Sort file:- Dover, March, 2021.

Page Updated:- Wednesday, 31 March, 2021.

PUB LIST PUBLIC HOUSES Barry Smith and Paul Skelton

Earliest 1866

Pimlico Tavern

Latest 1874

(Name to)

21 Oxenden Street

27 Oxenden Street



Present in 1866 October 1874 the name changed to "Duke of Connaught". It belonged to Page up to 1874.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 20 March, 1868.


Another inquest was held on Monday, before W. H. Payn, Esq., coroner, at the "Pimlico Tavern," Oxenden Street, on the body of Sarah Ann Gates, a child aged five months, who died on the previous day. The following evidence was adduced:-

Emma Gates, who resides at Medway Cottages, at the back of Oxenden Street, said the deceased was her daughter, and was five months old. The child was healthy from its birth, and she had suckled it up to the time of its death. The child appeared well until Friday last, when she could not keep her food down, and this continued all day on the Saturday. On the Sunday morning, about half-past five, when she woke up the child was still at the breast, but as it did not seem to move she shook it to see if it were alive. The child opened its eyes, and she then asked a fellow lodger, Mrs. Morton, to take it. She did so and said the child was dying. The child died without a struggle. Mrs. Morton and another person named Atkerson were present when the child died. Witness had given the child only its usual food - no syrup and no medicines. A doctor was sent for, and Mr. Walter attended at ten minutes past six, when he examined the child, but did not say the cause of death. Witness did not know the cause of death. The child had no cold or illness, and she was sure no one in the house gave the child anything but herself. She was sure she did not lie on the child.

Mr. John Walter, surgeon, residing and practising in Dover, said that on Sunday morning at six o'clock he was sent for, to see a child in Medway Cottages. He attended immediately, and found a female child dead. He examined the child, but found no marks on the body, which appeared to be well nourished. The probably cause of death was, he should say, over distension of the stomach, caused by sucking at the breast, as no doubt the child had been sucking all night at intervals.

The jury returned a verdict accordingly.


From the Dover Express and East Kent Intelligencer, 24 September, 1869. Price 1d.


Isobella Steed was charged with stealing  one sovereign, the property of Edward Chad, a soldier belonging to the 17th Brigade Royal Artillery, stationed in this garrison.

Edward Chad said he was in the "Pimlico Tavern," Hawkesbury Street, on Saturday afternoon, between one and two o'clock. he had in his pocket a sovereign, which was wrapped up in a piece of paper. Witness felt the prisoner draw her hand out of his pocket, while he was standing near her, and she then ran away. On putting his hand into his pocket he missed the sovereign, and he at once gave information to the police. Prisoner had left the house about twenty minutes, when he came back. Witness asked her what she had done with the money, when she told him that he could not have it.

Elizabeth Lamberton, a married woman, said she lived at the "Pimlico Tavern," Hawkesbury Street. She knew the prisoner by sight, and saw him in her house on Saturday in company with the last witness, between one and three in the afternoon. The soldier and the prisoner came in together. They left the house together, and the prisoner came back in about ten minutes afterwards, and asked witness to change a sovereign for her. Witness complied, and gave her half-a-sovereign, and ten shillings in silver.

Police-constable George Harmer said that, in consequence of information he received on Saturday, he apprehended the prisoner at twenty minutes past four, and, told her the charge. She at first denied, but afterwards admitted that she had taken the sovereign and spent it. The prosecutor was sober when he saw him.

Prisoner pleaded guilty, and the Magistrates committed her to prison for a month with hard labour.


From the Dover Express. 1870.

Un-Lady like Conduct.

Mary Skinning a young lady in a hat and feathers and a cloud, was summoned for assaulting Mary Ann Scott. The complainant said she lived in Oxenden Street. On Friday afternoon she went into the Pimlico Tavern to refresh herself with a pint of beer. Whilst there the defendant quarrelled with another girl and witness was horrified at the epithets which she applied to her. She endeavoured to expostulate with the defendant when the latter turned upon her and struck her in the eye and upon the shoulder and kicked her upon the leg. Witness declared solemnly that she never gave any provocation. In addition to the assault on Friday the defendant on meeting her the next day threw some beer into her face from a can she was carrying and on meeting her on the railway bridge in Limekiln Street after the summons had been served upon her she insulted witness and declared she would “swing” for her.

The defendant did not deny the assault but said she was provoked by the complainant who was a woman of the same class as herself and in the habit of offering provocation to everyone with whom she came in contact. The magistrates fined Miss. Skinner 1s and the costs in all half a guinea, which she paid.


Information kindly supplied by Joyce Banks.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 10 November, 1871. Price 1d.


A young man, names George Bowditch, who appeared to be about 17 years of age, and who described himself as a midshipman in the merchant service, of Great Titchford Street, London, was charged with stealing from the shop of William Fuller, a general dealer, of Chapel Lane, Dover, one gold lace sash, valued at 2 2s.

Georgina Fuller deposed: I live at Nos. 3 and 4, Chapel Lane. My husband's name is William Fuller. I know the sash produced; it belongs to my husband. The last time I saw the sash was between seven and eight o'clock the night before last. I saw it in the window of our shop, where I had put it myself about an hour previously. I saw the prisoner in our shop twice during the day. I did not miss the sash till the following morning, when I gave information to the police of the loss. The value of it I can't say, but it cost Mr. Fuller 2 5s.

The Clerk (to prisoner): Have you anything to ask this witness?

No, sir.

Alfred John Martin deposed: I am a tailor, and I live in Snargate Street. The prisoner came into my shop on Thursday evening, about half-past eight, and brought the item now produced. He said it belonged to an old thing his grandfather used to wear, and as he did not want to keep it he wanted to sell it, so I gave him 3s for it. He gave the name of “Mr. Cleveland,” and said he resided at 16, Castle Street. I mentioned the circumstances to Mr. Corson the same night, so as to be certain. The next morning I went to look for the prisoner, but could not find him. I went home about twelve o'clock and found him sitting in the shop. I said I was going to fetch some money, and told my young man to watch him. I then went for a policeman. The constable George Harman, came with me and took prisoner into custody.

Police-constable George Harman deposed: I am a borough constable. In consequence of information I received, I went to Mr. Martin's shop about a quarter past twelve, and there I found the prisoner. I told him I should have to take him into custody for stealing the sash from the shop of Mr. Fuller. He had it tied up in his handkerchief in the breast pocket, and he said, “I did take it.” I then took him to the station. The piece of sash now produced is what he had in his pocket.

On the charge being read over to prisoner, he said, “I am guilty of it, sir.”

The landlord of the “Pimloco Tavern,” Oxenden Street, here came forward and told the Bench that the prisoner had been staying at his house since he had been in Dover. He had always behaved himself in a very proper manner. He said he was a midshipman; his friends were well off, and supplied him with money.

Prisoner (to witness): I am much obliged to you.

Mr. Coram (the Chief Constable), in reply to a question from the bench, said: I don't know anything more against the prisoner than that he has been in Dover for three months; but I find that he has made away with his watch and chain and other little things.

Prisoner: Circumstances brought me to that, sir.

Mr. Rees: Have you any statement to make?

Prisoner: No, sir.

Mr. Rees: The Bench are extremely sorry to see such a young man. So well educated, and apparently occupying a respectable station in society, placed in such a position, and the decision is, that you be imprisoned for one month.

Mr. Rees (to Mr. Martin): The Bench wish to express their approbation of the manner in which you have acted in this manner.

Mr. Martin: Thank you, sir.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 6 March, 1874. Price 1d.


Important sale of an old-established and well-arranged BREWERY, together with 13 Freehold and Leasehold Public and Beer-houses, a Private Residence, Malt-house, Stabling, &c.

WORSFOLD, HAYWARD, & Co. Have received instructions from the Trusteee of the Estate of Mr. G. S. Page (in liquidation by arrangement, in connection with the Mortgagees, to Sell by Auction, at the “Royal Oak Hotel,” Dover, on Tuesday, 24th March, 1874, at three o'clock precisely, in one or right lots, the following important and Valuable Property.

LOT 7.

A Commodious and well arranged Leasehold Public-house, known as the “Pimloco,” Oxenden Street.




LAMBERTON James Charles 1866

WOODWARD John Sept/1871+ Dover Express


Dover ExpressFrom the Dover Express


If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-