Page Updated:- Saturday, 27 May, 2023.


Earliest 1768

George and Dragon

Open 2019+

High Street


01732 884298

George and Dragon circa 1910

Above postcard between 1900-1920, showing "George and Dragon" on right.

George and Dragon 1938

Above postcard, 1938.

George and Dragon 1957

Above photo, by K J Portwine/Fox photos/Getty Images. 1957, also showing the "Rose and Crown" on the left.

George and Dragon 2013

Above pub 2013.

George and Dragon sign 1980s

Above sign, 1980s.

With thanks from Brian Curtis


From the Kentish Chronicle, 18 February, 1860.


(Before William Delmar and William Plummer, Esqrs.)

The Horse Stealing Case.

James Watson was brought up in custody, for stealing three horses at Great Mongeham, and the following additional evidence was taken:—

Henry Hards, ostler at the "George Inn," Wrotham:— I do not know the prisoner; I never saw him till the 1st instant, but the horses he was charged with stealing were in the "George Inn" stables at half-past nine o'clock on the night of Wednesday, the 1st instant. They were brought by the prisoner. They appeared to have travelled a long way, and the prisoner said they were tired and wanted something to eat. After the horses were "done up" the prisoner went into the inn. The horses were afterwards taken away, by Sub-Police Sergeant Aspinall.

Peter Thomas Gilbert, landlord of the "White Horse" public-house, Sandway, near Lenham, on being sworn said:— I saw the prisoner at my house on the morning of Wednesday, the 1st instant. He had three horses with him. I knew two of the horses. All the horses appeared to have been travelling, and I asked what was the matter with the grey. He said he had given it some water, and perhaps it took effect on it. I asked him if he had come from Ashford market, which had been held on the day before, and he said "Yes." I asked him how he found business there, and he said "Pretty well, I had eight horses there, and I sold five of them." When he went away I asked him the price of the grey, and he said "Twenty Guineas."

Abraham Squire, a private soldier in the 23rd Welsh Fusiliers stationed at Walmer. I was returning from furlough on the 31st January. I travelled by train from London to Deal. The prisoner was in the same train the whole way, and I parted with him about eight o’clock at the "Nelson" public-house at Deal. We arrived in Deal about twelve o’clock in the day, and I staid drinking with the prisoner till eight o'clock at night. He had a bag with him, but I do not know what it contained. During the conversation I had with him the prisoner asked me what my trade was. I told him I was a locksmith, and he asked me if I would get him half a dozen or a dozen keys with the works filed out-picklock keys—as he wanted them to open stable doors. If he had the keys he said he could get many a truss of hay for his horses. I told him I could not get him the keys.

The prisoner said he had no questions to put to this witness, as he had never seen him before.

In reply to the usual caution from the bench, the prisoner said: I bought two of the horses—the grey and the little black one—at Charing on the 1st day of the month, and I gave 10 and another horse in exchange for the third.

The prisoner was fully committed for trial and the witnesses were respectively bound over to appear against him at the quarter sessions at Maidstone on the 1st March.


From the Maidstone Telegraph, Rochester and Chatham Gazette, 1 June 1861.

Wrotham. Accident.

On Monday as a wagon belonging to Mr. H. Simmonds of this parish was passing through Wrotham loaded with mangold wurzel, the horse was frightened by a band which was in attendance at the anniversary of the Lodge of Ancient Druids held at the "George and Dragon" here, and ran off at full speed for about 100 yards when the rod pin fell out. The horse kept on its course with the rods but the wagon ran into a bank. A little girl named Hazenden, about 7 years of age was on the top of the wagon and was thrown off, and unfortunately fell under the wheels, but luckily they did not go over her. She however in falling broke her leg and sustained some other injuries. She was promptly attended to by J. C. Kent, Esq., surgeon, and is now going on favourably.


South Eastern Gazette, 23 July 1861.

Attempted suicide.

On Thursday last and man attempted to commit self destruction. It appears that on Wednesday he was seen wandering about the town, and on Thursday afternoon, at about 4 o'clock, he went to the shop of Mr. Douse, hairdresser, of this town, where he asked Mrs. Douse for a razor to shave himself with. He instantly went to a glass and drew the razor across his throat, inflicting of wound about 2 inches in length. Medical aid was at once procured, and he was taken to the "George" public house, where every attention was paid to him, and on Friday he was conveyed to Malling Union house. He states that poverty and the stress induced him to make the attempt on his life. He refuses to give his name; he is about 50 years of age, dressed in dark clothes, with oilskin cap, of light complexion, with blue eyes. He says that he left home a fortnight last Wednesday. He has a wife, and was in London on the night of the late terrible fire.


From the Maidstone Telegraph, 12 November 1867.

Refusing to admit the "Blue." - A caution.

Henry Grist, landlord of the "George and Dragon," Wrotham, was charged with refusing to admit the police when called upon.

Mr. W. South Norton appeared for the defendant.

Police constable Waghorne deposed that at about 10 minutes after the 11 on the night of the 25th September, he went to the defendants house. He saw a light in one of the windows, and he then tried the door, which was fastened. Defendant called out, "We've got no room here." He went to the window and called out "Police" several times, and said he wanted to come in, as he believed there was a man inside he wanted.

Defendant said, "You go to where you came from; go to _____."

He replied, "No, it's not quite so bad as that comes to, but I want to come in;" and defendant again replied. "You go where he came from; go to ____."

Defendant then took up a light and went away up stairs.

He (witness) also left and procured the assistance of a brother constable, and they returned to the house together and knocked up the defendant, who looked out of the window. They again said they were constables and required admission, but the defendant said his house was closed, and would not be opened till 6 o'clock next morning, when they might come in if they please.

They remained by the house that night, and when it was open next morning they went in and searched, and in a loft on defendant's premises they found the man whom he (witness), was in search of, and whom he apprehended.

That man had since been committed for trial for uttering counterfeit coin, and in the loft and on the premises he (witness) afterwards found upwards of 4 in counterfeit coin.

Mr. Norton said he could not deny that the plane facts of the case were as stated by the constables, nor could he account for the singular conduct of defendants, accepting by assuring the bench that he did not at the time believe they were police constables, as was shown by his telling the first witness to go back to where he came from. Defendant had been out all day, returning very late, and finding from 50 to 60 lodgers in his house, upon whom he had to attend, and consequently he went to bed very tired. He called Superintendent House and two constables - Waghorne and another, who gave him a good character, and he was fined in the mitigating penalty of 4s and costs, some of the magistrates thinking it's so glaring a case as to call for the infliction of the full penalty of 5.


History below taken from 2014.

The inn known by the name and sign of the "George and Dragon" was built in the 21st year of Charles II, in 1681, though this original structure, now mainly confined to the rear of the building, was altered and enlarged in the reign of George III, in 1795, with the construction of a new facade and an additional upper storey.

When first built the property was two separate dwelling houses, belonging with other properties and lands in Wrotham estate of one Giles Hylton esq. of the town of Maidstone in this County of Kent, who held the mortgages on properties and lands in that town, in this parish and the parishes of Ightam and Otford. He possessed of these properties with tenants in occupation until his death in 1711 whereafter they passed with the remainder of his estate to his son Peter of Ightam, who possessed them until the year 1718, when in that year he disposed of certain lands and properties from his fathers estate, in the parishes of Wrotham and Otford, including these two dwellings. At this date the freehold was purchased by one Robert Terry esq. of Sevenoaks.

In occupation here, in one dwelling, at this date, called No. 5, was one Thomas Capstone, land steward to the estate of Terry and residing in what then was No. 6 the street, was Richard Wells, auctioneer, his wife Martha and seven children. By 1723, Thomas Capstone, still resided here, but is now described as a bailiff, and in No. 6 was one Esau Martyne, furniture maker and upholsterer his wife Margaret and four children. By 1735, neither of these families are recorded in the parish of Wrotham.

At this date the property was in the hands of the executors of the Terry estate. He having died in 1728 of no male heirs the property had passed to his nephew Thomas Terry of Newington near Sittingbourne, who in 1739 appears to have transferred the deeds of these two dwellings and others with Lands to one Michael Koaden, M. D. of London. By the 1760's he still possessed of them, with tenants occupying both dwellings. In 1768, there dwelled in No. 5 the street, one Thomas Thorpe, tallow maker and brewer. In that same year he applied for and was granted a licence.....ayment for certain ales and ciders, the quality of which...that he should at all times be determined by a qualified.....the dignity and lawfulness of that..... other than that of a registered seller or tapster.

Thomas Thorpe, left the house in 1793, at which date one Tobias Fuller, was granted a full licence and upon doing so, registered the house under the title of the "George and Dragon". By 1810, the street had become the High Street and the numbers of the inn and the adjoining dwelling Nos. 4 & 5. The inn at this date was owned by Thomas Kit, brewer of Dartford, later to become the Kit Steam Brewery.

Toby Fuller died in 1843, whereupon his son Reuben accepted the tenancy. He remained at the inn until 1865, when in that year one Henry Grist took over the licence. Grist was a carrier to the parish of Wrotham, which meant he undertook the task of delivering on certain given hours such items, as books newspapers, parcels even furniture, to other inns on a selected route, in order that the receivers of these parcels or items could meet him and collect them. He remained at the "George and Dragon" until his retirement in 1880, whereupon he was succeeded by one William Harryman. He stayed until 1890, when one William Ovenden took over.

In 1898, he left and was replaced by John Thomas Faircloth, he in 1903 by James Budgeon, he in 1909 by George Elphick, he in 1917 by William Ashdown, he in 1922 by James Henry Jackson, he in 1930 by Robert J. Roddis, and he in 1936 by Albert G. Jones, who held the tenancy for the duration of the war years, following which the adjoining dwelling was altered to form part of the inn.


Project 2014 has been started to try and identify all the pubs that are and have ever been open in Kent. I have just added this pub to that list but your help is definitely needed regarding it's history.

As the information is found or sent to me, including photographs, it will be shown here.

Thanks for your co-operation.



CROSBY James Peter 1828+ Pigot's Directory 1828-29(George)

BISHOP Mary 1832+ Pigot's Directory 1832-34

ALLCHIN Richard 1840+ Pigot's Directory 1840

GRIST Henry 1862-74+

HARRYMAN William 1881-82+ (age 43 in 1881Census)

BUGDEN James 1901-03+ (age 54 in 1901Census) Kelly's 1903

ASHDOWN William 1911-18 (also Brewers Agent age 50 in 1911Census)

JACKSON James Henry 1922+

RODDIS Robert J 1930+

JONES Albert G 1938+

???? Martin & Pauline 2014+


Pigot's Directory 1828-29From the Pigot's Directory 1828-29

Pigot's Directory 1832-34From the Pigot's Directory 1832-33-34

Pigot's Directory 1840From the Pigot's Directory 1840

Kelly's 1903From the Kelly's Directory 1903



If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-