DOVER KENT ARCHIVES

Page Updated:- Tuesday, 03 August, 2021.

PUB LIST PUBLIC HOUSES Paul Skelton

Earliest 1806

(Name from)

Lord Nelson

Latest 1923

Rochester Road (13 Chalk Street 1881Census)

Chalk

Lord Nelson 1895

Above engraving circa 1895 from the book "The Old Dover Road."

Lord Nelson Lord Nelson people

Above photo, date unknown. Showing the building and close-up of people standing outside.

Kindly supplied by John Hopperton.

Lord Nelson

Above photo, circa 1910. Kindly supplied by John Hopperton.

 

The pub stood opposite the junction at Lower Higham Road. It was closed for some reason in 1923 in 1947 it became a church youth centre and the building was eventually demolished in 1950.

 

Kentish Gazette 23 June 1809.

Last Sunday, a Man of Colour, who had eloped from one of his Majesty's ships lying in the River, came to the "Lord Nelson" public house at Chalk, and at an early part of the evening requested a lodging, and begged permission to lay down, as he had travelled until weary. Mrs. Goldsmith the landlady, not liking his appearance, he having exposed to her view a brace of pistols, and her husband being from home, she would not permit him to go up stairs, but suffered him to lay down in an outhouse. Some persons from the ship being in pursuit of him, he was taken the same evening, when it appeared he was a Captain's Steward, and had robbed his master of cash to the amount of 20, some plate, and a gold watch, with which he was making off.

 

South Eastern Gazette 08 August 1848.

CHALK, KENT. TO LET. WITH IMMEDIATE POSSESSION.

That well-known Public-House, the "Lord Nelson, situate at Chalk, near Gravesend, in the present occupation of Mrs. Goldsmith, retiring, after holding it 40 years.

 

South Eastern Gazette 06 October 1857.

TO LET, WITH IMMEDIATE POSSESSION.

ROADSIDE INN, about 2 miles from Gravesend. The house is convenient, and premises comprise large stabling, chaisehouse, piggeries, yard, and good garden.

Rent 32; coming-in about 270.

Apply to Mrs. Honey, "Lord Nelson," Chalk, or Mr. W. Miall, 94, West-street, Gravesend.

 

South Eastern Gazette, Tuesday 9 November 1858.

To let with immediate possession.

The "Lord Nelson" Public House, Chalk. Coming in 270. Satisfactory reason given for leaving.

Enquire on the premises, of Sarah Honey, landlady, Chalk, near Gravesend Kent.

 

From the Rochester and Chatham Journal and Mid-Kent Advertiser, Saturday, September 2, 1876.

Miscellaneous.

The magistrates hear adjourned for some time to take of luncheon. On business being resumed the following persons, who had been convicted of various offences during the year, and his cases had been deferred in consequence, apply for the renewal of their licences. vis. Thomas White, "Lord Nelson;" Chalk....

The other licences were renewed after the holders had been cautioned.

 

Hull Daily Mail 13 June 1947.

INN AS YOUTH CENTRE.

The former "Lord Nelson Inn" at Chalk, Gravesend, once popular with London " bean-feasters," is to become a church youth centre.

 

James Stone father ran the "Lisle Castle" in 1881.

 

LICENSEE LIST

GOLDSMITH Sarah 1808-Aug/48 (age 60 in 1841Census)

NEWMAN John 1851+ (age 46 in 1851Census)

HONEY Sarah 1857-58+

OSENTON William 1861+ (age 45 in 1861Census)

WHITE Thomas 1862-74+ (age 57 in 1871Census)

WILKINSON Edward 1881-82+ (age 33 in 1881Census) (Nelson Inn)

STONE James jun. 1891+ (age 36 in 1891Census)

DYER William 1901+ (age 38 in 1901Census)

POVEY John James 1903+ Kelly's 1903

BARDOE Thomas George 1913+

LOCK Ernest H 1922+

https://pubwiki.co.uk/LordNelson.shtml

 

Kelly's 1903From the Kelly's Directory 1903

CensusCensus

 

If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-

TOP Valid CSS Valid XTHML