Page Updated:- Sunday, 07 March, 2021.


Earliest 1585

Junction Inn

Open 2020+

Station Road


01892 864275

Junction Hotel 1905

Above photo, 1905, kindly sent by whitemf.53

Junction Inn

Above photo, date unknown.

Junction Inn 1980s

Above photo, circa 1980s.

Junction Inn 2014

Above photo 2014.

Junction Inn matchbox 1980s

Above matchbox, circa 1980s.


Technically this pub is in East Sussex, but as Groombridge is apparently cut into two, with half being in Kent I'm including all the pubs in this village.


Kent & Sussex Courier, 8th July 1881 .



An inquest was held at the Tunbridge Wells Infirmary on Monday afternoon last by J. Rogers, Esq., coroner, on the body of Wm. Isaac Rye, who met with his death on the preceding Tuesday, under circumstances detailed in the evidence:-

The jury of which Mr. Walsh was chosen the foreman, having viewed the body, Sarah Stephenson, a married woman, of Groombridge, deposed to the deceased being her brother. He was twenty last birthday, was a labourer, and married. On the previous Wednesday in consequence of receiving information of the accident, she started out for Edenbridge, but on the way met her brother being brought in a van. She asked him how he became hurt, and he said he was offered an iron "nut", and his taking that was partly the cause of the accident. They were then told not talk to him. His wife did not live with him. She came with him to the Infirmary, and afterwards visited him on the Thursday. He was not then insensible.

Alfred Knight, a lad aged 11, a schoolboy, living at Edenbridge. deposed that on the previous Tuesday he saw a traction engine in Greybury Lane. There was one carriage attached to it, which was empty. It had been taking brick sand then returning to the brick- yard. There was a man riding on the truck. That was at about half past six, and half an hour before that he found a "nut,” which he believed belonged to the engine, was having his tea when the engine passed, but he ran out and offered the “nut” to the deceased, who was on the truck. He went right between the engine and the truck attached while in motion to give it him. He held the nut up to the deceased, and he reached out and took it out of his hand. The driver of the engine told him to get out the way, and he did so. On looking round a moment afterwards he saw the wheels passing over deceased's body. One wheel went over the lower part his body, and the other over the upper part his legs. The engine was stopped directly, someone calling out that there was a man run over.

In answer to the jury, witness said that the whole affair occurred in a few moments. He did not see deceased fall.

The Coroner remarked that the lad, by his conduct, put his own life in danger, and hoped this would warn him not to be indiscreet.

Annie Seal, of Godstone Grove, Edenbridge, a single woman, deposed that on the previous Tuesday she was standing some 30 to 40 yards from the engine, which was going towards the brickyard at about seven o'clock, when she saw a man riding on the front of the truck, with his feet on the back the engine. The last witness went between the engine wheels and truck wheels, but she was not close enough to see what happened. She afterwards saw the deceased tumble off the truck, and two wheels passed over him. She went to where he was lying, and asked him if he was much hurt. He replied! "I don t know. I don’t think I am." The engine was stopped directly. The deceased was taken to a neighbour’s house, by a juror. She heard the steerer tell him, "It is entirely your own fault, and had no one to blame but yourself." Deceased said, "He knew he had not, and that he had only himself and the boy to blame." They were perfectly sober. In answer to questions put to her, witness said that the manner in which deceased fell was that his feet went up in the air and he tumbled over. He had been cautioned not to sit there, but he would do so.

Superintendent Embery mentioned that there were three men with the engine, one being present as a witness, one absent, the other being deceased — Charles Turner, who was showing the engine, gave corroborative evidence, and said the deceased was perfectly sober. He did not see deceased fall. There was about four feet space between the engine and the truck. There was no sudden jolt to cause deceased to fall off. Deceased had been cautioned not to sit in the position he was riding in.

Eliza Baldwin said the deceased was brought her house after the accident, and she remained with him all night. Dr. Gregory attended him, and ordered his removal to the Infirmary next day.

Mr Edwin Tanner, of the "Junction Hotel," Groombridge, proprietor and owner of the engine, was called, and said the position in which deceased was riding was a most dangerous one, and he had been cautioned about it.

Mr Footner, house surgeon at the Infirmary, was examined, and described the injuries deceased had received. It appeared that the internal injuries sustained the deceased were an extensive character, and quite sufficient to account for death.

The Coroner said he held this inquest because he thought it desirable to have such cases thoroughly inquired into.

The jury thoroughly concurred in the course adopted by the Coroner, and returned verdict of "Accidental death."

Mr. Tanner was requested to caution his men with a view of preventing a recurrence of such accidents.


From the Sussex Express, 16 June 1891.


Present: C. H, Gatty, Esq. (in the chair), K. R, Merchison Esq., T. C. Thompson, Esq., and the Rev C. W. Payne Crawpurd.


Edwin Tanner was summoned for permitting drunkenness and disorderly conduct on his premises, the "Junction Inn," Groombridge, on May 13th.

Mr. H. Prince prosecuted on behalf of the police, and Mr. W. Cripps defended. In his opening remarks, Mr. Prince pointed out that the defendant had conducted his house previously without complaint for 18 years, but he thought the evidence would show the defendant did allow what the police considered to be drunkenness and disorderly conduct. Mr. Prince also called attention to the fact that the defendant did not take out the summons against Weller for refusing to quit until after the summons in this case had been served.

P.C. Baldwin deposed that on Saturday, the 30th May, he made three visits to the "Junction Hotel." On the first occasion he saw Arthur Weller sitting on a table in the parlour, and one of the defendant's sons was at the piano. There was the usual Saturday night "sing-song" going on. He afterwards heard bad language being used in the room by Weller. Witness also heard a scuffle and went back to the room. He saw Weller and another man fighting, and separated them. Witness went into the front of the house, and whilst standing there the window of the parlour was smashed, and he went to the room again, and found Weller on the floor, with his face covered with blood. Witness picked Weller up and advised him to go home, but this he refused to do, and he carried him out; he was afterwards taken away by Mr. Luxford. Weller was very drunk and using bad language. Witness had a conversation with defendant on the subject, and told him he should report the matter.

Harry Lucas, who attended on subpoena, gave evidence with regard to the fight.

Henry Walter Goodsail, farm labourer, also adduced corroborative testimony.

P.S. Relf proved serving the summons on June 6th. Defendant said there was no drunkenness and no fighting, and it was all the work of a minute. He said he should have gone to East Grinstead to take out a summons against Weller, but he had not been able. Mr. Cripps dealt with the excellent manner in which the defendant had conducted his house for the last 18 1/2 years, and said that before they could convict him they must be satisfied that he really permitted the drunkenness and disorderly conduct.

The defendant was then sworn, and deposed that he had kept the "Junction Inn" for 18 1/2 years without complaint. On the evening in question Weller came in the house about nine o’clock, but ordered no drink. Later on Weller played his violin to the piano with witness's son. Witness only saw the constable enter the room once, and did not know there was any disturbance until he saw Weller being pulled out. He heard no bad language used in the room.

Edwin Mark Tanner, defendant's son, also gave evidence, and said he could not say Weller was drunk, and did not know whether he had anything to drink at all. He, however, heard Weller use bad language.

Thomas Large, labourer, who engaged in the scuffle with Weller, and Henry Bonwick gave corroborative evidence.

The bench were unanimous in dismissing the case.


It is not certain whether this was a coaching inn, although the licensee Edward Tanner owned traction engines as well as coaches and horses that were hired out for weddings etc. The Junction Inn still has the original stable block in the grounds where the above carriages were stored. More a home for the resident Robin family than horses these days though!

The adjoining Long Room was not originally part of the pub, and was in fact built to (ratherly snugly) house the Navvies who built the Spa Valley Steam Railway, situated opposite. Since then it has been home to Canadian troops and a Tea Room before being turned in to the Games Room it is today. Although local man Keith Gross goes on to tell me the following:- "Not sure about the Long Room being used by the Canadian soldiers stationed in the village, they had the hut over the road, later to become a doctor’s surgery and now the guide hut. I can however tell you that the Long Room was used as a drill hall by the London Rifle Brigade. My father was a Regimental Sergeant Major in the London Rifle Brigade and was billeted in Hardwick House opposite the pub in Springfield Road before being deployed to North Africa. My father met my mother who lived in the village when she was playing stall ball on the sports field opposite the pub."


Junction Inn 2020

During the covid lockdown to start on 2nd December 2020, as the pub is deemed to be in East Sussex which was in tier 2, this was allowed to remain open, yet the "Crown" a short walk away and addressed as Kent " which was in tier 3 was not allowed to trade at all.



TANNER Edward M 1873-1901+ (age 44 in 1901Census)

TANNER Frederick (son) 1902 Next pub licensee had

???? Sue & John 1980s



If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-