Sort file:- Gravesend, December, 2023.

Page Updated:- Saturday, 16 December, 2023.


Earliest 1828

(Name from)

Ship and Lobster

Open 2023+

Mark Lane

Denton next Chalk


01474 324571

Ship and Lobster 1915

Above postcard, 1915, kindly sent by Rory Kehoe.

Ship and Lobster print

Above print from the book "Dickensian Inns and Taverns, 1922."

Ship and Lobster

Above photo, date unknown.

Ship and Lobster Ship and Lobster Ship and Lobster

Above photos, date unknown. Kindly supplied by John Hopperton.


Originally known as the "Lobster" in 1811 tills its change in 1828.

 This pub was mentioned by Dickens in Great Expectations, and looks much as it did in his time.


Army and Navy Gazette 7 April 1860.

"The War Department has completed the purchase of 170 acres of marsh land, extending from the "Ship and Lobster Inn," Denton, near Gravesend, to Shorne Mead Battery, for the purpose of constructing a practice range."


South Eastern Gazette, 24 July, 1860.

Death of a Female by Drowning.

An inquest was held at the "Ship and Lobster" public-house, Denton, on Wednesday, before T. Hills, Esq., coroner, on the body of a female about 60 years of age, found floating in the river on Sunday. The body, which it was supposed had been in the water but a very short time, has not been identified. The deceased wore a black satin dress, black crape shawl and drawn bonnet. A handkerchief found in her pocket was marked with the initials, S. T.

Verdict, "Found drowned."


Maidstone Journal and Kentish Advertiser 8 July 1867.


On Monday last the bodies of two men, who had evidently come by their death through drowning, were picked up near the "Ship and Lobster." The first, which was found about twelve o'clock, was in a frightful state of decomposition, the flesh having been literally washed off his head and hands. The body is supposed to be that of the captain of a brig, who fell overboard some six weeks since. The second body recovered was that of a man named Plummer, for the recovery of whose body a reward of 2 was offered. He has been missing from the yacht "Flying Scud " in Gravesend Reach, since Tuesday, June 25th. Both bodies were taken to the "Ship and Lobster."


Maidstone Journal and Kentish Advertiser, Monday 14 September 1868.

Fatal Boat Accident.

An inquest was held a few days ago at the "Ship and Lobster," before R. Hills, Esq., coroner, touching the death of George Henry Henderson.

Deceased was 20 years old, married, and a clerk engaged in London.

On the afternoon of Friday, the 4th inst., deceased, in company with a young man, took a boat from East Street and rowed down to the "Ship and Lobster," where another young man got into the boat. The party then rowed about a mile and a half further down the river. Here one of the party, whilst moving in the boat, from some cause lost his balance, and he stepping on one side, the boat was upset, and its three occupants thrown into the river. Deceased sank and was drowned, and the two others managed to reach the shore. The body of deceased was taken out of the water about an hour afterwards.

The jury found that deceased was accidentally drowned.


Gravesend Reporter, North Kent and South Essex Advertiser 26 June 1869.


Ten Minutes' Walk from the Piers, Gravesend, William Winser, Wine and Spirit Merchant Proprietor.

Good Beds and Private Sitting Rooms. Chops, and Steaks on the shortest notice. Dinners for large or small parties. Tea and Coffee. Bass's and Allsopp's Burton Ales on draught and in bottle. Shipping supplied with water, &c. Dry Skittle Ground, Quoits, Trap Ball and other amusements. An Ordinary on Sundays at 1.30.


Gravesend Reporter, North Kent and South Essex Advertiser, Saturday 9 April 1870.

"Ship and Lobster Tavern" on the riverbank 10 minutes walk from the Piers, Gravesend.

William Winser, Wine and Spirit Merchant, proprietor.

Good Beds and Private Sitting Rooms. Superior Wines and Spirits, and Malt Liquors. Dinners for large and small parties. Tea and Coffee, Bass's and Allsopp's Burton Ales on draught and in bottle. Shipping supplied with water, &c.

Dry Skittle Ground, Quilts, Trap Ball, and other amusements.

An ordinary on Sundays at 1:30.


Maidstone Journal and Kentish Advertiser, 3 September 1870.

On Wednesday a number of town tradesmen assembled in the field adjoining the "Ship and Lobster Tavern," and, after a pleasant game of cricket, sat down to an excellent dinner supplied by Mr. Winser, the landlord, whose catering gave considerable satisfaction.


Gravesend Reporter, North Kent and South Essex Advertiser, Saturday 25 November 1871.

Thomas James and David Russell, privates of the 2nd Battalion, 19th Regiment, were charged with stealing a piece of flannel, and a piece of calico, value together, 9s. 4d., the property of Ralph Hills, at Denton, on the 5th November, and John Stringer, of Gravesend, was charged with receiving the articles, well knowing them to have been stolen, at Gravesend.

Letitia Hills, prosecutors wife, said she resided with her husband at Chase Battery. On Sunday evening, the 5th November, she went with her husband into the "Ship and Lobster Tavern," Denton, carrying at the time a white paper parcel containing the articles mentioned in the charge. They remained in the "Ship and Lobster" about 20 minutes, and shortly after leaving, witness missed her parcel and remembered leaving it in a chair just inside the bar of the public house. Witnessed immediately asked a lodger at her house, who was walking with her, named Thomas Roberts, to go back for the parcel, and he went. Witness did not see the contents of the parcel again, however, until Tuesday last, it was in the possession of P.C. Gransbury, part of the flannel being made up into a shirt. When she left it at the "Ship and Lobster," the parcel contained 5 yards of flannel, and 4 of calico. The value of the articles was 9s. 4d. She identified the pieces of calico and flannel produced as part of the parcel, and the flannel shirt as being made out of the remainder. She recognise the prisoners James and Russell as having entered the "Ship and Lobster" soon after her and her husband on the evening of 5th inst.

Alfred Winsor, a boy, son of the landlord of the "Ship and Lobster Tavern," Denton, said on the 5th of November he saw the prosecutor and his wife leave the house a little before 6 o'clock in the evening. About 5 minutes afterwards he saw the soldier, Thomas James, go out with a paper parcel under his arm, and the other soldier with him. They went in the direction of Gravesend.

P.C. Gransbury said he was stationed at Chalk. On the 12th of November he received information of this robbery and proceeded with prosecutor to the Milton Barracks, near Gravesend. They saw the prisoner in the cells there. Prosecutor identified them as the two soldiers he had seen at the "Ship and Lobster." James said he had informed Hills that he had given the parcel outside of the "Ship and Lobster" to a man who said he would take it home to him. Witness told him he could prove he took the parcel in to Gravesend. Witness then went to 3, Waterside Vale, Denton, where the prisoner Russell's sister resided. He asked her if her brother and another soldier had been there on the 5th November, and she answered in the affirmative. He returned with her to the barracks, and they asked her brother what he had done with a parcel he brought to her house on the 5th November. He said it was taken to Gravesend, and sold at the "Prince of Orange" by the man who was with him (the prisoner James). Witness went to Gravesend and reported the circumstance to P.S. Fowle, and they went to the "Prince of Orange" and found that the property have been sold there. They waited thereabout half-an-hour and the prisoner Stringer came in. Witness asked him if he bought some flannel and calico in that house a week before. Prisoner asked who told him he had done so. Witness said the property was stolen, and he wanted it. Stringer owned buying the property the said he had sold it again and made a crown out of it. He said he did not know who sold it to; it was some sort of a soldier, whether a volunteer or not he could not tell. Witness went to prisoners lodgings, 3, Bull Yard, and asked the landlady if prisoner had brought any flannel home. She said yes, and that he made part of it up into a flannel shirt and Stringer had it on his back. She gave up the remainder, and witness found Stringer was wearing a flannel shirt. He apprehended the two soldiers at Chatham Barracks on Friday the 17th inst., and told them they would be charged with stealing the flannel and calico from the "Ship and Lobster." Prisoner James said he can pretty well guess what he (witness) had come for.
By prisoner James:- Witness was quite sure prisoner said he had given the parcel to a man outside the "Ship and Lobster."

P.S. Fowle corroborated the evidence of the last witness, and added that prisoner Stringer refused to give him any information as to whom he brought the property of.

James and Russell had nothing to say.

Stringer said the potman at the "Prince of Orange" was present and heard the bargain when he bought the things.

Prisoners were committed for trial at the next quarter sessions for the county.


Kentish Gazette, 11 January 1876.



(Before J. G. Talbot, Esq., M.P.)

Benjamin Starbuck and Joseph Emmous were indicted for obtaining by false pretences 15, the money of Samuel Pope, at Denton, on the 16th and 18th December.

M. Barrow prosecuted and Mr. Ribton defended.

The prosecutor in his evidence stated that he was the landlord of the "Ship and Lobster" public house near Gravesend. His house was visited by the two prisoners on the 16th October, when Starbuck said that Emmous was the captain of a foreign ship and wanted to go to London. The first named of the two prisoners asked the prosecutor to cash a note for his companion; the note was an American one. He refused their request, but leant them a 5 note, taking the American note as security. It purported to be of the value of 50 dollars; but it proved not to be of good currency. Starbuck said Emmous was a Russ. Mr. Pope was again favoured with a visit from the prisoners two days afterwards, and Starbuck then said that Emmous had been to London, and that he required an additional 30; for the purpose of clearing his ship, which had a valuable cargo. He produced documents which they said were the ships papers, but which the landlord could not understand. They also produced five or six pieces of silk and two shawls. These they offered as security and upon their representations with reference to the sip, he lent them sums varying from 10 to 15. When he discovered that the American note was a bad one, he remarked to Starbuck that he thought it was a sell, but was assured that it was all right.

Mr. Ribben contended that there was no intention to defraud the transaction amounting simply a loan.

The prisoners were convicted, but recommended to mercy in consequence of their previous good character.

The Court sentenced them to nine months' hard labour each.



Charles Whinney is mentioned as working at the "Ship and Lobtser" in 1875 and slips and breaks his ankle, however, he may also have been the licensee and seems to be one that moves about quite often.



BROWN William 1832-40+ Pigot's Directory 1832-34

CROSBY Peter James 1841-43+ (age 50 in 1841Census)

PENDRIG Thomas 1851+ (age 21 in 1851Census)

WALTER Thomas J 1855+ Next pub licensee had

WETHERSPOON John 1861-62+ (age 42 in 1861Census)

WINSER William 1869-74+ (age 48 in 1871Census)

Last pub licensee had WHINNEY Charles 1875 Next pub licensee had

POPE Samuel 1876+

WALKER George 1878-82+ (age 49 in 1881Census)

WOOLTON Martha 1891+ Census

WILLIAMS Mrs Sarah 1891+

JARVIS Henry Lewis 1903+ Kelly's 1903

WAKEFIELD Harry 1911-18+ (age 29 in 1911Census)

LOCK Thomas George 1938+

PALMER Jin 1950-27/Oct/58 dec'd

BROWN Lizzie 2020+


Pigot's Directory 1832-34From the Pigot's Directory 1832-33-34

Kelly's 1903From the Kelly's Directory 1903



If anyone should have any further information, or indeed any pictures or photographs of the above licensed premises, please email:-