Page Updated:- Monday, 04 September, 2023.


Earliest 1784

Good Intent

Latest 1863

(Name to)

Sandown (Sandwich)

Also North End (Deal)

From the East Kent Mercury, 24th November, 1981

Above picture shows the "Good Intent" public house, which stood near Sandown Castle, where, in fact, the "Sandown Castle" public house now stands. From the picture (circa 1860) it appears the pub is closed and boarded up, but a workman has a bottle of stout to drink.

Sandown Castle and Good Intent pub 1863

Above postcard kindly sent to me by Lee Jones, showing the "Good Intent" on the left, 1863.

Above photo 1884.


Pigots Directory mentions the "Good Intent" near to Sandown Castle in 1824.

The Deal Licensing Records of 1828 refer to it as an alehouse.

The text Good Intent (P.H.) is shown on Kent Sheet 58.04 (LVIII.16 on the reverse of LVIII.4) being a reprint of ‘First Edition 1873' Old Ordnance Survey Maps published by Alan Godfrey Maps.

Located on coastal and south side of ruins of Sandown Castle.

Patricia Streater.


Sandown Castle Parting Shot painting

Above painting date unknown titled "Parting Shot." The view point is roughly from Walmer Castle Road in upper Walmer with Walmer Castle to the right, the Deal castle adjacent to the town. Sandown castle is in the distance beyond the town. The "Good Intent" would have been between the two castles near to the Sandown Castle.


Southeastern Gazette, 13 September 1853.


Aug. 28. at Deal, Mary, relict of the late Mr. John Harden, shoemaker, and formerly of the "Good Intent," Sandown, Deal, aged 66 years.


From the Kentish Gazette, Tuesday 16 September, 1856.


The sea has been gaining upon Sandown Castle of late years. Within the memory of persons still living, the moat extended all round the fabric, with a considerable quantity of beach to the eastward, between it and the sea. In 1807, however, the moat was so injured by the waves, that it was found necessary to contract the walls, and leave the castle open to the beach to the east. Now the sea washes the main building every tide, and at time of high water there is seven or eight feet immediately in front of the castle. To protect the building the Ordnance have lately put down groins, which seem to do no good to the castle, but have had the effect of throwing the surf by re-action on to the coast, to the southward of the castle, so that the whole of the embankment, from Sandown Terrace to the "Good Intent," has disappeared, opposite which a small remaining slope only intervenes between the sea and the adjoining lands, which are considerably below high-water mark; and when it is considered that there is a gradual slope from this point to the north end of the town, which is upon a still lower level, the danger impending the neighbourhood is sufficiently obvious. Should there be a N.W. gale occurring at the time of spring tides, no one can tell the amount of loss to life and property. The Government say that, having attempted to protect the castle, they have done their duty; and the strongest of all is, that the local authorities, whom a public meeting have implored to strengthen the weakest part of the shore in a temporary manner before another winter sets in, have resolved, by a majority of one, to consider the question this day six months.


From the Deal, Walmer and District and Kingsdown Telegram. 9 May, 1863.

Petty Sessions

Archibald Hewiston applied to change the sign of the "Good Intent" public house, Sandown to the "Castle Inn" on transfer from Luke Jarvis.



Title deeds list this building as 1784.



HAYMAN Thomas 1804 (St. Leonards Records)

KAGMAN Thomas 1804+

BROOKER John 1823-28+ Pigot's Directory 1823Pigot's Directory 1824Pigot's Directory 1828-29Deal Licensing Register

BROKER Mrs 1832-39+ Pigot's Directory 1832-34Pigot's Directory 1839

GARDNER Charles 1840+ Pigot's Directory 1840

HARDEN John pre 1853

JARVIS Daniel 1847+ Bagshaw's Directory 1847

JARVIS Luke to 61-May/1863 (age 54 in 1861Census)

Changed name to the "Castle."


Pigot's Directory 1823From the Pigot's Directory 1823

Pigot's Directory 1824From the Pigot's Directory 1824

Pigot's Directory 1828-29From the Pigot's Directory 1828-29

Pigot's Directory 1832-34From the Pigot's Directory 1832-33-34

Pigot's Directory 1839From the Pigot's Directory 1839

Bagshaw's Directory 1847From Bagshaw Directory 1847

Deal Licensing RegisterDeal Licensing Register



If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-