Page Updated:- Saturday, 11 September, 2021.


Earliest 1859

(Name from)

Rose Inn

Latest 1921-


Rose 1910Rose bakers 1923

Above photo left showing the edge of the "Rose Inn" circa 1910.

Photo right, showing the same building as the Rose Bakers, pre-1923.

Former Rose Inn

Above showing the former Rose Inn, now converted into two houses. 2011. Pity the arched windows have been removed.


The premises was only really a beer house, but the licensee took in lodgers as is indicated in the 1881 census.

At one time it has also been referred to as the "Royal Oak."

The premises was situated on the north side of Greenstreet and was close to the "Teynham Arms"

By 1921 the premises had changed into a bakers and confectionary, still called the Rose by name and ran by a F. L. Clark and later purchased by Charles Frank Gambell who also ran it as a bakery.

Later on in years the building operated as a wool shop run by a Miss Smith then Nethercoats sweet shop and tea rooms. Later still Wicks General Grocers, but today it has been converted into two houses.


Maidstone Telegraph, Rochester and Chatham Gazette, Saturday 15 December 1860.


At the petty sessions on Thursday, George Jemmett, of the "Brents," near Faversham, was fined 10s. and costs for keeping his house open at improper hours on 23rd October last.

James Sills, landlord of the "Rose" beer-house, Greenstreet, was also fined 10s. and costs for a similar offence.


1891 the census for Green Street Teynham

“Henry Burnett, 40, general labourer & publican of “Rose Inn”, wife Mary Ann 32, son Henry J, 14, railway station clerk, James B Duncan, father-in-law, widower, 74, shoemaker + 1 lodger. In 1881 Henry was a police constable in Teynham”.


From the Whitstable Times and Herne Bay Herald - 3rd December 1898


On Saturday last the Deputy Coroner, Mr. C. B. Harris, held an inquest in the Board Room at the Faversham Workhouse on the body of Charles Skinsley, a drover who died on the previous Wednesday under somewhat distressing circumstances.- Mr. C. Whittle was chosen foreman of the jury.

Willis Symonds, a bootmaker, residing at 41, East Street, Sittingbourne, deposed that he had known the deceased for a great many years. He was a drover and unable to do any laborious work on account of being badly ruptured. He was a native of South Ockenden, Essex, and was usually known as Charles Peace. He last saw deceased alive at Sittingbourne on the previous Saturday night, when he was in his usual health.

Henry Pilcher, landlord of the "Rose Inn," Greenstreet, said that on Sunday last deceased came to his house and engaged lodgings. He was in a "mopsy" state through the effects of drink, and went to bed between seven and eight o'clock. He stayed in bed all day on Monday, and when he (witness) went to rouse him all he said was "all right". On Tuesday morning, as deceased appeared to be very unwell, witness sent for Dr. Selby, who gave him a paper to take to Mr. Porter, the Relieving Officer. He had known the deceased for 20 years, and he had always gone by the name of Charley Peace. Witness believed deceased slept out in the open air on Saturday night as he found him in the gutter in Teynham Lane about a quarter to seven on Sunday morning.

Mr. Harry T. Porter, Relieving Officer, stated that on the previous Tuesday the last witness brought him a note from Dr. Selby to the effect that a man named Charles Peace was suffering from tetanus, and that he should be removed to the Workhouse Infirmary at once. Witness procured a cab and removed the man who although unable to speak was not unconscious.

Nurse Togan, having given evidence as to receiving the deceased into the Infirmary, Dr. Gange, Medical Officer of the Workhouse, stated that on Tuesday afternoon the Master sent for him stating that a man who had just been admitted into the House was dying from tetanus. Witness found deceased in a comatose state. He could not speak or put out his tongue, and he failed to understand anything. Witness examined him and could not discern any signs of tetanus. He died at about five o'clock on Wednesday afternoon. Witness made a careful examination of the body and failed to find any bruises with the exception of a slight place on the right elbow. He had since, with the assistance of his son, made a post-mortem examination, and on opening deceased's head found the brain very much congested. On the anterior part of the brain there were two very large extravasations of blood. The actual cause of death was apoplexy or congestion of the brain, and it was no doubt accelerated by drink. He should say that the deceased was from 50 to 55 years of age.

The jury returned a verdict in accordance with the medical evidence.


Dover Express, Friday 09 February 1906.


The Faversham County Bench of Magistrates gave notice at their meeting on Thursday that they should object to the renewal of the following licenses:- The "Dolphin", "Three Squirrels," the "Ship" ale houses at Boughton; the "Swan" ale house at Lynsted; the "Crown" ale house and the "Mayor's Arms" beer-houses at Ospringe; the "Rose" beer-house at Teynham; the "Scots Greys" beer house at Throwley; and the beer off-license held by Mr. Philpott at Davington.


From the Canterbury Journal and Farmers' Gazette, Saturday 6 October, 1906.


In this case Mr. Roper appeared for the owners and tenants, and Mr. H. Hohler represented the Licensing Justices.

Police Sergeant Nye of Ospringe, stated that the house was in close proximity to other licensed houses. The population of the parish was 1,839 and there were six licenced houses. The "Rose" was in good structural condition, but it appeared to do very little trade. In witness's opinion there were too many licensed houses in the street.

Mr. Roper called James Medhurst, who stated that at the time the licence was reported he was the tenant, but now his wife was the tenant. They took in lodgers. The trade of the house included from two to two and a half barrels week.

Stephen George, builder and registrar of births and deaths for the district, gave the house a good character and said he thought it was necessary for the needs of the district.

James Richard Post, hairdresser, of Teynham, stated he thought the house was necessary.

The Bench granted the renewal of this license.



SILLS James 1860+

SILLS Sarah 1871+ (age 59 in 1871Census)

BURDOT Sarah Ann 1881+ (widow age 44 in 1881Census) (Beer Retailer)

BURNETT Henry 1891+ Census (Also general labourer)

RAYNER Edward 1903-04+ Kelly's 1903

MEDHURST James 1906

MEDHURST Mrs (wife) 1906

MUSHAM John Henry April/1906-11+



Kelly's 1903From the Kelly's Directory 1903


If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-