|PUB LIST||PUBLIC HOUSES||Paul Skelton|
|East Cliff Tavern||
13-15 East Cliff
Dating back to 1862 when the house was granted a "beer-on" licence, but only occupied number 13 at the time, and in 1879 the premises acquired the spirit licence after the local neighbourhood put up a petition saying the nearest fully licensed house was quite a walk away.
1885, after Joseph Saunders took the reigns, the pub was enlarged by purchasing next door at number 15, and converted the then living room into a smoking room. Canterbury brewer George Beer took an interest in the pub during his time between 1885 and 1898 but eventually amalgamated with Faversham brewers Rigdens to become George beer and Rigden in 1922. 1949 saw them taken over by Fremlins and 1967 by Whitbread. Today 2010, the premises is a Freehouse, changing to that in 1989. Current licensee (2010) Richard Parks whose mother Violet Parks, one time licensee of the "Harbour Inn" married Horace Brickell, the longest reigning licensee of the house, to date.
The pub also has a sweet counter for local children as there are no longer any shops nearby that supply local children with such luxuries.
DANES William 1862-85
SAUNDERS Joseph Sidney 1885-98
GRIGG John Galley 1898-1906
PRICE Martin Grey 1906-18
PRICE Mary Ann 1918-19
PRICE Martin Grey 1919-27
TWIGG John Worrell 1927-47
FRASER John 1947-52
MARTIN Edward 1952-56
LUCAS Gilbert 1956-67
BRICKELL Horace 1967-Jan/2004 dec'd
PARKS Richard 2004-2010+
From the Kelly's Directory 1899
From the Kelly's Directory 1934
More Tales from the Tap Room by Easdown and Rooney
From More Bastions of the Bar by Easdown and Rooney
If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-
LINK to Even More Tales From The Tap Room