Page Updated:- Monday, 30 October, 2023.


Earliest 1790-

Rose Inn

Open 2020+

80 High Street


01795 585088

Unknown Pub in Strood

Above photo, date unknown. This was a Bugden and Biggs house.

Rose Inn

Above photo kindly sent by Peter Moynahan. Date unknown.

Rose 2009

Above image from Google maps, July 2009.

Rose Inn sign 1986Rose Inn sign 1992

Above sign left, August 1986, sign right, August 1992.

With thanks from Brian Curtis

Rose Inn sign 2009

Above sign 2009.


Operating in the mid 19th century.

Ind Coope & Co Ltd purchased the pub from Budden & Biggs Brewery Ltd by conveyance and assignment dated 23 March 1931. The pub held a full license.


Sheerness Guardian 15 January 1859.


On Tuesday evening last, a most painful tragedy occurred at Queenborough, which has created immense sensation, not only in the town itself, but in Sheerness also, as well as in the island generally. What renders the occurrence more tragic is that the murderer is not 20 years of age, and his innocent victim not yet 16. The particulars of the case may be thus summarily stated.

A young man named Frederick Prentice, has for some time been lodging at Queenborough, having formerly been engaged as a labourer on the Sittingbourne and Sheerness Railway; subsequently employed by Mr. Josiah Hall, of Queenborough; and latterly by Mr. Moxon, the contractor for the batteries, at Sheerness.

It appears that he had formed a strong and ardent attachment to a young female of the name of Emma Coppins. The latter never seems to have encouraged his attentions, although it is evident that she allowed him to clean knives for her whilst she was servant at the "Rose Inn," at Queenborough, and had subsequently accepted "nuts and oranges" from him. Still it is quite certain, that his overtures were never acceptable, and that latterly they had become offensive, and that she had continually tried to evade his company. This was more particularly apparent on Sunday last, when she "ran away and hid herself from him," whilst he was following her, with the apparent intention of pressing his company upon her. This conduct appears to have irritated him, and from this moment the idea of murder seems to have been suggested to his mind. At all events, on Monday morning last, a razor was missing from the house in which he lodged, and this identical razor, as will be afterwards seen, was the destructive weapon which consummated the tragedy! Nothing further occurred until Tuesday. On the evening of that day, Prentice was seen by several individuals near to the Town Hall, at Queenborough, more particularly by T. W. Fisher, at or about 25 minutes past 8. Adjoining the Hall is an "alley" or passage leading on to Queenborough Green; and up this alley, Prentice was seen to go. It further appears that at or about the same hour of the evening, Emma Coppins was in the constant habit of passing by this alley to the "Ship" Inn, to purchase a pint of porter for her master, Mr. Stephens. This was doubtless known to Prentice. At all events, the young girl passed by the alley on the night in question, and within a few minutes of the time Prentice was seen to be there. When close to the alley, she appears to have been pounced upon, when her throat was cut, with such precision, as to have instantly produced death, and that almost without a struggle. Indeed but minute or two had elapsed since parties had passed the spot; where the body was found, and the discovery of the murder. A scream certainly seems to have been heard, but no scuffle could have taken place, for the very jug in which the beer had been obtained, was actually found unbroken and with some of the beer in it. The first idea that was suggested by the discovery of the body was, that some one had fainted, for one witness had actually seen the woman fall, and had noticed no one near. Other parties were in the immediate vicinity, or had been there but moment or so before — more particularly the mail-man, Kite. A light, however, having been obtained, the dreadful fact was soon disclosed, that Emma Coppins had been murdered. Her throat was cut from near the windpipe to about 4 1/2 inches backwards, and some considerable depth. The body was warm, but the living breath had fled, further inspection led to the discovery of man's cap and also an open razor with blood on the blade of it — the razor we have before alluded to. The lifeless body was removed to the home of her aged father — an agricultural labourer with a large family. Underdown, the town constable, immediately gave information to the police. About 9 o'clock, Sergeant Ovenden, of Sheerness, was in possession of the facts, and with the utmost despatch made the whole of the force turn out. The men were located in different parts of the district, and information was sent to Superintendent Green, of the Faversham division, to bring up the force under his command, to the banks of the Swale. This he promptly did, and planted men at Harty Ferry, Elmley Ferry, and King’s Ferry. The rest of his men he placed on the surrounding wall, so as to prevent the possibility of the prisoner getting out of the Island without being detected. A great number of the male population of Queenborough — like true Englishmen — also volunteered their services to Sergeant Ovenden, and after being divided into parties, went out to scour the fields. It may be well to state that suspicion fell on Prentice, the moment the murder was discovered; and that this suspicion was not long without confirmation. The active measures that had thus been adopted, soon led to the arrest of the prisoner. About one o’clock on Wednesday morning, Henry Ford, P. C., 174, was proceeding from the Half-way houses, to Mile town, when he saw the prisoner going on before him. To make use of Ford’s own words, "I did not at first go up to the man, because he did not answer the description with which I was furnished. I went on about a rod and a half and stopped; I then turned round and threw my light upon him. He said "are you a policeman?" I replied yes. He then said "I am your prisoner, my name is Prentice," adding "I wish some one would kill me." He then asked me if "she was dead." Thus clearly convicting himself, if not positively acknowledging his guilt. He shook violently at the time; appeared terribly agitated, and was scarcely able to stand; indeed, the policeman had to support him whilst he was being handcuffed. It is inferred that the prisoner had very nearly been arrested at an earlier hour, as his clothes were covered with mud from being in the ditches, and from which he had apparently been driven by his pursuers into the main road. We have thus far briefly narrated the particulars of this shocking tragedy, until the time the perpetrator was in the hands of justice, and secured in the Sheerness lock-up. Whatever other facts have transpired, are given in the evidence produced at the examination of the prisoner and at the Coroner's Inquest.


The prisoner was brought up on the charge on Wednesday afternoon, at the Town Hall, Queenborough, before L. S. Magnus, Esq., (Mayor) and S. J. Breeze, Esq.; the former gentleman having been telegraphed for from London for the occasion. The Rev. R. Bingham was also on the bench. The Hall was densely crowded throughout the hearing of the case, and the greatest excitement prevailed in the town.

The prisoner was brought from Sheerness in a covered phaeton in custody of Superintendent Green, and Sergt. Ovenden, and was also accompanied by Mr. Stride, surgeon at Sheerness. A great crowd had assembled to witness his departure from Sheerness, as well as to catch a glimpse of him on his arrival at Queenborough. He is a young man, of short stature, sallow complexion and stiffly built; he has a very fair character at Queenborough, for his steadiness and general conduct, with the exception of his being somewhat morose in disposition and reserved in character. It was with some difficulty he was able to walk up the stairs of the Court and not without being supported. He was then placed on a chair in front of the bench. He hung his head down during the whole of the proceedings, without even raising his eyes or uttering a word. He shook violently, sobbed audibly and appeared to feel his guilt most acutely. The folluwing evidence was then produced. On being asked after the deposition of each witness whether he had anything to say, he simply shook his head and that but faintly.

Previous to the hearing of the case, Mr. Craven, solicitor, of Sheerness, was solicited by the Mayor and Mr. Breeze, to act on behalf of the Town Clerk, who was absent in town. Mr. Craven accordingly took his seat and indicted the depositions with considerable success.

Richard Coppins deposed, I am a labourer, and father of the deceased. I know the prisoner. I was in doors last night at half-past eight. The deceased was then alive and in my house; she brought a dress to wash. She had a jug with her and was going to the "Ship Inn" for some porter. I did not see her again until after her death. She would have been sixteen years of age in April next. I did not see her last night after her death because my feelings would not allow me to look at her. There was no particular intimacy between the prisoner and my daughter; he wanted to be friendly with her, but she did not wish to have his company. He was always running after her; he used to watch her, but she repeatedly said she did not want him. That is the body of my daughter that Mr. Stride examined this morning.

William Bills, junr., landlord of the "Ship’ Inn," saw Emma Coppins on Tuesday evening, about half-past eight o’clock. He served her with a pint of beer, and she went away. She was in the habit of coming to his house for porter every evening. It was about forty rods from his house to the place where the deceased was found.

John Kite, mail-driver to Sittingbourne deposed:- I arrived at Queenborough with the mail cart about half-past eight on Tuesday evening and drove past the Town Hall to the Post Office, I did not see any one then, but a minute or so afterwards while I was putting my bag into the mail-cart I heard some one give a scream. I took my time bill and turned my horse round to come out of Queenborough again. My horse made a dead stop on coming up to the body of a female on the road.

I saw a woman near, going into her house. I called out "Missus" and told her that some one had fainted. I asked the woman to go and see. She did so and I drove off under the impression that the body was that of someone who had fainted.

Thomas James Underdown constable at Queenborough was called for at half-past eight o’clock by Mrs. Knewstub. She said a woman had fallen down in a fit. I made immediately for the spot which was about three yards from the Court Hall Alley. I saw Emma Coppins lying on her back. I saw that her face was covered with blood by means of a lantern. Some other parties were there when I went up. I felt the hand of the deceased and it was quite warm. We then lifted her up and saw that her head fell forward and backward and perceived that her throat was cut. I sent information to the police. A man's cloth cap was found near to the spot, which I now produce. I afterwards picked up an open razor about three yards from the body, which was stained with blood on the blade. I then handed it over to Charles Curd, P.C. 146.

Natlaniel Firman, a boy fifteen years of age, had seen a woman fall about three yards from the Town Hall Alley, and had heard her groan, but did not see any one near to her.

Charles Curd P.O. 146, deposed as follows:— About twenty minutes past nine on Tuesday evening, I was informed that a murder had been committed in the street. I immediately made haste to the spot, when I saw the deceased being removed upon a stretcher. Several people were there, and said that a murder had been committed, and that I must go for assistance. I saw a cap and razor on the ground. A man picked up the cap, and Thomas Underdown picked up a razor and gave it to me. I kept it in my possession. Both the blade and the handle were covered with blood. After I saw the body home, I went to see if I could find Sergeant Ovenden at Sheerness. We both returned together to Queenborough.

Phoebe Parker said I have known the prisoner for about 13 mouths, he has been lodging with me. I saw him last on Tuesday afternoon about half-past three. He was then dressed in light new corduroy trousers, blue pilot jacket and blue jacket slop underneath; with black cloth cap. The cap now produced is exactly like the one he used to wear. I have heard the lodgers pass jokes upon him about a girl living at the "Rose." The prisoner had no razor of his own but used one on Sunday afternoon last belonging to John Colley — another lodger. I have not seen the razor since he had it. It is not in my house now. I have searched everywhere. I missed it on Monday morning. It was a white handed razor and I said to the prisoner that I did not see Colley’s razor but he made no reply. It was exactly like the one produced, but I cannot swear to it, my husband can. The same witness also identified the pilot jacket as belonging to the prisoner.

James Parker, a time keeper on the Sittingbourne and Sheerness Railway, said, I know the prisoner. He has been lodging in the same house with me for some months. I remember Sunday morning last; I shaved with a white handed razor, and I also saw the prisoner shave with it in the afternoon, I have not seen the razor since.

[The razor was then produced.]

That is the razor; I know it by its marks — a large gap in the middle and a smaller one beside; also by a name on the back of it like "Sundry," or something beginning with S. The name is on the back of the blade. I enquired for it last night about six o'clock. My wife said she had searched for it and could not find it. Have seen Emma Coppins, and have often laughed at the prisoner about her. I do not think she wanted him.

Margaret Calligan, (a young girl) saw the deceased last Sunday evening. She asked her if she had seen Emma Edwards. She (the deceased) said she was rather frightened as there was a man watching her, and that she could not get away from him. The man had his back towards them, and deceased said that was the man, but witness could not swear the prisoner was the party as she did not see his face, but he was dressed in blue coat, light trousers, and had a cap on.

Robert Purnell, stonemason, had known the prisoner for about 15 months. Saw him last as he was coming from the "Ordnance Arms," about a quarter-past eight on Tuesday evening. I was talking to a lad outside the Town Hall. Soon after the prisoner came by and spoke to me. He asked how I was and I enquired if he was in work still. He said he had been discharged on Saturday but that the foreman of the works had said he could go to work again if he liked, but he should not. After that I turned and went up the street and he walked away from me. I went up towards the church, he went down towards the river. I have not seen him since until brought into court. He appeared to be dressed in a fustian jacket, but I am sure he had corduroy trousers and also a cap on. I did not observe anything particular in his conversation.

George Wightman, a labourer, knew the prisoner and saw him about a quarter past 8 opposite the Court Hall with the witness Purnell. Purnell went away before me, and left me talking to the prisoner I left him four or five minutes after Purnell had gone. The prisoner went across into the Court Hall Alley.

Thomas William Fisher, mariner saw the prisoner on Tuesday evening. He was leaning against one of the pillars of the Court Hall. It was then 25 minutes past 8. I was going home. It took me about a minute to walk home. I stayed in the house two or three minutes. I heard a scream like a woman’s voice. On hearing the scream I went out. A neighbour said some one was in a fit. I ran down the street and found the deceased. Witness also confirmed other particulars of the evidence already given.

Henry Ford, P. C. 174, of Sheerness, said about half-past nine. Sergeant Ovenden came to my house and from the information I received I went specially in search of the prisoner. I did not know him, but had a written description of him. About one o’clock this (Wednesday) morning. I was going from the "Half-way house" towards Mile Town, Sheerness; and when about half-way between the two places I saw a man going on before me. He was on the opposite side, and was dressed in a blue reefing jacket, had a handkerchief on his head, and wore corduroy trousers. When I got up to him and was opposite to him, I turned my light upon him, but he did not answer the description with which I was furnished I did not go across to him at first; but I afterwards did. The description I had was, that he was dressed in white smock frock, with blue work round the wristbands and collar. I went on for about a rod and a half, and I then stopped, and thought that I would go and look at the man more minutely, and see who he was. I did so and again turned my light upon him. He said, "are you a policeman?" I replied yes. He then said, "I am your prisoner; my name is Prentice." I knew then that he was the party I was looking for. He said, "I wish some one would kill me." He afterwards asked me, if she was dead." He did not say who. I replied that I had not seen her. I then took him in my custody, to Sheerness lock-up. I found marks of blood upon his trousers and also marks of blood upon the back of his right hand. The pilot jacket I produce, has marks of blood on the sleeve. (Mrs. Parker, identified the jacket, as belonging to the prisoner).

Edward Stride, surgeon, of Sheerness, deposed that he had examined the body of deceased, and that she had died from hemonhage, caused by an incised wound in an horizontal position, extending from near the windpipe to about 4 1/2 inches backwards. The wound must have been inflicted by a sharp instrument across the throat. It would cause instant death. He had seen the prisoner and examined his right hand and found blood upon it. There had been a good deal. He also deposed to finding blood on the prisoner’s trousers and jacket. Witness in answer to an enquiry from the bench, also deposed to accompanying the prisoner from Sheerness and that he was merely suffering from extreme grief. He had asked the prisoner if he was hungry, and he had shaken his head to signify no. He had asked him if he was cold, when he shook his head in the same manner. He considered that the prisoner had heard the whole of the examination of the witnesses.

At this stage of the proceedings, the Court adjourned until half-past eight, in order to afford time for correcting and preparing the respective depositions for the signature of the witnesses. This being done the Court was reopened the prisoner was then asked if he had any thing to say in reply to the charge and signified through Mr. Stride surgeon, that he had not. He was then convicted of the charge of Wilful Murder, and ordered to be committed to take his trial for the same at the next Maidstone Assizes. The prisoner was then removed to the lock-up at Sheerness, until the holding of the Coroner’s inquest.

The proceedings commenced about three o'clock, and it was nearly ten o’clock before they were concluded.


Was held on Thursday morning, at 10 o'clock, at the "Ship Inn," before T. Hills Esq, and the following jury:— The Rev. H Bingham, (foreman), Messrs. Josiah Hall, Ebenezer Absale, Thomas Moss, Charles Hall, William Videon, R. B. Cole, William Cole, Thomas Brightman, Edward Champion, Thomas Underdown, William Dodd, and William Rice.

The greater part of the evidence produced on the preceding evening, was recapitulated and on examination of the various witnesses, the following additional facts were elicited, namely, that when the deceased was found, she was lying in a pool of blood, and that the jug was standing near to her unbroken, and a portion of the beer in it; P. C. Ford, also further deposed, "when I encountered the prisoner he had both his hands in his pockets. I told him to take them out. He replied, I shall not hurt you. I said, no, you don't seem in a fit state to hurt any one. He was trembling with agitation; so much so that I was obliged to hold him up and support him, whilst I was handcuffing him."

The following additional witnesses were then heard:—

George Jenkins, landlord of the "Rose Inn," at Queenborough, stated that the departed had some few months ago, lived with him as servant; that the prisoner had been accustomed to frequent his house, ever since he had been at Queenborough, but more especially during the time the deceased was in his employ; also, that they seemed on friendly terms and that on one occasion the prisoner had assisted to clean knives for the deceased. He knew of no further intimacy.

Emma Edwards (a young girl and a companion of the deceased) deposed that she knew Emma Coppins well and that on Sunday evening they were at chapel together They afterwards went down the street; they saw the prisoner standing at the door of his lodgings. He followed them; they crossed the road and he continued to follow them. The deceased then ran away and hid herself. Before this, the deceased had told witness that she didn't want the prisoner. No conversation took place between them on this occasion, but on a previous occasion, she had seen the prisoner give the deceased some nuts and two oranges.

These were the only additional depositions that were made. The prisoner, as on the preceding day, preserved the same sullen demeanour, refusing either to ask any questions or to answer any, except by movements of the head. Mr. Stride, however, stated that he was perfectly sensible of the proceedings, and could have replied if he felt willing.

The Coroner having read the respective evidence, then called upon the prisoner to say anything he wished to say, giving him the usual charge, that what he might state would be produced in evidence against him. The prisoner manifested no disposition to alter his demeanour and said nothing.

The Coroner then briefly addressed the jury observing, — that he did not think it necessary to trouble them with any more evidence on this occasion. The matter appeared to be comprised in a nutshell. The deceased was a girl fifteen-years of age, and lived in service; and between her and the prisoner, it was quite clear that there had been some intimacy, though perhaps not very great. Mr. Jenkins, the landlord of the "Rose Inn," and with whom the deceased had lived, had noticed that the prisoner was in the habit of going to his house, more than he was accustomed to do, while the girl lived there, and had on one occasion assisted her to clean some knives. This was a fact of some importance, as it showed an intimacy had existed between the parties. There was also the evidence of Emma Edwards, to show that on Sunday evening, the prisoner was following them, and that the deceased evidently, went and hid herself, for the purpose of avoiding him. Therefore there was positive evidence, of an intimacy existing. Then came the fact, which was clearly proved, that the girl was killed by some sharp instrument, like a razor. Then followed the evidence of Fisher and Wightman, that the prisoner was seen near the scene of the murder, immediately before it took place. Underdown, the constable proved, that he saw the jug, and on making a search, a mans’ cap was found, and also a razor. With regard to the cap, they must take the evidence as it was. If they thought that they had good grounds for believing, that it was the prisoner's cap, they would take that as proof of identity. With regard to the identity of the razor, there was no doubt at all. Mr. Parker, positively identified it as the one left at his house. He (the coroner) thought, they would therefore take the evidence as to the razor and cap, as being conclusive. The razor was seen on Sunday, and on Monday morning missed. Then came the very important fact, that when Ford, the policeman, took the prisoner into custody, he made use of this remarkable expression, "is she dead?" clearly referring to the circumstances which had taken place; indeed, the whole of the evidence, of the policeman Ford, left but little doubt, as to the part the prisoner had taken in the murder. If there was any point that was not explained or clear to them, he would be glad to explain it. He wished them however to bear in mind that they were not trying the man. It was simply for them to say whether the evidence was sufficiently conclusive, to justify them, in committing him on the charge. As to whether it was a case of murder, or of manslaughter was a subject for another jury to decide. It was however for them to say, whether the deceased, met with her death, from the hands of the prisoner; if so, there was but one course for them to pursue, and to find a verdict against him.

The Coroner further observed that as the prisoner had made no statement, they had no other evidence than such as the prosecution presented.

The jury were then called upon to consider their verdict, and unanimously and immediately pronounced a verdict of WILFUL MURDER against the said Frederick Prentice.

Throughout the hearing of the evidence the prisoner was accommodated with a seat, and did not lift his eyes from the ground, or appear to look upon any one or notice anything. He appeared, however, more composed than on the preceding day, and more recovered from his terror-stricken aspect. He heard the verdict with the same stolid demeanour he had displayed throughout, and was immediately afterwards removed to another room. The Rev. K. Billingham, then requested permission to have an interview with the prisoner, with a view we believe to giving him some ministerial and suitable advice. The request was acceded to — a policeman of course being present at the interview.

The warrant for the prisoner's committal to Maidstone gaol was then made out and he was shortly afterwards removed.

A large concourse of people were assembled to witness his departure, but there was no manifestation of popular feeling, apart from interested curiosity.

The prisoner has scarcely spoken to any of the prison officials or constabulary since his capture. He has taken but the smallest portion of food and has ever since his arrest been apparently suffering the most intense agony of mind and prostration of body. Indeed it was found requisite to administer repeated doses of brandy and water to him, on Wednesday and Thursday in order to support him and enable him to undergo the ordeal of the investigation. Doubtless much of this may be assumed, but it is nevertheless true that much of it is real. Notwithstanding he slept Well the last night he spent in the Sheerness lock-up.


Since writing the above we have received the particulars of the interview between the Rev. R. Bingham, and the prisoner; they are, however, of such a private nature as to preclude publication. We may, notwithstanding state that when the Reverend gentleman entered the room, the unfortunate criminal held out his hand to him and burst into tears. A long conversation then endued, in which the prisoner manifested every disposition to be communicative, and would doubtlessly hare made a clean breast of the whole affair had be been pressed to do so. Mr. Bingham contented himself with directing the prisoner’s mind to the state of his guilt, by suitably exhorting him, and by engaging with him in devotional exercise. The prisoner was deeply affected, and there is but little doubt but that he will make a full confession of the crime, and plead guilty to the charge.

It is said, (we believe on the prisoners own statement) that he has neither father nor mother alive; that the only relation he has is a sister, and that she resides at a distance, but he refuses at present to say where.


Sheerness Guardian 19 March 1859.



The trial of Frederick Prentice, for the Wilful Murder of Emma Copping, took place at Maidstone, yesterday, (Friday), before Mr. Baron Martin. For some time before the court was opened, crowds of people had assembled in the vicinity, who were anxiously waiting to hear the proceedings. Immediately after the opening of the court, the prisoner was placed at the bar. The trial was then proceeded with, but the case occupied only a few minutes, and was disposed of before the greater number of witnesses who were in attendance, had obtained admission into the court, and who were consequently not a little disappointed.

The prisoner, who is a sturdy built, navvy-looking fellow, below the middle height, rather swarthy complexion, and very ordinary features, had evidently taken pains with his toilet. His blue gabardine was neatly arranged, and his thick neckerchief was trimly crossed and fattened beneath his waistcoat. On being called upon in the usual way, he pleaded "GUILTY" in a firm tone of voice.

The Judge:- Do you understand what you are about? You are pleading guilty of killing with malice prepense and if found guilty you will certainly be executed; so consider well what you are about before you plead guilty.

Prisoner was silent; and the Clerk of Arraign proceeded to add, "you are also indicted upon the common inquisition; guilty or not guilty?"

Prisoner:— Guilty.

The Judge:— Do you wish to have further time to consider what you should do — it is a serious matter.

Prisoner:— "I don't wish to plead against my conscience.

The Judge:- Do not deceive yourself on that point. All you do when you plead not guilty is to require that the crime with which you are charged shall be proved against you; and every person is entitled to that. It will not be pleading against your conscience at all if you say you wish to be tried — but if you were to have further time perhaps that would be better.

Prisoner:— After a pause — I wish to plead guilty.

The prisoner was then called upon whether he had anything to say, why, standing convicted on his own confession of wilful murder, sentence of death should not be passed, and the Judge, assuming the black cap, passed the last sentence of the law, as follows:—

Frederick Prentice:— You have pleaded guilty to the wilful murder of Emma Coppins; and I know nothing whatever of the case, except what is contained in the depositions taken before the magistrates and the coroner, and I am sorry to say they give me but very scanty information. It appears, however, from what I can collect, that you knew this girl but very slightly, but I suppose, from something you said to the woman with whom you lodged that you had courted her or endeavoured to court her. The next thing we learn from the statement of the young woman who went with her to chapel on Sunday evening is that you followed them until they separated; and for anything we know the deceased went to her own home as the other girl did to hers. The next we know is that on the evening of the 10th of January she went out to get some beer from a public-house, and in a few minutes afterwards she was found dead in the streets of Queenborough, with her throat cut in such a way that the surgeon is of opinion that her death must have been instantaneous. You say you are the person who did that act. What motive you had, I cannot tell. Whether she had given you some offence, or you were actuated by a feeling of jealousy I have not the most remote idea. You only know; but you have made no statement, and what I have said is but a bare summary of the facts. However, no doubt on those facts the offence was one of murder; and although I and others before me have cautioned you as to the serious nature of the plea you have persisted in pleading Guilty. The only observation I have to make is that for this offence you have beyond all manner of doubt forfeited your life, and in a short period from the time at which I am now speaking you will be executed. All therefore that remains for me to do is to pass upon you not my sentence, but the sentence of the law — which is that for the crime of wilful murder, you be taken from hence to the prison from whence you came, and from thence to a place of execution, and there hanged until your body be dead; and your body when dead, to be taken down and buried within the precincts of the gaol — and may the Lord have mercy upon your soul.

The prisoner walked firmly from the bar, evidently impressed with his awful position.

We understand that the prisoner had previous to the trial, resolutely determined to plead guilty, and fully anticipated the verdict, which will shortly be carried into execution.


Sheerness Guardian 2 July 1859.


The following cases were heard in the Town Hall, Queenborough, on Monday last, before L. S. Magnus, Esq. They appeared to have excited a great interest in the town and a considerable number of spectators was present.


L. Coppins v. G. Jenkins.

In this case the complainant is a young female 23 years of age, who has lived for some time in the service of defendant. The latter is a married man and the landlord of the well-known public house, the "Rose Inn," Queenborough. Mr. M'Carthy Stephenson appeared for the defence.

The complainant having been sworn, deposed as follows:— I am a single woman and live at Queenborough. On the 31st of March last, I gave birth to an illegitimate child. The father of it is Mr. George Jenkins. The first time he had connection with me was in the middle of June, 1858. I don’t remember how many times he had connection afterwards, for it was so many times. The last time that he went with me was at the end of July. Mr. Jenkins has sent me money. It is his child and no one’s else. He sent me 10s on the 31st of March.

Mr. Stephenson objected to the complainant’s evidence with regard to the payment of money to her, and urged that the statement could not be received in evidence unless it was supported by the party who paid it.

Complainant.:— Mr. Jenkins sent the money to my mother's house, where I was staying, by a boy in his employ, of the name of Miles. The boy said that Mr. Jenkins had sent it. I went to the door myself and received it from the boy. The money was sent on the morning of the 31st of March, and I was confined on the afternoon of the same day. Three weeks afterwards Mr. Jenkins sent me 7s. 6d. and I received the money myself.

Mr. Stephenson again objected to the latter part of the evidence, unless the boy (who was not present), was there to substantiate it.

Complainant wont on to say, — I saw the boy on Friday, when he told me that he would come as a witness in the case. I heard afterward; that he would not come, and that he had been sent away. I saw the boy again on Monday and he said he would not come for me nor for Mr. Breeze either.

Cross examined by Mr. Stephenson:— Why don't you obtain a summons?

The boy told me he would come.

Do you know how old he is?

I don’t know.

Do you know how old you are yourself?


How old is the boy?

Don’t know; perhaps 15.

Don’t you know it was necessary to bring some evidence besides your own?

After some hesitation the complainant said yes. Who told you to say yes?

After considerable silence, Mr. Lake, of Queenborough, who was sitting besides the complainant said "I did."

Mr. Stephenson:— You had no business to say so; it is a contempt of court, and you have a right to be committed, but I shall let it pass.

The complainant, in examination by the bench, reiterated the above and said, defendant got me and locked me in my own room one night.

Mary Coppins, (mother of the complainant), was the next witness called. She stated that I saw Mr. Jenkins and mentioned to him that my daughter was in the family-way by him. It was before she was confined. Mr. Jenkins said who told you, and I replied my daughter he said, say nothing about it and if I can quiet my wife I will support the child. I have not spoken to him on the subject since.

Cross-examined by Mr. Stephenson:— My daughter is 23 years of age. She went out to service when very young. She has said nothing to me about a person named Joy, who is connected with the railway, nor of anything that has occurred between a person who is in this room of the name of Bates, but I don’t know why he is here except to hear the case.

The evidence after this assumed a very incoherent appearance, in consequence of which Mr. Stephenson acknowledged that the plaintiff was labouring under considerable difficulty in not having the advice and Assistance of a professional man, and expressed a hope that there would be some one found in the Island sufficiently liberal to step forward and relieve her of the difficulty, and if the bench offered no opposition he would suggest that the hearing of the case should be adjourned and this provision made.

After some consultation on the bench, L. S. Magnus, Esq., (the Mayor), said it appeared to the bench that the boy Miles was an important witness in the case, and that they thought that it would be to the interest of all parties that the case should be adjourned. The suggestion having been agreed to, an adjournment took place for three weeks.




MARSHALL William 1790+

HORN William 1847-58+

JENKINS George 1861+ (age 45 in 1861Census)

KNIGHT John H 1891+ (age 49 in 1891Census)

GIROUD John 1881+ (age 36 in 1881Census)

WILLCOCK William 1901 (age 39 in 1901Census) (96 High Street)

GILES Thomas Gabriel 1902+

ANDERSON Ernest 1903+ Kelly's 1903

MARTIN Wilfred 1934+


Kelly's 1903From the Kelly's Directory 1903



If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-