DOVER KENT ARCHIVES

Page Updated:- Wednesday, 11 August, 2021.

PUB LIST PUBLIC HOUSES Paul Skelton

Earliest 1881

(Name from)

Queen Phillippa

Closed 2013

171 High Street

Queenborough

https://whatpub.com/queen-phillipa

Queen Philippa

Above photo, date unknown.

Queen Phillippa 2009

Above image from Google, July 2009.

Queen Phillippa sign 1991

Above sign, April 1991.

With thanks from Brian Curtis www.innsignsociety.com.

 

The "Queen Philippa" remembers the wife of Edward III, the famous Philippa of Hainault who begged for clemency from her husband for the burghers of Calais after he captured the town in 1347. His queen first visited the town, then called Bynnee, in 1366; it was later renamed in her honour. But the great castle constructed by Edward between 1361-77 has gone, leaving only an earth mound near the railway station.

 

Whitstable Times and Herne Bay Herald, Saturday 17 September 1881.

Queenborough Licensing Session.

The annual licensing session for the borough of Queenborough was held on Saturday last, before the Mayor (Mr. John Hall), and the senior jurat, Mr. G.. Filmer. More than ordinary interest attached to the session on account of there being an application for the new licence by Mr. John Mill McKenzie (formerly of Dover), for the "Queen Philippa Hotel," which has recently been erected near the station, upon the site occupied by the "Railway Hotel," which was burnt to the ground 10 years ago. Mr. J. Copland appeared on behalf of the applicant and presented a memorial in support of the application, signed by all the farmers of the district, who occupied between 5,000 and 6,000 acres of land, and 58 ratepayers of the borough. He contended that the applicant ought to be granted for the convenience of travellers, no less than 32,000 tickets being issued from Queenborough station during last year, and there was no place of refreshment in the immediate vicinity. Mr. R. Prall, solicitor, opposed the application on behalf of the landlord of the "Rose Inn," and the lessee of the "Castle Tavern." He urged that six public houses were quite sufficient for the wants of a town of 991 inhabitants, 300 of which whom were children, and 150 total abstainers. The new hotel was also opposite the board schools, and this was calculated to have a demoralizing effect upon the children. He presented a petition signed by the Vicar, churchwardens, and about 40 ratepayers against the application. Mr. Mersett on behalf of the Queenborough Temperance Society, also opposed the application. The Bench considered that further accommodation was necessary, and accordingly granted the application. Superintendent Mayne offered no objection the whole of the existing licences were then renewed. We believe the decision of the Queenborough magistrates has to be confirmed by the county justices before it can be acted upon.

 

Canterbury Journal, Kentish Times and Farmers' Gazette, Saturday 19 March 1904.

Sittingbourne. Publican Convicted.

At the Sittingbourne Petty sessions on Monday, William Henry Hooker, landlord of the "Queen Philippa," Queenborough was summoned for selling intoxicating liquor to a man who was drunk on March 3rd; and a man named John Edwards was summoned for refusing to quit licensed premises when requested by Hooker to do so.

The evidence showed that Edwards had been drinking that evening, and he went into the "Queen Philippa" while under the influence of drink. It was contended that Hooker did not serve Edwards, but the latter, when refused, stayed in the house for an hour with some men who were there.

In the case against Hooker it was contended that Mrs. Hooker served the man, but this was denied.

After a hearing of two hours the bench convicted. Hooker was fined 2, with 1 8s. costs, and Edwards 10s. with 17s. costs.

 

From The People, Sunday 5 December 1915.

QUEEN MARY'S CHRISTMAS CARD.

King Edward III, Queen Philippa, and Edward the Black Prince.

Philippa kept the birthday of her mighty land at Woodstock in 1345. There, in that sylvan place, where she had spent the first years of her happy wedlock, did also find herself in her middle age, surrounded by a train of beautiful children, at the head of which was Edward Prince of Wales, then on the eve of winning his fast mead of renown.

This Charming picture, from the brush of Mr. J. Finnemore, R. I., has been selected by the Queen as a Christmas card. The work of reproduction has been excellently carried out by Messrs. Gale and Polden (Ltd.), of Amon-corner, E.C.

 

From the http://www.kentonline.co.uk 04 August 2014 by Lewis Dysonldyson

Former Queen Phillippa pub in Queenborough High Street being redeveloped into bed and breakfast and cafe.

A former Sheppey pub is to be given a new lease of life as a bed and breakfast and cafe in a 170,000 redevelopment.

Finishing touches to turn the "Queen Phillippa" into the two new businesses is still ongoing but it is planned to be open on Thursday, August 7.

The site in High Street, Queenborough, has been closed for more than a year and was purchased in January by Adam Ervin and Danny Pain for around 210,000.

Queen Philippa 2014

The former Queen Phillippa pub in Queenborough which is being converted to a B&B and cafe.

It represents a new venture for the Bermondsey-based businessmen.

They turn one side of it into an 11 room B&B, with six double beds, four twins and one single, all of which are en suite, while the other will be a traditional cafe.

The outside will remain the same look and it will keep the pub’s name.

It has provided jobs for four local people so far which could grow higher in the future as the owners intend to step back from the business once it is up and running. Until then they will take it in turns working from the site.

The inside has been completely gutted and new plumbing, wiring, roofing and plastering installed.

The heat rating of the building has been improved so it is hoped money can be saved on electricity and gas.

Sash windows have been refurbished and replaced but kept as they looked originally.

Mr Ervin said: “We have got friends in this area and they have let us know that this place was up for sale.

“We felt that there were enough pubs in the area which were all to a high standard but we felt we were short of accommodation and cafeterias.

“The building had holes in the roof, it had damp, it had water rot so we have really done a good job to bring it back to standard and keep the character of it, which is important because it’s in a conservation area.”

 

Closed in 2013 and in 2014 it was converted into a bed and breakfast.

 

LICENSEE LIST

Newly built and Unoccupied 1881Census

McKENZIE John Mill 1881+

SELLEN George 1891+ (age 75 in 1891Census)

WEST Edmund 1901-03+ (also Livery & Bait Stables age 52 in 1901Census) Kelly's 1903

COBB Joseph Edward 1834+

HOOKER William Henry 1904+

TYLER Frederick H 1939+

https://pubwiki.co.uk/QueenPhillippa.shtml

 

Kelly's 1903From the Kelly's Directory 1903

CensusCensus

 

If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-

TOP Valid CSS Valid XTHML