Sort file:- Sittingbourne, March, 2024.

Page Updated:- Wednesday, 27 March, 2024.


Earliest 1853

Prince of Wales

Closed 2010

27-31 Canterbury Road

1 Malcolm Place in 1871Census (23 in 1881Census)


Prince of Wales 2005

Above photo 14 March 2005.

Prince of Wales

Above Google image, date unknown.

Former Prince of Wales 2022

Above Google image, October 2022.

Prince of Wales sign 1986

Above sign, May 1986.

With thanks from Brian Curtis


Situated at the top of Snipes Hill, the pub closed, in 2010 and is now (2014) a Flame Grill takeaway Indian restaurant.


Southeastern Gazette, 27 September 1853.

SITTINGBOURNE. Adjourned Licensing Meeting.

Monday being the adjourned annual licensing meeting, the magistrates were engaged a long time in issuing the licenses. All the old licenses were renewed. Mr. E. Hoar, of Maidstone, applied for a license for Thomas Chesson, of Snape’s-hill, (sic) near Sittingbourne, and produced a testimonial signed by a great many persons. He also gave a statistical account of the population of Sittingbourne, and urged as a reason for the license being granted, the large and increasing population in the neighbourhood of the house in question.



South Eastern Gazette, 25 September, 1860.

Petty Sessions, Monday (Before E. Twopeny, Esq., in the chair, Sir J. M. Tylden, the Rev. G. B. Moore, and J. Dixon Dyke, Esqrs,)

The following applications were then made.

By Mr. Wightwick, for William Carpenter, beer-shop keeper, near the railway station, Sittingbourne, ("Globe and Engine") opposed by Mr. Hills, for the landlord of the "Fountain;" for J. C. Lombardy, of the "Prince of Wales" beer-shop, Smith's-hill, also opposed by Mr. Hills; and for Daniel Cooks, of the "Army and Navy" beer-shop, Blue Town, Sheerness.

By Mr. Hills for John Wood, Manor-street, Rainham; ("Unknown Name") for John Mills, of the "Good Intent," Mile Town, Sheerness; for John William Attwater, beer seller, of West Minster; and for Joseph Henry Burley, of the "Clarence Hotel," for a new house intended to be built in another part of Sheerness, opposed by Mr. Wightwich.

By Mr. Stephenson, for James Hughes, of Warden, near Eastchurch, opposed by Mr. Wilghtwick; and by Mr. Craven for John Selling, of Marine Town, Sheerness, opposed by Mr. Hills.

The magistrates having retired, on their return into Court announced they had granted licenses to John Wood, and Daniel Cook, of Blue Town, Sheerness; and others refused.


Kentish Gazette, 28 March 1876.


Yesterday morning (Monday), an inquest was held at the "Prince of Wales Inn," before Mr. Coroner Hills, and a jury of whom Mr. William Millen, was foreman, respecting the death of Elisa Copping, an infant about two months old, daughter of William Copping, labourer, of George Street, Sittingbourne. It appeared that on Friday night Mrs. Copping went to bed at about one o'clock, and her husband did not do till three, as he was attending a meeting of the Sittingbourne Co-operative Society. The child was all right then, but at six o'clock when Mrs. Copping awoke she found the child lying across her breast, with its face downwards. It was dead. Her husband went for the doctor.

Dr. Henry Grant Sutton deposed that the cause of death was suffocation.

The jury returned a verdict to the effect that the child had been accidentally overlaid.


From local paper 1885


Edward Parker, Late of the “Ship Inn” Sittingbourne in the County of Kent Publican who died 3 December 1885 proved by Edward Henry Bones of the "Prince of Wales" Sittingbourne, Publican the sole Executor.


From the Kent and Sussex Courier, 13 April, 1901.


On Saturday, an inquest was held before Mr. Coroner Boys and a jury of which Mr. John Eastland was foreman, on the body of Sarah Allen, of Westgate-on-Sea, aged 68 years of age, as the result of a gas explosion.Cold caller trying to sell me cover for a washing machine.
If I want this service I would call them, or someone I can check to see if legitimate.

Mr. William Allen, of Sittingbourne, publican and brickmaker, identified the body as that of his sister, who was unmarried. He last saw her alive three weeks before Christmas. She was caretaker at Everaleigh House, Westgate. He thought she lived there alone at this time of year. He believed she had lived there twelve or thirteen years. When the family were there, she remained in the house.

Mr. Charles Knowles, of Corabelle, Westgate, said Everaleigh House adjourned his residence. At about a 5.15 on Thursday morning, he and his family heard an explosion and the breaking of glass. They at once got up, and then saw Everaleigh House on fire in places. The deceased was outside the house at the side entrance. She was moaning and the very little clothing she had on was alight. He put a few things on and rushed down, but his daughter was down first, and took the poor woman into his house. She told his daughter that she would never stay in a house alone again. She wanted to go back into the house, but his daughter refused to allow her to do so. He went for the fire-brigade and called Dr. Streets on the way. They were there marvellously quickly. When he returned, he found her sitting on a chair. Her legs and feet were charred, and the skin was burnt off her hands. She did not appear to be in the pain he would have expected. The Dr. covered her with oiled cotton wool, and the ambulance arrived quickly and removed her to Margate Cottage Hospital. He did not hear her give any account of the occurrence, but he had heard there had been a gas explosion. In reply to Mr. Jones (a juror) he said the deceased was taken into his house within two minutes of the explosion.

Mr. Thornton, surgeon, said he was called to the deceased, who was at the Cottage Hospital, just before seven on Thursday morning, by telephone. He found her in bed. Hot bottles and other restoratives had already been applied. She was very severely burnt, practically over the whole of the body, and also, to a leaser degree, on her hands and feet. She was quite conscious. He asked her how the accident occurred, and she told him that, while in her bedroom, she noticed a smell of gas. So she put a shawl round her shoulders and went down. There was a strong smell of gas through the house, which she thought came from the drawing-room, the door of which she opened and went in; but the smell was not so great then as before. She then lit a match and put it up to the gas fitting to find the leak. The explosion then occurred. He asked her if she was sure it was a leak, and she said she was certain it was, and that no one could have gone into the room and left the gas turned on. She died about 12.30 the same day. Just before he returned to her. It was wonderful that, with her unusually severe burns, she should have lingered so long. She died suddenly from shock. The case was a hopeless one from the beginning.

Messrs. Boulting and Jones expressed dissatisfaction, as jurors, at the fact that Dr. Streets, the first medical man who saw the deceased, was not called as a witness.

The Coroner said he considered that quite unnecessary as he merely saw her condition the same as Sir. Thornton.

The Foreman said he was perfectly satisfied with the evidence that had been given, and he believed that was the feeling of the majority, especially at they did not think Dr. Streete could throw more light on the case. On a show of hands only two of the jurors (Messrs. Boalting and Jones) voted for an adjournment for Dr. Street’s attendance, and, after the Coroner had summed up, a verdict of "Accidental death from burns caused by an explosion of gas" was returned, the foreman adding that when there were escapes of gas the proper course to adopt was to open doors and windows and not to use a light to discover the cause.



CHESSON Thomas 1861+

CHESSON George 1870-71+ (age 41 in 1871Census)

CHESSON Eliza Mrs 1874+

BONES Edward H 1881-91+ (age 28 in 1881Census)

ALLEN William 1899-22+ (also brickmaker) Kelly's 1903

ALLSWORTH Leonard Edward 1930+

RAYNER Mark S 1938+



Kelly's 1903From the Kelly's Directory 1903


If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-