Sort file:- Dover, July, 2020.

Page Updated:- Wednesday, 22 July, 2020.

PUB LIST PUBLIC HOUSES Barry Smith and Paul Skelton

Earliest Aug 1847

Cumberland Hotel

Latest 1848+

Union Street (Snargate Street over the Water)

Rope Walk Bagshaw's Directory 1847

Near the Wellington Bridge



The original "Duke of Cumberland" was built at the seaward end on Union Street.


It stood there in the eighteenth century but disappeared about 1844 when the tidal harbour was enlarged. The house we are now discussing, and this may be an abbreviated version of the title, was said to be on the corner of Union Street but was sometimes addressed 'Esplanade'. Bagshaw's Directory Bagshaw's Directory 1847 states its address as Rope Walk and the name just Cumberland.


From the Dover Telegraph and Cinque Ports General Advertiser, Saturday, 1 November, 1845. Price 5d.


John Gregory, bricklayer, charged with an assault on Silas Fidge. Plaintiff, a lad about 12 years of age, stated that on Sunday he was standing on the quay opposite Messrs. Latham's Bank, when defendant came up and struck him a severe blow in the eye with a stick, and afterwards hit him on the arms. Gregory, in his defence, said that he was employed in building the new public-house in Union Street, and was much annoyed by boys throwing his bricks into the bridge-way. On Sunday last, being on the watch, he saw five boys throwing bricks into the water, who ran away, and thinking plaintiff was one of them, admitted that he struck him, but did not think he did so in the eye. At the suggestion of the Bench, the case was settled out of Court.

(I believe the above pub mentioned is this one. Paul Skelton.)


From the Dover Telegraph and Cinque Ports General Advertiser, Saturday, 21 August, 1847. Price 5d.


Monday: This was the day appointed for the annual renewal of the publicans' licences, when the whole of those applied for were granted, and a new licence given to Mr. Winterbourne, for the “Cumberland Inn,” on the Esplanade.


From the Dover Telegraph and Cinque Ports General Advertiser, Saturday, 26 September, 1846. Price 5d.


On Thursday evening, at seven o'clock, an inquest was held at the “Cumberland,” corner of Union Street, before G. T. Thompson, Esq., the Coroner for the Borough of Dover, on the body of Robert Ebbett, mariner, who was found dead early in the morning in a boat called the Jane, lying on the beach opposite the Esplanade. The Jury having appointed Mr. W. M. Wood foreman, they proceeded to view the body, and on their return the following evidence was given:-

John Reader, mariner: I believe that deceased was in distressed circumstances. Yesterday morning Mosely Adams and another took passengers off to a steamer, and we then saw deceased near the mail-packet look-out house; he was sitting in a boat, cold and shivering; and when we shared our embarkation money we gave him 8d., and had 6d. each for ourselves. Deceased was subject to strong convulsive fits, at which times great assistance was required to hold him. He has often sailed with me, but my crew left on account of his being subject to fits.

Richard Griffin, mariner: I knew deceased, and considered him lately to be almost starved. I have seen him pick up potato peelings and eat them; and I know that he has slept in boats for some nights past, being too poor to pay for a lodging. In consequence of his being subject to fits no one would employ him.

James Little, mariner: At half-past eight this morning, while conversing with a man named Perkins, I saw deceased lying in a boat, covered over with a sail. From a remark made by Perkins, who saw him in the same position at 5 o'clock in the morning, I went to the deceased, and called him by name; but not receiving an answer, I removed the covering, and found he was dead. I immediately gave information to Mr. Corrall. I saw deceased yesterday, when he appeared ill and dejected.

Charity Ebbett, sister to the deceased, deposed to his being subject to fits, and that he was 47 years of age. He had lately been very destitute, and she had not seen him for a fortnight.

Verdict: Died by the visitation of God.


From the Dover Telegraph and Cinque Ports General Advertiser, Saturday 29 January, 1848. Price 5d.



On Monday last an inquest was held before G. T. Thompson, Esq., Coroner for the Borough, to investigate the circumstances attending the death of Claus Stockfeldt, a mariner belonging to the brig Lorenz, of Hamberg, and who died from injuries during an affray between himself and the carpenter of the said brig.

The proceedings were commenced at the "Cumberland Inn" near the Wellington Bridge, at two o'clock in the afternoon. The following gentleman constituted the jury:- Messrs. Jame Duke, (foreman,) W. M. Wood, J. Morgan, E. Sclater, John Bates, D. Dray, W. Pascall, sen., J. Hollyer, H. Stockwell, R. C. Fuller, John Blackbourne, J. L. King, E. Sell, and J. Johnson. The jury having been sworn, they repaired to view the body, lying on board the Lorenz, and on their return to the inquest room the enquiry was adjourned to the New Town Hall. On the assembly of the jury at the Hall, the examination of witnesses was proceeded with, and the following evidence elicited:-

Thomas Boulter, chimney sweeper: I reside in Woolcomber Street. On Monday, the 17th of January, at about 12 o'clock, while I was standing on the New Cross-Wall Quay, near Mr. Latham's, I saw a man, whom I have since ascertained to be the mate of a foreign brig lying at the said quay, hastily run and jump on board the vessel. I followed to see what was the matter, and looking on the vessel's deck, I saw the man go into the cook-house or cabouse, and pull out a man now present, and calling himself Ludeweig Helwers, who had some blood on his face. Helwers appeared to be quarrelling with another man, to me unknown, who was in the cabouse, and I have since learnt was the cook. The mate, after pulling Helwers out, took up a position at the door of the cabouse, and commenced speaking to the cook. While thus engaged, the man who had been pulled out (Helwers) came from the bulwarks, against which he had been pushed by the mate, towards the cabouse, having as pair of carpenter's pincers in his hand, grasped by the nippers. On reaching the mate, he made an effort to pass him, but failing, he struck the cook in the face with the pincers, his hand going over the mate's shoulder. About a minute elapsed between the time of Helwersbeing pulled from the cabouse and his striking the blow. I don't know where the carpenter got the pincers, not did I see him stoop down to pick up anything. On the blow being struck, the mate remonstrated with Helwers, during which the cook came out of the cabouse, when I saw that blood was flowing from his face. I then called Powell, the engineer of H.M.P. Onyx, for assistance, who went on board, and I instantly ran for a surgeon. Previous to this, however, I had seen the man who struck the cook go down the forecastle.

Henry Dickson, victualler, residing at Charlton, corroborated the evidence given by the foregoing witness; and also stated that he saw the pincers in Helwers' hands when he first tried to enter the cabouse.

John Cock, tidewaiter in the Dover Customs: On Monday, the 17th instant, while on the New Cross-Wall Quay, guarding the brig Lorenz, I saw an affray on board that vessel between two men; the prisoner was one, and deceased the other. It was occurring in the cabouse. I called to the mate, who was walking on the quay, and told him there had been a row on board. He instantly jumped on deck, and parted them, dragging Helwers out of the cabouse. Thinking the disturbance was over, I ceased looking on; but in about a minute, or a minute and a half, hearing a fresh noise, my aytention was again given to what was going on, when I saw Helwers standing by the cabouse, and having a pair of pincers in his hand. The mate was standing near, and the cook then came out of the cabouse, bleeding from the face. Some of the crew ran to the cook's assistance; and I, being alarmed at his bleeding so much, jumped on board myself, and got hold of him, and supported him till other assistance came, when I resumed my duty on the quay, and Boulter, who was present, ran off for a surgeon.

Johann Henrienn Kruse, mate of the Lorenz: I was on the quay on the day in question, and, as stated by the preceding witness, on going on board the brig, found the cook, Claus Stockfeldt, and the carpenter, Ludeweig Helwers, quarrelling together. They had hold of each other, and I separated them, pushing Helwers away. I remained speaking to the cook on the cause of the quarrell, and while doing so Helwers came behind me, and, putting his hand over my shoulder, struck the cook in the face. After the blow had been struck I saw the pincers in the carpenters hand, but had not seen them there previously. He held the pincers by the nippers; and the pair now produced I believe to be those with which the cook was struck. As soon as the blow had been given the blood flowed from his face, and I afterwards saw that there was a wound under the cook's left eye. On finding the wound serious, I had the captain called directly, and sent for a surgeon. I had ordered Helwers away on the blow being struck; but my attention became directed to the man, I knew not what became of Helwers immediately subsequent ton the affray. He had sailed in the vessel about ten months, and always attended to his duty; he was not a quarrelsome man, nor have I had any cause of complaint against him. Deceased had also sailed in the vessel about the same time, and was not inclined to be quarrelsome. He was, I believe, 21 years of age, and died on Saturday last, on board the brig, at about half-past two o'clock in the afternoon.

Herman Darre, the cooper on board the Loranz, identified the pincers now produced as his property. He had used them about nine o'clock on the morning of January 17th, and left them on deck, but could not say where. He next saw them in the afternoon of the same day. They were then in his tool box, but how they came there he knew not. He had seen nothing of the disturbance; but hearing a noise, went on deck, where he saw Helwers, who shortly after went below, to the place where witness's tools were kept.

Johann Freidrig Kock, cabin boy of the Lorenz: On Monday, the 17th of January, I was near the cabouse a little after eleven o'clock in the morning, when the carpenter came for some iron that was being heated in the fire. The cook was busy getting the dinner ready. He, however, looked for the iron, but could not find it. The carpenter then went into the cabouse, and began to rake the fire about with the fire-tongs in search of the iron. The cook wished him to desist till after dinner, but he would not, upon which he was pushed out of the cabouse by the cook; but returning again, a scuffle ensued in the cabouse. I did not see the pincers then, and the mate came on board and separated them. Having done this, he (the mate) stood outside the cabouse, talking to the cook. About two minutes passed between the mate's separating them and the blow being struck. The blow was given over the shoulder of the mate. I cannot say that the pincers now produced are the pair the carpenter had, but they are the pair given to me by the cooper on my being sent for them by the captain. I do not recollect seeing the pincers any where on deck, nor did I see any blood on them when I took them to the captain.

Haeinrick Jacob Mublenroth: I am captain of the brig Lorenz, belonging to Hamburg. She came into Dover harbour on the 26th of December last, ice-bound; and I am waiting here until the port of Hamburg is open from ice. On the 17th of January instant, at about a quarter to twelve, I was called from my cabin, and on going on deck found Stockfeldt, whose body is the subject of the present enquiry, bleeding profusely from the face. having cleansed the face, I saw a wound under the left eye. I then had him removed to my cabin, where he was shortly attended by a surgeon. After the wound was dressed, I sent the cabin boy, on account of what I had heard, to bring me the pincers, and he brought me the pair now produced. I looked at them, and saw blood in the claw. I kept them by me until the 22nd instant, when I gave them up to the Superintendent of Police.

By the Foreman: The iron was being heated for some repairs connected with the pump. My orders were given by me to the carpenter through the mate. The repairs could not have been effected without the heating of the iron.

At this stage of the proceedings (sis o'clock) the Coroner observed that the importance of the case rendered a post-mortem examination of the body necessary, for which purpose he should adjourn the inquest to the following day, at three o'clock; and the jury were then bound over in their own recognizances (of £40 each) to attend. The several witnesses were also ordered to be in attendance.


At three o'clock in the afternoon, on Tuesday, the jury reassembled at the New Town Hall, and the enquiry was resumed, as follows:

Thomas Laker, Superintendent of Police: The pincers now produced are the pair I received from the captain on the brig Lorenz, on Saturday, the 22nd instant.

John Coleman, jun., surgeon: On Monday, the 17th instant, about 12 o'clock at noon, I was called to attend deceased; but not being at home, my assistant attended, being relieved by me at about four o'clock in the afternoon of the same day. Deceased was in the cabin of the brig Lorenz; and upon my examining him, I found there was a puncture wound below the lid of the left eye, within the bony orbital cavity - the eye itself being uninjured. From the appearance of the wound, it was such as would have arisen by a stab from the handle of a pair of pincers shown me. I should judge that the instrument passed beneath the globe of the left eye -  the resistance of its spherical shape directing the weapon downwards. From the blood which flowed from the wound being so profuse, as well as arterial, I should infer the ophthalmic artery, or its branches were wounded; and of course, externally there was considerable ecchymosis, and extravasation of blood, and the integuments surrounding the wound. the man was in a state of great collapse, which might be attributed, in part, to the loss of blood sustained in the morning, and partly to the shock which the system received from so severe a stab. He was sufficiently sensible to answer the questions I put to him through an interpreter. There were no symptoms present which would lead me to the supposition that the instrument itself had penetrated the substance of the brain; but from the position and direction of the wound, I conceived such an injury might be possible. I continued in attendance upon him, giving such medicines as I thought necessary. For the two or three days following Monday, deceased progressed favourably; but on Thursday morning, the 20th, he became much worse, and complained of great headache, attended by fever. He was still collected in his conversation, and always spoke when a question was put to him. On Saturday morning, the 22nd instant, the pain in the head became suddenly intense, and other symptoms developed themselves, indicating that compression of the brain had taken place. He became insensible, comatose convulsions succeeded, and his death followed shortly afterwards, at about half-past two in the afternoon of the same day. This morning (the 25th,) I made a post mortem examination of deceased. The wound I have mentioned above, was in a direction inwards and upwards, passing between the globe of the eye, and leaving that organ uninjured. The course of the wound then lay through the orbital cavity, perforating the inner wall. The portion of the bone displaced by the instrument are large enough to form a breach in the orbital wall, about the size of six-pence. On looking into the cranium from above, a fracture was observed corresponding exactly with the fissure in the orbit, and communicating with it. Several splinters of bone were detached, protruding upon the brain. Around these small fragments there was an effusion of fus, and other signs denoting the fact of inflammatory action having taken place at the base of the brain, opposite the perforation. The cause of death I believe to have been inflammation of the brain resulting from the wound inflicted by the instrument - that wound causing such mischief to the brain and its membranes as to produce changes in cerebral organs that were incompatible with life. The organs of the chest and abdomen I also examined, and found them perfectly healthy and free from all disease. Having observed the course of the wound, and such changes as I have described, produced by the wound, I have no hesitation in stating that the death of deceased was distinctly caused by the stab of some blunt-edged instrument such as the claw-handle of a pair of pincers.

The jury having expressed that the evidence adduced was sufficient in finding a verdict, no other witnesses were examined.

The Coroner then summed up, adverting to the principal points for the consideration of the jury, and the legal bearings regulating the decision to be arrived at. The witnesses, &c., then withdrew; and on being re-admitted, the following was announced as the result of the jury's deliberation, which lasted about three quarter's of an hour:-

The jury having taken this matter into their consideration, do find that Ludeweig Helwers is guilty of Manslaughter, in causing the death of Claus Stockfeldt.

The finding was then intimated to the prisoner, by means of an interpreter, Mr. Edwards, who was also engaged as interpreter on part of the evidence given by the mate and others of the crew. The prisoner was also informed that he stood committed, under the Coroner's warrant, to the County Gaol of Maidstone; and that at the Assizes to be held there in the course of two or three months, he would have to take his trial for the offence which he was charged to have committed. Helwers was then removed to the custody of the governor of Dover Gaol.

The prisoner is of a somewhat short stature, stout, and dark looking; but does not possess an appearance of asavage or cruel nature.

The burial of deceased took place on Thursday, at three o'clock in the afternoon, at St. Martin's churchyard. The corpse was followed to the place of interment by S. M. Latham, Esq., vice consul for Hamburgh; the captain and crew of the Lorenz; and the captains and crews (numbering in the whole about 50 persons) of the several foreign vessels lying in our harbour, in which, as an emblem of respect to the memory of the deceased, flags were flying half-mast high during the day.


From the Dover Telegraph and Cinque Ports General Advertiser, Saturday 26 February, 1848. Price 5d.



An inquest was held yesterday evening at the "Cumberland Hotel," before G. T. Thompson, Esq., coroner for the borough, on the body of John Herbert, aged 24, son of Mr. Herbert, of the "Barley Mow," who had lately joined the police force, and who was found drowned in the pent early on Friday morning.

The jury having appointed Mr. W. Binfield, foreman, proceeded to view the body, which was lying in the office used by Mr. Dakin, during the progress of the harbour works; and on their return the following evidence was given:-

Sergeant Back deposed: Deceased was a supernumerary constable in the police force. He was on duty last night on the No. 2 Beat, from Five Post Lane to Strond Lane, including Union Street to Wellington Bridge. I visited him twice during the night, and last saw him at two o'clock, at the bottom of Five Post Lane; he was then quite sober.

George Bourner, a labourer in the employ of Mr. John Hayward, deposed: This morning, about half-past six, on going over the Wellington Bridge to get a ladder, I saw something dark in the water over the quay opposite Mr. Latham's house, and afterwards saw a hand, on which I called to two men, named Friend and Harper, who came to me. They then got into a boat, and rowed to the spot, when they took out the body. There appeared to be about three feet water in the pent. I did not wait to see the body brought on shore.

Ridley Friend, stoker on board H.M.P. Violet, deposed: This morning on being called by last witness, who said there was a man overboard, I went to the quay, and then, with George Harper, got into a boat, and on taking the body out of the water, found from the dress that it was one of the police. He was nearly upright, with his feet in the mud. He had a handkerchief grasped in his hand, and his cape was over his head. We rowed round to the Wellington stairs, and left the body in charge of P.C. Pierson.

Mary Hogbin, wife of Mr. Hogbin, baker, Commercial quay, deposed: This morning about a quarter before 5 o'clock while in bed, I heard loud cries of help, and on looking out of the window, the cries appeared to come from the water opposite Mr. Latham's quay. I opened the window, and then heard a faint moan, which shortly ceased, and seeing no one near, I shut the window.

By a Juror: I gave no alarm as I saw no one near. I called to my husband, and asked if he heard the cry, and he replied "no," and that it was only my fancy, which I thought likely, as we are often disturbed by the noises of vessels in the harbour.

William Perkins, of H.M.P service, deposed: About a quarter to 5 this morning I saw a policeman in his night dress standing near the "Three Kings." I spoke to him in passing, and he seemed perfectly sober.

Edward Sweeney, labourer, deposed: This morning, 3 or 4 minutes past 5, while crossing the Wellington Bridge, I heard a splashing in the water, as if something had fallen in; but deemed it to be the rebound under the sluice way, I took no further notice. I heard no cries. Having fetched my tools from near the North Pier, I re-crossed the bridge, and while on it saw a hat floating through the bridge-way. I got a boat, and picked up the hat, which I found to be such as policeman wear. I saw no one on the bridge on either occasion; about seven minutes elapsed between the times of crossing.

Verdict: Found Drowned.




WINTERBOTHAM Thomas 1847 Bagshaw's Directory 1847(Cumberland Inn)


Bagshaw's Directory 1847From Bagshaw Directory 1847


If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-