the fire from the windows of the Oil Mill, when those having the hose on the south-west side were driven backwards, and Mr. Thomas Boulter and two Artillerymen fell through the glass roof of the weighing yard. Fears were rife that they were lost, but they shortly emerged from the premises in another direction, and save some slight contusions were unharmed. The inexpressible of the gunners were much torn by the fall. A third incident, when Mr. Boulter risked his personnel safety to release some pigeons from the top floor of the Old Steam Mill, and five gunners at the same time mounted its flat roof to play on the Oil Mill, resulted in no injury to either, although they were compelled to beat a precipitate retreat, the soldiers by the hose of the engine, and Mr. Boulter through the window. A fourth incident attended the removal of some goods from a house derelict, when the arm of a soldier of the 67th was severely lacerated. In another case, a soldier sunk from sheer exhaustion in working the engine. Probably the narrow escape was that from a fall of cliff at midnight. We were near the spot. Mr. Braidwood had a few minutes previously directed Mr. Maidman to play on the coals ignited in the vaults close to the old cement kiln. Water was accordingly plentifully poured on, and the gloom of night (notwithstanding the body of fire, not flame, in other parts) pervaded the spot. The hose was still applied; and at this juncture Mr. Way, Superintendent of the Railway Station, observing one of the Company's servants (Mr. Simmond's, Carriage Inspector) with a torch in his hand, requested him to go forward, and show a light to those having the hose. Simmond's did so, and had scarcely been occupied two minutes, when the faint light from the torch depicted a quivering in the cliff. We observed it, and heard a cry of warning, the cliff fell, but the warning suffered for the escape of the dozen or twenty individuals near it; and we look upon Simmond's torch as the instrument to their safety. Forty feet of the hose was buried beneath the debris, which are at the time estimated at not less than 1000 tons; it may be more. No one was injured by the fall. The concussion of the atmosphere was said to have prostrated one man. To our enquires, he said nothing struck him; but his system was completely paralysed by the suddenness of the fall, and imminent peril of those on the spot. A glass of spirits fitted him for his journey home, and on the following day he was as well as ever. It was said a small piece of chalk struck some individuals; we saw none of them, and no one complained of the slightest injury. No further incident, of the kind occurred; to ensure the safety of his men, (who were ignorant of the locality) and partially to allay apprehension, Mr. Braidwood told a fireman to proceed to the top of the cliff and stay to give warning if any appearance of the fall of the lofty chimney was indicated. Fortunately, no other casualty occurred. On Thursday, some eight or ten individuals narrowly escaped being buried beneath the south-west wall of the Old Steam Mill, which fell unexpectedly when several persons where standing near. Smoke continued to rise from the burning mass as we prepared for press this morning, and every evening more or less flame has been visible - on Thursday so much so as to excite alarm.


Under this head, we close our report of the "Great Fire of Dover," and observe - that the regret at throwing a single individual out of employment necessarily increases when numbers are deprived of the means of subsistence. Sad as will be the consequences of the destruction of the Dover Patent Oil Mills to many families thus suddenly bereft of a livelihood (as well as to others whose few household goods have been destroyed,) two circumstances tend to alleviate the distressing reports that have prevailed. First - the number thrown out of employ has been greatly exaggerated; and secondly - employment for labours is by no means scarce at the present period. During what is termed the "season" at Mr. Walker's mill, from 100 to 120 hands are weekly employed. At other times about 25 hands are said to be average. At the time of the fire, the season had not commenced, but was to have begun on Monday last and notice was sent accordingly to the usual hands, who were in employ in different parts of the County - Margate, Elham, St. Margaret's &c. Fires were to have been lighted at 4 o'clock on Monday morning, and work commenced at six. To what extent the hands away might be injured by any notice to quit they might have given their employers, we are not prepared to say. The probability is, that the greater portion will continue where they are, and that the actual deprivations of employ will be principally confined to those in Dover, whose distressed position as at this moment engaging the consideration of the benevolent public.


No class of society was unrepresented at the conflagration, high and low, young and old, rich and poor, were there - divinity, law, and physic were there - aiding in necessity's hour, and developing a spirit of the most praiseworthy character.




Name changed from "Black Pig."

Last pub licensee had DEBENHAM John 1827-39+ Pigot's Directory 1832-34Pigot's Directory 1839

WARWICK Chs 1840+ Pigot's Directory 1840

TERRY Richard 1841+ (Censusalso stonemason.)

THOMPSON Robert 1847+ Bagshaw's Directory 1847


Pigot's Directory 1828-29From the Pigot's Directory 1828-9

Pigot's Directory 1832-34From the Pigot's Directory 1832-33-34

Pigot's Directory 1839From the Pigot's Directory 1839

Pigot's Directory 1840From the Pigot's Directory 1840


Bagshaw's Directory 1847From Bagshaw Directory 1847


If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-