Page Updated:- Wednesday, 22 July, 2020.

PUB LIST PUBLIC HOUSES Barry Smith and Paul Skelton

Earliest 1600s

Blue Anchor

Latest 1879-

Round Tower Street


Above photo, kindly sent by Glenn Hatfield, showing a line between Round Tower Street and Commercial Quay.


I have recently found reference to another pub called the "Blue Anchor" but this one identified as being in the Commercial Quay. However, it also appears to be the same premises as the "Mariner's Arms."

A seventeenth century token bore the inscription "TKD, The Blew Anker at Dover Docks". That house was said to stand in Round Tower Street and to have been removed shortly before 1892. Most if not all of the street would have disappeared when the South Eastern Railway was joined to the London and Chatham Railway about 1879. I keep an open mind and the token is there to prove that such a house did exist in the dock area. (Written by Barry Smith)

Reference has also been found to an advert in the Kentish Gazette of 1801 highlighting an auction. Lot 4 states the following:- A Dwelling house, situate at the corner, opposite the "Blue Anchor", alehouse, in the occupation of Thomas Acton.

The following article in the Dover Telegraph, found by Paul Skelton, would most certainly have put Barry's mind to rest on this one.

Click here for photo of Round Tower Lane.


From the Cinque Ports Herald 8 January 1826


“on Thursday evening last two men went to the "Blue Anchor" public house in Dover and ordered beds. They were shown into the parlour from whence they took 2 greatcoats, the property of Mr Friend the Landlord who, next morning, having obtained some tidings of their probable root, traced them to Canterbury and succeeded in capturing the thieves with the stolen property in their possession and lodged them safely in Canterbury gaol.


From the Dover Telegraph and Cinque Ports General Advertiser, Saturday, 10 May, 1845. Price 5d.


An inquest was held last evening, at 7 o'clock, before G. T. Thompson, Esq., Coroner for the Borough, at the “Blue Anchor,” on the body of Joseph Cresson, alias French Joe, aged 54. The Jury having appointed Mr. Offen foreman, they proceeded to view the body, which was lying on the premises, when the following evidence was taken:-

James Smith, labourer, deposed: Last night I was with deceased , waiting for the French packet La Poste. She came in about half-past 10, and we got her moored, when I left, and thought he was following me. I returned to fetch a basket of shrimps that were on board, when a lady and gentleman told me there was some one overboard. I gave an alarm, and a man on board the English packet lying a-head got a boat-hook, and caught hold of deceased, by which he was held up till he was taken out of the water. He was then insensible, and was immediately taken to the “Blue Anchor.” Deceased was not sober, but had gone down the ladder with a rope while we were mooring the vessel. I did not go more than twenty yards from the vessel, and heard no cries for assistance. I think deceased tripped against one of the mooring ropes.

John Coleman, jun., surgeon, deposed: Last night, about 11 o'clock, I was called to attend deceased. I found him lying on a table in a state of partial asphyxia, from submersion in the water,. I ordered the wet clothes to be removed, and after persevering with friction for half an hour, he recovered sufficiently to recognise the people in the room, and his breathing was perfectly natural; but, from the language he then used, I judged him to be intoxicated. He was then removed to bed, and my assistant remained with him about an hour. He was then quite recovered from the effects of the immersion in the water. I do not attribute death due to the effect of immersion, further than that, combined with intoxication, might have been the exciting causes to the concussion or rupture of some vessel of the brain, which, in my opinion, was the cause of death.

Edward Punnett, seaman in H.M. packet service, deposed: Last night I was on board H.M.P. Ariel, and hearing a cry of “a man overboard!” I got over the vessel's side and caught hold of deceased by the collar. A man on board held him up with a boat-hook till two of our crew came round in the boat, into which he was pulled, and then got on the deck of the vessel. He was then quite insensible, and was conveyed to the public-house.

James Smith, recalled: After the doctor left deceased he slept till about 10 minutes to 3. I then woke him, and he took his medicine. He asked where he was, and I said he was all right, and that his wife was present. He asked her where his watch was, and she replied that she had got it. A minute or two afterwards he turned round and appeared to die instantly.

Mr. Coleman said this confirmed him in the opinion that death was caused by injury to the brain; and the Jury, after a short consultation, returned a verdict:- “That deceased died a natural death, the exciting cause being intoxication and submersion in the water.”


From the Dover Express, 12 July, 1862.

To be sold by private contract, for a few days, on the premises known as the "Blue Anchor" public house, at the corner of Round Tower Street, near the Cross Wall, Dover, a large quantity of Firewood, much which may be had in large or small quantities to suit the convenience of purchases. Plain and Pantiles, Bricks, Bats, and Stones; also, great number of good sound Rafters, Joists, Floorboards, Lining Boards, Doors, Windows, &c, for particulars apply on the premises.

July 8th, 1862.



FRIEND Mr 1826+


If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-