Sort file:- Dover, September, 2021.

Page Updated:- Monday, 27 September, 2021.

PUB LIST PUBLIC HOUSES Barry Smith and Paul Skelton

Earliest 1838

Mariner's Arms/Khedive

Latest 1906

15 Commercial Quay

Woolcomber's Lane Bagshaw's Directory 1847


Mariner's Arms

Above photo circa 1895.

Blue Anchor map 1871

The above map, dated 1871, kindly sent by Glenn Hatfield,  identifies the location as next to the "Old Commercial Quay Inn." However, it appears to be identified as the "Blue Anchor" in this map. The building to the left in process of demolition is the "London Packet."


Bagshaw's Directory listed this as Marine Arms in Woolcomber's Street and Thomas Johnson.


Otherwise known to the troops as "The Khedive". An outlet of the Wellington Brewery but sold by Mrs Harding in October 1890 for 975.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday 20 September, 1867.


Robert Halliday, landlord of the "Mariner's Arms" public-house, Commercial Quay, was charged with having his house open, contrary to his license, and was fined 1 and costs.


From the Dover Express and East Kent Intelligencer, 11 September, 1868.



Mr. Craddock, the landlord of this house, was informed that the Magistrates had resolved to suspend the renewal of the license until their meeting at Broadstairs, when he might apply again, the Mayor observing that the Magistrates hope the present landlord would then be able to show that he had conducted his house in the interim in such a manner as would justify them in renewing the license.


From the Dover Express and East Kent Intelligencer, 7 October, 1870. Price 1d.


Stephen Craddock, landlord of the "Mariner's Arms," Commercial Quay was fined 10s. and 9s. 6d. costs for having his house open during prohibited hours.


From the Dover Express and East Kent Intelligencer, 10 February, 1871. Price 1d.


Mr. Fox appeared on behalf of Mr. Craddock, the proprietor of a public-house on the Commercial Quay, who, it appeared, had cashed an advance note of a seaman name John Hammond, whose case was before the magistrates last week, to the value of 1 8s., the man having engaged himself for a voyage in a ship from Dover to Aberdeen. The Magistrates on that occasion thought the conduct of Mr. Craddock was such as to recommend the Superintendent of Police to bring the matter before the Magistrates on the annual licensing day; but Mr. Fox's statement went to prove that the proceedings of Mr. Craddock in cashing the note was perfectly regular. The bench, however, declined to vary the directions, the Magistrates sitting on the previous week had given the Superintendent.


From the Dover Express and East Kent Intelligencer, 19 September, 1873. Price 1d.

John Halliday, of the "Mariner's Arms Inn," summoned for assaulting John Castle, was dismissed.



The licence looks to be suspended from 1868 to 1871 but the pub was certainly active again after that. The Bench did refuse to renew the licence however from 1891 onwards.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 13 April, 1888. Price 1d.


Henry Gravener, Thomas Lambert, and Henry Millington, were charged on remand with having in their possession a quantity of steam coal, the property of the London, Brighton, and South Coast Railway Company, stolen from a barge of Newhaven.

The prisoner Millington is captain, and the other two prisoners are the crew of the smack “Alice,” belonging to Mr. Cullin, ship broker of Dover.

Mr. C. Ellis, solicitor, appeared on behalf of the London, Brighton, and South Coast Company, to prosecute. He stated that the smack “Alice,” on which the prisoners were employed, came into the port of Newhaven on the 18th or 19th of March, and left about the 21st instant. They came back in the smack on the 22nd or 23rd instant, owing to stress of weather, and remained about six days. During the time the smack was there she laid between two barges laden with coal, which the Company used for their steam boats. The barges and the smack laid on the west side of the harbour. The foreman of the works at Newhaven coal depot would be able to tell the Magistrates that the coal the barges were laden with was the same kind as the prisoners were selling in Dover. The coal was of a peculiar kind and there was no other coal like it in Newhaven. The steam coal was found on board the smack when she arrived in Dover. The coal porter at Newhaven missed a large quantity of coal, more than was found on the smack directly she left harbour. There was about 12 cwt found on the smack which was valued at 9s. or 9. 6d. It was not an unusual occurrence for the Company to lose quantities of coal at Newhaven, and he would ask the Magistrates after hearing the evidence to deal with the case summarily.

The evidence previously taken was read over and confirmed. One of the witnesses being deaf, Mr. H. Pain was engaged to interpret the evidence he had given in the deaf and dumb language.

James Fairway, landlord of the “Mariner's Arms,” public house gave evidence, and stated that he bought a quantity of the steam coal off the two prisoners Lambert and Gravener. Witness stated that he gave 4s. and half a gallon of beer to the prisoners of the coal, the prisoner Lambert taking the money. The captain was not present when the coal was sold. The prisoners told witness that they had exchanged some fish for the coal at Newhaven.

William Johnson Cullin, ship builder and smack owner, at Dover, gave evidence. Witness stated that the smack “Alice,” belonged to him and the three prisoners were employed on board, the prisoner Millington being captain. Witness stated that the steam coal was not used by them as they only used household coal.

Charles Stone, foreman of the London, Brighton, and South Coast Railway Company's coal depot at Newhaven gave evidence. Witness stated that the steam coal which was called double screened beat Merthyr steam coal found in the prisoner's possession was exactly similar to the coal which the two barges, between which the smack was lying at Newhaven, were laden with. The value of the 12 cwts, found in the prisoner's possession was about 10s. Witness missed some of the coal after the smack had left the harbour.

John Atherton coal porter in the Company's employ at Newhaven, also gave evidence.

P.C. George Baker proved finding a quantity of the coal on board the smack “Alice,” on which the prisoners were employed.

The prisoners wished the case to be dealt with summarily and each pleaded “Not Guilty.”

The Magistrates said there was no doubt, but that the prisoners were guilty of stealing the coal and sentenced them each to one month's hard labour.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 25 January, 1889. Price 1d.


James Baker, a private in the Royal Irish Fusiliers, was charged with being drunk and disorderly on the Commercial Quay, and assaulting Police-constable Norman Fogg, whilst in the execution of his duty. He was also charged with wilfully breaking a pane of glass, value 4s., at 30, Commercial Quay, and stealing a bottle of sweets, value 1s.

Police-constable Norman Fogg said he was on duty in the Commercial Quay the previous night about 11.30, when in consequence of what he was told, he went down the quay. He saw the prisoner and another soldier not in custody coming along from the direction of the “Mariner's Arms” public house. They were knocking the shutters of the houses with their sticks. Witness told then to go along quietly, and the prisoner, who was carrying a bottle, deliberately struck him on the helmet with his stick, threw the bottle down, and ran away. Witness followed and caught the prisoner near Limekiln Street, when the prisoner again struck him, and he closed with him, and, with assistance, handcuffed him and brought him to the Police station. The other man got away. Witness afterwards found that a pane of glass had been broken at a general shop, No. 30, Commercial Quay, and a bottle of sweets stolen. He found some sweets and pieces of glass lying on the ground where the prisoner threw the bottle down.

Anna Brown said she lived with he aunt, Mrs. Annie Newington, who kept a general shop at 30, Commercial Quay. The bottle produced was kept in the window, and was partly full of sweets. About 11.30 on Friday night she heard a crash of glass, and on coming downstairs found that the window had been broken, and a bottle of sweets were missing.

The prisoner, in answer to the charge, pleaded “Not guilty.”

An officer of the regiment who was present, said the prisoner had been in the service ten months, and bore a fair character.

The Bench fined the prisoner 4s. for the damage done, 5s. for the larceny, and 7s. costs.


Dover Express 27 September 1889.


Commercial-quay, Dover, a well-situated Public House, facing the Harbour, and near the General Post Office, to be Let with immediate possession.

Apply to Messrs. Terson and Son, Auctioners and Valuers, 27, Castle-street, Dover.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 18 July, 1890. Price 1d.


This was a claim of 5 10s, for a quarter rent of 45, Priory Hill. Mr. Mowll appeared for the plaintiff. He said Cullen was now the landlord of the “Mariner's Arms,” Commercial Quay, and was in possession of 200. there was no defence, and His Honor issued an order for payment forthwith.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 3 October, 1890. Price 5d.


Yesterday afternoon Messrs. Terson and Son offered five public houses, the property of Mrs. Harding, for sale by auction at the “Royal Oak Hotel.” The result was, the “Mariner's Arms,” Commercial Quay, 975.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 26 December, 1890.


Richard Johnson Cullen, was called but he did not answer.

Police-sergeant Harman proved the serving of the summons on the defendant's wife at his residence the “Mariner's Arms,” Commercial Quay. The house was open, and there was a soldier in the tap room, but he saw no drink.

An information under 6th George 4th Chap 21 was then read, made by Thomas Skinner, officer of the Inland Revenue, charging Mr. R. J. Cullen, with selling whiskey by retail without a license, at the “Mariner's Arms,” by which he rendered himself liable to a penalty of 50.

Mr. Thomas Skinner, officer of the Inland Revenue stated the case, and the Acts under which his information was laid, and he asked the bench to inflict a fine not less than 17 5s. 3d., the cost of the license and costs.

Mr. Frederick George Sherren, an officer of the Inland Revenue, said: On the 11th of October, I went to the “Mariner's Arms,” Commercial Quay, and purchased a small glass of whiskey. The house was open as a public house, I saw Mrs. Cullen and a barman in the bar, I called for a glass of whiskey, and it was served by the barman in Mrs. Cullen's presence. I tasted the liquor, and found that it was whiskey. Mr. Cullen knew who I was, as I had been in once or twice before about the license. They had a license last year, and the license transferred on the 10th of October. I called several times subsequently, but did not see Cullen. I saw him some time in November, and asked him to pay for the license, and he said he would do so the following day. He came up to the office and said that some friend would lend him the money, and he would send it directly. The license amounts to 17 for spirits including been and wine and 5s. 3d. for tobacco. I called again on the 11th of December, and was served with a small glass of whiskey. Mr. Cullen was present, but a woman served me. She asked what whiskey she should serve, and he told her. This is the only license in the town that had not been taken up. We give a few days' grace, and I did all I could to get the money. The house has been open even since, as though the license were paid. Mr. Cullen made an entry of the house in his name, which entry I now produce. He signed the entry. He made the entry on the 17th of July 1890.

The Bench having considered the case, inflicted a penalty of 10 and 8s. 6d. costs, to be levied by distress, or in default one month's hard labour. A distress warrant was ordered to be issued at once.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 28 August, 1891. Price 1d.



Objections being taken to the “Mariners' Arms,” (otherwise known as the Khedive), both by the Watch Committee and the Temperance Party, it stood over till the end, as did also the “Marquis of Waterford” for the same reason, and the “Northampton Arms.”


The Magistrates' Clerk said the Magistrates would next proceed to consider the objections to the houses standing over.


Objections were taken to the renewal of the license of this house, both by Mr. Knocker on behalf of the Watch Committee and Mr. Mark Knowles on behalf of the Temperance Committee.

The notice in this case had been sent by registered letter, but it had been returned through the post.

Mr. Mark Knowles said that the holder of the license did not appear in Court to apply for the license, therefore, he took that the license would lapse; there was no application for the renewal.

Mr. Mowll said he appeared for the owner of the house and also for the present occupier, Mr. Joyner, and he asked under the decision in the case of Regina v. the Justices of Lancashire, that the license should be granted to Joyner.

James Joyner, the man in occupation was then called. He said: I am the occupier of the house called the “Khedive.” I apply for the renewal of the license to me as occupier.

In reply to the Bench, the Superintendent of Police said he knew nothing against Joyner's character. He had conducted several licensed houses for different people in the town.

Mr. Knowles objected to a new tenant being sprung upon them without notice in that way.

Mr. Mowll strongly objected to any interference, and contended that Mr. Knowles had no right to be heard.

The Mayor: I am of opinion that you have no locus standi, (In law, standing or locus standi is the term for the ability of a party to demonstrate to the court sufficient connection to and harm from the law or action challenged to support that party's participation in the case) no notice having been proved.

Mr. Knowles: I could not prove any notices. This is absolutely a new department.

The Mayor:' I am advised that you have no locus standi, and cannot be heard.

Mr. Knowles: I would call the Magistrates' attention to this –

The Mayor: I must ask you to sit down.

Mr. Knocker: I should like to ask how long this man has been in occupation of the house.

Mr. Mowll: My case is closed. The time has gone for asking my witness questions.

Mr. Bradley (one of the Magistrates): I should like to know how long this man has been in occupation.

The Mayor: How long have you been in occupation of this house, Joyner?

Joyner: About a week or fortnight.

The Mayor: Selling?

Joyner: No.

Mr. Mowll: Of course he could not sell.

Mr. T. V. Brown: Were the shutters down and the front doors open?

Joyner: Yes, the front door was open.

In reply to other questions, the man said he was the caretaker of the house. He had no agreement as a tenant.

The Mayor: We will decide this later on.

The Mayor said: I will now read the decisions of the Magistrates in the following cases:-

The “Khedive,” license refused.

Mr. Martin Mowll: may I ask on what grounds you have refused to renew the license for the “Khedive?”

The Mayor: I understand it is the duty of the Magistrates to give decisions and not reasons.

Mr. Mowll: There are certain cases where the persons interested are entitled to ask on what ground the license is refused.

The Magistrates' Clerk: This is not one.



However, further research found in the Dover Express of 16 February 1906, a passage mentions that improvements were needed for the lavatory accommodation as it was inadequate, and that unless improvements were made the license would not be renewed. So it looks as if this pub may have still been serving in 1906, if not longer.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 16 February, 1906. Price 1d.


The Chairman announced that in respect of the “Mariner's Arms,” Strond Street, the “Exeter Arms,” Limekiln Street, and the “Sceptre Inn,” the lavatory accommodation was inadequate, and the licenses were granted on the understanding that the owners gave an undertaking to put them in the shortest possibly term in a satisfactory state.

The undertakings were given.

The Magistrates Clerk announced that the ordinary licenses would then be renewed except in the cases where notice had been given by the Police, and which are dealt with in this report.




JOHNSON Thomas 1838-47+ Bagshaw's Directory 1847


GIDLEY George Melville's 1858

BARKER Johnathan W to Feb/1861 Dover Express

FORSTER George Feb/1861-63 Dover Express

MARONEY Michael 1863

NAYLOR or TAYLOR W 1864-65 end

WARMAN William to Sep/1868 (Dover Express Mariner's Arms St. Mary)

Last pub licensee had CRADDOCK Thomas Sep/1868 Next pub licensee had (Dover Express Mariner's Arms St. Mary)

CRADDOCK Stephen Oct/1870-Sept/71 Dover Express

Last pub licensee had HALLADAY Robert Sept/1871-74+ Next pub licensee had Dover ExpressPost Office Directory 1874

MILES William Henry Frederick Jun/1879+ Dover Express

STICKELLS Frederick John to May/1880 Dover Express

BILHAM James May/1880-82+ (age 47 in 1881Census) Dover ExpressPost Office Directory 1882 (late of London Police)

FAREWAY James 1887-88+

CULLEN Richard Johnson 1890-1991 Post Office Directory 1891

PEARCE Samuel Feb/1890+ Dover Express

JOYNER James 1891


Melville's 1858From Melville's Directory 1858

Post Office Directory 1874From the Post Office Directory 1874

Post Office Directory 1882From the Post Office Directory 1882

Post Office Directory 1891From the Post Office Directory 1891

Dover ExpressFrom the Dover Express


If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-