Sort file:- Dover, February, 2022.

Page Updated Dover:- Tuesday, 08 February, 2022.

PUB LIST PUBLIC HOUSES Barry Smith and Paul Skelton

Earliest 1857-

(Name from)


Latest 1999

(Name to)

37 Folkestone Road Kelly's 1913Pikes 1932-33Kelly's Directory 1950

19 Folkestone Road Post Office Directory 1874Kelly's Directory 1899Post Office Directory 1903


Alma 1952

Above photo, 1952. Creative Commons Licence.

Alma ledger

Thompson & Sons ledger. Creative Commons Licence.

Alma circa 1987

Alma circa 1987 (Photo by Paul Skelton)

Map 1907

Above photo 1907. Alma is highlighted light Green, St Martin's Hill.

Alma sign 1991Alma sign 1991

Alma signs above, October 1991.

Above with thanks from Brian Curtis

Alma sign

Above sign I am not sure where it was displayed, but I am informed it is now housed in someone's shed.

Alma circa 1980

Alma circa 1980, photo supplied by Barry Smith


Alma, date unknown. Notice the man on the roof of the now demolished house up the steps to Military Hill.

Alma, 1937

Above photo kindly supplied by Jeanette Harper, c/o Jackie Bowles of the Louise Armstrong. Date 1937.

Alma 1897

Days before the trams arrived.

MISS Mary Horseley set up her easel in the churchyard of Christ Church in 1897, just before the trams arrived.

The covered wagon was coming up the hill, probably delivering flour to one of the local bakers.

On the left, you can see a squad of soldiers marching up to board a train at Dover Priory.

On the right, you can see the Alma pub.

Some years ago, I decided to get a similar angle, before the flats were built, but I had to abandon the attempt. I was nearly in position when I spotted two sleeping bags with an attractive young lady in one.

But the other contained a very bearded man just waking up. I decided not to press the shutter and beat a retreat!

Joe Harman

Alma circa 1950

Above photo appeared in the Dover Mercury 15 July 1999

SOME parts of this stretch of Folkestone Road have not changed much since this picture was taken around 1950. But others are very different. The steps leading up to Military Hill are still there, as is the Alma pub, although it is now called The Renassance.

The buildings beyond it have long gone making way for the improvements to the road and the York Street roundabout. Those buildings included an office block, which used to be used by a travel company, the Red Cow public house and Lewis's garage.


The battle of Alma was fought in 1854 which may suggest the origin. I have no evidence, and later, in 1857, when new houses were built on this side of the road, I was again disappointed to find no mention of the name or evidence of rebuilding. A year later, Mrs. Paramour was rising early to open the doors at five a.m.


Two other pubs with this title were reported in 1856. The first in Laureston Place and the other in Snargate Street. Unfortunately no numbers were shown.


There is also mention of a LOWE Joseph the Alma, Snargate St 1857, but I am unaware of another public house of that name in Snargate Street.


From the Dover Express and East Kent Intelligencer, 4 November, 1865. Price 1d.


On the complaint of Woodgate and Pain, the defendants in a previous case, from when it appeared that police-constable Solly had been drinking in their company at the "Alma" public-house, Folkestone Road, while he should have been on duty, Solly was suspended till the following day, when the Watch Committee, it was intimated, would consider the complaint and deal with it as they might think proper. A report of the Watch Committee proceedings will be found elsewhere.


From the Dover Express and East Kent Intelligencer, 6 April, 1871. Price 1d.


An inquest was held by the Borough Coroner (W. H. Payn, Esq.), on Saturday afternoon, at the “Alma Inn,” Folkestone Road, on the body of James Pattenden, aged about 35 years, who met his death the same morning by being run over by a light engine on the London, Chatham and Dover Railway line, between the priory Station and Kearsney.

John Lewis deposed: I am an inspector of telegraphs, employed by the Government Postal Telegraph Department, and reside at Canterbury. I have known the deceased for seven months, and his name was James Pattenden. He was employed by me as a labourer to assist in erecting the telegraph wires. He went to his work at the regular time, six o'clock, this morning. He was engaged with other workmen in erecting telegraph wires between Dover and Kearsney. The last time I saw him alive was about a week ago. I only heard of his death on my arrival in Dover this morning from Canterbury. I believe a telegram was sent to me, but I did not receive it as I had started for Dover at the time. He was a very steady and temperate workman, I know nothing of the circumstances of his death.

Thomas Baker, a labourer, employed by the Government Postal Telegraph Department, deposed: I was engaged this morning in working on the line between Dover and Kearsney, and the deceased was employed on the same work. This morning, about 7.35, the deceased was working by himself on a telegraph post on Crabble bank. The line at this point is rather curved, but from the bank where he was at work – the left bank going towards London – a good view could be got for some distance up the line. I asked him to come down from the post and go to the Kearsney station to fetch some material. He lowered his ladder, and started on his way up the line, and it was while he was going there that the engine overtook him. When I saw him last he was walking alongside the rails on the left-hand side. I went in the opposite direction, towards the Priory. When I got there I saw the engine standing alongside the platform, and one of my mates called me and told me “Poor Jim was killed.” The deceased's body was on the tender, covered in straw. I looked at the body, and seeing he was dead, I cut his shoes off. He was very much injured. The engine at the station was the same engine and tender that had passed me half-an-hour previously. The engine was going by itself in the direction of Canterbury. From what I had heard a goods train had broken down, and this engine had brought it to Dover, and was then returning. The return of the engine was not expected; the workmen would not know the exact time of its return. It was a kind of extra train. I know nothing of the circumstances attending his death. It was about a third of a mile from where I left the deceased that the accident happened. I think the deceased must have been crossing the line, not expecting a train at that time, it being too early for the ordinary 7.45 train.

By a Juryman: The deceased was rather deaf at times.

William Clews deposed: I am the fireman of the engine “Tiger,” in the employ of the London, Chatham, and Dover railway Company. The engine driver's name is Chissell, and at the time of this accident we were going towards Canterbury. On going round a bit of a curve near Kearsney I perceived the engine run over some one by the stones flying up on the foot-plate, and on looking round perceived the remains of a man lying on the line, about 150 yards from the distance signal. I could feel no motion as of any obstruction at the time. I did not see anyone on the line as we advanced. We were going at the rate of 14 miles an hour. It was a special engine and perhaps would not have been expected by the workmen. We were returning to Chatham having brought a goods train down to Dover. At the time of the accident the engine driver was looking through the glass right a-head, and I was filling the boiler up. Chissell did not say he saw anyone.

By a Juryman: There is not any obstruction on the line in front of the engine.

Edward Chissell, deposed: I am the driver of the engine “Tiger” and in the employ of the London, Chatham, and Dover Railway Company. This morning I was going from Dover to Chatham, having previously brought a goods train here. The engine of the goods train broke down at Chatham, about three o'clock this morning. I was going towards Kearsney, when I saw the stones fly up on to the foot-plate. I was certain something was the matter under the engine. As soon as the tender got far enough for me to see, I looked behind it and saw the remains of deceased lying on the line. I was keeping a good look out at the time. I had not had any meals. We did not have time to get anything at Dover, as we had orders to proceed back to Chatham directly. I had nothing to drink at Dover, except some tea, which I had brought with me, and my fireman had the same. I had no spirits. The deceased could get before us suddenly by stepping from the bank. I started from Chatham this morning at 3.45 and was returning at 7.24. I have been in the company's employ for the last nine years, and have never had an accident before this. There was no occasion to blow the whistle this morning. We never do unless we see anyone on the line in front of us. The body of the deceased was lying on the up line.

By a Juryman: It was not foggy this morning, it was very clear. I should not have known I had run over deceased had not the stones sprung up on the foot-plate. I should have gone on without knowing it.

Mr. Ashby Greenough Osborne, a surgeon practising at Dover, deposed: this morning about a quarter to eight, I was summoned to the Priory Station to see the body of the deceased. I went immediately and found it lying in a tarpaulin sheet in the station on the platform. I examined him and found a severe scalp wound on the left side of the head, another wound on the lower lip, the right arm torn off above the elbow, and a wound on the left side of the abdomen, through which some intestines protruded. There was also a compound fracture of the left thigh, high up – in fact it was quite smashed. Death must have occurred very shortly, almost immediately, after the accident from loss of blood and the shock to the system.

The Jury, after consulting amongst themselves for a few minutes, returned a verdict of “Accidental Death,” and absolved the railway authorities from all blame in the matter.

Mr. Cox, station-master at the Harbour Station, Mr. B. F. Wright, of the locomotive department, and Mr. Kift, travelling inspector of the London, Chatham, and Dover Railway, were present during the enquiry.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 6 October, 1871. Price 1d.


William Smith, a man about forty years of age, of respectable appearance, and in the employ of the London, Chatham, and Dover Railway Company as a goods' guard, was charged with an assault of a serious nature upon a little girl eleven years of age, the daughter of Mrs. Jane Paramor, the landlady, of the “Alma Inn,” Folkestone Road, in a railway carriage, on the premises of the company's station at the Priory, on the previous Thursday afternoon.

Mr. Moores, an inspector of the London, Chatham, and Dover Railway, said he had been instructed by the Manager to attend and watch the case on behalf of the Company, and to answer any question that their worships might think proper to put to him as to the prisoner's character. At the same time, he begged permission to state that he had consulted the prisoner, who had asked him to crave their worships' indulgence for a remand, so that he might be enabled to procure the attendance of a solicitor. He (Mr. Moores) had received a telegraphic message apprizing him of the circumstances only late on the previous night, and there had consequently been no opportunity of doing this.

The Magistrates said they had no objection to granting a remand, although they must first hear some evidence, as to determine whether the prisoner ought to be detained at all.

The following witnesses were then examined:-

Thomas Stream: I live at 2, Tower Hamlets, and am an engine-fitter's labourer in the employ of the London, Chatham, and Dover Railway Company. On Thursday afternoon last about four o'clock, I was engaged in removing bricks from the back of the engine-shed, at the Priory Station, when I saw the complainant, Fanny Paramor, come through the workman's gate near the railway, in company with the prisoner. Both went towards the carriage shed. The prisoner came through first, and the little girl followed.

George Hammond: I live at 1, St. George's Street, and am an engine-cleaner in the employ of the London, Chatham, and Dover Railway Company. On Thursday afternoon I was employed with the last witness, in removing bricks at the back of the shed, when I also saw the complainant come in at the gate leading from Folkestone Road. She came in just behind a man, but I should not be able to identify him as the prisoner.

The witness then asked to look at the prisoner; but he failed to recognise him as the man he had seen.

Witness: The man said the little girl went towards the engine shed; but I saw no more of them afterwards.

William Palmer: I live at the “Alma Inn,” Folkestone Road, and am a platelayer on the London, Chatham, and Dover Railway . the complainant is my niece. On Thursday afternoon, about twenty-five minutes past five, as I and four other men in the employ of the Company were standing beside the tool-box at the Priory Station, I heard a child screaming. I went towards the carriage shed, from which the screams proceeded, when I saw the complainant stepping out of a third-class carriage. She cried out, “Uncle, uncle, a man has got me in the carriage.” I asked her where the man had gone to, and she said she did not know. I asked her what he had been doing; and in consequence of what she told me I called one of the other men. As I was speaking to him I saw the prisoner leave the shed and cross the line. I called to the spot all the porters who were engaged about the shed; but the complainant said the man was not one of them, but that he had a cover on his cap. When I saw the prisoner cross the rails he was fifty or sixty yards away from me.

By the Bench: The prisoner did wear a cover on his cap.

It was determined that the prisoner should be remanded at this stage of the proceedings; and after some conversation it was arranged to adjourn the further hearing to Saturday (to-morrow), the Magistrates offering to accept two sureties of 20 each for his appearance.


From the Dover Express and East Kent Intelligencer, 25 October, 1871. Price 1d.


On Monday afternoon last, while a bricklayer named Charles Toms, in the employ of Mr. G. Crothall, was employed on the premises of the London, Chatham and Dover Railway Company, at the Priory Station, in some drainage excavations, a portion of the ground which had been excavated gave way, and although the debris did not extend higher than the unfortunate man's stomach, the weight of earth was so considerable as to destroy life. It is calculated that not more than five minutes elapsed from the fall to the time of the poor fellow's complete liberation, yet it is doubtful whether he had not ceased to live some time before the whole of the earth had been removed, his last words being “My poor wife and family!” The deceased leaves a wife and four children.

The Borough Coroner, W. H. Payn, Esq., held an inquest on the unfortunate man's remains on the following afternoon. (Tuesday), at the “Alma Inn,” Folkestone Road.

Mr. J. Palfrey having been chosen as foreman, the Jury proceeded to view the body and also the spot at which the accident occurred. It seemed that the deceased was engaged in laying bricks at the bottom of a man-hole, the hole being about seven feet square. On one side of the man-hole, there was a cutting leading into it, at some few feet higher level, and a fellow workman was employed in the cutting when the earth gave out. He shouted to the deceased, who had time only to stand with his back against the cutting when the mass fell upon the lower part of him, jamming him completely in. Had he had sufficient time to have leaped into the cutting, the probability is that he would have remained uninjured. The Jury having carefully examined the scene of the accident, and returned to the Jury room, the following evidence was adduced:-

William Toms: I reside at Tower Hamlets, and am foreman of sawmills, in the employ of Mr. P. Stiff. The deceased was my brother, and was 43 years of age. He was a bricklayer in the employ of Mr. George Chrothall, and lived in Hartley Street, Durham Hill. I know nothing of the circumstances attending his death. He was very temperate and sober in his habits, and was a good skilful workman. He was a married man, and leaves a wife and four children.

Thomas O'Flaherty: I am an executive, living at 2, Ladywell Court, and am in the employ of Mr. G. Crothall. I was employed yesterday in company with the deceased, near a shed at the Priory Station of the London, Chatham and Dover Railway. We were employed on some drainage work, lying between the Folkestone Road and the Railway Station. About three o'clock in the afternoon the deceased was at work, laying the brickwork in a man-hole, which forms part of the drainage system. I was at the same time employed in excavating a drain leading to the manhole, and was within two feet of the deceased, when he asked my opinion as to the way in which the pipe should come into the man-hole. As we were talking I perceived the lower part of the earth giving way, and I exclaimed, “Look out!” It was an impossibility for him to get out. The effect of the slip was to fill up the hole with earth as high as the deceased's stomach. He cried out to be released, and I immediately set about removing part of the earth, and tried to encourage him. He kept crying out, however, while I was removing the earth, as though in much pain. It took merely five minutes to get him out. Immediately after getting him out he appeared to become insensible. His last words were, “My poor wife and family!”

By the Coroner: We do not generally prop the earth up in excavations of that width and depth. The depth was 7 feet 3 inches originally, but he was 9 inches about that, as he had laid three courses of brick. The soil was clay, which is not generally inclined to give; but it had been disturbed once before for drainage purposes. The width was the same as the depth. It was a perfectly square hole. I have been an excavator all my life, and I should have thought there had not been the slightest danger in this case. The deceased had assisted me in the same work from the beginning, and we had both been working in the whole the day before. The only way I can account for the accident is that the ground is made ground, and would be likely to be affected by the recent rains. Perhaps about a ton of earth fell altogether, but only a portion fell upon the deceased the deceased was a sickly man.

Another workman was in attendance; but the evidence he was prepared to give as to the cause of the accident was only a repetition of O'Flaherty's testimony, and the Coroner did not, therefore, think it necessary to examine him. In reply to the doctor, however, the witness said that, before the deceased was liberated, he turned pallid and blue, and vomited slightly.

William George, inspector of permanent way in the employ of the London, Chatham, and Dover Railway Company: It is my duty to inspect all works on the Company's premises. I visited the excavation in question at 8 o'clock yesterday morning, and from my examination of it, I considered it safe. If I had not, I should have ordered it to be timbered. I consider the falling in of the manhole was owing to the previous disturbance of the earth for laying of other drainage. This had probably left some loose earth between the old drain and the new excavation; and this caused the side of the manhole to give. This defect could not have been observed; and I consider the falling in of the earth entirely accidental.

Thomas William Colbeck: I am a surgeon residing and practising in Dover. Yesterday afternoon, a few minutes after three o'clock, I had just arrived at the station by a down train, and upon alighting from the carriage, I saw some men carrying something which looked like a stretcher across the line. Thinking there might have been an accident I went up to them to see if I could render any assistance. I saw the deceased, who appeared to be quite dead. I accompanied him to a shed, to which he was carried, where I examined him. I found no external wounds, nor evidence of any fractures; but from an examination of the scene of the accident, and from the evidence I have heard today, I think it probably that he died from the shock of the blow, and from the great pressure of the earth upon him.

The Jury, without hesitation, returned a verdict of “Accidental Death.”



A one time outlet of Thompson and Son, the number once read 19. It changed when various terraces were incorporated into the numbering of the road and was number 37 by 1913.


From the Dover Express, Friday 4 September 1914



At the Dover Police Court on Monday, before Messrs. J. Scott (in the chair) and W. D. Atkins.

Mr. Ledbury, of Messrs. Thompson and Son (brewers), applied for the temporary transfer of the licence of the "Alma," Folkestone Road, from H. Wurz.

The Chief Constable explained that it was case where the licence was held by a German subject, who was given a permit to remain in the town. His conduct had not been satisfactory, and, in consequence, the Fortress Commander felt it desirable that the man should be sent to the Castle. He was taken there on Friday and was being detained by the Military Authorities. He had signed the necessary notices as to the transfer. There was nothing against the character.

Mr. Ledbury said that the licensee's wife was a British subject and the brewers asked that she should be allowed to remain as it was her only means of earning a livelihood. The Military Authorities were prepared to agree.

The Chief Constable said that he had no objection, and the application was granted.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 12 February, 1915. Price 1d.


At the Dover Police Court on Monday, before Messrs. F. W. Prescott and W. D. Atkins, the licence of the “Alma,” Folkestone Road was transferred to William Wilshire, who had been employed at the Dover Gas Works as a stoker for the last 24 years. The licence has for some time past been held by the secretary to the brewers, Messrs. Thompson, the last tenant having left owing to his being of German nationality.

The Chairman: Are you going to keep on at the Gas Works, or give your whole attention to the house?

Applicant: I shall keep on there until I see how things go.


From the Dover Express and East Kent News, Friday, 9 October, 1931. Price 1d.


Licences for music and singing to George William Woodard of the "Alma Inn," Folkestone Road, Dover.

Mr. Chitty, who appeared on behalf of Mr. Overton, said that although the hall was really for private dancing lessons, the applicant wished to have social or public dances occasionally.

The Chief Constable said that the hall was 60ft by 18ft, and had two exits and accommodation.


Dover Express 29th August 1947.


At Dover on Monday, before Mr. G. Golding presiding, Joseph John Bergin of 2 Effingham Passage appeared on charges of causing damage to the value of 4. 10s to panelling and glass at the “Alma” public house, Folkestone Road, on Saturday night and of assaulting Thomas John Millen, the manager of the premises, and his wife, Mrs. Annie Sarah Millen.

Defendant pleaded guilty to the first charge but not guilty to the charges of assault.

Thomas John Millen said he and his wife were serving behind the bar at the “Alma” at about 9.45 on Saturday night, when defendant came in and ordered a pint of AB. A couple who had been sitting in the bar called “Goodnight” as they went out and it was then that Bergin started becoming offensive. He broke two pint glasses, the glass and panels of the doors then grabbed hold of the handles of the beer pumps and said he was going to pull the house down. Next he got hold of witness and ripped the arm of his shirt.

Defendant, questioning witness, asked if it was not right that he had won half a pint on the pin table on the Saturday morning, another in the evening and had been refused both. “After what happened” asked defendant, "Did you give me the pint I was entitled to and did I sup it and go?”

Witness agreed that, after the trouble, his wife served defendant with a drink, but said it was to pacify him.

Mrs. Millen said she turned to her husband after defendant started being abusive to her and said “I can’t tolerate this man. I am going to leave the bar” Bergin, she said, then called for a drink which her husband refused to serve and it was then he became really violent. He tried to wrench the clock from the wall of the bar, kicked in the panel of a door, hit her on the chest and knocked her backwards on to the wine cabinet, then picked up a pint glass and threw it at her. After that he went across and struck at her husband and tore his shirt. Mrs. Millen said she grabbed hold of a stick and hit defendant with it. He was still calling for drink and, in order to pacify him, she served him with one, which he drank and then went away.

Thomas Hookings, a pensioner of Maison Dieu Rd., said he was in the private bar and heard “a bit of an argument going on”. There was the sound of smashing glass and defendant, coming into the bar where he was sitting, picked up his pint of beer and threw it at the landlord.

PC Miller said he went to the “Alma” in response to a telephone call at about 10.15 on Saturday night. Broken glass was lying about, both inside and outside the premises and the bar was in a state of disorder. He saw Bergin at his home and asked him to accompany him to the Police Station. Bergin replied “I am not going”. He was taken to the Police Station where he was charged and in reply said “I deny all the charges”.

In reply to the Chairman, witness said the defendant had been drinking but was not drunk.

Defendant, giving evidence, claimed he was owed 6d from the Saturday morning and another 6d in the evening by Mr. & Mrs. Millen. He said he asked them for it and Mr. Millen replied “You’re always asking for something”. They started to have a row and it was when he took the stick away from Mrs. Millen that the glasses went over and were broken.” Then Mr. Millen came to have a smack at me”, said defendant “and I had one at him”.

The Chairman, imposing fines of 10s on each of the three charges, told defendant he would have to pay the 4. 10s in addition to making good the damage he had caused and advised him to keep away from the “Alma” in future.

Defendant: “Will you put a stop to the gambling machine they’ve got there?”

The Chairman: That’s nothing to do with this case.


Serving Thomson and Sons in 1974 this later became a Charington's tied house.

The pub gained a Grade 2 listing on 17 December 1973.


This later became a free house and trading under the name of the "Renaissance." However, after that closed and a cafe opened, that too had a very short time period and closed within four weeks of opening.


From the Dover Express, 27 May 2010


Health and safety investigation after complaint received

Report by Yamural Zendera

Alma 2010

A DOVER cafe that closed within a month of opening, following a fallout between the owner and the managers, is being investigated by the district council, the Express has learned.

The Alma Cafe Express in Folkestone Road, near Dover Priory railway station, stopped trading when managers Maxine and Grant Simpson, from London, quit on May 1.

The Express can confirm that health and safety officers are currently probing a complaint against the business.

Speaking last Friday, owner Leo Pushman told the Express he was unconcerned about the investigation.

He said: "I have the letter but I have no idea what they are going to investigate."

Businessman Mr Pushman said he was expecting health and safety officers this week. He has put the premises up for sale with a 15-year lease.

It's all a far cry from the cafe's opening on April 9, when its advertisements promised it would serve authentic cuisine and drinks, and its arrival was welcomed by users of the Dover Forum website for bringing an empty building - formerly the "Renaissance" pub - back into use.

Former managers Maxine and Grant, who have four children between them, were hired via an employment agency.

The couple moved down from London on March 30 and were staying in a two-bedroom flat in Worthington Street. They have returned to the capital.

Previously the pair were living in Alicante, Spain, for two years, running a bar and restaurant.

Maxine said: "We are just putting it down to a bad experience. We have just got to move on."

A council spokesman said: "Although we can not comment on individual cases, health and safety officers are currently investigating a complaint."




COOMBES Elizabeth 1857

PARAMOR William 1858-1860 dec'd (age 56 in 1861Census) Melville's 1858 (Extra history)

PARAMOR Mrs Maria 1860-89 (age 77 in 1881Census) Post Office Directory 1874Post Office Directory 1882

PARAMOR William 1889-95 (age 60 in 1891Census) Post Office Directory 1891Pikes 1895

WHITE James 1899-Nov/1900 Kelly's Directory 1899Dover Express

GEORGE William James Nov/1900-Dec/04 Post Office Directory 1903Post Office Directory 1903Kelly's 1903Dover Express

CLEARY John William Dec/1904-07 Dover Express (Late Sergeant-instructor of the Border Regiment.)

THATCHER Ernest George 1907-09 (HATCHER Pikes 1909)

Last pub licensee had TERRY William 1909 0nly

HATCHER 1909 end

Last pub licensee had BOORMAN George 1909-10 dec'd

LAVERTY Percy 1910-13 (age 32 in 1911Census) Post Office Directory 1913Kelly's 1913

Last pub licensee had WURZ Henry William 1913-Sept/14

WURZ Mrs Sept/1914+

LIDBURY E J 25/Dec/1914 (Representative of Messrs. Thompson & Co.) Who had obtained another appointment at Liverpool. Dover Express

TAYLOR Mr J J (Secretary Messrs. Thompson & Co.) Dover Express

WATTS H 1915 ?

WILSHER William Feb/1915-Aug/31 Post Office Directory 1918Post Office Directory 1922Pikes 1923Pikes 1924Post Office Directory 1930Dover Express

WOODARD George William Aug/1931-Aug/33 Dover ExpressPikes 1932-33 (Of Gosport, late Sergeant  in Marine Police.)

TOWN Thomas John Aug/1933-Dec/34 Dover Express (Beckenham grocer.)

DREDGE Bertram Charles Dec/1934-38 Dover ExpressPost Office Directory 1938

MILLEN Thomas J 1938-June/49 dec'd Pikes 1938-39Pikes 48-49Dover Express

MILLEN Mrs Anne Sarah (widow) June/1949-3/Mar/50 Dover ExpressKelly's Directory 1950

BOUSFIELD W Frederick 3/Mar/1950-29/Mar/57 Kelly's Directory 1953Kelly's Directory 1956

MORLEY Claude R July-Sept 1957 Dover Express

CREMER Alfred H Sept/1957-Aug/68 Dover Express

Last pub licensee had GRIFFITHS R T Aug/1968-70+

WHEELER Harold L 1972-78 Library archives 1974 Thompson & Sons

VIRTUE Glen 1987 Next pub licensee had

RIPLEY Ian 1993



Melville's 1858From Melville's Directory 1858

Post Office Directory 1874From the Post Office Directory 1874

Post Office Directory 1882From the Post Office Directory 1882

Post Office Directory 1891From the Post Office Directory 1891

Pikes 1895From Pikes Dover Blue Book 1895

Kelly's Directory 1899From the Kelly's Directory 1899

Post Office Directory 1903From the Post Office Directory 1901

Post Office Directory 1903From the Post Office Directory 1903

Kelly's 1903From the Kelly's Directory 1903

Pikes 1909From Pikes Dover Blue Book 1909

Kelly's 1913From the Kelly's Directory 1913

Post Office Directory 1913From the Post Office Directory 1913

Post Office Directory 1918From the Post Office Directory 1918

Post Office Directory 1922From the Post Office Directory 1922

Pikes 1923From Pikes Dover Blue Book 1923

Pikes 1924From Pikes Dover Blue Book 1924

Post Office Directory 1930From the Post Office Directory 1930

Pikes 1932-33From Pikes Dover Blue Book 1932-33

Post Office Directory 1938From the Post Office Directory 1938

Pikes 1938-39From Pikes Dover Blue Book 1938-39

Pikes 48-49From Pikes Dover Blue Book 1948-49

Kelly's Directory 1950From the Kelly's Directory 1950

Kelly's Directory 1953From the Kelly's Directory 1953

Kelly's Directory 1956From the Kelly's Directory 1956

Library archives 1974Library archives 1974

Dover ExpressFrom the Dover Express



If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-