|PUB LIST||PUBLIC HOUSES||Paul Skelton|
Earliest reference found so far is in the Wingham Division Ale Licence list, which shows the "Red Lion," Ash, to be re-licensed for the sum of 8 shillings in 1740 indicating that the pub was present before 1740.
In the same list there is also reference to a "Red House" being licensed to a William Joad, so the two are certainly separate and not to be confused with each other.
The confusion continues with yet another two "Red Lions" in Each End and Woodnesborough. Each End being almost exactly half way between the Woodnesborough and Ash. Perhaps all these houses are one and the same, but later research shows not to be so.
TILLEY John 1740+
COLLARD John 1839+
WEST Arthur 1840-58+ (Also saddler)
From Wingham Division Ale Licences 1740 Ref: KAO - QRLV 3/1
From the Pigot's Directory 1839
From the Pigot's Directory 1840
From Bagshaw Directory 1847
From Melville's Directory 1858
If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-