Page Updated:- Thursday, 17 November, 2022.


Earliest 1770-

Fox and Goose

Closed 15 May 2022

1 The Street


01795 472095

Fox and Goose 2005

Above photo, September 2001.

Fox and Goose 2013

Above photo 2013.

Fox and Goose

Photo date unknown from by John Law.

Fox and Goose 2020

Above photo, circa 2020, by Stonegate.

Fox and Goose sign 1991Fox and Goose sign 2012

Above sign left April 1991 with thanks from Brian Curtis Sign right 2012.


Kentish Gazette, 8 June, 1792.

Silver Pint Mug, Stolen.

Yesterday afternoon from the "Fox and Goose," Bapchild.

A Silver Pint Mug, with the cypher W.T. in front.

Any person to whom it may be offered for sale, are requested to stop it and give immediate information as above.


Kentish Chronicles, 10 November, 1795.


A few days ago died, Mrs. Thornton, wife of Mr. Thornton, of the "Fox and Goose," at Bapchild.


Above info taken from their website 2014.

In the hundred of Milton, lies the parish of Bapchild and there within its boundaries can be found the Inn known by name and sign of the "Fox and Goose."

It was built in the 27th year of George III, in 1787. Though little remains of the original structure having been altered, enlarged & remodernised nearly a century later during the reign of Queen Victoria.

When first built the "Fox and Goose" was little more than a wayside ale house, it was first licensed the year after its founding in 1787, to one William Huggett, carpenter of Sittingbourne, who was granted a license in August of the that year to sell ales and ciders only. At this date the house was afforded no title other than that of a beer house. William Huggett, declared himself at the sessional hearing as a carpenter and common beer seller. In that year he paid an annual rent of 12 pounds.

The property then was owned by one Thomas Jenner of the town of Sittingbourne who owned properties and land in that town and in the parishes Bapchild, Teynham and Boughton-under-Blean. He possessed the property until his death in 1808, where upon by the terms of his will, this property and others passed to his son William. The house at this date was kept by one Jonathan Taggot, common beer seller of the parish of Teynham. In 1810 he paid an annual rent of 15 shillings and 6 pence.

William Jenner possessed the property until 1816, when, with two other properties in Teynham and a parcel of land near by, he disposed of it by sale to one Alan Eves, of Faversham, for a total sum of 850 pounds. Eves also held the mortgages on two other beer houses. One in Teynham and another at Cuddingham. He held of this property (Fox and Goose) until 1823, when he disposed of it by sale to one Thomas Ingram of Faversham. He held the property until his death in 1856, where upon by the terms of his will it passed to his son Malter. The keeper at this date was one Ernest Cove. In that year his annual rental was 15 guineas.

In 1865, the house underwent extensive alterations. Upon completion of these works a full license was granted and it was registered under the title of the "Fox and Goose". One Thomas Cove, son of Ernest was keeper at the time. His annual rent was now 23 pounds per annum. In 1877 Walker Ingram sold the "Fox and Goose" to Robert Davies brewer of Sittingbourne. In 1885, when Thomas Cove still kept the house, Davies sold it to one Thomas Bradock also a brewer of Sittingbourne.

Thomas Cove died at the "Fox and Goose" in 1889, whereupon his widow Amy, took over the tenancy and stayed until 1895 after which one Frank Kennard took over. In 1938 one Walker Hinds was the keeper who held it for the duration of the war years.


Kentish Gazette, Tuesday 14th August 1770.

To be sold by auction. On Tuesday the 22nd, Wednesday the 23rd, and Thursday the 24th of this Inst, August.

All the Household Goods of Mrs. Jane Tassel, Widow, deceased, at her late dwelling house in Faversham.

Catalogues may be had, next Thursday, at the "George" at Boughton, the "Red Lion" at Ospringe, the "Fox and Goose" at Bapchild, the Post-house at Sittingbourne, the "Dolphin" and the "Ship" at Faversham, and at Mr. Thomas Roch, Upholsterer and Appraiser in St. George's Street, Canterbury.


Kentish Gazette, Wednesday 26th September 1781.

To be sold by auction, by William Field, on Thursday next, 2nd of October.

Part of the gentle household furniture of Mrs. May, at her Dwelling house, at Wood Street, in the parish of Bapchild, near Sittingbourne; consisting of Four-post Bedsteads; Flowered, Cotton, and Tambour worked Furnitures; Mahogany Chairs, Tables, and Elegant Chamber Organ, Cabinets, Wilton and Scotch Carpets; a handsome single-horse Chaise and Harness, &c.

The sale to be in at ten o'clock in the Forenoon.

The whole may be viewed on Monday preceding the sale; and catalogues to be had on Saturday next, at the place of sale; at the "Three Kings," at Sittingbourne; at the "Fox and Goose," at Bapchild; at the "Swan," at Greenstreet; at the King's Arms printing office, Canterbury; and the Auctioneers in West Street, Faversham.


Kentish Gazette, Tuesday 31 December 1799.

Wanted immediately.

A cook, in a farmhouse, where two servants are kept.

Person's applying, or letters (postpaid) address to P. O. at the King's Arms Printing office, will be directed to the advertiser.

On inquiry at the "Fox and Goose," Bapchild.

An Hunter and an Hack for sale, warranted found, and in good condition. Enquire as above.

Bapchild. December 22, 1799.


From Kentish Gazette 27 January 1809.


January 24, of a cancer in her breast, originally occasioned by a blow, the wife of Mr. Godden, of the "Fox and Goose," Bapchild.


Kentish Weekly Post or Canterbury Journal 28 March 1837.


On Monday, April 3rd, 1837, at the "Fox and Goose," Bapchild, the greater part of the general assortment of Modern Furniture, bassoon, brine tubs, meat safe, light sprung cart, (nearly new,) young Newfoundland dog in good training, and effects of Mr. Robert Fagg, (leaving this part of the county.)

The goods to be viewed the morning of the day of sale, which will commence at one o'clock in the afternoon.


Kentish Gazette, 21 October 1851.


William Edwards, labourer, 30, for uttering one counterfeit shilling, on the 15th September, at Bapchild, and having in his possession at the time 50 other counterfeit shillings.

Mr. Dawson and Mr. Rose prosecuted, and explained the bearing of the statute on the case to the jury. The facts of the case were very simple. The prisoner called at the "Fox and Goose" public-house, at Bapchild, and asked for a bottle of ginger beer, for which he tendered a counterfeit shilling in payment; it being detected as bad, he then produced a good shilling. Boyd, the constable, coming in at the time from an adjoining room, enquired if he had any other money about him; he replied in the negative. Not feeling satisfied, the constable proceeded to search the prisoner, when he ran away, and was seen to throw down a small bundle, containing five packets, each having 10 counterfeit shillings inside. The prisoner was defended by Mr. Horn, who addressed the jury, contending that the conduct of the prisoner in the transaction was such as to lead to the conviction that he did not utter the shilling with a felonious intent. The jury found the prisoner guilty, and he was sentenced to 12 months imprisonment with hard labour.

The prisoner prayed the Court to allow 14d. in the hands of the constable to be given to his wife, who had come from London, without a shilling in her pocket, to see him, in order to help her home. The request was complied with.


From Kentish Gazette 02 August 1859.


July 28, at the "Windsor Castle," Bridge-street, Canterbury, Sarah, widow of the late James Knowler, of the "Fox and Goose," Bapchild.


From the Kentish Chronicle, 3 January, 1863.


On Monday, T. Hills, Esq., coroner, held an inquest at the “Fox and Goose,” Bapchild, on the body of George Smith, who was accidentally killed on the previous Saturday.

Thomas Dodd, labourer, of Lower Norwood, Surrey, deposed that he was staying at Bapchild for the benefit of his health. Deceased lodged at his sister's house, and was about 23 years of age. On Saturday witness went out with him to shoot some rooks, and at the time of the accident they were in a hop-garden belonging to Mr. Gascoyne. There were two hills in the garden with a valley running between them, and witness left deceased in order that he might go over the other hill to frighten the rooks towards him. In a few minutes he heard the report of a gun, and saw deceased lying on the ground, and his jacket blowing away. Witness immediately went to him, and saw blood spurting from his head, and he then ran to fetch assistance. Deceased had a double-barrel gun, and had just fired one barrel, and when witness left him to go to the other hill he had commenced to re-load.

George Turner, labourer, Sittingbourne, said he met the last witness as he was going up Muddy-lane, towards Mr. Watts's brickfield. Dodd was much distressed, and from what he told him, witness went to where deceased was, and found his blood and brains scattered about. The gun was lying across the calves of his legs, as though deceased had reeled round after being shot, and the gun had fallen on him.

Mr. Henry Grant, Sutton, who went to the spot, said the left side of deceased’s face was entirely carried away, the charge of the gun entering the left cheek and passing out through the centre of the brain. Death must have been instantaneous.

Verdict, “Accidental Death.”


From the Whitstable Times and Herne Bay Herald. 19 October 1867. Price 1d.


On Friday an inquest was held before Thomas Hills, Esq„ coroner, at the "Fox and Goose" public-house, on the body of a boy named Charles Little, aged eight years, son of George Little, of Bapchild, a labourer, working in the brickfield.

Henry Tracy, at Muston, fruiterer, deposed on Tuesday afternoon, about half-past four o'clock, he was coming along the turnpike road, when he saw several boys, including the deceased, who were running and playing about on the road. He met a van and a cart, the boy being then on the footpath. When he got a little way past the cart he happened to look back, and saw the deceased run from the footpath across the road where there is no path. He ran about a rod and a half behind the van. A man was coming along on horseback, and as deceased was running across the road the horse struck him knocking and him down. The horse seemed to strike him twice with his legs. He did not seem to notice the horse coming, and he darted across and was caught by it. Mr. Walters, landlord of the "Bull Inn," Newington, was the rider, and he did not seem to blame. Witness did not think he was able to see the boy until he was too close upon him to pull up. He appeared to be going at a moderate trot, and pulled up as soon as he could. Some gentlemen were coming along in a gig, and one of them got out and picked the boy up. They laid him down again. Mr. Walters then picked the boy up, and tried to see if he could stand. The boy appeared to be unable to stand, and lay down again. Did not notice that he tried to throw him down; could see everything that occurred. Mr. George soon after came up, and witness then went on. The boy seemed much hurt.

Stephen George, builder, living at Greenstreet, said that on Tuesday afternoon, between four and five o'clock, he was going along the road in the direction of Greenstreet. When he got to Seedmill-lane, Bapchild, he saw a number of persons in the road, and deceased lying on the side of the road. Saw Mr. Walters take deceased by the hand, lift him up by one arm, and let go. He tried whether he could stand on his feet, but the boy said, “I can't stand, I can't stand," and Mr. Walters then let go his arm and he fell down. Witness was at the spot about a minute after the accident had happened. No one volunteered to take the boy home, so witness took him home himself. Only saw Mr. Walters lift him once. The boy was sensible. Saw the van and two timber tugs standing on the near side of the road. The boy must have been near the off aide when the horse struck him.

Alfred Jarrett, about seven or eight years of age, son of John Jarrett, labourer, Radfield, Bapchild, was next sworn. He said that on Tuesday afternoon he had been to Mr. Lake's for a milk-can, and was returning with the deceased and some other little boys and girls. Deceased was then with him on the path-side of the road; but afterwards he got behind. Witness did not know what deceased did afterwards; but he heard a horse make a noise, and looking back, saw his companion lying in the road.

The Coroner remarked that that this evidence perfectly agreed with that given by Mr. Tracey.

Charles Holdrich Fisher, surgeon, deposed that he first saw the deceased shortly after five o'clock on Tuesday afternoon. Mr. Walten came to the surgery, and asked him to go at once to see the boy. He went and found him lying on a bed in the house, with his knees drawn up complaining of great pain. Did all he could and before leaving gave necessary directions to the mother how to proceed. On his way to see the deceased next day (Wednesday) he was informed that the boy had just died. Deceased had lived twenty-four hours after the accident. There were marks on the belly where the horse had struck the boy. The bruise was continued completely through that part of the bowels. Had made a post mortem examination, and found sufficient inflammation over the bowels to cause death, The surgeon added that the most extraordinary sad curious part of the case was that the next morning the boy seemed so much better that he got up and dressed himself, came down stairs, and had a basin of arrowroot. He then went upstairs again, came down, and kept moving about the house all day, sitting down occasionally. He also said how glad he was that he felt better. A little before four o'clock, however, he went upstairs, and laid down in the bed, turning his face towards the wall with the knees drawn up. His mother shortly afterwards told one of the children to go and cover him up; but the child came down, and said his little brother was dead.

The Coroner, in summing up, said there could be no doubt that the deceased came by his death through Mr. Walters' horse, as was evident from the testimony of Mr. Tracey, which was fully corroborated by the boy Jarrett. He briefly recapitulated the facts that had been elicited, and observed that the footpath being set apart for the public, and the road for horses and carriages, if persons wanted to walk on the horse road they must take care to keep out of danger, as, should an accident take place, they could not blame the horsemen for it. Such accidents were constantly occurring, and they could not blame deceased, as he was so young. A man had a right to travel his own way, on horseback, if he chose, providing he travelled at a fair pace, and if a child ran from behind a waggon or cart, and was hurt, the horseman was not to blame. The deceased, in the present instance, should have waited till the horse went past, as he ran as much into the horse as the horse into him. The Foreman asked Dr. Fisher whether he did not think it requisite, when he saw the boy first, to see him again sooner than he did. Dr. Fiaher said that he could not tell the extant of injury till he called a second time, as certain symptoms would have to appear before he could tell how much the boy was injured; but he sent some medicine within half-an-hoar.

The jury returned a verdict of "Accidental death,” exculpated Mr. Walton from all blame in the matter.


Kentish Gazette 18 August 1868.


A very distressing case of suicide has occurred in this village, Mrs. Elizabeth Topley, wife of Mr. Nicholas Topley, master of the National School, having cut her throat whilst in a state of puerperal mania, which caused her death on Monday morning. On Friday morning week the deceased, who was suffering from an attack of diarrhoea, was requested by her husband to remain quiet and in bed; but between four and five p.m., on his going upstairs, he found the poor woman at the foot of the bed, bleeding from the throat on the left side, where there was a small wound. Mrs. Topley, senior, and the neighbours endeavoured to staunch the blood, and a message was sent to Messrs. Grayling and Sutton, at Sittingbourne. A razor was found near her, as if it had dropped out of her hand. She appears to have been quite unconscious that she had cut her throat, although from her position it was abundantly clear that the act was her own. Dr. Grayling arrived in a little over half an hour, and, assisted by Mr. Sutton, he closed the wound. The windpipe not having been touched, there were fair hopes of her recovery. For a time indeed she rallied, but she afterwards sank gradually, and on Monday, about seven a.m., she died. The deceased, who was about thirty-five years of age, had resided at Bapchild for some years, and she appears to have possessed the confidence and respect of all who knew her. She leaves a family of six daughters, the eldest being about eight years of age. The inquest was held at Mr. Post's, "Fox and Goose," Bapchild, on Tuesday. before T. Hills, Esq., coroner, and the jury returned a verdict to the effect that deceased died while in an unsound state of mind.


East Kent Gazette, Saturday 5 December 1874.

Bapchild hand-in-hand Benefit Society.

The annual dinner of the members of the society took place at the club-house, the "Fox and Goose Inn," on Saturday last, when nearly 100 sat down to a capital spread provided by host Robert Couchman, whose arrangements gave general satisfaction. After dinner, the balance-sheet was read by the secretary, Mr. Bradley, from which it appeared that the club is in a healthy and flourishing condition; and, after dispensing upwards of 30 to sick members, paying all demands, and leaving a foundation for the next year, each member received about 5s 6d. as "share-out money." The society, it may be mentioned, has been established some 13 or 14 years and numbers about 106 members.


East Kent Gazette, Friday 6 October 1961.

New Faces at your Local.

Temporary transfer of three inn licences in the Sittingbourne area were approved by the Magistrates on Monday.

Mr. Frank E. D. Hopgood, licensee of the "Fox and Goose," Bapchild, moved to the "Fruiterers' Arms," Rodmersham.

Mr. Alfred Shephard, who goes into the "Fox and Goose," told the court that he had held four licences previously in Slough, Cambridge and Brighton.

Mr. J. J. Butcher who moved out of the "Fruiterers' Arms," said that he was returning to Gillingham.

Licence of the "Railway Arch," Sittingbourne, was protected to Mr. Cecil F. Brook, Mr. J. Blackham, who is leaving, said that it would be living in Faversham.


From the By Megan Carr, 21 August 2022.

Future of Fox and Goose pub in Bapchild, Sittingbourne, in doubt with Sainsbury's and a kebab shop among potential new occupants.

An historic pub which has been shut for months faces an uncertain future and its former landlady fears it could be turned into a kebab shop or a Sainsbury’s.

Rebecca Baker made the tough decision to call time on her stewardship of the Fox and Goose in Bapchild, near Sittingbourne, following the death of her father, plus the impact of the pandemic and the cost of living crisis.

The 47-year-old served customers at the watering hole, which dates back to the 17th century, for eight years.

She said: “The changing of our lease at the property was coming up and the lack of trade just meant it wasn’t feasible to continue.

“With the rising prices of everything we just weren’t getting the support from the villagers.

“It’s partly to do with the cost of living crisis but we can’t compete with chains such as Wetherspoon.

“The Stonegate brewery prices, who own the lease, were just too high.”

Fox and Goose licensees 2022

Rebecca Baker with her partner, Steven Bravery, left, and James Mohammed who supported the business in lockdown.

Through the first lockdown, Rebecca and her family continued selling their much-loved roast dinners, delivering them to customers thanks to help from locals James Mohammed and Pat Ruanne.

They also took food to Medway Hospital, ambulance stations, Sittingbourne Fire Station, nurses, carers, support workers and elderly and vulnerable people from Faversham to Medway.

But sadly, not long after the pandemic hit, the grandmother-of-three lost her dad, her biggest helper, to cancer.

She explained: “It was just too much to take on by myself.

"Dad got the diagnosis that he had a terminal brain tumour. With Covid still at a high, unfortunately treatment was delayed and dad's health deteriorated.

Fox and Goose 2022

The Fox and Goose pub in Bapchild was closed due to, among other reasons, the cost of living crisis.

"He passed away on December 16. He was our life, our best mate and the heart of the pub."

The loss of her dad, the increasing costs, rent prices and utility bills meant Rebecca had to make the tough decision to close the pub on May 15.

She said: "I did take out the bounce back loan and got the lower amount of the grants.

"With that I paid previous debts, decorated the pub and totally overhauled the garden for outside drinking restrictions.

"My car broke down and I was personally getting further into debt keeping the pub open. It was one thing after another. It was all too much and it was making me ill."

Fox and Goose garden 2022

The garden of the Fox and Goose pub in Bapchild, Sittingbourne.

Rebecca explained how disappointed she was that she couldn't keep the business running.

She added: "I am so grateful to all the customers, friends, my partner Steven Bravery and family members that have supported me.

"However, with lack of support from the village of Bapchild itself, how is a village pub supposed to survive? We tried everything.

"I really do hope that if another pub opens they are half as lucky as me to make the friends I made.

"I hope the village supports them. I'm heartbroken to see the pub how it is now and really do feel a failure."

Meanwhile, the future for the pub remains in doubt.

Rebecca explained that a kebab shop owner had viewed the property and said the brewery had told her Sainsbury's had also shown interest.

A spokesman for Sainsbury's said: "We haven’t announced anything regarding plans for a new Sainsbury’s store at this site.

"We regularly review new sites to expand our store portfolio across the UK and will consider all types of properties and locations."

Needleworx Tattoo Studio was also based at the property.

As part of the lease, business owner Richard Cole had to pack up shop in June and reopened in a new property in Teynham last month.

The Fox and Goose is being marketed by Stonegate for a yearly rent of 18,000, with an estimated 8,500 start-up cost.

A pub has been on the site since the 1670s. Today, it includes a three-bedroom flat.

A spokesman for Stonegate brewery said: “The incumbent tenant’s lease is expiring, we are actively recruiting for a new pub partner to reopen the pub as soon as possible.”




HUGGETT William 1787+ (carpenter)


GODDEN Mr 1809+

TAGGOT William 1808+

ELLIS William 1832+ Pigot's Directory 1832-34

MIEN/MEANE Philip 1841+ Census

KNOWLER James dec'd pre 1851 (age 35 in 1851Census) Kentish Gazette

COVE Ernest 1856+

LANGTON John 1861+ Census

POST Mr 1868+ Kentish Gazette

POST Jesse 1871 Census

COUCHMAN Robert 1881+ (age 55 in 1881Census)

COVE Thomas (son) 1885-89 dec'd

COVE Amy (widow) 1889-91

TRICE Richard 1891+ (age 32 in 1891Census)

KENNARD Joseph Frants 1895-Dec/1915 dec'd (age 41 in 1901Census) Kelly's 1903

HINDS Walker 1938+

EAST F T 1950+

HOPGOOD Frank E D to Oct/1961 Next pub licensee had

SHEPHARD Alfred Oct/1961+


Pigot's Directory 1832-34From the Pigot's Directory 1832-33-34


Kentish GazetteKentish Gazette

Kelly's 1903From the Kelly's Directory 1903


If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-