DOVER KENT ARCHIVES

Sort file:- Sandwich, March, 2021.

Page Updated:- Sunday, 07 March, 2021.

PUB LIST PUBLIC HOUSES Paul Skelton

Earliest 1765

Crispin Inn

Open 2020+

6 High Street

Strand Street

Sandwich

01304 621967

http://www.sandwichpubs.co.uk/

https://www.facebook.com

https://whatpub.com/crispin-inn

Crispin Inn, Sandwich, date unknown

Picture above kindly supplied by Sue Solley.

Crispin sign 2012

Above showing their sign January 2012.

Chrispin 1904

Above postcard, 1904, kindly sent by Rory Kehoe.

Crispin Inn

Above postcard, date unknown.

Crispin 1906

Above photo, circa 1906, kindly sent by Rory Kehoe and Graham Butterworth..

Crispin 1909

Above postcard, date 1909, kindly sent by Mark Jennings.

Crispin 1910

Above postcard, circa 1910, kindly sent by Rory Kehoe.

Crispin 1913

Above postcard circa 1913. Kindly sent by Rory Kehoe.

Crispin

Above postcard, date unknown.

Crispin 1949

Above photo, 1949.

Crispin 1955

Above postcard, 1955 just after the Thompson's livery had been painted over with/by Charrington's. Kindly sent by Rory Kehoe.

Crispin back

Above postcard, date unknown. Kindly sent by Garth Wyver.

Crispin 1977

Above photo, 1977, kindly sent by Rory Kehoe.

Crispin 2012

Above photo by Paul Skelton January 2012.

Crispin at Sandwich

Above photo shows the Crispin Inn in Sandwich. Photo taken from http://www.roundsandsounds.co.uk

Crispin Inn inside 2013

Photo taken 5 January 2013 from http://www.flickr.com by Jelltex.

Crispin sign 1975

Crispin sign June 1975.

Crispin sign 1991Crispin sign 1991

Above signs August 1991 with thanks from Brian Curtis www.innsignsociety.com

Crispin matchbox

Above matchbox kindly sent by John Gladish.

 

Although it is recorded as a public house only since 1823 Pigot's Directory 1823, it is known to have been in existence since medieval times and in business since 1491. Inns of this description were used as the official meeting places of shoemakers and workers in leather. (St. Crispin is their patron saint).

The 1891 Census gave the address as in bridge Street.

THE CRISPIN

Within the ancient town and Cinque Port of Sandwich, situated and lying at the High Street, can be found the Inn known by name and sign of the "Crispin."

It was built in the 6th year of Henry VII in 1491. When first erected it was a dwelling house, smaller in structure than the present day building, with one door leading into Strand Street. It was owned then, and formed part of the estate of one Julian Ketchull Esq. of the parish of Ash next Sandwich who possessed of it until his death in 1519, after which it passed by right of descendancy to his son Nysall of Wingham, in whose hands it remained for the entirety of the reign of Henry VIII. In 1565, the executors of the estate of Nysall Ketchull, disposed of the property by sale to one Richard Husband Eqs. of the parish of Postling, in whose possession it remained until his death in 1597. After which it passed to his children Charlotte and Robert. Charlotte Husband died in 1633, and this property and others in Sandwich, Postling and Yalding were transferred to the estate of Robert Husband, who in 1654 was declared an insane person, and in consequence of lunacy was granted. A trustee was appointed in the guise of on William Wychell M.D. of London, who sought permission to sell off parts of the estate to cover the debts incumbered by Robert Husband.

In 1657, this and one other property nearby in Sandwich, were purchased by one Thomas Cobb Esq. of London, in whose descendants it continued down until at length it was disposed of by sale to one Geoffrey Tregowan in 1746.

For the duration of this time this house had been tenanted, leased and released to a number of persons of varying circumstances and occupations. For a good many years during the eighteenth century it was the home of the ferry-man who operated the ferry across the Stour before the bridge was built. In 1755, a petition was sought to build a bridge over the river. In 1757 and drawbridge and toll house with living quarters was opened. During the period of building, works were carried out to this house to enlarge it and form it as part of the bridge-house. One Caleb Wellard, was appointed bridge-man to collect toll monies.

In 1765 one Thomas Hills came to dwell here, he was described as a furniture maker and common beer seller. In 1769 he applied for and was granted a licence to sell ales from these premises. At this date the house was afforded no title, other than that of a "bere house in Strande Street. In 1790 upon the death of widow Hills, one Wellard Scones beer-seller, obtained a licence to sell ales and ciders from these premises and in 1792 he was granted a full licence  to sell liquor from the same premises he now called the "Crispin," after the patron saint of shoemakers who with his brother were said  to have been shipwrecked near here whilst fleeing from France.

By 1827 the "Crispin" was in the hands of Edward Niles, brewer of Ramsgate. During this period and for many years to follow the task of collecting the tollcharges fell upon the resident keeper of the "Crispin". In 1845, the address of the Inn changed from Strand Street to No. 6 High Street. In 1873, widow and keeper of the "Crispin" Sarah Kelsey, paid an annual rent of 22 pounds. In 1882, it was purchased by one Alfred Sparkes, innkeeper for 800 pounds. In the early twentieth century the "Crispin" was purchased by the forerunner of the present Bass-Charrington Brewery.

The Bass Brewery was started in 1723 by one Thomas Bass, a carrier of Burton. Upon his round he sold a home-brewed ale. The demand for his beverage grew to such an extent, that he was obliged to sell his removal business to one named Pickford and concentrate solely on brewing. Such was the commencement of the Bass brewery and Pickford removals.

Above supplied by kind permission of the "Crispin."

 

From the Dover Express, Thursday 6 November, 2008

Crispin Inn Sandwich, 2008

 

From the Dover Telegraph and Cinque Ports General Advertiser, Saturday, 26 December, 1846. Price 5d.

DEATH

Dec. 22, at Sandwich, Mr. John Brooks, landlord of the "Crispin Inn," aged 62.

 

Whitstable Times and Herne Bay Herald, Saturday 22 April 1882.

On Wednesday afternoon Mr. John Costell, a gentleman from London, was driving a lady and Mr. H. Miles, landlord of the "Anchor Inn," from Ramsgate, when about a mile from Sandwich he ran foul of a stone cart, overthrowing their conveyance and precipitating them into the road, Mr. Costell receiving a severe wound on the head and the wheel passing over his body. He was conveyed to the "Crispin Inn," and attended to by Dr. Scott, who pronounced him in a very precarious state. The other occupants of the vehicle were very much shaken.

 

From an email received 24 December 2011.

I was a recent visitor to the Crispin Inn - a lovely old building in a beautiful place. I was particularly interested in the list of licensee in the bar, and thought that you may be interested to know that in the 1881 Census, my great-great-grandfather Albert Dilnot is shown as the innkeeper there, with his daughter Julia working as a barmaid. If at any time you update the list, you may like to add his name.

Best wishes for Christmas and the New Year,

Regards,

Elizabeth Long.

 

Bar at the Crispin 2013

Above photo showing a shot of the bar area, June 2013.

 

In May 2018 the owners changed from Punch Taverns to Star (Heineken Ltd.)

 

LICENSEE LIST

HILLS Thomas 1765-82

HILLS Mrs to 1782-90 dec'd

SCOONES William 1790-1808

BROOKES Thomas 1808+

HICKS John 1823-24+ Pigot's Directory 1823

BROOKES John 1827-Dec/46 dec'd (age 50 in 1841Census) Pigot's Directory 1828-29Pigot's Directory 1832-34Pigot's Directory 1839Pigot's Directory 1840Dover Telegraph owned by NILES Edward (Ramsgate brewer)

BROOKS Rose 1847+ Bagshaw's Directory 1847

KELSEY Henry 1858+ Melville's 1858

KELSEY Sarah Ann Mrs 1861-74+ (widow age 32 in 1861Census) Kelly's 1862Kelly's 1874Post Office Directory 1874

HARPER William Caesar 1877-78+ Post Office Directory 1878

DILNOT Albert 1881 Census

SPARKES/SPARKS Alfred 1882 Post Office Directory 1882

SADDLETON John 1887+

GUNNER Henry 1891-99+ (age 40 in 1891Census) Kelly's 1899

HAYMAN Richard Morris 1901-03 Next pub licensee had (age 49 in 1901Census) Dover Express

Last pub licensee had LATHAM George 1903-10

FIELDER John George 1912-22+ Post Office Directory 1913Post Office Directory 1918Post Office Directory 1922

SOLWAY Robert 1923-34+ Post Office Directory 1930Kelly's 1934

MILES Albert J 1937-38+ Post Office Directory 1938

JENNINGS John G 1952+

Last pub licensee had FRENCH Ernest J J 1969-70+

BOREHAM John H 1973-74+ Library archives 1974 Charrington & Co

SARGEANT William J R 1980+

KEMPTON Ronald & FRASER Barbara 1986+

GRANT Richard & Yvonne 1991+

WEST Terry Dec/2010-2013+

https://pubwiki.co.uk/Crispin.shtml

 

Pigot's Directory 1823From the Pigot's Directory 1823

Pigot's Directory 1828-29From the Pigot's Directory 1828-29

Pigot's Directory 1832-34From the Pigot's Directory 1832-33-34

Pigot's Directory 1839From the Pigot's Directory 1839

Pigot's Directory 1840From the Pigot's Directory 1840

Bagshaw's Directory 1847From Bagshaw Directory 1847

Melville's 1858From Melville's Directory 1858

Kelly's 1862From the Kelly's Directory 1862

Post Office Directory 1874From the Post Office Directory 1874

Kelly's 1874From the Kelly's Directory 1874

Post Office Directory 1878From the Post Office Directory 1878

Post Office Directory 1882From the Post Office Directory 1882

Kelly's 1899From the Kelly's Directory 1899

Post Office Directory 1913From the Post Office Directory 1913

Post Office Directory 1918From the Post Office Directory 1918

Post Office Directory 1922From the Post Office Directory 1922

Post Office Directory 1930From the Post Office Directory 1930

Kelly's 1934From the Kelly's Directory 1934

Post Office Directory 1938From the Post Office Directory 1938

Library archives 1974Library archives 1974

Dover TelegraphFrom the Dover Telegraph

Dover ExpressFrom the Dover Express

CensusCensus

 

If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-

TOP Valid CSS