Sort file:- Dover, September, 2021.

Page Updated Dover:- Wednesday, 29 September, 2021.

PUB LIST PUBLIC HOUSES Barry Smith and Paul Skelton

Earliest 1860

(Name from)

Anglesey Arms

Latest 1866

(Name to)

7a Priory Street



Known earlier as the "Royal George", that licence was withheld in 1859 but George Baker impressed the Bench sufficiently the following year to effect a reopening.


From the Dover Express and East Kent Intelligencer, 9 July, 1859.


The "Anglesey Arms" - This being a transfer day, Mr. James Pincher applied for the transfer of the "Anglesey Arms," formerly the "Royal George," whereupon:-

The May read a memorial address to the magistrates from the residents of Priory Street and the vicinity, calling their worship's attention to the fact that the memorialists were continually subject to annoyance from the drunken and disorderly assemblages at the "Anglesey Arms," formerly the notorious "Royal George," after the hour of midnight, and by such drunkards and disorderlies, after being ejected from the house, remaining in the street, quarrelling and fighting, and crying "murder!" as was the case (a report in our last) on the night of the 25th June. The memorialists concluded by requesting that their worships would cause such enquiries to be made and such instructions given as would abate the nuisance. The memorial was signed by thirteen persons.

The application denied that the house was conducted in a disorderly manner.

The Mayor, however, said the magistrate had taken pains to enquire into the point, and as the result of their investigations they had determined not to transfer the license.


From the Dover Express and East Kent Intelligencer, 10 September, 1859.


The "Anglesea Arms," formerly he notorious "Royal George," in Priory Street, a petition against the renewal of the license, signed by thirty residence of that street and its neighbourhood, was read. It spoke of the frequent midnight broils created by disorderly persons who were turned out of the house, accompanied by fighting and screaming and cries of "Murder," awakening the petitioners from their slumbers and alarming them; and they therefore desired that such instructions should be given as would lead to the abatement of the nuisance. The Superintendent, in reply to questions by the Bench, said he had received no reports against the house since June last, when some parties were brought up who had created a disturbance and sentenced to 14 days' imprisonment; but the Town Sergeant (Frowe), who lived next door, stated that even since June the house had been very badly conducted and that he had reason to believe prostitutes were harboured there.

The landlord said that the women who lived there at his house were merely lodgers and gained their livelihood by taking in needlework.

The Mayor told him the Magistrates had determined, whenever complaints against a house had been received, as in this case, to withhold the license.

"The Duke of Cornwall," in Oxenden Street, shared a similar fate.



The name would have changed at that time and the public still drank there in 1866. My searches never revealed it again after that year although I did find mention of an "Anglesey Arms" in York Street in 1870. I have presumed that to be the "Marquis of Anglesey".


From the Dover Express and East Kent Intelligencer, 7 May, 1859.


Charles Elton and Esther Elton were brought up by police-constable Faith, the first charge with being drunk and disorderly in Priory Street, and the woman, with abetting him in his violence.

From the evidence of the constable it appeared that he was called in to clear the "Anglesey Arms" public-house, Priory Street, shortly before 12 o'clock on Saturday night, the landlord being desirous of closing the house. The defendant's were two of the noisiest of a very noisy party in the taproom, an it was with great difficulty they were got out of the house. After the emerged into the street they were very abusive, and the man, who had in his possession a stick as thick as a constable's staff, struck the officer a blow on the arm, by which he was completely stunned. He still felt the effects of the blow, he said, and was unable to raise his arm to his head. The woman clung to her husband and prevented him from being taken into custody for some time; but further assistance was obtained by the constable, and the defendants were ultimately conveyed to the station-house.

The female defendant was discharged, but the man was committed for seven days in default of paying 1s. and 6s. costs.


From the Dover Express and East Kent Intelligencer, 2 July, 1859.


Helen Fitzpatrick, an Irishwoman, was brought up by the police-constable Bowles charged with being drunk, using obscene language, and causing an obstruction of the footway in Priory Street early on Sunday morning.

Bowles said that about half-past 12 o'clock on Sunday morning he met a man who told him there was a "jolly row" in Priory Street; and hearing cries of murder he hastened to the spot, where he found the prisoner with her back against the wall and surrounded by about a hundred persons, each and all of whom she was challenging to fight. She actually wanted to fight him (the constable) when he made his appearance on the scene. She obstinately refused to go to the station-house, and expressed her intention of returning to the "Anglesey Arms," where she had been staying, and of breaking every ------- thing in the house. It was not without considerable difficulty she was conveyed to the police-station.

Mr. Coram said the conduct of the prisoner at the station was considerably bad. She had three young children with her, one of whom fainted at the police-station. He had since had them conveyed to the Union.

Mr. Stride said he could answer for the cries of "murder," as he was alarmed and got up to see what was the matter.

In defence the prisoner said she was on the road to Folkestone, where her late husband had died, with the view of getting to the Union there. She protested that she did not occasion the disturbance, but that it was caused by another Irish family who were turned out of the "Anglesey Arms" about the same time.

Mr. Coram said the eldest of the prisoner's children was a girl twelve years of age.

Capt. Knocker - Ah! Already "on the town," I suppose?

The prisoner indignantly repudiated his worship's charitable assumption, saying that her children, although poor, were honest. She was then committed for seven days' hard labour, in default of paying a fine of 10s., including costs.


Canterbury Journal, Kentish Times and Farmers' Gazette, Saturday 22 February 1862.


Thomas Morgan James, alias William Jackson, and James Henley, were charged, on remand from Monday, with stealing 57 yards of lace and other articles from the Cavalry Barracks on the 4th inst.

The depositions taken on Monday were read over, and the following additions made:-

Charles Chandler:- When Henly told me his chum was apprehended, I asked if he had any of the property on him. He replied, "Yes, a scarf, and that will sell him."

By Henly:- You told me you believed your chum was apprehended. I do not recollect that you told me that you would not let an innocent man suffer for a guilty one.

Eliza Whiting:- It was the 5th inst. that the prisoners came to our house.

The Superintendent:- On Sunday the prisoner Henly said to me, "I hear my chum was taken with one of the scarf’s on his neck."

Henly:- Where did you get that news from. You've taken it from the papers, I suppose.

The Superintendent:- When I mentioned the night of the 4th, or morning of the 5th, the prisoner Henley went to the almanac and said, "You're right; Tuesday was the 4th."

Henly:- How many times did you ask me if any one was in my company.

The Superintendent:- I asked you once, and you replied no one.

Henley:- Did you not tell me that Jackson was in custody at Dover, and that you had taken that piece of alpaca to match with his coat.

The Superintendent:- I told you that I had taken it to Dover.

Henley:- You say that I noticed the alpaca first.

Superintendent:- Yes.

Henly:- Did you not say to me, do you know anything of that.

Superintendent:- No.

Henley:- Let us have the truth right through, now we have had it so far. My word will not be taken for yours. Did you not ask me all sorts of questions as to whether Jackson was in my company.

Superintendent:- No, certainly not.

The following fresh evidence was then taken:-

George Baker:- I keep the "Anglesey Arms" public house, at Dover. On Saturday the 1st inst., the two prisoners came to my house, and stayed till Monday. They slept at different parts of the house, and did not enter into conversation with each other.

By the Clerk:- I have told a person that I did not like to give evidence against soldiers.

Mr. Brown stepped forward and said there was one circumstance he had forgotten, and that was, that on the outside of the window sill there was some wet clay, and the marks of a man's knees in it, as if he wore corduroy trousers.

The prisoner Jackson had corduroys on, and Mr. Brown said that the marks, he thought, would nearly correspond with them.

The Court was then cleared, and on the admission of the public, in about ten minutes time, the prisoners were cautioned in the usual manner, when Henly said that Jackson was innocent, and he only was guilty.

Jackson:- I was in Dover, at the "Anglesey Arms," at six o'clock. I went from there to the "Robin Hood," where I stopped till it closed. I went there to see if I could sleep there, but was told I could not, and I then slept in a hay-stack. I got up about three hours after, and went to the "Anglesey Arms" and knocked, between five and six. It is not possible that I could leave Dover at eleven o'clock, some into Canterbury and commit a robbery, and be back there by three.

Both prisoners were committed for trial.


From the Dover Express and East Kent Intelligencer, 20 April, 1866.


Charles Hammond, a powerful looking labourer, was charged with stealing from a coach-house in Townwall Street, one coat of the value of 5s., the property of Richard Shilling, fly driver.

The prosecutor said he lived in Woolcomber Lane, and was in the employ of Mr. Laws, fly proprietor, of Townwall Street. On the previous morning the door of the coach-house was left partially open, and a coat belonging to him was lying in a pony carriage. He left it there between nine and ten o'clock, and when he wanted to put it on, between twelve and one, he discovered that it had gone. The coat produced by police-sergeant Stevens was the same. He valued it at 5s.

George baker, the landlord of the "Anglesey Arms," priory Street, said he saw the coat produced on the previous morning, when it was brought to his house, about eleven o'clock, by the prisoner. He said he was going to work at the "Clarence Hotel" next day, and he asked witness if he would let him have a shilling  on the jacket till Monday or Tuesday, as he wanted to get some food. Witness asked him if it was his own, and on his saying that it was, he let him have a shilling, and prisoner left the jacket. He then went away - to get something to eat, he said. At one o'clock, when the house was opened, the police came in, and in consequence of their enquiries witness gave the jacket up to them.

Police-sergeant Stevens said that on the previous day he went into the "Anglesey Arms," and the landlord gave up to him the coat produced.

Police-constable Corrie took the prisoner into custody in High Street, Charlton, on the previous evening. On being told what he was charged with, he said he knew nothing about it.

The prisoner, who did not desire to put any questions to any of the witnesses, begged that the case might be dealt with by the Magistrates, and pleaded guilty.

The bench sent him to prison, with hard labour, for one month.




BAKER George 1860-66+ Next pub licensee had (age 39 in 1861Census)

ROBBINS Jacob 1861? (age 40 in 1861Census, Publican)




If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-