Sort file:- Dover, November, 2021.

Page Updated:- Saturday, 13 November, 2021.

PUB LIST PUBLIC HOUSES Barry Smith and Paul Skelton

Earliest 1823

(Name from)


Open 2020+

(54 Buckland Street in 1861Census) 168 London Road



The Bull circa 1850

The picture above, is of Buckland Bridge and the Bull Inn, the old posting house, in about 1850.

Bull 1920

Above photo from the John Gilham collection, circa 1920.

Bull 1920

Above photo from the John Gilham collection, circa 1920.

The Bull pre WW2

The Gilfin family, father and son, owned the Bull from 1883 to 1942.

The Bull

Above photograph of the Bull, date unknown.

From the Dover Mercury 18 Jan 2001.

Bull circa 1937

QUIETER TIMES: Buckland Bridge in about 1937 with a cart parked while its horse was in the forge around the corner for re-shoeing

Skilful job to re-shoe a horse

THIS view of Buckland Bridge taken about 1937 shows a cart parked alongside the Rectory wall. The horse would have been in Links' forge just round the corner for re-shoeing.

I can remember standing by the doorway watching the red hot metal being shaped to fit the hooves of a very docile horse.

There was a small sweetshop next to the Bull public house, and Mr Ashdown, the stone-mason, had his shop next to the river.

The car on the left appears to be an Austin Seven with a folding roof.

People seem to be sauntering across the road towards the pub.

By Joe Harman.

From the Dover Express and East Kent News. 9 December, 1938.

Bull 1938

The building of Mr. Ashdown's house and shop, next to the "Bull", now empty and about to be demolished for the widening of the road. Date of photograph December 1938.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News. 9 December, 1938.

Back of the Bull 1938

Further demolition of property on Buckland bridge for the coming widening has revealed the back portion of the "Bull Inn" with its unusual gables.


The Bull circa 1980

Above photo kindly supplied by Barry Smith circa 1980

Bull circa 1987

Bull circa 1987 (Photo by Paul Skelton)

Bull sign side 1Bull sign side 2

The two sides of the Bull pub sign. Photo by Paul Skelton 6 Oct 2007.

Bull 2015

Above photo 26 September 2015 by Robin Webster Creative Commons Licence.


John Smith kept the "Bull" in Dover in 1791 and another publican called Welch in 1832. It has to be said however, that this particular house had been known previously to 1839 as the "Rose" and the "Three Horse Shoes". A very good painting or print, showing the house and the bridge, by William Burgess has its place on the walls. Mine host opened the doors at five a.m. from 1876 to 1900. (At least it did when Barry wrote this, but I have no idea where it went to when I last looked in 2008. Paul Skelton.)


From the Dover Telegraph and Cinque Ports General Advertiser, Saturday 18 May, 1839. Price 5d


Crick, Newington, Private and Buddle, were brought up charged with having, on the night of Tuesday, the 14th instant committed an assault on the persons Mr. and Mrs. Newing of the "Bull" public-house, Buckland.

They were all bound over to keep the peace until the Sessions, when hey will appear to take their trail.


From the Dover Telegraph and Cinque Ports General Advertiser, Saturday 1 June, 1839. Price 5d


An inquest was held at the "Bull Inn," Buckland, on Thursday evening, before G. T. Thompson Esq. on the body of Rebecca Clark, of Charlton, aged 49. From the evidence of William Curling, a youth, 12 years of age, it appeared that as he was passing through the willow-walk that morning about a quarter before seven o'clock, he saw a cloak laying on the bank of the river; and a woman's clothes floating in the water. He then called a man named Prickett, who went with him to the place, and then went back to the "Cherry Tree" for assistance. Stephen Prickett corroborated the above and said that when he went back to the "Cherry Tree," he told the landlord what he had seen, and was advised by him, to get a policeman. He then met Mr. Clark, who returned with him to the spot, and the body of the deceased was taken out of the water.

Mr. Kersteman, surgeon, said he was called to see the deceased a little before 8 o'clock in the morning, when he found that lie had been extinct so long that he did not try means for resuscitation. The body had, to all appearance, been in the water nearly an hour. Mr. Ottaway, surgeon, stated that he had attended the deceased professionally. She had been ill for some months, and latterly, of an affection of the brain; and her mental energies had been particularly depressed at times. For a long time she had always some on with her.

Suzannah Frances lived as servant in the family of the deceased. About 7 o'clock that morning her master came down and asked if she had seen her mistress; to which she replied, no; when he went out to search for her. Her mistress had been in a very low way for some time, and complained of violent pain in her head.

The Coroner then briefly addressed the jury on the evidence adduced; and they returned a verdict - "That the deceased destroyed herself while in a state of temporary insanity."

Mr. Peckham, on the part of the jury, animadverted in strong terms on the conduct of Prickett, in allowing the body to remain in the water upwards of half an hour after he saw it. The place where it was found was not deep, and he might without further assistance have got it out, when there might have been a possibility of restoring life.


From the Dover Telegraph and Cinque Ports General Advertiser, Saturday 1 February, 1845. Price 5d.


On Wednesday evening an affray took place near Buckland  Bridge, when a man, named Buddle, was stabbed in the arm. He was taken in a senseless state to the "Bull Inn," and from thence conveyed in a gig to his residence at Shooter's Hill. Mr. Walter was shortly in attendance, when it was found that the left arm had been pierced through the flesh, just above the elbow.

On the following morning, Charles French, farmer, and Thomas Grant, thatcher, residing at Whitfield, who had been taken into custody the previous evening, were brought before the Justices to answer the charge, when a certificate being sent by Mr. Walter that it was impossible to remove Buddle, who was in a precarious state, the Mayor and C. B. Wilkins, Esq., (J. P.) proceeded to Buddle's house to take his deposition when the following evidence was adduced:-

Henry Buddle, labourer - I live at Shooter's hill, Buckland. Last evening, between the hours of 9 and 10, I was at the "Bull" public house. While Robert Millen came in and called me out; and when we were outside of the house, he said "those two chaps," pointing to Grant an French, who were at a distance up the road, had pulled him down, and asked me to go after him. I at once ran up the road, and when near Mr. Pierce's, overtook the two men. I asked Grant what he had been up to with Bob, and then I struck him. I do not think that I struck French. I spoke to him, and he immediately ran at me, and stabbed me, saying that he would serve me out. After he stabbed me I fell to the ground, and saw a stick in his hand, the end of which he had taken off before he ran at me. (The stick here was produced, which had a dagger in it of about nine inches long.) The dagger struck me just above the elbow, and went quite through the fleshy part of my arm. I was sober at the time, but Mullen was rather intoxicated. He, however, had followed me, and I think was near when I was struck.

Robert Milen - Last evening, between 9 and 10 o'clock, I was standing against the wall of the "Bull," when Grant came up and caught hold of my trousers, and pulled me round, saying, "You can't fight. Come, I will fight you for what you like." I told him that I could not fight two men, but would fetch a man to second me. I was then abused by French, who also offered to fight me. Upon this I went into the "Bull," and called Buddle out, and when we were out we saw Grant and French going over the Bridge. I told Buddle that they were the men, and he ran after them. I followed on, and overtook them near Pierce's, when Buddle was wrangling with the men. I then spoke to Grant, and was just going to make it up with him, and shake hands, when Buddle called out, "Bob, he has killed me!" I looked round and saw Buddle lying on the ground, and then immediately ran to the "Bull" for assistance. On my return I met Grant and French bringing Buddle along the road, and they took him into the "Bull," where they remained with him till he was taken home in a gig. I had been drinking, but was not drunk.

This being the evidence in support of the case, the Justices said there was nothing to implicate Grant in the affair, who was ordered to leave the room, when French, being called upon for his defence, made the following statement:-

Last evening about half past 9 o'clock, I went into the "Bull" with Grant, and had a glass of beer. When we came out Millen was standing against the wall of the house, and he said to us, "Be off home." I said that I should not, and he challenged me to fight, but I would not do so. He then observed that I was a bigger man than he, but he would fetch another man; and he immediately went into the "Bull," but we went over the Bridge towards home. Buddle soon came up and stopped us, and said he would fight us. I replied that I did not want to fight. He then struck me on the chin, and struck Grant also, in the face. He then made a second blow at me, when I told him he had better keep off, or I would let him know who I was. He came at me a third time, and then I drew the dagger and struck him in self- defence.  I had not struck any blows with the stick; nor did I know either Buddle or Millen before.

Grant was then called in, and fully corroborated the above statement.

The room was then cleared, and on our return the Mayor said, that as the medical attendant could not pronounce Buddle out of danger, the prisoner French must be remanded till Monday, who was then bailed by his father.


Robert Millen, (who was one of the witnesses in the stabbing case at Buckland,) was required to find two sureties of £10 each, and be bound himself in £20, to keep the peace for 6 calendar months towards his father; and in default of bail, was committed.


From the Dover Telegraph and Cinque Ports General Advertiser, Saturday, 27 July, 1845. Price 5d.


James Perch, brewer, Buckland, was fined 16s. 6d., including costs, for assaulting Miss M. G. Sherwood, late house-keeper to Mr. Newing, of the “Bull Inn.” He paid fine.


Dover Telegraph and Cinque Ports General Advertiser, Saturday 23 May 1863.

Reckless Driving.

John Upton answered to a summons charging him as follows:-

Police Constable Stevens deposed:- About half past eight o'clock last Friday evening, I saw the defendant's with several others standing outside the "Bull" public house at Buckland, among whom there had evidently been a fight, as there were marks of blood visible on some of their faces. There was a number of people around them, and seeing a horse and cart close by with no one in charge of it, I asked the defendant if it belongs to him, when he replied that it did, and I then told him that he had better go and take care of it. He refused to do so, and threatened to fight anybody who came along. After some time I succeeded in getting him into his cart to drive off, when he appeared to have no control all over the horse, and I followed him up for some distance until he ran upon the pavement, and the shaft of the cart went nearly into the window. The defendant got out of the cart, and I then went up and took charge of it, when he got up again and threatened to drive over me. I then had a tussle with the defendant, and afterwards took him to the station house. He was drunk when I first saw him, but partly recovered himself before he arrived at the police station.

The defendant denied being intoxicated.

The bench fined defendant 1s. and 10s. costs, which were paid.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 4 February, 1870.


William Philpott, a returned convict, who has been several times convicted, was charged with having obtained by false pretences eleven fowls, the property of Mr. Henry Smith, gunsmith, of Cannon Street.

It appeared that the prisoner went to the house of the prosecutor, who was in the habit of dealing in fowls, and represented that he had been sent for the number of fowls stated in the charge of Mr. Brett, of the "Bull Inn," Buckland, who was willing to pay 3s. 6d. a couple for them, and it was in consequence of this representation that Mr. Smith parted with his property.

Mr. Brett was now in attendance, and stated that he had given the prisoner no such authorisation as he had put forward; and the Magistrates committed the prisoner for trial at the next Quarter Sessions.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 21 April, 1870.


William Philpott, 49, prisoner, was charged with unlawfully obtaining by false pretences eleven fowls, value 19s., the property of Henry Smith, at Dover, on the 20th January. He pleaded not guilty.

Mr. Biron was for the prosecution.

Henry Smith, a gunsmith carrying on business in Biggin Street, Dover, said he was in the habit of keeping fowls. On the 20th January last the prisoner came to him and said he was sent by Mr. Brett, the landlord of the "Bull Inn," at Buckland, to look at some fowls. He showed him the fowls he had, and the prisoner selected eleven. He took them away and said that Mr. Brett would pay for them whenever witness liked to send for the money. If he had not made that representation, witness would not have let him take the fowls.

George Brett, the landlord of the "Bull Inn," at Buckland said he gave no instruction to the prisoner on the 20th January or at any other time to buy fowls in his name.

Police-constable Chapman: I apprehended the prisoner at the "Friend in Need" public-house, Peter Street, Charlton, on a charge of obtaining fowls under false pretences. He said "Very well, I suppose I must go." I afterwards accompanied Mr. Smith, to the prisoner's house, and we there found four fowls, which Mr. Smith, when before the Magistrates, identified as his.

The prisoner, in his defence, persisted that Mr. Brett had authorised him to obtain the fowls in his name, it being arranged between them that when he (prisoner) sold the fowls, they should share the profits.

Mr. Brett, on being called by the Recorder, denied that he was any part of the buying of the fowls. The prisoner said he wanted some fowls, and witness told him he thought he could get some of the prosecutor. The prisoner afterwards came back and said he had got them. He also took away four fowls belonging to him (witness), for which he did not pay.

The Recorder said the Jury would have to determine between the statement of the prisoner and the statement of Mr. Brett.

The Jury found the prisoner guilty.

The prisoner pleaded guilty to a previous conviction, in 1853, when he was sentenced to ten years' transportation for sheep-stealing.

The Court, in dealing with the prisoner with leniency, advised him not to come before the Court again, or he would be treated differently. He would now be sent to prison for six months, with hard labour.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 12 December, 1873. Price 1d.


The Superintendent of the Police reported that on Wednesday night, at 12 o'clock, a fire was discovered in a bacon-drying house at the back of the "Bull Inn," Buckland. By the use of a few buckets full of water the fire was extinguished.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 9 November, 1877. Price 1d.


This claim was £8 8s. for beer supplied to defendant who was a ganger to the men at the Gas Works, by plaintiff, the landlord of the “Bull Inn,” Buckland.

His Honor gave a verdict for plaintiff.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday 3 May, 1878


James Hammond of Whitfield, was charged with attempting to rob a till at the “Bull Inn,” Buckland.

Eliza Robus, wife of Atkin Robus, landlord of the “Bull Inn,” said: I was in my room at the back of the bar and my husband and others, having my tea. There was no one in the outside bar but the prisoner who had been served with a bottle of ginger-beer. My attention was called by a woman named Goulder, who said, “Someone is at your till. I hear money.” My husband said , “Oh, no, I locked the till; and there is no one but Hammond there.” I heard money rattling, and I rushed out and saw Hammond reaching over the bar with his hand on the till. I caught hold of him by the collar and said, “Hammond, what are you robbing our till for?” He said, “I have not interfered with anything.” I said, “What is your hand in the till for?” He called me a liar, and said he was not robbing the till. There was money in the till, coppers and silver. He could not have got at the gold without drawing the till further out.

The prisoner denied having taken anything.

Mary Ann Golder, of Brookfield Cottages, said: I was in the back room of Mr. Robus' house. Mr. Robus had come in from the bar. I heard a rattling of money, and I said, “Mr. Robus, there is someone at your till.” I followed Mrs. Robus out, and saw a man leaning over the counter. I heard Mrs. Robus charge the man with robbing the till, and he told her that she was a liar.

Mr. Atkins Robus said: Yesterday afternoon, I served this man with a bottle of ginger-beer. I put the money in the till and locked it, but did not take the key out. I went into the next room to tea. My wife went out and I followed her. I saw my wife holding Hammond with the collar. Hammond had his hand hanging over the counter, and the till was open. I heard him say he had not interfered with anything. I gave him into custody. I should be thankful if you will be a s lenient with him as possible. I have heard nothing against this character before.

The prisoner: I did not unlock the till. You must have left it open.

The prisoner said he wished to have the case decided by the Magistrates. He pleaded not guilty, but he added “All I have to say is that I am not guilty, and that I never interfered with anything. I was standing there drinking the ginger-beer, and my hand was hanging over the bar counter in this way.” (Suiting the action of the word).

Mr. Robus said he never knew anything against the man. He was very much liked at Major Lawes', where he worked. He would have looked over the case altogether if he could.

Mr. Dickeson said the case had been clearly proved, and had been aggravated by his attempting to contradict the witness. Still, they would bear in mind the recommendation that had been made, and pass a light sentence, namely, that he should be imprisoned and kept to hard labour for fourteen days.


From the Dover Express and East Kent Intelligencer, 9 January, 1880. Price 1d.


William Pearce was summoned for assaulting Isaac Albion.

The complainant said: I am a brickmaker, living at Buckland. I was living at River a fortnight ago, when this affair happened. On the 21st of December last I left the “Bull” public-house at Buckland at a quarter to 11 at night to go home to River. I overtook several men, amongst whom was the defendant Pearce, Stephen Hart, and a man named Kelsey between River bridge and the flour mill. I was going past, when Kelsey said, “Stop a minute old fellow, and have a drink with me.” I did so, Kelsey giving me some brandy out of a bottle. We went along in the direction of our homes. I had some gin in a bottle, and I gave some to Kelsey. There was not an angry word spoken until we got to the barn, when Kelsey put his hand in his coat pocket, and said, “I have lost a bottle of brandy,” and also saying he would fight the man who had got it. The others walked on, and defendant and Hart remained behind with me. Defendant asked me what I had to do with it. I took hold of defendant's collar, and asked him if it would do him any good if he struck me, but I said that I would see he did not. He made a sudden jerk and tore his coat collar in getting away from me. Defendant then tripped me up. I was getting up when he kicked me in the eye with his right boot. I then became senseless. A young man from Ewell took me home. We both worked for Mr. Phipps at that time.

By the defendant: We met each other just by the firs. We stopped several times to drink. You were drinking brandy when I came along. When you tripped me up you said something to Hart, and then turned and kicked me.

Edward Rogers and Belcey Kelcey gave corroborating evidence.

The Bench dismissed the case.



The local authority were anxious to widen the bridge as early as 1926 and again in 1939 and in fact the properties nearest to it had been removed in 1938. The further intention was to purchase the "Bull" for £2,650 plus fees and effect a change of land with the owners so that a new pub could be erected. The necessary plans for that were approved in March 1926 and again in August 1939 but the war that followed prevented any further progress.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday 5 March, 1926. Price 1½d.


Col. Hayward submitted plans for the rebuilding of the "Bull Inn," London Road.

The Magistrates's Clerk said that it was in connection with the bridge widening. The new building was to be turned round, facing the bridge.

The Magistrates' Clerk: What will be the width of the road over the bridge when it is widened?

Col. Hayward: I am afraid I can't answer that question. I have not got the plans.

The Magistrates' Clerk: It will be twice as wide?

It will be quite twice.

Mr. Brett: is it on the same ground?

Yes; and on the garden ground behind it.

The plans were explained to the Magistrates by Col. Hayward, and Mr. A. C. Leney and the Magistrates' Clerk announced that the plans were approved.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 6 March, 1931. Price 1½d.


A very successful social evening was held at the “Bull Inn” on Saturday evening in connection with the “Bull Inn” Sports Club, the occasion being the presentation of prizes won by members of the club in their annual tournament. The prizes which were presented by the Clubs' esteemed President, Mrs. Gilfin, are as follows:- Darts; 1. T. Spriddell (clock), 2. C. Lowes (clock). Shove Ha'penny; 1. H Moseling (clock); 2. D. Gee (case of razors). Dominoes. 1. J. Clark (wrist watch), 2. J. Smisses (clock). Cribbage; 1. D. Gee (clock), 2. H. Moseling (cruet). Euchre. The winning partners in this competition were H. Wood and G. Ing, who were each presented with a clock. At the conclusion Mrs. Gilfin was accorded a very hearty vote of thanks for her untiring efforts to make the evening a success, and in providing a large proportion of the prizes and the refreshment. The following members contributed to a musical programme: T. Spriddell, C. Lowes, W. Chandler, J. Smissen, P. Pore, J. Botting, G. Head and H. Moseling. Messrs. A. White and J. Towell were the pianists, while the jazz music was supplied by Mr. G. Head.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News. 13 January 1939.

The monthly meeting of the British Legion (Men's Branch) was held at the "Bull" Inn on Monday, Mr. A. M. Pittock  presiding. It was decided that the standard with escort, should attend the County Parade at Rochester on July 2nd. The Relief Secretary reported  that £5 had been  expended since their meeting in December. The invitation from the Woman's Section to attend their social on January 17th, was accepted with thanks.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News. 6 February 1942.


At the Dover Police Court on Saturday, Louis Huntley and John George Henry Stiff, two soldiers, were charged with being concerned together in breaking a pane of glass in the window of the front door of the "Bull Inn," London Road, on Friday, January 20th, and doing damage to the value of 8s., the property of Messrs. Fremlins, Ltd.

Chief Constable Saddleton said that the officer in command of the prisoners' unit asked that the men should be handed over to the Military to be dealt with. The damage would be paid for.

The magistrates ordered prisoners to be handed over.


Dover Express 10th August 1945.

Former Licensee’s Death.

The funeral took place on Wednesday at Charlton Cemetery of Mr. John Austen Gilfin late of the “Bull” Inn who died on August 2nd at the age of 73 years. Canon Browne officiated and the mourners present were:- Mr. Butler (brother-in-law), Mrs. Gowers (niece), Mr. G. H. W. Mackie, Mr. Newman. The funeral arrangements were by Mr. H. J. Sawyer of 85 High Street.


Bull regulars in back garden 1936

Regulars at the "Bull" in the back garden in 1936, kindly sent by Graham Butterworth.


By 1952, the bridge had been sufficiently widened anyway without further demolition being considered necessary. An interesting analogy perhaps are the deeds of the last century, which describe the inn as standing in its own grounds with stables and orchard.


Following world war two, reinstatement of war damage, costing £250, was authorised in September 1949 but a request to enlarge the premises in 1962 was rejected by the planning committee of the Council.


A Whitbread-Fremlin establishment.


From the Dover Express. 27 November, 1970.

Licensee retires

Retiring this week after twenty one years as landlord of the "Bull Inn" near Buckland Bridge was Mr. Alf Treadwell. He and his wife Jessie are off to live in Denham Garden City in Middlesex.

Alf & Jessie Treadwell, Bull licensees 1970Alf - who hasn't been too well lately - has spent all his years in the licensing trade at the "Bull Inn."

before that he held a supervisory post in the printing industry in London. He was in the printing trade for nearly seventeen years.

Then he visited his uncle Dick Husk who was the landlord of the war damaged "Bull Inn." They had a chat and Alf decided to give up his London job and take over the pub.

"And I've never regretted the decision," says Alf.

"We have made some great friends among our customers. We're sorry to leave them," says Jessie, who has been partially blind for nine years, but has carried on as landlady.

Alf was secretary of the Licensed Victuallers Association for seven years and treasurer for five years. He was about 12 years auditor of the Kent Federation of the Licensing Trade.

Jessie had worked hard for the Ladies Auxillary, especially for blind charities raising about £30 a year for them in the last six years.

New landlord of the "Bull" is Mr. Ray Smith, of Pioneer Road, who was a postal and telegraph officer at Dover Post Office. He's a keen cricketer.


From the Dover Mercury, 20 November, 1997.

Raise a glass to the pub runners who help keep Dover lifeboat crews afloat.

Bull 1997

Above l to r: Graham Totterdell, KAR's Derek Cole, Kendal Beasley of the RNU and Serge Davis. Back row: Sandy and Alan Huntley and Dover lifeboat crew.


PUB regulars presented a lifeboat-woman with a cheque for £500 so she and her colleagues can continue to save lives.

Drinkers at the Bull Inn, in London Road, Dover, raise £1,000 for both the Royal National Lifeboat Institution (RNLI) and Kent Air Ambulance (KAR) by subscribing to various raffles and supporting people in sponsored events.

Graham Totterdell, 51, Serge Davies and Alan Dowling, both 30, drummed up just some of the cash by running in the London Marathon and covering 80 miles in the Great South Downs Race.

Tenant landlord Alan Huntley, 54, who presented the cheque to lifeboat-woman Kendal Billing, said: "We decided to support the Dover's lifeboat because it's a local charity and because you never know when you might need them.

"We also gave KAR £500 because one of our regulars, Denzil Billing, 32, was involved in a serious accident years ago and if it hadn't been for the helicopter rushing him to hospital he wouldn't be here today."

Dover lifeboat's Tony Hawkins said: "We'll use the cash to cover running costs like replacing lost and damaged equipment or buying fuel. Over the past three weeks we've used more than £1,000 of it on six jobs - We've been very busy!"

The City of London II's coxswain added: "We're very pleased with Kendal Beasley. She arrived 18 months ago and immediately became part of the team."


From the Dover Express, 7 January 1999.

Footballers at the Bull pub can be excused for sleeping on the ball.

THREE pub football teams raised more than £600 for charity by playing a match in their pyjamas and nightdresses.

Regulars from the Bull, in London Road, Dover, were not charged rent by River Parish Council when they paid £5 each to take part in the game at River Recreation Ground, in Lewisham Road.

Dover Athletic Football Club, P&O Stena Line and Travel Market donated raffle prizes for a draw, which was held at the Bull after the game ended in a four all draw. Proceeds will be split between Kent Air Ambulance and Royal National Lifeboat Institution.

Organiser John Robinson, manager of the three Bull Wanderers football teams, said: "We were all wearing some kind of nightwear. Although the weather was awful there was a fair turnout with quite a few people watching us from the sidelines."


From the East Kent Mercury, 9 July 2015. By Phil Hayes.


Sharron Hubbard

Pub boss Sharron tied the knot in May after learning she had only months to live.

THE devastated husband of Dover pub landlady Sharron Hubbard has paid tribute to his wife - who died, aged 47, just weeks after they got married.

The much-loved mum-of-three, who ran the "Bull Inn," in London Road, was diagnosed with lung cancer after finding a lump on her neck in February.

When doctors told Sharron it was terminal, she and partner of 22 years Warran Kingsnorth decided to get married, and tied the knot in May.

But just seven weeks later, on Sunday, June 28, she died peacefully at the Pilgrims Hospices in Canterbury.

Speaking to the Express at the pub he ran with Sharron for four-and-a­ half years, Warran said: "Every day I miss her. I expect her to be there shouting at me, saying we have got to get this or that done."

The former bricklayer, 47, who was in the same year as Sharron at Archers Court School, added: "She was a great mum to her kids.

"They have been quite strong, which has been good for me. If they weren't I would crack right up."

"Bubbly" Arsenal fan Sharron's dad, Dick Hubbard, 72, told the Express his daughter - who hosted many charity events at her pub - was a "livewire".


'Our wedding was one of Sharron's happiest days'

More than 150 people turned out to see pub landlady get married.

Sharron and Warren Kingsnorth

WHEN Sharron Hubbard and her partner of more than 20 years Warran Kingsnorth found out her cancer was terminal, they were devastated.

Knowing their time together could be short, Warran said: "There must be things you want to do."

And the first thing 47-year-old Sharron said was: "I want to get married."

Speaking to the Express at their pub the "Bull Inn" on Tuesday morning, Warran described the moment their lives changed forever.

In February; mum-of-three Sharron had found a lump on her neck which eventually grew to the size of a golf ball.

Warran said: "The doctor told us it could be glands and to go and check it out. We did and a couple of weeks later we got the bad news it was cancer.

"It was terrible, such a shock. "Originally; Sharron was upset but she was the type of person who thought, 'right let's get on with this and fight it'.

"But after tests they found it had spread to her lungs, liver and windpipe.

"They put it down as lung cancer and once it went to her liver it was very aggressive.

"In April, after two chemotherapy sessions, they stopped it and said there was nothing else they could do."

But on Saturday; May 9, Sharron was walking down the aisle at a packed Lydden Church.

Some 167 people piled inside the church, which should only hold 80, and 250 were at the reception at the "Bull."


Warran said: 'All day I was just worried more than anything that she was all right. She was getting ill by that time and she was struggling.

"But she said it was one of her happiest days."

The couple - who both went to Archers Court - got together after meeting at the "Lydden Bell" pub. Warran worked there and Sharron was in the skittles team.

Warran said: "She was very bubbly. If there was a room full of people she would stand out without a doubt. You can't help notice her.

"She was very honest. That was another thing I liked about her. She didn't take any prisoners."

He said Sharron was a "great mum" to Thomas, 23, and twins Rebecka and Macaulee, 19.

The couple decided to take over the "Bull" in London Road four­and-half years ago.

Sharron loved running the pub, according to Warran.

The "Bull" hosted charity events held by Cessy Crascall, who raised thousands of pounds for Demelza Hospice Care for Children every year.

Sharron was admitted to the Pilgrims Hospices in Canterbury on Friday; June 26.

Two days later, at 1.10pm she died peacefully with her family around her.

Speaking to the Express at his pub on Tuesday morning and scrolling through wedding photos, Warran said: "I've been keeping busy. Being here has kept me focused.

"But every day I miss her."

Sharron's funeral is on Saturday, July, 18, at Lydden Church at 10am, followed by a cremation at Barham.

Warran said: "Everyone is invited to the whole lot."


From the Dover Express, 9 July 2015. By Phil Hayes.

Popular landlady dies aged just 47.

Pub boss Sharron tied the knot in May after learning she had only months to live.

THE devastated husband of Dover pub landlady Sharron Hubbard has paid tribute to his wife - who died, aged 47, just weeks after they got married.

The much-loved mum-of-three, who ran The Bull Inn, in London Road, was diagnosed with lung cancer after finding a lump on her neck in February When doctors told Sharron it was terminal, she and partner of 22 years Warran Kingsnorth decided to get married, and tied the knot in May But just seven weeks later, on Sunday, June 28, she died peacefully at the Pilgrims Hospices in Canterbury.

Speaking to the Express at the pub he ran with Sharron for four-and-a-half years, Warran said: “Every day I miss her. I expect her to be there shouting at me, saying we have got to get this or that done.”

The former bricklayer, 47, who was in the same year as Sharron at Archers Court School, added: “She was a great mum to her kids.

“They have been quite strong, which has been good for me. If they weren’t I would crack right up.” “Bubbly” Arsenal fan Sharron’s dad, Dick Hubbard, 72, told the Express his daughter - who hosted many charity events at her pub - was a “livewire”.

From the East Kent Mercury, 23 July 2015.

Bikers' tribute to pub landlady at funeral.

Sharon Hubbard funeral 2015

HUNDREDS of well-wishers turned out for the funeral of much-loved Dover landlady Sharron Hubbard on Saturday.

The popular mum-of-three, who ran the "Bull Inn," in London Road, died from lung cancer in June aged just 47.

Her husband Warran Kingsnorth told the Express he was overwhelmed by the turnout for her funeral at Lydden Church.

Warran, 47, said: "There must have been about 150 people waiting outside. When I walked inside the church it was already jam-packed."

He said even more of Sharron's friends turned up later that day at Barham Crematorium.

The funeral procession was led by 17 bikers who would often drink in speedway fan Sharron's pub, where the wake was held.

From the Dover Express, 23 July 2015.

Bikers’ tribute to pub landlady at funeral.

HUNDREDS of well-wishers turned out for the funeral of much-loved Dover landlady Sharron Hubbard on Saturday.

The popular mum-of-three, who ran The Bull Inn, in London Road, died from lung cancer in June aged just 47.

Her husband Warran Kingsnorth told the Express he was overwhelmed by the turnout

Warran, 47, said: “There must have been about 150 people waiting outside. When I walked inside the church it was already jam-packed.”

He said even more of Sharron’s friends turned up later that day at Barham Crematorium.

The funeral procession was led by 17 bikers who would often drink in speedway fan Sharron’s pub, where the wake was held.




FRENCH George 1823-28+ Pigot's Directory 1823Pigot's Directory 1828-29 ("Black Bull")

WELCH George 1832-39+ Pigot's Directory 1832-34Pigot's Directory 1839

NEWING John 1840-51 Pigot's Directory 1840Bagshaw's Directory 1847

WEBB George 1851

BRETT George 1855-71+ (age 55 in 1871Census)

ROBUS Atkins 1874-82 (age 68 in 1881Census) Kelly's 1874Post Office Directory 1874Post Office Directory 1882

GILFIN John Austin senior 1883-1911 dec'd (age 75 in 1911Census) Post Office Directory 1891Pikes 1895Kelly's Directory 1899Post Office Directory 1903Post Office Directory 1903Kelly's 1903Pikes 1909

GILFIN John Austin junior 1911-42 end (age 39 in 1911Census) Post Office Directory 1913Post Office Directory 1918Post Office Directory 1922Pikes 1923Pikes 1924Post Office Directory 1930Pikes 1932-33Post Office Directory 1938Pikes 1938-39

HUSK Richard George 1942-Dec/49 Pikes 48-49Dover Express

TREADWELL Alfred William Dec/1949-70 end Dover ExpressKelly's Directory 1950Kelly's Directory 1953Kelly's Directory 1956

SMITH Raymond J 1970-74+ Library archives 1974 Fremlins

HUNTLEY Alan -1997-2005

SHARP George & Sandra 2005-06

HAMMOND Nick & Becky Next pub licensee had 2006-08

MAY Martin 2008-Jan/11

KINGSNORTH Warren & HUBBARD Sharron Jan/2011-May/15

KINGSNORTH Warren & Sharron dec'd May-July/2015 (married)

KINGSNORTH Warren July/2015-19+


Pigot's Directory 1823From the Pigot's Directory 1823

Pigot's Directory 1828-29From the Pigot's Directory 1828-29

Pigot's Directory 1832-34From the Pigot's Directory 1832-33-34

Pigot's Directory 1839From the Pigot's Directory 1839

Pigot's Directory 1840From the Pigot's Directory 1840

Bagshaw's Directory 1847From Bagshaw Directory 1847

Kelly's 1874From the Kelly's Directory 1874

Post Office Directory 1874From the Post Office Directory 1874

Post Office Directory 1882From the Post Office Directory 1882

Post Office Directory 1891From the Post Office Directory 1891

Pikes 1895From Pikes Dover Blue Book 1895

Kelly's Directory 1899From the Kelly's Directory 1899

Post Office Directory 1903From the Post Office Directory 1901

Post Office Directory 1903From the Post Office Directory 1903

Kelly's 1903From the Kelly's Directory 1903

Pikes 1909From Pikes Dover Blue Book 1909

Post Office Directory 1913From the Post Office Directory 1913

Post Office Directory 1918From the Post Office Directory 1918

Post Office Directory 1922From the Post Office Directory 1922

Pikes 1923From Pikes Dover Blue Book 1923

Pikes 1924From Pikes Dover Blue Book 1924

Post Office Directory 1930From the Post Office Directory 1930

Pikes 1932-33From Pikes Dover Blue Book 1932-33

Post Office Directory 1938From the Post Office Directory 1938

Pikes 1938-39From Pikes Dover Blue Book 1938-39

Pikes 48-49From Pikes Dover Blue Book 1948-49

Kelly's Directory 1950From the Kelly's Directory 1950

Kelly's Directory 1953From the Kelly's Directory 1953

Kelly's Directory 1956From the Kelly's Directory 1956

Library archives 1974Library archives 1974

Dover ExpressFrom the Dover Express


If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-