Sort file:- Dover, September, 2021.

Page Updated Dover:- Wednesday, 29 September, 2021.

PUB LIST PUBLIC HOUSES Barry Smith and Paul Skelton

Earliest 1862


Latest 1969

54 High Street


Angel Inn
Former Angel

Above photograph by Paul Skelton, 5 April 2010, shows the approximate place where I believe the "Angel" once stood.


The house now under discussion can be traced to 1862, (Robert Stone). Closed in 1940 but reopened in 1942 by William Dinnage. It closed finally on 3 May 1969, the property itself disappearing in September 1981.


From the Dover Express and East Kent Intelligencer, 10 September, 1864.


An inquest was held on Tuesday afternoon by the borough coroner, W. H. Payn, Esq., on the body of a child between three and four years of age named Michael Neale, whose parents, the father being a labourer, reside in Barwick's Alley, Charlton. The inquest was held at the "Angel Inn," Mr. Christie being sworn as foreman. The following was the evidence adduced, from which it would appear that the child was left alone a short time by its mother, while she went into the house of a neighbour, and that he must have approached too near the fire in her absence:-

Emily White: I live in Barwick's Alley, and am the wife of Thomas White, who is a labourer employed in the oil-mills. I knew the deceased child, who was the son of Simon Neal, also a labourer and a resident of Barwick's Alley. The age of the child was three years and four months. On Saturday evening I was outside my house, when I saw the mother of the deceased leave her house and go into that of Mrs. Sullivan, a neighbour, with a teapot in her hand. During the time she was talking to Mrs. Sullivan I heard the child cry. I called to the mother, who ran up the steps leading to her house, and I followed soon afterwards. I found that the child was on fire, and I saw the mother wrap some clothing around it, to put out the flames, which she succeeded in doing. She then went away, saying she was going to take the child to hospital. I saw the deceased again on Monday, when I took it an orange. It died on Monday night.

Catherine Neal: I am the wife of Simon Neal, and mother of the deceased. As soon as I was called by the last witness on Saturday afternoon, I went up the steps into my room, where I saw the child burning, his pinafore being on fire at the side. He screamed very much. I wrapped my gown around him, and extinguished the fire, after which I ran with him immediately to the hospital. On getting to the hospital I saw a woman. I do not remember what she said, except that the doctor was not within. The neighbour who accompanied me said that it was no use stopping there, and I then left the hospital in her company and took the child to Mr. Walter's. Mr. Walter was not at home, but his assistant applied flour to the burns. I took the child home, and afterwards got from Mr. Bourner, the relieving officer, an order for the attendance of the parish surgeon. Mr. Long, the surgeon, attended the child up to the time of his death, which occurred on Monday night. I went to the hospital twice after first taking the child there. The last time, late at night, I saw the house-surgeon, and told him that Mr. Long was in attendance on the child; but I desired him to come and see deceased. He declined because Mr. Long was in attendance.

Arthur Long, surgeon, residing and practising in Dover: About six o'clock on Saturday evening I received an order from the relieving officer to attend the deceased child, who, I was told had been burnt. I reached Barwick's Alley a little after seven. I found the burns had been dressed. I looked at the extent of the burns as well as I could without disturbing the dressings, and ordered that the deceased should be kept quiet. I saw the child again the next morning, and found that the persons attending it had dressed the burns in the meantime. I told the parents that from the nature of the injuries the child had sustained, it could not recover, and it died three hours afterwards. I attributed death to inflammation of the lung, caused by the serious nature of the burns.

Sarah Horn: I am a widow, and live in Barwick's Alley. I knew the deceased child. I went with Mrs. Neal to the Hospital. The woman belonging to the hospital said she would go and see whether the house surgeon was within. She soon returned and said he was not in the house. I then suggested that the child should be taken to Mr. Walter's, which was done.

The jury returned a verdict of "Accidental Death." It transpired, during the enquiry, that there had been current a rumour to the effect that the little sufferer had been refused admittance at the Hospital; but the gentleman of the jury expressed themselves fully satisfied, from the evidence, that there had been no grounds for such an impression.


From the Dover Express and East Kent Intelligencer, 10 September, 1864.


Thomas Connors, a constable in the borough police-force, was charged with assisting Thomas Hunt, marine-store dealer, Charlton.

Complainant said that on the morning of the 7th inst., about one o'clock, he was at the "Angel Inn," Charlton. Defendant came there and had a glass of beer. He stood at the bar a minute or two, and in consequence of some "chaff," defendant offered to box complainant and another person who stood at the bar. They got to rather high words, and defendant then took him by the collar and bundled him out of the door. On getting outside defendant struck him several times.

Mary Stone, daughter of the landlady of the "Angel Inn," said she saw the defendant come into her house on the morning in question. He had a glass of beer. He stood at the bar, and shortly afterwards some disturbance occurred between him and complainant, when defendant took complainant by the collar and put him outside the door. She did not see what occurred afterwards.

This was the whole of the evidence, and Connors in his defence then said that he did put the complainant out of the door, but he denied assaulting him. He pleaded, in extenuation of his conduct, that complainant threatened to report him, as he was on duty at the time of entering the public-house.

The Mayor, after consulting for a few minutes with the other Justices, said the Bench had determined to dismiss defendant from the force.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday 25 October, 1871.


Vincent Davidson, a labourer in the employ of Mr. Crundall, was charged with assaulting a man named bean, another labourer, at the “Angel Inn,” on the previous Friday.

George Bean, the complainant, said that, on the previous Friday night, at about half-past seven, he went to the “Angel Inn.” The defendant was there, and they had some words. The defendant said he would knock his (the complainant's) eye out, and struck him several times. He did not give him any provocation.

The defendant said he was rather the worse for drink when the assault took place. He was very sorry that he had struck the complainant.

The Magistrates fined him 2s. 6d., and the costs, 10s. which he paid.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 14 September, 1888. Price 1d.


Timothy Keene, and William Cebury, two privates in the Royal Munster Fusiliers, were charged with breaking a pane of plate glass, value 1 17s., and stealing one bottle, value 1d., the property of Edward Harris. The prisoner Cebury, was further charged with being a deserter.

P.C. Lockwood said that morning about one o'clock he was on duty in Bridge Street, when he saw the prisoners. Witness followed them and they went down High Street, and when they got to the “Angel Inn,” he saw the prisoner Cebury break the window with a thistle spud, which he was carrying. He ran after them, and the prisoners were caught by Mr. Harris and P.C. Danson, and were taken to the Police Station.

P.C. Reuben Danson said he was on duty in High Street, about one o'clock that morning, when he heard a smash of glass. He ran up the street and when he got to Wood Street, saw the two prisoners come running down toward him. Someone shouted “Stop them, police,” and he caught hold of prisoner Keene. Mr. Harris then came up and took hold of the other prisoner. When witness took hold of Keene, he asked the other prisoner to give him a stick, and the prisoner Cebury gave him the bottle produced. Keene tried to strike him over the head with the bottle but he took it away. Both of the prisoners had been drinking.

Edward Harris, landlord of the “Angel Inn,” High Street, said he was upstairs about one o'clock that morning when he heard a smash of glass. He hurried downstairs and opened the front door, and the two prisoners were running down the street. He called out “stop them,” and P.C. Danson stopped the two prisoners. The front plate glass window was smashed, and several bottles in the window were broken. The bottle produced was his property and was in the window on Monday. The value of the window was 1 17s., and the bottle 1d.

The Bench fined the prisoners 18s. damages, 5s. fine, and 10s. 6d. costs, in all 1 14ss. Each, or in default 14 day's hard labour.

The prisoner Cedbury, was further charged with being a deserter from the 1st Battallion, Royal Munster Fusiliers.

P.C. Lockwood proved the charge.

The prisoner was ordered to be sent back to his regiment.


Dover Express, Friday 26 August 1927.


"At 11 p.m., on September 2nd the heavy drone of a Gotha awoke most of the people in Dover. It was a beautiful moonlight night, the air being perfectly still. It sounded as if there was only one attacking machine, but a very large number of heavy bombs were dropped at various points, considerably apart in such a few moments, that it would seem that there must have been more than one machine. One of the bombs fell near the camp of the 5th. Battalion of the Royal Fusiliers in Northfall Meadow, killing 2nd-Lieut. Henry Larcombe, and injuring some other soldiers. Another bomb fell in the grounds of Castlemount Hospital, but did not explode. Three fell in the vicinity of Leyburne Rd. One hit the roof of 15 Leyburne Rd. (Guilford Terrace) where Mrs. Capell lived and although there were occupants in the room which was struck they were not hurt. The bomb only partly exploded, wrecking the attic and damaging that of No. 17, next door, and then struck the bay window of No. 17, Leyburne Rd., the residence of the late Colonel McPherson, and striking the ground in front of the basement room, exploded, going 6ft. into the ground. Another bomb fell in the back garden of the eastern end house of Guilford Terrace, an empty house. The third bomb fell on the roof of 18, Castlemount Cottages. The occupants, who were in the room struck had a miraculous escape, only one child, Daisy Warman, being slightly hurt, the bomb expending its force on the side wall of the house which it blew out, leaving the bedroom exposed. At the same time three bombs fell in Charlton. The first was at the rear of Maison Dieu Rd. Post Office, in the square leading to Prospect Cottages. It was a very heavy bomb and made a deep hole, and shattered all the walls around the square. Those injured included Mrs. Sergeant, of 6, Prospect Cottages, and Mrs. Knight. The next bomb fell on the Peter Street end of the saw mill of Messrs. W. Crundall and Company. It completely blew off the roof, the slates falling into Dour St. and on adjoining property. A slight fire was started, but was soon extinguished by the Police Fire Brigade. The third big bomb fell into the garden of the "Angel Inn," High St. The garden is a long one, and the spot where the bomb fell is close to the backs of the houses on the north side of Wood St. The bomb made a very big hole in the soft soil, and did a tremendous amount of damage by concussion to the backs of the houses in Wood St. and High St. People had to be got out of their bed room windows, so badly were the houses knocked about. Three more bombs were dropped on the grass slope just above the Sixty-four Steps. The raid was over in less than two minutes after the first bomb was dropped, and in less than from five to six minutes; after the machine was heard. No warning was given of the attack till it commenced, and no searchlights were in operation or guns fired at the raiders. The helpless state of the town to resist this class of raid began to alarm everyone. The heavy bombs that fell were of a peculiar type, as was found when one that did not explode at Castlemount was dug up. It was in the shape of the projectile of a gun, weighing over 2 cwts., and to make it fall true, iron vanes had been fitted in a very patchwork sort of way. This bomb was afterwards taken to the yard of Messrs. Leney and Company, and the high explosive washed out of it with steam. The next night the siren blew at 10 p.m., but there was no attack on Dover. Chatham, Sheerness and Thanet were attacked. It was in this raid that a bomb fell on the Naval Barracks at Chatham, and killed 331 sailors and injured 90.

On Tuesday September 4th, the shore guns at Dover were engaged in night practice until 10 p.m. At 10.20, without any alarm being given, bombs, which at first were mistaken by many people for the practice firing, commenced to drop the first falling in the Harbour. In the course of less than a minute bombs fell in a line from Pencester Meadow to the Corporation dust dump at Union Rd. As bombs were seen to burst in Biggin St. and Tower Hamlets at the same moment there was, obviously, more than one machine. Again no guns or searchlights were used, and no attempt was made to stop the raiders. The bombs that fell in the town commenced with one in Pencester Meadow in the open. The next hit the roof of Messrs, Tolputt’s timber mill, doing very little damage. The next fell on the roof of Mr. Meadows' establishment in Biggin St., bursting on the back of the premises, the greater part of its force being expended on the houses in Queen's Court. One of these rooms was full of children, who were in bed, and although many fragments of the bomb penetrated into the rooms they fortunately, all missed the occupants. These three bombs were comparatively light ones, probably 50lbs. The next two bombs were of the gun projectile type, and did not explode. The first fell through the roof of Mr. C. T. Long's house at the bottom of Priory Hill, and Mr. H. J. H. Long, his son, was killed by the flying fragments of masonry. The other bomb fell on the back wall of 35, Priory Hill. The vanes of this bomb did not cause it to fall true and the bomb fell on its side, breaking off the fuse and bending the shell of the bomb on its centre. No damage was done, except that a small part of the wall was knocked down. Another bomb fell in the garden of No. 34, Tower Hamlets Rd., but did no damage. The next bomb fell at the back of Nos. 4 and 6, Widred Rd. It was one of the big type, and exploded with tremendous violence. The back walls of the two houses were smashed to atoms, the houses completely wrecked. Mr. Edward Little, 73 years of age, who lived at 4, Widred Rd, was killed; his daughter, Mrs. Minnie Smith, was fatally injured, and her husband, Mr. G. Smith, had his leg broken. Mrs. Voller and her boy were injured, and also Mrs. Hollands of 15, Widred Rd. Two bombs fell in Odo Rd., one in the centre of the road and another on the front part of Mr. Burwood's house, 14, Odo Rd. The first made only a small hole in the road, and it is doubtful if it exploded, and afterwards in the course of a long search, the bomb was traced into an old Dene hole, but could not be found. The bomb that exploded in front of the house, completely blew away the lower part of it, but the upper part, supported by the houses on either side, remained. In these upper rooms were the family, who escaped injury except for a slight one to a child. The next bomb fell in the garden ground at the back of Edred Rd., and did no damage. Another fell in Union Rd. on the roof of No. 55. The occupants had just left the room in which the bomb exploded, and were blown downstairs but were not seriously hurt. The last bomb fell on the Corporation refuse heap at the end of Union Rd."

Further raids followed, but the most severe was on the night of September 24th when German machines flew round Dover for half on hour dropping bombs without the guns or searchlight defences making any attempt to stop them. The then Prime Minister, Mr. Lloyd George, happened to be at Dover that evening, about to cross the Channel, and it is said that it was due to him that this supineness of the defences came to an end, for in the raid on the following night heavy barrage fire was opened at Dover and kept the raiders off. But the effect of the bombing of September 24th and the absence of any defense measures so upset the inhabitants that large numbers left the town, many never to come back to it again.


From the Dover Express, 12 December, 1930.

The "Angel," London Road, was granted an hour's extension for the Slate Club Share Out on December 20th.


Dover Express, Friday 22 September 1939.

Breaches of Blackout Rules.

Frank Doble Penrose, "Angel Inn," High Street, pleaded guilty, and was fined 10s., for allowing a light to be seen at 10.20 p.m. on September 6th.

Chief Inspector Saddleton said that Police Sergeant Dawkins and P.C. Miller saw a strong light coming from the ground floor at the rear of the "Angel Inn." They scaled the wall knocked on the open back door. No one came, so they entered, and found the room empty. They went upstairs, and saw the licensee, who said that a customer went downstairs and must have put the light on.

Defendant said that the customer had no right to go downstairs, but he now drew the curtains before opening in the evening.


Victor Williams the last licensee.



GREEN William 1545 (Unknown address)

SERLIS Francis 1545 (St James' Street)

MATTHEW George 1545 (Chapel Street)


OLIVER Robert 1811

STONE Robert 1862-64

STONE Mary Bateman (daughter of above) 1869 end

Last pub licensee had GEORGE William 1869-78 Post Office Directory 1874

GEORGE Catherine to Aug/1881 dec'd (age 55 in 1881Census) Dover Express

HARRIS Mrs Ann Aug/1881+ Dover Express (executrix to above and widow)

HARRIS Edward 1882-88+ Post Office Directory 1882Dover Express

TOPPING John 1891 Post Office Directory 1891

SARTAIN Peter 1895-96 dec'd Pikes 1895

SARTAIN/HARMER Myra Leila Mrs 1896-Dec/1902  (widow age 40 in 1901Census) Kelly's Directory 1899Post Office Directory 1903Dover Express(Post Office Directory 1903Kelly's 1903 Out dated info?)

Last pub licensee had WIDGEON Edward John Dec/1902-08 Dover Express

MEAD Thomas 1911 (age 51 in 1911Census)

HOBSON H 1911-12

KNIGHT Henry Edward senior 1913-31 dec'd Post Office Directory 1913Post Office Directory 1918Post Office Directory 1922Pikes 1923Pikes 1924Post Office Directory 1930

KNIGHT Henry L junior Next pub licensee had 1932-Jan/38 Pikes 1932-33Dover Express

Last pub licensee had NORRIS Oscar Augustus Jan/1938-Apr/39 Post Office Directory 1938Pikes 1938-39

PENROSE Frank Dobell Apr/1939-40 (age 64 in 1939)


DINNAGE William Marcus 1942

DINNAGE Mrs C K 1945

BYRNE A 1948 Pikes 48-49

SMITH William Charlie June/1948-50+ Dover ExpressKelly's Directory 1950

PETTET Thomas J 1953-54 end Kelly's Directory 1953

WILLIAMS Victor R 1954-69 end Kelly's Directory 1956


Post Office Directory 1874From the Post Office Directory 1874

Post Office Directory 1882From the Post Office Directory 1882

Post Office Directory 1891From the Post Office Directory 1891

Pikes 1895From Pikes Dover Blue Book 1895

Kelly's Directory 1899From the Kelly's Directory 1899

Post Office Directory 1903From the Post Office Directory 1901

Post Office Directory 1903From the Post Office Directory 1903

Kelly's 1903From the Kelly's Directory 1903

Post Office Directory 1913From the Post Office Directory 1913

Post Office Directory 1918From the Post Office Directory 1918

Post Office Directory 1922From the Post Office Directory 1922

Pikes 1923From Pikes Dover Blue Book 1923

Pikes 1924From Pikes Dover Blue Book 1924

Post Office Directory 1930From the Post Office Directory 1930

Pikes 1932-33From Pikes Dover Blue Book 1932-33

Post Office Directory 1938From the Post Office Directory 1938

Pikes 1938-39From Pikes Dover Blue Book 1938-39

Pikes 48-49From Pikes Dover Blue Book 1948-49

Kelly's Directory 1950From the Kelly's Directory 1950

Kelly's Directory 1953From the Kelly's Directory 1953

Kelly's Directory 1956From the Kelly's Directory 1956

Dover ExpressFrom the Dover Express


If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-