Sort file:- Sheerness, March, 2024.

Page Updated:- Wednesday, 27 March, 2024.


Earliest 1856-

Clarence Hotel

Latest 1860+




I have only found one instance of this hotel at present, and unfortunately no definite location apart from Sheerness. I am assuming it had a drinks license.


Faversham Gazette, 12 January 1856.


[Before the Rev. J. Poore, D.D., E. Twopeny, Esq., Sir J. M. Tylden, W. Bland, and J. D. Dyke, Esqrs., and the Rev. G. B. Moore.]

Patrick Sheen, a sailor, pleaded guilty to stealing a bundle of linen from the "Clarence Hotel," at Sheerness, belonging to Thomas Wood, and was committed to the House of Correction for three calendar months.


Sheerness Guardian, 4 August, 1860.


At the "Clarence Hotel," Sheerness on Monday, the 30th July, an inquest was held by Thomas Hills, Esq., coroner, to enquire touching the death of John Carroll, a private in the Tipperary Militia Artillery.

The jury consisted of the following gentlemen Messrs G. Hogben, (foreman), E. J. French, J. Bulling. E. H. Shrubsole, J. Saffery, S. Hooker, J. Skinner, C. Polson, W. Waugh, J. Barnaby, J. Hogben, H. S. Stephenson. A. W. Howe, and G. Fife.

Gunner G. M. Carroll, private of Tipperary Militia, deposed that deceased man his brother, and was 22 years of age. On Sunday morning, 29th inst., witness was in his quarters in the barracks, and deceased was there also. The corporal of the room told deceased to throw down a pair of trousers that were lying on a shelf, which were not properly folded. Deceased did as the corporal told him. The trousers in question belonged to a man named Patrick Phennessy, who soon after came in and asked who had thrown his trousers down, he was told that the deceased had done so by the corporal's orders. Deceased was at this time sitting on his bed and his squad bag laying beside him. Phennessy went to deceased and threw the squad bag off the bed, deceased then struck Phennessy and Phennessy returned the blow; they then caught hold of each other and a struggle ensued, which lasted 3 or 4 minutes, when deceased fell down on the floor and shortly expired. Deceased was not knocked down, but fell without a blow; there was not any severe blows given on either side, and there was no previous ill-feeling between Phennessy and deceased.

James Dempster, M.D., Surgeon to the regiment, deposed that about 11 a m., the previous day, (Sunday), he was called to see the deceased, but on his arrival found that life was extinct. There were no external marks of violence. Witness had since made a post mortem examination of the body, and found the heart very much diseased, quite sufficiently so to account for death, and he had no doubt but that he (deceased) had died naturally from diseased heart. Excitement such as described by the last witness or excitement from my other cause, would be likely to cause instantaneous death. If any hard blows had been given by Phennessy, the marks must have been visible.

Patrick Mare bombardier, was examined and corroborated the testimony of the first witness.

The Coroner and several jurymen cross questioned the witnesses minutely, but their testimony remains unshaken.

The coroner then summed up and described the law on the subject, remarking that they could not find a verdict of manslaughter unless it had been proved the deceased died from violence inflicted by Phennessy.

The jury after consulting for a short time returned a verdict to the effect that deceased died from diseased heart.

The man Patrick Phennessy was present during the whole of the enquiry, and appeared to suffer great mental agony. After the proceedings were ended, he was removed to hospital. Several officers of the regiment also were in attendance to watch the case.


South Eastern Gazette, 25 September, 1860.

Petty Sessions, Monday (Before E. Twopeny, Esq., in the chair, Sir J. M. Tylden, the Rev. G. B. Moore, and J. Dixon Dyke, Esqrs,)

The following applications were then made.

By Mr. Wightwick, for William Carpenter, beer-shop keeper, near the railway station, Sittingbourne, ("Globe and Engine") opposed by Mr. Hills, for the landlord of the "Fountain;" for J. C. Lombardy, of the "Prince of Wales" beer-shop, Smith's-hill, also opposed by Mr. Hills; and for Daniel Cooks, of the "Army and Navy" beer-shop, Blue Town, Sheerness.

By Mr. Hills for John Wood, Manor-street, Rainham; ("Unknown Name") for John Mills, of the "Good Intent," Mile Town, Sheerness; for John William Attwater, beer seller, of West Minster; and for Joseph Henry Burley, of the "Clarence Hotel," for a new house intended to be built in another part of Sheerness, opposed by Mr. Wightwich.

By Mr. Stephenson, for James Hughes, of Warden, near Eastchurch, opposed by Mr. Wilghtwick; and by Mr. Craven for John Selling, of Marine Town, Sheerness, opposed by Mr. Hills.

The magistrates having retired, on their return into Court announced they had granted licenses to John Wood, and Daniel Cook, of Blue Town, Sheerness; and others refused.




WOOD Thomas 1856+


If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-