Sort file:- Dover, March, 2021.

Page Updated:- Wednesday, 31 March, 2021.

PUB LIST PUBLIC HOUSES Barry Smith and Paul Skelton

Earliest 1865-

(Name from)

Prince of Wales

Latest 1970

Fishmongers Lane (Butchery Lane)


Prince of Wales

Above picture date unknown. The one below, shows the same place taken from Google maps June 2009.

Place of Prince of Wales.


Still a beerhouse in 1939 but fully licensed at the end. Earlier, up to 1848 or even later, it had been "The Fishing Boat". Under the later sign it was always referred to as "The Feathers". That inn sign, by the way, was purloined within hours of the pub closing and I do not recall it ever turning up again.


From the Dover Express and East Kent Intelligencer, 4 June, 1864.


James Longley, a private of the 13th Regiment, was charged by Police-sergeant Bailey with being drunk and disorderly in Fishmongers' Lane, on the previous evening, and with assaulting the police in the execution of his duty.

Sergeant Bailey said he was called by the landlady of the "Prince of Wales," Fishmongers' Lane, to remove the prisoner, who was creating a disturbance in front of her house. When he reached the spot he found the prisoner with his belt off, and a large mob collected around him. Prisoner said that two girls who were in the "Prince of Wales," had stolen 5s. from him, and he meant to get the money back again. Witness told prisoner that he must move on, but he would not, and witness, with assistance, then took him to the top of the Lane, expecting to find a picket to convey him to his barracks. A picket could not be found, however, and the prisoner becoming violent it was found necessary to remove him to the station-house. On the way thither he kicked savagely at the constable and at the station-house he ran at witness and butted him.

A man named Grubb, who saw the commencement of the affair, said that the prisoner had been treated with unnecessary violence by the police.

Sergeant Bailey denied that this was the case, and called George Illenden, baker, Charlton, who said he saw the police take the prisoner into custody. He never saw a man behave so roughly as the prisoner, and he considered the police were fully justified in using the rather rough means they resorted to in getting the prisoner to the station-house.

Mr. Finnis (to prisoner): Why didn't you go away when the police told you to go?

Prisoner: I hadn't time to look around me, Sir, before I was upset, and kicked in the face by a policeman.

Police-constable Bell said he saw the prisoner standing outside the "Prince of Wales" beer-house, prisoner had his belt in his hand, and on witness telling him to move on he said he would not until he (witness) had been into the "Prince of Wales" and fetched two girls out who had robbed him of 5s. Witness went into the house, but no girls were to be found there. He told prisoner so, but he still persisted that the girls were in the house, and would no go away.

The Bench considered the case a very simple one. An assault on the police, although not very serious, had been clearly established; and they thought the case would be met by fining the prisoner 1s. and the costs 6s., or in default seven days' imprisonment.

Prisoner: I hope you wont sent me to prison.

Superintendent Coram said there was no desire to press the charge.

Mr. Finnis (to prisoner): Very well, then, as the police do not wish to press the charge, you will be dismissed, but you must understand that if you are again brought here for assaulting the police you will be punished to the utmost extent of the law.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday 11 October, 1878


William Murray was charged with having in his possession, in St. James' Street, one tunic and one pair of trousers, the property of the Crown.

James Dolphin (should be Dawkins) said: I am landlord of the “Prince of Wales” public-house. The prisoner came to my house about 9 a.m. yesterday with another man and an artilleryman. They remained about half-an-hour. Some of them went into the back-yard. Only my wife and myself were in the house. I refused to draw them anymore beer as they had had enough. Sometime afterwards I went into the back-yard and there found there an artilleryman's cap and belt, which I took to the Police-station.

James Sedgewick said: I am a general dealer. I know these clothes. The prisoner brought them to me yesterday morning about ten o'clock. He asked if I would buy them. A soldier, prisoner and another civilian came in about half-an-hour before and brought a pair of trousers and a cap. It was the second time prisoner came that he wanted to sell these clothes. I asked if they were all right, and one of them said they were. I knew the prisoner had been a soldier. I bought the clothes for 4s. 6d. I met prisoner again in the afternoon and he said he thought they were one of the Reserve's clothes.

Sergeant Haynes said: I belong to the Marines, stationed at Walmer. I have examined the clothes and found that they belong to a man named Johnson, who is absent without leave.

Police-constable Harry Suters said: Yesterday afternoon, about 4 o'clock, I was on duty at the Police-station, and from information I received I went into Castle Street and there saw the prisoner, who was pointed out ton me by the last witness as the man who sold him the clothes. I went up to the prisoner and told him I should have to take him into custody for having in his possession military clothing. He then said, I am sorry I have got into this mess.”

Prisoner was fine 5 19s., in default went to prison for one month.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 19 June, 1891. Price 1d.


On the application of Mr. Hatton Brown, permission to draw  at the “Prince of Wales,” Fishmonger's Lane, was given to Mr. G. H. Spinner.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 12 January, 1900.


James Stephens was charged with being drunk on licensed premises, i.e., the “Prince of Wales” beer-house, Fishmonger's Lane, and also with refusing to quite the same.

George Henry Colbreay, who keeps the above house, said the prisoner came into his house the previous evening about a quarter past seven, and asked for some beer. He was drunk, and therefore witness refused to serve him. Witness tried to get him to leave the house, but he refused and used obscene language. Witness sent for a Policeman, and on Police Sergeant Lockwood arriving he put him out.

Prisoner admitted that he was drunk, and remembered nothing.

Police Sergeant Lockwood said he was called to the “Prince of Wales public house by the landlord. There he found the prisoner stripped naked to the waist, with his clothes on the floor. He was drunk, and whilst using obscene language offered to fight any one who was there. After the prisoner refused to leave, witness and landlord put the prisoner's shirt on, and then witness ejected him. Outside prisoner became so violent that witness took him in custody. In King Street he had to be thrown and handcuffed.

Prisoner said he had been in Dover three years, and had not been before the Bench previously. He was formerly a miner, but then working at Pearson's.

The Bench fined prisoner 10s., or seven days in default. He asked for time, but Captain Cay said it was a very bad case, and the bench refused to give him time.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday 13 July, 1900. 1d.


The Superintendent said that there had been a good many complaints recently of singing by the navvies who frequented the house, to the annoyance of the neighbours. There was no license for singing.

Mr. Playfoot said he would like to have a license, it would keep the men quiet.

Mr. Vidler: Do you think so?

The license of the "Old Commercial Quay Inn" was transferred from Mr. H. S. Maslin to Mr.  G. Colbreay.

Mr. Vidley asked him what he had to say about the singing complained of at the "Prince of Wales?"

Mr. Colbreay said it was his first house, and he had tried to keep it as quiet as possible.

The Superintendent said that when he first complained to Mr. Colbreay of this singing soon after he went in, he told him that he had had a discussion with his wife whether it should be a soldiers' house or a navvies' house, and they decided to make it the latter. To do this they had an opening night, and gave the men a barrel of beer, and this made them sing. He promised after that the men should be kept quiet, but having once begun singing they kept it up.

Captain Cay: Are the navvies musical?

Mt. Colbreay: Yes, you get some of the best songs out of them.

Captain Cay: Are they sober?

Mr. Colbreay: Directly a man who has had too much drink sets foot over my doorsill he goes out again.

The "Old Commercial Quay Inn" is licensed for music, so that the singing question will not crop up there.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday 15 May, 1925. Price 1d.


A tragic suicide associated with Dover was the subject of an inquest held at Grantham on Thursday as to the death of Mr. George Wearmouth, who was a member of the Town band many years ago and held the licence of the “Prince of Wales” public house, Fishmonger Lane, for sixteen years.

Evidence was given that since Friday last he had been lodging at Grantham, Lincolnshire, with a Mr. J. T. Asher, of Westgate, Grantham. On Monday evening he went into an outhouse and cut his throat with a razor.

Thomas Wearmouth, a miner, of Durham, gave evidence that his brother was a musician, but when he married he became a publican and had a house at Dover from 1899 to 1916. Upon his wife's death in 1916 he gave up the public house and lived with witness for nine months, and appeared to brood very much. He then went to Deal and took a public house there, but became very depressed and in 1922 made an attempt on his life by trying to drown himself. Deceased gave up his business in Deal and went to live with witness again, and stayed with him for sixteen months. Witness saw him five weeks ago for the last time and the deceased was then in good spirits. Since then he knew nothing of his whereabouts. He had been subject to fits of depression since his wife's death.

Mr. J. T. Asher said that the deceased came to lodge with him last week. He did not know anything about him, but he thought he was a nice sociable fellow. On Monday deceased went out to the back yard, and as he did not return a search was made, and he was found in the outhouse with his throat cut and a razor beside him.

The Coroner returned a verdict of suicide whilst of unsound mind, and said that the deceased's mind became unhinged after his wife's death.



In 1936, a disused slaughter house next door was annexed to expand the premises and remedy deficiencies laid down by the health authorities.


From the Dover Express and East Kent news, 9 October 1942.

At the Dover Police Court on Monday, the license of the "Prince of Wales," Fishmongers' Lane, was transferred from the Secretary of the brewery Company to Mrs. Cordelia Ann Field, who is re-opening the premises.


From the Dover Express and East Kent news, 22 April, 1966.


A motorcycle left running outside the cellar door of his public house worried licensee Mr. John Giles. He thought the fumes would upset customers in his saloon bar and would get into the beer.

So, Mr. Giles left the "Prince of Wales" 1a Fishmongers Lane, and told the police about it. When he returned he switched the machine off.

Just about closing time that night, Mr. Giles heard the machine starting up again and saw some policemen outside. So he went out for a few moments to see what was going on.

While he was outside, Dover Magistrates were told on Friday someone rifled his till stealing 14 in notes.

Before the court charged with stealing the money was 24 year old Thomas Short of 35 St, David's Avenue. He pleased not guilty but the case was proved and he was fined 20 with 2 10s expenses.

D.C. Ian Bedford said he was called to the public house and questioned Short about the money.

And, said D.C. Bedford, Short produced a handful of notes from his trouser pocket. He started to search Short and subsequently the man produced another handful of notes.

Short said the first handful was his National Assistance money. The second handful, he said was his "winnings on the horses."

Short said in court that he followed the licensee outside the public house. Mr. Giles had rushed past him and he went outside as well.

Mr. Richard Henderson, of 83 Beaufoy Road, said he was with Short in the public house that evening. He said that Short went outside with him when they heard the noise of the motorcycle the second time.


From the Dover Express and East Kent news, 6 February 1970.


Believed to be one of Dover's oldest public houses, the "Prince of Wales" in Fishmongers Lane, off Market Square, is closing at the end of the month.

From the Dover Express and East Kent news, 6 February 1970.


Prince of Wales licensees 1970

Nearing their last days at the "Prince of Wales" before its closure are landlord Mr. Alfred Thomas and his wife Anna, pictures as their regulars usually see them across the bar.

It's always a shame when parts of Dover have to come down, but when it's in the cause of progress, I suppose it's all worthwhile.

The instance making me a bit sad at the moment is the imminent closure of the "Prince of Wales" pub in Fishmongers Lane, just off the Market Square. The hostelry, affectionately known as the "Feathers" is one of Dover's oldest. Now it is to come down.

Landlord Mr. Alfred Thomas and his wife Anna have been at the "Prince of Wales" for three years - it was their first pub. Now they are to take over the "King Lear" at Aycliffe.

Before we went into the licensing trade, Alfred, originally a Chatham man, worked for Dover Corporation. His wife, a Dover girl, was a nurse.

The pub is believed to have been called the "Fishing Boat" at one time in its history going back many years.

The last week is going to be marked by the knocking down of the 'penny pile' collected for cancer research on 20th February.


From the Dover Express and East Kent news, 20 February 1970.


Prince of Wales penny toppling

Over it goes....the pile of pennies collected for cancer research at the "Prince of Wales" in Fishmonger's Lane was pushed over on Friday by Southern TV's announcer, Mr. John Anthony. Mrs. Anna Thomas, wife of the licensee, keeps a close eye on the toppling coppers, which amounted to 21 15s. The pub is due to close at the end of the month.



The end of February 1970 saw it as just another loss and the property was taken down in June 1974.



Last pub licensee had NORMAN Christopher 1865

DAWKINS James Mar/1877-Jan/1880 Next pub licensee had Dover Express

WRAIGHT George Jan/1880+ Dover Express (former tenant of house

DUNN John 1891+ (also carpenter age 41 in 1891Census)

SPINNER George Henry June/1891-95 Pikes 1895Dover Express

WRIGHT William 1899 (beer retailer Fishmongers' Lane) Kelly's Directory 1899

COLBREAY George Horace 1899-July/1900 Next pub licensee had Dover Express

PLAYFOOT Walter July/1901+ Dover ExpressPost Office Directory 1903 (Licensed victualler from Cranbrook)

SOUGHTON/SOUTON/LOUGHTON  Henry Mr to Aug/1901 (age 49 in 1901Census) Dover Express

WEARMOUTH George Aug/1901-17 (age 54 in 1911Census) Dover Express (Musician)

KING Peter W A 1917-Aug/24 Pikes 1924Dover Express beer house

PINDER William Edward Aug/1924-38 end Dover ExpressPikes 1932-33Pikes 1938-39

McVEIGH John 13 Jan 1939-41 end (Beer-house Dover Express)

(McVeigh was from the Grosevenor Arms London E1)

FIELD Mrs Cordelia Ann 1942 and 1950-56+ Kelly's Directory 1950Kelly's Directory 1953Kelly's Directory 1956

FIELD C F 1948+ Pikes 48-49

CRITCHLEY Iris 1961+ (Widow of Brin from "Castle")

GILES John C 1964-66

THOMAS Alfred C 1967-70 Next pub licensee had


Pikes 1895From Pikes Dover Blue Book 1895

Kelly's Directory 1899From the Kelly's Directory 1899

Post Office Directory 1903From the Post Office Directory 1901

Pikes 1924From Pikes Dover Blue Book 1924

Pikes 1932-33From Pikes Dover Blue Book 1932-33

Pikes 1938-39From Pikes Dover Blue Book 1938-39

Pikes 48-49From Pikes Dover Blue Book 1948-49

Kelly's Directory 1950From the Kelly's Directory 1950

Kelly's Directory 1953From the Kelly's Directory 1953

Kelly's Directory 1956From the Kelly's Directory 1956

Dover ExpressFrom the Dover Express



If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-